March 28, 2024, 08:13:51 AM

Author Topic: Official International Soca Monarch 2015 Finals Thread  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Official International Soca Monarch 2015 Finals Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
Lotto Plus Power Soca Monarch order of appearance

11. Kernal "Kitch" Roberts - "Excitement" (Text Code: KITC)

Kernal "Kitch" Roberts - Excitement [2015 T&T Power Soca]

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KJgROI85H68" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KJgROI85H68</a>

Kernal "Kitch" Roberts - Excitement [Int'l Soca Monarch Power Semi finals 2015]
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4NPK_lhSAnk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4NPK_lhSAnk</a>

To vote for NLCB International Power Soca Monarch finalists, text the artiste's 4-digit code to 7622
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
Live audio link: Home | Slam 100.5 FM

Live Video link: Home | CNC3

http://www.socamonarch.net/order.html

Digicel Groovy Soca Monarch appearance on Fantastic Friday

1. Wild Card artiste: 5star Akil - "Noise" (Text Code: STAR)
2. Chow Chow - "Saga Boy" (Text Code: CHOW)
3. Erphann Alves - "Bumper Like Rain" (Text Code: ERPH)
4. Chucky - "Doh Take It On" (Text Code: CHUC)
5. Blaxx - "Place In Life" (Text Code: BLAX)
6. Skinny Fabulous (SVG) - "Going Off" (Text Code: SKIN)
7. Destra - "Lucy" (Text Code: DEST)
8. Nadia Batson - "Cooler Fete" (Text Code: NADI)
9. Farmer Nappy - "My House" (Text Code: FARM)
10. Ricardo Drue (Antigua/T&T) - "Vagabond" (Text Code: DRUE)
11. Benjai - "Phenominal" (Text Code: BENJ)
12. Lyrikal - "Cloud 9" (Text Code: LYRI)
13. Saddis and Leadpipe (Barbados) - "Ah Feeling" (Text Code: LESA)
14. Fadda Fox (Barbados) - "Ducking" (Text Code: FADD)
15. Olatunji - "Ola" (Text Code: OLAT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lotto Plus Power Soca Monarch appearance on Fantastic Friday

1. Shurwayne Winchester - "Touch De Ground" (Text Code: SHUR)
2. Squeezy Head (Grenada) & Shal Marshall - "Turbo Charge" (Text Code: SQAL)
3. K.I. - "Flags" (Text Code: KIII)
4. Patrice Roberts - "Trouble" (Text Code: PATT)
5. Mr. Killa (Grenada) - "Panty Dropper" (Text Code: KILL)
6. Granny - "Go Granny" (Text Code: NIKK)
7. Snakey - "Cyah Rhyme" (Text Code: SNAK)
8. Iwer "King" George - "Play D Mas" (Text Code: IWER)
9. Machel "Monk Monte" Montano (Defending Champion) - "Like A Boss" (Text Code: BOSS)
10. Blaxx - "Maddest Crew" (Text Code: BLAX)
11. Kernal "Kitch" Roberts - "Excitement" (Text Code: KITC)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:04:50 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »
Thanks very much for posting all the video.

The info on the links below that it is available live on Pay-Per-View throughout  the US and Canada is Not true.
http://www.socamonarch.net/live.html
http://www.indemand.com/event/soca-monarch-finals-live-from-trinidad/
It  is Not available on Dish Network,  one of the major satellite  TV provider.
On Comcast it would end at 2am, which is a source of major disappointment.

If one is persistent, there are instructions on how to get it on the net
https://www.facebook.com/socamonarch/posts/853096111415873
but some complaining they paid first and cannot get it.

CNC3 should broadcast the event online. Pay for the rights, then sell commercials to those who want to reach the Caribbean crowd in the U.S and Canada.

The audio link is good. Give Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:42:13 PM by StoreBayLimer »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 02:57:24 AM »
ISM 2015 RESULTS:-

Digicel Groovy Soca Monarch

4th. Destra - "Lucy"

3rd. Ricardo Drue (Antigua/T&T) - "Vagabond"

2nd. Farmer Nappy - "My House"

1st. Olatunji - "Ola"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lotto Plus Power Soca Monarch

4th. Shurwayne Winchester - "Shake It"  (should not have placed higher than last for singing a Groovy)

3rd. Granny - "Go Granny"

2nd. Iwer "King" George - "Play D Mas"

1st. Machel "Monk Monte" Montano (Defending Champion) - "Like A Boss"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 08:45:23 AM »
Something it can be difficult to differentiate between these two genre. But congrats to all the winners. Have a safe Carnival.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
Machel Montano - Like Ah Boss (LIVE) "Soca Monarch Finals Power Winner 2015

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/r5ouabFrk5o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtube.com/v/r5ouabFrk5o</a>
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:30:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2015, 09:34:24 AM »
Olatunji - Ola (LIVE) "Soca Monarch Finals Groovy Winner 2015

<a href="http://youtube.com/v/ejMAhB5WZIQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtube.com/v/ejMAhB5WZIQ</a>
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:31:48 PM by Socapro »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »
Year in year out time and time again- how much time yuh go hear put yuh hand in the air jump and wave wine on ah bumper same ole same ole Steups - soca coming like rock and roll one set ah noise and no meaningful lyrics-

Bring back Cro Cro lol

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2015, 05:50:36 PM »
Happy for Olatunji, continuing in his parents footsteps

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:20 AM »
Machel passes soca baton: sets sights on Grammy success
Story Created: Feb 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Machel “Monk Monte” Montano defended his title "Like A Boss"

The baton of competitive soca supremacy was well and truly passed, following the results of the Power and Groovy International Soca Monarch competitions, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, on Friday night.

Power Soca champion Machel “Monk Monte” Montano successfully defended his crown, for what he says is the final time before passing the reins to new Groovy Soca Monarch Olatunji Yearwood.

Montano said while he remains a source of support for all local artistes of all genres who are seeking advice and direction, he has firmly set his sights on his lifelong dream of winning a Grammy award and taking his music to mainstream international markets.

“I want to make soca music now to touch the world. I believe we have something to offer and I believe now is the time. I believe we are being guided to do so and I want to follow that guidance,” Montano said following his win on Friday.

The five-time Power Soca monarch and two-time Groovy Soca monarch said the time was right to change lanes and step away from the competitive arena.

“The whole Soca Monarch battle is no longer for me. I don’t believe I have anything to battle anymore. I always compete with myself and right now, myself challenging me to win a Grammy,” he said with a coy smile.

Montano told the Sunday Express he has reformatted his management team and his approach to his music, all with the aim of finding the right sound that will bring the level of international success that has eluded his grasp.

“The first, most important thing is to retreat into ourselves, into the music so deep that we can bring out a body of work, an album that we think is ready for international success.

It’s about making soca a little more palatable, and with the team we have behind us, we are now well on our way to achieving that,” he said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:43 AM »
Machel admits in this Post Performance Interview that "Like A Boss" is a groovy soca when he referred to it as the first ever "Power Groovy" to be released.

Machel - Post Performance Interview
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Gbhyefktm1Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Gbhyefktm1Y</a>

Should both Machel Montano and Shurwayne Winchester have been disqualified from the 2015 power soca competition for singing groovy songs seeing that these are the rules below for entry of your song into the Soca Monarch Groovy and Power competitions? Pay special attention to rules 3(a) & 3(b) highlighted regards BPM of songs submitted for the Power and Groovy Soca competitions.

Caribbean Prestige Foundation for the Performing Arts

#27 Carlos Street, Woodbrook • Tel: (1-868) 624-2134; 298-2003
Email: internationalsocamonarch@gmail.com and carprestfoundation@tstt.net.tt

RULES & GUIDELINES GOVERNING
THE LOTTO PLUS INTERNATIONAL POWER SOCA MONARCH,
DIGICEL GROOVY SOCA MONARCH and
CARIB BREAKOUT ARTISTE OF THE YEAR COMPETITION 2015

1. The International Soca Monarch (ISM) Competition, hereinafter referred to as “The Competition”, is
divided into three (3) categories – Power Soca; Groovy Soca and Breakout Artiste of the Year.
2. Guidelines/Rules for “Breakout Artiste” of the Year are as follows:
a. This category is open to all artistes registered for International Soca Monarch (ISM) 2015
competition.
b. The criteria for entry into this category of “The Competition” is as follows:
i. An Artiste must NOT have ever won an International Soca Monarch (ISM) title;
ii. An Artiste must NOT have participated in an International Soca Monarch (ISM) Finals
competition more than twice..
c. The “Breakout Artiste” of the Year category of “The Competition” will be judged strictly by
Digital Media to include social media and text messages. All results for this category will be
based on Fan Votes.
d. The open stage of “The Competition” will start on 1st January, 2015 ending on 25th January,
2015 and is open to any Artiste that meets the criteria and is registered to compete in said
category.
e. Two (2) contestants will then be selected to move forward to the Finals of the category which
will take place at the International Soca Monarch (ISM) Finals.
f. The two (2) finalists will be announced simultaneously with the announcement of the Finalists
of the Power and Groovy Soca Monarch categories.
g. Should an Artiste make it into two (2) or all categories – the Power Soca Monarch; Groovy Soca
Monarch and Breakout Artiste Finals, then the said Artiste will be judged separately in each
category.
h. Registering for this category does NOT guarantee said Artiste any airplay therefore Artistes are
encouraged to promote their music after registration.
3. Guidelines/Rules for “Power and Groovy Monarch” category are as follows:
a. The Power Soca is determined by songs measuring 136 and over beats per minute (bpm).
b. The Groovy Soca is determined by songs measuring 80-135 beats per minute (bpm).

c. An Artiste/contestant can only enter a maximum of two (2) songs in the Power Soca Category and a
maximum of two (2) songs in the Groovy Soca category.
d. An Artiste/contestant must fill out the section labeled BPM on the registration form. Caribbean
Prestige Foundation (CPF) reserves the right to review and ensure that songs are placed in the
respective category based on BPM.
e. An Artiste/contestant can enter “The Competition” as a solo act, duet or group.
f. The registration fee per entry (for one Soca song) in the Groovy category is TT$300; and the Power
category is TT$300.
g. Soca songs must be original and never before entered into competition in Trinidad and Tobago prior to
h. At the preliminary stage, the submission of properly produced Media (songs) will be collated for
adjudication purposes in accordance to the sequence at registration.
i. Only registered Media (songs) will be adjudicated. A five (5) member panel of qualified adjudicators
will judge headed by a Chief Judge who has the responsibility to manage and guide the other judges.
j. The criteria by which songs will be judged in Semi-Finals and Finals of the Power Soca are:
Melody = 25% Arrangement = 20% Lyrics = 20%
Performance = 20% Crowd Response = 15%.
k. The criteria by which songs will be judged in Semi-finals and Finals of the Groovy Soca are:
Melody = 25% Arrangement = 20% Lyrics = 20%
Performance = 15% Crowd Response = 10% Groove = 10%
l. The judges reserve the right to determine the length of each song (verses and chorus) to be adjudicated.
m. A CPF official shall contact any Artiste/contestant who qualifies for the Semi-Finals Competition.
n. A CPF official shall contact any Artiste/contestant who qualifies for the Finals Competition.
4. Items required for registration:
a. Bio-sketch (no more than 250 words)
b. National identification (ID Card, Driver’s Permit or Passport)
c. Music CD or flash-drive with the maximum of two songs per category with the information on BPM
for each song.
d. Fees for particular category (Power-$300.00; Groovy-$300.00)
e. Completed registration form
f. Promotional Photos ( head and full body shot)
5. All cash earnings attained in the Finals of “The Competition” are subject to a five (5) percent contribution
towards the administration of “The Competition”s. This is non-negotiable. This percentage shall be deducted
from the total cash earnings before payment to the Finalists. Should the Government of Trinidad & Tobago
make payment of the earnings directly to the Artiste, the Artiste is required to make payment of this five
(5) percent to CPF within ten (10) working days of receiving same from the Government of Trinidad and
Tobago.
6. Upon submitting an entry into “The Competition” the entrant agrees to defend the Title of International Soca
Monarch (Power and/or Groovy) in the subsequent edition of the event if they are adjudged 2015 winner.
7. Should an artiste win the Title of International Soca Monarch Power and/or Groovy Monarch (3) three times,
the said artiste can execute the option to not defend the title in subsequent editions of the event for which they are adjudged the winner.
8. Upon submitting an entry into “The Competition”, the Artiste/entrant agrees to by action, words or
implication, not to behave in a manner that would bring “The Competition”, Caribbean Prestige Foundation
for the Performing Arts or members of the Board of Directors, into disrepute locally or internationally.
9. Any Artiste qualifying to compete in the Final stage of “The Competition” will be required to attend the
Prize Distribution Ceremony, once that Artiste is in Trinidad and Tobago. If however, the Artiste is out of
the country on the day of the Prize Distribution Ceremony, he/she will be required to select a representative
(Manager/A&R personnel) to stand-in on his/her behalf.
10. Any Artiste registered for “The Competition” agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless, Caribbean
Prestige Foundation for the Performing Arts from and against any claim, demand, cause of action, liability,
loss or expense arising from injury to or death of persons or from damage to or loss of property arising
directly out of Artiste’s performance during the International Soca Monarch Competition.
11. Management reserves the right to amend the rules and guidelines of “The Competition” (Groovy; Power and Breakout Artiste categories) to further benefit the development of the Soca Art form.

I have affixed my signature hereunder on __________day of ______________, 20___ in agreement of the Preliminary Rules and Guidelines governing the International Soca Monarch (ISM) 2015 Competitions (Power Soca Monarch; Groovy Soca Monarch and Breakout Artiste).

And here are links to the registration forms for power and groovy soca songs accepted into the competition.

Click link to view power registration form: http://www.socamonarch.net/home/images/2014/news/ISM%20Registration%20Form-Power.pdf
Click link to view groovy registration form: http://www.socamonarch.net/home/images/2014/news/ISM%20Registration%20Form-Groovy.pdf

Notice line on both forms in which artistes must supply Name of Soca song, Name of Composer and BPM (beats per minute) which means that the BPM of the original studio recording has to be correctly declared for the song to be accepted into the competition rather than the BPM of a live speeded-up version of the song.

This means that both Shurwayne's "Shake It" and Machel's "Like A Boss" songs should never have been accepted into the Power Soca competition based on the fact that the original recordings of both songs have bpms below 136 beats per minute.

Machel's "Like A Boss" power groovy song was just on the borderline with a bpm of 134/135 so Machel could get away with the track sounding like a power once it is speeded up but Shurwayne's "Shake It" song with a BPM of about 120 definitely does not sound like a power soca even when speeded-up.
The fact that "Like A Boss" won the Power Soca Monarch competition and "Shake It" placed 4th and both artists collected major prize monies is cause for concern since both songs should technically have been DQed from the Power Soca Monarch competition.

So why is Caribbean Prestige Foundation not properly enforcing their own competition rules?

In conclusion I would like to submit that Iwer George who placed 2nd was the real winner of the ISM Power Soca Monarch competition in 2015 and not Machel Montano but I guess they wanted to give Machel Montano an ISM retirement gift?

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:11:46 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>