March 28, 2024, 01:45:05 PM

Author Topic: Ireland coach Phil Simmons set to be named new head coach of West Indies  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ireland coach Phil Simmons set to be named new head coach of West Indies
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/18/ireland-coach-phil-simmons-west-indies

Phil Simmons is poised to take over as head coach of West Indies in time for their three-Test series against England starting on 13 April.

Simmons, who has been in charge of Ireland since 2007 and oversaw their recent World Cup campaign, is understood to have agreed terms with the West Indies Cricket Board and is expected be announced in the role following the tournament.

The Trinidadian Simmons, who played 26 Tests and 143 one-day internationals for West Indies between 1988 and 1997, was contracted to Ireland until December but their board have previously indicated he will not be prevented from taking the job.

West Indies have been without a permanent head coach since Ottis Gibson, the former England bowling coach, was removed before Christmas.

Their current World Cup campaign – they face New Zealand in Sunday’s fourth quarterfinal – has been overseen by Stuart Williams on a temporary basis.

The 51-year-old Simmons joins after eight years with associate side Ireland, having been in charge for two World Cup campaigns, the most recent of which saw them eliminated on net run rate after defeat to Pakistan last Sunday.

Ireland left Australia and New Zealand having defeated West Indies in their Pool B opener, before going on to beat Zimbabwe and the United Arab Emirates.

Their campaign represented a sixth successive presence at an ICC global tournament under Simmons, having also qualified for four World Twenty20s.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
He obviously like stress.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
If they tell me to Coach a team without three of the top players I woulda say hull yuh mudd Cu*^.

You does give man shit side and then fire everybody but your damn self.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If they tell me to Coach a team without three of the top players I woulda say hull yuh mudd Cu*^.

You does give man shit side and then fire everybody but your damn self.

VB

Can't he exert influence over that?  Or no?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why I leaving my secure, cushy Irish job to coach West Indies?   :-\
Phill the thrill... All the best man!  :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good luck but I don't agree with your decision Phil. Windies whole structure need changing. A change in coaching is not the solution. 

1]; } ?>