March 28, 2024, 01:13:29 PM

Author Topic: 44th CARIFTA Games 2015: 3rd to 6th April, Kim Collins Stadium, St Kitts & Nevis  (Read 65944 times)

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hislop just won GOLD in the U18 200m .  :wavetowel:

They showed a quick look at the medal table. We are in 4th place. :cursing:  1st Jam , 2nd Bah , 3 Bar.

Seems like every year we are falling further behind:(

Tell that to Sando Prince.

He seems to think that we are improving and that our competition improving faster than us does not matter.

Once again Barbados and Bahamas has no right to be beating us at CARIFTA and for us to feel contented about it.

Sando Prince is focused on TnT improving in individual events in each discipline which will lead to more medals. Does not matter if we finish third, fourth or fith on the medal table once we improve from the previous year.

Sando I not getting between you and Soca fight but it seems to me that you are contradicting yourself.  We should be improving but we are not. And if like you said we focus on improving on individual events leading to more medals then does that not also mean that we should improve in the medal table?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
While it is certainly good to see the field athletes doing exceedingly well, it is really disappointing with track. We are poor. Sorry dey Breds.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
While it is certainly good to see the field athletes doing exceedingly well, it is really disappointing with track. We are poor. Sorry dey Breds.

Deeks you are right. Our field athletes have done really well. But we have regressed in track. We are struggling to even medal in the relays.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So what happened in the U20 200m boys final?

What happened to Farinha that caused the DNF?

Why were there only 5-6 finalists?

Why was the time so slow?

Correct me if I am wrong but I suspect the starter had something to do with it, as in the Girls U20 100m final?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
So what happened in the U20 200m boys final?

What happened to Farinha that caused the DNF?

Why were there only 5-6 finalists?

Why was the time so slow?

Correct me if I am wrong but I suspect the starter had something to do with it, as in the Girls U20 100m final?

There was a heavy down pour of rain during the race and I think the two Jamaican entrances did not turn up at their blocks for some unknown reason. I am not sure if it was weather related.

With regards to Jonathan it seems than he may have been badly affected by the rain and seems to have pulled his hamstring as he was getting round the bend just before entering the stretch.
If it’s his hammy then its a serious injury but hopefully it was a muscle cramp and not a hamstring pull.

I guess we will find out soon from the T&T medical team or Jonathan himself how bad his injury is.

I think if Jonathan did not pull up injured he could have won the gold but the rain would have meant a slower than usual time as it was for his Bajan rival who won the race in a slower than usual time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:21:52 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hislop just won GOLD in the U18 200m .  :wavetowel:

They showed a quick look at the medal table. We are in 4th place. :cursing:  1st Jam , 2nd Bah , 3 Bar.

Seems like every year we are falling further behind:(

Tell that to Sando Prince.

He seems to think that we are improving and that our competition improving faster than us does not matter.

Once again Barbados and Bahamas has no right to be beating us at CARIFTA and for us to feel contented about it.

Sando Prince is focused on TnT improving in individual events in each discipline which will lead to more medals. Does not matter if we finish third, fourth or fith on the medal table once we improve from the previous year.

Sando I not getting between you and Soca fight but it seems to me that you are contradicting yourself.  We should be improving but we are not. And if like you said we focus on improving on individual events leading to more medals then does that not also mean that we should improve in the medal table?

I am not in fight with that fellow. Just don't like folks trying to tell me what to concentrate on especially when I have a perfectly logical reason to do with our team not regressing behind our main Caribbean rivals who we should be always aiming to dominate at CARIFTA level just as Ato has been pointing out.
As it is Sando Prince's argument bears little logic because we are winning fewer medals and regressing while our main rivals are winning more medals and improving.
When you are in a competition and want to be the best in the region then you have to be concerned about beating your rivals as that is how you win and become world class and respected in many events like Jamaica has.
I personally find the situation very embarrassing for a country with our population, facilities and resources.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:31:29 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago Akanni Hislop 20.91 wins U18 Boys 200m Final Carifta Games 2015

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sUyVw1DFSN4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sUyVw1DFSN4</a>
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:33:40 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carifta Games 2015 LIVE UPDATES - Clarke again!
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »

Carifta Games 2015 LIVE UPDATES - Clarke again!
By Kwame Laurence in Basseterre
Story Updated:  Apr 6, 2015 at 7:24 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Windy 23.12 for Clarke

Kayelle Clarke made a successful defence of her girls' under-20 200 metres title. The T&T sprinter ran a wind-assisted 23.12 seconds.

Hislop clocks 20.91

Akanni Hislop struck gold in the boys' under-20 200 metres, the T&T sprinter getting to the line in 20.91 seconds.

Campbell jumps 6.86 metres

Clement Campbell earned bronze for T&T in the boys' under-18 long jump, the T&T athlete disturbing the sand at 6.86m. Jamaica finished one-two. Pakito Dudley took the gold with a wind-assisted 7.03m jump, edging Shammawi Wellington (windy 7.02m) into the silver slot.

Parris clocks windy 13.85

Jeminise Parris bagged bronze for T&T in the girls' under-20 100m hurdles. She clocked a wind-aided 13.85 seconds to trail Jamaicans Yanique Thompson (13.21) and Jeanine Williams (13.40).

Aaron Lewis was fourth in the boys' under-20 110m hurdles in a windy 13.66. And in the boys' under-18 110m hurdles, Ako Hislop finished fifth in a hand-timed 13.6 seconds.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

T&T was among the medals on the final evening of competition at the 2015 Carifta Games in St. Kitts-Nevis, headlining the closing day for T&T was Akanni Hislop in the Boys Under-18 200M and Kayelle Clarke in the Girls Under-20 version.

SPORT: CARIFTA GAMES WRAP UP:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PDKR8_GEJj8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PDKR8_GEJj8</a>
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:05:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What is T&T final medal count?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

T&T finished the Games with 22 medals—six gold, eight silver and eight bronze.

We placed 4th in medal table behind these countries:-

Jamaica was 1st with 85 medals—41 gold, 25 silver and 19 bronze
Bahamas was 2nd with 31 medals—8 gold, 13 silver and 10 bronze
Barbados was 3rd with 16 medals—7 gold, 4 silver and 5 bronze

In summary we are regressing especially when we compare ourselves with our main Caribbean rivals who are all improving.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:32:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CLARKE REPEATS ....Gold too for Hislop
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »
CLARKE REPEATS
Gold too for Hislop

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Apr 6, 2015 at 9:22 PM ECT

Kayelle Clarke successfully defends her 200m title

Kayelle Clarke repeated as Carifta Games Girls Under-20 200 metres champion, the Trinidad and Tobago athlete grabbing the gold medal with an impressive but wind-assisted 23.12 seconds run at the Kim Collins Athletic Stadium, here in Basseterre, St Kitts, yesterday.

Jamaica’s Saqukine Cameron got silver in 23.32, while bronze went to Bahamian Keianna Albury in 23.49.

After the race, an ecstatic Clarke told the Express that losing to the Jamaican in the qualifying round was not a cause for concern, ahead of the championship race.

“I knew I had enough in me to win. In the heat I just ran to put myself in position to qualify for the final.”

Akanni Hislop also struck gold, the T&T sprinter winning the Boys Under-18 200m in 20.91 seconds. Jamaican Javan Martin clocked 21.16 to snap up silver, just ahead of Bahamian Xavior Angus (21.17).

Khemani Roberts was the lone T&T medallist in yesterday’s morning session. She cleared the bar at 1.73 metres to seize silver. Jamaicans Safia Morgan (1.76m) and Shanae McKenzie (1.73m) earned gold and bronze, respectively.

On Saturday and Sunday, Roberts competed in the girls’ open heptathlon, finishing fifth with 4,281 points. She was the best high jumper on show in the seven-discipline event, going over the bar at 1.75m.

After yesterday’s high jump, Roberts told the Express gold was a distinct possibility.

“Yes, that gold could have been mine…if I had taken out the heptathlon.”

Jeminise Parris bagged bronze for T&T in yesterday’s Girls Under-20 100m hurdles. She clocked a wind-aided 13.85 seconds to trail Jamaicans Yanique Thompson (13.21) and Jeanine Williams (13.40).

Clement Campbell earned bronze in the Boys Under-18 long jump, the T&T athlete disturbing the sand at 6.86m. Again, Jamaica finished one-two. Pakito Dudley took the gold with a wind-assisted 7.03m jump, edging Shammawi Wellington (windy 7.02m) into the silver slot.

Kenejah Williams finished just outside the medals in the Boys Under-20 shot put. The T&T field athlete threw 16.10m to finish fourth. His teammate, Shaquille Singuineau produced a 15.59m effort to secure sixth spot.

Iley Bruce finished fourth in the Boys Under-20 5,000m in 16 minutes, 17.68 seconds. In the Girls Under-20 discus, Chelsea James (40.75m) and Shaiann Charles (39.16m) were fourth and sixth, respectively.

Aaron Lewis was fourth in the boys’ under-20 110m hurdles in a windy 13.66. And in the Boys Under-18 110m hurdles, Ako Hislop finished fifth in a hand-timed 13.6 seconds.

Kershel McIntyre was fifth in the Girls Under-18 800m in two minutes, 23.28 seconds. In the Boys Under-18 800m, Terry Frederick and Myles Jackson were fifth and eighth, respectively, clocking 1:59.00 and 2:04.63.

Ayana Glasgow was fifth in the Girls Under-20 javelin with a 39.76m throw. And Ashton Gill clocked 1:57.08 to finish sixth in the boys’ under-20 800m.

Andwuelle Wright’s wind-aided 7.44m leap, late on Sunday, secured gold for T&T.

Williams’ T&T standard is 8.14m.

T&T earned three medals in the 4x100m events, which were also staged late on Sunday.

The Girls Under-18 quartet claimed silver in 47.10 seconds. The Under-18 boys also picked up silver, getting home in 41.43. And the Boys Under-20 combination clocked 40.55 seconds to secure bronze. The Under-20 girls were disqualified for a baton exchange outside the zone. And late yesterday, T&T earned three 4x400m medals.

The Boys U18 combination of Kobe John, Terry Frederick, Judah Taylor and Jacob St Clair picked up silver in 3:14.23, while the Boys and Girls U20 teams earned bronze.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:33:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

In summary we are regressing especially when we compare ourselves with our main Caribbean rivals who are all improving.

What determines the order? The number of gold medals or the total number of medals?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The number of golds set the order.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

What determines the order? The number of gold medals or the total number of medals?

Gold is worth more than silver and silver is more than bronze, it’s the IAAF international standard for judging medals and determining the order of countries on the final medal table.

As Ato said, the only team who should be beating us in the CARIFTA Games on the Final medal table is JA and we should be aiming to tally at least half the number of medals as JA does before we can be satisfied with our performances.

The fact that Bahamas and Barbados are now doing better than us means that we are regressing and underperforming relatively in the region and our NAAA has a lot more work to do before congratulating themselves and looking to pat themselves on the back. 

On a related note if Jonathan Farinha had not pulled up we could have won one more gold and Barbados one gold less meaning that we would have beaten them on the Final medal table but that still was not good enough as we would still have won less medals and gold medals than the Bahamas.

JA clearly has the best coaches and system in the region right now especially in their colleges and schools and we need to take a closer look at what they are doing and see what parts we are lacking in that we need to emulate. I am sure that JA will appreciate a bit more competition at the CARIFTA Games as better competition will force them to send their strongest possible team which they don't even currently see the need to send.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:19:11 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As Ato said, the only team who should be beating us in the CARIFTA Games on the Final medal table is JA and we should be aiming to tally at least half the number of medals as JA wins before we can be satisfied with our performances.

The fact that Bahamas and Barbados are now doing better than us means that we are regressing and underperforming relatively in the region and our NAAA has a lot more work to do before congratulating themselves and looking to pat themselves on the back. 

On a related note if Jonathan Farinha had not pulled up we could have won one more gold and Barbados one gold less meaning that we would have beaten them on the Final medal table but that still was not good enough as we would still have won less medals and gold medals than the Bahamas.

JA clearly has the best coaches and system in the region right now especially in their colleges and schools and we need to take a closer look at what they are doing and see what parts we need to emulate.

Could not have said it any better. This has been happening since the very first Carifta. The NAAA always saying, next time, next time we will be better. No. we never get better.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well done T&T :applause:

Congratulations to all the medalists. Use this as the beginning platform ahead of the CAC Championships. Keep on improving in your various events.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congratulations to all our T&T athletes who won medals and who did their best based upon the quality of coaching, competition and support they are regularly getting but I can't say congratulations to our NAAA's as we are clearly regressing especially when we look at how some of our smaller rivals are now out-performing us at the CARIFTA Games when Jamaica should be the only CARIFTA country capable of doing so.

Until we start looking to match what Jamaica and our other main Caribbean rivals are doing better than us and look to at least match or improve on what they are doing we will continue to underperform at these CARIFTA Games and not come near to our 2010 medal haul of 40 medals including – 12 gold, 16 silver, 12 bronze. Since 2010 we have been regressing rather than progressing in regards to the number of quality world class junior athletes we have been producing.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yes, congrats to all the youngsters who won medals. But heartfelt encouragement for those who almost won medals and also those who did not  win medals. Next Year go be YOURS!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This young lady, Kayelle Clark looks like a good prospect. Hislop and Farihna are the future sprinters. But it real nice to the fields athletes saving the day for TT. And it is real encouraging to see the new crop of female field athletes coming up to " challenge" Cleopatra.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hislop sprints to 200m CARIFTA gold
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
Hislop sprints to 200m CARIFTA gold
Tuesday, April 7 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Akanni Hislop sped to gold in half-lap sprint

Trinidad and Tobago struck a trio of gold medals, between Sunday night and yesterday evening, in the 44th CARIFTA Track and Field Championships at the Silver Jubilee Stadium, Basseterre, St Kitts.

The successful athletes were Andwuelle Wright, in the Boys Under-20 long jump; Akanni Hislop, in the Boys Under-18 200 metres; and Kayelle Clarke, in the Girls Under-20 200m.

There were also three silver and two bronze medals during that 24-hour span, as Trinidad and Tobago, up to press time last evening, had a bag of 17 medals (six gold, six silver and five bronze).

Wright, on Sunday night, captured gold with a leap of 7.44 metres, which he achieved in his first try. Obien Wasome of Jamaica was second in 7.41m while Nathaniel Huggins was third of St Kitts/Nevis in 7.37m. Another TT entrant, Tauren George, was 12th with an effort of 6.15m.

Yesterday, in the Boys Under-18 half-lap, Hislop, who got silver in the 100m, did one better as he crossed the finish line in 20.91 seconds, ahead of Javan Martin of the Bahamas (21.16) and Xavier Angus of Jamaica (21.17).

Clarke prevailed in a time of 23.12, followed by Jamaica’s Saqukine Cameron (23.32) and the Bahamas’ Keianna Albury (23.49).

There were two silver medals in the 4x100m relays.

The Girls Under-18 team of Akeera Esdelle, Deleth Charles, Jendayi Noel and Shikyla Walcott finished in 47.10, behind Jamaica (45.33) while Guadeloupe (47.41) were third.

The Boys Under-18 foursome of Jalen Purcell, Hislop, Jerod Elcock and Tyrell Edwards clocked 41.43, trailing Jamaica (a new meet record time of 40.52), while the Bahamas (41.77) were third.

And Khemani Roberts was second in the Girls Under-20 high jump in 1.73m, the same distance as Shanae McKenzie of Jamaica. Another Jamaican, Safia Morgan, won in 1.76m.

In the Boys Under-20 4x100m relay, the team of Gervais Ford, Xavier Mulugata, Francis Louis and Jonathan Farinha were third in 40.55, trailing Jamaica (40.39) and the Bahamas (40.41).

And Jeminise Parris got bronze in the Girls Under-20 100m hurdles in 13.85, behind the Jamaica pair of Yanique Thompson (13.21) and Jeanine Williams (13.40).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:17:22 PM by Socapro »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now the dust has settled ...Just to keep in mind the phenom Adel Colthrust....he is coming back slowly but surely ....

Short Recap...Adel colthrust ran last years carifta 100 final and recorded a wind assisted 10.57 in finishing 5 th in the under 18 boys final. He got injured in the race. The race was rerun the next day and the coaches let him run. His coach and mentor was not around ...he was 13 years old ! To make things worse he was allowed to run the final leg in the boys 4x100 relay and ran half the race holding his side .,...check it on you tube. the team got a bronxe ...he was not passed.

He was left prostrate on the track before folks realised how serious his injury was ...he returned to Trinidad on crutches. He remained on crutches missing school for a month ...he was in form 2.

His coach died soon after from an illness few knew he had .  Before he died he told Adel to go to Abilene Wildcats based in Arima. He lives south Trinidad. This is movie stuff folks ..

So he began his rehab ...he is still in rehab.
well Abilene put him in a mens relay at the Falcon games recently and he anchored the team to victory ...at 14 years of age ! speaking after the race when Nathan Farinha and I went up to him to ask how he was ... I did not want to run too fast but de man was catching me so I had to speed up ...

I dont want to say Darrel Brown ..but this boy is special. According to one of his coaches ,,they have to protect him from himself .  I have been following him since he was running under 11...he is an amazing talent. I just hope he stays healthy ..... he and Johnathan Farihna are good ones for the future .
Mark the name in your diary folks ...Jamaica will Keep a close watch on him ...we should too. 

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bahamas Defeats Jamaica U-18 Boys 4x100m Final Carifta Games 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qdDCHGvcn4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qdDCHGvcn4s</a>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:01:56 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now the dust has settled ...Just to keep in mind the phenom Adel Colthrust....he is coming back slowly but surely ....

Short Recap...Adel colthrust ran last years carifta 100 final and recorded a wind assisted 10.57 in finishing 5 th in the under 18 boys final. He got injured in the race. The race was rerun the next day and the coaches let him run. His coach and mentor was not around ...he was 13 years old ! To make things worse he was allowed to run the final leg in the boys 4x100 relay and ran half the race holding his side .,...check it on you tube. the team got a bronxe ...he was not passed.

He was left prostrate on the track before folks realised how serious his injury was ...he returned to Trinidad on crutches. He remained on crutches missing school for a month ...he was in form 2.

His coach died soon after from an illness few knew he had .  Before he died he told Adel to go to Abilene Wildcats based in Arima. He lives south Trinidad. This is movie stuff folks ..

So he began his rehab ...he is still in rehab.
well Abilene put him in a mens relay at the Falcon games recently and he anchored the team to victory ...at 14 years of age ! speaking after the race when Nathan Farinha and I went up to him to ask how he was ... I did not want to run too fast but de man was catching me so I had to speed up ...

I dont want to say Darrel Brown ..but this boy is special. According to one of his coaches ,,they have to protect him from himself .  I have been following him since he was running under 11...he is an amazing talent. I just hope he stays healthy ..... he and Johnathan Farihna are good ones for the future .
Mark the name in your diary folks ...Jamaica will Keep a close watch on him ...we should too. 

Thanks for the update on Adéll Colthrust!

Here is a photo of Adéll from his facebook page!
Lets hope he recovers fully from his injury and will be better managed in the future so that he can avoid any more serious injuries and so blossom into becoming one of the world's fastest sprinters as a senior.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:52:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
The one or two true bright spots are overshadowed by the fact that things are getting much worse, if we are honest. Count the non-field medals!!

When we slipped to third and I said 'fix this, figure it out', it was spun as me "crying down the youths", How now do you spin 4th, behind Barbados and Bahamas (and Jamaica)? Population? Bad year? (3rd decline in a row) 2nd was FAR away.

In Jamaica, this would be everyone fired/complete overhaul of everything.

In TnT, it's just the week after Carifta.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
it was spun as me "crying down the youths",

You calling a spade a spade. It is constructive criticism. I have said before, this been happening since the first Carifta. It seems that the powers that be are contented when we come second, and non-track people could care less, whether we come first or last..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:57:46 AM by Deeks »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Horsford stands out
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
Horsford stands out
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Apr 8, 2015 at 12:42 AM ECT

HALF-LAP HONOURS: Akanni Hislop, right, wins the Carifta Games boys' under-18 200 metres final, at the Kim Collins Athletic Stadium, in Basseterre, St Kitts, on Monday. The Trinidad and Tobago sprinter clocked 20.91 seconds. --Photo: PAUL VOISIN

Basseterre

Tyriq Horsford produced one of the most outstanding performances at Carifta 2015 here in Basseterre, St Kitts. The 15-year-old Trinidad and Tobago athlete established a new record in the boys’ under-18 javelin, his 70.73 metres monster throw earning him gold and the admiration of all who witnessed the Sunday morning feat.

Horsford was among the contenders for the Austin Sealy Award, presented to the most outstanding performer at the Games. The eventual recipient was triple gold medallist Mary Fraser. The Barbadian won the girls’ under-18 800 metres and 1500m events, as well as the girls’ open 3,000m.

Horsford was one of six T&T gold medallists at the 44th Carifta Games. Isaiah Taylor (boys’ under-18 shot put), Portious Warren (girls’ under-20 shot put), Andwuelle Wright (boys’ under-20 long jump), Kayelle Clarke (girls’ under-20 200m) and Akanni Hislop (boys’ under-18 200m) were also in winners’ row.

Jonathan Farinha looked a good bet for another gold, but pulled up lame in Monday’s boys’ under-20 200m final.

In addition to the six gold medals, T&T bagged eight silver and eight bronze, for a total of 22. T&T finished fourth on the medal table, behind perennial champions Jamaica (41 gold, 25 silver, 19 bronze), Bahamas (8 gold, 13 silver, 10 bronze), and Barbados (7 gold, 4 silver, 5 bronze).

Hislop secured his gold medal on Monday, scorching the track in a personal best 20.91 seconds.

“I knew from the start,” Hislop told the Express, “I had to catch my two opponents outside of me. Once I did that I knew I was going to win.”

T&T head coach Reynold Porter-Lee named Hislop among the team’s standout athletes. His list also included Taylor, Horsford, Warren and girls’ under-20 high jump silver medallist Khemani Roberts.

“It’s a satisfactory performance,” Porter-Lee declared, “because most of the athletes lifted their game.”

National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette was very impressed with Horsford, whose 70.73m throw signalled to the world that another “Keshorn Walcott” is in the making.

“We would have identified that two years ago,” Serrette told the Express, “from our age-group championships. Last year he was here as a 14-year-old, and was fourth. In the ball throw at the age-group championships, they could not measure his throw.

“We want to encourage and support him, and other athletes where we see the talent. We need to have some fund where we would be able to assist those athletes to continue to train, assist them medically and nutrition-wise.”

Horsford told the Express that Walcott, T&T’s reigning Olympic men’s javelin champion, is a source of inspiration.

“Since I was growing up, I was seeing him throwing great distances for his age, and I was amazed.”

Horsford is producing amazing feats as well, and has his sights set on the 74.78m world under-16 record, held by Australian Luke Cann.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:24:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The one or two true bright spots are overshadowed by the fact that things are getting much worse, if we are honest. Count the non-field medals!!

When we slipped to third and I said 'fix this, figure it out', it was spun as me "crying down the youths", How now do you spin 4th, behind Barbados and Bahamas (and Jamaica)? Population? Bad year? (3rd decline in a row) 2nd was FAR away.

In Jamaica, this would be everyone fired/complete overhaul of everything.

In TnT, it's just the week after Carifta.

Well said.

From 2010 the amount of medals have been cut to almost half. i.e. 40 in 2010, 22 in 2015. Something is definitely wrong.

Some food for thought.. Was talking to one of the chaperons yesterday. She pointed out that Tobago is doing a better job with identifying and developing talent than Trinidad. Thought about what she said.. Then realized it is not a coincidence that Tobago has produced more recent medalist than Trinidad (Quow, Lucas, Baptiste, L Gordon). Something is working in Tobago. The solution the NAAA is looking for may only  be 12 minutes or 2.5 hrs away from Trinidad. Then again the NAAA might not see the overall poor performance from Trinidad as a problem..

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:52:11 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
22 medals for T&T at 2015 Carifta Games
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
Don't know why they are saying in this Guardian article that T&T came 3rd when it was Barbados who came 3rd because they won more gold medals that us. The writer of this article below needs to get a little track & field education on how countries are ranked in the Medal Tables according to IAAF rules.
I have corrected the table at the end of this article by putting T&T into its correct position of 4th after Barbados. Go here for the full medal table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CARIFTA_Games

T&T third
...22 medals at Carifta Games

Published: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Carifta Games gold medallist Isaiah Taylor, left, shares a photo-call with fellow athletes Jacob St Clair, silver; Portious Warren, gold and Xavier Mulugata, bronze at Piarco International Airport at the national track and field team’s return from the 44th Carifta Games in St Kitts and Nevis last weekend. PHOTO: SEAN NERO

Akanni Hislop and Kayelle Clarke both won gold medals in the final session at the 44th Carifta Games to bring T&T's overall tally to 22 medals at the end of the meet at the Kim Collins Stadium in Basseterre, St Kitts, on Monday night.

T&T finished with six gold, eight silver and eight bronze to end third in the medal standings behind Jamaica (85) and Bahamas (31).

Entering the last session with 15 medals, T&T added two gold, four bronze and one silver including three 4x400metre medals.

Hislop, who entered the boys 200metre Under-18 final with the fastest time of 21.25 seconds, went under 21 seconds to win gold in 20.91.

It was a close battle for silver, but Javan Martin of the Bahamas prevailed in 21.16 ahead of Jamaican Xavior Angus in 21.17.

Clarke, who finished fourth in the girls 100m U-20 final, grabbed gold in the girls 200m U-20 in 23.12. Jamaican Saqukine Cameron claimed silver in 23.32, while Bahamian Keianna Albury won bronze in 23.49.

Snatching bronze in the boys long jump U-18 was Clement Campbell. Campbell saved his best for last disturbing the sand at the 6.86m mark in his last (sixth) jump. Jamaicans Pakito Dudley (7.03m) and Shammawi Wellington (7.02m) won gold and silver respectively.

After the T&T 4x100 teams picked up three medals on Sunday night, the 4x400 teams earned one silver and two bronze. Both the girls and boys U-20 4x400m teams won bronze, while the boys 4x400m U-18 quartet grabbed silver. The girls 4x400m U-18 team finished a disappointing fifth. On Sunday the girls 4x100m U-20 unit finished third, but was unfortunately disqualified for a baton exchange outside the zone.

The team returned home yesterday and both T&TOC president Brian Lewis and Sportt’s executive manager Anthony Creed were at the airport to greet them.

Results

​Boys 200m Under-18 Finals

1 Hislop, Akanni - T&T - 20.91
2 Martin, Javan - Bahamas - 21.16
3 Angus, Xavior - Jamaica - 21.17

Girls 200m U-20 Finals
1 Clarke, Kayelle - T&T - 23.12
2 Cameron, Saqukine - Jca - 23.32
3 Albury, Keianna - Bahamas - 23.49

Boys Long Jump U-18 Finals
1 Dudley, Pakito - Jamaica - 7.03m
2 Wellington, Shammawi - Jca - 7.02m
3 Campbell, Clement - T&T - 6.86m

Girls 100 M Hurdles U-20 Finals
1 Thompson, Yanique - Jca - 13.21
2 Williams, Jeanine – Jca - 13.40
3 Parris, Jeminise – T&T - 13.85

Boys 4x400m Relay U-18 Finals
1 Jamaica - 3:12.07
2 T&T - 3:14.23 (Kobe John, Terry Frederick, Judah Taylor, Jacob St Clair)
3 Bahamas - 3:18.12

Girls 4x400m Relay U-20 Finals
1 Jamaica - 3:37.96
2 British Virgin Islands - 3:46.43
3 T&T - 3:47.55 (Thyla-Maree Scott, Kayelle Clarke, Jeunice Maxime, Jeminise Parris)

Standings

Country G S B Total

Jamaica 41 25 19 85
Bahamas 8 13 10 31
Barbados 7 4 5 16
T&T 6 8 8 22
Grenada 1 3 4 8

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

T&T was among the medals on the final evening of competition at the 2015 Carifta Games in St. Kitts-Nevis, headlining the closing day for T&T was Akanni Hislop in the Boys Under-18 200M and Kayelle Clarke in the Girls Under-20 version.

SPORT: CARIFTA GAMES WRAP UP:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PDKR8_GEJj8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PDKR8_GEJj8</a>
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:04:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I thought Jamaica was going to get disqualified from the boys 4x400 for bumping the Bajan. I heard the Bajans were supposed to protest.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I thought Jamaica was going to get disqualified from the boys 4x400 for bumping the Bajan. I heard the Bajans were supposed to protest.

The Bajan runner was bumped out of lane 1 into lane 2 (where the Jamaican runner was) by the Bahamian runner who was trying to squeeze pass him on the inside of lane 1 which is against the rules.
So the Jamaicans rightfully protested their disqualification and got reinstated.
If any team should have been DQed for breaking the rules then it should have been the Bahamas.

Here is video of race again to confirm that it was the Bahamian runner who was at fault.

Christopher Taylor Anchors JAM Breaks CR U18 Boys 4x400m Carifta Games 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0jSRj0sob_Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0jSRj0sob_Q</a>

Event 217 Boys 4x400 Meter Relay Under 18
CR: # 3:12.63 4/21/2014 Jamaica, Jamaica Team Finals
Finals

1 Jamaica 3:12.07# 1) Ledgister, Leonardo 99 2) Ellington, Devaughn 98 3) James, Jauavney 98 4) Taylor, Christopher 99
2 Trinidad and Tobago 3:14.23 1) John, Kobe 98 2) Frederick, Terry 98 3) Taylor, Judah 98 4) St Clair, Jacob 99
3 Bahamas 3:18.12 1) Dormeus, Bradley 98 2) Kaze, Poitier 99 3) Wilson, Byron 99 4) Storr, Donovan 98
4 Cayman Islands 3:20.86 1) Jackson, Jeavhon 98 2) Conolly, Rashaun 98 3) Murray, Karim 99 4) Walton, Jamal 98
5 St.Kitts and Nevis 3:24.95 1) Bridgewater, Aljani 98 2) Liburd, Tahj 99 3) Farrell, Cejae 99 4) Collins, Curvis 99
6 Barbados 3:26.59 1) Trent, Deshon 98 2) Leacock, Rivaldo 98 3) Atkins, Josiah 99 4) Smith, Tremaine 00
7 Curacao 3:35.12 1) Jack, Aldrick 00 2) Cova, Errol 98 3) Boafo, Joel 99 4) Jansen, Germain 98
8 Turks and Caicos Islands 3:40.39 1) Knight, Jevoy 98 2) Reyes, Ken 99 3) Jennings, Colby 00 4) Fenelus, Wilkenson 99

The Silver Jubilee Athletic Stadium - Site License 2015 CARIFTA GAMES - 4/3/2015 to 4/6/2015 CARIFTA 44 Silver Jubilee Stadium, Basseterre, SKN
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:36:08 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>