April 26, 2024, 08:19:08 AM

Author Topic: Carnival 2015  (Read 8556 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival 2015
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
Here is link for live coverage of T&T Carnival 2015 Parade of the Bands from the QPS.
 NCBA - The National Carnival Bands Association of Trinidad and Tobago

And here is link for the After Savannah jump up at the Soca Drome: LIVE | Carnival TV
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:49:07 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
thanks man!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Like I said for Miami carnival. It look like one man make all the bikini and beeds costumes for them band

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 01:37:17 PM »
Today is the worst day to be in forrin and on facebook.

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »

Ah know dread.  :'(

Plans in place to attend 2K16
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »

yuh feel dias pressha?

I have flight, costume (Bliss), Jouvert Red Ants.. Machel Monday, Lime Hyatt.. a cooler fete and a breakfast fete booked/tickets. Guess where d fack I is? I didn't even want to get out of bed the last couple days.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »

yuh feel dias pressha?

I have flight, costume (Bliss), Jouvert Red Ants.. Machel Monday, Lime Hyatt.. a cooler fete and a breakfast fete booked/tickets. Guess where d fack I is? I didn't even want to get out of bed the last couple days.

You sick?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »

yuh feel dias pressha?

i woulda gladly go for you bro...anything for a fellow forumite  ;D

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
ppl done start to make a fuss about it, i say he should just shut them down and say he believe in Unity! ;D

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »
Just hearing that All Stars won Band of the year for a second year in a row  :o

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CARNIVAL RAP UP 2015 - CHROMATICS
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »
CARNIVAL RAP UP 2015 - CHROMATICS
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ah6rMS755bg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ah6rMS755bg</a>
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:39:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 01:02:43 AM »
Haha I like that wrap up, it bad....like benji turning to a male stripper with them type of performance, soca does give him he powers

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Come, leh we go... leh we go to Tobago
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 07:15:47 AM »
Come, leh we go... leh we go to Tobago
By Peter Ray Blood (T&T Guardian)
Published: Friday, February 27, 2015

Next year, don’t look for me on the streets of Port-of-Spain in a Carnival band. After almost half a century of playing “town mas” and being involved in Carnival events, I am suffering from burnout and in 2016 intend taking things easier, possibly playing mas in Tobago instead, especially with so many nearby beaches to cool down after a day of revelry.

Based on reports reaching Pulse this year, Tobago had one of its best Carnivals, although having two J’Ouvert celebrations simultaneously—one in Scarborough the other in Roxborough—caused a split, with Scarborough having a meagre turnout of spectators.

The two-day Carnival celebrations launched early on Carnival Monday morning with J’Ouvert; revellers celebrated in the streets of the capital Scarborough until daylight. The party continued throughout Carnival Monday to late Carnival Tuesday with the parade of masquerade bands. Dressed in colourful costumes, masqueraders danced to the rhythm of the latest soca songs that blasted from large music trucks. 

Before the parades, Carnival activities in the sister isle were many and included the Windward Afro Queen Show and Calypso Monarch competitions staged on Valentine’s Day by the Tobago House of Assembly at the Cyd Gray Sporting Complex.

Now in its 46th year, eight contestants, aged 17 to 25, took part in the beauty pageant. Representing Betsy’s Hope, Anna-Lisa Roberts dazzled the judges and was declared the night’s winner.

In the Calypso Monarch competition, nine of Tobago’s most seasoned calypsonians entertained the audience. The event, which began in the village of Roxborough, has continued to grow over the years.

By all reports, Carnival in Tobago was a wonderful and memorable experience for all. Secretary for the Division of Community Development and Culture Denise Tsoiafatt-Angus said: “This year’s Carnival proves you don’t need bacchanal to have a good Carnival...Tobago’s Carnival is not just alive and well, but thriving nicely.”

The culture secretary said there were more spectators and tourists playing mas on Carnival Monday and Tuesday. The Junior Carnival competition, held on Valentine’s Day, also enjoyed an upturn, with over 800 masqueraders.

“The bands showed growth with the increasing numbers of young people and children in costumes,” Tsoiafatt-Angus said. She described the quality of the mas as “undisputedly elevated.”

Pan in the sister isle also made an impact, with 11 bands qualifying for the national Panorama semi-finals this year, of which six reached the finals, a first for the island. An unprecedented ten calypsonians also made it to the national calypso semis.

Tsoiafatt-Angus congratulated those calypsonians, as well as the medium steelbands which participated in the 2015 Panorama finals, including second-placed NLCB Buccooneers, NGC Steel Xplosion (third place) and Petrotrin Katzenjammers (fifth place).

During the briefing, chairman of the Windward Carnival Committee Julian Celestine echoed the secretary’s sentiments of a positive Carnival season.

“Carnival 2015 was a tremendous success for us,” he said, saying 13 schools participated in the Junior Extravagant, up from nine schools last year.

Tsoiafatt-Angus said there was more collaboration between stakeholders, including the Tobago Festivals Commission and the Tobago Carnival Committee, and her division. She commended stakeholders on their “willingness to work together to nurture the potential of Carnival in Tobago.”

Tobago Carnival is also almost entirely crime-free: an attractive feature. Police reported only two incidents of note for Carnival in Scarborough. There were no such reports at Roxborough or Crown Point.

So, after ten years each, of playing mas with Minshall, Berkeley, Poison and Tribe, and a few others in between, in 2016 I will be going to that paradise found by Robinson Crusoe.

The next mega event in Tobago is the 2015 Tobago Jazz Festival, scheduled for April 18-26. It is being headlined by American Grammy Awards winners Jennifer Hudson, Jill Scott and Kool & The Gang, and fast-rising R&B star Miguel.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:15:28 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The ghost of Carnivals past
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »
The ghost of Carnivals past
Friday, March 6 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Yesterday, we featured the first part of writer and filmmaker Dalton Narine’s look at old-time Carnival. Today, Narine concludes with a scathing look at present-day Carnival.

Ah, The Ghost.

In such company, how sated was your humbled one? Does guava cork?

A chant of “We want more” was floated by the dragonflies of yesteryear buzzing around our heads. So the Ghost of Carnival Past and I crossed town to a popular photo studio where Stephen Lee Heung’s Paradise Lost was museumed.

Milton’s legendary poem served as designer Minshall’s big-big-big-time launch on the road. It was 1976, mas in Panavision, a technique of cinematography that afforded the band a wide-angled view of a brand new Eden of costumery and storytelling. I remember jabbing at the old muse’s elbow. “This band was the best I’d watched in all my born days.” Hardly surprised, was he.

Back on the pavement, we reached Maraval Road in two-twos. Less than a blink and we were combing TTT’s copious (in those days, yes) files for Callaloo Company classics, such as Jungle Fever; Danse Macabre (including The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse – the finest collection of characters, my heart tells me); Carnival of the Sea (Devil Ray, Splash, Oil Slick…), Papillon, River, Callaloo and The Golden Calabash.

Fully arrayed were other spectacular presentations, like most of Edmond and Lil Hart’s bands, especially Flag Wavers of Siena, some Raoul Garib gems and Wonders of Buccoo Reef, a depiction by Irwin McWilliams that still mystifies for its pre-Cousteau ecology theme.

Fast track to the general mas in the post-Mancrab era. It’s Saturday. Time to catch the Children’s Carnival celebrations. Show off the new kids on the block to the Muse. Even boast about the cleverness of the generation for perpetuating the art form through the youth movement. Carnival Past embracing Carnival Future.

By dawn the following morning, though, the old fella looked drawn out and  withdrawn. Hours earlier, he’d struggled to bring himself to fathom Panorama, to little avail. He’d scoped out supporters of various steelbands who thought theirs had won.

As we drove past the hospital on the way to champion Renegades Pan Theatre, a weak lamp-post bulb barely picked up a shell-shocked figure bearing the cross of defeat as he stumbled to his own panyard down the street. It was All Stars’ flag man.

As we drove past the hospital on the way to champion Renegades Pan Theatre, a weak lamp-post bulb barely picked up a shell-shocked figure bearing the cross of defeat as he stumbled to his own panyard down the street. It was All Stars’ flag man.

The Muse sighed, then unravelled his emotions about a competition that had become so grand, its scale of importance left so much melancholy for the losers.

But, there it was in the rearview, larger than life, bigger than the imagination—the crowds, the psychedelia, myriad drums, a million notes, stellar egos, stylish arrangements, tongues tripping like trapped mice. How to regard the breadth of this Trini cacophony—this post-modern circus for the Pontius Pilate in all ah we?

Yet, if it’s in we blood, as composer/arranger Ray Holman believes the man in the street believes, who am I to equivocate?

Back in the car, we had a good laugh, the Muse and I, when a soul man DJ popped up on the radio to bray: “In a competition like this there are no losers. It’s a victory for culture.”

What???   

Speaking of which, Dimanche Gras, a well-intentioned, though most boring Carnival event performed on a titanic stage situated between parallel streams of pappyshow and we-culture, an iceberg audience bobbing and weaving like flotsam and jetsam pushing south, past the abattoir (no metaphorical offence given) near the estuary of the Dry River - well that show came and went like death on a slow boat to China. Wouldn’t you know that the Kings and Queens packed sparklers to doll up their acts like cheap lipstick, and the Calypso contest left even the house lights on doze? A collective nod-off it was. We got the hell out of there, sanity intact, and waited for tomorrow, please God.

The intent was to lime till J’Ouvert woke up, though she never really sleeps as much as recover from a pre-party buzz, hit, whatever; drink-ah-rum, even. So we had was to put that event in a nutshell, as well. The mudders and painters coming down like the ol’ Dry River in heat and no bands such as Sheppy’s or Carl Blackman’s to love up. No Blackman ole mas trilogy of The Wedding, The Christening and The Funeral coming out from Darceuil Lane, Belmont. No pan to rev the engine. No Bomb classic to explo. Ay, man, the DJs with their big trucks had hoarded all the dynamite. They’d sucked the energy out of the room. Out of Carnival Monday, too. Dem and the masmen.

And so we broke “biche” that dreary day. Twas the T-shirt and no bra(ss) festival, you hear me.

Tuesday jumped up early, and I took the Ghost of Carnival Past to Woodbrook to view the mas, gay nineties in style. He took it all in snide: how noisy the soca, how pelvic its mind; so ear-splitting the jam, so head-spinning the wine; how lissome the women, how tight their gear; how few the man tribe, how light their care.

The Muse watched as one largely pawpaw-skin mas follow another pawpaw-skin mas, leaving him depressed over the schlock - and concerned about the future.

Brothers and sisters of the soca road march era, the Ghost of Carnival Past swore up and down, like Britain, a cuss-bud ol’ lady from the 50s forever uniformed in a tattered Union Jack smock, that it was the same band passing and passing and passing. In his day, he said, his brow furrowing like the graveyard, masqueraders achieved more with less.

By noon, we’d seen enough waylay waylay. But at nightfall we returned for las’ lap. Even that was out of step and character.

Wading through the frenzy, we met a journalist from Singapore. His views of Trinidad in the Carnival?

The Good (and raunchy): “Rich, poor, black, white and people of colour all go down on the ground to party. That’s where they show their equality.”

The Bad: “Too much liming.”

The Ugly: The Ghost of Carnival Past put up his palm to the visitor’s face, interrupting him. There was a sense of staleness, he said. Ideas and themes brought off too much static. Maybe, he brain-farted, a pause to reflect on Carnival history might help alter direction. He cited the Bailey era when masqueraders participated in the production of mas, organising and choreographing their own colour plate. When lil boys would flock Samaroo’s on Observatory Street, Behind the Bridge, for swansdown to trim Native American costumes and diamond-shaped miniature cuts of looking glass to add decorative art. And a Callaloo stew turning its nose up at the stench next door - the faux-mas, the cook brewing the best the world would come to appreciate; when .... And the old muse paused, looking for the appropriate words to boil it down like bagee.

“The most frightful thing about Carnival,” he said, taking the shortcut, “is the Carnival machinery.”

The Carnival machinery. Government, masmen, PanTrinbago, The Savannah Stage. Why not parade the mas and pan around the Savannah? Which, by the way, was an idea I floated in 1970 in a newspaper piece.

Anyway, the Muse was dead serious. Like a heart attack.

Because, just so, Boop! the apparition drop down, like Kaisoman Spoilo had bragged about himself all his life in his songs.

Look ah want to fall, the Ghost. Dead as a herring. Piss and vinegar leaching out. All the flesh in the mas running from the Muse’s brain like maggots. The maggots turning away from all that flesh, bath suits, bikinis, baubles, bangles, beads, and faux feathers and trinkets, to boot. Was as if, like speed, flesh really kills.

You ever see more? Flesh had callously victimised Old Carnival. The brain could take it no longer, the rudeness. The slackness. And yet, that’s how the ting began – well before the manger materialised into carol. Bacchanalia was cool then, but bacchanal?

Ha! Till death do us part, pardner. We’re in the moment.

Farewell, then.

To the flesh dem.

And so it hang, so it swing, brothers and sisters in the Carnival. Yuh could blame yuhself.

Or the business. But don’t blame mas. Eh-eh.

Even though all mas is devil mas.

See?

Thank you.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kU7Fg770Dmo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kU7Fg770Dmo</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>