April 20, 2024, 01:00:02 AM

Author Topic: Dwayne Bravo - Race, Politics, Culture  (Read 3020 times)

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwayne Bravo - Race, Politics, Culture
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
Bravo guest stars at UNC meeting
guardian.co.tt

Former West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo last night made a special appearance at the United National Congress’Monday Night Forum in Debe, hugging Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar at the end of her speech.

Bravo, who recently announced his retirement from Test cricket after being left out of the West Indies’ World Cup team for leading the walkout of the India tour, surprised many in the crowd when he turned up on stage after Persad-Bissessar delivered the feature address, hugged her and flashed the “V” for victory sign.

With supporters cheering loudly and waving flags, he then hugged Housing Minister Roodal Moonilal before making his way off the stage.

After the forum was over Bravo quickly retreated to the back of the stage where he met a few fans before leaving.

Bravo is a friend of newly-appointed Sports Minister Brent Sancho and the two have been seen hanging out at events together.

Moments before, Persad-Bissessar promised not to waste any time on the People’s National Movement. This seemed to move away from previous meetings in which she openly attacked PNM leader Dr Keith Rowley and PRO Faris Al-Rawi.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwayne Bravo - Race, Politics, Culture
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 06:10:41 AM »

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:14:08 AM »
Bravo after his UNC appearance: Race in politics hurts me

guardian.co.tt

West Indies cricketer Dwayne Bravo says he is deeply hurt when the race card is pulled into the political arena and therefore reiterates his position that he is not getting involved in politics. He made a public announcement during yesterday’s launch of his song, Chalo Chalo (English translation: Let’s Go, Let’s Go), which he did with one of T&T’s popular chutney/crossover artistes Nisha Bissambhar, known as Nisha B, of the band Karma. It took place at the Queen’s Park Members Club, Queen’s Park Oval, Tragarete Road, Port-of-Spain.

Addressing a small crowd which consisted of several of his teammates, including his brother, Darren, Kieron Pollard, Dinesh Ramdin, Sunil Narine and Rayad Emrit, Bravo stressed that he was not getting into politics. “I am not interested in any party except for 51 and Zen (nightclubs). I don’t see race and colour. I represent T&T and I love my country,” he said.

Explaining to members of the media, Bravo, who appeared on the UNC’s Monday Night Forum this week in Debe at the end of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s speech, said it was a pleasure and honour for him to take a photograph with the PM. He added: “Because election is right around the corner a lot of people took offence with me going there but at the end of the day, I am here for my country and I represent my country. “I am happy and privileged to meet the Prime Minister as she is the Prime Minister of my country.

“I am not getting involved in politics and I will remain an ambassador for the youths. “I am all about my country, my family and charity and that is what Bravo is about... it is my brand. You don’t hear my name calling in any kind of scandal with the law or any negative things. This is who I am.”
Acting chairman of the UNC Khadijah Ameen also attended the launch. When approached and asked about Bravo’s involvement with the UNC, she said:

“As a person, who is national figure, every person is entitled to any political affiliation but for some reason there are those who feel that some should not be entitled to, such as Dwayne Bravo.” “However, Dwayne is not involved in the UNC in any way. I know he was present at the Monday Night Forum and I know that he and Brent Sancho (Minister of Sport) have a relationship because of sports. I am happy to see him present but he was there with his friend.”

She, however, added that if Bravo decided to step into the political arena, it would not make him less than the person he already was.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
In other words... he went to de UNC for rum.

1]; } ?>