March 28, 2024, 01:29:07 PM

Author Topic: IOC Rio 2016 Olympics: Fri.5th~Sun.21st Aug 2016 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)  (Read 76829 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congratulations Brown, what a treat! You may get to see UB make history. Hopefully MLA and/or KAB will be in the mix as well...

Congrats Sugar!!! So forumites we will be having our own reporter in Rio. Daily commentaries ;D. Sugar you might just be the person in the stands to bring the luck for our first women Olimpic medal.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Hear nah all yuh.....ah trying to get tix to some other events and lawd fadder.........between the  IOC and VISA.....I swear I will be driven to drink..... :frustrated: :frustrated: :banginghead: :banginghead: :cursing: :cursing:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Finally I got tickets to various events.....lawd it was painful......

Sailing, Synchronised Swimming, Gymnastics, Football, 100M men's and women's, 4 x 100M relays......throw een some site seeing and ah ready to go!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gyul, I envy you. Have fun. Our WOMAN IN RIO.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Rio Women's 100m Final Predictions!!
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »
TTOC announces 32 athletes for Rio Games
JELANI BECKLES Friday, July 15 2016

TRINIDAD and Tobago will be represented by its largest Olympic contingent in history, as 32 athletes in eight disciplines will compete at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from August 5-21.

The Rio 2016 team surpasses the 2012 London Olympic Games team which had 31 athletes. The 2016 team was officially announced yesterday by Chef De Mission Dr Ian Hypolite at a press conference held at the TT Olympic House, Abercromby Street, Port of Spain.

As usual, TT will be well represented in athletics as 24 athletes will vie for medals at the Games.

The team includes women’s shot put athlete Cleopatra Borel who will be competing in her fourth Olympic Games, while Keshorn Walcott will be aiming to defend his men’s javelin title.

The trio of Rondel Sorillo, Michelle- Lee Ahye and Semoy Hackett will be busy at the Games competing in three events each. Sorillo will line up in the men’s 100-metre, 200m and 4x100m relay events, while Ahye and Hackett will compete in the women’s 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay events.

TT will also be represented in the disciplines of boxing (Nigel Paul), cycling (Njisane Phillip), artistic gymnastics (Marisa Dick), judo (Christopher George), rowing (Felice Aisha Chow), sailing (Andrew Lewis) and swimming (Dylan Carter, George Bovell III).

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Darryl Smith stated, “I was very pleased to hear from the (TTO C) team that we are actually going to field the most athletes ever in the history of TT in the Olympics.

Also the Paralympics as well, they are also going to have the most number of athletes attending the Paralympics.” He added, “this is the first time we have had so many female athletes on the team.” Eleven women will represent TT at the Olympics.

TT will be represented at the Paralympic Games in Rio from September 7-18 by Akeem Stewart (athletics), Shanntol Ince (swimming) and Nyoshia Cain (athletics).

President of the TT Paralympic Committee Sudhir Ramessar expressed optimism. He stated, “I am very confident to tell you all today, we will be coming back with medals.”

TT OLYMPIC TEAM - ATHLETICS -

Men:
Richard Thompson - 100m, 4x100m relay; Rondel Sorillo - 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay; Keston Bledman - 100m, 4x100m relay; Kyle Greaux - 200m, 4x100m relay; Emmanuel Callender - 4x100m relay; Marcus Duncan - 4x100m relay; Mikel Thomas - 110m hurdles; Jehue Gordon - 400m hurdles; Machel Cedenio - 400m, 4x400m relay; Lalonde Gordon - 400m, 4x400m relay; Deon Lendore - 400m, 4x400m relay; Jarrin Solomon - 4x400m relay; Renny Quow - 4x400m relay; Jereem Richards - 4x400m relay; Keshorn Walcott - javelin.

Women: Michelle-Lee Ahye - 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay; Semoy Hackett - 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay; Kelly Ann Baptiste - 100m, 4x100m relay; Reyare Thomas - 200m, 4x100m relay; Khalifa St Fort - 4x100m relay; Kai Selvon - 4x100m relay; Janeil Bellille - 400m hurdles; Sparkle Mc Knight - 400m hurdles; Cleopatra Borel - shot put.

Officials: George Commissiong (manager), Ian Carter (coach), Ismael Lopez- Mastrapa, Gunness Persad, Nic Connor Alexander, Charles Joseph.

BOXING - Nigel Paul - super heavyweight category; Reynold Cox (manager), Floyd Trumpet (coach).

CYCLING - Njisane Phillip - sprint; David Francis (manager), Elisha Greene (mechanic).

ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS - Marisa Dick; Anita Pelletier (coach).

JUDO - Christopher George; Mark Littrean (manager/ coach).

ROWING - Felice Aisha Chow - Single Scull; Merryl See Tai (manager).

SAILING - Andrew Lewis - Laser; Kairon Serrette (manager), Bruno Fontes (coach).

SWIMMING - Dylan Carter - 100m freestyle, George Bovell III - 50m freestyle; George Bovell II (manager), Roland Schoeman (coach).

TEAM MANAGEMENT - Dr Ian Hypolite (chef de mission), Lovie Santana (administration).

MEDICAL - Dr Terry Ali (chief medical officer), Dr Anyl Gopeesingh, Dr Tonya Welch, Dr Margaret Ottley, Ian Sharpe, Zephyrinus Nicholas, Brent Elder, Nicole Fuentes, Alexander Gibbons, Verne Alleyne, Abdel Muriada.

TT PARALYMPIC TEAM - Athletes: Akeem Stewart (F43 javelin, F43 discus), Shanntol Ince (swimming - event not yet confirmed), Nyoshia Cain (T44 100m, T44 200m).

Officials: Judy Beckles (chef de mission), Wade Franklyn (athletics coach), Karen Araujo (swimming coach), Dr Kerry Dollaway (physiotherapist), Sudhir Ramessar (TT Paralympic Committee president).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please list yours below in this thread .......

Here is mines and please note the order listed also implies how I think they will place in the Final:-

1st ET (JAM)
2nd MLA (TTO)
3rd SAFP (JAM)
4th BOWIE (USA)
5th SLIPPERS (NED)
6th GARDNER (USA)
7th AHOURÉ (CIV)
8th TA LOU (CIV)
===============
If 9 sprinters are allowed to make the final then I would add BARTOLETTA (USA), Christania WILLIAMS (JAM), OKAGBARE (NGR) and Kelly-Ann BAPTISTE (TTO) to the list of potential athletes who might make the Final as the 9th sprinter.

What do you guys think of my list?

I also predict that the top 3 will all run 10.7x times in the final.

Anyone who predicts that MLA will place lower than 5th in the Rio 100m Final will be in for a surprise.
MLA has remained injury free this season for a change and will peak and run PBs a few times in Rio including in the 100m Final, allyuh watch and see!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:07:06 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
im very suprise that she was healthy for this whole season and hasn't really pushed or peaked as yet. so im excited to see what ah full throttle lee will do in rio..even doh i feel she will beat et ..we will see but i have her first rather than second. not based on sentimentality but more on technique and potential.which she has unlimited (potential) in

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Here is mines and please note the order listed also implies how I think they will place in the Final:-

1st ET (JAM)
2nd MLA (TTO)
3rd SAFP (JAM)
4th BOWIE (USA)
5th SLIPPERS (NED)
6th GARDNER (USA)
7th AHOURÉ (CIV)
8th TA LOU (CIV)
===============
If 9 sprinters are allowed to make the final then I would add BARTOLETTA (USA), Christania WILLIAMS (JAM), OKAGBARE (NGR) and Kelly-Ann BAPTISTE (TTO) to the list of potential athletes who might make the Final as the 9th sprinter.

Schippers not finishing 5th in any 100m final.  That is my prediction.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Finally I got tickets to various events.....lawd it was painful......

Sailing, Synchronised Swimming, Gymnastics, Football, 100M men's and women's, 4 x 100M relays......throw een some site seeing and ah ready to go!!!

Represent and enjoy yourself in Rio Brownsugar!  ;)

Machel Montano ft. Tessanne Chin - Bring the Beat (Official Lyric Video)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bedvHENUev8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bedvHENUev8</a>

Erphaan Alves - Believe (Oh Yea) "2016 Release" (T&T Olympic Campaign)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tQJNaGvpxrQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tQJNaGvpxrQ</a>

Sekon Sta - My World [Official Video]
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QS_X2Vdsakw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QS_X2Vdsakw</a>

Desle Julien - Ready For Rio "2016 Soca" (Trinidad)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gc8Cof7j99I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gc8Cof7j99I</a>

Chuck Gordon - Bleeding Red, White and Black
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2Uc9b4cCIPc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2Uc9b4cCIPc</a>

Machel Montano - Going For Gold (Official HD Video) Olympic Soundtrack
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/i9mvONm-vOE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/i9mvONm-vOE</a>

RemBunction & Friends - WE ARE (All Star Remix) **OFFICIAL** Music Video
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UPFC90VVYFA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UPFC90VVYFA</a>

Kes The Band - We Are Conquerors
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7Di_p73UPcc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7Di_p73UPcc</a>

Exodus Steel Orchestra feat. Machel Montano, Samraj "Rikki Jai" Jaimungal,
Karene Asche, Duane O'Connor - GOLD

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O92mDhPiBPo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O92mDhPiBPo</a>
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:34:57 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1st ET (JAM)
2nd MLA (TTO)
3rd SAFP (JAM)
4th BOWIE (USA)
5th SLIPPERS (NED)
6th GARDNER (USA)
7th AHOURÉ (CIV)
8th TA LOU (CIV)
===============

Anyone who predicts that MLA will place lower than 5th in the Rio 100m Final will be in for a surprise.
MLA has remained injury free this season for a change and will peak and run PBs a few times in Rio including in the 100m Final, allyuh watch and see!

We all wish for MLA to finish in the top 3. But she has a huge hill to climb. There are about 6 women who have run below 10.8 on that list. MLA barely ran a sub 11 with a +2.8 at her back recently. It will be hard to accept your predictions for her Soca.

One thing I will predict. Men's 4x100 ain't winning a medal. As much as we want to hail Thompson as our best.. I doubt he will make the final. But I heard Bledman is starting to feel better. So we will see what happens.

Right now I predicting 2 medals. Women 4x100 and men's 4x400. As usual we do get a surprise medalist. Maybe, MLA, KW or MC.

I think MC will break the NR this time. I read an article where they said he is the only one who can threaten the big 3. If he breaks the NR in the semi, I think he will have the confidence to go up against KJ, LM and WVN.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1st ET (JAM)
2nd MLA (TTO)
3rd SAFP (JAM)
4th BOWIE (USA)
5th SLIPPERS (NED)
6th GARDNER (USA)
7th AHOURÉ (CIV)
8th TA LOU (CIV)
===============

We all wish for MLA to finish in the top 3. But she has a huge hill to climb. There are about 6 women who have run below 10.8 on that list. MLA barely ran a sub 11 with a +2.8 at her back recently. It will be hard to accept your predictions for her Soca.

One thing I will predict. Men's 4x100 ain't winning a medal. As much as we want to hail Thompson as our best.. I doubt he will make the final. But I heard Bledman is starting to feel better. So we will see what happens.

Right now I predicting 2 medals. Women 4x100 and men's 4x400. As usual we do get a surprise medalist. Maybe, MLA, KW or MC.

I think MC will break the NR this time. I read an article where they said he is the only one who can threaten the big 3. If he breaks the NR in the semi, I think he will have the confidence to go up against KJ, LM and WVN.

I was not asking you to accept my prediction about where MLA can place the 100m Final, it is my prediction and not yours.  ;)

Regards RT not making the Men's 100m Final, if he can reproduce his National Trials form or improve on it he will be in the 100m Final so we will just have to wait and see how he looks in the 100m Heats.

Regards your prediction that our 4x100m Relay Men not winning a medal, I won't be surprise if they prove you wrong.
Even if none of our Men make the 100m Final I think our relay team chances of medalling are still good once they can put in the practice and make efficient baton passes in the 4x1 Heats and Final and can aim at equalling or even bettering our NR of 37.62 in the final.

I think we have the potential to win 5 Track & Field medals; our 3 relay teams have potential to medal with our Men 4x4 team having a realistic shot at contesting USA & Bahamas for the gold if our top 5 quarter-milers all arrive in Rio in sub-45 form or ready to go low sub-45 on their relay legs.

I think as defending champion KW has a realistic shot at medalling in the Javelin so I won't be at all surprised if he medals in Rio especially if he can turn up in PB form and pull out a plus 90m throw like he did last season.

In the individual events MLA as I predicted can medal in the 100m if she peaks for Rio and runs a new PB in the Semis or Final.
If MLA medals in the 100m Final in Rio then I will also bump her up as a potential medal contender in the 200m as she has the potential to be even better over 200m than she is over the 100m.

MC can also medal in the 400m if he can stick with the race leaders over the first 300m and still retain some speed endurance energy for his trademark kick in the last 100m. If he can do that then expect the 400m NR to be broken and MC to run near 44 flat or even faster if he is going to press the top 3 for a medal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:33:55 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Before I begin, you're probably one of the few posters on here who I consider as a fountain of knowledge when it comes to track and field. If you were to ask me my predictions before the season began, I would have said the same thing you said:

- 5 medals
- 4x100 men
- 4x100 women
- 4x400 men
- Keshorn Javelin
- Cedenio 400m or MLA 100 or 200

But let's be realistic and not too optimistic. RT has run only one sub 10 for the year. He came 5th or 6th in his last race. The competition was mediocre. And he never even made the final. So what makes you think he has it in him to compete against the big names when they enter into the fray? I will keep rooting for him. But let's not let hope and optimism cloud our judgement. If he makes the semi, I will be surprised. And I hope he does make me eat my words.

As for the men's 4x100, they only medalling if two teams screw up the exchange. Canada, GB, and South Africa currently have faster runners than us. This is probably one of our weakest 4x100 teams in years. RT not in the form that he was in 4 years ago, Bledman coming of an injury (although he is getting healthier). Sorrillo has gotten his first sub 10 (I don't think he getting another sub 10). And who is the next filler? Callendar? Marcus Duncan? You think that team go beat out Canada, UK, South Africa or Japan for a medal? As I said we will have a good chance if any two of these teams drop or mess up the exchange  (US, Jam, Canada, UK, South Africa or Japan ). I am still hopeful for our 4x100 men. But I think the glory days of the team has gone. And I am ready to accept it.

I am hopeful for MLA and Keshorn. Them along with Cedenio will probably be our best individual contenders for a medal.

As I said. We will probably get a surprise medalist. No one had RT down for a medal in 2008. No one had Lalonde or Keshorn for a medal in 2012. But if I had to choose a surprise medalist it will come from MLA, Keshorn or Cedenio.

One last thing the team of Bledman, Sorrillo, Callender and Thompson will not come even close to the NR. Lucky if the run sub 38.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Forgot to add, I'm picking Jamaica or GB to beat out BAH for a medal in the 4x400

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

why not predict who will win a GOLD medal for T&T?  :D

Doh worry we know why

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

I wonder who this clown is addressing?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

I wonder who this clown is addressing?

you quoted me and called me a clown, ok Socap*ssy  :D

YOU bite at my comment FIRST so safe to say it addressed you  :D

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

Sando is just a realist. Sando what your predictions? I predicting 2 maybe 3 medals.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

Sando is just a realist. Sando what your predictions? I predicting 2 maybe 3 medals.

well as a Trini I want to see all my athletes win Gold but it is not my expectations, I hope they prove me wrong.

My expectation is NO gold medal, although I feel Keshorn and the men 4x400 relay team have the best chances to bring home gold medals.

As for silver and bronze (either one) I really only see Keshorn, men 4x400, women 4x100 and Machel Cedenio with any realistic chances to win any medal.

Most disappointed with Jehue Gordon, he was much better than this few years ago. To see a former World Champion relegated to just being considered one with a fighting chance to only make it to the final

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Before I begin, you're probably one of the few posters on here who I consider as a fountain of knowledge when it comes to track and field. If you were to ask me my predictions before the season began, I would have said the same thing you said:

- 5 medals
- 4x100 men
- 4x100 women
- 4x400 men
- Keshorn Javelin

But let's be realistic and not too optimistic. RT has run only one sub 10 for the year. He came 5th or 6th in his last race. The competition was mediocre. And he never even made the final. So what makes you think he has it in him to compete against the big names when they enter into the fray? I will keep rooting for him. But let's not let hope and optimism cloud our judgement. If he makes the semi, I will be surprised. And I hope he does make me eat my words.

As for the men's 4x100, they only medalling if two teams screw up the exchange. Canada, GB, and South Africa currently have faster runners than us. This is probably one of our weakest 4x100 teams in years. RT not in the form that he was in 4 years ago, Bledman coming of an injury (although he is getting healthier). Sorrillo has gotten his first sub 10 (I don't think he getting another sub 10). And who is the next filler? Callendar? Marcus Duncan? You think that team go beat out Canada, UK, South Africa or Japan for a medal? As I said we will have a good chance if any two of these teams drop or mess up the exchange  (US, Jam, Canada, UK, South Africa or Japan ). I am still hopeful for our 4x100 men. But I think the glory days of the team has gone. And I am ready to accept it.

I am hopeful for MLA and Keshorn. Them along with Cedenio will probably be our best individual contenders for a medal.

As I said. We will probably get a surprise medalist. No one had RT down for a medal in 2008. No one had Lalonde or Keshorn for a medal in 2012. But if I had to choose a surprise medalist it will come from MLA, Keshorn or Cedenio.

One last thing the team of Bledman, Sorrillo, Callender and Thompson will not come even close to the NR. Lucky if the run sub 38.

Addressing points above highlighted.

You stated that Canada, GB, and South Africa currently have faster runners than us.

Lets look at their top 4 sprinter times from the IAAF 2016 Top Lists (https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/100-metres/outdoor/men/senior/2016) and compare them with ours:-

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in our TTO Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.97 (1 sub-10s) Richard THOMPSON
9.99 (1 sub-10s) Rondel SORRILLO
10.07 (0 sub-10s) Keston BLEDMAN
10.19 (0 sub-10s) Emmanuel CALLENDER

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in Japan's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

10.01 (0 sub-10s) Yoshihide KIRYU
10.06 (0 sub-10s) Ryota YAMAGATA
10.10 (0 sub-10s) Aska CAMBRIDGE
10.19 (0 sub-10s) Kazuma OSETO

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in South Africa's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-
(A => Time set at Altitude)

9.89 (2 sub-10s) Akani SIMBINE
9.98 A (1 sub-10s) Wayde VAN NIEKERK (most likely will not be part of 4x1 relay pool as will have 400 and 4x4 to concentrate on)
10.21 A (0 sub-10s) Emile ERASMUS
10.21 A (0 sub-10s) Lebokeng SESELE

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in GB's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.96 (1 sub-10s) Joel FEARON (I believe this athlete only set this time this weekend but did not make the GB Olympic team)
10.01 (0 sub-10s) Richard KILTY
10.04 (0 sub-10s) James ELLINGTON
10.06 (0 sub-10s) Chijindu UJAH
10.08 (0 sub-10s) Harry AIKINES-ARYEETEY
10.09 (0 sub-10s) Nethaneel MITCHELL-BLAKE
10.11 (0 sub-10s) James DASAOLU
10.15 (0 sub-10s) Daniel TALBOT
10.19 (0 sub-10s) Adam GEMILI

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in Canada's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.96 (1 sub-10s) Aaron BROWN
9.99 (1 sub-10s) Andre DE GRASSE
10.15 (0 sub-10s) Damian WARNER
10.15 (0 sub-10s) Mobolade AJOMALE
10.21 (0 sub-10s) Gavin SMELLIE

Lets add France in the mix as I believe they are the 2nd best in Europe behind GB.
The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in the French Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.86 (4 sub-10s) Jimmy VICAUT
10.09 (0 sub-10s) Christophe LEMAITRE
10.21 (0 sub-10s) Mickael-Meba ZEZE
I can't find a 4th French sprinter on the IAAF Top List.

Based upon the SB stats above for our TTO athletes and also for our main 4x100m relay competitors, I see no logical reason why GB, Canada, South Africa or Japan should be considered stronger than Team TTO if all the top sprinters in our 4x100m Relay pool turn up in Rio in SB form.

I am in firm belief that even if none of our male sprinters make the 100m Final in Rio that we can still be strong contenders at least for a bronze medal in the 4x100m Relay when we carefully assess the leg speed of our main competitors.
In addition to us still having overall faster leg speed than most of our competitors besides Jamaica and USA I also believe that with enough relay practice and with smooth efficient baton changes we will go sub-38 and might even challenge our current NR of 37.62.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:29:09 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

I made realistic predictions based on what I believe our TTO athletes are capable of.
If you notice I did not predict that one of our TTO athletes would win a definite gold medal because I was being real. I did however mention that our Men's 4x4 relay team should be able to contest Bahamas and USA for the gold medal if our top 4 quarter-milers turn up to Rio in sub-45 form.

If after stating all that some one would ask why not predict who will win a GOLD medal for T&T then I am understandably forced to view them as a clown as they obviously don't want me or anyone else in this thread to be honest and realistic and so can't be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:15:22 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

well as a Trini I want to see all my athletes win Gold but it is not my expectations, I hope they prove me wrong.

My expectation is NO gold medal, although I feel Keshorn and the men 4x400 relay team have the best chances to bring home gold medals.

As for silver and bronze (either one) I really only see Keshorn, men 4x400, women 4x100 and Machel Cedenio with any realistic chances to win any medal.

Most disappointed with Jehue Gordon, he was much better than this few years ago. To see a former World Champion relegated to just being considered one with a fighting chance to only make it to the final

Thank you Sando. I thought many shared Socapro view that we have a good chance of walking away with 5 medals. 2 to 3 is what you and I saying. Which is very realistic and possible. 5 medals is beyond optimistic. I guess that's why you said to guess who is going to win gold.

What really bothers me though, is that in the past 13 years we had multiple medalist in different events. Seems like almost all of our individual medalist only win one individual medal at either the world's or Olympics, then that is it. No consistency like the Americans or the Jamaicans.

Jehue got his first sub 48 in 2012. In 2013 her ran 47.6. I thought 2016 would have been the year for him to bring home Gold. The furred competition in the 400mh is not the strongest. Especially since a lot of the great who have dominated have either retired or too old. Jackson, Sanchez, Taylor. Clement? 

Despite Jehue current form, he still has the belief that he will make it. And I hope he does.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

- 5 medals
- 4x100 men
- 4x100 women
- 4x400 men
- Keshorn Javelin

Addressing points above highlighted.

You stated that Canada, GB, and South Africa currently have faster runners than us.

Lets look at their top 4 sprinter times from the IAAF 2016 Top Lists (https://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/100-metres/outdoor/men/senior/2016) and compare them with ours:-

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in our TTO Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in Japan's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

10.01 (0 sub-10s) Yoshihide KIRYU
10.06 (0 sub-10s) Ryota YAMAGATA
10.10 (0 sub-10s) Aska CAMBRIDGE
10.19 (0 sub-10s) Kazuma OSETO

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in South Africa's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-
(A => Time set at Altitude)

9.89 (2 sub-10s) Akani SIMBINE
9.98 A (1 sub-10s) Wayde VAN NIEKERK (most likely will not be part of 4x1 relay pool as will have 400 and 4x4 to concentrate on)
10.21 A (0 sub-10s) Emile ERASMUS
10.21 A (0 sub-10s) Lebokeng SESELE

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in GB's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.96 (1 sub-10s) Joel FEARON (I believe this athlete only set this time this weekend but did not make the GB Olympic team)
10.01 (0 sub-10s) Richard KILTY
10.04 (0 sub-10s) James ELLINGTON
10.06 (0 sub-10s) Chijindu UJAH
10.08 (0 sub-10s) Harry AIKINES-ARYEETEY
10.09 (0 sub-10s) Nethaneel MITCHELL-BLAKE
10.11 (0 sub-10s) James DASAOLU
10.15 (0 sub-10s) Daniel TALBOT
10.19 (0 sub-10s) Adam GEMILI

The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in Canada's Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.96 (1 sub-10s) Aaron BROWN
9.99 (1 sub-10s) Andre DE GRASSE
10.15 (0 sub-10s) Damian WARNER
10.15 (0 sub-10s) Mobolade AJOMALE
10.21 (0 sub-10s) Gavin SMELLIE

Lets add France in the mix as I believe they are the 2nd best in Europe behind GB.
The SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in the French Men 4x100m Relay pool are:-

9.86 (4 sub-10s) Jimmy VICAUT
10.09 (0 sub-10s) Christophe LEMAITRE
10.21 (0 sub-10s) Mickael-Meba ZEZE
I can't find a 4th French sprinter on the IAAF Top List.

Based upon the SB stats above for our TTO athletes and also for our main 4x100m relay competitors, I see no logical reason why GB, Canada, South Africa or Japan should be considered stronger than Team TTO if all the top sprinters in our 4x100m Relay pool turn up in Rio in SB form.

I am in firm belief that even if none of our male sprinters make the 100m Final in Rio that we can still be strong contenders at least for a bronze medal in the 4x100m Relay when we carefully assess the leg speed of our main competitors.
In addition to us still having overall faster leg speed than most of our competitors besides Jamaica and USA I also believe that with enough relay practice and with smooth efficient baton changes we will go sub-38 and might even challenge our current NR of 37.62.

That's a good point Soca. But what I look it is consistency. Sorrillo and Thompson haven't even come close to running the times they ran at the Nation trials. You did make a good case that we have a good if not fair chance. So I will give you that one. BUT running sub 38 is not happening for that team . That year we broke the NR we had :
DB running 10.03/4
MB running flat if not sub 10
EC running 10.04
RT running 9.9x

The current crop is far away from that. I will say this though, if they run 38, they will most likely medal.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:34:11 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Doh worry we know why

Thank you Sando. I thought many shared Socapro view that we have a good chance of walking away with 5 medals. 2 to 3 is what you and I saying. Which is very realistic and possible. 5 medals is beyond optimistic. I guess that's why you said to guess who is going to win gold.

What really bothers me though, is that in the past 13 years we had multiple medalist in different events. Seems like almost all of our individual medalist only win one individual medal at either the world's or Olympics, then that is it. No consistency like the Americans or the Jamaicans.

Jehue got his first sub 48 in 2012. In 2013 her ran 47.6. I thought 2016 would have been the year for him to bring home Gold. The furred competition in the 400mh is not the strongest. Especially since a lot of the great who have dominated have either retired or too old. Jackson, Sanchez, Taylor. Clement? 

Despite Jehue current form, he still has the belief that he will make it. And I hope he does.

Don't twist my words this is what I said:
I think we have the potential to win 5 Track & Field medals
before outlining where I think the medals can realistically come from in my Reply #40 above.

Btw I addressed your misconception about Canada, UK, South Africa or Japan having superior overall leg speed than us in the 4x100m Relay in Reply #48 above. The IAAF stats for this season don't support your argument that those teams outside of Jamaica and USA have overall better leg speed than us.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:28:34 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let's not get into semantics. I basically said the same thing. "we have a good chance of walking away with 5 medals ". It's not that different from you saying "We have the potential of winning 5 track and field medals". Maybe the words a different. But the meaning is the same.

I guess you never read my last post. I said you made a good case for a medal for the 4x100 men. So I'm willing to change my viewpoint to a more optimistic one like yours.

Show me the stats thay argue in favor of our NR being broken by the current 4x100m men's team?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That's a good point Soca. But what I look it is consistency. Sorrillo and Thompson haven't even come close to running the times they ran at the Nation trials. You did make a good case that we have a good if not fair chance. So I will give you that one. BUT running sub 38 is not happening for that team . That year we broke the NR we had :
DB running 10.03/4
EC running 10.04
RT running 9.9x

The current crop is far away from that. I will say this though, if they run 38, they will most likely medal.

Based upon the SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in our TTO Men 4x100m Relay pool:-

I would say that Bledman can realistically emulate the time that DB ran on the 1st leg when we set the current 4x1 NR.
Sorrillo can realistically emulate the time that Marc Burns ran on the 2nd leg when we set the current NR.
Calender may not be in 10.04 form as he was back then but 10.19 form and a good curve run on the 3rd leg should be good enough to keep team TTO in contention for a medal on the last leg.
Thompson had not yet set his PB of 9.82 when our team set the current 4x1 NR so provided he can display 9.9x form on anchor which is quite realistic, I see no reason why this current TTO 4x100m relay team can't go sub-38 in Rio and even challenge the NR provided our baton passing is efficient and on point.

With Ato involved with coaching our 4x1 relay teams I see a bronze medal and a sub-38 time by our current TTO Men's Relay team in Rio as quite realistic.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let's not get into semantics. I basically said the same thing. "we have a good chance of walking away with 5 medals ". It's not that different from you saying "We have the potential of winning 5 track and field medals". Maybe the words a different. But the meaning is the same.

I guess you never read my last post. I said you made a good case for a medal for the 4x100 men. So I'm willing to change my viewpoint to a more optimistic one like yours.

Show me the stats thay argue in favor of our NR being broken by the current 4x100m men's team?

I am not predicting that we will break our NR record, what I am predicting is that we can still medal and run a sub-38 time if we run to our full current potential.
We also have the potential to get near to our current NR if our baton changes are on point and all the sprinters in our 4x1 team can display similar form to what they displayed at National Senior Champs.

PS:
I was quite pessimistic about our Men's 4x1 relay team medal chances in Rio until I saw how the guys performed at Senior Champs. So once again we have the potential to win 5 track and field medals, 3 from our relay teams, one from KW in the javelin and one from either MLA or MC. If both MLA and MC live up to their full potential and can win surprise medals then Team TTO can even return back home with 6 medals rather than 5. But to add some balance I do acknowledge that if we have a bad Olympics we can potentially come back home with no track & field medals. Lets hope that things go well and we perform to our full current potential which can mean our T&F athletes copping as many as 5 medals.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:50:02 PM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

DB running 10.03/4
EC running 10.04
RT running 9.9x

Based upon the SB's and no. of sub-10's for the top 4 sprinters in our TTO Men 4x100m Relay pool:-

I would say that Bledman can realistically emulate the time that DB ran on the 1st leg when we set the current 4x1 NR.
Sorrillo can realistically emulate the time that Marc Burns ran on the 2nd leg when we set the current NR.
Calender may not be in 10.04 form as he was back then but 10.19 form and a good curve run on the 3rd leg should be good enough to keep team TTO in contention for a medal on the last leg.
Thompson had not yet set his PB of 9.82 when our team set the current 4x1 NR so provided he can display 9.9x form on anchor which is quite realistic, I see no reason why this current TTO 4x100m relay team can't go sub-38 in Rio and even challenge the NR provided our baton passing is efficient and on point.

With Ato involved with coaching our 4x1 relay teams I see a bronze medal and a sub-38 time by our current TTO Men's Relay team in Rio as quite realistic.

Okay. But no NR will be broken by that team. They haven't even ran a race as yet.. WHICH HAS ME EVEN MORE WORRIED.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I am not predicting that we will break our NR record, what I am predicting is that we can still medal and run a sub-38 time if we run to our full current potential.
We also have the potential to get near to our current NR if our baton changes are on point and all the sprinters in our 4x1 team can display similar form to what they displayed at National Senior Champs.

Okay. I might have misread that. But I still don't think that team will get close. Maybe a 37.9. Not a 37.7

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Okay. But no NR will be broken by that team. They haven't even ran a race as yet.. WHICH HAS ME EVEN MORE WORRIED.

I believe both our Men's and Women's 4x1 Relay teams ran and won relay races at the Blue Marlin Classic Meet in the Bahamas in July. Here is the race video for the Men.

Blue Marlin Track and Field Classic - Men 4x100m Relay
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mvbWyHvB2vg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mvbWyHvB2vg</a>

Trinidad and Tobago wins the men's 4x100m in 39.70 ahead of Bahamas A 39.72, Bahamas B 39.94 and Jamaica 40.67 #BlueMarlinClassic

And here is the race video for the Women.

Blue Marlin Track and Field Classic - Women 4x100m Relay
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WofwQ1g9nJI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WofwQ1g9nJI</a>

Trinidad and Togabo wins the women's 4x100m in 43.16 ahead of Bahamas 43.65, Puerto Rico 43.77, BVI 44.08 and Jamaica 44.50 #BlueMarlinClassic
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:56:22 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Justin Gatlin Talks Olympics, #BlackLivesMatter + Usain Bolt Being Afraid of Him
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zI--v4_2OPA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zI--v4_2OPA</a>

Will Gatlin finally beat Bolt at Rio 2016 Olympic?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EYMcRucuW3I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EYMcRucuW3I</a>

1]; } ?>