March 28, 2024, 12:49:53 PM

Author Topic: Minister Sancho scores with SWO.  (Read 14882 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Minister Sancho scores with SWO.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
Sancho says final word rests with him

Gail Alexander
Published:
Saturday, February 28, 2015

Brent Sancho
Sport Minister Brent Sancho has said his adviser Kevin Harrison is adviser to him moreso than the ministry, but he ultimately makes the decisions, not Harrison.

Sancho was commenting Thursday night on the appointment of Harrison as his adviser on a short-term contract. Harrison is managing director/operations manager of Central FC (CFC) which Sancho owned. Sancho severed ties with the Club after becoming a minister.

Harrison also said Thursday there would be no preferential treatment for CFC on his part, and he would step away from any situation in which a conflict of interest arose.

Sancho said he did not see any problem with Harrison’s appointment because, after receiving any advice from Harrison, he (Sancho) would still have to weigh it and make a final decision which would be his own.

He said if there was any inappropriate conduct, the contract would end. Sancho made it clear he had taken the ministerial appointment to serve the country, since the request had been made of him at this time.

Also, yesterday, CFC representatives said SIS Ltd was not the only sponsor of the club, since they had sponsorships from about 11 sponsors including Ramsingh’s Sports of Couva.

Businessman Nal Ramsingh confirmed he was a sponsor of CFC, adding: “I support them...in cricket, football and sporting groups, temples and other organisations. I’m a person like that; where I can give freely or serve, I do so. I have no ulterior motives.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »
Honestly FS, I glad for you. Basically you are a forum member and we have been following your movements with Sanco and CFC organization from its inception. By and large most (or some) of us commend both you and Sanch for the way you guys are attempting to make the team identify with the central community.  But seeing the nature of politics in TT, it very hard for some or most of the forumites not comment on your appointment.  One of the reasons the PNM lost the last election was the accusation of nepotism by the party. Manning hired Hart, a Canadian as a close advisor. Many did not like a foreigner having the ears of the PM. Even Rowley vented his displeasure. But Patos relented and we saw the consequences. I personally feel you will give Brent sound advice, which hopefully will be beneficial for sports and of course, our beloved footie. But Mr. Panday retorted that politics have a morality of its own. I translated that as meaning, it's always easy commenting from the outside. But when you are inside, it is a different kettle of fish. You fall in line with the people you used to criticize. I really hope you do the right thing. Good luck.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
Good talking Deeks,

Once Sancho do right, I good and could careless who he hires.

But he need to help T&T football and stop talking in he ass about ATM because when he was a player he was expecting government ATM also.

He have to help de TTFA even if its for a bit. He here for to short and talking to big, people will judge him on that, we want to see action, help the TTFA man and save we football.

Put de shit aside, Tim Kee time will come, put up some ground work and ultimatiums so they will have to be consistent to get more, but they need help now.

The little time FS here and Sancho they made a BIG difference in the T&T league and they do a lot of community service with Central FC more than de TTFA in a decade, they need to advise de TTFA how to do it.

Central doing better in two years than other league teams do in 10., so Sancho cah be bad.

De only thing, I was so see action, so FS, go there and represent we and doh forget de SWO.

Who vex, f00ck them because anyone they put there will bring they own team.

They need to fix the TTFA doh, like make them more friendly, they treat de fans like shit and expect we to come out and full stadiums. They press officer is de worst.

News years come and gone and you cant hear a peep. They do some make up video on facebook and call de women team, team of the year. I meet some of them ladies in T&T and them laughing to.

This same women team made them millions and full de stadium since 2006 but not even a medal or a thanks.

Half ah de people vex because its not about Sancho, its about PNM, they coulda do no wrong even if a money was running de PNM party.

Bennie Hin, de Chinese and C.Hart take all T&T money under Patrick Manning, but they forget that.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:03:09 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
Obviously you want "your people" around so as to keep you in the know. Coming into such a tenuous situation it's understandable.

I am accused of being bias cause I have a man love thing for Sancho apparently. To be honest I have not even followed all of this.

Not you was the hypocrite who was accusing Sheldon Phillips of nepotism for hiring Lincoln Phillips (never mind it was the head coach who hired LP)?

Yes I did. Check when though and in what context I did.

You real butt hurt over Sancho boy, whey sah.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »

I "butt hurt over Sancho" because I point out to you the fact that you're being a hypocrite? Ok.

For the record, it matters not what FS' nationality is, if he's most qualified among equals then that's all that matters. The problem is we don't know how his candidacy ranks compared to others, well, because there was no open transparent process.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »

I "butt hurt over Sancho" because I point out to you the fact that you're being a hypocrite? Ok.

For the record, it matters not what FS' nationality is, if he's most qualified among equals then that's all that matters. The problem is we don't know how his candidacy ranks compared to others, well, because there was no open transparent process.

There is no open or transparent process Bakes. I guess that out of all the people he has personally worked with, he preferred me. It's his choice. Just like when a new coach takes over, he brings his own people. I'm sure that's the same in the corporate world too. The only qualifications needed are "does he trust me" "can I help him complete his role" "do I have any skeletons in the closet".

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »
You don't have to explain or defend the appointment to me, the larger point I was raising is that we tend to complain about nepotism but only when convenient. Not only that, but this is public funds that were dealing with, it's quite different from in the corporate world or on a football staff.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »
You don't have to explain or defend the appointment to me, the larger point I was raising is that we tend to complain about nepotism but only when convenient. Not only that, but this is public funds that were dealing with, it's quite different from in the corporate world or on a football staff.
Bro' this is how it's done in T&T. All them Ministers in Gov't and Secretaries in the THA use this selection process for their advisers. Sancho met this system and was probably advised as to what the criteria was. If it faulty it is not his fault.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »
Bro' this is how it's done in T&T. All them Ministers in Gov't and Secretaries in the THA use this selection process for their advisers. Sancho met this system and was probably advised as to what the criteria was. If it faulty it is not his fault.
I get that, all of that is fine and good. The issue is Sancho came in campaigning as a reformer, he was heavily critical of the current set up, but now that he's a part of it he has acquiesced to it. As such, he is fair game for the very same criticism that he himself either expressly or implicitly engaged in before. But again, my comments were more so directed at the SWO members here who were critical as well, but now are either willing to turn a blind eye or are praising him.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
I get that, all of that is fine and good. The issue is Sancho came in campaigning as a reformer, he was heavily critical of the current set up, but now that he's a part of it he has acquiesced to it. As such, he is fair game for the very same criticism that he himself either expressly or implicitly engaged in before. But again, my comments were more so directed at the SWO members here who were critical as well, but now are either willing to turn a blind eye or are praising him.
Breds, I doubt we on this forum are so naive to think that  this may not have happened when we first heard about Brent's appointment. Like Doc said, this how things go in TT.  We don't have to agreed. I just hope they do something for sports and football.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
Yup, let's watch and see.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 04:15:50 PM »
Sancho aint self last 2 weeks and he start with the Jack Warner tactics.
Special Advisor .....Warner invent them tactics

wonder if the ministry have to pay this advisor

How you can have a man working for your private business and you give him a govt work in your govt capacity.

maybe you might pay him with govt money to cut back on your own private pay role

questions can always be asked
why put yourself in these situations.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Sancho aint self last 2 weeks and he start with the Jack Warner tactics.
Special Advisor .....Warner invent them tactics

wonder if the ministry have to pay this advisor

How you can have a man working for your private business and you give him a govt work in your govt capacity.

maybe you might pay him with govt money to cut back on your own private pay role

questions can always be asked
why put yourself in these situations.

KND, clearly you are not reading these posts! Once again, every Minister is entitled to a PERSONAL adviser. This is not a new thing. It is a practice that exists in most democratic governments. The PNM have not opposed it because they too would have personal advisers if they were in power.

How you can have a man working for your private business and you give him a govt work in your govt capacity.  So, you would choose a total stranger rather than a business partner whom you know can perform the role?

Whether you agree with this accepted practice or not, there is nothing untoward about the appointment. I'm just amazed that after all these years of bleating about football not being represented and SWO not being given access to put forward it's views, now you have a former world cup player who's club is arguably the best in the Pro League in only it's third year, AND an SWO member in the Ministry yet you're trying to create some kind of scandal where none exists.  :frustrated:

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »
Nothing against the new minister - but it might have been better to effect change by standing firm with principles rather than accepting the first bone yuh get.

What wrong with waiting for the election and  coming out on a platform that shows what you are all about!!
FS no matter ho why slice it- nepotism is what it is no euphuism needed. FS appointment is in many ways akin to a former PM who upon being elected appointed his wife to ah ministerial post- your could imagine how many  nights  she probably had that saltfish up for ransom?
How yuh reprimanding yuh wife for wrong doings or not doing ah job?

Look nah is all India family ting playing out in Politricking Party

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 06:16:24 AM »
Commissioner of State Lands confirms...
By Asha Javeed (Express).

SIS SQUATTING

Commissioner of State Lands Ian Fletcher says that Couva-based conglomerate Super Industrial Services (SIS) has been illegally occupying some 35 acres of land in Perseverance Village, Couva.

Fletcher, in an interview with the Express last Friday, said that SIS does not have tenancy for the 35 acres of land which it has already cleared and blocked off with fences since last July.

The land belonged to Caroni Ltd and was once vested to the Estate Management and Business Development Co Ltd (EMBD), but has now been vested with the Commissioner of State Lands.

That unit falls under the Ministry of Land and Marine Resources, headed by Minister Jairam Seemungal.
SIS, founded by Krishna Lalla in 1979, has a main office at Rivulet Road, Couva, and another office at Farm Road, Perseverance, which acts as a warehouse operation.

It is adjacent to the land that the company has fenced off.

“SIS does not have a tenancy for the land. I know they have a lease for part of the land, but not for the other part,” Fletcher said.

Under the Basdeo Panday administration, SIS obtained a lease for a 30-acre parcel of land on which its warehouse and some of its business operations are now located.

Last August, the Sunday Express had exclusively reported on the land grab by SIS.

Sunday Express investigations had revealed that some farmers, who had been squatting on the lands for some 15 years, quit their crops after being offered cash by SIS to vacate the land.

Some farmers claim to have been intimidated into vacating the land, while others accepted $2,000 to $5,000 to abandon the land.

Caroni officials had told the Sunday Express they were unaware of any approval being given to SIS.

Ronald Alfred, head of the Original Jab Jab, who has been squatting on his piece of land for the last 15 years, turned down a cash offer of $50,000 from SIS to vacate his land.

He has since sought the assistance of Couva North MP Ramona Ramdial in getting a lease for the land, but the matter has not yet been resolved.

As of now, SIS has basically taken the place of the farmers squatting on the State lands.

Fletcher explained that SIS has only now applied to his office for tenancy of the land.

“They are now going through the process of complying, but I don’t know if they will get the approvals,” he said.

Pressed on what action he would take if SIS was not granted final approval for the land, Fletcher replied: “They will be asked to vacate or I will remove them.”

SIS is a business conglomerate that has been the recipient of million-dollar contracts from the People’s Partnership Government.

The Express tried unsuccessfully to contact SIS’ chief executive David Lumsden for comment.

Lalla has said he does not own SIS.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Commissioner of State Lands confirms...
By Asha Javeed (Express).

SIS SQUATTING

Commissioner of State Lands Ian Fletcher says that Couva-based conglomerate Super Industrial Services (SIS) has been illegally occupying some 35 acres of land in Perseverance Village, Couva.

Fletcher, in an interview with the Express last Friday, said that SIS does not have tenancy for the 35 acres of land which it has already cleared and blocked off with fences since last July.

The land belonged to Caroni Ltd and was once vested to the Estate Management and Business Development Co Ltd (EMBD), but has now been vested with the Commissioner of State Lands.

That unit falls under the Ministry of Land and Marine Resources, headed by Minister Jairam Seemungal.
SIS, founded by Krishna Lalla in 1979, has a main office at Rivulet Road, Couva, and another office at Farm Road, Perseverance, which acts as a warehouse operation.

It is adjacent to the land that the company has fenced off.

“SIS does not have a tenancy for the land. I know they have a lease for part of the land, but not for the other part,” Fletcher said.

Under the Basdeo Panday administration, SIS obtained a lease for a 30-acre parcel of land on which its warehouse and some of its business operations are now located.

Last August, the Sunday Express had exclusively reported on the land grab by SIS.

Sunday Express investigations had revealed that some farmers, who had been squatting on the lands for some 15 years, quit their crops after being offered cash by SIS to vacate the land.

Some farmers claim to have been intimidated into vacating the land, while others accepted $2,000 to $5,000 to abandon the land.

Caroni officials had told the Sunday Express they were unaware of any approval being given to SIS.

Ronald Alfred, head of the Original Jab Jab, who has been squatting on his piece of land for the last 15 years, turned down a cash offer of $50,000 from SIS to vacate his land.

He has since sought the assistance of Couva North MP Ramona Ramdial in getting a lease for the land, but the matter has not yet been resolved.

As of now, SIS has basically taken the place of the farmers squatting on the State lands.

Fletcher explained that SIS has only now applied to his office for tenancy of the land.

“They are now going through the process of complying, but I don’t know if they will get the approvals,” he said.

Pressed on what action he would take if SIS was not granted final approval for the land, Fletcher replied: “They will be asked to vacate or I will remove them.”

SIS is a business conglomerate that has been the recipient of million-dollar contracts from the People’s Partnership Government.

The Express tried unsuccessfully to contact SIS’ chief executive David Lumsden for comment.

Lalla has said he does not own SIS.

Why is this in this thread?

Central received sponsorship, does that mean they are responsible for the inner workings of business?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

I agree with Bakes on the point that there were no interviews or other qualified candidates offered the position, at least to our knowledge, but I cannot agree with the nationality part... It is akin to qualified candidates in T&T having a fair opportunity to apply, who else will apply?

But then you have to question yourself about what are the laws governing such an appointment. Maybe the leniency in the law has allowed for this supposed nepotism to occur. I assume as I am not familiar with the laws surrounding this appointment. But I am sure, first preference should be given to a T&T citizen over other individuals???

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
Why is this in this thread?

Central received sponsorship, does that mean they are responsible for the inner workings of business?

No one is blaming anyone, just reading info on SIS as they relate to Sancho and Central FC.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:22 AM »
5. Will we see some changes in the law, for example;

a) Allowing foreigners of Trinbagonian grand-parentage eligibility to represent T&T in sport?

b) Giving companies a tax break if they sponsor local sports?

MoS: - I'm not sure that I can change laws on my own!! But I take your point. I would prefer to focus on developing our homegrown talent, which I believe is greatly untapped at the moment. Companies do get tax breaks, but the procedures are not attractive at the moment. For example, if I'm a Brand Manager with a budget of $1 million in 2015, it doesn't interest me that my company will get a tax rebate in 2016.

This is why I will be meeting with corporate leaders to encourage methods of sponsorship. For example, if we build facilities as mentioned above, would they pay naming rights? Would they lease corporate boxes? Would they install for example, KFC's, TGI's, Digicel outlets? Would drinks companies pay for exclusive pouring rights? We need to bring business into sport to create income for the stakeholders and to reduce the dependency on the Ministry of Sports. Remember that our whole economy depends on energy prices, so we must develop income streams outside of the government, which will include sports tourism, which, I predict, will greatly increase in T&T over the next few years.

DOUBLE TONGUE

Sancho keen to develop women’s football
By JOEL BAILEY Tuesday, March 3 2015

BRENT SANCHO, Minister of Sport, is keen on the betterment of Trinidad and Tobago football, which he served with distinction as a player during the 2000s.

As a result, he is paying particular attention towards the state of women’s football in the twin-island Republic. Sancho is pushing forward with plans to have a women’s professional league and utilising gate receipts, from international fixtures at home, to offset the salaries to members (players and the technical staff) of the men’s team.

In a telephone interview, the Sports Minister, commenting on the women’s agenda, noted, “we want to have an in-depth look at having the possibility of having a women’s professional league. So it’s something that is very high on the agenda of things that I’ll like to do.” The former national team defender added, “I strongly believe it would assist in the development of our sport. I would make sure that, with discussing with the stakeholders involved in it, that we make sure that the input would see the development of our young talent as well as the continued development of our existing talent.” Sancho admitted that it is currently a proposal, but he wishes to have it implemented as early as this year. “It’s still in the embryotic stages,” he said.

“I’ve mentioned to both WoLF (Women’s League Football) and the TTFA. They like the idea. It’s just now to see the feasibility of it. It’s something that we can continue to push forward.” The Sports Minister plans to see teams from all areas of Trinidad and Tobago involved in the pilot project. “We want to raise the level of women’s football in the country,” Sancho stated. “We’re looking at bringing players from outside the country, doing a draft system, and also (expecting) that each team have a certain amount of youth players. It really is an opportunity to try and lift the women’s programme. We understand the financial constraints of the (TTFA) and the WoLF.” He continued, “we were 20-odd seconds from going into probably extra time and probably into a World Cup. We want to put forward a plan that will see us continuously qualify for world tournaments, in the women’s side of football.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »
Sancho: Sport facilities must become viable
By Sue-Ann Wayow (Express).

New home

THE main focus for Sport Minister Brent Sancho is to make money for the country through sport. Sancho said sport could not be continued to be seen as recreation only but as an investment.

Sancho was speaking to the media yesterday during a tour of the National Cycling Velodrome soon to be opened in Couva.

Using the multi-million facility as an example of world class status, Sancho said the facility and others to be built will be used for both business and recreation. Sancho said: “We are looking at sport as a business and that is something this ministry is very high on. We are looking at naming rights for it, different booths named after different corporate companies.

‘’This arena is multifaceted. You could hold functions, parties, weddings. All our facilities that we build in this country here on forward has to be multifaceted. Sports tourism is a business in itself. You talk about the low oil prices, sports could be a supplement for us in terms of possible diversification of the economy.” He said in the past a stadium was built for one purpose which was no longer feasible for the country.

“We tend to look at sport from the entertainment perspective but we have not really ventured out into the business of sport and that really is what I want to see,’’ pointed out the Sport Minister. “That is where we have to go. We have to look at things from a business perspective. We have to start looking at sport tourism as the next big income earner for us.”

Sancho said facilities must be built with gyms, restaurants, bars and other recreational type businesses.
Having top facilities will only increase athletes’ competencies, he contends.

“What happens with a world class facility now is that it attracts world class athletes and the only way you can get better in sport is when you compete against the best. That is what these facilities will do. It would give you the opportunity to compete and not just on a random level but on a consistent level against the best,” said Sancho.

He said it did not matter the amount spent on facilities. “There is no cost in sport and what sport can do for a nation. There is no price tag to what sport can do in impoverished areas, what it can do to the young man.

It could help quell a lot of our social ills,” Sancho emphasised. He said the opening of the velodrome was long overdue but now “the ability of us accomplishing real medals, gold medals, in all the major cycling competitions is right around the corner.”

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 06:52:55 AM »
Sancho says final word rests with him

Gail Alexander
Published:
Saturday, February 28, 2015

Brent Sancho
Sport Minister Brent Sancho has said his adviser Kevin Harrison is adviser to him moreso than the ministry, but he ultimately makes the decisions, not Harrison.

Sancho was commenting Thursday night on the appointment of Harrison as his adviser on a short-term contract. Harrison is managing director/operations manager of Central FC (CFC) which Sancho owned. Sancho severed ties with the Club after becoming a minister.

Harrison also said Thursday there would be no preferential treatment for CFC on his part, and he would step away from any situation in which a conflict of interest arose.

Sancho said he did not see any problem with Harrison’s appointment because, after receiving any advice from Harrison, he (Sancho) would still have to weigh it and make a final decision which would be his own.

He said if there was any inappropriate conduct, the contract would end. Sancho made it clear he had taken the ministerial appointment to serve the country, since the request had been made of him at this time.

Also, yesterday, CFC representatives said SIS Ltd was not the only sponsor of the club, since they had sponsorships from about 11 sponsors including Ramsingh’s Sports of Couva.

Businessman Nal Ramsingh confirmed he was a sponsor of CFC, adding: “I support them...in cricket, football and sporting groups, temples and other organisations. I’m a person like that; where I can give freely or serve, I do so. I have no ulterior motives.”

Look at Sancho our new Minister of Sport then think of Oliver Camps.

Now look at Kevin his "Special Adviser" with this devious look on his face and think of Jack Warner.

Can we totally believe that Sancho is really in charge? It remains to be seen.

I'm on kicks eh FS! :devil:

Good luck to the team, I honestly hope you can make a major positive impact on Sports in T&T before the government has to call General Elections or another SoE to save them having to face the voters.

PS:
Btw FS, why aren't you wearing your yellow jersey like Sancho is? This needs to be a team effort and we don't want to see anyone being sacked by our beloved PM!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:28:09 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Harrison is a good dude, better than what we had ever.

He will help, trust me.

Sancho and him good.

Better than all de other theifing crooks.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Harrison is a good dude, better than what we had ever.

He will help, trust me.

Sancho and him good.

Better than all de other theifing crooks.

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 04:06:08 AM »
Sancho disburses Elite Athlete Funding
T&T Newsday Reports.

Newly appointed Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, disbursed a total of $397,500 in Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP) funding to seven national athletes from two sporting disciplines on Wednesday.

Receiving the much welcomed funds from the Ministry of Sports were athletic representatives Darrel Brown, Rondell Sorrillo, Romona Modeste, Gerrone Black, Kai Selvon and Shawna Permin. Additionally, national endurance cyclist Varun Maharajh also received funds for the first time, and is expected to put it to good use as he further develops himself on the American cycling circuit.

Meanwhile, athletes who were also recipients of funding prior to the aforementioned include Lalonde Gordon, Zwede Hewitt, Richard Thompson (all of athletics) and boxer Michael Alexander.

The total sum of the Elite Athlete Funding released by the Ministry of Sport for fiscal year 2014-2015 thus far is $1,015,000.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
ahem, ahem,, Minister, oh Minister...  Canada to Bbdos, costing meh another 5k Canadian..the boys alone 2 K Canadian to rep,MzTing at CCcan, was 1k, not counting the 18 + k Can we already spend THIS YEAR to keep them up to speed..ahhh..no, no, nobody tell we to swim...ahh ah, no, nobody tell we to rep TT.. ah ok..we will try to hold on..    :-[
oops wrong thread..whey the hardluck thread...oh yeah, remember now   lol

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Sancho disburses Elite Athlete Funding
T&T Newsday Reports.

Newly appointed Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, disbursed a total of $397,500 in Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP) funding to seven national athletes from two sporting disciplines on Wednesday.

Receiving the much welcomed funds from the Ministry of Sports were athletic representatives Darrel Brown, Rondell Sorrillo, Romona Modeste, Gerrone Black, Kai Selvon and Shawna Permin. Additionally, national endurance cyclist Varun Maharajh also received funds for the first time, and is expected to put it to good use as he further develops himself on the American cycling circuit.

Meanwhile, athletes who were also recipients of funding prior to the aforementioned include Lalonde Gordon, Zwede Hewitt, Richard Thompson (all of athletics) and boxer Michael Alexander.

The total sum of the Elite Athlete Funding released by the Ministry of Sport for fiscal year 2014-2015 thus far is $1,015,000.

I am sure this happened since last month before T&T carnival!!

Why is the Newsday so late with this info and making it seem like this disbursement took place this week?

Go here for same info from last month: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=64004.msg920231#msg920231

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
Ministry not an ATM
By COREY CONNELLY (Newsday).

Brent Sancho says transparency and accountability will be the hallmark of his stewardship as Minister of Sport in the People’s Partnership Government.

“I see organisations bringing me budgets and pleading poverty while management enjoys a high standard of living, yet their staff is owed money. I cannot justify that kind of budgeting,” Sancho says of his interactions with sporting bodies since assuming the post last month.

“If an organisation is in debt, you have to reduce your spending. Every sporting organisation, team and club needs to be run like a business.”

Borrowing a perspective from United National Congress (UNC) political leader, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, who, early in her tenure as Prime Minister in 2010, condemned the practise by some Caribbean islands of turning to Trinidad and Tobago for financial assistance in times of crisis, a tough-talking Sancho declared that the ministry, too, “was not an ATM where people can just receive handouts.”

“I want transparency and accountability. These may just be words to some people but to me they are fundamental requirements to achieve funding,” he says. During his tenure, Sancho, 37, says he will also be pushing for value for taxpayers’ money.

“I want to know what’s in it for the TT citizen.

I want their coaches supporting our programmes. I want our youths to be welcomed at events.

I want to see development,” he says, Weaning organisations away from government support, says Sancho, also factors prominently on his agenda. Bent on encouraging various sporting bodies to take an active involvement in future facilities and so generate income and control their own destiny, Sancho says:

“I want to see how they (sports organisations) have engaged support from the corporate sector and how they have developed income streams for themselves. In return, I can offer more than money. If need be I will help them with their audits and accounts.” He also plans to convene a symposium with senior corporate executives to promote the value of investing in sport.

“I am engaging corporate TT in sport in a meaningful way. For example, I am talking to Caribbean Airlines (CAL) to assist with overseas flights for our athletes and teams. In return, CAL would be recognised as a sponsor with their logo on travel jerseys and tracksuits.

“Think about it, our athletes compete in every continent and are televised into hundreds of millions of homes globally. What a fantastic promotional tool! Sponsoring sport is the best value for money promotion you can buy.”

Sancho’s goals may seem quite ambitious given the limited time frame in which he has to effect meaningful change at the ministry, ahead of the upcoming general election.

However, he assures that he will not pursue any major initiatives within the next few months but rather influence improvements in existing projects as well as make tangible inputs in forthcoming policy decisions. “My goal is to make a positive impact on the ministry so that whoever takes over my portfolio will have streamlined procedures, structured policies and motivate staff,” he says. The dreadlocked Sancho, who holds a degree in Psychology from St John’s University in New York, has had no grace period within which to gradually embrace his role at the ministry.

He’s had to buckle down to work quickly but describes his stint within the government thus far as phenomenal.

“It has been an exciting time for me as I experience the inner workings of the People’s Partnership.” The sport portfolio, he admits, has been especially overwhelming.

“My initial thoughts were, how can one person do this job?” he jokes.

“My wife says that I live at the ministry. I’m usually at work by 7 am and I’m rarely home before 8pm each day.”

Apart from his Cabinet and senatorial duties, the former national footballer has a slew of tasks to which he has to attend on a daily basis.

Outside of these responsibilities, he oversees the SPORTT Company, “which in itself is a full-time role.”

The father of two, who announced his retirement from international football in October 2006, told Sunday Newsday, “There was no honeymoon period as I had to immediately immerse myself in a myriad of projects while trying to learn everyone’s name and function. But I have to say that I am enjoying the role and I have set myself specific goals to achieve during my tenure.” The founder of Central FC, who enjoyed a stellar career as a member of TT’s beloved Soca Warriors and as a player on several high-profile, foreign-based teams, Sancho admits that he had never considered a career in politics before being approached by the Prime Minister to take up the sport portfolio in the government. “I had no previous political inclination and had not considered entering politics, at least not for another ten years or so.” The ministry, he was told, was in need of “someone dynamic with leadership to bring about positive change” and the Belmont-bred Sancho, who made his debut on a political platform during the UNC’s Monday Night Forum at Brazil Government Secondary, last week, readily accepted the opportunity to serve.

“As a professional footballer and sport being my passion, I see myself contributing to my country in a meaningful way and to helping the youths and all athletes by ensuring that proper facilities and funding required, are provided for them to succeed in their relevant discipline. I am grateful for the opportunity to see the situation from the other side of the fence and bring positive change where I can,” he says.

So, can a sportsman make a good politician?

Observing that quite a few athletes have made the transition from sport to politics, Sancho listed Brazilian football legends Pele and Zico as persons who have successfully traversed both fields.

Pele, he says, holds the title of “Extraordinary Minister of Sport” in his homeland while Zico, who worked briefly in Fernando Collar de Mello’s administration in the early 1990s as sport minister, is still recognised for securing passage of a bill to assist clubs with their business affairs by ensuring they were run in a professsional fashion. At home, he recalls that late netball star Jean Pierre had also served briefly as Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs and Member of Parliament for Port-of-Spain West from 1991 to 1995 in the People’s National Movement administration.

Sancho, who was the owner/coach of the Trinidad and Tobago Football League Club, North East stars, again dismissed talk that he is being groomed to contest the Toco/Sangre Grande seat on a UNC ticket for the upcoming general election.

“I have not been asked by the Honourable Prime Minister to contest the Toco/Sangre Grande seat or any other seat. There is no truth to the talk,” Sancho says. The seat is currently held by his predecessor in the sport ministry Dr Rupert Griffith.

Sancho says his focus, in the interim, will be to improve the status of sporting organisations.

His announcement of a semi-professional women’s football league during last week’s political meeting is a case in point.

“Most people would agree that our national women’s team excited the nation like no other team since the Soca Warriors of 2005/6 but after their last-minute loss to Ecuador, what have they done?” Sancho asked.

“They have had no games, nothing has been put in place to build upon their success and the interest generated. These girls need regular football so that they can develop.”

Sancho is hoping to use his office to organise international matches for the players. He laments that while there has been a positive start to women’s league football, it did not provide any income for the players. “My concept is to offer six or eight franchises to corporate TT based on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) system,” he says. “Each team would have its own sponsor and would contain a sprinkling of overseas players.” The minister pointed out that while he will assist with the creation of the league, there would be very little financial input from the government.

Sancho also intends to embark upon the construction of several football-specific facilities to encourage Pro League clubs to become financially self-sufficient. “I am seeing that there are many sports in need of facilities and I would hope to address this more after the election,” he says. Aside from his portfolio, Sancho says he is deeply concerned about the ccountry’s crime situation. However, he believes that sport can help to turn young people away from crime.

“No child is born bad. We have to give them attractive alternatives to drugs and gangs,” he says.

Sancho says the society has the ability to mentor children who do not respect institutions such as schools and the law. “They come to us to have fun, and while they’re enjoying their sport we can embed certain core messages that can help to shape their psyche going forward,” he says. “Teamwork, honesty, respect, passion, self-belief are all components of sport success. They are also building blocks for great citizenship. Prevention is better than cure and sport can be a cure.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 07:35:32 AM »
'Peter Crouch is probably the most hated Englishman in our history'
By Rob Stevens (BBC Sport)

"I think Peter Crouch is probably the most hated Englishman in the history of Trinidad and Tobago because of that goal."

Nine years on, Brent Sancho can look back on the moment that sent both players into the footballing history of two small Caribbean islands with a bit of pride and dry humour.

There were eight minutes left of the goalless group match between England and Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 World Cup in Germany when Crouch, then a Liverpool striker, used the defender's dreadlocks to help lever himself up to head home a trademark David Beckham cross.

Despite the clear infringement the goal stood.

"It is folklore here in Trinidad. It is one of those things that anywhere I go, people will always remind me," Sancho told BBC Radio Kent.

"Everyone has their spin on it - where they were when it happened and their dislike for him."

Crouch's goal saved England's embarrassment and Steven Gerrard added another goal in stoppage time to seal a 2-0 win.

England had almost slipped up against the smallest nation to ever qualify for the World Cup, and a squad containing 15 players who played in England or Scotland.

The Three Lions went on to exit the tournament at the quarter-final stage, losing to Portugal on penalties, while Trinidad and Tobago finished bottom of the group.

However, Sancho, who was then at Gillingham, has not rued what might have been and is proud to have been part of the first Trinidad and Tobago squad to play at the World Cup.

"I remember the game very vividly - holding off the English for 82 minutes until Peter scored that infamous goal," the 38-year-old added.

"Those things are part of football. I hold no animosities towards Peter - I think he is an absolutely fabulous player.

"It was such a brilliant fight from the guys. We really held our own and we walked out of that game being able to hold our heads up high.

"The performance against England, as a Trinbagonian and one of the 11 participants on the field, is something we can always look back at as something that was truly magnificent.

"We have struggled with our crime rate here in Trinidad and during games in the World Cup, crime went to practically zero. It is a testament to sports and what sports can do."

Sancho has not followed a traditional path since retiring from playing. Rather than go into coaching, management or punditry, the giant defender is now Minister for Sport in the government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.

"It is a lot different walking the streets of Gillingham to the offices of the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago," he said.

"It is a bit of a change but at the same point in time it is such a great achievement to be able to continue to represent my country.

"I got involved in the administration side of football when I finished playing. Politics was nowhere near my agenda.

"I don't view myself as a politician. I view myself as a sportsman with a task of implementing and changing the projection of sports in this country.

"I am very proud of being part of this government. I think the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago has done a tremendous job in putting sports at the front and changing the scope of sports in this country.

"That was one of the things that really attracted me to the job."

Sancho believes his playing career in Britain - including spells at Dundee and Ross County - has played its part in his move into politics.

"My life experiences in the UK in general, living in Scotland and Maidstone and playing for Gillingham, has contributed heavily towards who I am now," he said.

"Being able to meet various people, living in the English culture and being part of the professional set-up in England has paved the way for me, in terms of where I am now.

"It is a lot different to being here on the island. The professionalism, mentality and work ethic of the English and the Americans has really sculpted me as an individual.

"It has probably put me on the platform for this new career I am just starting in."

VIDEO: - World Cup 2006 England Trinidad and Tobago Match Highlights

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 10:07:21 AM »
How come I doh hate Peter Crouch. Honestly speaking, I might have done the same thing if I was in his position.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
How come I doh hate Peter Crouch. Honestly speaking, I might have done the same thing if I was in his position.
nah..I  cyah face Crouch..how come all the women have long hair, and none them get a twist neck yet.  >:(
cause he's a nasty, cheating biiiaaattcchh    :D

1]; } ?>