March 29, 2024, 08:00:53 AM

Author Topic: TT Women’s Premier League (WPL) Thread.  (Read 20366 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: TT Women’s Premier League (WPL) Thread.
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2015, 02:07:35 AM »
King vs St Louis as WPL kicks off.
By ASHFORD JACKMAN (NEWSDAY).

NATIONAL WOMEN’S Player of the Year 2014, defender Arin King will face off against experienced TT midfielder/striker Tasha St Louis when professional women’s football comes to TT in the form of the Women’s Premier League (WPL), the kick-off for which is tomorrow.

Four days after the draft ceremony for first and second-round picks, the final rosters for five of the six teams were released yesterday, leaving only the Oilers, the league development team that will have no professionals among their ranks, to name their squad.

The league, sponsored by a combination of the Shanghai Construction Group, Caribbean Airlines, The Chancellor Hotel, Bankers Insurance Limited, Blue Waters and Digicel will be played -off primarily on small grounds in municipal areas, part of a bid to develop and retain community interest.

King and two other TT players, Dernelle Mascall and Lauryn Hutchinson will turn out with the Dragons against St Louis, Patrice Superville and Jo-Marie Lewis and the Fuego, in the first match of the season-opening double-header at the Police Academy Ground (the St James Barracks).

The match will kick off at 5 pm, following which Wave, featuring TT captain and midfielder Maylee Attin-Johnson and national teammates Anique Walker and Ayanna Russell, will clash with Wave FC, the team for which TT goalkeeper Kimika Forbes and striker Kennya Cordner will be playing for. Entry for opening doubleheader, as for all games in the WPL, is free.

Of great interest for fans will be how quickly and well the many players brought in from other Caribbean states and as far as the United Kingdom can adapt to the conditions in TT, not the least of which will be the playing surfaces.

Some of the coaching personnel are also foreign — Dragons’ coach Karla Aleman hails from Costa Rica and, in the Rush outfit, the assistant to former TT Women’s coach Marlon Charles is Brasilian Ademir Braz de Oliveira. The Dragons and Fuego have so far named 16 players each; Rush and Wave FC have announced 14 women in their respective squads to date, and Angels have the largest roster so far, 17 players under coach Richard Hood and his assistant Joel Warrick.

And, while the Oilers will rely entirely on student-athletes, they will not lack for funding; fittingly, State-owned oil company Petrotrin, according to the WPL, has bought the franchise “in furtherance of their commitment to youth development in football.”

In the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s, Petrotrin boasted one of the most powerful and successful clubs in the top tier of men’s football.

The WPL is now hoping that, having laid the table, TT’s sporting public will come out and partake. The opening matches have been deliberately set on the evening before the Labour Day holiday, in anticipation that fans will come out in large numbers, knowing the long weekend will follow.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »
I probably missing something. when last you'll hear a game playing at the St James barracks. Did that field dramatically improve? do they have changing facilities there?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:50:00 AM by royal »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
So it have 5 teams?

So one team will be inactive once a week for 6 weeks.

Ent they couldn't pair them up with a T&T national team as Flex suggested?, de under 20 or even de uner 17?

Alyssa Budhoo on Angels side is from Guyana not Canada.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:51:49 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
So it have 5 teams?

Ent they couldn't pair them up with a T&T national team a Flex suggested?, de under 20 or even de uner 17?

6 teams: 5 franchises plus the developmental team including scholars, sponsored by Petrotrin hence The Oilers.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
So it have 5 teams?

Ent they couldn't pair them up with a T&T national team a Flex suggested?, de under 20 or even de uner 17?

6 teams: 5 franchises plus the developmental team including scholars, sponsored by Petrotrin hence The Oilers.

Good.

Woulda like to know de roster for de developmental team?

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2015, 10:00:55 AM »
So it have 5 teams?

Good.

Woulda like to know de roster for de developmental team?

Budhoo was born in Canada , she lives in Toronto however her  parents are Guyanese.
She played with Guyana in 2011 on their squad. I hope she is still involved with them for the upcoming CFU Olympic qualifying as Guyana has put the senior women's team together as she is an impact player with them.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2015, 10:10:54 AM »
Arin King was born in Canada too but is listed as a T&T national.

I am sure she is decent.

Anybody know anything about them Brazilian players?

How we scouted them and who they played for or we just pick players because they from Brazil?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:13:19 AM by Sam »

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
I probably missing something. when last you'll hear a game playing at the St James barracks. Did that field dramatically improve? do they have changing facilities there?

Nope you didnt miss anything

ppl will probably change in one of the buildings inside the police barracks

The field is sub-par.
hopefully the recent weather has improved it somewhat but it's nowhere near a stadium type field

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »
Arin King was born in Canada too but is listed as a T&T national.

I am sure she is decent.

Anybody know anything about them Brazilian players?

How we scouted them and who they played for or we just pick players because they from Brazil?

LMFAO  :rotfl:

She must be a little bit decent if she managed to win female player of the year and be nominated for female athlete of the year too.

They will allow anyone to post anything on Wikipedia listed as a T&T national.  ;D
Born in Toronto to a Trinidadian mom and Canadian dad.
I believe everything I read on the internet and especially this forum  :bs:

I like the Dragon team with a South American coach and the majority of the squad ismostly South Americans on the roster. We should see a nice brand of football from them.

Haven't seen an Oiler line-up yet , anyone have an FYI tidbits about that squad ??

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
Why is the MoS not transparent with respect to governance of the WPL given the transparency requirement and expectation it has for constituent national sporting organizations? Because not all animals are created equal? Because some animals are more equal than others?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Why is the MoS not transparent with respect to governance of the WPL given the transparency requirement and expectation it has for constituent national sporting organizations? Because not all animals are created equal? Because some animals are more equal than others?

Have you asked the MoS or the WPL? And don't keep assuming I am their spokesman, because as I explained, I am not! Write to them for info.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »

Have you asked the MoS or the WPL? And don't keep assuming I am their spokesman, because as I explained, I am not! Write to them for info.

These are valid questions for public ventilation.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
Doh hurt yuh head, FS. Iz all good. For the time being, I will suspend further questions regarding Company #1671037 incorporated on May 8, 2015.

Why is it that an entity with a long announced start date of mid-May ends up being incorporated on May 8, 2015?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »

So, write and ask!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »

It has also been difficult to dissect when you are posting/acting in a public capacity (spokesperson, if you will) versus merely in a private capacity because the content of your communications carry weight once rendered ... and impact official and unofficial opinion ... and (likely) stimulate official responses.

Also, this confounds the notion that you are completely walled off from effecting outcomes, despite your assertion of lacking day to day involvement ... when the reality is that you have a dog in the fight and an influential function in effectuating outcomes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:27:26 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »

So, write and ask!!

As has been well-documented, neither entity has established a credible track record of responsiveness. Take your licks in public.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »
Ministry not an ATM
By COREY CONNELLY (Newsday).

Brent Sancho says transparency and accountability will be the hallmark of his stewardship as Minister of Sport in the People’s Partnership Government.

Can anyone else read this? Because some people seemingly are having a hard time coming to terms with the script.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
It's funny to see people's conduct and reactions when they on the hot seat and not the other way around.

Should be informative for all parties
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
Governance is a different matter from campaigning... uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:11:02 PM by Bakes »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »

Nope you didnt miss anything

ppl will probably change in one of the buildings inside the police barracks

The field is sub-par.
hopefully the recent weather has improved it somewhat but it's nowhere near a stadium type field

Now Police barracks has about 3 sporting fields. The hockey field on Western MR, a football field on Long Circular just before old PSA and a field inside the barracks. They play cricket there also. Are they playing Long Circular or inside the barracks?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2015, 11:06:58 PM »
not sure if they hv lights on the inside field
but there are lights on the outside field so....
and that field has hosted quite a few night games over the last year.

Doubt it will be the inside field as that only really happens when  a Police sport team is playing

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2015, 04:47:32 AM »
not sure if they hv lights on the inside field
but there are lights on the outside field so....
and that field has hosted quite a few night games over the last year.

Doubt it will be the inside field as that only really happens when  a Police sport team is playing

It's the field by WMR. Looks pretty good. Gonna be traffic jams with people slowing down to see what's happening! It will be a nice vibe.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »
where they usually play hockey??
they have lights there???

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2015, 07:15:18 AM »
where they usually play hockey??
they have lights there???

Yes. Field is pretty good, but the corners needed some work and are a little bare!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
They not playing like new teams who haven't practiced strange enough.

Boom 1 - 1 Shanghai
Tasha.         #9 from UK

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Boom 2 - 1 Shanghai
Tasha 2nd from penalty spot

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
Dragons 3 (Isabella Hayes 2’, Lauryn Hutchinson 55’ (pk), Jessica Adams 71’) - Fuego 5 (Tasha St. Louis 19’, 30’ (pk), Saucedo 52’, Jo Marie Lewis 60’, 62’)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
what is the crowd like?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2015, 08:14:42 PM »
maybe 100-200 ppl maybe

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
field was the one on western main road as stated
it looked pretty good considering the dry weather we been having until recently
it just is probably too narrow but the setup looked good other than a pair of lights that may hv been poorly positioned cause they were too low

the first game was scrappy
not much buildup but didnt lack goals

i left the 2nd game with maylee's team up 2-0 from a double by her

1st goal was a GK blunder by the TT national keeper...kicked it straight to maylee who slotted it home
those 2 teams look much better.

Angels looked the part especially
their RB...indian looking girl #7 was aggressive
and their stopper was impressive...think she is from the US ...#8

Duncan...the striker from jamaica is fast as hell...will do some damage with yaya (if she has learned to be less greedy hopefully)
vibe was nice...
hopeuflly better quality as the tourney continues

1]; } ?>