March 28, 2024, 03:36:26 AM

Author Topic: TT Women’s Premier League (WPL) Thread.  (Read 20333 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maylee and St Louis shine as Angels and Fuego take early WPL honours
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »
Sancho and the MOS ceeates a football league for women in the country that could have far reaching benefit for women in the region and possibly the world. If that happens and this league takes off, Tim Tee must resign. He and his office are useless. By the way, did he show up at the inauguration of the league? Probably not.

You know what was also created by Ministry of Sport with the aim of it having far reaching benefits to the community and possibly the world? LIFESPORT

Ok, so lets shut down MoS shall we? But on your logic alone, there should no longer be a TTFA, right? And people keep harping on about transparency etc yet those same people happy that TTFF/A have no audits since 2008.

This statement has to be a barometer of frustration rather than of fact. As one who beat the drum call for transparency, I have to ask who on this forum could possibly have been satisfied with the absence of fiscal transparency at the TTFF/A?  :shameonyou:

:)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
As you would know from your sources, TTFA submit requests for funding for national team games. None had been received by "Sanko" when he decided to create WPL. In fact, there had not even been a training session for the girls. Your second question is just plain dumb given that he was a national team player and launched a team that became Caribbean Club Champions.

Okay, maybe it's dumb as you say, but I'm trying hard to follow the logic here: he didn't consult the TTFA on what their plans for the preparations for the women were, but because he didn't get any funding requests, he felt it was his duty to step in and ensure the women got some prep games. Meanwhile, funding requests wee submitted for the preparation of the Men's participation in the Gold Cup and Sancho didn't see it fit to release the funding for the men. Is he not concerned with the men's program, or payment of the coaching staff? Since you think the question was dumb, maybe you can help explain this to us.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
Ok, so lets shut down MoS shall we? But on your logic alone, there should no longer be a TTFA, right? And people keep harping on about transparency etc yet those same people happy that TTFF/A have no audits since 2008.

Can you name some of these people you're referring to? Presumably you're referring to yourself as well, since by your own account there are "good reasons" why the TTFA gave not produced the audits.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
As you would know from your sources, TTFA submit requests for funding for national team games. None had been received by "Sanko" when he decided to create WPL. In fact, there had not even been a training session for the girls. Your second question is just plain dumb given that he was a national team player and launched a team that became Caribbean Club Champions.

Okay, maybe it's dumb as you say, but I'm trying hard to follow the logic here: he didn't consult the TTFA on what their plans for the preparations for the women were, but because he didn't get any funding requests, he felt it was his duty to step in and ensure the women got some prep games. Meanwhile, funding requests wee submitted for the preparation of the Men's participation in the Gold Cup and Sancho didn't see it fit to release the funding for the men. Is he not concerned with the men's program, or payment of the coaching staff? Since you think the question was dumb, maybe you can help explain this to us.

Sancho didn't see it fit to release the funding for the men.  So how did the Panama, Curacao and Jordan games come about, prey tell? And who says he didn't consult with TTFA?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2015, 09:18:38 PM »

Can you name some of these people you're referring to? Presumably you're referring to yourself as well, since by your own account there are "good reasons" why the TTFA gave not produced the audits.

Put it this way, people on this forum, particularly yourself, have been frequently criticizing Sancho for requesting TTFA accounts, not so? Yes, there are, in my opinion, good reasons why TTFA did not produce audits for 2013 & 2014. But they are the same reasons that were there 3 years ago when Tim-Kee took office. It's taken Sancho 3 months to get a work around that Tim-Kee couldn't (or wouldn't) order in 3 years. No additional cost, just common sense. Yet I haven't seen the same level of intensity towards the TTFA to be transparent and accountable. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
Sancho and the MOS ceeates a football league for women in the country that could have far reaching benefit for women in the region and possibly the world. If that happens and this league takes off, Tim Tee must resign. He and his office are useless. By the way, did he show up at the inauguration of the league? Probably not.

You know what was also created by Ministry of Sport with the aim of it having far reaching benefits to the community and possibly the world? LIFESPORT

This statement has to be a barometer of frustration rather than of fact. As one who beat the drum call for transparency, I have to ask who on this forum could possibly have been satisfied with the absence of fiscal transparency at the TTFF/A?  :shameonyou:

:)

Bakes for one. He keeps going on about Sancho allegedly holding back payments until accounts are (unfairly) produced. No audits since 2008, yet, magically Sancho has found a way for them to produce some figures. (Not full audits, but enough to nod a head to accountability)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »
Sancho didn't see it fit to release the funding for the men.  So how did the Panama, Curacao and Jordan games come about, prey tell? And who says he didn't consult with TTFA?

As much as you look the part and as good as you are in the role.... don't play the ass.  Funding for the prep games was only disbursed after the manufactured impasse over the audits was settled.  I asked you point blank whether he consulted with the TTFA regarding the preparation of the womens team and you responded with some obfuscation about there not being any funding requests and blah blah blah.  In fact I know for fact he did not consult with the FA what their plans for the women's participation in the Pan Am games were, I just wanted to see whether you possessed the requisite candor to admit that he did not.

Put it this way, people on this forum, particularly yourself, have been frequently criticizing Sancho for requesting TTFA accounts, not so? Yes, there are, in my opinion, good reasons why TTFA did not produce audits for 2013 & 2014. But they are the same reasons that were there 3 years ago when Tim-Kee took office. It's taken Sancho 3 months to get a work around that Tim-Kee couldn't (or wouldn't) order in 3 years. No additional cost, just common sense. Yet I haven't seen the same level of intensity towards the TTFA to be transparent and accountable. 

I'll take that as a 'no'... you cannot name anyone who was happy that the TTFA did not produce any audits, and you continue to reveal yourself to be befuddled where this issue is concerned.  I've stated on more than one occasion that any request of the TTFA that they produde audits is fair... I assume you sufficiently understand plain, simple English to appreciate the meaning of that statement.  I've also stated on numerous occasions that my issue was more with how Sancho went about the process: 1) In a heavy-handed fashion; 2) Unilaterally deciding the FA was in breach; 3) Speciously inferring intent on the parts of the drafters of the Cabinet note, that the FA produce these audits before (since you apparently don't understand the meaning of 'prospectively') the disbursement of funds; 4) Litigating the dispute in the press, rather than diplomatically behind closed doors; and 5) Needlessly fomenting discord in the camp and potentially sabotaging the team's preparation for the Pan Am Games.

Yet despite all of this, you prefer to disingenuously claim that I am "happy" that the TTFA produced no audits dating back to 2008.  As I told you last week in response to your private message to me, this penchant for lies, half-truths and misrepresentations is why I have a growing lack of respect for both you and for Sancho.  You both harp on "transparency and accountability" yet are happy strangers to both when it best suits you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »

As much as you look the part and as good as you are in the role.... don't play the ass.  Funding for the prep games was only disbursed after the manufactured impasse over the audits was settled.  I asked you point blank whether he consulted with the TTFA regarding the preparation of the womens team and you responded with some obfuscation about there not being any funding requests and blah blah blah.  In fact I know for fact he did not consult with the FA what their plans for the women's participation in the Pan Am games were, I just wanted to see whether you possessed the requisite candor to admit that he did not.

I'll take that as a 'no'... you cannot name anyone who was happy that the TTFA did not produce any audits, and you continue to reveal yourself to be befuddled where this issue is concerned.  I've stated on more than one occasion that any request of the TTFA that they produde audits is fair... I assume you sufficiently understand plain, simple English to appreciate the meaning of that statement.  I've also stated on numerous occasions that my issue was more with how Sancho went about the process: 1) In a heavy-handed fashion; 2) Unilaterally deciding the FA was in breach; 3) Speciously inferring intent on the parts of the drafters of the Cabinet note, that the FA produce these audits before (since you apparently don't understand the meaning of 'prospectively') the disbursement of funds; 4) Litigating the dispute in the press, rather than diplomatically behind closed doors; and 5) Needlessly fomenting discord in the camp and potentially sabotaging the team's preparation for the Pan Am Games.

Yet despite all of this, you prefer to disingenuously claim that I am "happy" that the TTFA produced no audits dating back to 2008.  As I told you last week in response to your private message to me, this penchant for lies, half-truths and misrepresentations is why I have a growing lack of respect for both you and for Sancho.  You both harp on "transparency and accountability" yet are happy strangers to both when it best suits you.

You're so damn boring, labouring a point until everyone loses the will to live. After all of your talk, you still didn't answer when would it have been prudent to request the accounts. You can twist and twist, but the fact is that TTFA did nothing for women from December to March. And nobody from TTFA came running to the Ministry after WPL was floated as an idea with the TTFA blueprint for women. Even at the open discussion forum in early March, Sheldon didn't come forth with any details of preparation. Even when Sancho tried to arrange a game with Colombia alongside the SMT game vs Colombia, nothing was mentioned. In future, and here's a tip you can pass on to your boss, if you have plans, all funded and confirmed, why not share them with your number one sponsor?

You both harp on "transparency and accountability" yet are happy strangers to both when it best suits you.  As apposed to you who twists every syllable to defend the undefendable. So, here's a question: What plans does Tim-Kee have for U15's, U17's, U20's, Futsol, Beach Football and womens football moving forward? What about football for differently abled people? What is TTFA doing about their league, Super League? Who are the sponsors? What about F.A,Trophy?

Fact is, your boy Tim-Kee only cares about being photographed with international royalty and big wigs while football is obscenely ignored. Remind you of anyone in the past? Yet you would rather focus on criticising Sancho than Tim-Kee. More fool you.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »
I'm reading this thing and it's rife with pettiness and ego... I, we, me do this and them ent doing nutten. How is organizing a football competition the responsibility of the MOS? Further if the National football governing body doesn't sanction the League, then all participants can possibly face a ban. If they have sanctioned it, then they would have done their part.... sigh.... What is the MOS doing for sports in Tobago? How does Tobago benefit from the WPL? How many of our players are "exposed" to development...  ;D ;D ;D... listen... alyuh have a happy father's day eh!
Live large and prosper!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
I'm reading this thing and it's rife with pettiness and ego... I, we, me do this and them ent doing nutten. How is organizing a football competition the responsibility of the MOS? Further if the National football governing body doesn't sanction the League, then all participants can possibly face a ban. If they have sanctioned it, then they would have done their part.... sigh.... What is the MOS doing for sports in Tobago? How does Tobago benefit from the WPL? How many of our players are "exposed" to development...  ;D ;D ;D... listen... alyuh have a happy father's day eh!

WPL is sanctioned by TTFA.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Only two Tobago female footballers in Women's Premier League
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »
Tobago News

Only two women players from Tobago are participating in the inaugural Women's Premier League (WPL).

They are; prolific goal scorer for the National team, Kennya ‘Ya Ya’ Cordner and Kimica Forbes. Both are playing for Wave FC, one of the six franchises in the League and went as franchise players during the draft. Efforts by Tobago News to find out the reason why Kimica’s sister Karyn was not in the draft, proved futile up to press time.

Competition kicked off on Thursday at the St James Barracks with a double header featuring Dragons and Fuego and Wave and Angels.

While the majority of players are from Trinidad there are about thirty foreign players from the Caribbean, Brazil, Great Britain, Canada and the United States Virgin Islands and the USA in the cast.

The League is an initiative of Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho and SPROTT via the Ministry of Sport is the platinum sponsor, but business entities like Shanghai Construction Group, Caribbean Airlines, The Chancellor Hotel, Bankers Insurance Ltd, Blue Waters and Digicel are also on board.

Tobago News spoke to Corbin Cooper, who coaches Atomic Chicas Women Football team and is one of the most committed women coach on the island on the launch of the League.

Corbin said that while the League was a positive step for women football in T&T, he is very disappointed that only two Tobago players are in the franchises and Tobago was not given a franchise. He said that a franchise for Tobago would have assisted in fast forwarding the development of the women’s programme on the island.

Cooper said that he was the lone voice on the island trying to get a franchise for Tobago, but his efforts were in vain.

Cooper said that he was in contact with Minister Sancho and a screening session was supposed to be conducted in Tobago, but that fell through. He was later told to send five players for screening but that too failed to materialise.

Tobago News made numerous efforts over the last two weeks to contact Minister Sancho for a comment on the situation but was unsuccessful.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT Women’s Premier League (WPL) Thread.
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
Tobago News

Only two women players from Tobago are participating in the inaugural Women's Premier League (WPL).

:banginghead: :banginghead: :banginghead:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2015, 05:14:13 AM »
Wave to name WPL owners by Wednesday
T&T Guardian Reports.

Five franchise holders, Petrotrin, Chancellor Hotel, Shanghai Construction Group International (SCG), CNG Company of T&T, and Boom Champions 94.1 have already been made public since recent start to the Women’s Premier League (WPL) while the last holder for the franchise, Wave, is set to be announced in time for Wednesday’s lone fixture.

According to WPL board member, Camara David, who is also an employee at the Sport Company of T&T (SporTT), the last franchise has secured an owner but the company will be not be named until today or by Wednesday.

The league kicked off on Thursday with a double-header at the Police Barracks in St James, the same venue set to host the lone match on Wednesday when Rush and Petrotrin Oilers clash in their debuts from 6 pm.

With two goals each from national midfielder Tasha St Louis and T&T’s 2010 U-17 World Cup player, Jo-Marie Lewis, Boom Champions Fuego trumped SCG Dragons 5-3, while Chancellor Angels—led by another brace from national skipper Maylee Attin-Johnson—eased past Wave 3-0.

Wednesday’s match will see the balance of drafted national youth and senior team players in action for the lone franchise dedicated to players with NCAA restrictions, Petrotrin Oilers. They face off against a CNGC Rush team that boasts the likes of T&T’s nifty winger Ahkeela Mollon, one of the most recognised woman footballers in the region, along with other top national players, Rhea Belgrave and Janine Francois, second round draft pick, Emily Cota, who starts in goal for the US Virgin Islands and other quality players. That team is led by Marlon Charles, who was replaced by Randy Waldrum as T&T women’s team head coach prior to T&T final stage of Fifa Women’s World Cup qualifiers last year.

His opposite number on the day will be Rajesh Latchoo, T&T’s women U-15 head coach, who was given the assignment of leading Petrotrin Oilers for the tournament.

After Wednesday, Petrotrin Oilers will return to action on Saturday in one of the two double-header matches carded to play at the Palo Seco Velodrome.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »

Correct. But, isn't doc's point that the WPL/MoS needed the TTFA's stamp of approval and hence the TTFA contributed to the WPL in a sense?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2015, 08:17:24 AM »

FS, comment on this would be helpful also ... especially in light of the Tobago News article above regarding the presence of only two Tobago players in the WPL.

Is that true? Is it false? What should we know?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:20:06 AM by asylumseeker »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

Correct. But, isn't doc's point that the WPL/MoS needed the TTFA's stamp of approval and hence the TTFA contributed to the WPL in a sense?

Yes, TTFA contributed. They and WoLF have representatives on the WPL board as well.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »

FS, comment on this would be helpful also ... especially in light of the Tobago News article above regarding the presence of only two Tobago players in the WPL.

As far as I recall THA were invited to sponsor a Tobago team. I'm not sure, but I think they were stretched due to the Legends tournament. It wasn't practical to have a Tobago only team based in T&T. I'm not sure why the try outs didn't happen. But I do believe that some WPL games will be played in Tobago, at least that was the plan. I will follow up and see if that's still happening. 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2015, 01:53:04 AM »
WPL continues today
T&T Express Reports.

Eleven goals were scored on the opening night last week in the opening matches of the Women's Premier League. The competition returns to St James Barracks today, as the Petrotrin Oilers are set to take on Rush.

Both teams had to wait an extra week for their opening run out, as they round up matchday one in the second match of the double-header at the Barracks. The opening match will feature Queen's Park Cricket Club, who are trying to reel in a rampant Real Dimension in the Women's League Football (WoLF). QPCC will be hoping to improve from a laboured albeit victorious performance against Diego Martin Central last Saturday.

The Oilers, are a developmental team, which means that their players will not be compensated thus keeping within the margins of the college rules in the US. The players are mostly college players as well as national team members and include the Debesette twins and Karyn Forbes, as well as up-and-coming athletes like Keri Myers, Shalette Alexander, Victoria Swift and Shanelle Henry and American Stephanie Bonilla.

Rush on the other hand feature live-wire local striker, Mariah Shade, who impressed in an unofficial friendly at the Hasely Crawford Stadium a week before the WPL kicked off. Most of the team are locals, and they can look to the skills of Ahkeela "Lady Latapy" Mollon to spur them forward in the attack. Among their foreign contingent, Bruna Marchiowatti and Priscilla Selau, both of Brazil will be players to watch. The match kicks off at 6pm at the St. James Barracks, where admission is free to the public.

Today's WPL teams:

PETROTRIN OILERS

1 Shalette ALEXANDER (GK), 2 Tamara JOHNSON, 4 Tisha BELFON, 5 Karyn FORBES, 6 Khadisha DEBESSETTE, 7 Denecia PRINCE, 8 Victoria SWIFT, 9 Stephanie BONILLA, 10 Naomie GUERRA, 11 Khadidra DEBESSETTE, 12 Kayla TAYLOR, 13 Shenelle HENRY, 14 Chevonne JOHN, 15 Shenelle ARJOON, 18 Rinelle FINDLEY, 19 Ray-Ann MONTANO, 20 Shanice HAYNES, 21 Keri MEYERS (GK), 23 Collette MORGAN

CNGC RUSH

1 Emily Marie Cota (GK), 2 Bruna MARCHIOWATTI, 3 Adeka SPENCE, 4 Rhea BELGRAVE, 5 Annalis CUMMINGS, 6 Tamika ISAAC, 7 Priscilla SELAU, 8 Nubiluz RANGEL, 9 Chrisbelis ABRAHAM, 10 Mariah SHADE, 11 Janine FRANCOIS, 12 Ahkeela MOLLON, 13 Afeisha MOHAMMED, 14 Janelle MC GEE, 15 Joyce MATTOS, 16 Nadia JAMES, 21 Nicole MITCHELL (GK)

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2015, 07:02:39 AM »

As far as I recall THA were invited to sponsor a Tobago team. I'm not sure, but I think they were stretched due to the Legends tournament. It wasn't practical to have a Tobago only team based in T&T. I'm not sure why the try outs didn't happen. But I do believe that some WPL games will be played in Tobago, at least that was the plan. I will follow up and see if that's still happening. 

At the end of the day, whether the number is two (or a token "send five"), Tobago has been neglected. Points to a structural problem. However, I think players on the WNT from Tobago need to be consistently at the forefront of advocating on matters like this, in the trenches.

Charity begins at home.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »
Tobago has been neglected

While this is certainly true, I honestly feel if the football lovers of Tobago were serious, they would have had a team. What are the Tobago business people doing. Who own the businesses in Tobago. What are Tobagonians doing on their own to help football. Ask the govt to help? Allyuh can't be serious about that. The air bridge between the two islands is a real friggin headache for HS football, what make allyuh feel it will improve the WPL ?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:17:44 AM by Deeks »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »
Tobago has been neglected

While this is certainly true, I honestly feel if the football lovers of Tobago were serious, they would have had a team. What are the Tobago business people doing. Who own the businesses in Tobago. What are Tobagonians doing on their own to help football. Ask the govt to help? Allyuh can't be serious about that. The air bridge between the two islands is a real friggin headache for HS football, what make allyuh feel it will improve the WPL ?

There should be a Tobago team in the Pro League too, but it is very impractical. You cannot even guarantee that you would reach for the fixture (study last years events in the F.A. Trophy and Super League) The only practical way is for CAL to officially sponsor football and provide a plane specifically for teams to travel on specified days.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2015, 09:36:40 AM »
The key issue has to be presenting players from Tobago with the same opportunities as players from Trinidad.

A Tobago team might have been on the cards, but had that occurred it should have infused non-T&T players and T&T players, not exclusively players from Tobago. Also, it wasn't necessary that the "Tobago team" be based in Tobago. If non-T&T players could be housed in Trinidad, so too could players from Tobago. 

This is also a separate point from whether some of the WPL matches occurred in Tobago. Just as a WPL match could take place in St. James, one could take place in Tobago.

Also a separate issue is the inclusion of more players from Tobago. This could have been achieved without having a "Tobago team".

If part of the concern in the WPL's conceptualization was a lack of direction by the TTFA regarding women's football, why also not get a two-for and address what Tobago has identified as a lack of inclusiveness and administrative coordination by the TTFA regarding Tobago?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:39:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
SSDD.... I born and met it so, and shall die and leave it so... Separate we aspire, Together we achieve!
 ;D ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2015, 01:59:28 AM »
‘Proud’ Mollon can’t give Rush WPL win.
By Sean Taylor (Express).

Despite her own personal victory in leading her team out for their long-awaited debut in the Women's Premier League, Ahkeela Mollon was unable to finish the day with three points on the stats sheet.

CNGC Rush, captained by the mercurial national winger, fought a tooth-and-nail battle in the second half with the Petrotrin Oilers, but were unable to capitalise as the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

The WPL continued on Wednesday evening at the St James Barracks, with a double-header featuring Women's League Football (WoLF) action in the first match.

The Oilers were definitely eager early on, as their lightning-quick runs off the ball caused the Rush back line no end of problems. Kayla Taylor in particular threatened as their focal point, managing to slip her slight frame behind the Rush defence on more than one occasion.

In the early exchanges, she beat the offside trap as well as Rush goal keeper Emily Cota, her lob however dropped inches behind the crossbar instead of into the net.

The developmental team were finally rewarded when Karyn Forbes lashed a low drive from outside the area in 28th minute, after the Rush defence failed to clear a corner.

The match was poised for the Oilers to move even further ahead as they threatened to increase the lead, however Mollon and her teammates had other plans. Nine minutes before the half, Mariah Shade tapped in from close range to restore parity totally against the run of play to send both teams into the dressing room locked at 1-1.

The second session saw a revitalised Rush outfit taking the game to the Oilers, with Mollon in particular very active on the right flank. The teams however cancelled each other out.

“I don't like to make excuses, but the width of the field made it easy for the defenders,” Mollon told the media after the match. “It made it easy for defenders that like to stand up and allow the ball to come to them.”

The Rush skipper showed true character on the night considering the events 24 hours before when her car was shot up in front her home Longdenville.

“I'm proud of myself, because it was really hard,” she said regarding leading her team in spite of the incident on Tuesday evening.

“Just be to able play the 90 minutes is a testimony to how real God is and how he has been working in my life to make the player and person I am today.”

In the earlier fixture, QPCC scored three goals in a come-from-behind win over the St Ann's Rangers in the WoLF. The Rangers, whose main team had to pull out of the WoLF competition earlier in the week, still fielded their youth team in the competition.

WPL action will continue tomorrow with a double header at Palo Seco Recreation Ground. The Angels take on Fuego at 4.30 p.m. while the Oilers and Wave FC will battle for their first win in the 6 p.m. kick-off.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
When are the next round of games?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
When are the next round of games?

Wednesday 1st July at Diego Martin

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »
Rush, Oilers climb to WPL top.
T&T Guardian Reports.

CNGC Rush and Petrotrin Oilers moved to the top of the six-team inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL) standings on four points each after contrasting victories over Shanghai Construction Dragons and Wave FC respectively in a double-header at the Palo Seco Municipal Stadium, Palo Seco on Saturday.

In the opener, Rush led by Women’s Soca Warriors speedy winger Ahkeela Mollon silenced the Dragons 3-0 with goals from Venezuelan Chrisbelis Abraham in the 39th minutes and Brazil’s Priscilla Selau two minutes before national defender conceded an 85th minute own goal. The win lifted Rush, which drew its opener with the Oilers 1-1 to four points from two matches, the same as the Oilers who got a double from former national Under-17 and Under-20 striker Kayla Taylor to hold off Wave FC 3-2.

Taylor, a former standout player at Debe High School converted from the penalty-spot in the ninth minute for a 1-0 lead and six minutes later, Lulu who was the culprit in fouling Taylor for the penalty, deflected a shot from Karyn Forbes past her own goalkeeper for Oilers to lead 2-0. However, Lulu redeemed herself in the 39th minute when she scored the penalty-spot to cut the lead to 2-1, but two minutes before the half, Taylor netted her second of the match for the Oilers to go in 3-1 up at the interval.

The second-half was a much tighter contest with Patrice Vincent  scoring off a header in the 54th minute to get Rush with a goal of Oilers at 2-3, but that was as close as Rush get, as the Rajesh Latchoo-coached Southerners held on for the win and a share of the table lead.

Previous joint leaders Chancellor Angels and Boom Champions 94.1FM Fuego, both with three points each will have a chance to reclaim top spot when they clash at the Diego Martin Recreation Ground, Northern tomorrow from 8 pm.

Two hours earlier, a Women’s League Football (WoLF) fixture is expected to take place.         

Results

CNGC Rush 3 (Chrisbelis Abraham 37, Priscilla Selau 39, Lauryn Hutchinson 85 Own-Goal) vs Dragons 0

Petrotrin Oilers 3 (Kayla Taylor 9-Pen, 43, Josean Azevedo 15 Own-Goal) vs Wave FC 2 (Josean Azevedo 37-Pen, Patrice Vincent 55)

Tomorrow Fixture:

Chancellor Angels vs Boom Champions Fuego, Diego Martin Rec Ground, D/Martin, 8pm

Teams

Petrotrin Oilers: 21.Shalette Alexander; 14.Chevonne John, 5.Karyn Forbes (capt), 6.Khadisha Debesette, 18.Rinelle Findley; 10.Naomie Guerra (9.Stephanie Bonilla 80th - 2.Tamara Johnson 90th); 13.Shenelle Henry, 3.Shenelle Arjoon, 8.Victoria Swift, 11.Khadidra Debeette (7.Denecia Prince 70th); 12.Kayla Taylor.

Unused substitutes: 1.Keri Meyers (GK), 4.Shanicar Diamond, 19.Della Joseph, 24.Collette Morgan.

Coach: Rajesh Latchoo

Wave FC: 21.Teneisa Palmer; 3.Teneisha Cobham, 5.Joseane “Lulu” Azevedo (2.Samantha Kissoon 88th), 4.Jenelle Cunningham, 17.Patrice Vincent, 8.Afiyah Matthias (16.Charissa Delzin 81st), 7.Shanice Stephenson, 10.Laura Becerra, 9.Shakira Duncan, 20.Camilla Germano (6.Natasha St Louis 68th), 19.Kennya Cordner,

Unused substitutes: 13.Tisha Lee Spicer, 14.Stephanie Beam.

Coach: Derek Arneaud

Referee: Keilon Bacchus

STANDINGS

P W D L F A Pts
Rush 2 1 1 0 4 1 4
Oilers 2 1 1 0 4 3 4
Angels 1 1 0 0 3 0 3
Fuego 1 1 0 0 5 3 3
Wave 2 0 0 2 2 6 0
Dragons 2 0 0 2 3 8 0

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:24:29 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2015, 02:14:07 AM »
‘Put down the guns’
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (NEWSDAY).

NATIONAL female footballer and Women’s Premier League (WPL) standout, Akheela Mollon, has called on Trinidad and Tobago to “put down the guns” after escaping a hail of bullets in a shootout between rival gangsters in her hometown of Longdenville on Tuesday night.

Speaking via the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s YouTube channel yesterday, the 30-year-old midfielder admitted that she was still recuperating from the nerve-wrecking encounter which saw the avid footballer crawl from the bullet-riddled vehicle into her house unscathed.

The following day however, a still shaken Mollon displayed immense mental strength and laced up her Team Rush boots once more to represent her WPL club, Team Rush.

“Everyday you read about it (crime) in the newspaper,” said Mollon as she cheered on her club-mates at a training session. “Until it really hits home, then you really feel it. My appeal would be to just put the guns down because innocent lives are being taken away from us. People who could continue to impact and continue to add essence to Trinidad and Tobago are losing their lives innocently in things they know nothing about. So I would like to say just put down the guns and let us just try to live in peace and move forward from there and make Trinidad and Tobago a better place.”

Mollon, who is Trinidad and Tobago’s only female footballer to secure a European contract, added that she sometimes relives the incident in her mind. But, the slim figured athlete has opted to let faith be her guide and will not be deterred or put down by these recent happenings to her and her family.

“Coping is a bit hard mentally at times,” she added. “Just thinking of what could have been the outcome. But I’m a person with my faith so I try to keep it positive and know that God kept me for a reason. That’s why I’m out here today cheering on the girls even though I did not partake in the training session. I’m still out here just showing them that I’m alive and kicking and God will continue to use me for the red, white and black.” The former Swedish player also acknowledged the strong support she has received thus far from Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) officials, family, friends and even strangers. According to her, these words of inspiration play an instrumental role in maintaining a clear head and moving forward with a positive mind-set.

She concluded, “It’s (support) been great , especially (from) my teammates. The (WPL) team I play with, Rush, and the National (women’s) team, they all lent their support. I heard from the secretary of the TTFA (Sheldon Phillips), he extended his hand and everybody’s reaching out and I’m grateful for that. I’m really grateful for the fans on Facebook. They all sent their love and my inbox is flooded with messages of encouragement and that has helped motivate and encourage me to keep pressing forward.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2015, 02:19:14 AM »
Rush crush Dragons; Oilers edge Wave in WPL.
T&T Express Reports.

The Women's Premier League (WPL) continued over the weekend at the Palo Seco Velodrome where Wave FC and the Dragons suffered further setbacks in their WPL aspirations.

CNGC Rush and the Petrotrin Oilers – who played to a 1-1 draw on their respective WPL debuts last Wednesday – travelled to the deep south over the weekend. Rush shut out the Dragons 3-0, while the Oilers edged Wave FC 3-2.

Rush was certainly in a hurry to move to the top of the WPL standings, albeit temporarily, as they went into the lead from Chrisbelis Abraham's effort in the 37th minute. Two minutes later they doubled their lead, as Priscilla Selau also got on the score sheet. To add insult to injury, the Dragons put one into their own net near the end, to seal the deal for skipper Ahkeela Mollon and her Rush teammates.

The Oilers are proving to be one of the teams that have settled quickly, as they put Wave FC to the sword. Despite the promise Wave FC has in attack on paper, they still haven't been able to get points on the board,

Meanwhile, the Oilers went about to prove that the attacking promise they showed in the early stages of their debut in the competition was no fluke. Kayla Taylor opened the score from the penalty spot, and doubled her tally five minutes before the half. Her goals came either side of skipper Karen Forbe's item – making it her second of the campaign, after she scored the opener home against Rush last Wednesday at the St James Barracks.

Wave fought back when they reduced the Oilers advantage at 2-1, courtesy their rugged and talented Brazilian defender Josean Azevedo-- who made a promising showing against the Angels on the opening night of the inaugural competition. With the Oilers up 3-1 after Taylor’s second of her brace, Wave’s Patrice Vincent got on the score sheet in the 55th minute to make it 3-2, but they were unable to conjure up another as they suffered their second consecutive defeat; making it imperative they win their remaining three fixtures.

The WPL continues tomorrow when the Chancellor Angels take on the Boom Champions Fuego, who were rampant on the opening day against the Dragons. There will also be a match from the Women's League Football (WoLF) competition. The double header starts at 6 p.m., and will take place at the Northern Recreation Ground in Diego Martin.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »
Angels, Fuego put perfect start on the line.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Seen the Maylee Attin-Johnson-led Angels and Fuego, with Tasha St Louis at the helm, takes place at the Diego Martin Recreational Ground, (Northern Ground), Diego Martin from 8 pm.

Currently, CNGC Rush and Petrotrin Oilers sit atop the table with four points each from two matches, one more than Angels and Fuego which have only played one match each, while Shanghai Construction Dragons and Wave FC are without a point after two straight losses respectively.

Speaking on the eve of the match, Richard Hood, coach of the Fuego team, was quick to note that his team was only informed that they would not be facing Petrotrin Oilers, but the Angels instead on Monday afternoon.

He said, “We were preparing the girls technically and tactically for a clash against Oilers, but now we have to change our plans and plan for the Angels which play differently and hopefully we will be able to make the necessary adjustments in the time we have.”

Asked if the two week gap between his team’s opening match and second game today worked in his favour, Hood said it allowed him the chance to get to know the new players and also work on improving the team allround.

“In our first match which we won against the Dragons 5–3 we played some decent football and this has continued during our training sessions, but as always there is room for improvement and the girls have been accepting to the challenge.”

With regards to his opponents, Hood, a former national Under-17 women’s coach and current coach of Digicel T&T Pro League outfit, Police FC said he expects a difficult contest based on what he saw of them when they defeated WAVE FC 3–0.

“They are a very good, aggressive and have a good offensive line and we will just have to match them in every aspect of the game.”

Angels’ coach Anthony Creece, a former national Olympic team player, was also looking forward to seeing how his players respond to their long layoff from the opening night of competition at the St James Police Barracks Training Ground, St James, on June 18, a 3–0 win over Wave FC.

The St James-born Creece said, “It’s left to be seen how the girls come out because we were suppose to have a match last week, but there was a change in the schedule and now a change in opponent.”

He added, “But in general, I think they are just eager to get back out on the field of play which is a positive, but at the same time the downside is not having enough time to plan for your opponent.”

Having had two weeks to prepare Creece he was happy with the squad he had and said they are all working hard at getting the job done in each match.

With regards to opponents Fuego, Creece said like his team they had not played since the opening day and expect both teams to be somewhat excited to get back on the field as well as being a bit nervous during the early exchanges.

“They (Fuego) have a good squad from what we saw, but we will prepare as best as we can for what they have to offer and also try and execute our game play,” ended Creece.

Two hours earlier, T&T Under-17 women’s team and Defence Force will do battle in the Women’s League Football (WoLF) Premier Division clash.

Matches

Wolf Premier Division:

T&T Under-17 women vs Defence Force, Diego Martin Rec Ground, 6 pm

Women Premier League:

Angels vs Fuego, Diego Martin Rec Ground, 8 pm

Standings

Teams    P    W    D    L    F    A    Pts
CNGC Rush    2    1    1    0    4    1    4
Petrotrin Oliers    2    1    1    0    4    3    4
Chancellor Angels    1    1    0    0    3    0    3
94.1FM Fuego    1    1    0    0    5    3    3
Wave FC    2    0    0    2    2    6    0
SCG Dragons    2    0    0    2    3    8    0

Teams

Angels: Tynetta McKoy, Beth Seaman, Peta Gay Soman, Ayanna Russell, Jaclyn Poucel, Jodie Redgrave, Sharrain, Alyssa Budhoo, Tamar Watson, Jodi Ann McGregor, Kandace Franklin, Maylee Attin-Johnson (captain), Rafaela De Vargas, Bruna Da Silva

Coach: Anthony Creece (T&T)

Fuego: Tasha St Louis, Patrice Superville, Diamond Henderson, Anastacia Prescott, Jamila Mathlin, Denisha Thomas, Bernelle Shears, Nickisha James, Jo Marie Lewis, Shanelle Warrick (all Trinidad and Tobago), Christina Murray, Tanesia Vassell (both Jamaica), Saucedo, Leticia Bussato, Camila Demezio (all Brazil), Ermelindo Izquierda (Paraguay), Zaudita Kaza-Amalak (US Virgin Islands).

Coach: Richard Hood (T&T)​

1]; } ?>