April 19, 2024, 10:56:00 AM

Author Topic: Heart matters an alarming issue.  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Heart matters an alarming issue.
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
Heart matters an alarming issue.
By Shaun Fuentes (Pro Look).

Heart problems in athletes, particularly football players have become an alarming issue in recent years. Last year alone, ten players attached to Football Association clubs including T&T’s Akeem Adams were reported to have died from heart related complications.

On Friday, T&T lost yet another international, this time Defence Force winger Kevon Carter at the age of 30. Local officials are currently discussing more intensely preventative measures for local footballers.

Research indicates that Major League Soccer (MLS) already has one of the most extensive medical screening procedures in US professional sports. It requires all players to undergo EKGs and echocardiograms before each season. The results are evaluated by physicians on site then sent to the league office where they are reviewed again.

Two years ago, those exams showed that defender Zachary Herold, Toronto FC’s top pick in the 2010 SuperDraft, had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), leaving him at risk of developing a potentially fatal irregular heart rhythm. So Herold retired from soccer—at the age of 17.

In addition to the pre- and post-season physicals, the vast majority of the league’s 19 teams—the Galaxy and Chivas USA among them—also use wireless heart-rate monitors about the size of a credit card to track players’ reactions to in-season training.

Christine Lawless, cardiologist for the MLS, laments the recent tragedies but concedes there is no way to be sure they won’t happen again.

“Modern medical science cannot control or be aware of every variable,” she wrote in an e-mail. “The heat index, the player’s hydration, genetics or preexisting conditions—even the fitness level of the player early in a season—any of these and more could be contributing factors.”

Former MLS player Stern John hopes to see improvements in local football to deal with this alarming issue.

“It’s definitely a scary thing. I’m thankful as a player I never experienced heart problems but again I was fortunate to be in England where there were proper systems in place. I hope that locally for the sake of our players we can come out with ways to deal with this. It’s very important for us going forward as a footballing country.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Heart matters an alarming issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:02:52 AM »
I asking bout this since Akeem took een.......still asking.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:26 AM »
Do high school athletes have to turn in a physical before they're allowed to play? I know in my time certainly not but things may have changed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
Do high school athletes have to turn in a physical before they're allowed to play? I know in my time certainly not but things may have changed.

I am not sure if this is mandatory. Maybe some schools take it upon themselves to do it. Even when I played with Essex I never had a yearly medical checkup. It was like "I fit man, I young, them things cyah happen to me". The 74 youth team did take a physical. But it was not as rigorous when I went to try out for Howard in  77. It was like nite and friggin day. From then on, I have taken a physical every year. I am more consistent now that I am over the hill.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:53 AM »
I saw Dexter Pacheco posted on the TTFA Facebook page asking for an update on Clyde Leon's heart problems - I didn't know he had any - what's happening with him is he ok?

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
I saw Dexter Pacheco posted on the TTFA Facebook page asking for an update on Clyde Leon's heart problems - I didn't know he had any - what's happening with him is he ok?
He was in the US doing some test, since then he hasn't played.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA stage ‘Football Emergencies’ workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:39:21 AM »
TTFA stage ‘Football Emergencies’ workshop
T&T Newsday

THE Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) will host a workshop entitled “Football Emergencies” aimed at educating local team physiotherapists on dealing with various injuries and other medical matters.

The course will be conducted by National Senior Men’s Team Doctor Terence Babwah who is also a member of the FIFA Medical Committee.

The Workshop will include lectures and practical sessions to ensure that local teams have emergency coverage should some emergency arise during training or play.

New guidelines on CPR will be presented by T&T Senior Team physio Dave Isaac with practical training also in relation to Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) use and evacuation of an injured player from the field of play.

The seminar starts at 10am at the TTFA offices, Hasely Crawford Stadium today and will run until 3 pm.

Babwah who has been a fixture with the country’s national teams during local and international tournaments said they have got to respond to the problems of heart cases which have been taking lives in recent times.

Only in January the country lost national player Akeem Adams to heart attack and later Defence Force midfielder Kevon Carter.

Babwah admitted that while the ideal thing would have been to have all the players screened for heart related problems which he claimed will be a costly exercise, they feel that it is critical to at least put the physiotherapists of the national teams as well as the physios of other clubs, on the alert of how to deal with these problems.

“They must know what to do just in case players experience heart problems” Babwah said.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »
Central FC staff took part in a defibrillator training exercise yesterday. The Club's portable defibrillator and training was sponsored by Bankers Insurance.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
From left to right ...?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
Central FC staff took part in a defibrillator training exercise yesterday. The Club's portable defibrillator and training was sponsored by Bankers Insurance.

L to R  Marc Leslie, (Coach) Sheldon Scipio, (Physio) Kevin Jeffrey, (Coach) George Romano, (Director of Womens & Youth Football) Vance Gabriel, (CEO Bankers Insurance) Mike Alexander, (Asst Youth Coach) David Douglas,(Course Instructor) Dale Saunders, (Asst Head Coach) Zoran Vranes, (Head Coach) Anthony Rougier, Earl Walters (Club Masseur)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:48:32 AM »
Lots of talent in that room boy. Rougier, nuff respect to you. You should right a book about the trail you blazed in the UK. Daiz too much experience to be kept by yourself with only a few friends privy to access that information.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gregory Mertens: Ex-Belgium U21 player dies after collapse
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
Gregory Mertens: Ex-Belgium U21 player dies after collapse
BBC Sport

Belgian footballer Gregory Mertens has died of heart failure, three days after collapsing during a match.

The 24-year-old Lokeren defender was treated on the pitch during the first half of Monday's reserve-team game with Genk but did not recover after time in hospital on a life-support machine.

A club statement said: "The medical staff have done everything to save Gregory, but they finally had to acknowledge their impotence.

"Gregory passed away at around 16:30."

The former Belgium Under-21 international's condition had worsened since he was taken to hospital in Genk, with doctors giving him little chance of survival.

On Thursday his family agreed his life support should be switched off.

Lokeren say that the exact nature of Mertens's heart condition has yet to be established.

But he passed all pre-season health tests required by Europe's football governing body Uefa, and was judged to be one of the fittest players at his club.

He joined Lokeren in January 2014 from Cercle Brugge and played 15 league games this season, as well as featuring against Hull City in the Europa League in August.

The club statement continued: "Gregory was only one-and-a-half years at the club, but in that short time his quiet modesty made him an indispensable person.

"Now we will have to learn to live with the loss."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
Lord have mercy  :'(  Sad situation. 

Generally speaking, not enough is being done to ensure the safety of these players.  You can't prevent every situation, and in this case they appeared to do all the proper screenings etc.  Hopefully if they didn't have defibrillators on the sidelines before, they'll have them now.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »
W Connection U-15 goalkeeper Israel Corraspe suffers fatal asthma attack.
ttproleague.com.

W Connection Under-15 goalkeeper and Form Three Couva East Secondary student Israel Corraspe passed away on Monday night after suffering a severe asthma attack at his home in St. Mary's Village, Carapichaima. Israel was rushed to the Couva Health Facility but medical staff were unable to resuscitate the teen.

An autopsy, conducted today (Tuesday 5 May), confirmed that the Israel's death was as a result of the severe asthma attack. The 15-year-old aspiring goalkeeper was the only child of parents Kerby and Lisa Corraspe.

W Connection Youth Administrator Debieann Harewood lamented on Israel's passing, saying, "Israel was such a gentle and humble child. And it's a great loss to the club and his community."

Hardwood also mentioned that the youth players and their parents were ready to extend their support to the Corraspe family in whatever way possible.

Israel, who joined Connection this season, last represented the U15 team, coached by former W Connection and Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Clyde Leon, on Sunday 3 May in a 7-1 win over Police FC in Round One Match Day Seven of the Malta Carib 2015 Youth Pro League at the St. James Barracks.

Harewood added, "He had improved so much in the short space of time. He was also excited and looking forward to working under (former W Connection senior team Brazilian goalkeeper) Murilo "Dida" Da Costa who, this week, became our new youth teams' goalkeeping coach."

The TT Pro League, on behalf of its chairman, CEO and board of directors, wish to extend condolences to the family and friends of Israel Corraspe.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
Condolences to Israel's family and to the W Connection community. Ah trust Connection will do  something to recognize the youngster's contributions.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
Very sad news... condolences to his parents.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
Condolences to the Corraspe family.... However with all due respect I believe this story is in the wrong thread.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
Oh no! Condolences to the family!

1]; } ?>