April 24, 2024, 02:08:16 PM

Author Topic: Coach Hart laments Warriors’ lack of pride.  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Coach Hart laments Warriors’ lack of pride.
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:20:13 AM »
Coach Hart laments Warriors’ lack of pride.
T&T Express Reports.

Where is the passion?

Stephen Hart sounds like he’s had enough. This is a man who had, until last Tuesday night, made it his business to shy away from openly criticising the national football team he took charge of two years ago ahead of the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament in the United States.

Since that surprise appointment as head coach, Hart had earned the respect of even his sternest critics by the manner in which the side performed almost immediately under his stewardship in reaching the knockout stages of the Gold Cup before being eliminated by Mexico.

But there were problems. There are always problems when it comes to football in Trinidad and Tobago and there probably always will be for the foreseeable future given the crisis of credibility in the administration of the game and the consistent inability of the vast majority of players from this country to complement natural talent with discipline and hard work.

And it appears the latter issue has brought the Trini-born Canadian close to breaking point. As reported by TTFA Media, Hart didn’t put water in his mouth in the aftermath of what was clearly a dispiriting 3-0 loss to Jordan in Amman.

Here’s part of what he’s quoted as saying: “It was extremely disappointing today. We were second best, even third best today. We were awful. I think what hurt most is that there were a number of players out there playing for selection for a national team and quite frankly they didn’t deserve to wear a national shirt today. They showed no fight, no desire, no passion and it makes me think what the selection should be for the Gold Cup.

“I don’t want to make any excuses, long flight and some of the players felt a bit legless in the opening minutes but at the end of the day you still have to play the game. Both individually and collectively, we were poor.”

Imagine your coach saying publicly that the team of which you were a part weren’t even third best in a contest involving just two sides. And coming from Hart of all people, someone who would have previously pushed direct critical shots from the media over the crossbar game after game.

Like so many other coaches before him, the native of the southland has endured a lot of nonsense, from going months without pay to a playing schedule that makes it almost impossible to develop any sort of team cohesion and momentum ahead of next month’s edition of the Gold Cup and then leading into the start of qualification for the 2018 World Cup finals.

Unless something can be arranged in the 17 days before Trinidad and Tobago play their opening Gold Cup fixture against Guatemala in Chicago, which seems highly unlikely, the national team’s playing experience for the year is a grand total of three games. Yes, three games. Narrow losses at home to Panama and away to Curacao before last week’s humiliation in the Middle East.

Yet for all that clearly unsatisfactory preparation, it’s the attitude of his players that prompted the outburst following the game in the Jordanian capital. His reference to being hurt at the sight of players who should be competing for a spot in the Gold Cup squad but whose performances made them undeserving of wearing the national colours speaks volumes.

But should we really be surprised? So many others before Hart have said essentially the same thing. Some have been very forthright from the outset, others were more measured in their outlook even if the message was still essentially the same: that there is a culture of laziness and lethargy in Trinidad and Tobago football that prevents the country achieving its fullest potential through the national team even if there are individuals who excel in foreign environments where excellence and commitment are incessantly demanded.

It will be interesting to see how the players respond to such an open rebuke. Will they swell-up their complacent tails and grumble about Hart embarrassing them, as has often been the reaction of many a pouting prima donna over the years in West Indies cricket, or will those well-aimed shots across the bows spark some life and energy from footballers who generally lack the desire to move out of cruise control?

Representing your country is not an entitlement but a privilege, even if the circumstances and remuneration are far from ideal. To be told by the coach that a performance was unworthy of wearing the uniform is a damning indictment.

Depending on who’s picked though, they’ll have the chance to present a strident rebuttal of Hart’s condemnation at the Gold Cup, which may well have been the intention of his totally unexpected broadside against the players.

For all that, it still feels like someone who is fed-up.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Coach Hart laments Warriors’ lack of pride.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
Let's see if the players really worthy to wear the national jersey come Gold Cup ...

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
Good luck Coach Hart! You will need it...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Imagine your coach saying publicly that the team of which you were a part weren’t even third best in a

Well, it work both ways. When they play good they get all the praises. When they don't, they should be told so. 

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Unacceptable that your national coach has not been getting paid on a consistent basis. The fact that he remains in the job under such conditions is for another debate. I am sure he could seek legal recourse if he so chooses, given he has a signed contract. He must love the job.

The Jamaica Football Federation avoid these scenarios by, as in the case of Winfried Schaeffer, securing the  $$$ to fund the life of the contract prior to sign the deal. Some of the funds come from allocations to the JFF from the SDF (government agency) and the rest from corporate sponsorships.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
Unacceptable that your national coach has not been getting paid on a consistent basis. The fact that he remains in the job under such conditions is for another debate. I am sure he could seek legal recourse if he so chooses, given he has a signed contract. He must love the job.

The Jamaica Football Federation avoid these scenarios by, as in the case of Winfried Schaeffer, securing the  $$$ to fund the life of the contract prior to sign the deal. Some of the funds come from allocations to the JFF from the SDF (government agency) and the rest from corporate sponsorships.
i guess you have not been following our fooball closely because if you had then you would know that he's all paid up since december after the caribbean cup of which the players threatened to strike and not play the final against jamaica.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:50:06 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
if hart quits now then he has accomplished nothing and totally wasted his good time, because before he took the gig he had to have known that this is how the football heads in trinidad does business, and equally the players can be lazy shameless bums with no pride and no drive.

this man has been involved in football for a number of years and he knows the mentality of our players, and how distracted and uninterested they could be. these boys don't practice on their own, their touches their passing, their positional awareness nothing, these are sagaboys who wants bling/ girls/ fame and they not really on football. it's the perks that football brings that have them bruising up their feet and legs for a pay check in order to support their sagaboy life style. it's disturbing to see so much talent and potential go to waste. hang in there coach, don't give in just yet.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:52:44 PM by pull stones »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
i guess yo have not been following our fooball closely because if ou ha the you would know that he's all paid up since december ater the caribbean cup of which the players threatened to strike and not play the final against amaica.

Cool, good to hear he's been paid up but yes, I recall the news breaking at the Caribbean cup finals last November that the coach and players had not been paid, and there was some boycott or something to that effect in the works.

Should never have gotten to that point in the first place. 

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »
Hart in Trinidad too long...he start sounding like the other coaches.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »
Maybe he is trying to motivate the players?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »
Good going Hartie, but part of it is your fault.

You not making players fight for a place on the team.

Peltier, Hyland, Guerra, Kenwyne and Jan is de biggest culprits, they should be leading by example, but they to comfortable knowing that they selection sure and they not leading by example as senior players..

But I like Hart, ah know he is a real good coach.

But he need to rock de boat.

Julius James dying to play for T&T and he not getting pick and man who getting pick dying not to get pick.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 07:18:09 AM »

Peltier, Hyland, Guerra, Kenwyne and Jan is de biggest culprits, they should be leading by example, but they to comfortable knowing that they selection sure and they not leading by example as senior players..

Julius James dying to play for T&T and he not getting pick and man who getting pick dying not to get pick.

Didnt Hart single out Kenwyne as one of the players who ran his heart out?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »

I eh watch the game, but I settle on the fact that people see what they want to see with him. Good or bad.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
To be honest, Kenwyne did fight hard and I respect him for that.

But we need him to be consistent and we need him to be more vocal because he is the captain.

But yes, Kenwyne fight hard.

CONSISTENCY is needed.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »
I have big respect for England women's team coach, he play every single player so far in de women's world cup in Canada except for de back up keeper.

We need to have de same rotation system in T&T where players have to fight for a place on the team forcing them to perform better consistently.

But in all fairness to Hartie, he need games to do that.

We need a central midfielder to replace Hyland, maybe Joevin could be converted.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:25 AM »

I eh watch the game, but I settle on the fact that people see what they want to see with him. Good or bad.
Peltier and hyland ran their hearts out too. I just interpret sam statement to be directed to tulla & jan. In that game the back 4 play level shit...and I think hart comment was to that keron cummings fella & 1 0r 2 others

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
I have big respect for England women's team coach, he play every single player so far in de women's world cup in Canada except for de back up keeper.

We need to have de same rotation system in T&T where players have to fight for a place on the team forcing them to perform better consistently.

We need a central midfielder to replace Hyland, maybe Joevin could be converted.

been saying hyland is rubbish for a long time now.. just because he plays top flight football in belgium doesn't mean he should start or be a mainstay.. for me its about which players actually perform and hyland hasn't performed in the national uniform to be guaranteed a starting spot..

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »

been saying hyland is rubbish for a long time now.. just because he plays top flight football in belgium doesn't mean he should start or be a mainstay.. for me its about which players actually perform and hyland hasn't performed in the national uniform to be guaranteed a starting spot..

do you really, honestly believe that Hart is starting Hyland just because he plays top flight football in Belgium (keep in mind he's barely played and hasn't started in months)?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>