March 28, 2024, 03:02:20 AM

Author Topic: Burger King opens 14th T&T restaurant.  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Burger King opens 14th T&T restaurant.
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:58:02 AM »
Rapheal John-Lall (Guardian).

Derek Waddell, chairman of Restaurant Holdings Limited (RHL), is confident that the T&T economy is solid and once their Burger King franchise remains competitive they will do well in the market.

“This new restaurant expresses confidence, in that even though the economy may not be growing it does not mean that this is not a solid economy. Our issue is that it is a very competitive space that we are in, in terms of the quick service industry. We have to be less concerned about whether people are eating in the quick service industry and more about which brand they are eating from. Burger King is the second largest burger franchise in the world,” he told the T&T Guardian on Tuesday following the official opening of the country’s 14th Burger King restaurant at Massy Stores, Churchill Roosevelt Highway, Macoya.

Waddell admitted, however, that the restaurant chain was being affected by a shortage of labour.

“We are affected as any other business in T&T in that with an unemployment rate of three per cent, that is equivalent to full employment,” he said.

“We have a situation where we constantly have the need for people and we employ 250 people right now. Think of the crew of 40 people required to open a store like this. There are different shifts and we open seven days a week.”

He said Burger King had to do more to attract employees in a competitive market and “become an employer of choice so the people who are looking for jobs will decide that they want to work for Burger King before anyone else.”

Waddell added: “We believe that opportunities for a career are better at Burger King. We have a higher ratio of management, so an employee can get ahead quicker.”

He said he wanted to see young people get into the labour market at a younger age.

“There are a lot of people out there at those younger ages who can work. They do not need to work full time, it can be part time,” he said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
Big up obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes! Eat yuhself to death Trinidad.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Burger King opens 14th T&T restaurant.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »
Big up obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes! Eat yuhself to death Trinidad.

Noted. However, I would suggest that our local foods ( doubles, roti, etc.) contribute more to morbidity than the imports, though at the end of the day it all boils down to choice.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »

Noted. However, I would suggest that our local foods ( doubles, roti, etc.) contribute more to morbidity than the imports, though at the end of the day it all boils down to choice.

well said

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
I wish we could limit the amount of these imports from coming into the country. I really don't understand why we can't encourage other local franchises such as Japs etc to grow and expand. The operations are usually similar. The only thing different is the name. I'm really fed up of all these imports and money leaving the country in such silly ways.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »
I wish we could limit the amount of these imports from coming into the country. I really don't understand why we can't encourage other local franchises such as Japs etc to grow and expand. The operations are usually similar. The only thing different is the name. I'm really fed up of all these imports and money leaving the country in such silly ways.

We have the choice not buy. But ...... .?

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 11:28:04 PM »
Nah it has to be more than that. Is it even economically viable to have so many so close to each other. That one in massy stores is only 5 minutes away from the one in Trincity Mall. Is this what the business elites consider innovation etc in Trinidad? Steups

I think it's time we really lobby against these types of practices...Our health institutions can't deal with these lifestyle diseases now farless for 10-15 years down the road. Children nowadays are close to obese and they don't play outside anymore. We never did any major studies on our foods such as roti etc which I believe rival western fast food in terms of unhealthiness.

I don't know how all these fast food places making profits so close to each other. Not to mention the numerous other food joints littered all over the place. Trinis doh know how to bubble a pot anymore or are these food places just laundering fronts.

The scary thing is that the same people in charge of these franchise are also big players in the local pharmaceutical industry and they benefit from CDAP etc. They are effectively ensuring their demand.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:32:30 PM by congo »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 05:08:37 AM »

Think about price, the locals will inflate their prices if they have limited competition. Not to mentioned foreign food outlets offer more employment, more variety and better facilities.

Not sticking up for them and not saying that they food better.

But we have a long way to go, not to mention the new generation is all Americans now.

On my recent visit to T&T I couldn't believe how many Chinese live there, they are basically taking over T&T.

;D

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:32:04 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 06:32:28 AM »

Think about price, the locals will inflate their prices if they have limited competition. No to mentioned foreign food outlets offer more employment, more variety and better facilities.

But we have a long way to go, not to mention the new generation is all Americans now.

On my recent visit to T&T I couldn't believe how many Chinese live there, they are basically taking over T&T.

;D

Dahis a thread by itself.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »
- education on 'smarter eating' (start at primary school level)
- better choices/options (must say the upmarket and similar movements are a sign of hope)
- pride in our 'own' and knowing our own (you'd be surprised how much of our culinary culture is lost already)

we need a 'Jamie Oliver' type to make some noise

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
stopped eating burger king and mc D even subway, when I realized just how much synthetics and growth cultures are in their products in some cases yuh does be eating plastic bye products
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 04:15:46 PM »
stopped eating burger king and mc D even subway, when I realized just how much synthetics and growth cultures are in their products in some cases yuh does be eating plastic bye products

What's de scene with Subway? That raised an eyebrow .. not that I think they are at the vanguard of healthy food.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »

What's de scene with Subway? That raised an eyebrow .. not that I think they are at the vanguard of healthy food.

some of there meats not really meat or not d part of d animal they claim and the breads have growth culture, is like yeast on steroids
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:51 PM »

Think about price, the locals will inflate their prices if they have limited competition. No to mentioned foreign food outlets offer more employment, more variety and better facilities.

;D

Dahis a thread by itself.

CO-SIGN but the new ting is grocery. It have a big 1 on the McBean Stretch taking credit card.They open Sunday to Sunday
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
Ever notice how all the groceries look the same and they have some nondescript name like "happy". Those things are there simply to suck up our money and send it to China.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »

T

;D

*channeling thoughts of lurkers like socachynee and dem*

"wham flex wheyz da one?"
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>