April 26, 2024, 06:58:18 AM

Author Topic: The "Controversial" Justin Gatlin Thread  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
The "Controversial" Justin Gatlin Thread
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:05 AM »
Gatlin: 'Meet Organizers Kicked me Out'
Tuesday, 19 May 2015 (WatchAthletics.com)

American sprinter Justin Gatlin, who has served two terms for doping, says that the meet organizers kicked him him out of tomorrow's IAAF Beijing world challenge with no explanation.

"They didn't have any respect for me so they said 'you better leave' and they kicked me out. It makes no sense."Gatlin said.

Justin Gatlin departed from Beijing on Tuesday with out any serious explanations from meet organizers after several requests by athletes manager.

"I thought I was competing. I ran the fastest time by anyone since 2012 in Doha and my body was a little whacked. I had respect for the organisers telling them that I felt dehydrated but they didn't have any respect for me."

"It's crazy. I have no idea what they were thinking. I think they thought I wasn't man enough and I might pull up in the race, or not finish it and then still ask for money." Gatlin added.

Renaldo Nehemiah, the athletes manager, denied that organizers did not accept Gatlin into the meet because of his controversial past.

"No, it has nothing to do with that. No, this is because they think he is injured and they don't want him here if he's injured."

Gatlin, who has been banned for anabolic steroids twice in the past, set his personal best mark and world leading time of 9.74 in Doha on Saturday. He was also part of his countries 4x100m relay team that defeated Jamaica and Usain Bolt to win World Relays gold in Bahamas two weeks ago.

The American sprinter is also one of the main contenders to win gold in 100m and 200m at this year's world track and field championships in Beijing in August.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:24:39 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Gatlin flies home claiming Beijing organisers do not want him
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
Justin Gatlin flies home claiming
Beijing organisers do not want him

Tuesday 19 May 2015 09.24 BST (TheGuardian.com)

• Sprinter ‘upset’ by lack of respect before World Challenge meeting
• Athlete had just run fastest 100m of his life in Doha

Justin Gatlin celebrates after winning the 100m in 9.74sec in Doha. Photograph: Stringer/EPA

The sprinter Justin Gatlin was involved in a new row on Tuesday when he flew home on the eve of the Beijing World Challenge meeting, claiming organisers had told him they did not want him to compete.

The American, who has served two doping bans, one subsequently overturned, but is currently the world’s fastest man, said he had planned to run as the headline 100m draw in Wednesday’s meeting despite slight injury concerns but was told he was not wanted.

Gatlin, who had run the fastest 100m of his life and the quickest in the world this year at 9.74sec in Doha on Friday, said as he left for the airport to fly home to Florida that he was “upset” by the lack of respect shown to him.

Nobody from the meeting organisers was available to respond to the 33-year-old Gatlin’s comments.

Gatlin, who had flown from Doha straight to Beijing on Saturday, said he had initially told organisers that he had suffered cramping in a tight hamstring and dehydration following the flight and was not sure about his fitness to compete.

But after coming through a training session on Monday, he felt confident he would be fit to compete at a meeting where he has starred before.

“I was happy to stay. I’m fit and ready to run. I was cramping a lot after the fastest my body has ever run,” Gatlin said. “They didn’t have any respect for me so they said: ‘You better leave,’ and they kicked me out.”

Gatlin’s manager Renaldo Nehemiah showed Reuters a text message from an organisers’ representative sent to him on Monday, saying that the local organising committee felt Gatlin should leave.

Nehemiah claimed organisers had made Gatlin and his team pay all their flight and hotel costs, amounting to about $12,000 (£7,600). “It’s been costly,” he said.

The sprinter, who has become a polarising figure in the sport after his drug bans, was clearly bewildered and angry as he left for Beijing airport with his physiotherapist.

“I thought I was competing. I ran the fastest time by anyone since 2012 in Doha and my body was a little whacked. I had respect for the organisers telling them that I felt dehydrated but they didn’t have any respect for me,” he added.

“It’s crazy. I have no idea what they were thinking. I think they thought I wasn’t man enough and I might pull up in the race, or not finish it and then still ask for money.

“But I’m not a man like that. I’m not the kind of guy to cheat people of their money or let the fans down ... that’s not what I do.”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:03:29 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Gatlin gets faster with age but trust fails to keep pace
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
Justin Gatlin gets faster with age
but trust fails to keep pace

By Sean Ingle
Sunday 17 May 2015 22.00 BST (TheGuardian.com)

American sprinter is defying biology and history by running a personal best aged 33 and doubts about his performances will not go away

Justin Gatlin won’t apologise for his past offences. He believes he has done nothing wrong. Photograph: David Humphries

Moments after pulverising a high-class field in Doha, Justin Gatlin turned his fingers into pistols and smiled as he pretended to shoot at the TV cameras. “I wanted to make a statement to the world,” he said. Whatever you think of the American, it was hard to argue and it was also some statement. At 33, Gatlin had run 100m in 9.74sec, not only a personal best but the joint-ninth fastest time in history. And in May, when most athletes are still shaking off the last of their spring rust.

A few hours earlier Sebastian Coe, who is hoping to become the IAAF’s president, had made a stiffer, more formal statement in Doha. Athletics, he warned, needed to restructure its calendar and improve how it presented itself to become more compelling. He was right. But the reaction to Gatlin’s victory suggests the sport faces a more pressing issue: one of trust.

On Twitter Jo Pavey reckoned it was “terrible to have such a bad role model leading an event” while the British 400m runner Conrad Williams suggested: “The only legal thing about Gatlin’s win is the +0.9 wind.”

Can you imagine such a reaction from top tennis stars after watching a fellow player hit a miraculous scrambling winner? Or in football, following a weaving run past half a dozen opponents? Of course that is partly because we know more about cheating in athletics – its drug testing, while imperfect, is better than in most sports. But with Gatlin, the 2004 Olympic 100m champion who was banned for doping from 2006-10, the doubts are sounded so frequently they become almost like a form of tinnitus.

Is Gatlin doping? That is the question so many ask but few can answer. But we can certainly say this – he is defying biology and history. Sprinters are supposed to peak in their mid- to late-20s. Of the seven athletes who have run 9.80 or quicker Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake ran their fastest 100m aged 22, Asafa Powell and Nesta Carter were 25. Tyson Gay 27. Steve Mullings 28. Yet Gatlin looks stronger and faster than ever.

Ross Tucker, the professor of exercise physiology at University of the Free State in South Africa, puts it this way: “Gatlin has a peculiar longevity. Even if he hadn’t doped we would be still be saying his recent times were unusual. Say doping is worth 2% to performance – and that is a conservative estimate. Then factor in being six years away from his peak, which is another couple of percent off his very best. Yet he has still found a way to improve.”

Some of those I have spoken to in the sport, especially in the US, are prepared to believe in Gatlin. They point out he has passed every test since his return, that his technique and biomechanics have improved along with his nutrition. And that fast times in a person’s 30s are not unprecedented. After all, Bruny Surin and Powell ran 9.84 at 32 while Linford Christie set his personal best of 9.87 at 33. And Gatlin insists he is clean.

His agent, Renaldo Nehemiah, told me last year: “No matter what he says, there will be doubters. That’s the world we live in. Wada and Usada have full access to him whenever they choose to test him. Aside from that, there’s nothing more he can do. He’ll never please or satisfy everyone. All of the other distractions, critics and haters, will always be there. He can only account for himself.”

It is the case that – as David Epstein, the author of The Sports Gene, points out – the “expiration” age of athletes is a little higher than thought. “I recently saw research into the bone density in Cirque du Soleil performers and it completely defies the medical expectation of decline starting in the 30s,” he says. “In fact it wasn’t declining for some of the performers in their 50s. And Michael Johnson set the 400m world record just short of his 32nd birthday.”

That said, Epstein believes that on the balance of probabilities Gatlin could potentially be benefiting from his past drug use. He cites two studies, including one by a team of Swedish researchers in 2006 that examined the impact of anabolic steroid use on powerlifters years after they had ceased taking drugs. It found that while physical traces of the drug no longer remained, changes in their shoulders and quadriceps still gave those lifters an advantage.

But what is to be done? Life bans have been tried. Because of legal issues they didn’t work. It hardly inspires confidence when Gatlin works with Dennis Mitchell, who was banned in 1998 after a test found high testosterone levels in his body. His defence? That he had “five bottles of beer and sex with his wife at least four times – it was her birthday, the lady deserved a treat”. Or that Gatlin remains so unrepentant about his past.

At the world relays earlier this month Tyson Gay, another doper, said: “I ask for forgiveness for a mistake.” Gatlin, though, won’t apologise. He believes he has done nothing wrong. Because his first offence – caused by medicine for attention-deficit disorder which he had been taking since the age of eight – was overturned. And the excessive testosterone in his system which led to a ban in 2006 was put there, without his knowledge, by a masseuse.

But every time Gatlin runs so quickly he asks everyone to make a leap of faith. To believe that he is faster than ever at 33 while also being drug-free. Given his past, he can have few qualms if so many people prefer to stay rooted to the spot.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:28:15 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Gatlin reacts angrily to claims he is still being boosted by illegal drugs
Monday 01 June 2015 (Telegraph.co.uk)

Disgraced US sprinter denies scientific research that says taking steroids could have long-term benefits to athletes.

Justin Gatlin has reacted angrily to claims he is still being boosted by illegal drugs Photo: EPA

Justin Gatlin, a two-time convicted drugs cheat, has hit out at suggestions that his past steroid use could still be boosting his performance 10 years after he tested positive.

Research conducted by the University of Oslo has claimed experiments on mice show a brief exposure to testosterone allows the rodent to rapidly regain muscle later in their lives.

• Nike criticised for Gatling sponsorship

Gatlin was banned for four years after testing positive for an anabolic steroid in 2006 - the second doping offence of his career after earlier testing positive for amphetamines.

He returned to win 100m bronze at the London Olympics and, at the age of 33, continues to get faster, most recently opening his season with a personal best 9.74sec to extend his unbeaten streak to 19 races.

Justin Gatlin Talks Usain Bolt and His Drug Suspension Before 2015 Pre Classic
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2lWtF6uLnMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2lWtF6uLnMc</a>
Justin Gatlin was angered by questions over his drugs past

When asked whether his past misdemeanours could be aiding his performance, he replied: “I think it’s ridiculous.

“My situation was 2006 – that was a decade ago. They need to go and see what is happening in the medical world, don’t come to me with that.

“A lot of people have been in the same situation I have been in. I’m not sure why you would match a laboratory mouse to a human being, that’s unfathomable to me.”

Gatlin has always denied knowingly taking the banned substance, insisting at the time that massage therapist Christopher Whetstine rubbed testosterone cream onto his back without his knowledge – a claim that Whetstine denies.

• Gatlin threatens the whole of athletics - not just Bolt

Speaking on the eve of the Pre Classic in Eugene, where he will run the 200m, Gatlin reacted strongly when pressed on the subject of his claims of sabotage.

Asked if he would admit to taking performance enhancing drugs, he replied: “There is no admitting to it. If you are a history major you can go back in the archives and read those articles.”

Increasingly angry as the questioning continued, Gatlin insisted his story was correct.

“Why do I need to change it,” he asked. “Why are you asking these questions that happened a decade ago?”
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:22:08 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Should we lock Gatlin up and throw away the key?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
Should we lock Gatlin up and throw away the key?
By Louis Ritchie
June 3rd, 2015 1:41pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay, viewed by some as poster boys for drug cheats!

There have been lots of stones and rocks being thrown at Justin Gatlin, and Tyson Gay.  I honestly think that some track fans feel like they should be locked up and the keys thrown away!   My question to the Gatlin and Gay haters is; “for the sake of Track and Field, are you ever going to move on, and let my people go”?

The reason I say people, is there’s been so many athletes banned at one time or another for having illegal drugs in their system,  so why do some track and field fans, continue to make Tyson Gay and Justin Gatlin, the poster boys for illegal drug use? It’s got to the point now, that to me; it’s like beating a dead horse!  I don’t care if an athlete had been banned for 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, or a lifetime, some fan’s  continue to  bring the sport of Track and Field down  to new lows, with the constant badgering of certain athletes they don’t like, with the drug ban issue!

Some fans say Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay should be banned for life, like Steve Mullings. I really don’t understand why some people may get lifetime bans and other people only get 6 months or one year! The one thing I do know, is in most cases, there is a panel of judges that usually decides one’s fate when it comes to PED use, after the athletes pleads their cases. Maybe some athletes are better salesmen, than other athletes, and a panel of judges’ rulings are more favorable towards the athlete that tells the best lie or story!

I’m like most fans, I don’t sit on these panels, so I don’t totally understand the reason some people get off with a light sentence, like a 6 month ban and some get the hammer thrown at them with a lifetime ban! I do understand why you have to judge these athletes on a case by case basis and not have a lifetime ban on all athletes. Could you imagine, all the athletes that had a banned substance in their body, getting a lifetime ban? There would be no, Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay, Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce, (Fraser Pryce had taken a banned substance contained in pain medication for a tooth ache) Veronica Campbell Brown, Sherone Simpson, Merlene Ottey, Linford Christie, Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis, (He had inadvertently taken a banned over the counter herbal remedy) Amantle Montsho, LaShawn Merritt, etc.

I know some athletes had their cases thrown out after originally being banned, by a panel of judges, but were the judges right? Maybe, or maybe not, I really don’t know, and to be honest with you, I don’t care anymore; I just want the sport of track and field to move on! Now, some people say no athlete should be performing better in their 30’s, unless they’re on some kind of drugs. Bottom line, nobody knows at what age an athlete will reach his or her peak! Marlene Ottey, ran her fastest time ever in the 200 meters (21.64) at age (31) and also clocked a (10.74) 100 meter at age 36 and would have won the 2012 Olympic over Allyson Felix’s time of (21.88)! Bernard Lagat, broke the American record in the 1500, 3000, and 5000 meters while he was in his 30’s.  Linford Christie won the gold medal in the 100 meter dash, in the 1992 Olympic’s at the ripe old age of 32 and ran his personal best of 9.87 at the age of 33.

Veronica Campbell Brown at age 33 said in a recent interview, that her best days are ahead of her. Does that mean she plans to break her personal best of 21.74 in the 200 meters and 10.76 in the 100 meters, even though she’ll be 34 years old on May 15th of 2016? Until we can prove something, we’ll have to give all these athletes the benefit of the doubt.

**The views expressed in this article are those of the author (Louis Ritchie) and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, TrackAlerts.Com
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:51:50 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gatling breaks Bolt's record, eyes 9.6
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »
Gatling breaks Bolt's record, eyes 9.6
By Gary Smith, TrackAlerts.Com Contributor
June 5th, 2015 8:50am (TrackAlerts.com)

Justin Gatlin aiming to challenge Bolt this summer.

ROMA — American sprinter Justin Gatlin is confident of running in the 9.60 seconds for the 100m this summer.

Gatlin blasted his way to a meeting record en route to winning the men’s 100m at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Rome on Thursday and 2004 Olympic champion believes things are certainly coming together.

The 33-year-old, who leads the world with a swift 9.74 seconds, wasn’t too far from his world-leading mark after posting 9.75secs to improve Usain Bolt’s previous meeting mark of 9.76secs, set in 2012.

“I have had a couple of very good races, couple of 100s and 200s and I feel confident running times around 9.70s,” the American said after his win.

“This meeting is like the end of the first part of the season and now I am heading home and after the trials i’ll have a month to train and to spend time with my son and my family.”

Gatlin stated that his focus right now is just to stay injury free before the American championships, adding that beating world record holder Bolt isn’t on his agenda at the moment.

“I don’t think of beating Usain Bolt now because the championship is not tomorrow, we still have some time to come.

“I am glad I had a good start and managed to execute the first 60m to be confident with the victory. 9.60 should be possible in the summer.”

The American, who now owns the two fastest times in the world this season, finished ahead of Jimmy Vicaut of France and USA’s Mike Rodgers, who both clocked 9.98secs.

Gatlin has been in the form of his life this season and entered the Rome Diamond League meeting on the back of a world-leading 19.68 mark in Eugene, over the weekend.

Earlier, American Johnny Dutch won the men’s 400m hurdles in a seasonal best time of 48.13 — adding to his Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting victory on Saturday.

He held off his countryman Michael Tinsley, who ran home in a season’s best of 48.34 and Puerto Rico’s Javier Culson 48.65.

Dutch says he is ready for the American trials.

“The key to win the races is consistency and hard work,” he said. “I feel very prepared, just need to work on some specifics before the US trials.”
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:53:30 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BARRED!! Gatlin can't win IAAF Athlete of the Year Award
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »
BARRED!! Gatlin can't win IAAF Athlete of the Year Award
July 13th, 2015 11:25pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Justin Gatlin unbeaten in 2014 & so far in 2015

Justin Gatlin cannot win the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Athlete of the Year Award.

IAAF spokesman Nick Davies told Reuters that the world’s governing body for track and field made changes to this year’s selection criteria.

Under the new criteria, any athlete who has been sanction for serious doping offence is ineligible to be shortlisted for the award.

Gatlin was banned for four years after a positive test in 2006.

According to the Reuters story, which quoted Davies, "the majority of Council Members who took the floor supported this recommendation because it enhanced the credibility of the sport, it protected the rights of clean athletes and it assisted in further establishing inappropriate behavior in the sport that would not be honored by the IAAF in the future."

In 2014, Gatlin the fastest man for the past two seasons was nominated for Athlete of the Year. He, however, failed to make the top three.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The "Controversial" Justin Gatlin Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Check out Gatlin in training.

Maybe this Vertimax Speed training system is what is helping him to have such an explosive start that allows him to seperate from his competitors after just the first 10m to 15m of his races.

Justin Gatlin Speed Training with VertiMax
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gCahr18qB6E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gCahr18qB6E</a>

Olympic Gold Medalist Justin Gatlin gives his views on why he trains with the http://www.vertimax.com/ V8 training system, designed to increase top end speed and acceleration. The V8 system is the only resisted sprint training system capable of loading the "Drive Phase" and "Recovery Phase" simultaneously for optimal high velocity power development in all muscles groups that drive the sprinter when their drive leg is planted on the ground AND when their foot breaks contact with the ground entering the "Recovery Phase" of running.

The ability to attach resistance bands behind the knees or to the feet allow the V8 to uniquely develop power in the hip flexor muscles when sprinting to decrease the cycle time of the "Recovery Phase". The revolutionary design of the VertiMax V8 enables a relatively non-varying elastic load on the athlete's hands and legs in both the "Drive" and "Recovery" Phases for over 30 feet. For the first time, sprinters can conduct full speed starts and accelerate loading all major muscle groups involved in running without resistance radically increasing in mid stride.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:10:04 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 09:37:23 PM »

Call him Controversial, Call him whatever! The fact is right now he is the man to beat. Him being not a Caribbean athlete just add salt to the wounds of many Caribbean track fans

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 06:33:52 AM »
Sando, I beg to differ. He is controversial because he is an American who got away with the rules. He brought this on himself.  So he should be ready to take the poison darts thrown at him. He may well win Rio. But the proverbial question marks and asterisks will always be present.
Now, I tend not to believe any athlete, admin. or govt officials about athletes taking or using drugs. We don't really know the behind the scences of the TF world. After the KAB issue, I lost trust in TF. I follow it fervently. But when  it comes to the senior TF, I am very weary.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gatlin tested 59 times since return
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Gatlin tested 59 times since return
22 July 2015, 20:56 (SuperSport.com)

Justin Gatlin

Justin Gatlin, the 2004 Olympic 100m gold medallist who was suspended between 2006-10 after failing a second drugs test but is currently dominating the world of sprinting, has been tested 59 times by the US anti-doping agency (USADA) since his return.

According to USADA figures released on Wednesday, Gatlin has already been tested nine times this season. In 2014, there were 15 tests, 14 in 2013, 13 in 2012 and eight in 2011. The tests were conducted both in and out of competition.

At the age of 33, Gatlin has this season set new personal records in both the 100m (9.74sec) and 200m (19.57sec), establishing himself as the favourite to usurp Jamaican star Usain Bolt at next month's World Championships in Beijing.

USADA did not specify whether the tests carried out on Gatlin involved urine or blood, and did not give any of the results, with the American not having been subject to any procedures.

After his suspension for use of testosterone, cut to four years from eight following cooperation with USADA, Gatlin officially returned to competition on August 3, 2010, with no testing carried out that season.

The 2005 double world sprint champion returned to win the 2012 world 60m indoor title, Olympic bronze at the London Games and a world silver in Moscow a year later.

It is not just USADA that conducts testing, Gatlin also subject to exams by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada), national anti-doping bodies at international events, and even track and field's governing body, the IAAF.

Before the London Olympics, every athlete underwent pre-competition blood testing.

© AFP
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:42:55 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>