April 24, 2024, 11:15:52 PM

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Jamaica T&F News Thread!  (Read 25221 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Fantastic Showdown in Jamaica Men's 400m hurdles
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
Fantastic Showdown in Jamaica Men's 400m hurdles
By Noel ‘Bravo’ Francis, Special to TrackAlerts.Com
June 24th, 2015 8:31am (TrackAlerts.com)

Roxroy Cato (left), Leford Green (top-right) & Jaheel Hyde (bottom-right)

One of the most gruelling events in track & field is the 400m hurdles. It requires guts, dedication, stamina, technique and mental fortitude. Many persons will say that these requirements are similar to other track events; however, one of the factors used to measure its difficulty on the body is the recovery period. It is one of those events, whereby the semi-finals and finals are often set a day apart unlike the short sprinting events. Jamaica is producing a few gladiators who are up to the task of tackling this demanding discipline.

Roxroy Cato is the fastest Jamaican one lap hurdler this season with his 48.97 seconds clocking at the Adidas Grand Prix in New York. Cato is the defending National Champion and seems confident of making it two in a row in 2015. Cato had an outstanding 2014 season winning the NCAA Division Two 400m hurdles final while helping his team St. Augustine’s University to winning the division title. Cato’s winning time last year (48.48) at the JAAA National Senior Championship is a personal best and he will be aiming to lower that mark on Friday June 26, 2015 at 8:20 pm. Interestingly, Cato has never represented Jamaica at a World Championship and making the team will be a special moment for the 27-year-old.

Leford Green is a multiple national champion who recently returned to Jamaica and is now associated with the Cameron Blazers Track Club. He credits teaming up with motivational coach Bertland Cameron as a bonus, as it will improve his 400m times, which will transfer to his 400m hurdles performances as well. Green who had looked laboured in the early part of the season is gradually getting stronger and better as the season progresses.

After a sixth place finish (50.74) in the Meeting Region Guadeloupe on May 2, 2015, Green followed up with a spirited effort at the Jamaica International Invitational Meet a week later. On that occasion, Green ran a season best of 49.22 seconds. At a recent JAAA All Comers Meet, Green was almost involved in a dead heat with rising star and winner Jaheel Hyde with both accredited with identical times (49.87). Green who was a semi-finalist in the last two World Championships and a finalist in the London Olympics is favoured to be among the top three at the National Senior Championship. The former KC athlete has a personal best of 48.47 seconds.

Annsert Whyte is the third fastest Jamaican this season over 400m hurdles with a time of 49.20 seconds. Whyte is one of those athletes who flies under the radar and then pops up with solid performances at the right time. He is quite capable of causing an upset at the National Championship. Whyte ran 49.48 seconds to capture the men’s 400m hurdles title at the GC Foster Classic in mid March.

He kept himself busy throughout the month of May. At the Jamaica International Invitational Meet on May 9, 2015, Whyte ran 49.50 seconds to claim fourth spot. He won gold at the Cayman Invitational with a season best 49.20 seconds on May 16, 2015. A week later at the second JAAA All Comers Meet, Whyte cruised to victory in 50.23 seconds. He is race sharp and ready to challenge for a place in Beijing. Annsert Whyte’s personal best is 48.58 seconds. 

Jaheel Hyde is Jamaica’s youngest and perhaps brightest prospect in the men’s 400m hurdles. The 2014 World Junior Champion who recently turned professional is on a mission to do well in his senior debut season. Hyde closed out his high school career on a high with a championship record of 49.01 seconds, which makes him the second fastest Jamaican this season behind Roxroy Cato. The time is also a national junior record.

In his first professional race at the Cayman Invitational Meet, Hyde placed 3rd in 50.30 seconds after a slight stumble at the final hurdle. Hyde’s next assignment saw him coming up against a quality field at the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League in Eugene where he placed 7th in 50.80 seconds. At the 4thJAAA All Comers Meet in early June, Hyde showed signs of getting back to his best with victory in 49.87 seconds. Hyde who is on a mission to make his first World Championship team is working hard to achieve that objective.

Josef Robertson is a talented hurdler who has not yet fulfilled his early promise. Robertson has been very active this season competing in both 400m and 400m hurdles events with fluctuating results. His fifth place finish at the Jamaica International Invitational Meet in 49.71 seconds remains his season best.

Isa Phillips is one of those veteran hurdlers who have been around before Instagram. The 31-year-old will be seeking to make his fifth World Championship team; however, the task could prove mountainous due to his lack of form and race sharpness. The lanky athlete who finished fifth at the National Championship last year is a fighter who will run until his spikes fall off before giving up. Phillips who has been to the semi-finals of every major championship attended was last seen competing locally in a 400m flat event at the UTECH Classic Meet in April registering 48.07 seconds.

At the start of the year, many persons did not see this event as one of the highlights of the National Senior Championship. However, it is now shaping up as a fantastic duel with the strong possibility of four athletes dipping below 49 seconds. The prospect of a number of these athletes making their first World Championship team will add tremendous pressure and excitement to this mouth-watering event. The battle to come off the final hurdle first should be fascinating.

About the Author:
Noel ‘Bravo’ Francis is a very exciting and creative freelance sports writer specializing in the fields of athletics and cricket. His colourful down to earth yet professional personality makes him a favourite amongst athletes and fans. Readers are often exposed to his detailed knowledge and passion which usually increase their interest in the athletes, events and the sport overall. He has a first degree in Banking & Finance and works in the financial industry. Contact Noel at nanthonyfrancis@gmail.com
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:55:33 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Jamaica T&F News Thread!
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
Please note that results from JA Senior Champs happening today thru to Sunday is available at this link: https://www.brawtasports.net/tfresults/2015/jamaicanationalsnrchamps/results.html

Live stream to follow JA Champs is also available at this link: http://1spotmedia.com (paid link)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:18:50 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Powell, Blake in early clash at Jamaica Trials
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
Powell, Blake in early clash at Jamaica Trials
June 25th, 2015 4:59pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Asafa Powell vs Yohan Blake at JA Trials

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Asafa Powell and Yohan Blake have been drawn together in the same quarter-finals heat at the Jamaican National Senior Championships on Thursday night.

For Live Coverage and Live Results Click Here

The heats were announced, following this morning’s qualifying round, which saw seven athletes moving on to the next stage.

Powell will start from lane five in quarter-finals one, with Blake, who is returning from a hamstring injury that forced him to do surgery last season, starting in lane seven.

Kemarley Brown and Kimmari Roach are also listed in the first heat.

Nesta Carter, a former training partner of Asafa Powell at MVP track club, heads things up in quarter-finals two.

Jermaine Hamilton, the fastest runner from the qualifying round Thursday morning, will join Carter in the heat, along with former national champion Oshane Bailey and Marvin Anderson.

A loaded quarter-finals heat 3 will see Kemar Bailey-Cole, Julian Forte and Andrew Fisher all facing-off in an early test.

Forte and Fisher are two of the strong contenders for places on the Jamaica World Championships team to Beijing, China, later this summer, while Commonwealth Games champions Bailey-Cole is hoping to prove his critics wrong.

Another notable name in this quarter-final heat is Michael Frater, a key member of the Jamaica 4x100m relay teams at the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games.

Nickel Ashmeade leads the starters in the fourth and last quarter-finals.

The heat also includes Jevaughn Minzie, NCAA star Senoj-Jay Givans, in addition to former junior superstars Jazeel Murphy and Dexter Lee.

Meanwhile, the women’s 100m quarter-finals see sprint double world champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, the world-leader this season, at 10.81secs, taking on Kerron Stewart, who now trains at the Racers track club with Usain Bolt’s coach Glen Mills.

The newly found Elaine Thompson will start in the second heat and she will have Schillonie Calvert and Chanice Bonner as company.

Elsewhere, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Natasha Morrison and Jonielle Smith will race in quarter-finals three, while Samantha Henry-Robinson, Sherone Simpson, Christania Williams and Shimayra Williams are in the fourth heat.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:58:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
Powell won his Heat in 9.98 and Blake was 2nd. Click link to view race video: http://rutube.ru/video/fdefc5442404b625c7394836fc2adadb/

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt withdraws from Jamaica trials
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
Bolt withdraws from Jamaica trials
Published on Jun 25, 2015, 7:20 pm AST (T&T Express)

Questions over fitness, form: Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt.

Usain Bolt’s lack of form combined with his late withdrawal from the Jamaican 100 metres national trials yesterday have raised more doubts about the future of the world’s fastest man.

The towering sprinter had intended to run in the trials as a sharpener, but the Jamaican Athletics Administrative Association confirmed he had pulled out two months before the world championships in Beijing, China.

Six-times Olympic gold medallist Bolt, who qualifies for world championships as defending champion in both events, has struggled this year with moderate best times of 10.12 seconds for the 100 and 20.13 in the 200.

The 28-year-old expressed uncharacteristic concerns after a sluggish 20.29 to win the 200 at the recent New York Diamond League meeting in the US.

“I’m not happy about my performance. My turn was horrible, I don’t know what happened,” Bolt said. “My worst turn ever.

“After I came off the turn, I knew it wasn’t going to be fast... so I pretty much just wanted to get home.”

Bolt’s 2014 season was limited by injuries, but he was the star attraction at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, winning gold in the 4x100 relay.

With 2015 continuing in a similar vein, Bolt, the only man to win the 100 and 200 in back-to-back Olympics, would surely have wanted to lay down a marker at the Jamaican trials following the resurgence of Justin Gatlin.

Controversial United States sprinter Gatlin, who has served two doping bans, has become the man to beat after setting or equalling lifetime bests in both the 100 and 200 this year.

Gatlin has not raced Bolt since 2013, but the 33-year-old 2004 Olympic gold medallist is hoping his rival returns to his best at the world championships so he can dethrone the Jamaican in Beijing.

“What is it really going to amount to if I go out there and run against Usain when he is not at his best,” Gatlin told Reuters.

“That is not a great storyline. It is not a race I would like to go out and win. I want Usain at his best, and I think he wants me at my best. That’s what people want to see.”
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:27:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Elaine Thompson withdraws from 100m at Jamaica Trials
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 12:02:02 AM »
Elaine Thompson withdraws from 100m at Jamaica Trials
June 25th, 2015 10:16pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Elaine Thompson, second fastest Jamaican this year

Elaine Thompson became the latest big name athlete to withdraw from an event at the Jamaica Senior Athletics Championships on at the National Stadium in Kingston.

Thompson, the second fastest Jamaican with 10.84 this year, is not on the startlist for the semi-finals of the women's 100m.

Thomspon was on the startlist for heat 2 of 4 to face the likes of Schillonie Calvert, Chanice Bonner and Globine Mayova of Namibia. The women’s 100m first round was scheduled for Thursday evening, but was scrapped because of limited entry.

Garth Gayle, general secretary of the Jamaica Athletic Administrative Association (JAAA) confirmed Thompson’s withdrawal from the women's 100m.

“Yes, she has withdrew,” said Gayle.

According to information reaching TrackAlerts.Com, Thompson will run the 200m while her teammate Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce may skip the half lap event for the 100m.

Novlene Williams-Mills also withdrew because of 'personal issues’.

Usain Bolt also withdrew, a decision taken after training on Wednesday evening.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Powell dominates 100m heats at Jamaica Trials
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »
Powell dominates 100m heats at Jamaica Trials
June 25th, 2015 10:16pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Asafa Powell Jamaican former world 100m record holder

Former 100-meter world record-holder Asafa Powell dominated heats of the men's 100m at Jamaica Senior Athletics Championships on Thursday.

Powell topped his quarterfinal heat in 9.98 ahead of former world 100m champion Yohan Blake, who had a bad start, 10.24. Kemarley Brown was also timed in 10.24.

Kemar Bailey-Cole and Andrew Fisher both clocked 10.05 in quarterfinal 2.

Nickel Ashmeade and Nesta Cater 10.12 are also into the final.

The first round of the women’s event was scrapped due to lack of entries.

The competitors in the women’s and men’s 400H also faced the starter. Leading the way into the final of the women’s event was UTech’s Janieve Russel with a time of 55.59seconds. Other notable qualifiers for the final were Ristanana Tracey 56.22, Shevon Stoddart 55.74, and Rushell Clayton 56.53.

In the men’s 400H, which is shaping up to be a very hotly contested final, Ansert Whyte looks to be the man to beat. He ran 49.00 to lead the qualifiers into the final.

Javern Gallimore 49.49 and Marvin Williams 49.80 establishing a new personal best were winners of heat 2 and 3 respectively taking automatic qualifying spots.

Roxroy Cato 49.96, Leford Green 49.97 and Jaheel Hyde 49.83 are also in the final.

Orlando Thomas of MVP claimed the first National title in the Javelin with a throw of 70.12m.

Official results so far from JA Senior Champs at this link: https://www.brawtasports.net/tfresults/2015/jamaicanationalsnrchamps/results.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:24:38 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Powell, Blake in big semi-final clash at Jamaica Trials
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
Powell, Blake in big semi-final clash at Jamaica Trials
By Anthony Foster, TrackAlerts.Com Writer
June 26th, 2015 1:38pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Asafa Powell vs Yohan Blake at JA Trials

Asafa Powell and Yohan Blake will meet again in the semi-final of the men’s 100m on Friday evening at Jamaica Senior Athletics Championships.

Both Powell, the former 100m record holder at 9.94, and former world champion Blake, the second fastest man in history at 9.69, met on Thursday in the quarterfinals.

Powell, who got a very good start and had time to ease across the line in 9.98, beat Blake, who had to work extra hard after he stumbled out of the blocks, for second in 10.24.

In semi-final 1, which is far more competitive than the other, Powell will run from lane five and Blake six.

Powell, despite his easy but dominant performance, is prepared for stiff competition on Friday.

“Tomorrow is going to be a bit more competitive, so I’m just taking it one step at a time,” he said.

Blake, who is recovering from injury, said he’s going to do “much better” on Friday.

“I am working and everything is going according to plan. Mentally I’m getting there, but physically I am ready,” he said.

Nesta Carter, Kemarley Brown, Kimmari Roach, Andrew Fisher, Michael Frater and Jason Livermore are the other athletes down for semi-final 1.

In semi-final 2, Kemar Bailey-Cole (10.05) and Nickel Ashmeade (10.12) will battle. Both won their respective quarterfinals on Thursday.

Also in this semi-final will be Bernardo Brady, Oshane Bailey, Sheldon Mitchell, Dexter Lee, Tyquendo Tracey and Jevaughn Minzie.

In the women’s 100m prelims, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, the world leader at 10.82, along with Kerron Stewart and Chanice Bonner start in heat 1/3.

In heat 2, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Schillonie Calvert and Jonielle Smith are the ones to watch while Sherone Simpson, Natasha Morrison and Samantha Henry-Robinson face the starter in heat 3.

The final of both races are set for 9:00 pm and 9:15pm.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:03:23 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »
For those who wish to follow the JA Senior Champs on live right now check this link: http://1spotmedia.com (paid link)

Link for live JA Senior Champs updated results: https://www.brawtasports.net/tfresults/2015/jamaicanationalsnrchamps/results.html

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Injured Bolt pulls out of Paris, Lausanne
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »
Injured Bolt pulls out of Paris, Lausanne
Published on Jun 30, 2015, 8:22 pm AST (T&T Express)

REIGNING WOLD CHAMPION: Usain Bolt

KINGSTON - Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt’s troubled season continued yesterday when he pulled out of the Paris and Lausanne Diamond League meetings due to a leg injury.

“I’m disappointed not to be able to compete in Paris and Lausanne. I love running at these meetings but at the moment I am unable to compete at 100 per cent. I look forward to getting back into full training as soon as possible,” Bolt said in a statement on his website.

The Paris meeting is on Saturday with Lausanne the following Thursday with Bolt planning to run one 100m and one 200m race.

Jamaica’s Olympic and world champion pulled out of the 100m at the Jamaican trials last Thursday.

“He (Bolt) has been feeling discomfort in his left leg since his last competition which has restricted his training,” a statement from his management team said.

“He has a blocked sacroiliac joint which is restricting his movement and putting pressure on his knee and ankle.”

Bolt, 28, has struggled for form this season with moderate best times of 10.12 in the 100 metres and 20.13 in the 200.

The world record holder in both events has wildcard entries to the world championships in Beijing in August.

“He will spend the next couple of days in Munich getting treatment after which he will resume full training in his quest to defend his titles at the world championships,” the statement added.

Bolt’s coach Glen Mills confirmed the lanky sprinter’s training had been hampered.

“For several weeks now he has been complaining and he has been restricted in his training by the complaints, hence it triggered the trip to the doctor,” Mills told Reuters by telephone.

Mills was pressed about whether he was worried that the eight-times World Championship gold medallist would not be ready for Beijing.

“What I can say is I’m very concerned about the progress of his preparation so far,” Mills said. “But as to between now and Beijing that depends on what I learn when I have the discussion with the doctor.”
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:12:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Asafa Powell likes flying under radar to world championships
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
Asafa Powell likes flying under radar to world championships
Published on Jul 2, 2015, 2:00 pm AST (T&T Express)

FILE - In this Sept.7 2014 file photo, Asafa Powell celebrates after winning the men's 100 meters competition at the IAAF Grand Prix in Rieti, Italy. Usain Bolt's Jamaica teammate Asafa Powell believes the world record holder's struggle with injury and poor form is "just a phase" and not the beginning of the end for the sprinter. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino, File)

PARIS (AP) — Offered a glass of water in a sweltering Parisian heat wave, Asafa Powell shook his head, preferring the risk of thirst.

Once bitten, twice shy: Having served a doping ban for ingesting a contaminated supplement, the former 100-meter world record-holder says he takes zero chances with what he eats and drinks.

At age 32, another enforced time-out could kill any hope Powell has of converting his speed into major championship gold that has always eluded him. His haul, not including relay gold medals with Jamaica, from three Olympic sprint finals and three world championships is two bronze medals, from the 2007 and 2009 worlds — surely less than Powell's undoubted talent deserves.

The world's fastest human from June 2005 to May 2008 when Usain Bolt usurped and then completely overshadowed him, Powell sees himself as a still very speedy and dangerous underdog heading toward the world championships in August.

And that suits him just fine.

"Being under the radar, it's always good, you know? The underdog. No one knows what to expect. You can just strike at any time," Powell said before racing in Saturday's Diamond League meeting in Paris shorn of Bolt, his Jamaica teammate out injured with a blocked joint in his left leg.

Truth be told, Powell is probably selling himself a bit short.

First, in May, and then again last week in winning the Jamaica trials, he twice ran a very respectable 9.84 seconds. That is faster than the 2015 best of Tyson Gay, back from a one-year doping suspension and heading to the worlds as U.S. champion.

It also is as quick as the 2015 and personal best of Trayvon Bromell, the 19-year-old who snapped at Gay's heels at the U.S. championships last week. And, perhaps most importantly, it is far quicker than Bolt this year, who ran a lame 10.12 in April, way off his world-record 9.58 in 2009.

In fact, only Justin Gatlin has run faster than Powell this year, with 9.74 in May and 9.75 in June. If those times make Gatlin the favorite at the worlds in Beijing, then Powell cannot be far behind.

"For now, the older guys are still on top, and we're running very fast," Powell said. The younger generation of sprinters, "they'll just have to wait their turn."

But unlike Powell, 33-year-old Gatlin is only getting quicker with age. That and the four-year doping ban he served make the American's detractors suspicious, and make him a subject Powell would rather avoid.

"It's just a very uncomfortable topic to talk about, you know? I don't like to get into it," he said. "I just hope that he is doing what he is doing to the best of his ability and doing it honestly."

Powell said his own ban was "very difficult" to come back from. The Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced it to six months, from an initial 18 months, after he explained that the banned stimulant oxilofrine found in his urine came from a supplement. That experience is why Powell refused the water the organizer of the Paris meet offered him during a news conference on Thursday.

"I just don't accept anything from anyone anymore," Powell said later. "I'm just super careful."

Powell believes Bolt's struggles with injury and poor form are "just a phase" rather than the beginning of a permanent downward slope. But Powell also suggested that it might be smart of Bolt not to seek to defend his 100-meter title in Beijing.

"If he's not 100 percent," he said, "then I think he should focus mainly on the relays or the 200, you know, because the 100 meters is going to be very difficult. But hopefully he can get back in shape and feel like his old self and try to do both races."

But, really, Powell is most focused on himself.

"I'm out of the shadow," he said, "and soon I'll be into the light."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaican athletes want to run for another country
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 11:18:09 PM »
Jamaican athletes want to run for another country
Published on Jul 21, 2015, 8:55 pm AST (T&T Express)

Andrew Fisher, Shericka Williams and Kemarley Brown request switch of allegiance to Bahrain

KINGSTON\\\\\ Olympic silver medallist Shericka Williams is among three Jamaican athletes who are seeking to compete for the oil rich country of Bahrain. The Jamaica Administrative Athletics Association (JAAA) has confirmed that it has received applications seeking a change of allegiance from Williams, Kemarley Brown and Andrew Fisher.

Brown, a sprinter, won silver at the just concluded World University Games, while Andrew Fisher was fifth at the National trials in June in the 100 metres and was in line to represent Jamaica in the men’s sprint relay pool at next month’s World Championships.

Williams qualified for the women’s 400 metre final at the National trials in June, but did not show for the final. JAAA’s general secretary Garth Gayle says the release of the athletes was approved and that document has been sent to the IAAF for approval.

The three Jamaican athletes will have to wait a year from the date of approval before they can represent their new country, once the IAAF approves the switch.

Jamaican sprinter Jacques Harvey recently started to compete for his new country Turkey under the name Jak Ali Harvey, while his countryman, quarter miler Brandon Simpson made a similar switch and represented Bahrain.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:48:06 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't trust the system - VCB
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
I don't trust the system - VCB
By Audley Boyd (Jamaican Gleaner)
Published:Wednesday | December 9, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Campbell-Brown

QUEENS, New York:

ONE of the world's leading athletes, Veronica Campbell-Brown, says based on her own experience, she distrusts the way anti-doping measures are effected.

At the National Championships in 2013, Campbell-Brown returned a positive test for diuretics (lasix) and was provisionally suspended. She denied knowingly taking banned substances and was later cleared (October 2, 2013) by the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) and issued a public warning.

The International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF), the sport's world governing body, appealed the decision, but the Court of Arbitration for sport (CAS) cleared Campbell-Brown of all doping charges, citing the JAAA's testing procedures for not being complicit with international standards.

As a consequence of that experience, she has no faith in the system and is urging fellow athletes to be honest and arm themselves with enough information to avoid making incorrect decisions pertaining to doping.

Seventeen-time Olympic and World Championships medallist Campbell-Brown was in New York at the weekend where she was a guest of honour at the 21st Children of Jamaica Outreach yearly function and presented with its Humanitarian Award for her work as a philanthropist.

While here to collect her award, she was asked about a couple of current drug-related happenings in her sport, one relating to the Russian Federation - and, by extension, its athletes - being banned from competition after a systematic doping programme was uncovered; and corruption allegations against former IAAF president, Senegal's Lamine Diack.

"I tend not to judge people," she said, when asked if the IAAF's first-time decision to ban an entire country's athletes from competition was unfair.

"You never know what's going on, and based on my experiences, which I really don't want to go into, I really do not trust the system, and I won't ever trust the system and that's the most I want to say," Campbell-Brown stated firmly.

"But I do believe that God has blessed a lot of people and there are a lot of talented people out there, and the great talent that we have makes for great competition, but that's all I'm going to say about that.

"The federation made their ruling and I don't know all the information they have to make that ruling," she added.

Diack is alleged to have taken bribes totalling more than US$1 million as part of a cover-up for Russia's doping issues.

"I do not know the president personally, so there's nothing I can say on that matter," was the Jamaican sprinter's offering on that topic.

She said the bad news isn't good for track and field.

"I do not follow the negative part of my sport too much, because it is not good for us, it's not good for the upliftment of the sport," the 33-year-old pointed out.

"Track and field needs more support, we need more sponsors, and with the negative publicity that we're getting, it's not helping us, so I tend to just stay focused on me and I just pray that people will be honest in what they're doing ."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:25:11 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>