April 16, 2024, 03:48:24 PM

Author Topic: Pan Am Games Thread  (Read 7072 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pan Am Games Thread
« on: April 24, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
RESULTS of TODAY’s draw for the 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto:

MEN (Group B): Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico, Uruguay, Paraguay
July 13: T&T vs Uruguay
July 17: Paraguay vs T&T
July 21: T&T vs Mexico

WOMEN (Group A): Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia
July 11: Argentina vs T&T
July 14: Colombia vs T&T
July 18: T&T vs Mexico

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:56:17 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Pan Am Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »
Will the same team that Vranes picks for the Olympic qualifying be playing in these games too?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
Will the same team that Vranes picks for the Olympic qualifying be playing in these games too?

It makes sense to use the U-23 for the Panam

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 01:54:22 AM »
T&T footballers get tough PanAm Games draw.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Both T&T’s U-23 men and senior women have been grouped with some of the top countries in Comnebol and Concacaf for the football competitions of the 2015 Pan American Games, which runs from July 11-26 in Toronto, Canada.

The venue for all matches is the Tim Hortons Field, in Hamilton.

The men and women’s competitions are comprised of eight teams each, separated into two groups with the top two teams from each group advancing directly to the semifinal stage.

On the men’s side, T&T’s U-23 have been grouped with Paraguay, Uruguay and Mexico. The other group consists of Canada, Peru, Panama and Brazil.

The women’s team, meanwhile, sees T&T up against Mexico, Argentina and Colombia, while Ecuador, who beat T&T to the final Fifa Women’s World Cup spot last year, is in Group B along with Canada, Brazil and Costa Rica.

The U-23 men’s team coach, Zoran Vranes, who has been active with the team since his appointment last week, spoke after the draw and said he welcomes the challenge.

“We need games like these,” he said in relation to the preliminary fixtures against Uruguay (July 13), Paraguay  (July 17) and Mexico (July 21).

“The stronger the opposition, the better for us.

“I think we have a pretty good squad of players with very good individual strength and talent. And I must commend the (football) association for doing what it can to try to get all the players involved in the preparations (and for hopefully getting a camp before we head to Canada).”

He said he looks forward to using the matches as preparation for the second leg of Olympic qualification.

“Teams like Uruguay and Paraguay are quality opponents for us to challenge and well, you know,  Mexico is always a big test for us,” he added.

Vranes, will conduct another training session this morning at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Four years ago at the last Pan Am Games in Guadalajara, Mexico, T&T performed well, but was unable to advance to the knockout round after its three 1-1 draws. They played the host team, Mexico, as well as Ecuador and Uruguay. That team included a number of current national senior team players including Sheldon Bateau, Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones, Shahdon Winchester and others.

Prior to their departure to Canada, the same Olympic team will start their challenge for a spot in next year’s Olympic Games on June 24, when they meet their first CFU group opponent, Suriname, in Puerto Rico. The team will subsequently face the host team as well as the winner of a match between St Vincent and Dominica.

Meanwhile on the women’s side, Jason Spence, the team’s assistant coach who is overseeing team business in the absence of a head coach, says he is confident given the quality of players.

“The present pool of players at the senior level as shown in their recent World Cup campaign bid are an exceptional group and will be very eager to continue their good run at the Pan-Am Games against some quality teams,” Spence said, adding, “this entire group from that campaign are still very much up for selection so it's just a matter of putting the necessary in place to have them all together out to training.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ragga

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »
see e-mail  below for plans in the T.O to support the warriors @ d games.
====
Sent: April 24, 2015 11:55 PM
Subject: Calling all Soca Warriors

Folks, the draws for the Pan Am Games football tournament which involves both men and women teams from Trinidad and Tobago were recently completed and my cricket club, Kaisoca CC, is planning to muster up some support to travel to Hamilton to support our teams.

Here are the details : We will be making the trip for four preliminary matches, three men's matches and 1 women's match. Why 1 match for the women? Kaisoca is a cricket club and has matches on the weekends when there are 2 women matches so we cannot go on those days but you are free to attend on your own.

Dates are :  Tuesday July 13th. 5:30pm : T&T vs Uruguay       Men
                   Wednesday July 14th. 8:30pm : T&T vs Columbia   Wome
                   Friday July 17th.  8:30pm   : T&T vs Paraguay     Men
                   Tuesday July 21st. 5:30pm :  T&T vs Mexico       Men

I will be arranging with the stadium as to which section we have to buy tickets for and what musical instruments we will be allowed to take in the stadium as well as what length the flag poles must be.

If we do not get our $10.00 Soca Warriors t'shirts, then I am asking all supporters to wear red ; hats, wigs, bandanas, pants and rags.

We should meet outside the stadium at least 3 hours before the match to ' warm up ' to DJ music before marching into the stadium.

Everyone must find their own way down to Hamilton and purchase their own ticket since there is a difference in price for juniors and seniors.

Please pass this mail to anyone who you think is a Canadian / T&T soca warrior.

Feel free to contact me if there are any questions or comments.

We would like to have over 500 T&T supporters with their RED clothes and flags and musical instruments.

Cheers
George Maharaj
905-621-6157

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:10:17 AM »
W/Warriors start Pan Am and Olympic preparations without head coach.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

The Trinidad and Tobago National Senior and Under-20 Women Teams have started preparation for upcoming international football tournaments with no appointed head coach for either squad.

The senior women are preparing for the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games and Rio 2016 Olympic Game qualifiers while the youth will soon start their Papua New Guinea 2016 Under-20 World Cup campaign.

St Ann’s Rangers Women’s Team coach and Pro League team manager Jason Spence was named assistant coach of the senior and youth teams and has handled the sessions for both along with fellow assistant coach, Desiree Sargeant. The two teams have trained together so as to make up numbers.

“I am trying to get the women ready for the Pan Am games and the Olympic qualifiers,” Spence told Wired868, “and the under-20s are getting ready for their CFU competition, which starts in June. I brought them together to make sure the numbers are good for a quality session.

“In the first session, last Tuesday, there were 28 players, which was a mixture of seniors and under-20s. A number of them are into exams and CXC and so on, so it is a challenge to get them to come out.”

It is a far cry from the adrenalin rush of wearing the red, white and black strip for both teams in 2014. The National Under-20 Team, led by captain Anique Walker and technical director Anton Corneal, came within four minutes of an Under-20 World Cup place, only to be held 3-3 by Costa Rica in regulation time and then spanked 7-3 in extra time.

And the “Women Soca Warriors”, captained by Maylee Attin-Johnson and coached by American Randy Waldrum, were on even terms with Ecuador for 179 minutes of their 180 minute two-legged FIFA Play Off contest before conceding a heartbreaking last minute goal at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on 2 December 2014.

One senior player, who preferred to remain anonymous, told Wired868 that the lengthy layoff and uncertainty since the Play Off match has only added to the players’ frustration.

“It is absolute madness,” said the women’s player. “From almost qualifying for the World Cup four months ago to just absolutely no football and then now we don’t even have a coach or know the future of the team.

“Football is our passion and the girls just want to play and represent their country but it is really hard to do with how terrible our administration is. Regardless of us having no money, things can be done a lot better in terms of communication with the team.

“Why, after all that time, do we still have no senior coach?”

Spence is none the wiser himself.

“All I know is, based on the appointment that I got, I am the assistant coach of both of the teams,” he said. “I’m guessing that Randy (Waldrum) will continue as head coach of the Senior Team. And I’m not sure who will take charge of the Under-20s; that I cannot answer for you.”

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) technical committee chairman Richard Quan Chan confirmed that former head coach, Waldrum, is their first choice. But Quan Chan could not say when the TTFA would make a final decision.

“We are in discussions with Randy Waldrum (and) are talking with him about the possibilities,” Quan Chan told Wired868. “He is getting the girls to work so we will want to see what possibilities there are. And the Under-20 job is part of that discussion, although my personal view is that one (head) coach cannot work with two teams. It will be very difficult.

“We have been trying to finalise over the last three to four weeks and it might take another two weeks… Everything is not straightforward. We will have to do something soon.”

At the moment, Waldrum already has a job. The Texan is head coach of the Houston Dash squad, which competes in the United States’ National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL). And Dash will be in action this August when the Women Warriors are battling for Pan American glory in Toronto.

Last year, local coach Marlon Charles covered for Waldrum while the latter handled his duties in Dallas. However, Charles but dumped by the TTFA before the women’s CONCACAF qualifiers and was not even offered a ticket to watch the Warriors’ decisive Play Off match against Ecuador.

The Chaguanas South Secondary teacher, who also coached the current youth team at under-17 level, said he will not consider another national appointment until he is paid outstanding stipends.

“I’m not going to do anything until they pay me what they are supposed to pay me,” said Charles, who said he was not paid his monthly TT$3,000 stipend since 2012. “I’m not getting into the fussing and fighting, I just want to get what is owed to me…

“If they give me the opportunity to coach one of the teams, I don’t have a problem. But that must be cleared up first.”

The anonymous Women’s Warrior suggested that her teammates are prepared to work under a new coach if necessary and are happy to have a local boss. But she said they are anxious for an illustrious appointment.

“If Randy can share his time properly with the national team and make an impact with the time he has, then I am all for it,” said the senior player. “If not, we need a new coach. I am thinking along the lines of an Angus Eve or a Terry Fenwick… You can’t bring a coach without a level of success to their name, otherwise players will think: ‘What are you coming to teach us?’ That is human nature.

“We want someone with success who can demand that level of authority over players. At the last Pan Am Games, we saw how players played as if they would die for Angus and players always enjoy working for Fenwick too.”

Angus Eve, who is Trinidad and Tobago’s appearance record holder, led North East Stars to the 2015 TTFA FA Trophy and steered Naparima College to the 2014 SSFL Premier Division and BG T&T/First Citizens Big Four titles.

And Fenwick, who represented England at the 1986 World Cup, is one of the Pro League’s most successful coaches and is on the verge of helping Central FC to its first league title.

Incidentally, Eve’s first coaching job was as Fenwick’s assistant at Jabloteh although there is little love lost between the pair these days.

While the TTFA contemplates its Senior and Under-20 Women’s head coaches, new technical director Kendall Walkes quietly begun his duties with the local football body earlier this month. Walkes is a former technical director at West Chester University in the United States and the third successive North American-based appointment from current general secretary Sheldon Phillips, after men’s head coach Stephen Hart and Waldrum.

The TTFA has still not paid off its last technical director, Anton Corneal, but needed to hire a replacement before it could access FIFA funding or its annual subvention. The football body is believed to have received in excess of US$750,000 (TT$4.7 million), which is the TTFA’s subvention plus its share in television rights from the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

The Women Warriors hope some of that money will be invested into their teams. Thus far, the mood has been downbeat.

“I feel they just don’t care about women’s football,” said one player. “They say there is no money but where is the $1.5 million (collected from the Ecuador Play Off) that they said would be pumped back into women’s football? Four months later and we haven’t seen a dollar from that; so where is the transparency or accountability?

“We don’t play for money but, if they are making money off of us, then the players want what is due. It is a very frustrating and unfortunate situation and it is pushing people away from wanting to represent their country.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 03:50:01 AM »
new technical director Kendall Walkes quietly begun his duties with the local football body earlier this month. Walkes is a former technical director at West Chester University in the United States and the third successive North American-based appointment from current general secretary Sheldon Phillips, after men’s head coach Stephen Hart and

So there you have it. It is official then. It would have been nice if the TTFA  had an official presentation of Kendall to the public. If that was done, I missed it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:51:58 AM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pan Am soccer tournament eagerly awaited by fans of Canada and T&T
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 06:41:56 AM »
Pan Am soccer tournament eagerly awaited by fans of Canada and T&T
By Ron Fanfair (sharednews.com)

Corey Howard will be rooting for two teams – Canada and Trinidad & Tobago – at this year’s Pan Am Games soccer tournament.

Playing with a Scarborough club that includes some members with T&T heritage makes him aware that they wear their heart on their sleeve.

“I know that Trinidadians express their emotions in a free manner and openly support their birth country, so this will be no different,” he said at last Friday’s draw. “I will be pulling for them and Canada.”

With T&T consul general Dr. Vidhya Tota-Maharaj and Scotiabank Caribbean Carnival chief executive officer Denise Herrera-Jackson – a T&T immigrant – in attendance, the twin-island republic was drawn in the same group with defending champions Mexico, Paraguay and Uruguay.

T & T will be seeking to medal for the first time since securing a bronze at the 1967 Games in Winnipeg.

In that tournament, T&T drew 1-1 with Mexico and defeated Argentina 1-0 and Colombia 5-2 to advance to the semi-finals, where they lost 3-1 to Bermuda. The Caribbean side fell 4-1 to Canada in the third-place playoff game.

This is the eighth time that T&T is participating in the Games for Under-22 players.

The twin-island republic is also fielding a women’s team in the tournament for just the third time.

They are grouped with Mexico, Argentina and Colombia.

Defending women’s champions Canada is in the other group with Ecuador, which it plays on July 15; Costa Rica, which it meets four days later and Brazil, which it faces on July 19.

The national men’s team begins its campaign on July 12 against four-time champions Brazil.

They play Games’ debutants Panama four days later and Peru on July 20.

Canada finished fourth in the last two Games on home soil in Winnipeg in 1967 and 1999, when Scarborough-born Dwayne DeRosario scored the tournament’s first goal in a 1-1 draw with Costa Rica.

“Playing in that competition was definitely a dream come true for me as a kid,” said DeRosario, who scored both goals in Canada’s second game, a 2-0 victory over T&T.

“Having the opportunity to represent my country at the highest level was the ultimate for me. When I was called up, it was one of the greatest moments of my life.”

The United States did not enter teams in this year’s tournament to be played at the new CIBC stadium in Hamilton.

“Soccer is one of the most popular sports in the world,” said the Games’ chief executive officer, Said Rafi.

“This summer’s tournament offers fans a chance to witness top players from across the Americas in intense competition and the passionate displays of national pride that are often associated with the game.

This is what the Pan Am Games are all about.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lucky4life

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 05:31:07 PM »
Some 22 athletes plus officials are expected to leave this afternoon for Nassau, The Bahamas, for the second instalment of the IAAF World Relays.

Despite a few last-minute withdrawals, team manager Marie Tavares is feeling pretty good heading into the championships, as the team looks to make a statement.

The University of Technology/MVP Track Club block of sprinter Kemarley Brown, the second fastest Jamaican last year; the fast rising Julian Forte; world leader in the 100m Elaine Thompson; Commonwealth Games bronze medal winner Janieve Russell; Jamaica's fastest in the 200m and second fastest in the 400m so far this year, Shericka Jackson; fast-rising sprinter Andrew Fisher, Christania Williams and middle-distance competitors AndrÈ Thomas and Jeromia Riley, have all pulled out of the squad.

Thomas and Riley's withdrawal resulted in the complete scratching of the men's 4x800m team, resulting in Jo-wayne Hibbert and Ricardo Cunningham's names also being taken off the list, significantly reducing what was originally a 44-member outfit.

However, Tavares is not expecting any major shortfall.

With titans Usain Bolt, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Novlene Williams-Mills and Warren Weir among the established names expected to make the trip to The Bahamas, Tavares, who also serves as assistant general secretary of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA), remains positive that the team can match or better last year's second-place finish in the points table.

"Things are looking fine, we are looking forward to the event and I'm sure the athletes are eager to do well at the World Relays," Tavares told The Gleaner.

"It's unfortunate that we have had several withdrawals, but I think our team is still extremely strong and we are all expecting them to do well regardless.

"I was just told that they (withdrawn athletes) wouldn't be making it. They all went to the Penn Relays and competed there, so perhaps that had something to do with it," added Tavares.

Disappointed by pullouts

"It is disappointing that they won't be making the trip, but we can't avoid it. It is what it is and we will have to make the best of the situation and work with who will be there. We know they won't let us down and it may very well make everyone else work even harder," Tavares added.

Jamaica ended last year's IAAF World Relays in second place with 41 points, 19 less than champions the United States.

"I'm confident that the presence of Usain Bolt and the other senior members of the team will help everyone to rise to the occasion," Tavares said. "Once our athletes give of their best, that's all we can ask for. I can't say that we will definitely go one better and beat the US, but all we ask and hope for is that everyone can give their best.

"I don't think we will be doing any worse than we did last year, that's for sure," Tavares said.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »
Thanks,Lucky,  but this  should be in TF!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »
TTFA not ready for Pan Am Games.
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

More than a week ago, The Pan Am Games committee decided upon the eight competing teams that will participate in the football tournament, both men and women. Following the Concacaf qualifying series for the Women’s world cup, I assumed that there will be some enthusiasm among the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) with regards the women players to have them engage in intense competition against teams like Argentina, Columbia and Mexico.

The men’s team is also involved against Uruguay, Paraguay and Mexico for their preliminary round. It has always been my belief that Pan Am Games is probably the strong football competition in the region, simply because it includes countries from both the Concacaf and the Conmebol.

Many will be surprised to know that the only medals won by team sports of field hockey and football were in the Pan Am Games. Our hockey team won the silver medal and the footballers won the bronze in 1967 when the Games were staged in Winnipeg, Canada.

Our current teams have been drawn against these top South American countries, a factor which should have sent their training programmes to full throttle in order to prepare for the July encounter. However, on listening to a radio programme some days ago, I was shocked to hear a report through an interview in which the team captain Maylee Attin Johnson, who was terribly disappointed that nothing was done about the women’s programme since the last Ecuador match. No training session, no information as to what the schedule will be and how soon.

One day later, I saw an announcement on the newspaper that the Yugoslavian coach, Vranes Zoran was appointed to coach the Pan Am men’s programme. It is always difficult to understand the operations of the ruling body when it comes to preparing national teams well in advance of big tournaments.

The dates for these games have been in place well over one year, which allows every country to begin their preparations early and make a positive contribution when the teams take the field with National colours. Instead, we are hearing from the women’s captain about an absence of planning or team preparation, plus no organised communication with the secretariat on the issue.

In a style that has now become in this country, the job of head coach for these two teams have never been advertised, which does not allow any of the local coaches to have an opportunity to be interviewed for these positions. Having followed the last Olympic team when they played really well in the final qualifying series for the London 2012 Olympics, I felt that the continuity for preparation would have been given to some of the coaches who have shown good work with the young players over the past few years.

Honestly, it is my humble view that selecting coaches must be preceded by advertising the position. Any other policy is another form of disrespect for the locals. Some months ago, we had been subjected to the choice of an American coach for the women’s squad for the world cup qualifying series. It was probably the biggest secret at the time, especially when the goodly gentleman appointed his son as a replacement for him during the training sessions in Trinidad.

It is also amazing how the country’s clubs do not take issue with these irresponsible decisions, many of which end up with our teams being underprepared for competition. There are three full months before these teams take the field in Canada and they are already late with their team planning and preparations.

No one has spoken about how this programme will be funded. I suppose that they are awaiting a day or two before the teams are ready to leave for the games, before they let the country know where the funding will be available. In this year of the country’s elections, the government will be busy with their campaign trails and who knows whether or not funding will be available for the squads.

I suppose that the presence of the former national footballer Brent Sancho in the seat of Sports Minister in the Ministry of Sport has placed the sport in a comfort zone for financial assistance, even without a budget. There shall still be great expectation that the teams will beat the shirts off their opponents. Despite a sluggish administrative commencement of their plans.

It is time that the administrative duties of the TTFA be better organised, otherwise, we shall never see the type of progress on the football field in the manner that would make us proud.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 04:16:41 AM »
Ladies and Gents welcome to my city! If you'll be attending the games, all the football will be held in Hamilton..place I've been calling home for quite a while now. I'm swamped with work, but if you need any help planning your trip, feel free to reach out. I'm here to help as long as time permits.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
Canadian women’s Pan Am soccer team may get stronger with some U.S. help
By Steve Milton (Hamilton Spectator).

It could come down to a couple of U.S. college athletic directors, but it appears that the Canada women's soccer team at next month's Pan Am Games will be much stronger, and more exciting, than originally anticipated.

John Herdman, head coach for the national team and overseer of the women's program in this country, told The Spectator that he wants at least four players from the roster that beat England 1-0 last Friday at Tim Hortons Field in a Canadian Pan Am uniform when that tournament opens in Hamilton July 10.

Two months ago, Danny Worthington, head coach of the Pan Am team and Herdman's assistant with the senior national team, told The Spectator that any player who made the roster of the Canadian team for the Women's World Cup, which began Saturday, would not be in Hamilton.

The concept was always that the Pan Am team would be an Olympic developmental team, aiming primarily to establish the core of the 2019 World Cup and 2020 Olympic teams, while fast-tracking the development of a player or two for the 2016 Olympics.

But Herdman told The Spectator that two of the players who have made the World Cup team and saw game action last Friday here —19-year-old midfielder Ashley Lawrence, and 17-year-old star-in-the-making Jessie Fleming who substituted for Lawrence in the 76th minute — will be in Hamilton if Canada Soccer can secure permission from their university teams.

Nineteen-year-old defender Kadeisha Buchanan, who also made the World Cup team as Canada begins its transition from the 2012 Olympic roster, is another player whom Herdman and Worthington will bring to Hamilton if her team, West Virginia University, agrees to allow her to miss more time. Lawrence also plays at West Virginia, while Buchanan would need to secure permission from Duke.

Duke would also have to release sophomore midfielder Rebecca Quinn of Toronto, another player Worthington and Herdman want for the Hamilton games.

"They've taken a lot of time away from school for the national team," Herdman said.

The coaches also want Brampton's Sura Yekka, likely to be another future cornerstone, to play in Hamilton but she's headed into her first year on scholarship at Michigan, "and might not be available because of the NCAA commitment," Worthington said this week.

Herdman said, "the girls have missed a lot of school (with the national team tryout camps) already.

"Our goal is to get those players, if we can fit in their academics and make it work, to another major tournament. So straight after we win the World Cup we fly with them straight into Hamilton for the Pan Am tournament.

"We said we'd absolutely make this a youth tournament to build that Olympic team of the future. So it's not about the older players who didn't get a game in the World Cup, but the future.

"Our goal is to really create an Olympic development team and to make sure that players of a younger age are given a chance to play together."

Worthington had a U-20 training camp last month and invited six recent grads of that program to participate. The best of that group will form the bulk of the Pan Am roster.

The No. 1 goalie is likely to be a veteran though: 28-year-old Stephanie Labbe, the third goalie on the World Cup team, who is looking to replace Karina LeBlanc when she retires from international play after June's World Cup, is the fourth player of last Friday's roster Canada Soccer wants here.

"We're going to get these players as many as five top international matches in Hamilton," said Worthington, "It's a great opportunity."

He also said that Canada Soccer had already submitted its proposed Pan Am roster to the Canadian Olympic Committee on Monday, and the makeup of the team will be announced on June 19.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
see e-mail  below for plans in the T.O to support the warriors @ d games.
====
Sent: April 24, 2015 11:55 PM
Subject: Calling all Soca Warriors

Folks, the draws for the Pan Am Games football tournament which involves both men and women teams from Trinidad and Tobago were recently completed and my cricket club, Kaisoca CC, is planning to muster up some support to travel to Hamilton to support our teams.

Here are the details : We will be making the trip for four preliminary matches, three men's matches and 1 women's match. Why 1 match for the women? Kaisoca is a cricket club and has matches on the weekends when there are 2 women matches so we cannot go on those days but you are free to attend on your own.

Dates are :  Tuesday July 13th. 5:30pm : T&T vs Uruguay       Men
                   Wednesday July 14th. 8:30pm : T&T vs Columbia   Wome
                   Friday July 17th.  8:30pm   : T&T vs Paraguay     Men
                   Tuesday July 21st. 5:30pm :  T&T vs Mexico       Men

I will be arranging with the stadium as to which section we have to buy tickets for and what musical instruments we will be allowed to take in the stadium as well as what length the flag poles must be.

If we do not get our $10.00 Soca Warriors t'shirts, then I am asking all supporters to wear red ; hats, wigs, bandanas, pants and rags.

We should meet outside the stadium at least 3 hours before the match to ' warm up ' to DJ music before marching into the stadium.

Everyone must find their own way down to Hamilton and purchase their own ticket since there is a difference in price for juniors and seniors.

Please pass this mail to anyone who you think is a Canadian / T&T soca warrior.

Feel free to contact me if there are any questions or comments.

We would like to have over 500 T&T supporters with their RED clothes and flags and musical instruments.

Cheers
George Maharaj
905-621-6157

I know George, his daughter is a friend of mine...

Will go to the games and check it out...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »
Panama U23s to start Pan American Games training
CONCACAF.

PANAMA CITY, Panama – The Panama under-23 national team will open a training camp on Monday to start preparations for the upcoming Pan American Games, which is to be played July 12-26, 2015, in Toronto.

Head coach Leonardo Pipino, who was also in charge of the Canaleros’ side at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand earlier this month, has called in 20 players.

The roster is highlighted by the inclusion of defender Fidel Escobar, who was Panama’s top scorer at the U-20 World Cup with two goals in three games.  Other under-20 players earning invitations include defender Chin Hormechea and goalkeeper Jaime De Gracia, both of whom earned spots on the 2015 CONCACAF Under-20 Championship’s Best XI team.

Pipino will hold double sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, while Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays will consist of single workouts.

PANAMA UNDER-23 ROSTER

(Pan American Games training camp, starting June 15, 2015)

GOALKEEPERS: Jaime De Gracia

DEFENDERS: Fidel Escobar, Josue Flores, Luis Fraiz, Chin Hormechea, Richard Peralta, Jan Vargas, Dario Wright

MIDFIELDERS: Edgar Yoel Barcenas, Pedro Jeanine, Jairo Jimenez, Jose Muñoz, Francisco Narbon, Josiel Nuñez, Jhamal Rodríguez

FORWARDS:Jorman Aguilar, Ricardo Clarke, Jesus Gonzalez, Elieser Powell, Ervin Zorrilla
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:00:32 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »
Confirmed: Canada has included three players from the current Women's World Cup roster (Buchanan, Fleming, and Lawrence) in its squad for the Pan Am Games.

Canada squad (women)

Goalkeepers: Kailen Sheridan, Stephanie Labbé

Defenders: Kadeisha Buchanan, Kinley McNicoll, Victoria Pickett, Rebecca Quinn, Chelsea Stewart, Shelina Zadorsky

Midfielders: Jessie Fleming, Emma Fletcher, Sarah Kinzner, Ashley Lawrence, Danica Wu

Forwards: Janine Beckie, Gabrielle Carle, Nkem Ezurike, Marie Levasseur, Nichelle Prince

Since football was included for women, starting with the 1999 Games, Canada has medalled three times. Canada, playing in Group B, will face Ecuador on July 11, Costa Rica on July 15, and Brazil on July 19.

Canada squad (men)

Goalkeepers
: Maxime Crépeau, Ricky Gomes

Defenders: Kevon Black, Adam Bouchard, Alex Comsia, Jackson Farmer, Jonathan Grant, Manjrekar James

Midfielders: Kevan Aleman, Manuel Aparicio, Louis Béland-Goyette, Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé, Chris Manella

Forwards: Molham Babouli, Hanson Boakai, Caleb Clarke, Raheem Edwards, Ben Fisk

The men (playing in Group A) face Brazil on July 12, Panama on July 16, and Peru on July 20. This will be the men's first appearance at Pan Ams since 1999.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
Ladies and Gents welcome to my city! If you'll be attending the games, all the football will be held in Hamilton..place I've been calling home for quite a while now. I'm swamped with work, but if you need any help planning your trip, feel free to reach out. I'm here to help as long as time permits.

to hell with football, yes..If anything we coming for yuh Pelau, chef Jumbie  ;)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
Now that our Olympic team is eliminated and we still have some time for the upcoming Pan-Am games to properly prepare a team and save face, I wonder if the TTFA have any plans to start training/playing games with the team and maybe adding a few foreign based players from now?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 05:28:34 AM »
Flex yuh asking to much, de TTFA can't think so far ahead.

Besides, de squad name and nobody eh know who is de coach and where and when they training.

T&T men's Pan-Am squad: Montell Joseph, Maurice Ford, Alvin Jones, Jesus Perez, Neveal Hackshaw, Jomal Williams, Tristan Hodge, Shannon Gomez, Nathaniel Garcia, Shackiel Henry, Xavier Rajpaul, Dwight Quintero, Jelani Felix, Neil Benjamin Jr, Dario Holmes, Aikim Andrews, Jovan Sample and Kadeem Corbin.

Ah hope they go for they Canadian VISA soon and doh wait.

They totally ignoring de foreign base players, de TTFA is really a big joke.

They really giving T&T a bad image, no wonder no one wants to sponsors them.

Imagine they drop Ricardo John, Rundell Winchester and Akeem Roach, all de players who have been scoring for this team.

They pick a squad of defenders.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:35:41 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 06:23:58 AM »
I don't think TTFA will get that type of problems with Canada. Unlike the U.S., I Would think the Canadaian authorities would work with TT to get the visas. Plus Canada is a Commomwealth country.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »
Nah Sam, I doubt they will overlook the foreign players?

Do you have a list?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:00:37 AM »
John, Enil, Muckette drafted into squad.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The trio of US-based players Ricardo John, Aaron Enil and Dwane Muckette were drafted into the T&T men’s football team for the Pan American Games which takes place in Toronto, Canada later this month.

This was confirmed by team manager David Muhammed who stated that the trio who were all part of the Olympic (Under-23) team which ended second to St Vincent and the Grenadines in their three-team Caribbean Football Union Group qualifiers for the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games will replace Central FC striker Dwight Quintero, goalkeeper Montell Joseph, and senior team call-up Kadeem Corbin, who left yesterday as part of the senior Soca Warriors squad for the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup which begins in the USA on July 7.

At the Pan American Games, T&T will face Uruguay (July 13), Paraguay (July 17) and Mexico (July 21) in pool play.

Looking ahead to the tournament, T&T coach, Serbian-born Zoran Vranes who was at the helm of the T&T Olympic team which ended its qualifying campaign with a 5-0 thrashing of host Puerto Rico after a 3-5 loss to St Vincent and the Grenadines said he was pleased that his side bounced back.

“I am happy to see the boys come back and play this way. It has been a long few weeks for them, you know, preparing for the tournament and then coming here to get knocked out after one loss,” Vranes said.

“But I know their capabilities and they were able to put the loss behind them and focus on this game. I think the early start helped us and we never looked back.

“Now we have a few days to prepare for the Pan American Games. The players are anxious because they all would like to play against these quality teams. They want to do well for the country and I think this will be a great opportunity for them to go there and do something good and get the experience for the future.”

Team

Aaron Enil, Shannon Gomez, Maurice Ford, Alvin Jones, Jesus Perez, Neveal Hackshaw, Jomal Williams, Tristan Hodge, Nathaniel Garcia, Dwane Muckette, Shackeil Henry, Xavier Rajpaul, Ricardo John, Jelani Felix, Neil Benjamin Jr, Dario Holmes, Aikim Andrews, Jovan Sample.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »
Fears of a Pan Am Games flop: Toronto faces empty hotel rooms, unsold tickets and angry locals
By Peter Kuitenbrouwer (Financial Post).

The mascot for the 2015 Pan Am Games, which open in Toronto next week, is a porcupine named Pachi. The porcupine seems an appropriate symbol. Many across greater Toronto have discovered that the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games, like a porcupine, are an uncomfortable creature to embrace.

With a week to go, there are signs that these games, triple the price of the last Pan Am Games, will be an expensive flop — at least when looking at them through an unsentimental lens. It’s true that thousands of athletes will compete in the biggest sporting event in the history of Canada. And the games will give 1,500 accredited journalists a chance to describe the wonders of greater Toronto to viewers and readers from Alaska to the Caribbean and down to Tierra del Fuego. That’s one appeal. “This is a moment when Toronto will look its hot, sizzling, diverse best, and that will be broadcast back to viewers” across Latin America, says Andrew Weir, chief marketing officer for Tourism Toronto.

Still, these are the most expensive Pan Am Games in history, with a budget of $2.5 billion. In economic terms, it is hard to see how Ontario, already running record deficits, will derive a benefit that makes up for the cost.

When it bid for the games in 2009, Ontario produced an economic impact analysis, which concluded that the games would create 26,000 jobs and grow Ontario’s real GDP by $3.7 billion. That report is not public and a spokesperson for Ontario’s Pan Am Games Secretariat suggested a reporter file a Freedom of Information request to obtain a copy. The spokesperson did not respond to numerous requests for an interview with someone who could explain the economic benefit.

But already there are signs that the 250,000 tourists that organizers expect for the Games may not show up. Organizers set the 1.5-million tickets starting at $20, but have sold fewer than half, and the games start in a week. Hotels in Toronto fear they will welcome fewer visitors than they did last summer.

“We are very, very worried,” says Terry Mundell, president of the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, which represents 170 hotels across the city, with 36,000 hotel rooms. “A lot of our hotel partners are running below their levels from last year.” He remains hopeful that guests will book at the last minute.

And, as Mundell points out, city authorities have been sending out conflicting messages to potential fans. They plead with commuters to carpool or use transit during the games or work from home. At the same time, they want everybody to come to town to see the Pan Am Games.

Which is it: come to Toronto, or don’t come to Toronto?

“The overwhelming message of these Games is ‘Stay away from Toronto, it’s going to be chaos.'” says Todd Smith, MPP, Prince Edward-Hastings.

The most tangible symbol of the games to date came this past Monday, when the region began enforcing new, extra restrictive High Occupancy Vehicle lanes on highways. That snarled traffic across greater Toronto and enraged motorists, perplexed why authorities chose to manufacture traffic chaos two weeks before the games even started.

Only journalists accredited to the games, athletes, buses, taxis and cars with three or more occupants may use the lanes. John Tory, the mayor of Toronto and a big booster of the Games, called on the province to let cars with two people use the lanes, which used to count as “high occupancy.” Organizers have not budged.

"Part of our challenge is to get a balanced message out,” says Mundell. “If you are coming in through Porter (Airlines, which flies out of the downtown airport), you are in the heart of the city. If you are coming down for a few days to enjoy it, you can get in. People have to get the message that there is a real reason to come here, and that is the Games. It’s the place to be.”

Also, more than just athletes and tourists will come to Toronto. The International Economic Forum of the Americas shifted its Toronto event from October to July, to coincide with the games, renaming it the Toronto Global Forum—Panamerican Edition. A few high-profile Hispanics will attend, including Daniel Servitje, chief executive of Mexico-based bakery giant Grupo Bimbo, as well as the leaders of Grenada, Bermuda, Aruba and the British Virgin Islands. But the two headliners, Shimon Peres, former prime minister of Israel, and Ben van Beurden, CEO of Royal Dutch Shell, are hardly symbols of the Americas.

“This is a huge opportunity to bring an economic flavour to the games,” insists Nicholas Rémillard, chief executive of the non-profit Economic Forum. “Leaders in health, trade, energy, finance, governance — they will see how Ontario is a good place for investment.”

A key part of the games’ strategy is to market this region to potential tourists.

“We have all been working together for years on this,” says Tourism Toronto’s Weir. “We have hosted hundreds of media from those markets (in Latin America) to build more awareness of Toronto. The economic benefit will be long-term growth in tourism demand in key markets such as Mexico and Brazil.”

But Marvin Ryder, a professor of marketing at the De Groote School of Business in Hamilton, is not so sure.

“The GTA will be wonderfully showcased for 2½ weeks,” he says. “We will be the green leafy Ontario and happy smiling people. But the long-term impact is highly questionable. When it’s over, people won’t remember that we were a part of it.”

Big, glitzy sport facilities, with $500 million in funds from Ottawa, are a key part of the games’ legacy. Hamilton has a new $146-million football stadium for Pan Am soccer games, though it isn’t in its struggling west end where the stadium might have been part of some urban renewal plan. Instead the new stadium went up where the old one was: surrounded by houses, so that it has 22,000 seats and 212 parking spaces.

Toronto has a new $205-million aquatics facility in the east end and a $45-million stadium in the north end. Markham, north of Toronto, has a $79-million gym for badminton, ping pong and water polo. Another jewel is the $56-million velodrome in Milton, paid for mainly with federal money, its track built with spruce imported from Russia.

But who will pay to keep the lights on in these sports chateaux once the athletes leave? Milton agreed to host the velodrome after Markham and Hamilton rejected it as a white elephant.

“My concern is 2016, 2018,” says Rick Malboeuf, a Milton city councillor who voted against the velodrome. “The wood has to be maintained at a certain temperature. How is it going to hold up? There is a honeymoon, but my concern is that the novelty will wear off.” Montreal’s velodrome from the 1976 Olympics became the Biodome; Montreal replaced the cyclists with penguins. Atlanta dismantled its velodrome after the 1996 Olympics.

“Is there enough money, enough volume to sustain a velodrome?” asks Ryder. “Historically that answer has been no.”

Among other benefits, Toronto opened a rail link from its airport to downtown in advance of the Games. The athletes’ village will become a mix of market and affordable homes after the Games.

A year ago the Ontario Chamber of Commerce released a report: Beyond the Finish Line: Ensuring a Successful Legacy for the 2015 Pan Am and Parapan American Games. It raised concerns. Ontario does scant trade with Latin America, the report noted, and needs to do more to attract students from the Americas. It also warned that traffic snarls could hurt Ontario’s trade flows, and added, “many major sporting events have actually coincided with a decrease in tourism as regular tourists and business travellers stay away from crowds.”

Now Allan O’Dette, chief executive of the chamber, is upbeat on the games. His wife has tickets for trampoline and gymnastics events.

“Let’s get on with it,” he says. “The government has taken bold steps on infrastructure. Maybe people might want to step back and celebrate what’s happening.”

Cesar Palacio, a city councillor in Toronto originally from Ecuador, criticized games organizers two years ago for excluding the Latino community. He, too, has changed his tune. “Constructive criticism brought common sense from the bureaucracy,” he says now; an advisory committee of Toronto Latinos has helped shape what the Games will be, and Palacio is ready to party.

“I’ve been buying tickets but most are sold out,” he says. “I was trying to get basketball. It’s sold out. Soccer I got just one ticket.”

Take a sneak peek of the athlete's village and listen to lukewarm resident feedback on the games
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:48:11 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »
Bright's Grove's Ramesh Jagoo one of 23,000 Toronto 2015 volunteers    
By Terry Bridge (Sarnia Observer).

Ramesh Jagoo had no idea what a simple walk through Germain Park would lead to.

Jagoo moved to Canada from Trinidad and Tobago in 1969, initially studying and working in Montreal before being transferred to Sarnia's Union Carbide, now Nova Chemicals, in '76. One year later, he was walking with his children through Germain and saw a familiar scene.

“That looks like cricket,” he recalled thinking. “I walk by, and sure enough.”

Jagoo played the sport while growing up in Trinidad, even representing his high school, but hadn't picked up a bat or ball in 10 years.

Nevertheless, he was convinced to join the Sarnia Cricket Club and eventually became president for 25 years while simultaneously climbing the executive ladder of the Southern Ontario Cricket Association, Ontario Cricket Association, and Cricket Canada. His duties at the national level included vice-president, general secretary and manager of the Canadian team.

The 70-year-old Bright's Grove resident has since stepped away from those duties, but his lengthy resume helped him land a role as a National Olympic Committee (NOC) and National Paralympic Committee (NPC) assistant for the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games.

Jagoo is assigned to be a liaison for a specific country for each event – he will be with the Jamaicans for the Games and the Canadians for the Parapan portion – and his main responsibilities include face-to-face client service for each delegation, transportation, communicating between the Toronto 2015 committee and the NOC or NPC, and just generally filling out any request on behalf of the assigned delegation.

“Anything they want. We're like babysitters,” he said. “Our duty at the (athlete's) village is to make their stay in Canada and at the Games as comfortable as possible.”

It is, though, a job carrying more responsibility than other gigs such as ripping tickets or ushering, although Jagoo initially thought he wouldn't receive any position at all, figuring he had applied too late into the process.

Volunteer applications were being accepted last fall, but he didn't decide to submit one until late January. He went through a video interview featuring 10 questions about his previous volunteerism, training and international experience.

“That was neat,” he said.

By the end of March, though, he still hadn't heard back and figured he'd missed out.

“And then, bingo, in April I got an e-mail and a call that I'd been selected,” he said. “I took a chance (applying late). I was lucky.”

Since being placed, he's had four separate training sessions consisting of about 25 hours in total, all in Toronto. The most recent meeting was last Saturday where he was able to check out the 95-per-cent-completed athlete's village, a 35-plus-acre facility located downtown.

Jagoo was impressed with the setup.

“Everything that you have in a village, they've got there. Shops and stores and restaurants and banks, a small hospital, park area,” he said. “Beautiful.”

There they were taught the importance of respecting both the facility and the athletes.

“Don't bug them for things like pictures and autographs and things like that, because they've gone to work and they're coming home and they want to rest and they want to feel relaxed,” he explained.

The volunteers have their own area designated as the athletes services building.

Follow this parade of numbers for a minute: This summer close to 7,000 athletes from 41 countries will be competing in 36 Pan Am sports and 15 Parapan Am sports spread across 30 venues.

But this is perhaps the most significant number: Having Jagoo and around 23,000 other volunteers agree to sign up is the only way the event is possible.

“Take the volunteers away, there's no Games,” he said.

Jagoo moves to the village July 2, with the Jamaicans set to arrive July 4 and the opening ceremonies slated for July 10. He's one of six Jamaican liaisons, all from Southwestern Ontario, and they'll have to work together as they're scheduled to be available from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. each day.

To be effective in this role, he'll be able to draw on his cricket management expertise which culminated in receiving a special achievement award in sports from the Ontario government in 1990.

Locally, he was honoured by the Sarnia mayor's list in 1992 and inducted into the Sarnia-Lambton Sports Hall of Fame in 2008, partly because of his determination to grow the game at the youth levels by, at one time, having cricket played in every school in Lambton County.

“It was very touching,” he said.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »
Any updates on the team? no press officer ?

and would love to hear the media side as to why Enil was dropped, then added, then dropped again

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 03:18:17 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 03:56:23 AM »
Funding woe$ again
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

IN A near-virtual repeat of the issue which gained nationwide, and even global condemnation last October, members of the national women football team, dubbed the “Women Soca Warriors”, yesterday threatened to boycott their flight, and henceforth miss the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada due to lack of stipends and per diems for the 18-member squad.

Nearly a year ago, then team coach Randy Waldrum highlighted the fact that the players arrived in Houston, Texas, United States, for the CONCACAF Women’s Championships, with only US$500 as spending money.

Over the weekend, veteran striker Kennya Cordner took to Facebook to lament the lack of financial assistance towards the team, particularly from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), as the respective players were each given US$600 as stipend for the July 10-26 Games.

Cordner, on her Facebook page, posted on Saturday, “so on Monday 6th of July I would not be going to Canada without any stipend .This is ridiculous. Now I would let people know what allyuh about TTFA, because this is not fair to us. Why must the men be in comfort while we suffer? Not any more, I’m so fed up of you all treating us like this no more.”

On Sunday, Cordner, again on her Facebook page, commented, “as I lay in my bed and think back! You know it was never about the money when coming to play for our country, we always used to go and play and fight for the red, white and black.

“But it is the constant disrespect from the TTFA I cannot take .A few months ago we brought this country together, we changed the face of women’s football but yet still we are treated like we are nobody why must that be? It’s unfair to us, look we have Pan Am Games and not even a practice game. Why because we not worth it? Ladies it’s about time we stop taking the disrespect because we are human not robots,” she declared.

Contacted for a comment, Sports Minister Brent Sancho stated that he was informed of the developments on Sunday night. “But I assured them that I would have discussions with the (TTFA) with relation to it,” he said. “So they eventually decided that they were going to play.”

The Sports Minister emphasised, “my main concern is that we didn’t have a second Houston scenario. I wanted to make sure I do everything in my power, to make sure that they got on the flight and represented the country. I must admit I am a bit disappointed that everything has come to (this).”

Most of the players on the current TT team were on the same squad who struggled last year to receive financial aid from the TTFA.

And Sancho pointed out, “the Ministry have gone above and beyond. We’ve been housing these players since the start of the WPL (Women’s Premier League). The question is what is happening with the TTFA. They keep finding themselves in this situation.”

Concerning the players’ threat to skip the Pan Am Games as a mark of protest, the Sports Minister noted, “a lot of them were frustrated that, despite all that happened the last time, they’ve come back to the same juncture - it’s really heart-wrenching. We’re hoping to have a conversation with the (TTFA) this week so they can explain what is really going on.

“I have met with them about five or six times over the past two months, and they have not once put in any sort of request for the women’s team.”

However, Sheldon Phillips, general secretary of the TTFA, described the entire episode as “a case of misinformation.”

He admitted, “we were able to resolve the issue. Currently, the situation is, the Ministry has told us that the funds they said were available, we didn’t have access to it. We had decided to call upon some emergency funding from CONCACAF in order to get partial payments of per diems to the players that were leaving for the Pan Am Games. We hope to get the funds that the Ministry said that were available for us several weeks ago.”

Asked how much funds were supplied to the players, Phillips replied, “the funding for that really comes from the TTOC (TT Olympic Committee).

“We are able to, from the TTFA funds, commit to US$600 per player, and the remaining money, what we have budgeted from the subvention, from the allocation from the Ministry of Sport.”

About the players’ proposed plan to boycott the Games, Phillips remarked, “we have heard that was an utterance and we got some phone calls from players alerting us to the sentiments of some of the players. It’s something we don’t want to see materialise so we took steps to resolve the matter.”

T&T women fly out to Pan Am games...
T&T Guardian Reports.

Sancho’s intervention saves day for footballers

Minister of Sport Brent Sancho says the threat by some T&T senior women’s team players not to board a flight bound for Canada yesterday would have been realised had it not been for his intervention.

In a telephone interview, Sancho said he convinced the players to take the flight after giving them the assurance that he would look into issues, some of which were made public by one of the players, Kennya Cordner, who took to social media over the weekend in a critical post directed to the T&T Football Association (TTFA).

On Saturday, Cordner posted the following on Facebook: “So on Monday 6th of July I would not be going to Canada without any stipend this is ridiculous now I would let ppl know wat alyuh about TTFA because this is not fair to us, why must the men be in comfort while we suffer not any more I'm so fed up of you all treating us like this no more.”

Then, on Sunday, a day before the team was scheduled to depart for Canada, Cordner posted on the same forum: “As I lay in my bed and think back! You know it was never about the money when coming to play for our country, we always used to go and play and fight for the, but is the Constance (sic) disrespect from the TTFA I cannot take. Few months ago we brought this country together, we change the face of women's football but yet still we are treated like we are no-body why must that be?

It's unfair to us look we have pan am games not even a practice game why because we not worth it? Am asking you TTFA. Going back to wen Coach Randy put up the Twitter post and you all said things would be better for the women's but yet still the lies keep coming smh. Ladies it's about time we stop take the disrespect because we are human not robots. I would always b happy to represent my country, but wen we are being disrespected I would let ppl know.

With these concerns, some players threatened to boycott the event. Sancho said he received a call the night before from one of the players, which brought some of the issues to his attention. He said he wants the TTFA to be “transparent and open.” “They have to let us know what happened.”

Sancho said he could not understand what the issues were in terms of match fees and preparation for the Pan Am Games since the TTFA recently received “Gold Cup money” from Concacaf. “The federation got money from Concacaf for preparation for the Gold Cup and airfare but we (Government) are paying for airfare,” Sancho said.

However, in a subsequent interview, TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips said the Minister may have been mistaken when it came to the figures. “We did not receive $100,000 from Concacaf (for the Gold Cup). We received around $33,000, which did go towards the two Pan Am teams.” He said the association “received an advance” from Concacaf in the absence of Ministry subventions which would have gone toward the Pan American Games.

In terms of the women team’s preparation for the Games, Phillips noted that the ongoing Women’s Premier League (WPL)  featured all national women players and allowed them to prepare through a number of friendly matches, including one against a WPL XI.

The women’s team is scheduled to kick off the account at the Pan American Games on Saturday with a clash against Argentina and will play Colombia and Mexico on July 14 and 18, respectively, at the preliminary stage. The men will face Uruguay (July 13), Paraguay (July 17) and Mexico (July 21).

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:08:01 AM by Flex »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
Anybody could really explain to me what going on with the TTFA, the Ministry and money?

The article regarding the Women says that : Concacaf gave money for the Gold Cup and airfare. What that have to do with Pan Am? Whether is $33, 000 or $100, 000?

Secondly, Sancho says they met 5 or 6 times and not once they ask for money for the Women...? So in all that talk, they didn't talk about all the national team programmes? Whatever money the Ministry give them was for just the senior team then?

Thirdly, Phillips say that TTOC was providing funding for Pan Am games...so why he blaming the Ministry now saying the limited access to money from the Minsitry is what cause this and they had to ask Concacaf for an advance?

Why reporters just don't ask proper questions and stop accepting these non sensical answers?

How hard is it to say : Pan am games cost X amount of money per team. Either the TTFA didn't ask for X amount (in time) or they were denied the money. Simple as that. Is either they got the money from whoever and reallocate (thief) it or did not get the money from whoever.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »
Anybody could really explain to me what going on with the TTFA, the Ministry and money?

The article regarding the Women says that : Concacaf gave money for the Gold Cup and airfare. What that have to do with Pan Am? Whether is $33, 000 or $100, 000?

Secondly, Sancho says they met 5 or 6 times and not once they ask for money for the Women...? So in all that talk, they didn't talk about all the national team programmes? Whatever money the Ministry give them was for just the senior team then?

Thirdly, Phillips say that TTOC was providing funding for Pan Am games...so why he blaming the Ministry now saying the limited access to money from the Minsitry is what cause this and they had to ask Concacaf for an advance?

Why reporters just don't ask proper questions and stop accepting these non sensical answers?

How hard is it to say : Pan am games cost X amount of money per team. Either the TTFA didn't ask for X amount (in time) or they were denied the money. Simple as that. Is either they got the money from whoever and reallocate (thief) it or did not get the money from whoever.

Still trying to sort thru the back and forth myself... suffice to say there's an element of blame to around on all parts, save for the players.  I think that the captain of the team, be it Maylee or whomever might be acting in her stead should probably be liaising more directly with the Administration (with the manager included in the conversation as well) instead of individual players griping via social media... but at the same time the frustrations are understandable and I can't blame Cordner.  As far as I can tell, there is a miscommunication over the stipend amount... the players were given the impression that all they were getting would be $600 US, when in fact that was intended as a partial payment.  Not the first time something like this has happened.  In fact, last October it was the same nonsense (miscommunication) that caused Waldrum's infamous tweet.

But from what I understand, the Ministry allocated funding to cover the stipends for the PanAm senior women's team, but were slow to release the funds, causing the TTFA to scramble and borrow from the GC budget.  Part of the delay might in fact be due to the TTFA dropping the ball in requesting the funds, but that seems contributory, rather than causative.  Either way there's a recurrent lack of professionalism they way certain things are being handled in the TTFA, not calling any particular name (which might be unfair to some within the FA who are trying their best), but it reflects poorly on the management as a whole.  If the Ministry is saying that there was a failure to communicate on the part of the FA, and the FA has a designated employee/agent tasked with liaising with the Ministry, that might be a good place to begin any scrutiny.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
TTOC were covering costs of athletes travelling to PanAm and accommodation (or at least had organised it). So no budget was provided to MoS for women, although money was requested for the U23's for PanAm. 

However, MoS has agreed to assist with match fees.

1]; } ?>