March 28, 2024, 10:45:06 AM

Author Topic: Shannon Gomez Thread.  (Read 23400 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shannon Gomez Thread.
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gomez: Red Bulls will provide an excellent test
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »
Gomez: Red Bulls will provide an excellent test
NYCFC.com

NYCFC’s first Desert Diamond Cup game is looming into view and Shannon Gomez believes that it will be a friendly with a little added heat.

Any game between the two local rivals will inevitably draw more attention from fans of both teams than your average preseason encounter.

However, Shannon still believes that ultimately this match will just be a case of finding out where the team are at as we build up to 2017.

Gomez told NYCFC.com: “I think for me it’s going to be a game I want to play in but I’d be happy to play against any other team on the field at this stage.

“I think playing Red Bulls is always going to be a heated match in certain aspects of the game but in terms of what we can take away from the game it’s just going to be excellent for us to test ourselves.

“We’ve just arrived in Tucson so we’re just getting the legs going, getting the blood flowing and getting some games in. The intensity is really high in training at the moment and the boys are clearly raring to go.

“I think the first half of preseason was excellent – we tried to carry out the coaches’ instructions and carry out their plans and we tried to implement what we’re trying to do in the sessions in the games, executing on our plans.

“Everybody complied to it and it’s a great sign going into the start of the season. It’s always vital to get off on the right foot in preseason and I think that’s happening, It’s just about sharpening up and getting some more games in while we’re here.”

Shannon featured in his second preseason game against SC Emelec in Ecuador last Wednesday and now he’s eager for more opportunities to impress with competition for places high in Head Coach Patrick Vieira’s team.

A player who endured a cruel 2016 season due to injuries, now the Trinidadian is firmly focused on looking ahead rather than peering into the rear view mirror.

“Ecuador was excellent – great fans, great atmosphere and a match against an excellent team,” Shannon said.

“The whole experience of it was something special for us and great exposure for our club. To experience the speed of the opposition and the physicality for our young team, it was a plus for us and going into a new season you can take some positives from that.

“I’m feeling really good – it was always part of the mind to keep yourself going, staying focused every day and not worrying about injuries or anything like that.

“I’m just trying to do the right things – to be myself on the field day in and day out.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »
CLICK HERE to get your authentic 2016/17 Shannon Gomez New York City FC jerseys

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shannon Gomez joins Pittsburgh Riverhounds on loan
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
Shannon Gomez joins Pittsburgh Riverhounds on loan
riverhounds.com

The Pittsburgh Riverhounds have received defender Shannon Gomez on loan from New York City FC of MLS. Gomez, who recently became a permanent acquisition of NYCFC after originally signing on loan in 2016, is expected to compete for the Hounds for the remainder of the 2017 campaign.

MLS has entered into a 2017 Standard USL Loan Agreement for Gomez. This agreement contains a right of recall for MLS, which enables Gomez to play for a USL club and an MLS club throughout the duration of the loan period (through the end of 2017), subject to roster rules and compliance.

Head coach Dave Brandt said he expects Gomez to bring much needed depth and talent to a depleted Hounds back four, which has suffered a variety of injuries, including losing right back Rich Balchan in April to a season-ending Achilles injury.

“This was an opportunity for us to acquire a really sharp, quick, experienced young player from a top organization like New York City FC,” Brandt said. “We’ve obviously dealt with some injuries in the back and having a young, talented player like Shannon, who can play right back, will help us moving forward this season.”

Prior to joining NYCFC, Gomez, 20, played at W Connection of the Trinidad and Tobago League, where he began his professional career in 2014. He played every minute of the club’s four-game run in the 2015-16 CONCACAF Champions League appearance, including a 2-1 victory over Costa Rican side Saprissa.

Gomez was initially added by NYCFC as a Discovery Signing on loan in 2016, before officially signing a permanent contract this past offseason. He has yet to make his first team debut for NYCFC, dressing once in 2016 as a bench player for a 0-0 draw against the Chicago Fire on April 11.

A native of Chaguanas, Trinidad & Tobago, Gomez also has extensive experience in international competition, beginning in the T&T youth ranks in 2012. The defender’s most notable playing time with The Soca Warriors came in 2015, as he made two appearances for the national team and played in all five games at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championships.

The club expects Gomez to be available for its next match on Tuesday, July 4 against the Charlotte Independence at Highmark Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Tickets are still available and can be purchased at Riverhounds.com.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
Not a good place for this kid to be

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »

Does not look good. That is a demotion as far as I am concern. All yuh think Kazakhstan is a better option?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »

Does not look good. That is a demotion as far as I am concern. All yuh think Kazakhstan is a better option?

Not necessarily. It relly eh no different than how EPL teams does loan some players to Championship teams. De fact is he has never played an MLS game for NYCFC, and he needs some playing time. A few of our players have been loaned out to USL or NASL teams while they were in the MLS. Kevan George, Carlyle Mitchell, Julius James, and Yohance Marshall come to mind.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
In this instance I'm talking about the organization and how they do things as it is not a good fit for his development

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »

Not necessarily. It relly eh no different than how EPL teams does loan some players to Championship teams. De fact is he has never played an MLS game for NYCFC, and he needs some playing time. A few of our players have been loaned out to USL or NASL teams while they were in the MLS. Kevan George, Carlyle Mitchell, Julius James, and Yohance Marshall come to mind.

At least he will be playing and have a greater opportunity for development than sitting on the bench in MLS without playing.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

At least he will be playing and have a greater opportunity for development than sitting on the bench in MLS without playing.

Eh heh yeah sure
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:00:58 PM by MEP »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »
Like is a coordinated effort by mls to release all the Trinis the same time. Conspir-rass-cy.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
Like is a coordinated effort by mls to release all the Trinis the same time. Conspir-rass-cy.
either that or they join the  "we buss allyuh ass" sing-a-long and management get vex..but seriously, Williams and Cato showed potential but hardly saw improvement or worth.. a la JJ... This does not bode well if we can't get our players to experience higher leagues, and also advertise TT as a potential market for role players, as Jamaica has done, therby increasing their pool and choices.. Pro League experience alone, will most certainly guarantee us more cutass in the future.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
Yea that's 4 of our players released by MLS clubs thus far. Hopefully these guys can be picked up by other clubs.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
apart from Joevin and kevin...who has fallen off some, how many were standouts for those clubs....it may well be a deliberate culling, but can any claim a stake to being indispensably assets.......Joevin flat out tell Seattle to f**k off when dey try to pull dat hold up shit dey pull in away leg and still was "welcomed" back, want to guess why?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:18:49 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sacramento Republic FC sign Shannon Gomez
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
Sacramento Republic FC sign versatile Trinidad and Tobago national team player Shannon Gomez
sacrepublicfc.com

Sacramento Republic FC have agreed to a USL contract with Shannon Gomez for the 2018 season, with a club option for the 2019 season, pending league and federation approval.

“Shannon is a very dynamic outside back that can get forward and really help us in the attack,” said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant.“After a two-year stint with NYCFC, he is hungry to play and contribute to our squad.”

Gomez joins Republic FC after playing the last two seasons with MLS side New York City FC. Gomez originally joined NYCFC on loan from W Connection F.C., a first division club in Trinidad and Tobago.  Despite not logging minutes in an MLS match, Gomez impressed NYCFC enough to earn a contract with the club. He made his debut with NYCFC on June 15, 2016 during U.S. Open Cup play in which the NY Cosmos defeated NYCFC in the fourth round. 

In 2017, the 21-year-old joined the Pittsburgh Riverhounds on loan from NYCFC.  Gomez made 10 appearances with the Riverhounds, including seven starts and recorded an assist.

Gomez capped for the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 National Team and led the Soca Warriors to the 2014 Caribbean title. Gomez has been called up to the National Team three times.

Sacramento Republic FC began training camp on Feb. 1 and will host their first 2018 friendly on Feb. 15 against MLS side Seattle Sounders FC, followed by a friendly versus MLS newcomers Los Angeles Football Club on Feb. 25.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
Really wish him the best, but he needs to get out of the USL - a player can get lost and forgotten down there. If he sticks it out the best he can hope for is a change to promotion/relegation that some of the USA soccer head candidates have suggested.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
Shannon Gomez sparkles against Seattle Sounders 2.

“Gomez is a defensive player, but his aggressiveness in offensive attacks really helped create pressure. His constant crosses and speed really made things uncomfortable for Seattle. He also managed to draw the biggest foul of the night which resulted in a penalty and Sacramento’s only goal.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Defender Shannon Gomez named to USL Team of the Week (#18)
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
Gomez shone brightly as part of a Republic FC backline that allowed just one goal across 180 minutes, with Sacramento picking up a clean sheet against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC and conceding one goal against Swope Park Rangers. Gomez made 12 interceptions and won seven tackles across the two-match road trip.
https://www.sacrepublicfc.com/news_article/show/934837

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunday Spotlight with Shannon Gomez (Friday edition)
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Sunday Spotlight with Shannon Gomez (Friday edition)
By William Hodges (indomitablecitysoccer.com)

I recently caught up with Sacramento Republic FC defender Shannon Gomez. It was something that I wanted to do for some time, so it was good to finally talk with the first-year defender from Trinidad and Tobago. We talked about the season so far, how he would evaluate his play, what he does away from the pitch, and more.

Normally I would have scheduled this to publish on Sunday as part of our Sunday Spotlight series, but with swim championships set for this weekend (yes, all weekend), I’m pushing this interview out today.

I found Gomez to be extremely personable, funny and someone that is really happy to be in Sacramento. It’s worth noting because sometimes this doesn’t come out in a transcribed interview. Anyway, enough of the chit chat. Below is my interview with Gomez.

We’ve been trying to catch up with your some time now Shannon. Have you enjoyed your time with the Republic so far?

I have. I’m having a lot of fun with Sacramento Republic. I am just trying to do well in the games, interact with the fans and the city. I’ve fallen in love with this club. The atmosphere [at Papa Murphy’s Park] is very crazy. It’s something that I think anybody would want to come and experience.

The city is very much behind us..win, lose or draw. The [fans] are always there. As the season has progressed, I’ve just become more comfortable and confident. I feel like every time I go out on the pitch, I owe Sacramento something.

How would you evaluate your own play? You seem to be comfortable in the left back spot, which was key to the two wins last week.

I think it’s just a mental thing. Obviously, I am a right-wing back, can play right-winger probably too. I think it’s more on the mental side when the coach decides...hey, we need you to play this position, [you have to say] I’m just going to give it 110 percent. I’m going to play to the best of my abilities. When coach Elliott put me at left back, I was just ready to my job. I think it was better for the team and we came away with two wins in a row, which is big for us. We needed that.

Where do you think the club is at right now?

I think we’re in a good place right now in terms of the season. We’ve put some pressure on teams with the last two wins. We’re not satisfied. We’re hungry for more. We want to be that team at the end of the season. That’s everyone’s individual and common goal.

I think right now, we’ve been doing well, but we want to hold ourselves to higher standards. We want to win games more convincingly. We want to close games out with clean sheets. We want to make our home field a fortress. Somewhere that opposing teams don’t want to play.

We have little areas where we still need to improve, which we’re working on. The trophy is there for us. Everyone is going to fight to get there, but it comes down to who wants it the most. We are going to prepare ourselves to be that team as best as we can.

Talk about your experience with your national team. What is it like putting on the uniform and representing your country?

I think it’s an honor for any player to represent their national team. I’ve cherished the opportunity. Every moment that I’ve gotten to play for the national team, even starting back from U20s, was a special moment in my life. As soon as I put on the red, black and white, I’m very honored to play for my country.

[And] I look forward to being back there at some point. Trinidad and Tobago is a small country, but has a big passion for the game. They take pride in terms of what they want you to bring to the national team. There is always a lot of belief going into games...we’ve done it with some of the best. We’ve done it with local players also. What can you bring to the table?

When you’re not on the pitch, what do you like to do to unwind?

I like hanging out with my teammates. It creates a closer bond between us. [It allows] us to understand each other better because we come from all walks of life. I like going to places where you can relax, like the pool or going to a water park. Just somewhere where you’re not thinking about soccer the whole time. We’re always locked into the week to get ready for games, but at some point, [you need] to refresh yourself, [go] get some food with some friends and learn something new besides soccer.

I usually hang out with our captain Jeremy Hall because of his knowledge and expertise. He’s been in the game a long time and shares his experiences and things he does to prepare himself for games, but he’s also a guy who knows all of Sacramento, so he’s someone I hang out with most of the time. We listen to music, play some basketball...which I am terrible at by the way [laughs].

Any fun, quirky thing about you that fans wouldn’t know?

[Laughs]. I’m a joker. I really try not to take life too seriously. Some moments I’m funny, some moments I’m not, but most times...I’ve very goofy. Most people probably know that by now. But on the field, I’m a whole different character. I just transform when it’s game time. At the end of the day, I probably want to win the game more than the opponent does, but off the field, I’m probably one of the biggest jokesters and that’s what my teammates know me to be. I’m one of the guys always dancing in the dressing room, horsing around with Wilson [Kneeshaw], playing music.

That’s just me. I just like to smile. Nothing too crazy. Just [trying to have] fun...it keeps us from being too uptight and serious with each other sometimes.

Thank you to Shannon Gomez for spending some time talking with us. You can follow him on Twitter at @ShannonGomez02.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »
WATCH: Interview with Sacramento Republic FC Defender Shannon Gomez. He talks about preparation for the 2019 USL Championship season and more.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B6a1YC359Vc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B6a1YC359Vc</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »
While we’re on the topic of searching for fresh faces to boost the senior team, whatever happened to Shannon gomez, is he healthy and willing?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2019, 05:07:13 AM »
While we’re on the topic of searching for fresh faces to boost the senior team, whatever happened to Shannon gomez, is he healthy and willing?

He is one of those who have been ignored despite being a consistent starter at his clubs (apart from New York City FC) and turning in good performances for his club. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee in August, so he will be out for a while. Like Molino, that is the second ACL injury of his young career. Up until the injury, he played the most minutes of any player for Sacramento Republic FC for the season.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »

He is one of those who have been ignored despite being a consistent starter at his clubs (apart from New York City FC) and turning in good performances for his club. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee in August, so he will be out for a while. Like Molino, that is the second ACL injury of his young career. Up until the injury, he played the most minutes of any player for Sacramento Republic FC for the season.
even though I’m not supposed to believe in magic and bad omen i can’t help but acknowledge since the appointment of mr DJ williams we have been very unlucky in various aspects. Cummings shooting  molino’s injury  then hodges  then the string of bad decisions going against us by referees then missing out on the copa the gold cup and all the other age groups losing terribly missing out on other concacaf tournaments and the obvious decline of women’s football, has all been a thorn in our paw. never have I seen such a bad string of events.

honestly the past four years was a big gloomy ugly cloud that rained nothing but bad luck and disappointment on TT football, can’t wait to see the end of it, what a very gloomy disappointing four years it has been with absolutely nothing to look forward too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:59:40 AM by pull stones »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shannon Gomez rejoins Sacramento Republic FC for 2020
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
Shannon Gomez rejoins Sacramento Republic FC for 2020
Republic FC Communications

Sacramento Republic FC announced today it has reached a new agreement with defender Shannon Gomez. Terms of the new deal were not disclosed.

“Shannon has been excellent for us the past two seasons,” said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. “He takes his defending personally, and we look forward to getting a healthy Shannon Gomez back on the field next season.”

Despite missing the last three months of the 2019 season, Gomez still finished sixth on the team in clearances (37) and seventh in tackles won (25).

The 23-year-old had successful surgery in August to repair a meniscus and torn ACL in his right knee that he sustained during the second half of the regular season. Prior to the injury, the defender led the entire team in minutes played (1,495) and made 18 appearances in league play this season (21 in all competitions), 17 of which were starts.

In 2018, the defender was a mainstay in the Republic FC back line where he made 34 appearances, 33 as starts. Gomez contributed a goal and an assist as he helped to lead the Sacramento defense to the best defensive record in the Western Conference. 

The fullback arrived in Sacramento prior to the 2018 season after playing two seasons in Major League Soccer with New York City FC. Gomez originally joined NYCFC on loan from W Connection FC, a first division club in Trinidad and Tobago. While under contract with the MLS-club, Gomez was loaned out to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds where he made 10 appearances and tallied an assist.

Gomez has also represented his national team, having been capped by the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 National Team. He’s led the Soca Warriors to the 2014 Caribbean title and has been called up to the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Team three times.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Resiliency and toughness, just two of Shannon Gomez's many strengths
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
Resiliency and toughness, just two of Shannon Gomez's many strengths
By William Strome (sacrepublicfc.com)

While the Indomitable Club’s right back has been recovering from a leg injury, Shannon Gomez’s razor-sharp focus and positive frame of mind has the defender feeling fantastic and dreaming of his debut return upon the restart of the regular season.

Toughness isn’t defined strictly by stature or strength. It’s not defined by a particular amount of weight one can lift or a length of distance one can run. Toughness is about grit, determination, and a ruthless desire to overcome obstacles – no matter how daunting or painful they may be. 

Shannon Gomez personifies every sense of the word – tough – and he plays with that tenacious resolve every moment he’s competing in a match.

The speedy fullback whose previously been called-up to the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Team isn’t a towering a guy, but he’s the type of defender that lets his tackling do all the talking. And he’ll be the first to tell you, whether it’s the ball or the man, he never lets both get by him while patrolling the back line.

“That's the mindset I always had growing up, a lot of my coaches would tell me is I’m one of the players who is going to refuse to be outworked,” Gomez said. “On the field, it’s either you go, or the ball goes because both of you aren’t going to pass. Pick one because this is what they pay me to do, I can’t let both pass so either I get the man, or I get the ball. That’s just my mindset and I feel like I’ve never strayed away from that.”

Gomez takes a no-nonsense, business-like approach to his defending. While he’s arguably one of the toughest players in the league, both mentally and physically, he’s unquestionably also one of the most kind and genuine. Gomez is effortlessly cool and smooth, and he carries himself that way on the pitch.

He’s also willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good of the team and give everything he has for the guys alongside him – his own body included.  That means fighting through fatigue or sometimes, even playing through pain.

And a July encounter against Orange County in 2019 was the moment Gomez knew something was wrong.

Midway through the midseason USL Championship regular season fixture against OCSC, as the wing back was manning the flanks as he always does for the boys in Old Glory Red when the injury was first felt.

“I remember the exact moment it happened during the game but I don’t remember feeling like, ‘oh, my ACL is torn,’ but I knew my meniscus might have been torn because I heard a pop,” Gomez said when thinking back on the injury. “It was right around the 33rd minute and I played the whole game, so I didn’t have a lot of problems there.”

He was aware something was off, but his toughness and competitive hunger – both of which are second nature to the Trinidad and Tobago international – kept him out there.

“I finished the game  and then the team [physicians] told me to shut it down because if it’s up to me, I’m playing,” Gomez said. “I was told to get an MRI and the results said I had a torn meniscus and when they went in there it looked like my ACL was torn and it was. They said it could have been torn a long time ago and I could have been playing like that for a long time and who knows, maybe the meniscus tearing triggered that.”

Gomez is a tough guy who fights through pain frequently, and he even did so in this contest by logging every second of the 90-minute match. But the medical results indicated this time around it was going to be some time before the supporters of the boys in Old Glory Red would see the fullback on the flanks again.

Luckily for Gomez, a team of incredible doctors, trainers and physicians were in his corner helping him in the rehabilitation process every step of the way. All of the operations were done successfully by UC Davis Health team physician Dr. Cassandra A. Lee M.D. and the Indomitable Club’s team of physios Luke Rayfield, Katy Norton and trainer Betty Olmedo have also played the role of hero in helping Gomez get back to full health.

“You just want to do everything fast and it helps having our physios like Betty and Katy and Luke, they’re amazing and they’re in touch with what the best plan is for me, so they really take care of me,” Gomez explained. “When you have people like Katy around you, Katy’s not just a physio, she’s an inspiration. Katy’s always pushing you and finding the small victories like ‘oh, you got two or three more degrees today, that’s amazing’. Just being around someone that’s just that positive and pushing you every day is someone you need, and you need people like Katy and Luke around you.”

Gomez is grateful for having each and every member of the medical staff guiding him towards being game ready, and he needs them to remind him that the recovery process isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon.

“Some days I’ll be talking crazy like I’m ready to do some long balls and clearances and cut hard in the box or tackle somebody and they’ll be like ‘woah, hold on buddy, not yet, it’s coming, just wait’ even though I’m ready to test it,” Gomez joked. “I feel good, but I don’t want to push it too hard. I feel like I can, but they say that’s the moment when you have to hold it back a little bit.”

And of all current members of the Indomitable Club, Gomez would know.

Given Gomez had once before endured a recovery process lasting longer than a few weeks, he knew exactly what it was going to take to do it again. He maintained his Zen-like focus, did everything possible to prevent himself from losing his positivity like reading scriptures his mother would relay to him, and taking a slow approach despite an endless desire to want to return to the pitch as quickly as possible.

“Hard work is embedded in me, that’s all I ever knew coming from the Caribbean, I had to work hard for everything so that part [of the recovery process] I wasn’t worried about,” the right back said. “The part I was worried about was when I was going to be back, I want to be able to contribute too. I wanted to rush it and I wanted to get back, but I also knew this was not my first rodeo, I knew what to expect. But the twists and turns kind of caught me off guard, one of the things you tried to do today failed.”

Staying motivated is something that might be easier said than done. For Gomez, it was the toughest challenge of all.

“It’s the hardest part,” he said. “Mentally, you want to be strong. When you let negativity step in, even if you doubt yourself just one time, that’s when you lose focus on what you’re really working towards. But for me, I know what I want for myself, I know there isn’t anybody that’s going to do it for me. People will tell you, ‘oh, speedy recovery’, which is nice, but if you don’t work for it, it’s never going to come.”

Months went by without kicking a soccer ball and Gomez kept working. He was seeing and experiencing a tremendous amount of progress, but every now and then the fullback would find a small setback.

“In my recovery, I’ve had some ups and downs, I’ve had some problems with it, the knee not really doing what you want it to do,” he said. “But then I hit this very steady incline where everything was right, my knee was bending, I started doing things I couldn’t do before and now I’m closer to the last phase and I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.”

Hope began to set in. The tough defender was feeling like he was getting closer to closer to returning to his passion, and to say he’ll be grateful for that moment will be a tremendous understatement.

“I will never take for granted just being on the field for one minute,” Gomez said. “The day when I step out onto the field, which is soon, and thank God for that, I’m going to put on that number two and that badge for Sacramento, I’ll know that I’m able to overcome and fight through difficulties and hopefully I’ll be an inspiration to somebody else.”   

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shannon Gomez's game a glorious combination of grit and grace
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2020, 06:38:06 PM »
Shannon Gomez's game a glorious combination of grit and grace
By William Strome (sacrepublicfc.com)

The reliable right back returned from a lengthy absence with something to prove and now, the fan-favorite confirms he’ll be wearing Old Glory Red for another anticipated season in Sacramento.

The 2020 USL Championship campaign was defender Shannon Gomez’s chance to return to top form and the right back rose to the occasion every time stepped on the pitch for the boys in Old Glory Red.

And after such a strong finish to the season, Gomez will be looking to build on this year’s positive performances and carry the momentum into the 2021 campaign.

After earning his first appearance in the 84th minute on August 22 against Portland Timbers 2, Gomez was a dependable staple in the Republic FC backline as the right back made defensive contributions in seven of the Indomitable Club’s final nine games this season including two starts. In just the seven appearances Gomez made in 2020, he still managed to finish tied for fifth on the team in blocked shots with three and a successful passing percentage of 84% was the second-best by a defender on the squad.

Of his blocks, perhaps none were more memorable this season than his dramatic goal line clearance on September 12 to deny what looked to surely be a goal for Reno 1868 FC before the RB soared into the air and headed the shot away to safety. His heroics to rob Reno of a score was nominated for the Suncrest Bank 2020 Save of the Year.

It took the tenacious right back a few games into the season to grace the pitch after Gomez sustained an injury the season before. Prior to his injury, the defender had logged the most minutes of any Republic FC player midway through the 2019 Championship season.

He picked up the knock in late July 2019 during a scoreless contest against Orange County SC but after a lengthy yet successful rehabilitation journey, the resilient right back was called into action to help his side see through the 2-1 win over T2 at Papa Murphy’s Park. During his rehab, his focus never wavered, and his determination never faded.

And now that he’s returned to full health, he’s fully committed to helping the boys in Old Glory Red make a run at capturing USL Championship glory in 2021 as well as competing for a shot at securing the starting RB role for the Indomitable Club once again.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2020, 04:42:32 AM »
So glad to see him back, his is a career stifled from factors not his own fault. I remember talking to the head of Man City scouting about how he had the qualities the NYFC manager wanted - it's a shame injury has hampered that.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2021, 04:47:00 PM »
WATCH: Former National U-20 captain Shannon Gomez speaks to the press about his sessions with the Senior Team this year ahead of upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifiers

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nQBgH2ZqxGk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nQBgH2ZqxGk</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shannon Gomez earns Team of the Week honor
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2021, 01:26:36 PM »
Shannon Gomez earns Team of the Week honor
By Republic FC Communications

On Tuesday, the league headquarters announced Republic FC players Shannon Gomez and Darek Formella were named to the USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 4.

The SRFC duo were key contributors in Sacramento’s 3-1 win over Las Vegas Lights FC at Heart Health Park on May 12. The win was the second in as many matches for the boys in Old Glory Red to kickoff the 2021 regular season.

Gomez finished the contest with one assist – setting up his sides’ opening goal – when the defender delivered a ball into the box that found Formella who slammed his strike into the back of the net. Gomez also completed 38 of 42 passes, was credited with two key passes and collected four interceptions against the Pacific Division opponent.

This is Gomez’s first Team of the Week selection since earning a spot during the 2018 season for Week 18.

Formella was also named to this week’s Team of the Week after the Polish playmaker notched one goal, contributed one assist and registered five key passes against Lights FC. Formella’s strike was the opening goal of the game after Shannon Gomez picked out Formella in the box who fired his effort on target and into goal. Darek also set up his sides’ third and final goal when the forward spotted Jaime Villarreal near the penalty spot and Formella delivered a ball that Villarreal merely had to steer on-target.

This is Darek’s first Team of the Week honor this season after earning the accolade three times in 2020 – Weeks 4, 8 and 15.

1]; } ?>