March 28, 2024, 05:35:24 PM

Author Topic: We are Caught in a Loop but We Can Get Out  (Read 2473 times)

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We are Caught in a Loop but We Can Get Out
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
Sometimes when history is ignored a "dogma  loop" results. Essentially this dogma loop comes about when the employment strategies are repeated over and over again without taking into consideration the lessons that experience has taught.

Our football is more than 100 years old. I ask the question: What are the fundamental beliefs that underpin the application of our footballing capabilities?

Do we have a network of knowledge reinforced by experience which lays the pattern for utilization of tactics and players?

Do we have a basic doctrine which serves as the building block for strategy and a reference  guide for National Coaches?

I can sense that there is no such doctrine because our National Coaches are always operating from their own personal doctrine.

It is in the best interest of Trinidad and Tobago football future that such doctrine be formulated.

The current situation is what it is...we are in "the loop"...we cannot expect the TTFA to get us out of it now... how do we proceed?

The National Coaches have to be very methodical in their planning process.

Basically only two problems were identified by the Men's Senior team head Coach:

1. Financial Constraints

2. The inadequate preparedness of players to play at the international level

The desired end goal of all football is victory on the football field. In order for coaches to achieve this desired end the coaches must be able to do well:

1. Plan

2. Execute

3. Assess

4. Adapt to influence

5. Change systems or capabilities in order to achieve the desired end

There are three ways to achieve football's desired end:

1. Annihilation - overwhelming the opposition

2. Attrition - Wearing down the opposition

3. An Effects based approach to the way your and your team operate

To get out of this loop I can see us adopting an Effects based approach i.e being able to apply the above two approaches but giving way to adaptability based on the nature of the challenges which we are faced.
This practical approach takes into consideration the full array of outcomes and anticipates a wide range of options as well as unintended consequences.

The two positive points made by the National Senior team Coach which prompted me to write this paper were:

1. Player Adaptation

2. Continual Assessment

The Effects based approach are driven by desired ends, expressed in terms of desired effects, not by availability of resources or capabilities of the players.

We must realize that human element is the thing that makes the difference...when human wills clash creativity and adaptability can emerge from chaos.

Where humans are concerned, unlike machines, the sum of the parts doesn't equal the whole. Small inputs can lead to large outputs. Conversely poor choices can lead to huge inputs to yield on game day
insignificant outputs.

The Coach doesn't have the luxury of many International friendlies, so it's up to the coach's planning ability. All possible outcomes, seen and unforseen must be considered. An attempt to create the challenges and the environment has to be done to expose the players.

The Coach must becareful not to get lost in Execution that is not effects- based, which has little or no strategy, little or no anticipation of adaptation to opponents actions.

Assessment must be continuous. Player performance must be measured relative to actions and effectiveness of those actions in terms of creating the desired effects.

Assessment feeds future planning.

The last thing I'll say on this topic is on Strategy:

The paradoxical nature of effective strategy sometimes require that inefficient means be employed.

"Creation begins with destruction"....Pablo Picasso

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:24:14 PM by coache »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: We are Caught in a Loop but We Can Get Out
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:23:36 PM »
I left the word Can out of the heading ..it's an error.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »
You know I was told that I am the only man who post something and answers his own post..I get the feeling that  when real issues are raised ..and the truth is brought to light the members of the TTFF who pose and fans and supporters find ways to downplay,stifle, ignore, and denigrate the individual or individuals who bring truths to the fore.

I have come to realize that this site has many registered members and many viewing guests, but these members and guests for the most part are disheartened by the state of football affairs.

These people flock to this site from all around this planet for a place to get  in touch with our football.

People visit ..they come ..they go..they may say a word or two ..most are dissatisfied with the football..but one thing is constant..

There is one group of people on this site who defend the works of the TTFF come what may..they will go down fighting...they are the true Soca Warriors.

No matter what.. the status quo must be maintained.. wow ..it is so uncharacteristic of the Trini I have to conclude that these members are themselves ..the very same people being criticized by myself and the few others who blast them..

It is a crying shame.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »
Coache you make some very good points but yuh does cry and bellyache too much fuh ah (presumably) grown man.  Yuh ever stop and thought that maybe dat is why some people doh bother responding?  A.B. Trini does post topics and answer his own topics.  Some make fun of him because of it but he eh business, to his credit he does just continue posting as he feels, who respond, respond.  Take a page from his book and just post whatever yuh feel is important and doh worry about responses.  Yeah, people disheartened by recent failures but that is nothing new, soon 2018 qualifying will start and activity will pick back up.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Most Experienced Coaches Should be in Charge of our Youth
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Alvin Corneal said it.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Effects-Based Approach to Football Operations should be Adopted
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
Effects -Based Approach to Football Operations (EBFO) is a seamless melding of Planning, Execution, and Assessment into an Adaptive whole.

Planning -  Takes into account all the  means thru which the planner develops Strategy

Execution - Encompasses all ongoing operations  necessary to develop overall football rhythm as well as 
                 individual actions.

Assessment - The planner must make all efforts to evaluate and gauge progress because it feeds future
                    plans.
                  -  Assessment must be anticipatory, predictive, measurable and objective based.
                   - Assessment not only helps determine if a player can perform a skill for instance but if
                      the player can perform the skill at the right time in the right situation objectively. Also
                      not only can the player perform the task right but did the player perform the right task?

There must be continuous questioning: " Are we doing the thing right, Are we doing the
                        right thing ?" This questioning leads to  Adaptation.

Adaptation _  The player changes in the environment. We change to suit the environment.

Napoleon: " If I always appear prepared, it is because before entering on an undertaking, I have
                 meditated long and have forseen what may occur."

EBFO is currently a rapidly expanding area of football discussion and thought application. It is a new paradigm as seen utilized by major european clubs; it is a construct which promises  "winning efficiency"

Annihilation and Attrition  still form the bedrock of this "destruction-based targeting" concept but EBFO adds a new layer or new alternative.

Sun Tzu : " To fight and conquer all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Annihilation/Attrition: input-based, decisions are targeted  ways and means which are proportionally dependent on available resources.

EBFO : Strategy-to-Task, Outcome-based , comprehensive in thought, end state focused.

The planner can achieve the desired end state by crafting all actions which produce desirable effects. The planner can then minimize unwanted effects which hinder the attainment of the desired end state.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:07:15 PM by coache »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why History is Important
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
History is important for the development of Theory, which leads to the development of a body of best practices, which would provide the framework of our football operations.

History, considered from different perspectives, can result in competing explanations. Take the 1974 and 1990 WC qualifiers as examples; despite all the parties involved encountered similar experiences, they would individually interpret their experiences differently.

It is important for us however, to take these historical lessons learned and utilize them to form a body of best practices.

History is the Root of Doctrine: It is out of History , Theories and Doctrine are produced.

It is Doctrine which enables us to plan Strategy and carry out Execution.

When we ignore History, a "Dogma Loop" results in that Strategies repeated over and over without considering lessons that History taught us.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
If you're in T&T, you would need to get used to the Trini way!  ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
two good posts. hold a  :beermug: but too abstract for my taste. what yuh say? play molino deeper? bench kj?  ;D

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:08 AM »
Kounty to answer your question ...I personally would play Molino as a withdrawn striker and KJ as the deep man to strech the field for us and create more space for Molino to do his damage..the keys are the wings and the midfield they are the ones who have to make  the goals for these guys.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »
... Static and dynamic do not a promising pairing make? Discuss.

1]; } ?>