March 28, 2024, 03:43:33 AM

Author Topic: Minister Sancho scores with SWO.  (Read 14880 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Minister Sancho scores with SWO.
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
By Inshan Mohammed.

Leading from the forefront.

Newly appointed Minister of Sport and former Soca Warriors defender, Senator Brent Sancho has aspirations of making a positive change in this Country’s sporting industry and at the same time bringing some professionalism and pride back to a ministry that many consider corrupt.

It's the first time in T&T's history that a national footballer is holding such a prestigious government position. Although Sancho may have gotten some stick for aligning himself with a government embroiled in controversy, it was welcoming news for many that a prominent footballer now has a chance at making a positive change to T&T football and sports on the whole.

The Belmont born, former Trinity College and St. Johns University student, will celebrate his 38th birthday while in the hot-seat on March 13th. The once tough tackling defender has had a well-decorated career as a footballer. He has played for his country's junior teams before graduating to the seniors where he racked up 42 international caps. These caps could have been greater in number if it wasn’t for Sancho being blacklisted by the former TTFF; which was spare-headed by disgraced football don Jack Warner and his sidekick, Oliver Camps.

Even at the beginning of his career Sancho face major adversity, as he had to battle former T&T coach Bertille St Clair to be selected for national team duty. The hard-nose defender possessed all the ingredients for the game, but his hairstyle was a major point of contention for St Clair. The Tobago-born head coach viewed long hairstyles as a hindrance in football and England's Peter Crouch may have proven that he had a valid point. (laugh).

Sancho’s performance at his club Portland Timbers and his determination to play for his country eventually forced St Clair's hand and he made his T&T debut on March 2000. Along with his international accomplishment, Sancho has also played for over 14 professional clubs throughout the world.

Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPoRTT) and the Minister of Sport has had a bit of controversy in the past dating back to 2009 when the then Sport Minister Gary Hunt purchased a 2 million dollar giant T&T flag. Mind you, our very own Warrior Nation fan club got its flag for a mere fraction of that cost and it’s 3 times the size of Hunt's.

The move turned out to be Hunt's retirement ticket and he was subsequently replaced by the unscrupulous Anil Roberts, a one time Jack Warner enemy turned friend. At the time Warner himself was part of the T&T government and had found favor with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Roberts, however, really stole the show as he ran a corrupted and unsupervised LifeSport programme where millions of tax payers’ dollars were unaccounted for. As a result, the former Minister was forced to resign his post amidst corruption allegations and was replaced by Dr. Rupert Griffith, a Science and Technology Minister. As the interim Minister of Sport, Griffith did not make any significant changes and 6 months into the job he gladly made way for Sancho's appointment.

Sancho subsequently became the third sports minister under Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar's leadership.

The newly appointed minister is known for his professionalism and determination to get the job done. He has however had to overcome many challenges on and off the field as a T&T national and even at club level.

He's had to battle Gillingham's chairman Paul Scally for undermining him when Sancho choose country over club during the 2006 World Cup build-up.

He also led the 2006 Soca Warriors to battle the untouchable Jack Warner for promised World Cup bonuses.

Also in 2003 the articulate, Sancho along with former T&T teammates; Travais Mulraine, longtime pal Kelvin Jack and Gary Glasgow assumed the role of spokesmen for 19 national footballers fighting for better playing conditions. The players eventually withheld their services and went on strike.

Still Sancho and the striking footballers remain uninhibited and determined to form a Football Players’ Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT). The players’ union was formed to safeguard the right to compensation for services rendered and also to secure proper working conditions for present and future national footballers.

In the end, FPATT never took off and no particular reason was given. Sources however, did mention it fell apart mainly because local players were unsure about the Union and were scared of being blacklisted by the then TTFF Adviser Jack Warner.

Today, Sancho's main aim is to stabilize the Sport Ministry in the potentially limited time he has to make a difference. As T&T's general election is months away, it’s likely that the unpopular current government will lose, and Sancho could make way for a new minister.

Sancho, a longtime supporter of the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) was all too pleased to touch base with us. Read Sancho's first SWO interview since his M.o.S. appointment.

Mr. Sancho, on behalf of the SWO, I would like to say congratulations on your new position and good luck to you in the hot-seat.

MoS: - Thank you on your kind sentiments. Whatever I do, I maintain a high level of professionalism and this I will bring to the position. With respect to the comment on "time", I am aware that the period for being Minister of Sports will be short due to the upcoming elections, therefore I will not be pursuing any huge projects. However, I will be influencing improvements in ongoing projects as well as to make tangible inputs into upcoming policy decisions. My goal is to make a positive impact on the Ministry so that whoever takes over my portfolio will have streamlined procedures, structured policies and motivated staff.

1. What are your plans for T&T Football, our local leagues and the SSFL from an overall standpoint?

a) The TTFA has been having a hard time paying off millions in debts which has been "one" of the main factors in them not being run effectively. Off course, there are other matters that I personally feel they can improve on.
b) The local league is somewhat stagnant and does little to develop young players and market its brand.
c) The Secondary School Football League is essential as its the oldest and most supported league in T&T. It however affects the development of young players, because there isn’t an age cap for older players.

MoS: - Everyone in Trinidad and Tobago would like to see improvement in men and women football, whether it is grass roots development, school football, professional or semi-professional, international, and the ably-challenged. To date, I have met with several National Sporting Organizations and made my message very clear:  the Ministry is not a charity or a cash dispenser. The criteria for being granted funding are: 1.  All transactions must be transparent and there must be accountability for the funds provided.  2.  I want value for taxpayers’ money. I want to know "What's in it for the T&T citizen?" ie coaches supporting the various programmes; our youth being welcomed at events; I want to see development of our young talent. 3. Organizations must be able to show that they are attempting to become financially independent thereby weaning themselves away from government support. This will involve showing how they are engaging the corporate sector in assisting in their programmes and how they are developing income streams for themselves. Besides providing funding, the Ministry can provide assistance with their audits and accounting.

I will be convening a symposium with major corporations to promote the value of investing in sport and will be encouraging the various bodies to become involved in future facilities so that they can generate income and control their own destiny.

TTFA has gained financial support to build their own training facilities which is how I wish other organizations to emulate. There will be very little input from the Ministry, but I will be working closely with the TTFA to ensure that the benefits derived will include the community.

I have met with TT Pro League and despite my offers to assist them in meeting the requirements to achieve funding, Larry Romany - Chairman, assured me that they have their affairs in order and will be able to provide the relevant requirements by mid-March. Mr Romany advised that their only barrier to financial self-sufficiency was the lack of community grounds which I will be looking into. In fact, one of the projects that I inherited is North East Stars obtaining access to a football specific facility in Sangre Grande before the end of 2015. I want to see this fast tracked and to be used as a template for similar facilities around the country.

I cannot comment too much about SSFL and its role within football - that is a question for the TTFA.

I am encouraging all organizations to put aside internal politics and to bring all the stakeholders under their umbrella to develop their respective sports. I have seen too many different entities within a sporting discipline working unilaterally. This "splintering" is an ineffective use of resources and talent. Most sports require teamwork, even if the team consisted of an athlete, coach and administrator. There is no "I" in TEAM.   

2. Guys like TTOC president Brian Lewis, TT Pro League Chairman Larry Romany, TT Pro League Dexter Skeene (etc) to name a few have been involved in T&T Olympic and Football League for quite sometime.  Will we see a new law that prohibits one from serving over two, maybe three terms as head of an association. Or can individuals be properly and honestly evaluated at a point in their careers if they are to serve over a proposed term?

MoS: - If a person is right for the job, I see no reason why they can't work in more than one discipline, providing they are effective and efficient. However, I am not particularly fond of "professional board members" who attain positions, yet contribute little. I also am not happy about people who contribute little to the sport, either financially, emotionally, or don't have the potential to impact the sport. In my view, a chairman or president is similar to a referee. He observes, listens and enforces the regulations, but he should not influence the players’ ability to make their own decisions. I note your point about long serving officers, and again, providing that a fair, democratic process has kept them in place, I have no issue. 

3. There are so many Stadiums and community fields in T&T and yet our athletes suffer when it comes to gaining access to it particularly around Carnival time, especially the local league who has had to cancel games or make last minute fixture change because unavailable venues. Will we see something done to fix this? I also find it very upsetting that teams have to play at the controversial Marvin Lee Stadium which is owned by the infamous former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner.

MoS: - I was one of many, who complained about using the stadiums for fetes especially when it affected fixtures. However, now that I am privy to the mindset of SPORTT I can see the rationale. The stadiums are provided free of charge to the Pro League, but renting the stadiums for commercial use is good financial policy. If I want to make a case for a particular budget, it's important that I can argue that the Ministry is an income contributor. In fact, I use this point when explaining to the sporting bodies why they must give me value for money. My goal is to better utilize the country's stadiums to generate income, thus making a case for their regeneration and maintenance. Meanwhile, it is essential to get the Pro League out of the stadiums into their own income generating facilities that will allow fixtures to be met in a public private partnership format. I see this as a way forward in relieving the Ministry of some expenses, create some income and giving the clubs the ability to control their own futures.

4. The local league needs a home field. Where it’s strictly for league games. Is there any possibility the League can be provided a stadium?  For example, can the Ato Boldon Stadium, which is centrally located, be leased out to the league at a relatively low price for 20/30 years?  This will allow the League to have a reliable full time calendar and it would also be responsible for maintaining it.

MoS: - As you will see from my answer above, I have a different perspective. Our stadiums are too big for the crowds attending games. There is need for more intimate, compact, football specific venues where camera points can be effective. There should be no running tracks separating supporters from the football action.

Stadiums can be utilized for other sports. I'm sure athletes get frustrated when they cannot train in the stadiums due to football activities!

5. Will we see some changes in the law, for example;

a) Allowing foreigners of Trinbagonian grand-parentage eligibility to represent T&T in sport?

b) Giving companies a tax break if they sponsor local sports?

MoS: - I'm not sure that I can change laws on my own!! But I take your point. I would prefer to focus on developing our homegrown talent, which I believe is greatly untapped at the moment. Companies do get tax breaks, but the procedures are not attractive at the moment. For example, if I'm a Brand Manager with a budget of $1 million in 2015, it doesn't interest me that my company will get a tax rebate in 2016.

This is why I will be meeting with corporate leaders to encourage methods of sponsorship. For example, if we build facilities as mentioned above, would they pay naming rights? Would they lease corporate boxes? Would they install for example, KFC's, TGI's, Digicel outlets? Would drinks companies pay for exclusive pouring rights? We need to bring business into sport to create income for the stakeholders and to reduce the dependency on the Ministry of Sports. Remember that our whole economy depends on energy prices, so we must develop income streams outside of the government, which will include sports tourism, which, I predict, will greatly increase in T&T over the next few years.

6. Our past ministers have wasted millions on sporting facilities like the controversial Brian Lara Stadium and corrupted programs like LifeSport, among many others projects. Not to mention they spend millions of tax payers’ dollars fixing the stadiums and then allowing them to be used to host fetes. In return the fields are damaged and the government have to spend millions more for repairs. Will we see changes in the way the ministry in run in the near future?

MoS: - I too am disappointed with some of the items you have listed above. In some cases, the situations have developed through lack of understanding of what exactly is needed. For example, you cannot use the same designs for a football stand as a cricket stand. Changing rooms for cricket teams need to be designed differently than football teams. Also, we try to accommodate all sports in one venue and fit square pegs in round holes. Often, this is due to budget restrictions. I intend to include athletes at the design stage. We have international athletes, who have visited the best stadiums worldwide. They will know what athletes require. If we want to attract overseas athletes, we must provide top class facilities. They don't need to be in mega stadiums or billion dollar projects, just sport specific venues. How could we ask Blackburn Rovers to visit and shower under a standpipe?

7. Now that you are in a ministerial position, will we see a renewed court battle to go after Jack Warner to recover the millions that were stolen from T&T football. Can you also touch on the Marvin Lee Stadium situation? Many would like to know who owns it, how was money accumulated to purchase it, who owns the land and why are games still be played there? Doesn’t the ban FIFA imposed on Jack Warner prohibit him or anything he owns to be associated with football?

MoS: - I cannot shed much light on these points at the moment. Certainly, the players involved in the court case made a commitment to carry on the search for missing funds. I, personally, have to step away from that fight now, but that still leaves 12 players to continue. The use of Marvin Lee, at a cost, is a necessity at times, especially when the Pro League can't use the free stadium facilities.

8. You were accused by Jack Warner of working for SIS and being a man of many caps, can you touched on this? Also, who will be part of the staff you plan on hiring to help you succeed in your term as Minster of Sports.

MoS: - I certainly am a man of many caps....over 40 for the senior national team! I would like to set the record straight on the statement made, that I worked for S.I.S.. Central F.C.'s first sponsor was S.I.S. and they have contributed generously to professional football in T&T. They were interested from the beginning in investing in the community and they felt that Central F.C. was a good conduit. I will say that once the club developed, they also caught the football bug.

Banker's Insurance Group are now their major sponsor, but there are other sponsors who assist the club, for example, Phoenix Park Gas Processors funded last season's women's programme including Treat Her Like A Lady and the All Female Football Camp. Clearly I have had to step back from Central F.C. and the other members of the board are now making decisions. With such a short period of time ahead of me, I am blessed with many good sporting contacts worldwide.

9. SWO heard a rumor that you gave the TTFA an ultimatum, that in order to get all funding requests, they must hire your colleagues Terry Fenwick and Kevin Harrision. Can you elaborate on this?

MoS: - I have not had that discussion with the TTFA and Kevin is my personal advisor. He works for me not the Ministry.

Flex, thank you for the opportunity to share some of my thoughts with the forum. For many years, you guys have pleaded for sports people to get involved in administration, so now that I'm here, I hope you'll support me and, like in Germany, if I score an occasional own goal, allow me another game to put it right!

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:28:44 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Minister Sancho scores with SWO.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
I see a man get kill for scoring an own goal in World Cup

But we from sweet TNT so we giving big work instead.

Good luck sancho make it better than where u meet it

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:51 AM »
Good stuff Brent, you sound like you rolled up your sleeves and have started working....no hype, just work!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:27:22 AM »
Boss interview, Flex at his best.

Sancho, yuh sounding real.

Good luck youth, mash them up and make yuh mark.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
Serious business. Good stuff Flex and Sancho.
Community grounds, intimate environments, camera angles, transparency, accountability, corporate incentives, pursuing lost funds and suspected plans to infiltrate the TTFA & eventually take it over. Throw Uncle Tim over the bus & possibly keep Shell-done if he cooperates.
Music to my ears. Yours too Horner?
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »
Enjoy your 8 months Sancho and save your money because you will be out like the rest.

And we are thinking hard about closing the Marvin Lee Stadium and making it into a sport hotel. So you and your league better look for alternatives soon, nothing is confirm as yet.

And Flex, what you mean by who owns the Marvin Lee? I will gladly since you a copy of the deed.

Sancho will bring Kelvin Jack and Fenwick soon to join him.

How can Kevin Harrision be part of T&T cabinet and he is not even a T&T citizen?

All you need is a English accent in T&T to get a job. You go to England with your Trini accent and they want to bash you in and deport you, here we worship them.

I will say this and please remember my prediction, after Sancho's short term I would be able to count on one hand with no fingers how much he has accomplished.

I spoke to one of the contractors at the Brian Lara Recreation Ground last week and they were laughing at Sancho, pulling up in his suit giving orders and dont know half of whats going on.

Sancho, you are working for a snake, but I know you are hungry and need to eat ah food, they fire my good friend Anil Roberts but Ashwin Creed is still there.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:46:06 AM by Jack Horner »
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »
Wha happen like FS done posting? He done nuff campaigning in here - now he get big wuck he eh have time  lol.
Ah wonder how many times Jack "mudda    "  he lol

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »
Despite the central location of the Ato Boldon Stadium, it is probably the worst one for football fans. That's because it is the most difficult one to get to by public transport.
Attendances there always suffer as a result. Always.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »
Despite the central location of the Ato Boldon Stadium, it is probably the worst one for football fans. That's because it is the most difficult one to get to by public transport.

Maybe Flex should have asked that question also.

Good point SWF Reporter, Sancho should look into this?

Eventually all these field (Ato, Manny etc) will become community fields as T&T population is expanding. So no need to build new ones, just fix the current ones, it will be cheaper and better.

But all fields should have public transportation access, thats a no brainer.

Sancho is right, the track around the field is terrible.

Good interview anyway.

And good luck to Brent.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:36:21 AM by Sando »

Offline ragga

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »

- it aint all that bad to get to AB Stadium by "public" transit

- if you take a north-south ptsc bus, it makes a stop at the preysal flyover (solomon hochoy hi-way) $4

- from there it is a 5-10 min walk to the stadium or a 2 min ride by taxi or the nuff ph on that route - $2

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 05:06:40 AM »
So why de clubs doh offer free buss service to season holders?

Sancho, you working alongside men who can change de law as far as naturalize foreign born T&T citizens (grand kids), make it happen.

Sancho, yuh talking tata, we do not have a youth system to produce young players and we will never have one, and de few good ones we get they all go aboard anyway.

You is a minister now, and Kamla like yuh, enforce de bigger tax break rule to, you have a chance to make a difference, do it.

PS: FS, diss we, he get big wok now.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:09:15 AM by Sam »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »

Rapid Rail will take care of that in the future.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 06:08:57 AM »
So why de clubs doh offer free buss service to season holders?

Sancho, you working alongside men who can change de law as far as naturalize foreign born T&T citizens (grand kids), make it happen.

Sancho, yuh talking tata, we do not have a youth system to produce young players and we will never have one, and de few good ones we get they all go aboard anyway.

You is a minister now, and Kamla like yuh, enforce de bigger tax break rule to, you have a chance to make a difference, do it.

PS: FS, diss we, he get big wok now.

FS, diss we, he get big wok now.  So says the man who was offered the first interview with the Minister of Sport and declined!!! (Mind you, given a choice out of interviewing a politician and shagging a local girl, I can't really blame him lol)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 06:19:36 AM »
We miss yuh on de forum.

;)

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
Flex, you asked the question about Skeene, Lewis and Romany, but Sancho is no difference.

Skeene, Romany and Lewis is a waste but yet they are here for over a decade now and Sancho saying that they deserve to be here if they are doing a good job, are they?

How many places Sancho works now, SIS, MoS, Central FC, etc etc, he is really good?

He can juggle like Latapy and defend like Sancho

;)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
There is no constitutional reason why a new government should not reappoint Sancho as MOS if he is doing the job right.  But our problem is that every thing is about political parties and not efficiency.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »
Flex, you asked the question about Skeene, Lewis and Romany, but Sancho is no difference.

Skeene, Romany and Lewis is a waste but yet they are here for over a decade now and Sancho saying that they deserve to be here if they are doing a good job, are they?

How many places Sancho works now, SIS, MoS, Central FC, etc etc, he is really good?

He can juggle like Latapy and defend like Sancho

;)

I don't think Sancho is saying that they deserve to be there. But he cannot remove these people as they are elected within the rules of their organisation.
Obviously, you've missed the other comments, but Sancho has NEVER worked for SIS! However, he was CEO at North East Stars

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Central FC’s co-owner now minister’s adviser
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 10:52:29 AM »
By Gail Alexander (T&T Guardian)

British citizen Kevin Harrison who co-owned (SIS) Central FC football club with Sport Minister Brent Sancho is now Sancho’s adviser.

This was confirmed by the ministry and Harrison yesterday.

Sancho was appointed on February 2 to replace Rupert Griffith. The latter replaced former minister Anil Roberts, who resigned last year amid the Life Sport furore and corruption allegations concerning that programme. It is under probe by police, the Integrity Commission and other authorities.

Central Football Club, “The Sharks”, is a T&T professional football club.

It was founded in 2012 by Sancho and is based in California, Couva. It plays in the TT Pro League.

After the club’s first season, it built a reputation in bringing football in community events, having completed over 12 projects and had reportedly struggled over the years.

In September 2013 the club received sponsorship from Couva-based Super Industrial Services (SIS)

Harrison joined the team in 2013 as operations director. After Sancho was appointed, Harrison was reported to have taken over as managing director of CFC since Sancho, as minister, had to separate himself from the club.

He was quoted in news reports that the changes would not negatively affect the club and that Sancho would not be involved in the club. 

At that time Harrison was quoted as saying while it was a good move for Sancho “politically, it was not the best time to take the position with all the controversy that’s going on.”

He said yesterday the ministry had an allocation for the post of adviser and secretary.

He said the secretary was under contract and he also had a short-term—about three months—contract and was “just a civilian paid by the ministry” but gets no public service benefits like gratuities or such. He said the contract may be extended depending on when the general election was held and Parliament dissolves.

Harrison said he remained CFC’s operations manager and was also continuing the managing director duties. He said he would be able to manage all portfolios since the ministry stint was short term.

He said he would steer clear of any situation where conflict of interest could arise and would recuse himself or step away if confronted with that.

Harrison said he understood fully there could not be one rule for some people and another rule for others and that the only way the situation might be abused was if CFC got more than others.

He said that would not occur. “All clubs would be treated alike and no preferential treatment would be given,” he added.

Harrison said CFC, which qualified for the Carib Cup Championships on Wednesday night, had applied to the ministry for assistance since last October, well before Sancho was appointed minister. Efforts to contact Sancho yesterday were futile.

Formerly from the UK, Harrison, 52, lives in central Trinidad. His business career includes real estate and giving financial advice to footballers from several leagues.

After the 2006 World Cup, he was reportedly approached by Sancho, Kelvin Jack and Ian Cox, who asked for his help with a dispute over bonus payments to the squad.

After visiting the region to deal with legal action, he reportedly declined a TT Pro League offer but later helped negotiate a sponsorship arrangement between DirecTV and North East Stars FC, where Sancho was CEO and subsequently both established CFC.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
He said yesterday the ministry had an allocation for the post of adviser and secretary.

But wait... I thought I read elsewhere that he was being paid by Sancho personally... and not the ministry?

By Inshan Mohammed.

MoS: - I have not had that discussion with the TTFA and Kevin is my personal advisor. He works for me not the Ministry.

So he doesn't work for the Ministry... but is being paid by the Ministry (his own words) from a Ministry allocation?  Power corrupts.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 03:41:52 PM »

But wait... I thought I read elsewhere that he was being paid by Sancho personally... and not the ministry?

By Inshan Mohammed.

So he doesn't work for the Ministry... but is being paid by the Ministry (his own words) from a Ministry allocation?  Power corrupts.

Bakes, you're seeing ghosts that don't exist.

Every Govt Minister is allowed to employ a personal adviser on a contract basis on a stipulated package . The adviser is not a civil servant. He/she does not advise the Ministry, they advise the Minister. He/she is paid by the Ministry but does not receive a civil service pension etc.

I believe that this process is the same in USA and UK (except the title may be Political Adviser?)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:54:22 PM by Football supporter »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »
By Gail Alexander (T&T Guardian)

British citizen Kevin Harrison who co-owned (SIS) Central FC football club with Sport Minister Brent Sancho is now Sancho’s adviser.

This was confirmed by the ministry and Harrison yesterday.

Sancho was appointed on February 2 to replace Rupert Griffith. The latter replaced former minister Anil Roberts, who resigned last year amid the Life Sport furore and corruption allegations concerning that programme. It is under probe by police, the Integrity Commission and other authorities.

Central Football Club, “The Sharks”, is a T&T professional football club.

It was founded in 2012 by Sancho and is based in California, Couva. It plays in the TT Pro League.

After the club’s first season, it built a reputation in bringing football in community events, having completed over 12 projects and had reportedly struggled over the years.

In September 2013 the club received sponsorship from Couva-based Super Industrial Services (SIS)

Harrison joined the team in 2013 as operations director. After Sancho was appointed, Harrison was reported to have taken over as managing director of CFC since Sancho, as minister, had to separate himself from the club.

He was quoted in news reports that the changes would not negatively affect the club and that Sancho would not be involved in the club. 

At that time Harrison was quoted as saying while it was a good move for Sancho “politically, it was not the best time to take the position with all the controversy that’s going on.”

He said the secretary was under contract and he also had a short-term—about three months—contract and was “just a civilian paid by the ministry” but gets no public service benefits like gratuities or such. He said the contract may be extended depending on when the general election was held and Parliament dissolves.

Harrison said he remained CFC’s operations manager and was also continuing the managing director duties. He said he would be able to manage all portfolios since the ministry stint was short term.

He said he would steer clear of any situation where conflict of interest could arise and would recuse himself or step away if confronted with that.

Harrison said he understood fully there could not be one rule for some people and another rule for others and that the only way the situation might be abused was if CFC got more than others.

He said that would not occur. “All clubs would be treated alike and no preferential treatment would be given,” he added.

Harrison said CFC, which qualified for the Carib Cup Championships on Wednesday night, had applied to the ministry for assistance since last October, well before Sancho was appointed minister. Efforts to contact Sancho yesterday were futile.

Formerly from the UK, Harrison, 52, lives in central Trinidad. His business career includes real estate and giving financial advice to footballers from several leagues.

After the 2006 World Cup, he was reportedly approached by Sancho, Kelvin Jack and Ian Cox, who asked for his help with a dispute over bonus payments to the squad.

After visiting the region to deal with legal action, he reportedly declined a TT Pro League offer but later helped negotiate a sponsorship arrangement between DirecTV and North East Stars FC, where Sancho was CEO and subsequently both established CFC.

I would like to point out that the article has several errors. Despite having a nice chat with Mrs Alexander, she failed to confirm several facts before going to press.

(SIS) Central FC football club has never existed in this format. The club has always been named Central F.C.

After the club’s first season, it built a reputation in bringing football in community events, having completed over 12 projects and had reportedly struggled over the years.   How could the club have "struggled over the years" after it's first season??

In September 2013 the club received sponsorship from Couva-based Super Industrial Services (SIS) The sponsorship began in 2012.

Harrison joined the team in 2013 as operations director I conceived and formed the club with Sancho in 2012.

Harrison said CFC, which qualified for the Carib Cup Championships on Wednesday night, had applied to the ministry for assistance since last October, well before Sancho was appointed minister. Central F.C. qualified in May 2014. How could we apply for funding in October if we didn't qualify until February?  ???

It's also kind of sad that Mrs Alexander hadn't bothered to relate the accomplishments of Central F.C. over it's three year period. Surely, that would give some kind of justification to the appointment? Also, an accurate account of my career.  His business career includes real estate and giving financial advice to footballers from several leagues.  I did work as an estate agent before becoming a financial adviser. Working for the P.F.A. is a fairly prestigious position in the UK, but that doesn't come across here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:56:34 PM by Football supporter »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »

Bakes, you're seeing ghosts that don't exist.

Every Govt Minister is allowed to employ a personal adviser on a contract basis on a stipulated package . The adviser is not a civil servant. He/she does not advise the Ministry, they advise the Minister. He/she is paid by the Ministry but does not receive a civil service pension etc.

I believe that this process is the same in USA and UK (except the title may be Political Adviser?)

The only 'ghosts' I'm seeing are the ghosts of Sasha Mohammed, Reshmi Ramnarine et al.  If you say these 'ghosts' don't exist then blame your boss for breathing life into them.  He's the one who made clear that you don't work for the Ministry, you work for him personally.  If you work for him personally why are you being paid with public Ministry funds? 

I also don't think you should be trying to compare this to that of a "political advisor".  I can't speak for the UK but in the US a political advisor (political consultant) is someone a campaign hires to advise on election strategy.  What is the political expertise that qualifies you to advise Sancho on politics?  I'm willing to accept that you didn't literally mean that you were a political advisor... and I'm sure you can see that even for anyone looking on objectively that this raises questions of nepotism.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Nepotism......lol.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »
Nepotism......lol.

I get your point. But let me ask you a question.......if you took the position of Minister in a controversial dept, with a staff of hundreds, would you want one person who you could trust to have your back?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
Nepotism......lol.

I get your point. But let me ask you a question.......if you took the position of Minister in a controversial dept, with a staff of hundreds, would you want one person who you could trust to have your back?

Obviously you want "your people" around so as to keep you in the know. Coming into such a tenuous situation it's understandable.

I am accused of being bias cause I have a man love thing for Sancho apparently. To be honest I have not even followed all of this.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »

Kamla made much the same argument for hiring her sister as her travel companion... she had unspecified "health issues" which required her to hire someone she trusted.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:54 AM »
Obviously you want "your people" around so as to keep you in the know. Coming into such a tenuous situation it's understandable.

I am accused of being bias cause I have a man love thing for Sancho apparently. To be honest I have not even followed all of this.

Not you was the hypocrite who was accusing Sheldon Phillips of nepotism for hiring Lincoln Phillips (never mind it was the head coach who hired LP)?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 05:34:54 AM »
Gov't Ministers are allowed to hire one personal staff/help/adviser...the minister is allocated funds for the hire, but the Ministry does not pay the hire. Most ministers hire drivers/chauffeurs.

Not a PP fan, neither am I hyped up about Sancho's appointment. But there's nothing wrong with FS being Sancho's adviser

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:55 AM »
TBH, this whole situation is foolish and not forward thinking, PP/UNC do some real foolishness instead of appointing a man who is qualified for the position.

No offense to Sancho I hope he does well in the post but he's not the right man for the job and FS as advisor?? that doesn't make sense, why is a non trini advising on government affairs and being paid by the government...

I'm sorry FS but you are lucky so many intelligent minded ex pats are no longer in the nation because scenarios as this would not happen...

in fact this is a big joke  :D

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »
TBH, this whole situation is foolish and not forward thinking, PP/UNC do some real foolishness instead of appointing a man who is qualified for the position.

No offense to Sancho I hope he does well in the post but he's not the right man for the job and FS as advisor?? that doesn't make sense, why is a non trini advising on government affairs and being paid by the government...

I'm sorry FS but you are lucky so many intelligent minded ex pats are no longer in the nation because scenarios as this would not happen...

in fact this is a big joke  :D

Fair enough, but I don't understand this " not qualified for the job" argument. So Kamla should have acted the way Manning, Panday etc performed and put in place a "qualified" Minister of Sport? Like who? Hunt? Roberts?

I've only been coming to this site since 2006, but I've never seen a Minister of Sport make you guys happy. Maybe Sancho won't either, but I think that you don't know his capabilities. Should we just keep building facilities that are 20 years out of date? Should the Ministry continue to be an ATM for poor administrators to beg from?

Sancho may not be there for long, but I will tell you that his policies will bring more efficiency in the future.

And personally, I feel that T&T is lucky to have me. What the hell has nationality to do with performance? As both Sancho and I have asked, why not just wait and see?

1]; } ?>