March 28, 2024, 04:13:31 AM

Author Topic: 17th Pan American Games 2015: Fri.10th to Sun.26th July (CIBC Stadium, Toronto)  (Read 42656 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
More Sports for the next 2 weeks. Yessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anybody watching the opening ceremonies tonight?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anybody watching the opening ceremonies tonight?
Didn't see it but I heard we came out dancing, we showed them how to have a good time  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Bonkowsky first T&T athlete in action at Pan Am Games
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 01:04:55 AM »
Bonkowsky first T&T athlete in action at Pan Am Games
Published on Jul 10, 2015, 8:45 pm AST (T&T Express)

Nicholas Bonkowsky will kick off Trinidad and Tobago’s (T&T) bid for precious metal at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada, when he squares off against the USA’s Satta Pongnairat in a round of 32 match-up in men’s singles badminton action at 12.30 p.m. today. Bonkowsky’s bid will be followed by T&T’s women footballers who open their campaign with a 2.05 p.m. match against Argentina.

And shooter Roger Daniel swings into action tomorrow when he lines up for the qualification event in the men’s 10m Air Pistol, which shoots off at 9 a.m. The final of this event is schedule for later in the afternoon at 1.00 p.m.

On Monday, Anthony Maharaj will be in the fray in the men’s Trap at 9 a.m. while the men’s football team will have their opening fixture against South Americans Uruguay at 5.35 p.m. at the CIBC Hamilton Soccer Stadium. Also in action on Monday is the national men’s beach volleyball team who will face preliminary round action against Puerto Rico at the Chevrolet Beach Volleyball Centre at 11.05 p.m. And on Tuesday, the national men’s hockey unit has a 9 a.m. date with Argentina at the Pan Am/Parapan Am Fields while the women beach volleyballers are also set to do battle against Argentina at 10.05 a.m.

Track and field action is scheduled to begin next Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:11:47 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bonkowsky to compete at Pan Am Games
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 01:15:20 AM »
Bonkowsky to compete at Pan Am Games
Published: Saturday, July 11, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

T&T badminton Pan Am Games representatives
Nicholas Bonkowsky, left, and manager Ronald Clarke.

National badminton men’s singles 2015 champion Nicholas Bonkowsky is the lone representative at this year’s Pan American Games for the sport of badminton.

The Pan Am Games are currently underway in Toronto, Canada and the discipline of badminton is being held from today until Thursday. Bonkowsky hits the court today at 12.30 pm. Bonkowsky regularly plays on the international badminton circuit, however, it is his first time representing T&T at an Olympic event. He stated that he was very excited about this opportunity and wanted nothing but to make T&T proud of his performance.”

Bonkowsky is being accompanied by manager and former top national badminton athlete Ronald Clarke. Clarke has also represented the country at the Pan American level as well as at the Commonwealth Games in the past and has most recently managed the 2014 national team at the Central American and Caribbean Games (CAC) in Vera Cruz, Mexico.

The local badminton association is also being represented at the games, as the T&T Badminton Association Club Caucus representative and board member Wendell La Bastide, is the Assistant Chef de Mission for the T&T delegation at the Pan Am Games.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:50:50 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Women Warriors face Argentina in Pan Am opener
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »
Women Warriors face Argentina in Pan Am opener
By Sean Taylor (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 11, 2015, 12:01 am AST

READY: T&T senior women players Janine Francois left, and Lauryn Hutchinson right,
pose with Brazilian Priscilla Selau after their friendly match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium
in Port of Spain on June 30.

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior women footballers will face Argentina today in their opening match at the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada. Despite almost missing the competition, the team will have high hopes considering their preparation for the tournament.

The players have been active in the past month preparing for Toronto, while participating in the inaugural Women's Premier League at home. Apart from league action with their franchise teams, the "Women Warriors" have also warmed up against South American opposition with the Pan Am Games in mind.

They won 2-0 against a South American select team at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on June 30 in a match arranged by The Brazil Link (TBL) Sport Management Company in order to prepare them for the opposition in the group stages of the Games.

Both goals came either side of the half from Kennya "Yaya" Cordner and goal-poacher Mariah Shade. The South Americans were made up of players from Colombia, Brazil and Venezuela and coached by Dede, the Brazilian assistant coach of WPL team CNGC Rush.

Sheldon Phillips and Ross Russell saw it as the ideal opportunity to prepare the local women especially considering the limited resources of the Federation. TBL were also able to transport the players and supporters and organise the match officials’ fees.

Coach Dede has wished his players Janine Francois, Ahkeela Mollon and Mariah Shade all the best and success at the tournament. T&T open their account against Argentina today at the Hamilton Pan Am Soccer Stadium in Toronto from 2.05 p.m.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:46:42 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TT Women face Argentina in Pan Am opener
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 01:51:34 AM »
TT Women face Argentina in Pan Am opener
Saturday, July 11 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago senior women’s football team will kick off their Pan American Games campaign today when they face Argentina in the preliminary stages of the tournament. The match will take place at the CIBC Hamilton Pan Am Soccer Stadium in Ontario.

The female Soca Warriors completed their final preparations for the tournament on local soil last week (June 30), defeating a South American select XI 2-0 in the their closing warm-up match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. A goal in each half from striker Kenya ‘Yaya’ Cordner and Mariah Shade was good enough for the Women Warriors to hold off the skill-filled South American unit. The meeting was arranged by Brazil Link Sport Management as a means to better prepare the team for the matches they will play during the group stages at the Pan Am Games. The South American team was made up of players from Colombia, Brazil and Venezuela and were coached by Dede, the Brazilian assistant coach of Women’s Premier League (WPL) team CNGC Rush.

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association general secretary, Sheldon Phillips, and current Women Soca Warriors coach, Ross Russell, saw it as the ideal opportunity to prepare the girls, especially given the limited resources of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association. TBL Sports took care of transport for the players and supporters, the match official fees and the coordinating the match itself. The National Under-20 team has already asked about a possible match with the South Americans in the upcoming week. Coach Dede also wished his Rush players Janine Francois, Ahkeela Mollon and Mariah Shade all the best and success on the tournament. Players such as Priscilla Selau (Rush) and Thais Amorim (Dragons) also sent best wishes to their club teammates. Today’s game against Argentina kicks off at 2.05 pm.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:45:57 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Varun bent on Pan Am excellence
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 08:27:49 AM »
Varun bent on Pan Am excellence
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Saturday, July 11 2015 (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL ENDURANCE cyclist Varun Maharajh is goal-bound on achieving a podium place in the Men’s Omnium and/or Scratch Race events at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, in an effort to bolster his chances of attaining a spot at the coming International Cycling Union (UCI) World Cups, and ultimately, the 2016 Olympic Games.

Maharajh flew from his current Pennsylvania base in the US en route to Toronto yesterday, where he met up with national cycling teammates Njisane Phillip, Emile Abraham, Jude Codrington, Quincy Alexander and Justin Roberts. He will also be the first T&T two-wheeler to begin competition on July 16, before the sprinters head out on the tracks the following day.

“I’ve been training hard ahead of the Pan Am Games and Pan Am Championships and hopefully the World Cups,” said Maharajh yesterday. “Right now, I have a pretty decent eligibility ranking at number 23.

“I must ensure to do well in both Pan Am events because good performances here will help push me up into the top 20. This will ultimately qualify me for World Cups and gain some Olympic points towards qualification.”

The Rigtech Sonics rider has been in Pennsylvania for the past three weeks competing on the local circuit at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center in Trexlertown.

Maharajh admitted that after returning to TT some months ago, he may have dropped some form on the bike. However, the past three weeks in the US have been good to the endurance cyclist, and he is determined to make a lasting impression at the Pan Am Games which kick off today.

“I returned to Trinidad earlier in the year and may have slipped up a bit, but I have been working on my legs a lot and they’re getting faster as the days go by,” he added.

“My focus right now is World Cups and attaining Olympic points. After the Pan Am Games, I’m heading back to train with my coach Neal Henderson in Colorado. It is there (Colorado), that I will put all my attention towards the Championships, and I feel confident that I have enough time to better my game by the time the tourney comes around in September.”

The 23-year old also admitted that being Henderson’s only TT recruit, it’s sometimes tough to train by himself.

“It’s hard to stay motivated sometimes. But just the thought of standing on top of the podium keeps me going,” he said. “Its something I’m working towards for a long time now.

I’m confident I’ll get there once I keep working at it. I know what it is I have to do. I know what I have to focus on and how hard it is I have to train.

I know what I’m going into and how dedicated I have to be. I’ll make it happen.”

In conclusion, the El Dorado Secondary School graduate heaped praises on the Ministry of Sport and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SporTT) for financially assisting his growth as an athlete.

Recently, he was awarded monies from the Elite Athlete Assistance Programme, which he is using for his overall career development.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:44:48 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Team Electrifies Rodgers Arena during Pan Am Games Opening Ceremony
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Team Electrifies Rodgers Arena during Pan Am Games Opening Ceremony
Saturday, 11 July 2015 06:33 (TTOC.org)

JUL 10TH 2015: Photo: T&T Gymnist William Albert (second form left) and Marisa Dick wave at the crowds during the precession of the flags at the Opening Ceremnoy of the Toronto 2015 Pan-American Games at Rogers Stadium, Toronto. Allan V. Crane/TTOC

July 11th, Toronto, Canada – Trinidad and Tobago brought the warmth of our islands and joy to the opening ceremony of the 17th Pan American Games. While following the team’s entrance on TV, Soca artiste Fay-Ann Lyons tweeted, “Leave it to Trinidad and Tobago to make the best entrance…See men jumping like is fete!!! #GoTnT.”

Lyons couldn’t have known that the feting had started since the team began lining up in the tunnel. Chanting “Sweet, Sweet T&T, Oh how I love up meh country,” and the chorus for the Soca Warriors chant, Trinidad and Tobago was locked in a sound clash with Uruguay to see which nation would be louder. When a video of the team jumping, waving and chanting emerged on social media, Julie Wright, a Canadian remarked “I SERIOUSLY want to hang out with these guys! #PanAM2015.”

The festive atmosphere and the excitement did not however diminish the importance of the occasion for members of the team. Marlon Moses, a member of the shooting team said, “It’s a huge honour to represent your country at this level. Some may not take it to heart, but I take this really seriously.” Swimmer Christian Marsden who at 16 is one of the youngest members of the team echoed his sentiments.

Following the parade of national teams, Cirque du Soleil enchanted everyone in attendance with gravity defying acrobatics, dances to pulsating rhythms reflecting the Pan American region, flying somersaults, BMX riders and fire.

CEO of the Organizing Committee, Saäd Rafi, then urged the athletes to embody the values of the Pan Am Games before the games were officially declared open saying, “To be an athlete is to believe in the power of possibility…to try is worthy, to be hopeful is right and to be idealistic is wise.”

Trinidad and Tobago begins its medal hunt at the games on Saturday with men’s Badminton and Women’s football.

Trinidad and Tobago at Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games Opening Ceremony
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Xb7NdpQ_bKs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Xb7NdpQ_bKs</a>

Pan American Games Toronto 2015 Opening Ceremony Full Event
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-IaujXtkUt4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-IaujXtkUt4</a>
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:52:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Kicks off Pan Am Games Medal Hunt in Badminton and Women’s Football
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Kicks off Pan Am Games Medal Hunt in Badminton and Women’s Football
Saturday, 11 July 2015 06:41 (TTOC.org)

T&T Women Soca Warriors Captain in action

July 10th, 2015, Toronto, Canada – Trinidad and Tobago will kick off its medal hunt at the 2015 Pan AM games today Saturday July 11th with men’s Badminton and Women’s football. National men’s badminton champ Nicolas Bonkowsky will face American, Sattawat Pongnairat, the #4 seed at the Markham Pan AM Centre at 12:30PM, while the women warriors will face Argentina at 2:05PM in their opening game at Hamilton Pan Am Soccer stadium.

Bonkowsky enters this year’s tournament ranked as the reigning national men’s badminton champion, having placed second in both the doubles and mixed doubles event. Writing on his badminton blog, Bonkowsky credits former national badminton champ Anil Seepaul as one of the most influential people in his career, despite defeating the veteran singles player to win his first national title.

While Bonkowsky expects a stern test from the #4 seeded Pongnairat, Manager Ronald Clarke says he remains undaunted and plans to give it his all, as he hopes to one day represent Trinidad and Tobago at the Olympics.

Despite a threatned boycott from the women warriors prior to this year’s games, the team will be keen to do well having just missed out on qualifying for the women’s world cup in December last year. Defender Arin King tweeted early on Friday that “Practice was bess” suggesting the team is in good spirits ahead of tomorrow’s opener.

Prior to the teams departure, Coach Ross Russell was quoted saying, “The confidence level of our girls is high because they want to play these kind of teams.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

T&T Results from today!

http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/general/schedule-and-results-trinidadandtobago.htm

Sat, Jul 11

Discipline   Time   Venue   Event   Information   Status

Badminton   12:30   MAR Court 3   Men's Singles Round of 32, MS8 PONGNAIRAT Sa..2 0 Official                   BONKOWSKY Nic..

Football   14:05   HAM    Women First Round Group A Match 2          Argentina    2 2   Official
                   Trinidad and ..
Video Highlights of game: http://www.tv6tnt.com/news/Women-Warriors-draw-against-Argentina-at-Pan-Am-Games-2015-313899631.html

Game Stats: http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/football/results-women-a-04.htm
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:01:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Skipper the hero ...Attin-Johnson rescues 'Women Warriors' at Pan Am
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »
Skipper the hero
Attin-Johnson rescues 'Women Warriors' at Pan Am

Published on Jul 11, 2015, 8:55 pm AST (T&T Express)

Forward march: A festive Trinidad and Tobago delegation led by Roger Daniel, right, enters
the stadium during the opening ceremony of the 2015 Pan American Games at the Rogers
Centre in Toronto, Canada, on Friday. —Photo: AFP

The festivities may have been on Friday with the opening ceremony, but Trinidad and Tobago's athletes got down to business on the opening day of action in the Pan American Games yesterday in Toronto, Canada.

The national senior women's football team had to rely on Maylee Attin-Johnson, who proved to be their trump card coming off the bench in the second half to help them salvage a 2-2 draw against Argentina. However, Nicholas Bonkowsky could not match those heroics when he stepped onto the court losing to his American opponent in Badminton competition.

Highlight reel courtesy CCN TV6

Click to view: http://www.tv6tnt.com/news/Women-Warriors-draw-against-Argentina-at-Pan-Am-Games-2015-313899631.html

In a pedestrian first half at the Hamilton Pan American Soccer Stadium in Toronto, T&T had the better chances despite only enjoying 43 per cent possession.

Janine Francois, Brianna Ryce and Mariah Shade all had opportunities in the first 20 minutes, but they were unable to find the target. Ahkeela “Lady Latapy” Mollon came closest in the ninth minute however, as she hit the bar with her shot.

The rest of the first period was littered with innocuous fouls, and long passages of play where the ball stayed in the middle of the park. Argentina almost sprung a knockout blow of their own, as they came close to opening the score through their forward, Mariana Larroquette. Goalkeeper Kimika Forbes courageously raced off her line to make her target as small as possible, with Larroquette hitting her side-footed effort straight at Forbes.

But Argentina lit the touch paper 12 minutes into the second half, when Larroquette made amends with a simple tap-in, converting a clinical low cross from the right flank. The T&T defence were caught napping as their centre back pairing of Arin King and Rhea Belgrave did not pick up their marker in time. The “Women Warriors” were fortunate not to go further behind a minute later, as Argentina had a goal disallowed, despite looking marginally onside.

Shade continued her recent good run of form, as she ran onto Mollon's cross, putting the ball high into the net to restore parity. Mollon beat her marker on the right for pace, before putting in the decisive cross.

The match had come alive, and T&T coach Ross Russell, sensing the momentum swinging the way of his charges, brought on Attin-Johnson. The difference was telling, as the midfield engine hummed and created more clear-cut chances.

Kennya “Yaya” Cordner was guilty of missing three of those efforts in three successive minutes, as she forced a save out of Argentine keeper Elisabeth Minnig after beating Florencia Quiñones in the penalty area, dragged a shot wide a minute later, then headed inches wide with her final golden opportunity to put T&T ahead.

The match had a grand finale though, as Attin-Johnson left her mark on a topsy-turvy affair. Argentina had gone ahead once more when Belen Potassa tapped in Fabiana Vallejos' crucial square pass, and were headed toward three points when they conceded a free kick. Mollon's delivery ping-ponged in the six-yard area, and Attin-Johnson made no mistake when the loose ball came her way.

The Women Warriors will next face a stern test against Colombia on Tuesday, a team which includes players who made it to the second round of the Women's World Cup, held in the same host country last month.

The only other T&T national in action on the opening day of competition, was Bonkowsky, who lost 2-0 to his American opponent, Sattawat Pongnairat in men's singles badminton round of 16 action. The 27-year-old lost both sets 21-8, and 21-11 after qualifying with a bye in the round of 32. The result eliminates him from the competition.

T&T shooter Roger Daniel will be action today when he lines up for qualifiers for the men's 10m Air Pistol, which starts at 9 a.m. The final round shoots off at 1 p.m. TT time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:28:40 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Women Warriors Draw with Argentina in Day One of Pan Am Action
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago Women Warriors Draw with Argentina in Day One of Pan Am Action
Sunday, 12 July 2015 07:37 (TTOC.org)

JUL 11TH 2015: T&T Women's Football Team against Argentina at the Toronto 2015 Pan-
American Games. The game ended 2-2. Photo: Allan V. Crane/TTOC

July 11th, Toronto, Canada – In the first official day of competition, the women warriors fought to a well-deserved 2-2 draw against Argentina in their opening match at the Hamilton Soccer Stadium. Argentina drew first blood in the 52nd minute, but Trinidad and Tobago proved up to the challenge with Mariah Shade equalizing in the 59th minute. Shade’s equalizer sent the small but vocal group of fans into ecstasy, chanting “Trinidad we ready for it. We want a goal” while drumming on the backs of their seats.

The chants and cheers seemed to inspire a sense of urgency in the team, with Trinidad and Tobago’s Kennya Cordner coming close to scoring on two occasions. Moments of silence were punctuated with shouts of “Let’s go Trinidad and Tobago, Nice, Well Done and Let’s Go!!”

Argentina regained the lead in the 88th minute but the warriors never wavered, and were rewarded for their industriousness on the ball when substitute Maylee Attin Johnson scored the equalizer. Her goal sparked another wave of loud and raucous celebrations by the Trini fans in attendance, showing a clear understanding the significance of this draw.

Following the game, defender Ayana Russell said “We were going for the win from the start. Unfortunately that didn’t happen, but to come back and equalize in the 90th. I’m very proud of the team. We’re going back to the drawing board and hopefully we get the win in the next game.” Trinidad and Tobago will next face Columbia on Tuesday July 14th.

JUL 11TH 2015: T&T's Nicholas Bonkowsky. Photo: Allan V. Crane/TTOC

In the days other events, national badminton Champ Nicholas Bonkowsky lost his first round match against American #4 seed Sattawat Pongnairat at the Markham Pan Am Centre in straight sets (2-0). While Pongnairat was the more skilful player, Bonkowsky showed great promise with some classy shots in the second set.  Artistic gymnast William Albert, competing on the rings ended the day with a score of 13.050. He is currently ranked 55.

Today Trinidad and Tobago will face competition in the men’s 10m Air Pistol (Roger Daniel), Sailing (Kelly Ann Arrindell and Andrew Lewis), Artistic Gymnastics (Marisa Dick) and Open Water 10K Swimming (Christian Marsden). Marsden is the reigning Carifta Champion, and at 16 is one of the youngest qualifiers for this year’s games.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:42:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lewis: New pay structure to be implemented
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
Lewis: New pay structure to be implemented
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian)
Published: Sunday, July 12, 2015

Brian Lewis, President of Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC)

In light of recent issues raised by the Women’s Soca Warriors with regards to match fees for participation at the Pan American Games with the T&T Football Association (TTFA), T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) president, Brian Lewis says a new structure will be put in place going forward for all sporting bodies.

Last weekend, the national women’s team threatened a boycott of the Pan American Games over the non-agreement of match fees for the tournament, before Minsiter of Sport Brent Sancho stepped in to assist. While no financial agreement was reached between the TTFA, the Women Soca Warriors, and the Ministry of Sport, it was agreed that the team would go to the tournament which begins next week in Canada as planned while the matter will be resolved on their return.

The entire issue was reminiscent of the last December when the Women Soca Warriors left T&T for the Women Concacaf Championship, a qualifier to the just concluded FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada, with US$500. Back then former coach USA’s Randy Waldrum and a few players took to twitter to express their disgust at the situation and it was only then the team received an outpouring of support from locals and foreigners, including the Haitian national women’s team.

Less than a year later, the Maylee Attin-Johnson skippered squad finds itself in another financial issue, this time over match fees for the tournament with the players rumoured to be asking for US$500 a match each.

After being told by persons attached to the team of the situation, Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, a former World Cup defender Sancho said he could not understand what the issues were in terms of match fees and preparation for the Pan Am Games since the TTFA recently received “Gold Cup money” from Concacaf.

“The federation got money from Concacaf for preparation for the Gold Cup and airfare but we (Government) are paying for airfare,” Sancho said. In response, TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips said the Minister may have been mistaken when it came to the figures. “We did not receive $100,000 from Concacaf (for the Gold Cup). We received around $33,000, which did go towards the two Pan Am teams.” He said the association “received an advance” from Concacaf in the absence of Ministry subventions which would have gone toward the Pan American Games.

However, the entire scenario seems to have taken a toll on TTOC boss Lewis, who is already in Canada as he tweeted on Tuesday after via his @briaclew account: “There is a reason for the TTOC having a policy in respect of per diems.” He then added: “What can I say. No one had the decency to ask @TTOC anything.”

A few tweets later, Lewis tweeted: “I sweer sometimes I just want to buss a cuss. is bacchanal after bacchanal. Never ending. Jeezzz. Distracting from whats important. “Everytime you feel you making progress. Craziness and its six steps back. And we want to know why corporate T&T reluctant to support sport.”

Contacted via email, Lewis said, “The TTOC policy and our focus is on game-related, performance-based medal bonuses and while we can’t sustainably pay stipends per diems or match fees, teams and athletes, coaches and medical staff all comply and understand this. With regards to the dispute between the TTFA and the Women Soca Warriors, Lewis said the TTOC was not consulted by TTFA and therefore was not in a position to make an informed statement.

He said, “The TTOC has always understood that its responsible for all its team members not just any one group and the TTFA is not in a position to make a credible and informed statement on a TTOC policy.” In terms of the entire T&T contingent at the Pan American Games, Lewis said the TTOC is undertaking significant efforts along with its corporate partners to provide athletes with the required welfare and preparation support.

However, in doing so the TTOC is mindful of the strategic importance to be fiscally responsible so as to not place the organisation in a compromised financial situation. “Our policy is not to depend on or place an entitlement demand on the Government,” he said. “Any request that is made to Government is only for travel funding assistance and the TTOC does not make requests of government for administrative funding support.”

Asked if he saw an issue with sporting organisations giving their athletes additional stipends for games under the TTOC, Lewis said local Olympic body maintains that all its member affiliates comply with its games related policies, as the TTOC and games organisers cover travel accommodation and meals during multi-sport games under the auspices of the TTOC.

Pressed further to clarify whether the TTOC need to give approval for sporting organisations to supplement athletes' stipends, Lewis reiterated that all Games related decisions are the purview of the TTOC. He said persons should note and be reminded the TTOC policy on stipends, per diems and match fees and the fact that for the first time the local Olympic Committee will have performance based medal bonuses.

“We are always mindful of athlete welfare issues, and have had discussions in relation to loss of income issues, however loss of income supplementation requires significant funding resources if it is to be sustained. “In the past and at the current time, loss of income supplementation or replacement cannot be funded or supported by the TTOC.

“The T&TOC under the Olympic Charter has sole and exclusive authority for the multi-sport events under the auspices of the International Olympic Committee. “These are Summer Olympic Games, Winter Olympic Games, Youth Olympics, Winter Games, Commonwealth Games,  Youth Commonwealth Games, Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games and the Pan American Games.

“The T&TOC therefore will only focus on events falling under its jurisdiction and given recent developments, I believe our Olympic Committee will require in the future, that all team members and organisations sign in advance a participation agreement.”
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:51:35 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Six athletes to be cut from T&T's Pan Am Games athletic delegation
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2015, 10:18:35 PM »
Six athletes to be cut from T&T's Pan Am Games athletic delegation
By Clayton Clarke, TrackAlerts.Com Writer
July 12th, 2015 1:08pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Trinidad and Tobago’s Pan American Games track and field contingent, is set to be reduced by six athletes following efforts by the Games organizers to limit the numbers of track and field competitors to 680.

The identity of the athletes, set to be affected, is not yet known, but T&T’s track and field team manager, George Comissiong confirmed the cut request on Saturday, as the organizers issued revised qualifying standards, even before the National Open Championships held on June 26-28.

Comissiong said the six athletes identified were ones who would not have met the standards in their event in the revised qualifying marks, issued by the Games. However, Comissiong added that the National Association of Athletic Administrations (NAAA) and the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) have been liaising with the Pan Am Games officials, in an attempt to have the six remain on the team.

The NAAA first vice president added that he is hoping that the situation will be resolved ahead of the T&T’s athletes meeting on Tuesday (July 14) and before flying out on Friday (July 17). Comissiong said despite the NAAA being aware of revised Pan Am Games standards,  the local athletic body went ahead to select a team, based on the previous competition requirements and is confident that the six athletes in question will remain on the team.

Trinidad and Tobago is not the only delegation affected by the change in standards, as according to media reports Jamaica, US Virgin Islands (USVI, British Virgin Islands (BVI) and Haiti have also been affected. Jamaica’s team was cut by eight athletes while the Virgin Islands Daily News reports that six USVI and nine BVI could be left at home.

The Games set new barriers in order to trim the amount of track and field athletes to 680, according to the Association of Pan American Athletes. The original standards, set more than a year ago, had more than 1,100 qualified athletes, many of whom, thought they were bound for Toronto as of last week.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Regional Olympic Committees upset over new Pan Games track and field standards
By Clayton Clarke, TrackAlerts.Com Writer
July 12th, 2015 1:12pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Victor Lopez, President of North American, Central American & Caribbean (NACAC) athletic body

Several Caribbean Olympic Committees are upset over the changes in the Pan American Games standards for the track and field events, as issued by the organizers. The Games set new barriers in an attempt to reduce the amount of track and field athletes to 680.  Based on the original standards, set more than a year ago, more than 1,100 qualified athletes qualified for the quadrennial hemispheric Games.

An earlier Trackalerts story reported that eight Jamaican athletes are set to lose their spots on the country’s team, while six Trinidad and Tobago competitors are in jeopardy of not competing in Toronto. Media reports suggest that six US Virgin Islands and nine British Virgin Islands team-members, could be left at home.

According to a story on the US Virgin Daily News posted on July 1, the USVI  Track and Field Federation contacted the Association of Pan American Athletics, via email, in response to the changes. “The unilateral change in qualification standards by the host local organizing committee is unacceptable. It challenges the host country’s integrity and its commitment to our Pan Am sporting family. What assurance can the host country now offer all participating countries that administrative rules, housing arrangements, competition standards and travel, transportation and meal arrangements would not be subject to further unilateral change?”

The email added that  USVI athletic body is calling on the host country to “return to the initial standards, agreements and arrangements it expressed over the last Pan Am cycle.”  V.I. Olympic Committee (VIOC) President Angel Morales  lamented that the Pan Am Games organizers waited too long to notify athletes of the change in standards.

Vice-President of the Antigua and Barbuda Athletic Association, Calvin Greenaway told the Daily Observer that country may be forced to reduced its nine member team to the Games. Greenaway said the change in standards will affect the country’s preparation.

“There is a hold on everything at the moment and we just waiting to hear what the next move is going to be. We have to continue buying tickets which are getting more expensive. It (the situation) is messing up everybody’s budgeting.”

President of the North American, Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) athletic body, Victor Lopez of Puerto Rico said the over-quota subscription reflects how strong the Pan Am region in track and field.

President of the the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Athletic organization, Alain Jena Pierre of Haiti called the change unfair and inadmissible, as arrangements were already in place by some federations and Olympic committees to travel to Toronto at the time of the release of the new standards.

“The Federations, the NOCs (National Olympic Committees) went through a lot of sacrifices and with the help of PASO, spent a lot of money preparing the athletes and buying their plane tickets.”
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:25:14 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russell pleased with Women Warriors’ display
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »
Russell pleased with Women Warriors’ display
Published on Jul 12, 2015, 9:42 pm AST (T&T Express)

JUL 11TH 2015: T&T's Head Coach Ross Russel (centre) gestures at the line.
Photo: Allan V. Crane/TTOC

TORONTO - National senior women’s football team head coach Ross Russell credited his players for their gritty showing against Argentina as they came from behind on two occasions to earn a 2-2 draw in their opening Pan American Games encounter in Toronto on Saturday.

Goals by Mariah Shade in the 59th minute and late second half substitute Maylee Attin-Johnson secured the deserved point for T&T. Marianna Larroquette had earlier put the South Americans ahead on 52 minutes before Shade stepped up to convert for T&T.

After missing a couple decent chances, T&T then found themselves trailing when Belen Potassa slotted home from close range following a left side delivery

Forward Kennya Cordner had a couple very good opportunities to add to T&T’s tally in the second half but luck was not on her side. Colombia edged T&T on possession 51 to 49 per cent.

Russell said he was pleased with the draw.“The team took a little long to settle in. The Argentines settled before us but once we did that, we started to look good and play our game,” Russell told TTFA Media.

“The strategy going into the game was to be careful at first and once settle in, we would play our game which is more attacking through the wings. The Argentines were a bit slow on the wings and they were not heading the game as properly,” he added.

Overall, Russell was satisfied and he is now anticipating an even better showing when T&T faces Colombiatomorrow. “The result is a good one because I thought we did well to come back twice to get a share of the points. I think we can do a lot better in the upcoming games. Once we settle down and play our style, I believe we will be a force to be reckoned with in this group,” Russell added.

Trinidad and Tobago:

1. Kimika Forbes, 3.Mariah Shade (15.Lauryn Hutchinson 80’), 4.Rhea Belgrave, 2.Ayanna Russell (captain), 5.Arin King, 8.Patrice Superville; 16.Brianna Ryce, 11.Janine Francois (10.Tasha St Louis 63’), 14.Karyn Forbes (9.Maylee Attin-Johnson 72’); 12.Ahkeela Mollon, 19.Kennya Cordner.

Subs not used: 21.Shalette Alexander (GK), 6.Khadidra Debesette, 7.Dernelle Mascall, 13.Shenelle Henry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:27:53 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daniel out of medals in 10m air pistol
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »
Daniel out of medals in 10m air pistol
Published on Jul 12, 2015, 9:43 pm AST (T&T Express)

Roger Daniel fails to qualify for final of 10-metre air pistol competition

TORONTO- It was not a happy return to the Pan American Games yesterday for shooter Roger Daniel as he failed to make it past the qualifying round in the 10-metre air pistol competition on the second full day of action at the 2015 Games in Toronto, Canada.

Daniel, the silver medallist in this event four years ago in Guadalajara, Mexico, placed 16th in the opening round, well short of making the top eight cut to move on.

However, female sailor Kelly-Ann Arrindell made a more promising start to her Games, when she finished second in the opening race of the Women’s Laser Radial class to Dolores Moreira of Uruguay. Up to press time however, the scheduled second race on day one of the competition had not been contested.

Olympic sailor Andrew Lewis also had to play a waiting game, as his second race was delayed. But he got off to a slow start in the opening event of the Men’s Laser class, finishing 10th.

Today, both Arrindell and Lewis will continue their medal quest. Meanwhile, the men’s football team under coach Zoran Vranes will make their tournament debut against Uruguay at the Hamilton Pan Am Soccer Stadium. Four years ago, these two teams were also drawn in the same group and drew 1-1.

Shooter Anthony Maraj is also scheduled to see action on the first day of qualifying in the Men’s trap event. And in beach volleyball, Daneil Williams and Fabien Whitfield will take on Puerto Rican opponents in their opening Pool D preliminary round match.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marsden 13th in Pan Am 10k Open Water
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
PAN AM GAMES
Marsden 13th in Pan Am 10k Open Water
Published: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

T&T's Open water swimmer, 16 year old Christian Marsden.
Photo: Allan V. Crane/TTOC

Teenager Christian Marsden was 13th out of 18 competitors when the Men’s 10K Open Water swim at the Pan American Games took place on Sunday afternoon at the Ontario Place West Channel, Toronto, Canada. The 16-year-old Marsden, the youngest competitor in the field completed the course in two hours, 07:53:5 minutes, 13:49.8 minutes behind USA’s Chip Peterson who won gold in one hour, 54:03.6.

Second was another American in David Heron (1.54:07.4) while Ecuador’s Salgado Enderica got bronze in (1:54:09.2) Yesterday at the Mississauga Sports Centre, in the Men’s Trap qualification round at the Pan AM Shooting Centre, T&T’s Anthony Maraj had a poor start with rounds of 18 and 5 for 23 points and 28th position from a field of 29 with the remaining three rounds scheduled for today, 24 points behind Myles Walker of the USA who leads the table.

On Saturday, in the Men’s Artistic Gymnastics Qualifications, Albert Williams competing on the Rings alone of the six apparatus scored 13.050 for joint 33rd with USA’s Marvin Kimble while on Sunday in the women’s competition, Marisa Dick, competing in three apparatuses tallied 12.450 on the Uneven bars for 24th; 12.550 and 19th on the Balance Beams, and 33rd on the Floor with a score of 12.

Last night, Dick was listed to compete with five others in the women’s All Round Balance Beam finals. At the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, T&T’s 18-year-old Kelly Arrindell had an impressive start to the Women’s Laser Radial with a second placed finish behind Uruguay’s Dolores Moreira in Sunday first ever.

Olympian Andrew Lewis had an opposite day as he improved on his tenth place finish on Sunday by securing second spot in the second Men’s Laser Race, yesterday followed by sixth in event three. Today, the fifth and sixth rounds of both Women’s Laser Radial and Men’s Laser 12 –stage events will take place from 11.35am and 1.35 pm respectively.

Last night, at the Chevrolet Beach Volleyball Centre, top local men’s beach volleyball pair, Daniel Williams and Fabien Whitfield started Pool D round-robin play against Puerto Ricans, Roberto Rodriguez and Erick Haddock. The Toco-born T&T pair will also meet Chilean brothers, Marcos and Esteban Grimalt, and El Salvador’s Carlos Escobar and David Vargas in their remaining matches.

Today in the women’s draw, T&T duo, Ayanna Dyette and Malika Davidson face Argentines Ana Gallay and Georgina Klug in their Pool D opener from 10 am. They will also face top Mexican duo, Martha Revuelta and Bibiana Candelas as well as Cubans Linma Flores and Leila Martinez in their other matches.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:14:58 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Alexander out Pan Am Cycling
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
Alexander out Pan Am Cycling
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Tuesday, July 14 2015 (T&T Newsday)

TRINIDAD AND Tobago’s Pan American Games cycling contingent suffered a crucial blow on Sunday night, when ace rider Quincy Alexander withdrew from competition due to a recent groin injury sustained during a pre-tournament camp in Mexico almost two weeks ago.

Alexander was scheduled to represent the red, white and black in the Individual Sprint and Team Sprint events, alongside local Team Drive Phase Sport (DPS) club-mates Jude Codrington and Justin Roberts in the latter.

The 21-year-old’s unexpected exit now sees Olympian Njisane Phillip take up his position in the Team Sprint. After sustaining the injury, the 21-year old Alexander and his local cycling unit travelled to Colorado, USA, to compete in two International Cycling Union (UCI) sanctioned Grand Prix events.

Alexander was unable to compete in the US and was assessed by the Trinidad and Tobago Cycling Federation (TTCF) doctors and officials. It was then determined that he should not take part in the Pan American Games, in an effort to ensure full recovery and prevent further harm.

The Team Sprint squad of Codrington, Roberts and Phillip begin their Pan Am campaign at the Cisco Milton Velodrome on Thursday.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lewis gives better showing
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
Lewis gives better showing
Tuesday, July 14 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Trinidad and Tobago's Andrew Lewis competes in the Men's Laser Opening Series at the Pan Am Games in Canada on Sunday. Author: ALLAN V CRANE

Andrew Lewis had an improved showing in race two and three of the Men Laser Opening Series yesterday when he sailed to fifth and sixth place respectively, as action continued at the 2015 Pan American Games at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, Canada.

Having placed 10th in his opening race on Sunday, the national sailor bettered his day-one performance by holding on to fifth in race two of the Series and in the process, grabbed five points towards his overall allocation. Later in the day, Lewis hit the waters once more and managed to pull off a sixth place finish in race three to cop six points. He is expected to return today for race four.

Meanwhile, open water female compatriot Kelly-Ann Arrindell jeopardised her second placed performance in the Women Laser Radial Opening Series race-one on Sunday by finishing 12th in yesterday’s second meeting. Like Lewis, she returns to the water today in an effort to bolster her chances of attaining Trinidad and Tobago’s first ever Pan American sailing medal.

Other results coming out of the camp yesterday saw national shooter Anthony Maraj place 28th after two events in the Men’s Trap qualification round. On his first attempt, Maraj shot 18, followed up by five in his second. The marksman will continue his qualification campaign today in the second phase, shooting first in Group 4.

Meanwhile, TT’s Zoran Vranes-coached men’s football team were hammered 4-0 by Uruguay, with goals coming from Duarte Firmiliano (6’), Rostagnol Ricca (20’), Basil Albarracin (31’) and Aparicio Lozano (69’). The national outfit was weakened with the dismissal of defender Alvin Jones in the 59th minute at the Hamilton Soccer Stadium.

In beach volleyball action, TT’s pair of Fabien Whitfield and Daniel Williams were still awaiting the start of their Men preliminary round Pool ‘D’ clash against Puerto Rico.

Today’s TT Pan Am Schedule

Beach Volleyball - TT vs Argentina (women)

Field Hockey - TT vs Argentina (men)

Football - TT vs Colombia (women)

Sailing - Andrew Lewis (Laser Race 4); Kelly-Ann Arrindell (Laser Radial Race 3)

Shooting - Anthony Maraj (Men Trap Qualification Day 2)

Swimming — George Bovell III; Christian Marsden; Dylan Carter
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:20:06 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Local stickmen, women’s beach v/ball pair swing into Pan Am action today
By Donstan Bonn (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 13, 2015, 8:29 pm AST

Trinidad and Tobago’s sailor Andrew Lewis put in an improved showing on Day 2 of sailing at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada, when he copped fifth and sixth positions in the second and third races, respectively, in the opening series of the men laser class, yesterday.

Lewis, who finished in tenth place in Sunday’s first race, would climb five places up the ladder to fifth position behind Brazil’s Roberto Scheidt, Lee Parkhill of Canada, Guatemala’s Juan Maegli and Chris Thompson of the US Virgin Islands in race two before returning to claim sixth place in race three as the top three places were filled by Parkhill, USA’s Charlie Buckingham, who won race one put picked up a black flag disqualification in race two, and Julio Alsogaray of Argentina. Lewis will be in action today in race four which is scheduled to sail off at 11.35 a.m.

However, female sailor Kelly Arrindell had reversed fortunes to Lewis. Competing in the women’s laser radial class, Arrindell put in a strong effort to finish second behind Uruguay’s Dolores Moreira in Sunday’s opening race but had to settle for 12th and ninth places, respectively, in yesterday’s second and third races.

T&T shooter Anthony Maraj also had a challenging day competing in the men’s trap. Maraj was successful in hitting 18 and five targets in yesterday two trap events for a total of 23, which puts in 28th position overall. He will be looking to improve on his placing when Day 2 action in that discipline gets underway at 9am today.

In other action, T&T’s under-22 men’s football team was locked in battle with South Americans Uruguay up to press time in a Group B first round match, while the men’s beach volleyball pair of Daneil Williams and Fabien Whitfield were scheduled to face Puerto Rico’s Erick Haddock and Roberto Rodriquez in a Pool D preliminary round match-up at 11 pm.

And in competition on today, T&T’s men field hockey unit have a 9 am clash with Argentina while the women’s beach volley duo of Ayana Dyette and Malika Davidson do battle with Argentina’s Georgina Klug and Ana Gallay an hour later.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carter 5th in Pan Am 100m Freestyle
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2015, 02:28:01 AM »
Carter 5th in Pan Am 100m Freestyle
Wednesday, July 15 2015 (T&T Newsday)

TRINIDAD AND Tobago’s Dylan Carter finished fifth in the Men’s 100m Freestyle A final at the Pan Am Games yesterday evening in Toronto.

The 19-year-old University of Southern California (USC) athlete, swimming in lane seven, clocked 49.10 seconds.

Argentina’s Federico Grabich won the gold in 48.26 seconds, with Canada’s Santo Condorelli (48.07) and Brazil’s Marc Chierighini (48.80) following in that order. Carter had qualified for the A final earlier in the day by finishing third in Heat One in a time of 49.29 seconds, following Condorelli (48.88) and Yuri Kisil (49.07) to the line. Late last evening, the TT Women’s football team, having drawn 2-2 with Argentina in their opening match, were aiming for full points against Columbia in Hamilton.

Other TT athletes endured a tough day at the games yesterday. Christopher George was eliminated from the Men’s 100kg Judo competition; Uruguay’s Manuel Bueno defeated him by one full point after one minute, 30 seconds of their 1/8 final. In Beach Volleyball, Malika Davidson and Ayana Dyette fell to Ana Gallay and Georgina Klug of Argentina in straight sets in their Pool D encounter; the South Americans won the match 21-11, 21-13.

Today, Daniel Williams and Fabien Whitfield will face a Chilean pair in their Men’s Pool D fixture, while the women will strive for better results against a Mexican duo.

The national Men’s Hockey team suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of Argentina in their opening fixture, beaten 11-0. After a goalless opening quarter, the South Americans, runners-up to the United States at the last Pan Am Games, led 4-0 at the half, thanks to a hat-trick from Lucas Vila. The TT men conceded two more in the third, but as they tired in the final stanza, the Argentinians scored five goals in the last four minutes of the game. The TT Hockey men will next play Cuba on Thursday before completing their Pool A schedule against the defending champion United States on Saturday.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T still hunting first Pan Am medal
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2015, 03:09:55 AM »
T&T still hunting first Pan Am medal
By Sean Taylor (sean.taylor@trinidadexpress.com)
Published on Jul 14, 2015, 8:30 pm AST (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago is still in the hunt for its first medal at the 2015 Pan American Games currently being held in Toronto, Canada. Several athletes were in action since Monday in seven different disciplines at the Games.

The men’s under-23 football team suffered a crushing 4-0 defeat to Uruguay on Monday evening as they opened their Pan Am Games account at the Hamilton Pan Am Soccer Stadium. T&T skipper Alivin Jones was sent off in the 59th minute to add insult to injury to an Under-23 team that also recently failed to qualify for the Olympic Games next year to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Also on Monday, Marisa Dick placed 14th overall in the all round final in women’s gymnastics. The event incorporated four different events including the pommel horse, uneven bars, balance beam and the floor routine, all contributing to overall points that determine the winner. William Albert finished 56th in the men’s qualifying event in gymnastics. He scored 13.050 on the rings; the only event he competed in.

At the Chevrolet Beach Volleyball Centre on Monday evening, the T&T men’s team lost 2-0 to Puerto Rico. Fabien Whitfield and Daneil Williams lost both their sets 21-12 and 21-15. They will face Chilean cousins Marco and Esteban Grimalt today at 11am. The women’s team also lost at the centre yesterday, as they lost 2-0 to Argentina. Malaika Davidson and Ayanna Dyette lost their first set 21-11 and the second 21-13. They will face Mexican duo Bibiana Candelas and Martha Revuelta at 4.30pm this afternoon at the centre.

Argentinians are proving to be the bane of the national atheletes’ existence thus far at the Pan Am Games, as their hockey team ran riot in an 11-0 victory against the T&T stickmen. The Pool A match at the University of St George Field took place yesterday morning, and leaves the T&T team with much to do when they next take to the field against Cuba at 9am on Thursday morning.

Anthony Maraj is 28th in the men’s trap shooting competition after scoring 18 points on his first day, and following up with five on his second day, yesterday. He has three more rounds left to improve on his points total.

In some disappointing news in the track cycling fraternity, Quincy Alexander was injured duing a pre-tournament training camp in Mexico. His coach Des Dickie and his staff were monitoring him hoping he’d recover. However, after a fitness assessment on Tuesday, it was decided to pull him out of the Games. A

lexander is now back in T&T, which means that Njisane Phillip will race in his place in the team sprint event.

Christopher George was defeated by ippon when he faced Manuel Bueno of Uruguay in the men’s 100kg judo competition at the Mississauga Sports Centre. The defeat, which saw him fail to reach the quarter-final round, came after he conceded two wazari, or half points, which add up to an ippon full point.

In sailing, London Olympian Andrew Lewis finished seventh in race four of the men’s laser opening series, while Kelly Arrindell finished the opening series in the women’s laser in tenth place.

In the pool, T&T’s newest swimming sensation Dylan Carter splashed his way to the final after he placed third in heat one of the men’s 100m freestyle clocking 49.29 seconds. He finished fifth in the final, bettering his time to 49.10 seconds. On the open water, Christian Marsden placed 13th overall in the men’s 10-kilometre final, clocking 2:07:53.5.

And the women’s football team were in action late yesterday against the Colombians at the Hamilton Stadium. The “Women Warriors” currently have one point after their hard-fought 2-2 draw with Argentina on Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:17:04 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pan Am athletics team cut ...Mark-Baird among trio dropped by APA
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 03:10:53 AM »
Pan Am athletics team cut
Mark-Baird among trio dropped by APA

By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 14, 2015, 8:54 pm AST

DROPPED FROM TEAM: Marsha Mark-Baird

The Pan American Games athletics team has been cut from 35 to 32. The three athletes who will not travel to Toronto, Canada for the hemispheric multi-sport event are triple jumper Steve Waithe, discus thrower Emmanuel Stewart and heptathlete Marsha Mark-Baird.

National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president, Ephraim Serrette told the Express, yesterday, that the cutting of the Trinidad and Tobago team was “beyond our control”. He explained that in an effort to limit the number of athletics competitors at the Games to 680, the Association of Panamerican Athletics (APA) recently produced revised qualifying standards.

“It is sad for the sport when they’re trying to dictate to countries the number of athletes to select. I could not understand how, at the 99th hour, about six weeks before our National Championships, APA could come up with revised standards, after we had established our standards since last year. APA was actually selecting our team for us.”

Serrette said that APA originally rejected six of the 35 athletes chosen by the NAAA for national duty in Toronto. In addition to Waithe, Stewart and Mark-Baird, triple jumper Elton Walcott, discus thrower Quincy Wilson and javelin thrower Shakiel Waithe were axed from the T&T team. The NAAA, however, was not prepared to accept that decision.

“We appealed through the Olympic Committee (TTOC),” Serrette explained, “for the inclusion of all six athletes. We were able to get three of them back on the team.

“As a former athlete,” the NAAA president continued, “I know it’s difficult for the athletes who are off the team. The only consolation is that they are all on the team for the North American, Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) Championships, in early August. Champions at that meet qualify for the IAAF World Championships, if selected by their national federations.”

Other Caribbean teams, including the powerful Jamaicans, have also been affected by the revised APA standards for the Pan American Games.

“This is a slap in the face of athletics in the region,” said Serrette. “Had it not been so late, I might have been one to call for a boycott of the Pan Am Games. But arrangements were already in place for people to travel.”

The T&T Pan American Games athletics team will travel to Toronto on Friday. The first track and field events are scheduled for next Tuesday.

TRACK AND FIELD TEAM

Men:
Keston Bledman (100, 4x100), Marcus Duncan (100, 4x100), Kyle Greaux (200, 4x400), Rondel Sorrillo (200, 4x100), Machel Cedenio (400, 4x400), Renny Quow (400, 4x400), Mikel Thomas (110 hurdles, 4x100), Jehue Gordon (400 hurdles, 4x400), Emanuel Mayers (400 hurdles), Elton Walcott (triple jump), Quincy Wilson (discus), Keshorn Walcott (javelin), Shakiel Waithe (javelin), Emmanuel Callender (4x100), Dan-Neil Telesford (4x100), Jarrin Solomon (4x400), Lalonde Gordon (4x400)

Women: Kelly-Ann Baptiste (100, 4x100), Semoy Hackett (100, 4x100), Reyare Thomas (200, 4x100), Kamaria Durant (200, 4x100), Janeil Bellille (400, 4x400), Josanne Lucas (400 hurdles, 4x400), Sparkle McKnight (400 hurdles, 4x400), Deandra Daniel (high jump), Ayanna Alexander (triple jump), Cleopatra Borel (shot put), Lisa Wickham (4x100), Peli Alzola (4x100), Romona Modeste (4x400), Jessica James (4x400), Alena Brooks (4x400)

Officials: George Comissiong (manager), Ian Hypolite (head coach), Charlie Joseph (coach), Gunness Persad (coach), Nicconnor Alexander (coach), Robin Brereton (coach), Michelle Pennie (coach), Ismael Lopez Mastrapa (coach), Wade Franklyn (coach)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTO Pan Am Games Track & Field Team Reduced
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:22 PM »
TTO Pan Am Games Track & Field Team Reduced
Wednesday, July 15 2015 (NAAA TT)

NAAA TT President Ephraim Serrette

The Track & Field team that will be heading out to the Pan American Games being held in Toronto, has been reduced from the original 35 that were selected earlier in the month to 32.
The reason being is that the Association of Panamerican Athletics (APA) recently produced revised qualifying standards at the last minute, in their effort to limit the number of athletic competitors at the Games to 680.

This decision by the APA is not exclusive to team TTO, as many other countries have been affected by this, which is so unfair as travel arrangements were already put in place by some of them, as the original standards were set since last year.

The three athletes who will not be traveling to Toronto, Canada for the games are triple jumper Steve Waithe, discus thrower Emmanuel Stewart and heptathlete Marsha Mark-Baird.

Originally six athletes were rejected by APA, but the NAAA's appealed this decision through the Trinidad & Tobago Olympic Committee and were able to get three of the six reinstated to the team.

Trinidad and Tobago's Pan American Games athletic team will leave for Toronto on Friday (17th) at 1:04.am. The first track and field event is scheduled for next week Tuesday.

The full TRACK AND FIELD team is as follows.

Men:
Keston Bledman (100, 4x100), Marcus Duncan (100, 4x100), Kyle Greaux (200, 4x400), Rondel Sorrillo (200, 4x100), Machel Cedenio (400, 4x400), Renny Quow (400, 4x400), Mikel Thomas (110 hurdles, 4x100), Jehue Gordon (400 hurdles, 4x400), Emanuel Mayers (400 hurdles), Elton Walcott (triple jump), Quincy Wilson (discus), Keshorn Walcott (javelin), Shakiel Waithe (javelin), Emmanuel Callender (4x100), Dan-Neil Telesford (4x100), Jarrin Solomon (4x400), Lalonde Gordon (4x400)

Women: Kelly-Ann Baptiste (100, 4x100), Semoy Hackett (100, 4x100), Reyare Thomas (200, 4x100), Kamaria Durant (200, 4x100), Janeil Bellille (400, 4x400), Josanne Lucas (400 hurdles, 4x400), Sparkle McKnight (400 hurdles, 4x400), Deandra Daniel (high jump), Ayanna Alexander (triple jump), Cleopatra Borel (shot put), Lisa Wickham (4x100), Peli Alzola (4x100), Romona Modeste (4x400), Jessica James (4x400), Alena Brooks (4x400)

Officials: George Comissiong (manager), Ian Hypolite (head coach), Charlie Joseph (coach), Gunness Persad (coach), Nicconnor Alexander (coach), Robin Brereton (coach), Michelle Pennie (coach), Ismael Lopez Mastrapa (coach), Wade Franklyn (coach)

Peter Samuel
(PRO NAAA TT)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:26:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott, Borel lead T&T to Pan Am Games
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2015, 01:15:45 AM »
Walcott, Borel lead T&T to Pan Am Games
Published: Thursday, July 16, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Keshorn Walcott and Cleopatra Borel both currently in great form

A 32-member national track and field team will leave for the Pan American Games in Canada, tomorrow, led by Keshorn Walcott and Cleopatra Borel.

T&T's Pan American Games athletic team will leave for Toronto at 1.04 am. The first track and field event is scheduled for Tuesday.

Walcott and Borel have been in scintillating form of late. At the Diamond League in Lausanne, Switzerland on July 9, Walcott broke his own national record with a throw of 90.16 metres to win gold in the javelin event. At the Spitzen Leichtathletik meet in Luzern, Switzerland on Tuesday, Borel won gold in the women's shot put with a top throw of 18.65m.

The T&T team will now travel with 32 athletes, as opposed to the original 35 selected. The reason for this is that the Association of Panamerican Athletics (APA) recently produced revised qualifying standards at the last minute, in their effort to limit the number of athletic competitors at the Games to 680.

This decision by the APA is not exclusive to team T&T, as many other countries have been affected by this. The National Association of Athletics Administrations of T&T (NAAA) believes the decision is unfair as travel arrangements were already put in place, as the original standards were set since last year. The three T&T athletes who will not be traveling to Canada for the games are triple jumper Steve Waithe, discus thrower Emmanuel Stewart and heptathlete Marsha Mark-Baird.

Originally six athletes were rejected by APA, but the NAAA's appealed the decision through the T&T Olympic Committee and were able to get three of the six reinstated to the team.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:52:06 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Home advantage working for Canadians
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
Home advantage working for Canadians
Published on Jul 15, 2015, 11:16 pm AST (T&T Express)

TORONTO— Canada feels the power of the home-field advantage at the Pan Am Games, and Brazil — the host of the Olympics next year in Rio de Janeiro — are watching.

Canada has topped the medal table through the first days of the event and, although they are sure to relinquish their lead to the powerful Americans, the frenzied home crowds in Toronto are driving the medal count.

“Knowing that most of those people in the stands are there for you is a tremendous confidence builder,” Curt Harnett, head of the Canadian delegation, told The Associated Press yesterday. “It gives you a significant sense of — I’ll use the word: swagger.”

Canada’s got it. Brazil will need it a year from now. And the Americans always seem to have it at the big events.

Host countries always get a boost at the Olympics, or in large regional events like the Pan Am Games. China did in 2008 in Beijing, and Britain caught Olympic fever three years ago in London.

Canada’s going all out to justify spending US$2 billion on the most expensive Pan Am Games in history. It’s treating the games like the Olympics — newspapers are displaying the medal count on the front page — and some see it as a prelude to an eventual Olympic bid.

The hemisphere’s three powers are taking slightly different approaches to the 17-day event.

Harnett said Canada are fielding their “A Team” and their 719-member delegation is the largest of the games, and almost twice as big as their Pan Am team four years ago in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Canada are building on their success at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, where they topped the gold-medal count.

“Canadians found their collective voice and pride at Vancouver, and that surge has carried over here,” Harnett said.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:55:13 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner scores as TT hold Colombia
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:42 AM »
Cordner scores as TT hold Colombia
Thursday, July 16 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Kennya “Yaya” Cordner celebrates with acrobatic flip after scoring goal

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago women football team, the Women Soca Warriors, secured their second straight drawn result in Group A of the Pan Am Games in Toronto, Canada on Tuesday evening.

Striker Kennya Cordner scored an 87th minute equaliser as the TT team battled to a 1-1 draw against Colombia, to remain with a chance of advancing into the semi-final phase.

The national squad fought back from a 2-1 deficit to draw 2-2 with Argentina in their opening group game on July 11, and will now be seeking full points against Mexico in their final preliminary round match on Saturday, in order to guarantee a spot in the ‘semis’.

Cordner needed treatment to her left knee yesterday morning after colliding with Colombian goalkeeper Sanda Sepulveda, as she netted the vital equaliser for the Women Soca Warriors.

The speedy striker benefitted from a defensive error to cancel out Ingrid Vidal’s fourth minute item for Colombia. Also on Tuesday, Mexico strolled past Argentina 3-1.

In the group standings, Trinidad and Tobago are third with two points, ahead of Argentina (one point). Colombia lead with four points, with Mexico next on three points.

Yesterday, in beach volleyball, the TT duo of Fabien Whitfield and Daneil Williams were beaten 21-11, 22-20, in 37 minutes, by the Chilean twosome of Esteban and Marco Grimalt, in the Preliminary Round Pool D.

The TT beach volleyball women pair of Malika Davidson and Ayana Dyette did no better in their Preliminary Round Pool D meeting against Mexico’s Bibiana Candelas and Martha Revuelta. The Mexicans triumphed 25-23, 21-7 in 34 minutes.

Today, the men’s beach volleyball team will face El Salvador while the women will oppose Cuba.

Also on today’s agenda, the men’s hockey team will be squaring off against Cuba from 9 am in their Preliminary Round Pool A contest.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
STILL ALIVE ...‘Yaya’ rescues Women Warriors against Colombia
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2015, 01:41:58 AM »
STILL ALIVE
‘Yaya’ rescues Women Warriors against Colombia

Published on Jul 16, 2015, 12:01 am AST (T&T Express)

DETERMINATION: T&T’S Arin King left, puts in a tackle to stop Colombia’s Tatiana Ariza in
their Group A clash at the Hamilton Soccer Stadium in Toronto, Canada, on Tuesday night.
The match ended in a 1-1 draw. —Photo: AP

TORONTO— A late equaliser from Kennya "Yaya" Cordner kept the hopes of the Women Warriors alive in Group A of the 2015 Pan American Games women's football competition. The senior women's team squared up against Colombia in their second match of the campaign where they had to come from behind again to salvage a draw at the death at the Hamilton Pan Am Soccer Stadium in Toronto, Canada.

Colombia took an early lead when Ingrid Vidal converted a low cross from the right side three minutes in, and then proceeded to dominate the rest of the match until an errant back pass in the 87th minute gave Cordner the ideal opportunity to save the campaign for the T&T women's team.

The result leaves the Women Warriors in a must-win encounter with the Mexicans on Saturday (5.35pm T&T time) in order to qualify for the semi-finals. The Mexicans, ranked 26th in the world, could prove to be their toughest test yet. But the game also presents a chance at revenge for Ross Russell's charges as they lost 4-2 after extra time to the Central Americans lost out on the third automatic World Cup berth at the 2014 CONCACAF Women's Championships.

Tomorrow, the men's Under-23 football team will face Paraguay at the same stadium in their second match in Group B. Despite going into the game without their skipper Alvin Jones, who was sent off against Uruguay on Monday, the young "Soca Warriors" hope to emulate the senior team who are currently doing well at the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The T&T U-23s lost 4-0 to Uruguay on Monday evening.

Over on the beach, the volleyball pair of Fabien Whitfield and Daneil Williams couldn't get the better of the cousins from Chile, Esteban and Marco Grimalt. T&T lost in straight sets 21-11, 22-20. It was their second consecutive defeat in the preliminary round Pool D at the Chevrolet Beach Volleyball Centre. Their female counterparts were also unable to register a win, as they lost in two straight sets against Mexico 25-23, 21-7 yesterday afternoon.

At Royal Canadian Yacht Club yesterday, the men and women's laser competition was still in progress at press time, and Andrew Lewis and Kelly Arrindell were both holding their own. Lewis was in tenth position in trace five of the Men's Laser class, while Arrindell moved up to second in her fifth race in the Women's Laser Radial class.

Today, endurance cyclist Varun Maharajh will be on the track at the Cisco Milton Pan Am Velodrome for the first event of the men's omnium. He will ride today in the scratch race at 11.56am (TT time). Later on he will contest the men's individual pursuit at 12.42pm, and the elimination at 6.56pm.

The men's team sprint team will be in action as well. Despite the withdrawal of Quincy Alexander through injury, Njisane Phillip who takes his place, will attempt to qualify for the final with Justin Roberts and Jude Codrington. The qualification race starts at 12.29pm, while the final, should they make it, will be 6pm this evening.

Today the T&T men’s hockey team have some ground to make up after their 11-0 thrashing from the Argentines on Tuesday. They face Cuba at 9am at the Pan Fields at the University of St George.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:45:21 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>