March 29, 2024, 12:56:06 AM

Author Topic: IOC Rio 2016 Olympics: Fri.5th~Sun.21st Aug 2016 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)  (Read 76850 times)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: IOC Rio 2016 Olympics: Fri.5th~Sun.21st Aug 2016 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
« Reply #210 on: August 15, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »
Jehue Gordon finshed last in his heat, He has declined very badly since winning World Champs three years ago.

In his defense, the newspapers mentioned that he had abdominal surgery last year and is still on the road to recovery. It MUST be very tough coming back especially in a race like the 400m hurdles where abdominal strength is key.

That being said, why was he selected?
He has not broken 50 this year.
He obviously was not selected to gain experience.
Did they think he would suddenly catch form in Rio?

If he is still sponsored by Adidas, he should have sat out to run after the OG in Europe, in an attempt to regain some confidence ahead of next year's season and WC. If he has lost his sponsorship (though I'm sure he's still getting TT elite funding), then he might have hoped to reclaim something in Rio to gain invitations to some of the bigger meets in Europe later this season.

As it stands he has not done much for his confidence, has not excited any meet promoters, and has only fueled disappointment in the impatient, knowledge-lacking TTO public (imagine some steupsing because Cedenio didn't medal)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
Jehue Gordon finshed last in his heat, He has declined very badly since winning World Champs three years ago.

In his defense, the newspapers mentioned that he had abdominal surgery last year and is still on the road to recovery. It MUST be very tough coming back especially in a race like the 400m hurdles where abdominal strength is key.

That being said, why was he selected?
He has not broken 50 this year.
He obviously was not selected to gain experience.
Did they think he would suddenly catch form in Rio?

If he is still sponsored by Adidas, he should have sat out to run after the OG in Europe, in an attempt to regain some confidence ahead of next year's season and WC. If he has lost his sponsorship (though I'm sure he's still getting TT elite funding), then he might have hoped to reclaim something in Rio to gain invitations to some of the bigger meets in Europe later this season.

As it stands he has not done much for his confidence, has not excited any meet promoters, and has only fueled disappointment in the impatient, knowledge-lacking TTO public (imagine some steupsing because Cedenio didn't medal)

Ah hear everything yuh saying, but if he is not 100% then he should not compete. Like you said why was he selected.

If you going to compete then you cannot make excuses after..

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
Coming off any injury you have to run yourself back to 100%; you cannot train yourself to 100% as the best workouts do not equate to actual competition. But as I assume we agree, that process should not include the OG unless you are from a B standard country like Nauru or Tuvalu in the South Pacific.

Some may argue that it is prudent to carry a 400m hurdler in case of a need in the 4x400m qualifier. However 400m hurdlers typically split about 3-3.5 secs faster than their hurdling times. In his current state of conditioning that would put Jehue in 46.5 to 47 sec relay leg shape which will both be useless and disastrous to the relay team's chances. Decades ago there used to be heats, semis and finals for the 4x400m; these days it's a straight, drag race semi-finals with a lot of talent parity, so you can't chance it with a slow leg.

At least he ran a SB 49.98 today, and it seems like whatever blight he caught spread around to others:
Nicholas Bett (KEN) - DQ
Jeffery Gibson (BAH) - 52.77
Michael Tinsley (US) - 50.18
Kareem Hussein (SUI) - 49.80
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:39:52 AM by STMB »

Offline RC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »
He was injured last year and should not have gone to the world champs. Maybe he has not fully recovered from his surgery. Both he and his coach should have realised he was in no shape to compete at the olympics. He is running more than 1.5 sec slower than he did as a 17 year old. this must have been evident in training.    I hope his career does not go the way of another talented ex world junior champ

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Michelle won her heat 22.50s

Semoy 2nd and through to the semi finals with a 22.78s

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »
Niceness. Today, today, tomorrow, tomorrow, Michelle will deliver.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2016, 06:41:33 PM »
Gatlin probably the only American w/o Jamaican roots who can recite the JA anthem word for word
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
Years now I watching Mikel Thomas run 100 hurdles for T&T and he could never get past the first round at International events.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »
Hard Luck dey Alison Felix.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
Unlike the diving pool, the track blue, so she figure she would dive in.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »
Gatlin probably the only American w/o Jamaican roots who can recite the JA anthem word for word

Ha Ha Ha  ;D allyuh good oui.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »

We had a few athletes who competed today, why no commentary on them. I understand the low expectations  :D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2016, 09:05:41 PM »

Ha Ha Ha  ;D allyuh good oui.

:) 

All he could do was walk around with a smug expression. Would have been solid if he had manned up and congratulated Bolt. If he did, I did not see it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2016, 09:21:11 PM »

We had a few athletes who competed today, why no commentary on them. I understand the low expectations  :D

I have not seen the results. Who win ?

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
Years now I watching Mikel Thomas run 100 hurdles for T&T and he could never get past the first round at International events.
He does have a herky-jerky/ high jump over each hurdle style; don't know how he runs the times he does.

He has however advanced a few times out of the heats:
2016 World Indoor Championships (Portland) - 7th in his semi-finals
2013 World Outdoor Championships (Moscow) - 4th in his semi-finals
2008 Olympic Games (Beijing) - 6th in his quarter-finals
In lesser competition he won gold in the 2015 U-23 NACAC (north America, Central America and Caribbean) Games

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2016, 09:33:54 PM »

Only noteworthy news were MLA winning her heat in commanding fashion in 22.50, Semoy Hackett advancing as well, and Bellville advancing to the 400m hurdles semis as one of the faster losers.

It's buffet style so use your mouse and click around iaaf.org/results:

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2016, 11:40:10 PM »
Morris sees relay gold after Cedenio’s record run

WALTER ALIBEY

Former national quarter-miler Ian Morris believes the time for an Olympic Gold medal in the 4x400 metre relays for T&T is now.

“This is our time to win an Olympic Gold medal so take it. Please do not let this opportunity go to waste, I am begging you runners,” Morris pleaded yesterday during an interview with the Trinidad Guardian.

Cedenio, a past student of Presentation College, San fernando, produced an explosive burst of speed while challeneging for the gold medal from Lane 3 in the men’s 400 metres finals at the Olympic Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Sunday night. The 20-year-old featuring in the fastest One-lap race in history, eclipsed the previous national 400 metres record (44.21) set by Ian Morris at the semi-final stage at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, when he raced to the finish-line in 44.01 but had to settle for fourth place.

The gold medals was won by South African Wayde Van Niekerk, who ran from lane 8 in a world record time of 43.03 with Grenadian Kirani James second in 43.76  and American Lashawn Merrit third in 43.85.

Befor the race Cedenio had said: “I will need to go below the national record because there are three men with sub 44 times, and they are running fast.”

In his analysis, Morris explained the United States team will be dependent on Lashawn Merrit who will be required to perform in the 200 metres, which will place the US team under tremendous pressure, while other main contenders like Bahamas are not at full strength presently.

The former footballer, who made athletics his career for two decades while contesting the 200, 400 and 800 metres events, believes the T&T team is equipped with quarter-milers who are capable of 44-seconds performances at any given time.

“We have Machel Cedenio who is an outstanding athlete along with Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow, Deon Lendore and of course Lalonde Gordon, all of whom can produce at the 400 metres, so our chance is greater than any other in the world right now,” Morris explained.

Morris who produced a sensational run in the 400 metres final at the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games that saw him finish fourth in a new national record time of 44.25 seconds, is hoping that all the quarter-milers will feed positively off Cedenio who, apart from finishing fourth in the Olympic 400 metre final on Sunday night, also broke Morris’s 24-year old national record of 44.21 seconds set in the semi-finals rounds in Barcelona, with a new benchmark of 44.01.

The 4x 400 metre relays will be the last event on the calendar of events at the Olympics and it produces the country’s only chance of at a gold medal in that event, Morris said.

He lashed out at the performances of some athletes, saying they seem to be running for themselves and not the country.

According to Morris, who hails from Siparia: “A number of runners, with the exception of Cedenio, Semoy Hackett, Gordon and Michelle Lee Ahye, have been going through the motions at the Olympics.

These are runners who have benefitted from the Elite Athletes Funding towards their preparations, and yet, they look anything like they want to win. I am not talking about winning medals only, but we must see a greater effort from them. We need to see a greater effort from our athletes.”
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:41:45 PM by STMB »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2016, 04:29:39 AM »
Bahrain get rea shameless importing two Jamaicans so.

Was thinking: what punishment awaits for false starting?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2016, 06:35:22 AM »

:D you really asking who win?

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
Im glad to see MLA running the 200m so comfortably I know that even in the Carifta days she did not like the 200. My only hope is that see finishes all of this healthy and takes a rest after the games.

Offline RC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »
Good run from Sorillo 20.27 to advance as a fast loser

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »
Perspective:
Cedenio's NR 0f 44.01 would have medalled in every other Olympic Games 400m final in history.

In many it would have garnered gold or silver, and in all except this one, at least bronze.

He moved from 46th (44.34) to 15th fastest 400m performer ever.

Only Jeremy Wariner (44.00); Larry James (43.97); Kirani James (43.94); and Steve Lewis (43.87) have run faster before turning 21 (Cedenio will be 21 in September) - all are Olympic champions except Larry James an Olympic silver medallist. Nice company and great signs for his future.

I see the goodly TT journalist reads our posts, glad to help:

MAJOR PLAYER
Record-breaking Cedenio climbing fast
Published on Aug 15, 2016, 11:00 pm AST
By Kwame Laurence

BEST-EVER T&T 400m RUNNER: Trinidad and Tobago's Machel Cedenio reacts after competing in the Men's 400 metres Semifinal at the Olympic Stadium in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday.

Machel Cedenio made a strong statement on Sunday night at the Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium, here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The 20-year-old finished fourth in the Olympic Games men's 400 metres final, but more importantly, announced himself as a major player in what is arguably the greatest era in the one-lap event.

“It feels great,” Cedenio declared during an Express interview after the championship race. “I didn't get a medal but I still leave here with a personal best, a national record. That goes to show that I went out there and gave it my all. It just wasn't enough to be on the podium.”

Cedenio's 44.01 seconds clocking chopped a full two-tenths of a second off the previous Trinidad and Tobago record of 44.21, established by Ian Morris in the semifinal round at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Finally, after 24 years, a new name appears in the books.
Cedenio is not likely to surrender his T&T 400m standard for a long time. The clocking, though, seems certain to change.

“I'm still 20. I haven't reached the peak in my career. I can go faster. My body feels good right now. Me and my coach will go back to the drawing board, get stronger in certain areas, probably do more speed. We have a lot of things we need to fix, with my body still maturing. So yeah, I have confident I'll go faster than 44.01.”

The clocking earned Cedenio 15th spot on the all-time world performance list, and would have been fast enough for a medal at any other Olympic Games. The Rio 2016 final, however, featured three Olympic champions: 2008 gold medallist LaShawn Merritt of the United States; his Grenadian successor Kirani James; and the champion in waiting, South Africa's Wayde van Niekerk.

It is now history that van Niekerk, running blind in the difficult lane eight, was unchallenged for the gold medal. He successfully raced against the clock, stopping it at 43.03 seconds to erase American Michael Johnson's 17-year-old world record from the books.

“I don't regret being in this era,” said Cedenio. “Being a part of it is really something special to me. This goes to show that anything can happen. Michael Johnson's record, 43.18, was there and a lot of guys were saying it's there forever, nobody is going to break it. But van Niekerk broke it!”

James clocked 43.76 seconds for silver, while bronze went to Merritt in 43.85. Cedenio battled with his heart and soul in an effort to catch the pair. Never was the phrase “leaving it all out on the track” more applicable. Absolutely spent, Cedenio could not get to his feet after the race and was taken off the track in a wheelchair.

“My body went to a place it never went before. My body was in shock. I couldn't feel anything in my legs, so they chaired me off to the medic. I got oxygen there, and they took care of me.”

Cedenio said he's confident the T&T medical team will have him ready to spearhead the country's medal challenge in Saturday's 4x400m final.

“They're exceptional. They'll advise me accordingly to do the right stuff. I'll handle business. There are three other guys depending on me right now to make the country happy, so I'm going to go back to rehab and make sure I recover, make sure I get my massage, make sure I get my ice, and get ready for the 4x4.

“We have a great group of quartermilers, probably the best era Trinidad and Tobago has ever seen. We're definitely in medal position right now.”
Cedenio is officially the best-ever T&T 400m runner, and potentially a global great as well. Only three quartermilers in history have run faster than Cedenio did on Sunday, at a younger age: James and American Steve Lewis at 19; and another American, Jeremy Wariner at 20 years, six months. Cedenio is 20 years, 11 months.

James, Lewis and Wariner are all former Olympic champions. Cedenio is in pole position to join them. But before the 2020 Tokyo Games, the 2014 world junior champion must negotiate two IAAF World Championship meets, starting with the 2017 edition in London, England.

“I'll go for a sub-44 time at World Champs next year. These are the meets where you want to run your best. I'm going to give it my all. I know I can go faster. I still have work to put in, so I'm hoping for a sub-43. Sorry, a sub-44.”

A Freudian slip, perhaps? With van Niekerk taking the event ever so close to uncharted territory, Cedenio might very well have to re-think his goals as he challenges for global one-lap supremacy in the years ahead.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »

Boy, it look as though only the men from Siparia bringing there A game this rounds.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:50 AM »
Perspective:
Cedenio's NR 0f 44.01 would have medalled in every other Olympic Games 400m final in history.

In many it would have garnered gold or silver, and in all except this one, at least bronze.

He moved from 46th (44.34) to 15th fastest 400m performer ever.

Only Jeremy Wariner (44.00); Larry James (43.97); Kirani James (43.94); and Steve Lewis (43.87) have run faster before turning 21 (Cedenio will be 21 in September) - all are Olympic champions except Larry James an Olympic silver medallist. Nice company and great signs for his future.

I see the goodly TT journalist reads our posts, glad to help:

MAJOR PLAYER
Record-breaking Cedenio climbing fast
Published on Aug 15, 2016, 11:00 pm AST
By Kwame Laurence

BEST-EVER T&T 400m RUNNER: Trinidad and Tobago's Machel Cedenio reacts after competing in the Men's 400 metres Semifinal at the Olympic Stadium in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday.

Machel Cedenio made a strong statement on Sunday night at the Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium, here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The 20-year-old finished fourth in the Olympic Games men's 400 metres final, but more importantly, announced himself as a major player in what is arguably the greatest era in the one-lap event.

“It feels great,” Cedenio declared during an Express interview after the championship race. “I didn't get a medal but I still leave here with a personal best, a national record. That goes to show that I went out there and gave it my all. It just wasn't enough to be on the podium.”

Cedenio's 44.01 seconds clocking chopped a full two-tenths of a second off the previous Trinidad and Tobago record of 44.21, established by Ian Morris in the semifinal round at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Finally, after 24 years, a new name appears in the books.
Cedenio is not likely to surrender his T&T 400m standard for a long time. The clocking, though, seems certain to change.

“I'm still 20. I haven't reached the peak in my career. I can go faster. My body feels good right now. Me and my coach will go back to the drawing board, get stronger in certain areas, probably do more speed. We have a lot of things we need to fix, with my body still maturing. So yeah, I have confident I'll go faster than 44.01.”

The clocking earned Cedenio 15th spot on the all-time world performance list, and would have been fast enough for a medal at any other Olympic Games. The Rio 2016 final, however, featured three Olympic champions: 2008 gold medallist LaShawn Merritt of the United States; his Grenadian successor Kirani James; and the champion in waiting, South Africa's Wayde van Niekerk.

It is now history that van Niekerk, running blind in the difficult lane eight, was unchallenged for the gold medal. He successfully raced against the clock, stopping it at 43.03 seconds to erase American Michael Johnson's 17-year-old world record from the books.

“I don't regret being in this era,” said Cedenio. “Being a part of it is really something special to me. This goes to show that anything can happen. Michael Johnson's record, 43.18, was there and a lot of guys were saying it's there forever, nobody is going to break it. But van Niekerk broke it!”

James clocked 43.76 seconds for silver, while bronze went to Merritt in 43.85. Cedenio battled with his heart and soul in an effort to catch the pair. Never was the phrase “leaving it all out on the track” more applicable. Absolutely spent, Cedenio could not get to his feet after the race and was taken off the track in a wheelchair.

“My body went to a place it never went before. My body was in shock. I couldn't feel anything in my legs, so they chaired me off to the medic. I got oxygen there, and they took care of me.”

Cedenio said he's confident the T&T medical team will have him ready to spearhead the country's medal challenge in Saturday's 4x400m final.

“They're exceptional. They'll advise me accordingly to do the right stuff. I'll handle business. There are three other guys depending on me right now to make the country happy, so I'm going to go back to rehab and make sure I recover, make sure I get my massage, make sure I get my ice, and get ready for the 4x4.

“We have a great group of quartermilers, probably the best era Trinidad and Tobago has ever seen. We're definitely in medal position right now.”
Cedenio is officially the best-ever T&T 400m runner, and potentially a global great as well. Only three quartermilers in history have run faster than Cedenio did on Sunday, at a younger age: James and American Steve Lewis at 19; and another American, Jeremy Wariner at 20 years, six months. Cedenio is 20 years, 11 months.

James, Lewis and Wariner are all former Olympic champions. Cedenio is in pole position to join them. But before the 2020 Tokyo Games, the 2014 world junior champion must negotiate two IAAF World Championship meets, starting with the 2017 edition in London, England.

“I'll go for a sub-44 time at World Champs next year. These are the meets where you want to run your best. I'm going to give it my all. I know I can go faster. I still have work to put in, so I'm hoping for a sub-43. Sorry, a sub-44.”

A Freudian slip, perhaps? With van Niekerk taking the event ever so close to uncharted territory, Cedenio might very well have to re-think his goals as he challenges for global one-lap supremacy in the years ahead.

Kwame Laurence is quite knowledgable. I´ve spoken track with him on a number of occassions. I don´t think he needs this Forum as a reference but you never know.  ;)
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
So you see no coincidence that the exact set of disparate points happen to all end up in his one article the day after it was posted?

Don't worry I 'm not asking for commission. As I said glad to help
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:36:28 AM by STMB »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
So you see no coincidence that the exact set of disparate points happen to all end up in his one article the day after it was posted?

Perhaps I am simply more knowledgable on this topic.

I did an interview with Ian Morris years ago. I happened to mention the historical perspective of his 1992 time in relation to the Olympics and Gold medals. Kwame and I had practically the same paragraph. Can´t remember who wrote first but we were stating facts and thus our paragraph was basically the same. I know neither of us copied from the other.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »

So I hope that run left a lot remaining in his tank, because I do not know how fit and ready he is to run close to 20.10. He will need to run close to that time in the semis to make final

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
All the Anti-American track fans (mostly Jamaicans) jump for joy on social media after Miller dives head first like a swimmer to win. They do not care how she did it, they just care America did not win. You have to just shake your head at them

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
I did not see Sorillo race, but I heard the announcer said that Sorrillo slowed up and was passed on the line. And he might regret this because of lane position in the semis.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »

Perhaps I am simply more knowledgable on this topic.

I did an interview with Ian Morris years ago. I happened to mention the historical perspective of his 1992 time in relation to the Olympics and Gold medals. Kwame and I had practically the same paragraph. Can´t remember who wrote first but we were stating facts and thus our paragraph was basically the same. I know neither of us copied from the other.

I have some hilltop land to sell you in Cocal...steups

1]; } ?>