April 29, 2024, 01:44:35 AM

Author Topic: T&T football on a slippery slope.  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T football on a slippery slope.
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:41:25 AM »
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

I decided to take a close look at the FIFA rankings before I tried to seek some form of reasoning for our national team being in the present state of disarray. It may be fair to say that the absence of finance has almost everything to do with the predicament in which the national team finds itself.

Some claim that judging from reports of a lack of matured dialogue between the Ministry of Sport and the TTFA, the principles of good management have been affected, leaving a coach without any sense of direction with regard to preparing our national team to participate in next month’s CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournament. Since we all knew the exact dates of the start of the tournament, there was sufficient time for some level of preparation to begin, especially as many of the players are representing teams within the country’s professional league.

I am at a loss to wonder why the request was not made by coach Stephen Hart to have one day per week allotted to a national team training session. This could not be a request the technical staff could refuse, despite the fact that the regular excuse has been that Pro League teams are not supportive of the idea.

I can humbly disagree with such a decision unless, of course, the league is run autonomously and not under the umbrella of the ruling body for football in the country. Modern day coaches must place their programmes on the table for ratification from the ruling body and their decision to carry out their duties must be clear both in theory and financial commitment in all aspects of what is needed to move forward. The question of involving the overseas-based players must be organisationally planned in the same way as most of the national teams across the world.

Nothing of the kind has happened and as the time drew closer towards the tournament, some impromptu matches were arranged without much thought as to what these opponents would do in order to bring our team the kind of preparation it truly need. How on good earth did we accept friendlies with Curacao, which is ranked 144th in the world, and Jordan (103rd)?  Which styles are  similar to the likes of Guatemala, Mexico or Cuba?

And even if the coaching staff believed they were aware of the styles of these opponents, why was it not realistic to find opponents from your leagues in T&T and elsewhere locally? Our national teams do not have the educational and tactical resources to even assess opponents, far more to plan an organised course of action to be an effective opponent. I firmly believe that the fundamental approach to game could be improved by simply playing against numerous opponents, some with instructions of the national team to improve their attacking ploys from all angles towards the goal.

They need to organise their defense in such a way that different approaches by opponents must be recognised and adjustments made. The business of midfield needs the art of ball possession and formulas to create passing lanes towards the forwards. Cohesion for success can only be improved by constant practice and on the spot correction during friendlies. Our local teams will be ideal for that process, and beneficial to the coach.

Up to this day, our national coach has admitted that some of the players in the team do not deserve to wear national colours, and while there may be merit with his statement, it remains his duty to make the necessary changes and turn the performance levels of the team around in a short space of time. It bothers me why the sport loving public of this country do not see their role in making our organization in the various disciplines perform their duties competently.

Our clandestine methods utilized for team selection have deprived many young players of having the opportunity to show their worth. I make no apologies to say that there are quite a number of talented players in the lower leagues who have shown better skills, understanding and teamsmanship, but are not eligible because they do not play in the Pro League. We bring players home without knowing the form or even normal ability which they possess.

Please do not take my remarks to be anything else but a way to assist in the process of taking a more organised approach to success for our national teams. My love for the sport and for my country tends to lead me to this form of assistance. Some of us have the experience following our own careers and it will be nice if the ruling body attempt to go in search of help in this regard.

We urgently need a meteoric rise towards a better football programme. As I view the names of the players chosen for the Gold Cup, it was clear that the preference by coach Stephen to invest in the foreign based players can be viewed in two ways. He may well be convinced that the locally based players are not yet familiar with the type of commitment and dedication needed to play this level of the game, a factor which may have some merit attached.

However, it is necessary to compare the players within a collective process, favourably in a setting where match play among themselves in an intense and realistic environment must be emphasised so that players will understand that their selection or omission will be based upon their performances during that period.

Surely, some players have demonstrated the talent and commitment to wearing the national shirt with pride seen through their efforts in tense situations. With nearly 20 days for their match against Guatemala, we should get a good look at some realistic action among the team. I assume that the coaching staff will have held some video tapes of their three opponents and implement some tactical formula in order to give themselves an advantage. I shall keep an eye on the training sessions  in order to assess the probable performance levels of our team.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
Re: T&T football on a slippery slope.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
They say tat tar rolls down hill.......with Tim Tee at the apex.......
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
Corneal makes some very valid points for the most part, but at times I think he's pushing him mouth into business that doesn't concern him.  Take this statement for instance:

Our national teams do not have the educational and tactical resources to even assess opponents, far more to plan an organised course of action to be an effective opponent.

Now substitute "coaches" for the word "teams" above and see how harshly it reads: Our national coaches do not have the educational and tactical resources to even assess opponents, far more to plan an organised course of action to be an effective opponent.

... because that is really what the statement is saying.  Is he really qualified or positioned to criticize Hart and his preparatory and tactical methods?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »
Is he really qualified or positioned to criticize Hart and his preparatory and tactical methods?

let me put meh 2 cents here. "Is he really qualified". Qualified meaning his coaching bonafides and knowledge of the game. I would say, YES. He played at the highest, he has a great knowledge of the game, and also has an EFA coaching license. Is he in a position to criticize? That depends  whether or not you like him.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »
About half way through reading this article some thing hit me..... Then I went back and checked who wrote it.  :banginghead:
No offense but these guys played and coached football in TnT pre Jack Warner when things were a whole lot different. I say no more.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
Is he really qualified or positioned to criticize Hart and his preparatory and tactical methods?

let me put meh 2 cents here. "Is he really qualified". Qualified meaning his coaching bonafides and knowledge of the game. I would say, YES. He played at the highest, he has a great knowledge of the game, and also has an EFA coaching license. Is he in a position to criticize? That depends  whether or not you like him.

Is he qualified to coach?  Probably not... when was the last time Alvin coached?  Has he kept up to date on the latest coaching strategies?  Is he capable of managing today's players?  Certainly no more than Hart is.  I am neither here nor there on Corneal, so it's not about me liking him or not.  He is not privy to the information that Hart has, nor does he know what Hart is dealing with on a daily basis.  What does Alvin know about Hart's education or the resources at his disposal?  How the hell is Alvin qualified to criticize Hart's ability to "plan an organized course of action to be an effective opponent"?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
Corneal conveniently leave out Hart contribution to Canadian football and him being one of the main contributing factors to why the Canadian women's team and program is so good...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:12:57 PM by Controversial »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
In an unsolicited comment lacking malice, a well-regarded authority in football recently described the senior Corneal as "not a football person".

EDIT: The person is from Europe.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:29:32 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
What does Alvin know about Hart's education or the resources at his disposal?  

I am not saying you don't like Alvin. But at times he makes valid points, but some people diss his  observations as  bs. I certainly don't agree with all his points. I do agreed that he should take into consideration the problem of resources at Hart's disposal. The inability to get more friendly games. The disagreement between Sancho and TimKee. The inability of TimKee to solicit sponsors,  and Sancho full press attempt to isolate him. And the limited time to prepare the team.  All these things are in Hart's way. These impediments, I think, he  should have taken into consideration.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:56:55 PM by Deeks »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
What does Alvin know about Hart's education or the resources at his disposal?  

I am not saying you don't like Alvin. But at times he makes valid points, but some people diss his  observations as  bs. I certainly don't agree with all his points. I do agreed that he should take into consideration the problem of resources at Hart's disposal. The inability to get more friendly games. The disagreement between Sancho and TimKee. The inability of TimKee to solicit sponsors,  and Sancho full press attempt to isolate him. And the limited time to prepare the team.  All these things are in Hart's way. These impediments, I think, he  should have taken into consideration.

Deeks, but I said he made some very valid points... so many in fact that it was too many to summarize.  I just harped on what I disagreed with.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:15:12 PM by Bakes »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
Cool!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

I am at a loss to wonder why the request was not made by coach Stephen Hart to have one day per week allotted to a national team training session. This could not be a request the technical staff could refuse, despite the fact that the regular excuse has been that Pro League teams are not supportive of the idea.

I can humbly disagree with such a decision unless, of course, the league is run autonomously and not under the umbrella of the ruling body for football in the country. Modern day coaches must place their programmes on the table for ratification from the ruling body and their decision to carry out their duties must be clear both in theory and financial commitment in all aspects of what is needed to move forward. The question of involving the overseas-based players must be organisationally planned in the same way as most of the national teams across the world.

Nothing of the kind has happened and as the time drew closer towards the tournament, some impromptu matches were arranged without much thought as to what these opponents would do in order to bring our team the kind of preparation it truly need.

And even if the coaching staff believed they were aware of the styles of these opponents, why was it not realistic to find opponents from your leagues in T&T and elsewhere locally? Our national teams do not have the educational and tactical resources to even assess opponents, far more to plan an organised course of action to be an effective opponent. I firmly believe that the fundamental approach to game could be improved by simply playing against numerous opponents, some with instructions of the national team to improve their attacking ploys from all angles towards the goal.

They need to organise their defense in such a way that different approaches by opponents must be recognised and adjustments made. The business of midfield needs the art of ball possession and formulas to create passing lanes towards the forwards. Cohesion for success can only be improved by constant practice and on the spot correction during friendlies. Our local teams will be ideal for that process, and beneficial to the coach.

Up to this day, our national coach has admitted that some of the players in the team do not deserve to wear national colours, and while there may be merit with his statement, it remains his duty to make the necessary changes and turn the performance levels of the team around in a short space of time. It bothers me why the sport loving public of this country do not see their role in making our organization in the various disciplines perform their duties competently.

Our clandestine methods utilized for team selection have deprived many young players of having the opportunity to show their worth. I make no apologies to say that there are quite a number of talented players in the lower leagues who have shown better skills, understanding and teamsmanship, but are not eligible because they do not play in the Pro League. We bring players home without knowing the form or even normal ability which they possess.

Please do not take my remarks to be anything else but a way to assist in the process of taking a more organised approach to success for our national teams. My love for the sport and for my country tends to lead me to this form of assistance. Some of us have the experience following our own careers and it will be nice if the ruling body attempt to go in search of help in this regard.

We urgently need a meteoric rise towards a better football programme. As I view the names of the players chosen for the Gold Cup, it was clear that the preference by coach Stephen to invest in the foreign based players can be viewed in two ways. He may well be convinced that the locally based players are not yet familiar with the type of commitment and dedication needed to play this level of the game, a factor which may have some merit attached.

However, it is necessary to compare the players within a collective process, favourably in a setting where match play among themselves in an intense and realistic environment must be emphasised so that players will understand that their selection or omission will be based upon their performances during that period.

Surely, some players have demonstrated the talent and commitment to wearing the national shirt with pride seen through their efforts in tense situations. With nearly 20 days for their match against Guatemala, we should get a good look at some realistic action among the team. I assume that the coaching staff will have held some video tapes of their three opponents and implement some tactical formula in order to give themselves an advantage. I shall keep an eye on the training sessions  in order to assess the probable performance levels of our team.

There are some items that are reasonable observations, but there also are items mentioned that raise an eyebrow.

"Modern day coaches" ... struck me as a dig.

Also, he makes very authoritative comments that suggest that he knows whether SH did or did not do certain items. But I'm not convinced as to the extent of his actual knowledge. I'll go even further. Corneal mentions "without much thought" regarding arranging opponents, yet SH is on public record as saying that he did not wish to engage certain opponents, and he specified opponents that would be useful. So here I sense a dose of speculation and inflation in Corneal's comment.

And what is this thing about "clandestine methods of selection"? Won't waste time on that. For instance, regarding Marcus Joseph, SH made it public why the player's inclusion was not going to occur. And, there have been other incidents of transparency. BUT, even with that, coaches don't make it a habit of itemizing why player X prevailed and others not. It seems likely that Corneal has a specific player or players in mind that he believes merited selection. How does SH's selection differing from his rise to clandestine conduct?

The comment that certainly captured attention is the call for the TTFA to utilize his expertise via consultation. I sense that he senses an opportunity.

It's a rich article tainted by elements of subjectivity.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:21:27 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
Corneal makes some very valid points for the most part, but at times I think he's pushing him mouth into business that doesn't concern him.  Take this statement for instance:

Our national teams do not have the educational and tactical resources to even assess opponents, far more to plan an organised course of action to be an effective opponent.

Now substitute "coaches" for the word "teams" above and see how harshly it reads: Our national coaches do not have the educational and tactical resources to even assess opponents, far more to plan an organised course of action to be an effective opponent.

... because that is really what the statement is saying.  Is he really qualified or positioned to criticize Hart and his preparatory and tactical methods?

Here's an alternate view. He's referring to the lack of sports science/technological components used in preparing for games.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
Not "tainted by elements of subjectivity"... tainted by elements of selfishness/self-promotion is more like it.  He clearly feels he has some expertise to offer which Hart/the TTFA are ignoring.  Maybe he's right... but the coach is allowed to rely on whatever expertise he feels will be helpful in implanting his style and vision on the senior program.  This comment in fact, informs his entire column and puts in perspective comments such as his statement on the "educational and tactical resources" that are deficient. 

It is entirely possible that he was objectively critiquing the abscence of "sports/science and technological components"... but I'm not willing to be that charitable absent more.  Did Hart have these at his disposal in Canada?  If not, then why not?  If yes, then were they not portable such that he would have brought at least the ideas and education with him? It would also beggar belief that Alvin himself would have kept up to date on such innovations as to be capable of addressing any such deficiency.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:19 AM »
The bottom line in this article is this- Alvin is saying- Fire the Coach. Three games lost . players are not motivated - Fire the Coach . After  Brazil was knocked out of Copa America the experts on Bein sports were saying 95%of this current Brazil  side would not make the Argentina team and the present crop of players just was not good enough. Let us look on the bright side maybe this article is a wake up call for players and the Coach. Let us not shoot the Messenger although I am not a fan of Alvin he knows something about the tactical side of football or  as Hart said Trinidad and Tobago football is still in the dark Ages

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 06:10:32 AM »
Good read.

I predict T&T is in for a rude awakerning, Guatemala is a hard team to beat now and Cuba can damage us, and then off course Mexico.

I dont wish them bad, but T&T is not prepared well and the players seems like they not interested in wearing the national shirts, they more interested in posing on facebook and looking good.

Hart have to take some blame to because he not putting his feet down as far as the TTFA goes, he must realise that he will get the bad name in the end, not the TTFA.

Good luck to all but dont expect anything much from an unfit fleet footed team that just lost to two team ranked in the 100s.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 06:37:52 AM »
The bottom line in this article is this- Alvin is saying- Fire the Coach. Three games lost . players are not motivated - Fire the Coach . After  Brazil was knocked out of Copa America the experts on Bein sports were saying 95%of this current Brazil  side would not make the Argentina team and the present crop of players just was not good enough. Let us look on the bright side maybe this article is a wake up call for players and the Coach. Let us not shoot the Messenger although I am not a fan of Alvin he knows something about the tactical side of football or  as Hart said Trinidad and Tobago football is still in the dark Ages

The experts doh consider that Brazil is in a rebuilding phase and that Argentina is in a consolidating phase. The first time I heard mention of some players on this ARG squad was out of the mouth of a much maligned Diego Maradona as he discussed who could possibly get a look.

In recent years some of the players on this current ARG squad couldn't get a consistent sniff in, but here they are today. Compare that to Brazil, yuh have players like Miranda who were occasionally in and around the squad,  but now project as influencing the future.

To compare ARG with BRA, player for player, position by position, is like trying to establish pound for pound who the best fighter is in the world using at one end a seasoned middleweight and at the other end a novice flyweight as your sole points of reference.

Anyhow, re: this article ... yuh might be right. Some statements come close to that but stop short.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:40:49 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »
Hart have to take some blame to because he not putting his feet down as far as the TTFA goes, he must realise that he will get the bad name in the end, not the TTFA.

Please provide an example of what you mean by "putting his feet down".  What exactly should he have done?  What would you have done?

Some questions to ponder before you respond:

If he walks away from T&T football, does that improve T&T football?

Should he take the team to the Gold Cup and then plead poverty like Randy Waldrum? 

How did that ultimately turn out for the womens team?  Are they in a better position today than they were then?

Respeck
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »
Hart have to take some blame to because he not putting his feet down as far as the TTFA goes

Honestly, Errol, what is it that Hart can do to change TTFA? Nothing! Right now it appears that Hart is doing this out of love for country. Another coach in this situation would have walked a long time ago. Unless Hart can go to the businessmen and beg for money, there is nothing he can do but coach the team. Point the fingers at the two entities that can make the difference. The bankrupt TTFA and the hardball MoS.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:19:25 PM by Deeks »

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
Hart is doing a job with his hands tied behind his back in IMO. Tie a boxers hands behind his back and you'll see the outcome. I think he is doing a respectable job under the circumstances
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
That is Corneal's modus operandi.  Stand on the side and take potshots at people not related to, or close to him.  What was the team's performance when he was in charge, when his son was in charge.  What were his comments then?  I think that Hart is doing as good a job as he is allowed to do by the TTFA. That is where the blame should fall. No support in training, paying coaches, providing international friendlies. Do we really expect bread form stones? that's what the TTFA been pulling!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Hart have to take some blame to because he not putting his feet down as far as the TTFA goes

Honestly, Errol, what is it that Hart can do to change TTFA? Nothing! Right now it appears that Hart is doing this out of love for country. Another coach in this situation would have walked a long time ago. Unless Hart can go to the businessmen and beg for money, there is nothing he can do but coach the team. Point the fingers at the two entities that can make the difference. The bankrupt TTFA and the hardball MoS.

You read my mind.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 04:26:36 AM »
I know I've only been around 4 years but I can tell you the only times I remember him popping up is to take pot shots. What's his job vis-a-vie Trini football right now?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
I know I've only been around 4 years but I can tell you the only times I remember him popping up is to take pot shots. What's his job vis-a-vie Trini football right now?

Explain a bit more.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »

Please provide an example of what you mean by "putting his feet down".  What exactly should he have done?  What would you have done?

Some questions to ponder before you respond:

If he walks away from T&T football, does that improve T&T football?

Should he take the team to the Gold Cup and then plead poverty like Randy Waldrum? 

How did that ultimately turn out for the womens team?  Are they in a better position today than they were then?

Respeck

Since you put it that way, I agree.

Thanks Pal.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 12:46:13 AM »

Explain a bit more.

What is his current role in local football? Administrator? Team manager? Coach?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 07:08:37 AM »
Hart is the coach first and foremost. Why should he be doing administrative duties? Not that he should ignore it. And I am almost sure he has some input in managerial aspect of our game. But he is the coach.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »

Some say don't blame Hart because iz the TTFF admin doing shit and players not good enough,
Some people say don't blame the players, instead blame the coach for not having them mentally ready and focus for each game,
Some say don't blame the admin because regardless if admin doing dey job with this same players mentality and coach results will be the same,

Same ole, Same ole.. I see the same shit since the 90's

1]; } ?>