March 29, 2024, 03:53:24 AM

Author Topic: Cyclone Pam could ruin West Indies' Cricket World Cup quarterfinal hopes  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cyclone Pam could ruin West Indies' Cricket World Cup quarterfinal hopes
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/67320564/cyclone-pam-could-ruin-west-indies-cricket-world-cup-quarterfinal-hopes

The West Indies are anxiously watching weather forecasts as they prepare for a pivotal Cricket World Cup match against the United Arab Emirates on Sunday.

Tropical Cyclone Pam, currently a category five superstorm, is bearing down on New Zealand's east coast, bringing gale force winds and rain, but is not expected to make landfall before Monday. The forecast for Napier on Sunday is for cloudy weather and possible showers, sending a wave of apprehension through the West Indies camp as it needs a win from the last pool match to make the quarterfinals.

"We have to play the game to give ourselves a chance, so we want sunshine," West Indies manager Richie Richardson said. "We need two points badly and we need it big."

The West Indies have four points from two wins, and lie in fifth place in Pool B, two points behind Pakistan and Ireland, who will meet in the 42nd and final match of the pool rounds in Adelaide later on Sunday. The West Indies have the best run-rate of the three teams still in contention for fourth place, and will advance with a win over UAE, at the expense of the loser of the Pakistan-Ireland match.

But they would take only a point from a washed-out match on Sunday, and that would leave them short of the quarterfinals, ensuring both Pakistan and Ireland advance.

Richardson, relying on the power of positive thinking, said "It'll be fine on Sunday." He repeated the unanimous belief of the West Indies players that, despite fluctuating form in pool play, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the knockout rounds.

"We can beat anybody in this competition, but I've said at the start of the tournament that I hope we don't peak too early," Richardson said. "We still have a sniff, but we need to back ourselves.

"We know that, given a chance, we can beat anybody. Once we get past this hurdle of UAE, then anything is possible."

The West Indies had some good news on Thursday as leading batsman Chris Gayle showed signs of recovery from a sore back. Gayle was unable to train this week, but was ready to train on Thursday before showers curtailed a net session.

Richardson said Gayle was "in good spirits" and "has no problems."

"He's like every one of us so, from time to time, he has niggles."
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The forecasts says a very low chance of precipitation for our match later today. Hope it holds.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well I guess it it's okay to treat this as an official match thread.

The West Indies have won the test and put UAE in to bat.

Holder's decision has been justified thus far as UAE are 17/3 after six overs.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UAE are 49/6 after 15 overs

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The West Indies have become unstuck again and have stopped playing in this one-dayer. They have been waiting for UAE to capitulate and of course it has not happened

UAE are 148/6

Do they not realize they are making life difficult on themselves?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
island time Kaliman, island time
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UAE have been bowled out for 175.

Absolutely inexcusable after having UAE 46/6, especially considering the lack of intensity from the West Indies bowlers after Jason Holder completed his spell.

I applaud the UAE pair of Naved and Aziz for putting on 107 for the 7th wicket, but the lack of aggressiveness from the West Indies has certainly somewhat more difficult than it has to be.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:04:40 PM by kaliman2006 »

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UAE have been bowled out for 175.

Absolutely inexcusable after having UAE 46/6, especially considering the lack of intensity from the West Indies bowlers after Jason Holder completed his spell.

I applaud the UAE pair of Naved and Aziz for putting on 107 for the 7th wicket, but the lack of aggressivity  ;D from the West Indies have certainly somewhat more difficult than it has to be.

I really like Jason Holder, he has a lot of potential to be a great captain and leader. Hope he can motivate his team to bat sensible and not throw away there wickets. Lets go West Indies!!!!
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is painful... :frustrated:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Y you want this team to make the final 8? They not good.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

In the midst of looking to hit the fours and sixes, ones, twos and threes also work well... The batsmen need to think out there although I understand that the West Indian players are eyeing the weather

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The West Indies can beat New Zealand if they progress to the quarters, but they cannot afford to switch off mentally even for a second.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So I could talk smack to my English friends  ;D

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Too many dot balls.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So I could talk smack to my English friends  ;D

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well done for the West Indies for beating UAE by 6 wickets inside 30.3 overs. Now, barring an highly improbable tie or rain, West Indies are through to the quarters to play a New Zealand team which is a well oiled machine.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Last time we were on in kiwi country their swing bowlers had a time with our batsmen, I could not have done any worse w/a few ducks.  Fellas better learn to play swing quick for Sat to be a contest
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Last time we were on in kiwi country their swing bowlers had a time with our batsmen, I could not have done any worse w/a few ducks.  Fellas better learn to play swing quick for Sat to be a contest

Short version: We cut-ass book.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Short version: We cut-ass book.

Bitter like mauby  ;D

1]; } ?>