March 29, 2024, 03:02:34 AM

Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Fernando Torres
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
The Spanish striker,has scored 24 goals in 33 matches so far. Amazing when you consider that it is his first season in the Premier. Most players need time to settle in a new country, league etc. But this animal is a piece of work. He scoring goals for fun and IMHO Liverpool look a better team with him on the park. Rafa pull allyuh cord yes, cause Torres is your salvation.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
tru dat...i feel once he playing like dat and d defence improve....liverpool could take d  champions league tis year.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
De man is pepper.  What ah like bout him i that he does take he kick, stay on he feet and finish off the play.  He is not the softy type of striker that is held as the Spanish stereotype.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »
and imagine benitez was 'resting' this man early season, now they out of most competitions he sweating regular...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »
Big player.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »
and imagine benitez was 'resting' this man early season, now they out of most competitions he sweating regular...

Benitez does get a lot a stick for "resting" Torres but it is really two games where he didn't start Torres when fit. Both times he came off the bench and we talking all the way back in September. Torres has been starting every league game since then, even while they were still in the Carling and FA cup.

The rest of the team gets messed around a lot but not Torres, Gerrard or Carragher.

On the other hand SAF still resting Rooney and Ronaldo and when he resting guys he will sometimes leave them off the team sheet completely. As for Avram Grant, possibly a bigger tinkerer than Ranieri. He moving like he playing championship manager.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
Always showed potential to be a deadly striker but while at Atletico he started to get a reputation for needing too many opportunities to score...seems to be turning that around in England....

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »

Benitez does get a lot a stick for "resting" Torres but it is really two games where he didn't start Torres when fit. Both times he came off the bench and we talking all the way back in September. Torres has been starting every league game since then, even while they were still in the Carling and FA cup.

The rest of the team gets messed around a lot but not Torres, Gerrard or Carragher.

On the other hand SAF still resting Rooney and Ronaldo and when he resting guys he will sometimes leave them off the team sheet completely. As for Avram Grant, possibly a bigger tinkerer than Ranieri. He moving like he playing championship manager.

Torres has featured in all but three contests for Liverpool this season.  Raffa rested him once in October, once in November and then just over a week ago.  Outside of that he's played 45 mins or less on only 4 occasions all season.  The man has been a workhorse for us ever since he joined the EPL last summer...I really don't know where all this 'resting' talk coming from, seems like Raffa has handled him well.

Remarkable really how well he has adjusted to the EPL game...hard to think of another La Liga player who has had as seamless a transition to the EPL as he's had.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 06:05:57 AM »
good Observ Observer....lol

ah tell Small Mag Torres real special....( well he know as much)...

Torres got that thing....where he stares at you and runs  straight at you....scary
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 06:48:41 AM »

Torres has featured in all but three contests for Liverpool this season.  Raffa rested him once in October, once in November and then just over a week ago.  Outside of that he's played 45 mins or less on only 4 occasions all season.  The man has been a workhorse for us ever since he joined the EPL last summer...I really don't know where all this 'resting' talk coming from, seems like Raffa has handled him well.

Remarkable really how well he has adjusted to the EPL game...hard to think of another La Liga player who has had as seamless a transition to the EPL as he's had.

It's difficult to think of any with the same impact. But in terms of adjustment there are quite a few La Liga players who came to the EPL and played at a higher level than they did in La Liga and played important roles for their clubs.

Xavi Alonzo and Cesc Fabregas come to mind. Alonzo was pretty boss in his first season at Liverpool. Showed real class. Everyone knows Fabregas story. Altough he may not qualify as a La Liga player. Safe to say he was starring in the EPL at a time that he would have been in Barca reserves.

Luis Garcia went from relative obscurity at Barca to being a very important player for Liverpool in his first season. Particularly known for scoring some big goals in big games. He can be inconsistent, but the point being, he looked a much better player in the EPL than he has ever looked in Spain, at Barca or Atletico where he is now. Made the Spanish national team while in the EPL

Always liked Arteta at Everton.

Belletti looks well settled at Chelsea. Getting more playing time and scoring some spectacular goals along with some all round good play.

Lauren good player in Spain....big players in the EPL when he first arrived.

Ivan Campo and Geremi went from bechwarming defenders in Spain to midfielders in the EPL and are bigger players in England than they were in Spain from the day they arrived.

Alot is made of La Liga players who don't make it in the EPL..but just as many if not more actually thrive than fail when they head to England.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
It's difficult to think of any with the same impact. But in terms of adjustment there are quite a few La Liga players who came to the EPL and played at a higher level than they did in La Liga and played important roles for their clubs.

Xavi Alonzo and Cesc Fabregas come to mind. Alonzo was pretty boss in his first season at Liverpool. Showed real class. Everyone knows Fabregas story. Altough he may not qualify as a La Liga player. Safe to say he was starring in the EPL at a time that he would have been in Barca reserves.

Luis Garcia went from relative obscurity at Barca to being a very important player for Liverpool in his first season. Particularly known for scoring some big goals in big games. He can be inconsistent, but the point being, he looked a much better player in the EPL than he has ever looked in Spain, at Barca or Atletico where he is now. Made the Spanish national team while in the EPL

Always liked Arteta at Everton.

Belletti looks well settled at Chelsea. Getting more playing time and scoring some spectacular goals along with some all round good play.

Lauren good player in Spain....big players in the EPL when he first arrived.

Ivan Campo and Geremi went from bechwarming defenders in Spain to midfielders in the EPL and are bigger players in England than they were in Spain from the day they arrived.

Alot is made of La Liga players who don't make it in the EPL..but just as many if not more actually thrive than fail when they head to England.

Yuh call some good players there...Xabi has slowed some since his torrid start, but Raffa still seems high on him though with the new contract last summer.  His brother appears lost at Bolton, not sure that he'll be retained at the end of the year.  Defenders seem to have a better time adapting, which may indicate that the pace isn't as big a problem for them as you'd think...Arbeloa hasn't been able to displace Finnan as many expected, but that signing could hardly be called a failure as well. 

Campo is a key cog in the Bolton mid...and the quality of his contribution is underscored by the fact that the man ent exactly ah spring chicken and still mixing it up in there well.  I think for Arteta he's been a victim of Everton's overally inconsistency otherwise we might be hearing more of his name.  Of all the names you called though I think the only one to rival Torres' performance has been Fabregas...his goal total has been paltry, but he fills such a big role for Arsenal that you simply can't measure his contributions from just his tallies.  Without a doubt he's the piston that drives Arsenal's engine...and de yute's still only 21 at that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:24:00 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
Defenders seem to have a better time adapting, which may indicate that the pace isn't as big a problem for them as you'd think...

I think the spotlight on defenders isn't as bright..unless a def is repeatedly making school boy errors, ordinary or even slightly sub par performances don't stand out as much as a striker who's working hard and doing almost everything right, but having a tough time finding the net consistently.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
Defenders seem to have a better time adapting, which may indicate that the pace isn't as big a problem for them as you'd think...

I think the spotlight on defenders isn't as bright..unless a def is repeatedly making school boy errors, ordinary or even slightly sub par performances don't stand out as much as a striker who's working hard and doing almost everything right, but having a tough time finding the net consistently.

agreed..

I think also the accepted phenomenon of foreign players being unable to make a mark in their first seasons is much more evident with strikers than in any other positions...

Plenty defenders and midfielders come to the EPL and make solid impressions in their debut seasons, but it is rare that a striker from abroad comes and instantly lights the league afire.. Which makes Torres' achievement all the more special..

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 05:28:27 PM »

agreed..

I think also the accepted phenomenon of foreign players being unable to make a mark in their first seasons is much more evident with strikers than in any other positions...

Plenty defenders and midfielders come to the EPL and make solid impressions in their debut seasons, but it is rare that a striker from abroad comes and instantly lights the league afire.. Which makes Torres' achievement all the more special..

Not sure if that is statistically accurate or just perception. But I agree that it def. seems that way. Your wording might highlight the mindset that perpetuates the perception...solid performance by defenders compared to forwards who light it up. If you look at it though, I think a lot of foreign strikers do well in their first season. But the high profile first season disappointments of a Shevchenko or a Crespo will always overshadow. This season I think Torres and Roque Santa Cruz are the only two foreign strikers who you could safely say hit the EPL running in their first season. Last season it was Benny McCarthy, Berbatov, Tevez, Kuyt Obafemi Martin, Clint Dempsey, John Carew...quite a few who either met or exceeded expectations. Full agree that it is rare for one to light it up like Torres. BUt not so rare that they thrive.

By the way..allyuh hear the Carew chant? Sometimes yuh could hear fans sing over the program broadcast. You could hear..'Carew, Carew, Carew is on fire...We doh need to water let de.....' I find some of the songs real funny and I like dat one

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
Buh ah tort dey seh somebody else was de best striker in de EPL?  ??? 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »
he not faster than meh boy
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »

yeh but he scores more than yuh boy...

Anyway..He rell getting on bad.. but we will lock his ass down if he try to come round...

btw saw this online...very interesting ;D

Here is an extract from Fernando Torres upcoming autobiography.

"Flying into Manchester airport for the signing was one of the most exciting days of my career. The limo transferring me took a while longer to reach the ground than I expected but once there I was greeted by a sea of red. The chanting and atmosphere were brilliant and it all passed by in a blur.

Once inside the ground I was greeted by the manager, the first time we had met face to face. He was a lot heavier than I expected but spoke to me in good Spanish which made me feel most welcome. We went straight into a conference room for the official signing.

After I had put pen to paper the manager turned to me and said "Welcome to the biggest club in the World".

I said thank you and asked "When will I meet Wayne and Cristiano"?

There followed about ten minutes of confusion from which it transpired that there are two clubs in the North West of England known as the "Reds" and my idiot agent had got them mixed up.

However I had signed so had to get on with it. Benitez was known as the "Gaffer". I asked Stevie G (the only other player at the club who could control the ball) why this was.

He explained that in English "gaffe" is an embarassing mistake. Apparently even the owners called Rafa "gaffer".

All I can do now is play really well and hope that Real, Barca or possibly Barnsley come and save me from my nightmare.

Some days after training I drive from Liverpool to Manchester and sit outside Old Trafford and dream of what might have been. I can sit there for hours.

Then Stevie will nudge me and say "Come on Nando, we have to go back".

We drive silently back to the gaffer.

Taken from "How did I get here?" by Fernando Torres.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2204500394&topic=8838

giggsy11

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »

yeh but he scores more than yuh boy...

Anyway..He rell getting on bad.. but we will lock his ass down if he try to come round...

btw saw this online...very interesting ;D

Here is an extract from Fernando Torres upcoming autobiography.

"Flying into Manchester airport for the signing was one of the most exciting days of my career. The limo transferring me took a while longer to reach the ground than I expected but once there I was greeted by a sea of red. The chanting and atmosphere were brilliant and it all passed by in a blur.

Once inside the ground I was greeted by the manager, the first time we had met face to face. He was a lot heavier than I expected but spoke to me in good Spanish which made me feel most welcome. We went straight into a conference room for the official signing.

After I had put pen to paper the manager turned to me and said "Welcome to the biggest club in the World".

I said thank you and asked "When will I meet Wayne and Cristiano"?

There followed about ten minutes of confusion from which it transpired that there are two clubs in the North West of England known as the "Reds" and my idiot agent had got them mixed up.

However I had signed so had to get on with it. Benitez was known as the "Gaffer". I asked Stevie G (the only other player at the club who could control the ball) why this was.

He explained that in English "gaffe" is an embarassing mistake. Apparently even the owners called Rafa "gaffer".

All I can do now is play really well and hope that Real, Barca or possibly Barnsley come and save me from my nightmare.

Some days after training I drive from Liverpool to Manchester and sit outside Old Trafford and dream of what might have been. I can sit there for hours.

Then Stevie will nudge me and say "Come on Nando, we have to go back".

We drive silently back to the gaffer.

Taken from "How did I get here?" by Fernando Torres.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2204500394&topic=8838

LMAO! Smalls yuh aint easy nuh! Ah will be diasppointed if ah find out yuh aint become a rich fella! Make sure yuh put yuh talents tuh use! Dat was some funny shit!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 08:16:15 PM »
he said he saw it online

anyways funny article
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
Ah cyah believe Torres eh geh no service on this thread since '08.

Anyhow, what really catches my attention is the report that Milan plans to make the loan arrangement permanent, but then loan him to Atleti ...

The question is ... good business or bad?

1]; } ?>