March 28, 2024, 09:53:23 AM

Author Topic: TT Women’s Premier League (WPL) Thread.  (Read 20339 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: TT Women’s Premier League (WPL) Thread.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
This is one big confusion. You have TTFA staff member collaborating to for this league, but yet TTFA and the Mosport embroiled in a war of words over money.

If the TTFA help the MoS to get the WPL going then they won't have to invest any of their the Govt that they get back into the Wome's Program cause Sancho already allocated money for that. All they will have to do is send the women's team to play, kinda like they'vebeen doing.

The first real action the WNT getting since Ecuador will be through Sancho as the TTFA have not done anything for the women(Phill Bakes can prove me wrong on this by showing what the TTFA did). Not a friendly nothing. The coach that was coaching them was the U20 coach so they did not even have a coach. Why not work with the MoS on this WPL then? Makes sense for the to do it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 08:39:59 AM »
This is one big confusion. You have TTFA staff member collaborating to for this league, but yet TTFA and the Mosport embroiled in a war of words over money.

Despite what you read on this site or Tim-Kees political outburst, relationships between the Ministry and TTFA personnel is very cordial. Of course, they would like more money, but every meeting I have attended has been respectful and both parties understand the others positions clearly.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
So if the meetings are cordial, wtf is happening. Everybody sitting around the table exchanging pleasantries, and at the end of the day we back to square 1. It doh make sense. That is why many on the forum are spewing venom at both the MoSport and TTFA. They just friggin fed up with everybody involved in this process.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
Despite what you read on this site or Tim-Kees political outburst, relationships between the Ministry and TTFA personnel is very cordial. Of course, they would like more money, but every meeting I have attended has been respectful and both parties understand the others positions clearly.

Well it's a good thing that "Tim-Kee" is the only one who gone political as you put it.  Saint Brent the Pious didn't politicize things by stepping into the dispute during the Caribbean Cup and arranging for a horse and pony show with Kamla, getting the MoS appointment in exchange for his "intervention." 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »

Well it's a good thing that "Tim-Kee" is the only one who gone political as you put it.  Saint Brent the Pious didn't politicize things by stepping into the dispute during the Caribbean Cup and arranging for a horse and pony show with Kamla, getting the MoS appointment in exchange for his "intervention." 

Saint Tim-Kee The Untruthful didn't politicize things by becoming PNM Mayor of Port of Spain or PNM Treasurer?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
WPL is a good idea but it's being rushed it seems and other leagues are suffering because of it.
It is looking very disorganised

The other women's league is suffering because of it due to poor mgmt.

We were told the league would be 2 rounds....so minimum of 10-12 games or so, plus cup games and even a big 6
After the 3rd game, we get notice that the league is now 1 round! so all that pre-season prep and hype has been reduced to 2-3 more games.
This very rash decision was supposedly because many teams may suffer from the draft and lose too many players, so the league was reduced to 1 round

So why didnt they think and simply start the WPL a mth later when the league would have been finished.
As of the 7th June, no teams have been finalised. Some coaches are not here yet.
Teams are not training together yet and they are pushing for a 19th June start of this league???????
they cant be serious!
why must we be so disorganised all the time?????

as i said the WPL is a nice idea but it is rushed and the semi-pro women leagues (which are already disorganised) have been thrown under the bus

Seems like they just wanna push it before elections are called.
But answer me this, would a successful WPL tournament have any bearing on Sancho getting any votes (providing he is put up for election)

I hope they rethink this very unfair decision.
but it seems like a done deal in a disorganised world

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 10:48:05 AM »
Saint Tim-Kee The Untruthful didn't politicize things by becoming PNM Mayor of Port of Spain or PNM Treasurer?

Really?  Is that your twisted logic?  By running for political office and keeping those activities separate from his TTFA responsibilities he "policized" things?  Well I'm glad at least to get some confirmation of what the thinking inside the PP camp is like.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
WPL is a good idea but it's being rushed it seems and other leagues are suffering because of it.
It is looking very disorganised

The other women's league is suffering because of it due to poor mgmt.

We were told the league would be 2 rounds....so minimum of 10-12 games or so, plus cup games and even a big 6
After the 3rd game, we get notice that the league is now 1 round! so all that pre-season prep and hype has been reduced to 2-3 more games.
This very rash decision was supposedly because many teams may suffer from the draft and lose too many players, so the league was reduced to 1 round

So why didnt they think and simply start the WPL a mth later when the league would have been finished.
As of the 7th June, no teams have been finalised. Some coaches are not here yet.
Teams are not training together yet and they are pushing for a 19th June start of this league???????
they cant be serious!
why must we be so disorganised all the time?????

as i said the WPL is a nice idea but it is rushed and the semi-pro women leagues (which are already disorganised) have been thrown under the bus

Seems like they just wanna push it before elections are called.
But answer me this, would a successful WPL tournament have any bearing on Sancho getting any votes (providing he is put up for election)

I hope they rethink this very unfair decision.
but it seems like a done deal in a disorganised world

WPL has to be now. It is a vehicle for our national team to gain match fitness and practice against overseas players ahead of PanAm. When the competition was first discussed with WoLF in March, they could have started their league later.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:53 AM »

Really?  Is that your twisted logic?  By running for political office and keeping those activities separate from his TTFA responsibilities he "policized" things?  Well I'm glad at least to get some confirmation of what the thinking inside the PP camp is like.

Bro, you're the man who just suggested that a man, respected by national team players, who they approached to assist with a bonus dispute, somehow parlayed this into a political appointment.

And, by the way, not only do I not know where the PP camp is, as you have pointed out before, I am just a nobody, so I have no interaction with any political party save through Ministerial meetings.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »

Bro, you're the man who just suggested that a man, respected by national team players, who they approached to assist with a bonus dispute, somehow parlayed this into a political appointment.

And, by the way, not only do I not know where the PP camp is, as you have pointed out before, I am just a nobody, so I have no interaction with any political party save through Ministerial meetings.

Spin it however you want, the players approached him... sure.  "somehow" he later became Minister of Sports... somehow.  He harbored great animosity towards the TTFA and Tim Kee in particular prior to his appointment, but being the saint that he is... he's not playing politics with his office.  Okay pardna.  And yeah, I believe yuh when yuh say yuh doh know where the PP camp is.  In fact you wouldn't know the PP camp if it had one ball hanging out each corner of yuh mouth.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »
Women Warriors thrash WPL XI 9-2.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Sancho girls drummed.

Playing in their first game since December 2014, T&T's Women Senior team recored an impressive 9-2 victory over a Women’s Premier League XI at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Tobago-born striker Kenya Cordner scored a hat-trick on Tuesday evening as the Women Warriors thrashed a group of visiting foreign based players 9-2.

The foreign based players are part of a group that Minister of Sports Brent Sancho has brought in to be part of the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL) in Trinidad and Tobago which is set to kick-off June 19.

Mariah Shade scored a deuce and Ahkeela Mollon added one as the Women Warriors were up 3-0 at the half.

Kenya’s treble and a double from Khadidra Debisette along with one from Karyn Forbes in the second half took the final tally to 9.

The visiting players managed to pull two goals back but it was little to late as the Women Warriors held on to seal a comfortable victory.

Recently-appointed T&T head coach Ross Russell was all but please to get the win in his first outing in-charge of the Women's team as they continue to prepare for the upcoming Pan Am Games in Toronto next month. T&T are grouped with Mexico, Colombia and Argentina.

RELATED NEWS

Women Warriors showcase skills ahead of WPL.
By Sean Taylor (Express)

The women Warriors were in action at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Wrightson Road, Port of Spain on Tuesday evening, as they met the foreign professionals for the first time in a practice match.

It was in preparation for the upcoming Women’s Premier League (WPL), which is spearheaded by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, as well as the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT).

The match provided an opportunity for the recently selected coaches for the six franchise teams to get a closer look at their potential stars. This was also the last possible opportunity for the local players to make the best possible impression before the final draft which will be held tomorrow.

The draft, which will be held at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, is an event that will also reveal the franchise teams for the first time to the general public. Logos and team management will be unveiled as well as the squads will finally be selected, modelled after the MLS draft system.

Each team will have two national players who will serve as marquee stars, which according to SPORTT will help raise the profile of the local women’s players in the region.

The competition will follow a league format, in which all teams will play around the country in an effort to get the communities involved, thus gaining a fan base. The major stadia would not be utilised, because the SPORTT are attempting to bring the football into the communities and get people involved.

Where the match was concerned, the Warriors did not hesitate to stamp their authority, as they raced into a 3-0 lead by the time the halftime whistle blew.

The foreign XI briefly threatened early in the second period, but fell further behind as changes were made almost to their entire line up.

The Warriors’ eleven were the more organised, as expected, albeit a bit rusty—they hadn’t played since December. Mariah Shade, Jo Marie Lewis and Kennya Cordner helped to rack up a 9-2 final score. Some of the coaches selected for the franchise teams were on hand and were impressed by what they saw.

“We saw some players that were decent technically,” Anthony Creece told the Express.

“It was a good exercise seeing them play an international team.”

The league will kick off on Labour Day (June 19) and will conclude on July 30.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:06:42 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 02:05:00 AM »
Foreigners, coach eager for inaugural WPL.
T&T Newsday Reports.

SHAKIRA DUNCAN and Jodie Redgrave are two of the foreign players who are in Trinidad, getting ready for the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL).

The pair were involved in a warm-up match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Tuesday, for the WPL XI against the Trinidad and Tobago team.

Duncan is a 25-year-old striker from Jamaica while Redgrave is a 22-year-old defender from England.

Duncan, speaking about the League, which is due to begin this month, stated, “it’s a tremendous feeling because I think that if this goes the right way, it can do a lot.

“It can open up the doors for the Caribbean, for the younger players coming up,” she added. “So we’re looking forward for this.”

Admitting that she has played in Trinidad before, Duncan said, “my last (participation) was for the national team when we did the qualifiers for the CFU here.

“I’ve been taking a break because I was exhausting,” she noted. “I had offers to go places, but then this came up and I jumped on that opportunity. I think it’s a tremendous thing that (the organisers) are doing for the Caribbean.”

Redgrave, who plays as a left-back, lives in Manchester, England and proudly declared that she is a fan of Manchester City.

Asked if this is her first time in Trinidad, she responded, “yes. I’ve never been outside of Europe.”

She pointed out that she is enjoying her stay so far. “Everybody has been so welcoming,” she said. “The heat is not too bad at the moment.”

With regards to the inaugural tournament, Redgrave said, “I’m very happy. Usually, in England, the league players get an opportunity to travel. So it’s a great opportunity.”

She also hopes to promote the tournament when she gets back home to England.

“I want to promote that,” she stressed. “I’m going to get in touch with other coaches and the friends I’ve got, try to promote it and make it bigger and better.”

The Draft is set to take place today, from 3 pm, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo and one of the coaches who will be involved is Derek Arneaud.

According to Arneaud, “I am really blessed to be a part of this because I feel that with all that’s going on in Trinidad, it could be something good for the young ladies.

“With all that (the journalists) have to write about, this will be something good for the young ladies and it’s going to build. The next couple of years, you will be surprised.”

The Trinidad-born Arneaud, who attended St Augustine Secondary (then Senior Comprehensive), also gave a brief insight about himself.

“I (left) on a scholarship and went to East Stroudsburg University for four years. I (graduated) and I went back and coached for 20 years at East Stroudsburg, in Pennsylvania.”

He continued, “I did a lot of things with international players. I was in charge of the US Olympic team in 2012. I know a lot of what’s going on in Trinidad and I want to give back. So that’s why I’m here.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »
This is so friggn painfully ironic!

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
So the draft today is at 15:00. With 2 Senior team players will be deemed as marquee/ franchise players. It will be interesting to see what strategies the new coaching staff's will use in the draft.

Does one take arguably the best keeper in the Caribbean and I say top 5 in Concacaf as the first overall pick.
Or does one take the strikers / MF , Cordner , Shade , Mollon , St. Louis , Mascall
or does one take a midfielder like one of the Debesette twin's , Walker , Forbes or Johnson
or does one take a defender such as King , Russell , Hutchinson , Belgrave

Lots of very tough decisions that is for sure , please don't jump all over because I did not mention another player  ;D   Good luck ladies in today's draft !!!!!

Thoughts??

Cheers

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
Pick the hardest position to fill or the best player available. So if you ask me is either the GK or King going 1st, but I is not a coach.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
Pick the hardest position to fill or the best player available. So if you ask me is either the GK or King going 1st, but I is not a coach.
Injury update on King ?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »
no run down on the draft yet??

i hear a piece of jokiness hwo they have to draft the rest of the players this weekend...
with first game thursday!?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »
This league is doomed. What model is it based off of? How ill players get paid? What kind of sponsorships have they garnered? having a league just for the sake of having a legue is not going to cut it. Look at the attendance at pro-league games is this really going to be feasible. Who are he coaches for these teams? Are they capable and competent? Even the US is struggling to have a strong women's league. This doesn't seem to be well planned out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
MEP, most of us would love to see this come out successfully, but the manner in which  it was devised really not making sense. On top of that there is the TTFA women's league in competition or not in competition with it. I can not see why Sancho and Tim Kee seat down and have one league. I friggin confused and very friggin angry.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:24:39 PM by Deeks »

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
This league is doomed. What model is it based off of? How ill players get paid? What kind of sponsorships have they garnered? having a league just for the sake of having a legue is not going to cut it. Look at the attendance at pro-league games is this really going to be feasible. Who are he coaches for these teams? Are they capable and competent? Even the US is struggling to have a strong women's league. This doesn't seem to be well planned out.

Thank you!!

Good idea...way too rushed
and disorganised

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Well guys no amount of grumbling is going to change the fact the the WPLTT is here to stay. Can't we just be happy for the young ladies who were drafted today.

Congratulations to Arin in being picked first

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
The Real G. Merrique ‏@MRmerrique05
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: With the the first pick of the inaugural WPL DRAFT the Dragons pick  @ar@Kkiinnggeerr

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT:  Ahkeela Mollon is next to go...To the Rush!

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: With the 3rd overall pick the Wave has gone with Kennya Yaya Cordner.

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: Picking 4th overall, Man City academy player Christina Murray goes to the Angels

.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: The order is reversed in round 2. So the Angels choose Jodi-Ann Mcgregor. Like the reggae singer also from Jamrock.

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: The Angels have gone with Maylee Attin Johnson captain of the T&T women warriors.

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: 2nd pick in round 2 goes to Fuego and they select T&T's Tasha St Louis.

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: 3rd pick of Round 2 is with Wave. They like Jamaica's Shakira Duncan.She pairs up with Yaya on the other flank.

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: The Rush selects Emily Marie Cota from the USVI with pick #4 in Round 2.

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: And with the final pick today, Dragons take Isabella Izzy Hayes from the Man City academy

C News retweeted
The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: There is something called the Golden Ball. Each coach has the chance to win a wild card pick for T&T GK Kimika Forbes

The Real G. Merrique
6h6 hours ago
.@cnewslive WPL DRAFT: WAVEEE...Golden Ball pick Kimika Forbes along with Cordner and Duncan are the core players of that team!

Congratulations to the top 10
The rest will be advised over the weekend
Read more on Twitter #WPLTT

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
I hear the first game would be at St James barracks.ah probably hear wrong

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
it really doesn't help our young players especially those who want to go to university as it has a direct impact on their countable experience when it comes to eligibility.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »
it really doesn't help our young players especially those who want to go to university as it has a direct impact on their countable experience when it comes to eligibility.

From all the reading I have been doing one team is designated for those type of players so their eligibility will stay in tact should they decide they want to pursue an education

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »
That might still backfire because the NAIA clearinghouse looks at "countable experience" in their minds the look at who is in playing in the league and will say that playing against pros and excollege players will give those players a competitive advantage. The NCAA in this instance especially at a DI level might be more forgiving.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »
That might still backfire because the NAIA clearinghouse looks at "countable experience" in their minds the look at who is in playing in the league and will say that playing against pros and excollege players will give those players a competitive advantage. The NCAA in this instance especially at a DI level might be more forgiving.

Girls are not allowed to play alongside professionals. However, they can play AGAINST professionals. Hence all of the scholars are in the "Oilers" team

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »
The operative word is countable experience. They are still playing in a league with pros and even though they hold amateur status the experience they gain puts them at an advantage over those coming straight out of high school.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2015, 01:53:26 AM »
King leads WPL draft
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

Senior national women’s team defender Arin King was yesterday revealed as the first pick in the first of a two-round initial draft for the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL), which is set to start on Thursday.

Yesterday’s draft was staged at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain, during which the franchise names and their coaches were revealed.

King was one of five top senior national women’s team “marquee players” selected for the first round. King, who recovered fully form an injury sustained in the US some months ago, will represent the franchise, Dragons, with Costa Rican Carla Aleman and England-born T&T resident Joanne Daniel leading the team as coaches. England’s Isabella Hayes joined King after being picked in the second round of the draft.

Also selected for the first round were national players Kennya “”Ya Ya” Cordner and Tasha St Louis (forwards), winger Ahkeela Mollon and T&T captain and midfielder, Maylee Attin-Johnson. Jamaicans Christina Murray, Shakira Duncan, Jodi Ann McGregor and the US Virgin Islands’ Emily Marie Cota were all named in the second round of the draft.

The other franchises named are: Oilers, Fuego, Rush, Wave FC and Angels.

Oilers, the franchise designed as a development team of players with competition restrictions by NCAA rules, did not participate in the selection of players. Oilers are led by national women’s Under-15 head coach Rajesh Latchoo and Arnold Murphy. That team is expected to comprise mainly national U-20 and senior team players attached to US colleges.

Police FC and Fatima College coach Richard Hood and Joel Warrick will coach Fuego, along with St Louis and Murray. Former senior national women’s team coach Marlon Charles leads Rush with the two picks Mollon and Cota.

Coaching Angels are Anthony Creece and Jinelle Noel lead with along with Attin-Johnson and McGregor.

Derek Arneaud and Allistair Ramdoo are Wave FC’s coaches. They picked Cordner, T&T’s leading scorer in recent years and Duncan, a standout for the Jamaica national women‘s team.

National goalkeeper Kimika Forbes was a surprise inclusion outside of the draft and was picked by a separate random draw to represent Wave.

Minister of Sport Brent Sancho, who spearheaded the inaugural tournament, gave the opening address, during which he used the opportunity, given the announcement of the date for the general elections, to call for a separation of sports and politics.

He said the franchises will be complete with their players in the coming day when an internal draft takes place. The final squads are expected to be announced by Monday.

Some of the international players, including those from Brazil, are yet to arrive in the country. The visiting players are based at Chancellor Hotel, St Ann’s, one of the official sponsors of the tournament. Caribbean Airlines and Shanghai Construction are other major sponsors.

The fixtures are yet to be finalized. However, Sancho announced that the league will kick off with a double-header at the St James Barracks on Thursday.

T&T WPL 2015 Franchises

Oilers

Coaches: Rajesh Latchoo, Arnold Murphy. No drafted players.

Fuego

Coaches: Richard Hood, Joel Warrick

Drafted players: Tasha St Louis (first round), Christina Murray (second round).

Rush

Coach: Marlon Charles

Drafted players: Ahkeela Mollon (first round), Emily Marie Cota (second round).

Dragons

Coaches: Karla Aleman, Joanne Daniel.

Drafted players: Arin King (first round), Isabella Hayes (second round).

Wave FC

Coaches: Derek Arneaud, Alistair Ramdoo

Drafted players: Kennya Cordner (first round), Shakira Duncan (second round), Kimika Forbes (additional random draw).

Angels

Coaches: Anthony Creece, Jinelle Noel.

Drafted players: Maylee Attin-Johnson (first round), Jodi Ann McGregor (second round).

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
so whats the update on the draft?
fixtures?

thought the draft was completed this weekend no?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
Good idea, bad execution
By Ian Prescott (Express).

WPL secrets

Government funds to the tune of $1.7-million have already been committed to a hastily arranged Women Premier League (WPL). But just try getting any information about the new professional female football competition, carded to begin soon. Everything about the WPL is seemingly a secret.

The free of charge six-team WPL tournament is due to kick off on Thursday, with a double header at the St James Police Barracks. Yet, there were no named teams named until last Friday, when a draft was announced. Even then, only just two marquee players were named per team.

Players like T&T’s Arin King, Kennya Cordner and Ahkeela Mollon, Jamaicans Jodi McGregor and Shakira Duncan were announced as marquee players, but no one knew the other players comprising each team. No one has seen a match fixture, and even when the teams are finally organised, it gives them but a few days to prepare for what is supposed to be a professional competition. Even teams from the amateur Women League Football (WoLF) competition take a few months to prepare.

The only confirmed WPL Board members are two employees of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago and the acting permanent secretary in the Ministry of Sport. So, should the Sport Ministry be promoters of football, as in the case of WPL, or remain facilitators of sport, while leaving promotion to the traditional sporting bodies?

Minister of Sport Brent Sancho is not a Board member, but has taken credit for its creation. It begs the question, should the Sport Ministry be “pushing” a women’s league of which its employees are the Board, and the Sport Minister is its intellectual creator?

And, is there a conflict of interest, given that both (Sport Minister) Sancho and his “special adviser” and business partner, Englishman Kevin Harrison, who have close association with Central FC, which has a women’s football team.

Central FC’s website still list Minister Sancho as managing director, and Harrison as operations manager -– not that either are contractually linked with the WPL.

WPL may turn out to be a great opportunity for local women footballers to play a higher standard of the game. But it all seem rushed.

The WPL has been shrouded in the same secrecy indicative of the infamous and now stagnanted Life Sport programme in its early days. No one, it seems, knew what the new WPL was about, or who are really behind it. At least, no one is willing to talk.

The one thing for sure is that they have a gmail address: info.wpltt@gmail.com.

Since announcing the competition, Minister Sancho is most times unreachable. Most communication comes from Natasha Nunez, who denies that she is the voice of the WPL.

“I am the public relations officer of the Sports Company, but because some of the principals of the WPL work at the Sports Company, I am assisting in some regard,” said Nunez, who pledged to e-mail some information in the composition of the Board and the impending competition.

Two dates later, and after another request, Nunez provided the Board members in a brief text: “The Board of Directors of the registered non-profit organisation Womens Premier League Trinidad and Tobago are: Camara David, Kairon Serrette, Richard Oliver, and one representative each of the TTFA and WoLF, who are to be confirmed later this month,” Nunez’s text stated.

Telephone enquiries to Oliver, acting deputy secretary in the Ministry of Sport, never got past his secretary, who said he was in a conference call with the Minister. “He said you could speak to Kairon (Serrette) or Kamara (David) at the Sport Company for further information,” she said.

Several calls to David and Serrette at the Sport Company went unanswered, the last response from the operator at the Sports Company 623-1954) being: “I transferred the call, but he (Kairon Serrette) was not at his desk.

So the rushed, disorganised, WPL appears destined to get off the ground. But, will it be only a one-hit wonder, should its “creator” not be in a position of influence after the September 7 general election.

1]; } ?>