March 28, 2024, 06:40:19 AM

Author Topic: After all the talk - National U17 player speaks about what went wrong  (Read 6057 times)

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fwCedHR6WzM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fwCedHR6WzM</a>

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:16:37 PM by amwood »

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Very interesting observations from the young man.  I know that probably was a tough conversation to be had on camera but hey, at least he was honest.  Interesting that he thinks talent is not the issue but rather lack of preparation and experience in addition to the lack of togetherness as a group. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I admire his maturity to conduct the interview. He made a lot of valid points that were constructive rather than simply pointing a finger. I hope the powers that be can listen to what the players have to say as part of the evaluation process in an attempt for our teams and administration to improve and progress.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why should speed of play be surprising?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Not discounting what the young man had to say.....but it sounds like he's just repeating what the masses have been saying.

This interview was led by the interviewer (Tony I assume). No insight really, except for mentioning that the team wasn't united.

His comments just highlighted how far back we are in terms of players and coaching.

Did he really go to an international world cup qualifying competition with the expectation that 'playing fast like in trinidad' would cut it? The coach didn't advise otherwise?

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Very true, most of these guys are just not that comfortable in interview type situations - you've got to basically lead them for answers to questions. What I really wanted to get from him was whether he genuinely believed that they could play with or were individually good enough as the players they encountered. And if so - how does he intend to bridge the gap with his own preparation. As a footballer when the final whistle is blown you either leave the pitch feeling like you were in with a chance, or the other team had too much quality. It's interesting that he believes that they had enough quality...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:50:00 PM by amwood »

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
That's another issue that concerns me greatly....as our country's representatives, regardless of age group, our players seem to be unable of presenting themselves properly to the public. Its a symptom that manifests itself in how we perform on the pitch....like we live a kind of sheltered existence where we don't see what the world has to offer on a footballing level.

We played against teams who had players in professional set ups in the main, players who were infinitely better prepared than we were. Its either the young man genuinely believed that we had the talent to match the opponents or he simply doesn't know better....in each case its a cause for concern.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DiamondTrim could not have said it better...I could not have said what he said better...

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
Amwood: I have some concerns about the objective of this interview especially considering the previous video you posted with the interview with the U-17 coach. The coach mentioned that the coaches responsible for developing players do not understand what is required to get the players to the level required for international competition, yet this player is wearing your academy shirt in this interview and speaking about the shortcomings of the team.I don't think it is fair to the player to give a perspective on what went wrong or could be better, then he cannot articulate his thoughts so you have to lead him to the answer.
Why do you choose to conduct the interview with your academy players training in the background? Seems a bit self serving to me! Do you work with your players on interview skills? What are you doing to address the issues that both the coach mentioned and this young man reiterated?
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
it's better to have a little knowledgeable informed view, than none.. yet don't critique the whole 'region from just one snapshot.

Thanks amwood.. ppl looking at your info passing, like some professional interview for general public consumption. really.. If you could have interviewed the brits or Americans, and they said something similar, which we all knew anyway..it would have been clearer. Is this boy a Pro, was he chosen to U17 National team for Speaking ability, personality, Academics, diction ? Should this be a criteria for selection ? Is it the job of soccer coaches or soccer schools to develop these things, are the Public schools failing..at what age should a player not be speaking Trini anymore, and speak like an American in interviews.. I'm just being funny...but I think it's Anthony Sherwood Football school"..I think a few other social skills and development have to come from school, home, public and if necessary private. If I speak poorly, yet communicate well with my kids and they have grown, speaking only to me, no outside influences, in that extreme, how would they speak ? From University to Professionals here are given courses in media relations. Because it makes the Team look good, and some are better than many, but if you hear the weaker guys.. you would wonder if they cleaning the toilets in the dorms....even doh they may be bright, some are Pros are bright, yet not good academically...but Primarily, they where they are for sport.
add: btw, this is how the pros do it..they just use editing and play sound bites, note, not even asking them opinionated questions..yet they stumble..these are Montrealer kids..mine we on here once..if anybody asked to form an opinion camera, for public it's not easy..today, may athletes are thought to  focus on a one word answer, and then expand on it...but this education is arranged by the pro clubs.
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/sports/randy-s-rookies
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:20:56 AM by maxg »

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
CK1 Tyrek is a goal keeper and has been with us for about two months starting just prior to his selection to the final squad that went to Hounduras.  He was a member of another club and played all of last year in the youth pro league set up. In fact he has just registered with another pro league club to play this season so that he can get consistent games in his age group. His reason for training with us is based on the fact that he's hoping to obtain an opportunity to head to the US on scholarship. All the interviews we do is from the perspective of identifying any potential deficiencies that either players or coaches see in the youth the football set up locally and potential solutions that may exist...how you interpret the content of those interviews and what you take from them is ultimately up to you, do you focus on the solutions to problems identified or are you fixated on what has been mentioned as potential problems that have been identified by either Cooper, Coach Hart, Dexter Francis, Angus Eve etc. these gentlemen have all been asked the same questions -  "what are we doing well and what are the areas that we need to focus on." Our academy set up is now entering its 23rd month of football, 90% of our players are 12 years and under many of whom have been with us from the beginning. I am quite confident that we will have a few kids in the national youth set up in the near future, however, it is my hope that many of the issues mentioned by some of the  gentlemen that we have done interviews with regarding speed of play, focus, aggression, defensive responsibities, decision making, tactical awareness on the pitch are not deficiencies that they will possess when they begin the process of vying for selection to the national youth teams. In fact those are football traits that we emphasize every day in training with our youngsters. Lastly, prior to coming back to T&T, I was based abroad and I have worked with a number of players who have represented the US in youth world cups. In fact two of the youngsters on the current US U17 team were players that began with us at 8 years of age and so - I belive that I have a little sense of what goes into getting guys to that level of competition and the characteristics that they must posses to even get to those teams. I am now part of the local football community and thus seen as part of the problem, hopefully in time, the work we are attempting to do will be part of the solution - that said it will require a team effort. Bless.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
... I am now part of the local football community and thus seen as part of the problem, hopefully in time, the work we are attempting to do will be part of the solution - that said it will require a team effort. Bless.
I owe you  :beermug:, even just for efforts.. thank you..and owe Coach Hart and a few others a couple as well
 :applause: :applause: :notworthy:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
are the Public schools failing?

That is a loaded question!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am now part of the local football community and thus seen as part of the problem, hopefully in time, the work we are attempting to do will be part of the solution - that said it will require a team effort. Bless.

Breds, by now this should be a normal thing for you. There are many on this forum, home and foreign who has no confidence, none what soever, in the local coaching fraternity. So put on your helmet. I have stated time and again, that if the the TTFA(particular the Jack era) used to the give the resources  to the local coaches that the foreign coaches demand, we would have seen better results. I am NOT saying that we should not hire foreign coaches or seek out  foreign assistances, etc.I just want to make that clear.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Personally, I ent fraid the critics man - in fact I welcome it. I prefer that than the "mamaguy." Ive worked for last 15 years in high pressured environments and there isn't not too much locally that can distract from the goal of introducing a new generation of winners. Along with one or two others we will do our part, it's up to everyone else to do theirs. What CK1 may not know is that in addition to producing youngsters who've played at that level, I too have also had the chance to experience the game at that level. I remember vividly what that was like and all of the elements that affected our performances, these little guys coming thru will hopefully not make the same mistakes. We go see😃

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
...Seems to me is a fraternity dem boy dem form dong dey...all yuh tink  dem easy ..dem on another level oui..

Big ups to all de Pres man dem!

...and de Naps men too...

Amwood went big College in DC ..

me ..I dotish because me eh go no big College..

All I want to say to you Amwood...again...Sir I have much respect for you as a player but I don't appreciate you trying to insult my intelligence with this type a nonsense video you posting here and further more yuh shouldn't be using people chirren to spread dat kind a propoganda.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Coache, yuh comments are duly noted Padna...and despite the fact that you are received somewhat indifferently on this site, I want to let you know that I support you and I read most of what you post. Bless up...by the way I went to school in VA 😃

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
VCU?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Coache....your comments a bit harsh. I don't think the video was nonsense...I could be wrong, but I think it was an honest attempt to shed some info on what went wrong at the U17 tournament. Maybe the content wasn't what we hoped it would have been but so it goes....

Someone mentioned self serving....Tony did the interview while the player was at training....no big deal. Doesn't Tony post youtube vids of his academy session here as well? Thats self serving too?

Cmon guys....

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Personally, I ent fraid the critics man - in fact I welcome it. I prefer that than the "mamaguy." Ive worked for last 15 years in high pressured environments and there isn't not too much locally that can distract from the goal of introducing a new generation of winners. Along with one or two others we will do our part, it's up to everyone else to do theirs. What CK1 may not know is that in addition to producing youngsters who've played at that level, I too have also had the chance to experience the game at that level. I remember vividly what that was like and all of the elements that affected our performances, these little guys coming thru will hopefully not make the same mistakes. We go see😃

The title of the video says all that is WRONG with the use of this young man to "allegedly" provide some unknown secret as to why and how we lost 4 matches and tied 1. If this was to get the  2nd goalkeepers perspective then say that, the title 100% displays your intentions which are not respectful of this young man and the 22 boys that went to battle in Honduras for country. I have no problem with interviewing the young man its a good tool to monitor development and help him with presentation. However, the questions lead him to go negative on his team like this is some expose is frankly disgraceful.

You are a coach, what team hasn't had infighting or some boys not getting along?  In all your coaching have you ever know the two strikers on the bench being happy with the strikers that are starting?

Please tell me in sport when its acceptable to for a team member to speak out in this manner about his team and the locker room; that experience is between those that go to battle. Anytime, a player on any level speaks out in this manner it is understandably frowned upon. This young man will now have to face his teammates after having spoken out in this manner, do you think they will welcome him? Will he be trusted? Afterall, he is battling uphill as one of the goalkeepers whose performance was questioned. How have you helped him with this interview being public? On the contrary, I believe that you have hurt this young man and the team but I can't figure out for what value. As others, have said nothing new was learned however damage was done to this young man and his future ability to relate with his teammates.  If you don't recognize that, then its possible you should not be working with children. Did you get his permission to post this interview? Did he or his parents sign a release? Did you explain to him the possible backlash?

The fact that you coached boys that made it to the US U17 team doesn't mean you understand or possess the emotional and psychological skills to develop our youth. I don't know you and you don't know me but be rest assured this was wrong and should not be done again to anybody child. Interview them yes but not in this manner and not with someone else's bias and purpose.

I personally spoke to three members of the U17 team who saw the video and none of them were happy with "skunk"(nickname they have for Tyrek James) nor thought it accurate of their experience. That's is not to same that Mr. James experience isn't correct because its his own and no one should take it away from him but NO ONE should exploit it either.

Please do better next time, we counting on you dont let the youth down.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:39:29 PM by Tobago28 »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
mixed feeling on your post Tobago..I agree with most, but not with some, as I don't think u can make a judgement call on a person capabilities, based on a perceived mistake or a opinionated bad judgement call, especially without knowing more of why that perceived error was made, or if it's an error at all. Isn't that like compounding the error ? If the kid really wasn't feeling good vibes, when and to whom should he address. He didn't point fingers, implicate anyone or indicate details or elaborate, he tried to express an observation. If he wasn't feeling good vibes, and feels it something to be addressed, that;s ok. What if he felt a negative pressure to voice this within the team, coach framework, National team is not a club, where the boys and staff may have the opportunity to be together for years.. that happens to. So should he just keep quiet, cause he don't want to rock the boat. My daughter felt in a similar situation. I told her make a team speech, who not vibes with yuh, won't be suddenly vibezin yuh, because yuh taking the snippets, and negative comments all the time. Should Amwood broadcast, hmmnn. not sure. However, I would think, if he has a relationship with the National coach (and he may not have), he could have been the messenger and discuss personally with the coach. However, these National selections not about friends and cliques, which I thought the boy found to be discouraging,  is all. I didn't get to be a reason for their unexpected performance. Surprisingly, for many of us here, in the know, it wasn't that unexpected. Seems like even the coach had an idea.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Amwood people on this site for the most part don't see things the way I do. I can conclude from the last two videos which you posted pertaining  that U17  team, only proves what I have been saying all along.

I post on Leadership, Strategic Planning, Tactics, Management as well as my opinions about the state of football affairs.

When people say I am ranting and raving I am merely bringing attention to the reality of our condition.

You left America to go back to Trinidad on a mission but you didn't realize that you got caught up in that same loop.

You should re-read the post about being caught up in the Loop....if you understood what I was saying your approach would have been different.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Lots of chatter about the video, I'm not sure what was so abnormal about what the young man stated, in his opinion he felt that the vibe wasn't good. Its a personal opinion he expressed. He felt that the keepers were nervous and that the biggest adjustment was the speed of play. The team left T&T playing at a faster speed and he felt they were not able to increase their speed of play until the second game. He shares his opinion of what he feels his approach should be regarding the way he intends to approach training going forward. Now you say that you've spoken to three players and they disagreed with the young man. Fair enough, there are PARENTS of players who went to Honduras who spoke to me at the youth pro league opening games who talked about the extent of the " so called vibe" but of course that is not something that would be included in a "video" because that is for someone else to deal with. These same parents spoke about things other than nervousness that affected one of the keepers, again not something that would be put forth in the public domain because that is for others to address. These are actual parents expressing their opinions. Now you're worried about the "repercussions" that this kid would face - what you should be worried about is how these kids get to training, do they have money in their pockets, do they have tutors or teachers who are will to work with them so that they get remotely close to passing exams based on the time that they have missed from school, do they (on the eve of leaving for Panama and then to Honduras have adequate footwear), and if not where can it be purchased at the very last minute). These are some of the things that some of us on the "ground" are addressing with some of these kids. You're worried about their national team career, his old man is worried about life issues and what can we do to create a few concrete opportunities. So before you starting typing away your dismay at this and that - give some consideration to the fact that some of these kids love playing national team football - yes, however, some of them (not all current national team members) are contending with much bigger life issues. Get a little perspective padna.....         

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tobago28...you livin in Trinidad?

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I also posted a piece on the importance of history ..so that we wouldn't get caught up..the National U17 team ...players , staff , all encountered similar experiences on their expedition but each individual interpret their experience differently.

Maybe instead of asking the kid those questions you should have asked him about his personal experience on the trip while making sure he doesn't speak for the team and also making sure that he didn't come up with his own conclusion as to why the expedition failed.

The reason is that he is a kid.

We know the real reason is piss poor planning, inept leadership, and lack of funding.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It's incredulous that the team played "faster" in T&T. Against whom exactly? Under what circumstances?

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Coache, some of that stuff you post is totally inapplicable to some of what is happening in football in T&T, it almost seems aloof at times. I speak too and interact with almost everyone in football in T&T, from coaches to administrators, to players and parents. To be fair allot of these people involved in the game today are guys I played football with, or knew back in the day. Just this evening I played a fete match with and against no less than 8 or 10 guys involved in the pro league or the national team set up. There is an underlying sense of frustration within football in T&T right now, and it's one of the reasons I feel players are not sometimes giving their best on the pitch...I saw a pro league game today in south and again I exchanged a few words with some of the players after the game. So when I see someone in football (player, coach, adminsitrator) express a sense of disenchantment on a video or in the newspaper, what you must understand is that this is what we are surrounded by everyday...90% of the conversations I have are  football people who feel unhappy with something that they are dealing with football related. So a youth man talking about a bad vibe on a video or a coach expressing his frustrations about something regarding his set up is the norm. It might be a big deal to you and some of your padnas, but for some us on the ground floor - it's the reality. It's just not that uncommon. Now someone like yourself and your advocates would rather camouflage some of the realities that we deal with and would rather paint some silly picture of "leadership" and "theory" and what should be said and what should not be said etc. You all could express your views about ah video all day, but until you're  making some meaningful contribution towards the betterment of the thing then all those post you drop is taken with a grain of salt. When you're willing to invest your own time and money into helping some of these youths directly as opposed to posting ah set "brian centered development" theories then all you are is a man typing other people's stuff on a forum worrying about what school men went too. Tomorrow I have a meeting with some folks who manage a hotel here in Trinidad that will hopefully give us a "best rate" so that we can put up two American College coaches coming down to look at a few players, if they get through to these schools then we will do a video :-)...acquire some perspective Padna.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:45:55 AM by amwood »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
amwood, your contributions are much appreciated, both the heavy lifting that yuh doing with the development of these young men, and the little insights that you offer with these videos. You can't please everyone, the other day you posted a vid of a keeper saving some practice shots and men talk about how weak the shots were. Now you post a vid of a player giving his feedback on some of the things that negatively affected performance, and men picking it apart and accusing you of having ulterior motives.

While I would never suggest to you that you ignore your critics, what I would say is for you to continue doing as you were doing. If you make mistakes along the way then that is just part of the process of you becoming better at what you're trying to do with these kids. You know what's in your heart and you know that your intentions are pure. This youth hasn't divulged anything that specifically went on in the locker room, he spoke about a lack of unity among the team, in large part because the players never really got a chance to bond during camp, because of the lack of funding to host said camp/s.

It makes sense that there were little cliques within the team, this is normal in Trinidad, and normal behavior among that age group. If they had more time together, then it's very likely that some of those personality differences would have been more easily overcome. Some of the other things he spoke about were evident from observation. I can't speak for future coaches or team selectors, but I am hard-pressed to envision a circumstance where anything he said here might be held against his selection.

Nothing I say is to discount some of the concerns that have been raised, indeed I don't know they may be correct in the end. Again however I would say to you to continue as you are doing, because whatever positives that may come from your contributions, I am confident that they will far outweigh the negatives. God bless, and Godspeed.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
amwood, you have to be a mad man to even waste your precious time reading or replying to coache post.

I have him on my ignore list so his post dont show up.

De man is a f00cking clown.

Keep doing your thing man, love your videos and how you trying to develop kids.

My advise, try to develop them off the field first.

Plenty youths need support mentally off the field because they parents are dead beats.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Amwood your intentions are good..you felt the need to analyze what went wrong with the U17 team and that's a good thing.

The steps that should be taken now is a complete After Action Review. Now is the time for a round table discussion by a panel of coaches and ask questions:

What went wrong ?

Why did these things didn't work?

What were the events which led to the undesirable result?

Where were the missteps?

what are the experiences of the various individuals on the team?

The meeting should be only about gathering information and asking questions.

Then hold another meeting on analysis of the various problems encountered without trying to come up with solutions.

Then your final meeting would be on possible solutions and the way forward.

Right now we are in the loop we have to act now..work smarter not harder.

1]; } ?>