March 28, 2024, 03:33:49 AM

Author Topic: Where is Cro Cro ?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Where is Cro Cro ?
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
Notably absent from the Kasio scene this year is the man Cro Cro. With all the political material to chose from, and still nothing from Cro Cro? Eh eh something wrong? Is the man Sichuan? Did he get ah food to eat? Did he finally cave to the powers?

Anyone seen or heard of the man this year?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:08:26 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who silencedCro Cro?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »
ah surprised ah nuh hear nothing from him this season

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cro Cro sad sad gone trough
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
Like the man gone through- this is the passing of a real legend

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cro Cro sad sad like he gone trough
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
when pnm come back in power he go "crow" again

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cro Cro sad sad like he gone trough
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:18:29 PM »
when pnm come back in power he go "crow" again

His best crowing (tunes) have been when PNM was not in power  :)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Cro Cro ?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »
Notably absent and not mentioned in the calypso fraternity this year- anyone have any news on his whereabouts this year?

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
Notably absent and not mentioned in the calypso fraternity this year- anyone have any news on his whereabouts this year?

Not 100% sure, but my sources told me that Cro Cro is being held against his will. He is locked up in a UNC/PP cell until after elections.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
No news of this man at all this year, what is the story here?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »
Maybe Chalkdusk is right?! Could TUCO be doing the bidding of the PPG?!

TUCO wants to get rid of us
By COREY CONNELLY Monday, March 9 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Dr Hollis Liverpool

The Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organiation (TUCO) wants to “phase-out” veteran calypsonians from major competitions, presumably in an attempt to promote the development of younger artistes.

Eight-time National Calypso Monarch Dr Hollis Liverpool, otherwise known as Chalkdust, made this claim in a recent Newsday interview, saying the move would set “a dangerous precedent” for the future of the artform. Liverpool, a headliner at the legendary Kalypso Revue tent, said he had learnt from a close relative who attended a workshop at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port-of-Spain that TUCO was seeking to eliminate all “Chalkdust-like” calypsonians from major calypso competitions. Liverpool believes he was eliminated from the semi-finals of the Calypso Monarch competition in San Fernando because of this decision. “I learnt from before that there was a judging session where they were training the judges and one of the officials at TUCO told the judges, and these were his exact words, ‘It is time to stop the Chalkdust era,” an upset Liverpool told Newsday.

“They meant all of the calypsonians from that era and all Chalkdust-like calypsos. So, that would perhaps be people like Pink Panther (Eric Taylor), Valentino (Anthony Emrold Phillip) and others.” Liverpool, Professor of Calypso Arts at the University of Trinidad and Tobago, said the workshop was held a week before the judges made their rounds to view the performances of the calypsonians at the various tents.

Saying he had a voice recording of the session from the NAPA, Liverpool said he had spoken with some of his colleagues in the artform and his attorney/agent, Ainsley Lucky, about the development. “I felt badly when I learnt about it because that would indicate that they (TUCO officials) don’t understand the artform. It would mean that anybody from my time, who sings like me or has my structure would experience problems,” Liverpool said.

“Obviously they want to put the emphasis on the youths but there is a tradition behind the calypso and you can’t just put the youths alone.”

This year’s National Calypso Monarch competition was won by 27-year-old Roderick “Chucky” Gordon. The young singer also won last year’s competition. When contacted, Lucky said when he learnt that Liverpool had been omitted from the Calypso Fiesta line-up, he requested an audience with TUCO officials at the organisation’s Jerningham Avenue, Port-of-Spain, office. “The meeting was on February 11 and I immediately told them that Chalkdust should have been included in the line-up of 41 calypsonians,” Lucky told Newsday. Lucky claimed that two of the TUCO officials laughed at his statement. “It was greeted with derision to the point where I had to ask them, why is this funny? Clearly, it was a pre-judgement on the part of TUCO.” Lucky said the officials even suggested that they should have had their attorney present since he (Lucky) was also a lawyer. “Clearly, they were stalling,” he said. Lucky called for improvements in the quality of calypso judging at competitions.

Liverpool had two strong calypsos, “Reparation” and “Gypsy Will Get Vex”, but was not selected for the semi-finals of the competition at Skinner Park, much to his disappointment and that of some of his colleagues.

“I couldn’t see them leaving me out of the semi-finals but knowing the frailties of calypso judging,” he said. “I didn’t think about it because I said that no judge in his or her right mind could pick 40 calypsonians and don’t pick me (semi-finals). I dismissed the whole thing as hogwash.” Liverpool told Newsday that he had long contemplated leaving the artform, but was encouraged by political activist Makandal Daaga to continue singing calypso. “Years now, I wanted to come out, but he begged me to stay to keep the standards in the calypso alive,” he said.

“He felt that if I should leave the standard would fall and the standard has been falling and that is the only reason I stayed in it.”

Liverpool said the persons judging calypso needed to be trained. “For a judge to leave us out of the competition, means they do not understand the tradition, they don’t understand the history and they don’t understand the artform,” he said.

Contacted for comment, 2013 monarch Eric Taylor said it is unfortunate that the administration of the calypso artform can be fingered in such a manner.

“It behooves them to clear the air, especially where there is incontrovertible evidence that there are serious discrepancies within the adjudication system,” he told Newsday.

“So, now that this has come out now, I am hoping, as a former President of TUCO, that this development will not be another bacchanal but would spark off meaningful discussions on this very controversial issue of calypso judging. That is my hope.”

Taylor called for consultation with all the stakeholders so as to “protect the artform from further decadence.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
Maybe Chalkdusk is right?! Could TUCO be doing the bidding of the PPG?!

TUCO wants to get rid of us
By COREY CONNELLY Monday, March 9 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Dr Hollis Liverpool

The Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organiation (TUCO) wants to “phase-out” veteran calypsonians from major competitions, presumably in an attempt to promote the development of younger artistes.

Eight-time National Calypso Monarch Dr Hollis Liverpool, otherwise known as Chalkdust, made this claim in a recent Newsday interview, saying the move would set “a dangerous precedent” for the future of the artform. Liverpool, a headliner at the legendary Kalypso Revue tent, said he had learnt from a close relative who attended a workshop at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port-of-Spain that TUCO was seeking to eliminate all “Chalkdust-like” calypsonians from major calypso competitions. Liverpool believes he was eliminated from the semi-finals of the Calypso Monarch competition in San Fernando because of this decision. “I learnt from before that there was a judging session where they were training the judges and one of the officials at TUCO told the judges, and these were his exact words, ‘It is time to stop the Chalkdust era,” an upset Liverpool told Newsday.

“They meant all of the calypsonians from that era and all Chalkdust-like calypsos. So, that would perhaps be people like Pink Panther (Eric Taylor), Valentino (Anthony Emrold Phillip) and others.” Liverpool, Professor of Calypso Arts at the University of Trinidad and Tobago, said the workshop was held a week before the judges made their rounds to view the performances of the calypsonians at the various tents.

Saying he had a voice recording of the session from the NAPA, Liverpool said he had spoken with some of his colleagues in the artform and his attorney/agent, Ainsley Lucky, about the development. “I felt badly when I learnt about it because that would indicate that they (TUCO officials) don’t understand the artform. It would mean that anybody from my time, who sings like me or has my structure would experience problems,” Liverpool said.

“Obviously they want to put the emphasis on the youths but there is a tradition behind the calypso and you can’t just put the youths alone.”

This year’s National Calypso Monarch competition was won by 27-year-old Roderick “Chucky” Gordon. The young singer also won last year’s competition. When contacted, Lucky said when he learnt that Liverpool had been omitted from the Calypso Fiesta line-up, he requested an audience with TUCO officials at the organisation’s Jerningham Avenue, Port-of-Spain, office. “The meeting was on February 11 and I immediately told them that Chalkdust should have been included in the line-up of 41 calypsonians,” Lucky told Newsday. Lucky claimed that two of the TUCO officials laughed at his statement. “It was greeted with derision to the point where I had to ask them, why is this funny? Clearly, it was a pre-judgement on the part of TUCO.” Lucky said the officials even suggested that they should have had their attorney present since he (Lucky) was also a lawyer. “Clearly, they were stalling,” he said. Lucky called for improvements in the quality of calypso judging at competitions.

Liverpool had two strong calypsos, “Reparation” and “Gypsy Will Get Vex”, but was not selected for the semi-finals of the competition at Skinner Park, much to his disappointment and that of some of his colleagues.

“I couldn’t see them leaving me out of the semi-finals but knowing the frailties of calypso judging,” he said. “I didn’t think about it because I said that no judge in his or her right mind could pick 40 calypsonians and don’t pick me (semi-finals). I dismissed the whole thing as hogwash.” Liverpool told Newsday that he had long contemplated leaving the artform, but was encouraged by political activist Makandal Daaga to continue singing calypso. “Years now, I wanted to come out, but he begged me to stay to keep the standards in the calypso alive,” he said.

“He felt that if I should leave the standard would fall and the standard has been falling and that is the only reason I stayed in it.”

Liverpool said the persons judging calypso needed to be trained. “For a judge to leave us out of the competition, means they do not understand the tradition, they don’t understand the history and they don’t understand the artform,” he said.

Contacted for comment, 2013 monarch Eric Taylor said it is unfortunate that the administration of the calypso artform can be fingered in such a manner.

“It behooves them to clear the air, especially where there is incontrovertible evidence that there are serious discrepancies within the adjudication system,” he told Newsday.

“So, now that this has come out now, I am hoping, as a former President of TUCO, that this development will not be another bacchanal but would spark off meaningful discussions on this very controversial issue of calypso judging. That is my hope.”

Taylor called for consultation with all the stakeholders so as to “protect the artform from further decadence.”
There Are many allegations here which affirms my suspicions going back to last year. I found it most strange that TUCO did not iintervene to support  Cro  Cro . Then there was the business of the government funding that TUCO got after  much pleading- again you wonder what conditions were agreed upon behind closed doors- This is another sad legacy of this government- buying out the art form- buy out the athletes - from football to swimmers- yes everyone must indeed have a price! The question is at the expense of what? Sad sad times in TnT. Nevertheless  " you Ent see" there are those who continue to turn a blind eye, dip there fingers in yellow and vote for  inept political parties who are. Outing under Plentiful Politricking" to govern under the auspices of  blame others for any thing that does not work!

PS- I would be and as I Am sure many others would be if word ever came out that Cro Cro remained quiet because he got " food money " to keep the belly full and the mouth silence. This was most strange that a Kaiso man of his stature  would  be reduced to the whims of TUCO. Whatever the reason this is most unlike mr Cro Cro. Last year there was talk of his financial hardship-
 What a guilt trip it could be and what hypocrisy it would be if he was paid out - this is one who sang and condemned others for  being lapdogs of the government- I just hope that he did not give in and now has to remain silence as part of any agreement.  I find it most strange that no one no reports are making the rounds regarding his notable absence from competition this year.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:29:45 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »
cheups. maybe he run out of racist chants against meh Indian people.. dat Racist fuk guh dead bruk and I guh visit he grave jes fi piss pon it
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
cheups. maybe he run out of racist chants against meh Indian people.. dat Racist f**k guh dead bruk and I guh visit he grave jes fi piss pon it

And what do you think of Sat? Just curious.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
cheups. maybe he run out of racist chants against meh Indian people.. dat Racist f**k guh dead bruk and I guh visit he grave jes fi piss pon it

[/quote

[/quote

I dnt think about Sat ..I dnt think about Man , I discussing  cro cro  dats racist piece of shit . Di same man allyuh love and promote but allyuh eh racist allyuh good wee...... Dais like me supporting the klan but  saying I eh racist . Make ah next topic about sat and we go discuss he... but for now I eh thinking about no man dais your ting...

warmonga
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »

[quote

I dnt think about Sat ..I dnt think about Man , I discussing  cro cro  dats racist piece of shit . Di same man allyuh love and promote but allyuh eh racist allyuh good wee...... Dais like me supporting the klan but  saying I eh racist . Make ah next topic about sat and we go discuss he... but for now I eh thinking about no man dais your ting...

warmonga

Since you changed the topic to do with gender, you do realise that Cro Cro is a man too, don't you?

Your reply made no sense. Maybe I should have just ignored your ranting. I will know better for the future.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:08:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
I know it was just a matter of time before allegations and the propensity of claims of racism surfaced  - no surprise as elections draws nearer - why is it that  certain  people always feel disenfranchised?  Even to theoint pf  many years ago some fled. Trinidad for Canada and applied for refugee status,

Now look at the assertion man making that Cro Cro is racist? On what grounds? For singing anti government Kaiso?  I too waiting for how this man would  define a Sat? Or for that matter treehouse Cabal?

How inthisdarn age it still have people in TNT still harbouring this ethnic divide . I still think we have moved from a national identity to a tribal one of ethnic identity.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
Hi guys CROCRO have a new politicial calypso anybody have a link for it please ? I would like to hear it .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

1]; } ?>