March 28, 2024, 06:55:49 AM

Author Topic: Fast and furious: One on one with Kaydion Gabriel.  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Fast and furious: One on one with Kaydion Gabriel.
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:22:33 AM »
Fast and furious: One on one with Kaydion Gabriel.
By Michelle Cox (wired868).

“I was once told that you must not settle for what you have but always push to get more,” said Central FC wing back Kaydion Gabriel. “So that’s what I do… Push myself, work hard and I will hopefully get more.”

Astrologists say that independence is the Sagittarius’ key principle. For Port of Spain-born striker-cum-defender Kaydion Gabriel, he has married his independent spirit to a unit as he tries to align individual performance with the goals of his Pro League employer Central FC.

Gabriel credits his mom, Althomes Evelyn, for the his unique name and his dad, Colin Gabriel, for grounded support. The second of three children, he has strived for independence for as long as he could remember.

Central, otherwise known as the “Couva Sharks”, will be action in the Caribbean Club Championship semifinal and final or third place playoff on May 18 and 22 at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva. While they face Caledonia AIA in the Digicel Pro Bowl final on May 29.

However, Wired868 caught up with the jovial, young gentleman and this is what we found out:

Full Name: Kaydion Gabriel

Nickname: ‘Drogba’ (given since I was small)

Date of birth:  01 December 1990

Number: 15

Present Position: Right Full Back

Home town:  Quiet neighbourhood of Cedar Wood Drive, Morvant – born and bred.

Schools attended and position played:

Belmont Junior Secondary then Malick Secondary Comprehensive where I played right wing under coach, Sterling Figaro.

Something most people do not know about you?

I am a very shy person and I love watching movies. I mostly enjoy watching action movies like Fast and Furious.  Maybe someday, I may star in an action movie but it would have to include football.

How did you get your nickname?

My friend Aquil Selby (who now plays for North East Stars) called me ‘Drogba’ while we played football for Defence Force Juniors. I had no clue who Drogba was. So I looked him up, watched matches he played in and liked what I saw. I tried to put some tweaks from his game into mine.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

After training I watch movies (with a broad smile) and play with my one-year-old daughter, Shania.

What is your favourite dish?

Macaroni pie

What pushes you to succeed?

I love this game and I see this as a career and to make betterment for my daughter. I was once told that you must not settle for what you have now but always push to get more.  So that’s what I do… push myself, work hard and I will hopefully get more.

Which three words best describes you as a person?

Friendly, playful – off the field, on the field – I doh play! And mischievous… in a good way.

Who was your most important coach/coaches and why?

Shurland David, he gave me the opportunity to break into the Pro League at North East Stars. Before him, I was always on the bench.

What makes you stand out as a player?

My fitness level. It allows me the speed and agility to recover the ball and play the game.

Favourite player:

(Again smiling) Other than myself… I would have to say (Central FC teammate) Ataullah Guerra and (Chelsea and Ivory Coast veteran striker) Didier Drogba.

What’s your favourite team?

Locally – Central FC (not because I play with them but because we’re a unique family unit).

Internationally – Chelsea FC.

How do you prepare for a football match?

(First a grin, then a serious face) – I pray, then practice, then snack on TeaTime® or Shortcake biscuits followed by lots of water. I then go out and play football the best way I know how.

What was your best and worst moment in football so far?

Best: Winning the Digicel Pro League 2014-2015 title.

Worst: Last season – working hard and not getting picked to play.

What is your ambition in the game?

To get the opportunity to play professional football in Canada or Europe, or with a Major League Soccer (MLS) team in the US.  (smiling again) A dream would be to play for Chelsea but I know it would take r-e-e-a-a-l work.

What is your target for 2015?

Firstly, capture the CFU title. We qualified for the semi finals of the CFU by beating home team Alpha United in Guyana.  It was my first experience outside of Trinidad and it was a challenge. Next is to try to make the national team and possibly gain international exposure. I’m working on the (CFU) title and my agent is working on the exposure.

Who would you consider to be your greatest fan [that you know]?

My best friend Rickesha Telemaque – we talk before every game.

Do you have any words of inspiration/support for upcoming athletes in this field?

Football is a funny game. You have to be focused on what you want and strive to do better. Don’t worry too much about past games always work for the next game. Hard work pays off.

About The Author

Michelle Cox is a Wired868 freelancer who was born and bred in South Trinidad and lives in the village of La Brea. Cox holds an Associate degree in PR and Journalism and is currently pursuing her BA in Mass Communication at COSTAATT. She has been employed in the energy sector for over 15 years and is the proud mother of daughters Denielle, 10, and Amelia, 6. Her mantra is: ‘the learning never stops until you do and then… you still never know.’

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:26:21 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
Re: Fast and furious: One on one with Kaydion Gabriel.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
Youth hv a nice vibes! Keep grinding... Results will come! Any videos... Highlights of the baller?
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »
Drogba played 22 out of 24 Pro League games this season. However, he took a nasty knock in the CFU semis and will be unlikely to be fit for the CFU finals.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »
Youth hv a nice vibes! Keep grinding... Results will come! Any videos... Highlights of the baller?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tCPeO6kYwAo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tCPeO6kYwAo</a>

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
 :beermug:...rel pace on the right side...man not fraud to run at and take on players....like how he draws in the defense to him thus creating space for the forwards!...speedy recovery on that knock...central for CFU title!!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
Central FC picks Gabriel as top player.
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Striker Kaydion “Drogba” Gabriel was named the Player of the Year at Banker’s Insurance Central FC 2014-2015 End of Season Awards presentation ceremony held at the SIS Auditorium, Rivulet Road, Brechin Castle, Couva on Tuesday evening.

The top-tier Morvant-based athlete and newest addition to the national senior men’s football team clinched the coveted award on the night of honours. But that was not the only major prize he received.

His teammates bestowed him with the Players’ Player of the Year Award. He was then called back to the spotlight to accept the Golden Boot Award. The latter accolade was for his outstanding feat during the Digicel Pro-League during which he emerged as the top scorer.

The award for Goal of the Season went to defender Jamal Jack.

Meanwhile, midfielder Sean de Silva was the favourite among sport journalists and took home the Sport Media Player of the Year Award. The Bankers Insurance Player of the Year Award went to forward Willis Plaza whose return to the team back in January added to Central FC’s magic.

Club director George Romano, who was on the mend having suffered a stroke back in February, received a special recognition award.

But on the night of celebration, Kevin Harrison, operations director at club appealed to players who have openly stated their intent to leave the club at the end of the season, to reconsider.

In local football culture, he said where teams reached their pinnacle, become static and ultimately disbands, Harrison declared that would not be the fate of Central FC.

The team, its technical staff and management, he said, envisioned a more prosperous and exciting future for all its stakeholders and key to that was keeping the existing squad well-knit, while clinching victory at the end of every season.

“It’s been a long season and I know that the management and board never dreamed it would have been as successful as it has been. We have reached the turning point, really, after three years. We have big decisions to make. We can do like many other clubs and play in the Champions League and maybe not play again for six or seven years or we consistently aim at being in Champions League year after year. It’s a big decision, because it means we have to look at our staffing and how we are funded. Personally, now that we have had a taste of it, I want to keep us in the Champions league every year. Why shoot for anything less? he asked

Harrison recalled travelling to Miami, USA for the Champions League draw and being amazed that leading football administrators from around the world knew of Central FC’s accomplishments.

He said, “That to me, after three years, is amazing. Then the football director from LA Galaxy came over and introduced himself. We have seen Jan Michael (Williams) saving penalties. We have seen the best goals. We have seen the performances. We have seen the awards. But really at the end of the day, what you all have achieved this year is amazing. I do believe that when people look back, this team that we put together this season, it would be remembered as one of the best teams ever.”

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:06:26 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
Always nice to see new candidates for the bigger stage. Nothing I like more than a baller with speed.
Many are referencing speed and fitness with this player so there must be some truth in it. Music to the ears of many and BraveHart as wing backs MUST have speed & more than centerbacks or else you will be eaten alive on the wings.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
Central FC picks Gabriel as top player.
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Striker Kaydion “Drogba” Gabriel was named the Player of the Year at Banker’s Insurance Central FC 2014-2015 End of Season Awards presentation ceremony held at the SIS Auditorium, Rivulet Road, Brechin Castle, Couva on Tuesday evening.

The top-tier Morvant-based athlete and newest addition to the national senior men’s football team clinched the coveted award on the night of honours. But that was not the only major prize he received.

His teammates bestowed him with the Players’ Player of the Year Award. He was then called back to the spotlight Guerra was called to accept the Golden Boot Award. The latter accolade was for his outstanding feat during the Digicel Pro-League during which he emerged as the top scorer.

The award for Goal of the Season went to defender Jamal Jack.

Meanwhile, midfielder Sean de Silva was the favourite among sport journalists and took home the Sport Media Player of the Year Award. The Bankers Insurance Player of the Year Award went to forward Willis Plaza whose return to the team back in January added to Central FC’s magic.

Club director George Romano, who was on the mend having suffered a stroke back in February, received a special recognition award.

But on the night of celebration, Kevin Harrison, operations director at club appealed to players who have openly stated their intent to leave the club at the end of the season, to reconsider.

In local football culture, he said where teams reached their pinnacle, become static and ultimately disbands, Harrison declared that would not be the fate of Central FC.

The team, its technical staff and management, he said, envisioned a more prosperous and exciting future for all its stakeholders and key to that was keeping the existing squad well-knit, while clinching victory at the end of every season.

“It’s been a long season and I know that the management and board never dreamed it would have been as successful as it has been. We have reached the turning point, really, after three years. We have big decisions to make. We can do like many other clubs and play in the Champions League and maybe not play again for six or seven years or we consistently aim at being in Champions League year after year. It’s a big decision, because it means we have to look at our staffing and how we are funded. Personally, now that we have had a taste of it, I want to keep us in the Champions league every year. Why shoot for anything less? he asked

Harrison recalled travelling to Miami, USA for the Champions League draw and being amazed that leading football administrators from around the world knew of Central FC’s accomplishments.

He said, “That to me, after three years, is amazing. Then the football director from LA Galaxy came over and introduced himself. We have seen Jan Michael (Williams) saving penalties. We have seen the best goals. We have seen the performances. We have seen the awards. But really at the end of the day, what you all have achieved this year is amazing. I do believe that when people look back, this team that we put together this season, it would be remembered as one of the best teams ever.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »
Call waiting
By Ian Prescott

KAYDION GABRIEL would sprint from his Morvant home to the airport if he got a certain call today. The 24-year-old Central FC utility player is on stand-by for the Trinidad and Tobago national team and waiting for coach Stephen Hart to call him to join the squad currently playing in the United States at the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Although he just missed out making the final 23-man squad by one spot, a stellar season with Central FC, the Trinidad and Tobago and Caribbean Club Champions, makes Gabriel one of those players deserving his call up to the national team. It looks just a matter of time before he is a national team regular.

A dynamo up the flank, Gabriel played secondary schools football for Malick Secondary, got his professional football league break with North East Stars, and now plays for the ‘Couva Sahrks’. He has played anywhere from right-back, to right-midfield. His goal is to land a contract in the MLS, Europe or somewhere abroad.

“My strong point is my energy and work rate. To go forward and get back at any point,” Gabriel said. “I can play anywhere on the right. It doesn’t matter. With my speed, I can play right back or right wing.”

Gabriel also dreams of finding a permanent spot on the national team. “I hope to keep a position on the national team. I did not see it (being on the national team) coming any time soon. But, I was always working to get there,” he said.

“It’s a nice feeling being with the team because some of them I played with at U-23 (national team) level, some I played with at club level. Some ah just see on TV, and being around them, it real nice.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:42:20 AM »
Dahis de WHOLE article?

1]; } ?>