March 29, 2024, 05:32:14 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad and Tobago WCQs  (Read 1863 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago WCQs
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »
Within the last year and a half we have attempted to qualify for 4 World Cups and have failed. Even with 3 1/2 spots and 4 spots up for grabs we have failed to secure any World Cup Berths. In 3 of the 4 qualifiers the odds were on our side to qualify, but unfortunately we did not make those odds count.

These failures cannot be a good thing for our football. To be fair, we do not have a true history of qualifying for WCs. However, one would think, believe, hope, that our football would have improved? If it did improve, then our regional neighbors have matched or out paced us in football development.

This begs the questions:

Where, to whom, do we turn?
How do we close the gaps to be able to secure 1 out of 4 spots in a WCQ?
How to be succeed against distractions within and on the peripheral of our football?
How do we attract leaders who will accept responsibility for our football development?
How do we give our players the edge?

2013 U17 WWCQ - CONCACAF 2 spots = DNQ
2014 U20 WWCQ - CONCACAF 3 spots = DNQ
2014       WWCQ - CONCACAF 3 1/2 spots = DNQ

2015 U17 MWCQ - CONCACAF 4 spots = TBD
2015 U20 MWCQ - CONCACAF 4 spots = DNQ

*2014 MNT - Caribbean Cup Finalist - Gold Cup Qualification.*
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad and Tobago WCQs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:56:37 PM »
Within the last year and a half we have attempted to qualify for 4 World Cups and have failed. Even with 3 1/2 spots and 4 spots up for grabs we have failed to secure any World Cup Berths. In 3 of the 4 qualifiers the odds were on our side to qualify, but unfortunately we did not make those odds count.

How were the odds on our side?

These failures cannot be a good thing for our football.

It depends on perspective... all things being equal then yes the failure to qualify would itself be a "failure" and a negative development for our football.  However, all things have not been equal, haven't been equal for most of the last decade.

If [our football] did improve, then our regional neighbors have matched or out paced us in football development.

Failure to qualify can be an indictment of development, but not necessarily so.  Has Bosnian football outpaced the development of Swedish, Danish or Scottish football?

This begs the questions:

How do we close the gaps to be able to secure 1 out of 4 spots in a WCQ?

1. Invest in youth football with an eye towards identifying a core pool of Senior National Team candidates for a specified future campaign (ex. Qatar 2022).
2. Secure funding so as to provide coaching, training (inclusive of medical and dietary components) and competition for that developmental squad from now thru qualification.

How do we attract leaders who will accept responsibility for our football development?

This question assumes that we don't already have such leaders.  However:
1. Revamp the organizational and administrative structure of local football, thereby unfettering the hands of the local FA.
2. Secure government and/or corporate support for initiatives.
3. Commit to partnering with and supporting said leaders, rather than coalescing against and undermining them.

How do we give our players the edge?

See all the above.

:thumbsup:

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail...simple as that.

Aside from the fact the TTFA and Ministry of Sport did not give these teams a chance with their lack of investment financially the facilities in T&T are beyond pathetic. Government are in charge of over 95% of facilities for our Footballers and other sportsmen/women to train etc and they have simply not given a flying f**k about the standards of these facilities.

Without proper investment and training and playing facilities we have no chance to push on and catch up with the rest of the region.

Of course that's just 1 piece of it...Proper equipment is another factor.
The Coaching standard in T&T is another huge factor against us progressing. Majority of our coaches are Ignorant, Uneducated and Selfish. Most with all 3.

We really need a blueprint run by an excellent TD and support staff with development coaches in different age groups. Proper scouts working under one philosophy. Conditioning coaches, Physio's, Goalkeeping coaches etc

All certified by the TTFA and their T.D.

I would also make it manditory that all coaches within T&T must be certified and under the T.D's blueprint/philosophy for all levels of coaching. Academies, Primary and Secondary Schools, Coaching Schools and Clubs.

During the courses etc the T.D and his staff will identify coaches who they will invest further in and set up a national pool of coaches for all youth age groups. From this set you will find your managers as in the Head Coach style and your coaches (assistants) , the managers will show man management skills and a higher level of communication, control, understanding and tactical knowledge..

Everyone has to sing from the same hymn sheet on and off the field .....but this is Trinidad , I really doubt we can work together for one collective goal or have any Football Association and Government fully back it financially without involving itself in some money scandal or politics who like who, who hate who thing.

Sad but until the supposed men in the power positions stop acting like a bunch of immature children then we have no chance to progress this game that we all love.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
Banton, to say all our local coaches stupid, uneducated and selfish is real disingenuous. I went to the convention center in Philly last Saturday for the annual U.S. coaches convention. LP lectured on proper goal keeping. I saw a couple of Trini coaches there. I saw Mike Grayson, Muhammed Issa and his son. Kendal Walkes, Chala Dore, Brent Leiba, Sheldon Phillips, a dude named Defour who used to play for Tecsa.one named Alrazi, Jeremy Short, Desiree Sargent, Spencer, psychologist called Ottey or Ottley, Gerald Walker. There was  adude formerly from La horquetta. I forget he name. And there were some, I did not get their names either. So don,t  dump on the Trini coaches, local or foreign. Quite a few have education and not as selfish as you may believe. If being selfish mean going abroad for improvement, then let them stay selfish.

By the way, I met Howard coach  Philip Grau at the convention and he is supposed to be in TT this week or next.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
Banton, to say all our local coaches stupid, uneducated and selfish is real disingenuous. I went to the convention center in Philly last Saturday for the annual U.S. coaches convention. LP lectured on proper goal keeping. I saw a couple of Trini coaches there. I saw Mike Grayson, Muhammed Issa and his son. Kendal Walkes, Chala Dore, Brent Leiba, Sheldon Phillips, a dude named Defour who used to play for Tecsa.one named Alrazi, Jeremy Short, Desiree Sargent, Spencer, psychologist called Ottey or Ottley, Gerald Walker. There was  adude formerly from La horquetta. I forget he name. And there were some, I did not get their names either. So don,t  dump on the Trini coaches, local or foreign. Quite a few have education and not as selfish as you may believe. If being selfish mean going abroad for improvement, then let them stay selfish.

By the way, I met Howard coach  Philip Grau at the convention and he is supposed to be in TT this week or next.

You should have hit me up... would have been good to see Walker again too, after all these years.  Makes sense now why Sheldon Phillips was in Philly.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:26:55 PM »
Deeks I specifically said Majority

I would say 10%-15% of the local coaches are at a good level or have the potential to progress our game.... the rest are not good enough as they are outdated, not certified, lack man management skills, lack communication skills and do not see the big picture in terms of development at youth level. They all want to win u14 youth league as If it's La Liga or EPL. I have no problems with instilling winning mentality but when it comes at a cost to developing players ...I have seen this with my own eyes having coached at that level and u16 I know it for a fact.

This whole 4-4-2 , strongman 6 foot 2 lanky man up top to RUN at dem football is outdated and unsuccessful. If we were competing against Concacaf using that philosophy then fine use it but the fact is we can't string 5 passes together against higher opposition because same strong man can't pass a ball 5 feet or control under pressure and keep possession....meanwhile 5 foot 8 technically gifted player is on a bench all season during Intercol because "coachman" thinks he too soft and don't run around like a headless chicken chasing a ball up and down because nobody keeping it on the floor for a period of time.

Jokers yes
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:38:39 PM by Banter Banton »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 05:48:40 AM »
Banter Banton:I have seen what you have said,over and over,it keeps happening,another thing is most of our players,both seniors and juniors have an atrocious first touch.I have seen us give the ball to the opposition from our first touch.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »
Banton, I would not dispute your claim because I went thru the same thing as a kid in TT. Like I have said before, unless the pro teams develope their own acadamies, this problem will remain. Them Mexican clubs have real acadamies. They have the youths playing football and attend classes at the same premises. They have the time to teach them the right way to do things and they practice over and over again. We don't have that yet. maybe Connection is the closest organization that I can compare. The TTDF should be way above most clubs because they have the resources and time  to do what the overseas proclubs are doing. So from that aspect they behind the curve. All the things you guys want local football to adapt needs money. And they don't have money.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
I was thinking that the pro league clubs have an affiliation with schools to facilitate both academic and footballing development. I admit I havent fully thought it out to firm up how it could work. However the amount of time academy players spend doing ball work and then class straight after, I cant see any other way we can apply and emulate that locally to meet many of the issues that we face structurally.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>