April 25, 2024, 02:35:43 AM

Author Topic: Political Calypso Convention scores big  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Political Calypso Convention scores big
« on: June 18, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »
Pulse
Political Calypso Convention scores big
By Peter Ray Blood (T&T Guardian)
Published on Jun 18, 2015, 12:01 am AST

Former National Calypso Monarch Weston Rawlins (Cro Cro) performs during the Political Calypso Convention at the Grand Stand, Queen's Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain, last Sunday evening. PHOTO: MARCUS GONZALES.

When I arrived at the Queen’s Park Savannah on Sunday evening for the Political Calypso Convention concert, I thought I had walked into a PNM rally. The Grand Stand was filled to capacity by 5 pm when the show began at its advertised starting time—so much so that the gates had to be closed, stranding several patrons outside. Many in the audience wore red attire, with some in balisier shirts and others waving PNM flags.

A delinquent sound system almost ruined the show, causing some audience angst and forcing an early intermission to fix the problem. Cardinal was particularly affected and could only render one of his two planned songs. Emceed by Tommy Joseph, Sprangalang, Peter Joseph and Prince, with musical accompaniment by Vincent Rivers & The Soca Unit, the show flowed smoothly.

Not surprisingly, almost all of the calypsoes performed were anti-PP government. Seventeen calypsonians performed, including reigning Extempore Monarch Lingo and Black Sage. All performers were of good voice and seemed to win the favour of the mammoth audience. King Netfa and Brother Musa opened the show.

Many bards won callbacks. The slew of encores began with former joint national monarch Delamo doing a sample on the melody of the late Mighty Power’s popular Ah Coming, its hook line changed to “we coming,” which received two encores. He also sang Take Dey Money and Vote Dem Out. Devon Seales was encored three times for Go Nah; Mr Shak, former monarch Pink Panther and former Soca Monarch Ronnie McIntosh were also encored.

Perennial favourite Cro Cro was the night’s final artiste. He was particularly bitter in song towards Sugar Aloes doing a sample on the melody of Gypsy’s Sinking Ship. The cast also included Rondell Donawa, Gary Cordner, Bro Mudada, Skatie, Karene Asche, Impulse and reigning National Monarch, Chucky.

The Grand Stand erupted in applause when organisers introduced PNM leader Keith Rowley on stage with a handful of candidates for the September 7 general elections, including Camille Regis-Robinson, Fitzgerald Hinds, Edmund Dillon and Glenda Jennings-Smith. Producers of the Political Calypso Convention plan to perform soon in San Fernando and Tobago, and will be back in Port-of-Spain for a grand finale closer to the election date.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>