March 28, 2024, 01:14:12 PM

Author Topic: IOC Rio 2016 Olympics: Fri.5th~Sun.21st Aug 2016 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)  (Read 76828 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: IOC Rio 2016 Olympics: Fri.5th~Sun.21st Aug 2016 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
« Reply #420 on: August 20, 2016, 11:43:30 PM »
2016 was our worst Olympic performance because we won only 1 medal and our athletes qualified for 7 finals (javelin, shot put, M400, W100, W200, M4x100, W4x100).  MLA and Dylan Carter set national records.

Compare this to pre 1948, 1956, 1968, 1972, 1980-1992, (no medals) and even 2004 (1 bronze medal), 2016 was our worst Olympics.  Trinis not easy.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2016, 11:45:08 PM »
No seen RM, in recent history, the foll would apply: DY (man u), RL (porto), Marv (rangers) and Shaka (newcastle, west ham). All winning accolades with their resp high profile clubs at the height of their careers, honorable mention for KJ...we agree on the most important thing though, we need to be more serious across the board re-investment in sport.

Next up, Levii

I would agree on Latas, Yorke and Shaka.  Levis is next up as you said.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 20, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »
What happened with Botswana?????
Botswana put their 2 fastest men in 1 and 2, then some average fellas to finish up.
They didn't run Thebe (44.22 this year), nor Nijel Amos (800m) who runs 45.5 and splits 44 mid, which would have put them in a strong gold-medal position.

The silver and bronze times would have been bettered by TTO's NR performance in last year's world championships; wasted opportunity; we continue to throw away plattered opportunities.

throw away indeed.  this was the big disappointment for me with TTO squad but stuff happens.  I am sure those guys will never make that mistake again.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 21, 2016, 08:24:58 AM »
What happened with Botswana?????
Botswana put their 2 fastest men in 1 and 2, then some average fellas to finish up.
They didn't run Thebe (44.22 this year), nor Nijel Amos (800m) who runs 45.5 and splits 44 mid, which would have put them in a strong gold-medal position.

The silver and bronze times would have been bettered by TTO's NR performance in last year's world championships; wasted opportunity; we continue to throw away plattered opportunities.

throw away indeed.  this was the big disappointment for me with TTO squad but stuff happens.  I am sure those guys will never make that mistake again.

Apparently Lalonde Gordon accidentally took one or two early steps out of his lane after he collected the baton from Solomon. It won't have given him any real advantage but it broke rule 163.3a and both T&T and GB being DQed allowed Brazil to reach the final and to give the Brazilian crowd their home team to cheer for in the final track event of the Olympics.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 21, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »
If ppl feel this is due to marketing and promotion and strong administration and organization..then we dotish for real

a friend of mine and ex-national athlete wrote on FB , I hope he don't mind to much I post it here

"Now that the Olympics events are over I want to voice my opinion about the many misguided and negative remarks from Trinbagonians about our athletes. I am a very hurt and disappointed by the level of ignorance in the remarks from some people. So, we only got one medal, (congrats to Keshorn Walcott for his 3rd place in the javelin) but that is no reason to disrespect and bring down our athletes by calling them failures. Our athletes gave it their all. Being 4th or 5th or 6th in the world is to be celebrated. Many bigger nations with more resources don't achieve that. Trinidad and Tobago is always looked upon as a small athletic power-house by the other nations. Do you all really understand what it takes to bring yourself to world-class level in their respective events? Do you all realize the many hours of brutal training, sacrifices, personal expense and the lack of proper structure in our culture that should nurture athletes from a young age. How many of you ever went to a track meet? Jamaica has made athletics (track and field) the number ONE sporting priority in the country. The largest crowd at any event in Jamaica is at High School Champs. In Trinidad, if you get a couple hundred at our champs, even senior champs, you are lucky. (Look at the photos for comparison.) We all know that through the years various governments, business corporations and the general public do not invest in making sure the basic structure is in place to nurture our athletes, those in the arts or those gifted in other fields. Hasley Crawford, our first gold medal winner, used to train in the cane fields before going away to Eastern Michigan. Even when athletes go away on scholarship they face many hardship at their various schools. (I went away on a track scholarship and had to work part-time as a janitor, while studying and training, to get pocket change.) Trinis are low-class freeloaders. No support when you're coming up but as soon as you make it big everyone wants to jump on your back for a free ride. Some of us are dotish people. Show your love for every single athlete who put on that beautiful red uniform (the same red that you all love to fly with “pride”) and went out there to showcase Trinidad and Tobago to the world. Next Champs, I want to see you all at the Hasley Crawford Stadium showing love to the athletes. If not, hush all yuh mudda arse."

https://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica/videos/679282952226813/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:41:47 AM by maxg »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 21, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
If ppl feel this is due to marketing and promotion and strong administration and organization..then we dotish for real

a friend of mine and ex-national athlete wrote on FB , I hope he don't mind to much I post it here

"Now that the Olympics events are over I want to voice my opinion about the many misguided and negative remarks from Trinbagonians about our athletes. I am a very hurt and disappointed by the level of ignorance in the remarks from some people. So, we only got one medal, (congrats to Keshorn Walcott for his 3rd place in the javelin) but that is no reason to disrespect and bring down our athletes by calling them failures. Our athletes gave it their all. Being 4th or 5th or 6th in the world is to be celebrated. Many bigger nations with more resources don't achieve that. Trinidad and Tobago is always looked upon as a small athletic power-house by the other nations. Do you all really understand what it takes to bring yourself to world-class level in their respective events? Do you all realize the many hours of brutal training, sacrifices, personal expense and the lack of proper structure in our culture that should nurture athletes from a young age. How many of you ever went to a track meet? Jamaica has made athletics (track and field) the number ONE sporting priority in the country. The largest crowd at any event in Jamaica is at High School Champs. In Trinidad, if you get a couple hundred at our champs, even senior champs, you are lucky. (Look at the photos for comparison.) We all know that through the years various governments, business corporations and the general public do not invest in making sure the basic structure is in place to nurture our athletes, those in the arts or those gifted in other fields. Hasley Crawford, our first gold medal winner, used to train in the cane fields before going away to Eastern Michigan. Even when athletes go away on scholarship they face many hardship at their various schools. (I went away on a track scholarship and had to work part-time as a janitor, while studying and training, to get pocket change.) Trinis are low-class freeloaders. No support when you're coming up but as soon as you make it big everyone wants to jump on your back for a free ride. Some of us are dotish people. Show your love for every single athlete who put on that beautiful red uniform (the same red that you all love to fly with “pride”) and went out there to showcase Trinidad and Tobago to the world. Next Champs, I want to see you all at the Hasley Crawford Stadium showing love to the athletes. If not, hush all yuh mudda arse."

Couldn't say it better especially that comment about most Trinis behaving like Low-class Freeloaders demanding something for nothing.
They want to make great demands on our athletes come Olympics yet they generally don't show our athletes the required love and support at local meets from school level coming up.
We are generally getting the results that we deserve and need to look in the mirror when we make all these demands for Olympic gold medals from our athletes.

Big-up to the Jamaicans who honestly deserve every bit of the success in athletics that they are currently reaping today. We should not envy them but rather try our best to emulate them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:46:04 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 21, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica/videos/679282952226813/
T&T athletes has to be the most bunch of pampered and insecure people in the world if they can't take criticism people are free to voice there opinion weather you like it or not.

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 21, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
ffisback, leave it be lmao its just a justification for never giving 100 percent that's all
always with the Jamaica comparison, yet let ah Jamaican perform the way how this TnT team play and you will see lots of Support and love for their team*sarcastically*

if you want me to support you show me why i should , give me a reason to support, give me a reason to spend my money to come and see and then i will say yes. i will support, and second that ex athlete is just what you call ah emotional one. you don't go in to sports for people to support you and love you.
you go in to be the best you can be and striving the be the best in the world.not performing and waiting for people to come and see you.
it just's shows that athletes are just ah extension of Trinidad Culture or lack of passion etc.same way he bawling fans are free loading bandwagonist......
same way athletes are attention seeking whores, who desire money and bling and all that life style to walk like starz! yet there performance is mediocre!! its a two way street not a one way,
cause if people love to support mediocrity so. then they should expect it  in there daily life and never complain when someone give them ah half ass job on they work or there boss pay them for mediocrity and expecting full pay....!! its plain and simple.!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 21, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
Can't take criticism ? that is what what you get from this ? pampered and insecure...Ppl free to voice opinion, and nobody allowed to voice their own opinion informing whether those people are in fact wrong ? so who really pampered and insecure here..check what you saying..
 That's ok. We need different perspectives to learn and grow as people... many voices make a choir (band,team,country), but it takes a lot of work to ensure they are in harmony and work together to make beautiful music, otherwise it's just chaos and noise..The point above was not a defense of criticism of the athletes.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 21, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
so ppl have eyes but can't see, legs and can't walk, a mind and can't think, many blessings yet to them it's a curse..everything and still nothing.. I can't help

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 21, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »
Can't take criticism ? that is what what you get from this ? pampered and insecure...Ppl free to voice opinion, and nobody allowed to voice their own opinion informing whether those people are in fact wrong ? so who really pampered and insecure here..check what you saying..
 That's ok. We need different perspectives to learn and grow as people... many voices make a choir (band,team,country), but it takes a lot of work to ensure they are in harmony and work together to make beautiful music, otherwise it's just chaos and noise..The point above was not a defense of criticism of the athletes.

:thumbsup:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 21, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

There is validity on both sides of this argument. There is validity in exposing the lack of support for TF at home. Track meets are sorely lacking in support. I am still surprised to see Southern Games still holding on. But the other meets are full of invisible people. On the other hand, the critics have valid points. The mistakes that caused the DSQ hurts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:47:14 PM by Deeks »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 21, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »
What hurts is when I look at the medal table for the battle for Caribbean supremacy well the Bahamas normally finish ahead of us in the olympics anyway but when I see Grenada to finishing ahead of us that 1 hurts me.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 21, 2016, 11:19:15 PM »
What hurts is when I look at the medal table for the battle for Caribbean supremacy well the Bahamas normally finish ahead of us in the olympics anyway but when I see Grenada to finishing ahead of us that 1 hurts me.

I am not hurt by Grenada finishing ahead of us, at least 25% of Afro-Trinis have a link with Grenada if you go back far enough in their family tree. All ah we is one family as Lord Nelson says!
When Cedenio becomes an official sub-44 quarter-miler and can beat Kirani James in an Olympic final then that will ensure that Grenada don't finish ahead of us if none of our other athletes medal in their events.
In addition we also need Deon Lendore and Lalonde Gordon to step up and keep ahead of Bralon Taplin of Grenada with their SB and PB times so that when Grenada brings their M4x400 team that they do not end up displacing us as one of the top three Caribbean M4x400 relay teams alongside Jamaica and Bahamas.

If our M4x400 team was not DQed in Rio we would most likely had won silver and would have finished ahead of Grenada in the Medal Table with 1 silver and 1 bronze but mishaps and mistakes do happen to teams in the relays from time to time. Lets hope our M4x400 team learn from this and don't make a similar mistake again in the future especially at the Olympics.

We also need to develop a Women's 4x400m Relay team that can do well at World Relays next year and eventually qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and challenge for a medal like our other relay teams.

If T&T can up our game in all our relay teams preparations by ensuring that they run more regularly together and get more practice then we have the potential to win at least 3 relay medals in the W4x100m, M4x100m & M4x400m when the next Olympics comes round.
So if we do that and Jehue can regain his 2013 400m Hurdles form and Keshorn can continue as he is going plus Cedenio can get into the top 3 in the Men 400m and MLA and eventually St Fort can get into the top 3 in the 100m and 200m and KAB can get back into 10.8x form to keep up with MLA and St Fort then come Olympics we should be able to seriously challenge for at least 8 medals in:-
W100m, W200m, M400m, M400m Hurdles, M Javelin, W4x100m, M4x100m & M4x400m

Once we can be strong and serious medal contenders in the 8 events above then chances are we will always come out of the Olympics with at least 3 to 4 medals minimum and if we have a very good Olympics potentially 8 medals.

It would be also great if at least 3 of our male sprinters can step up in the 100m and 200m and become regular sub10 and sub-20 sprinters listed in the top 10 in the world every season so that we can start back having at least one T&T male sprinter making the 100m and/or 200m finals at the Olympics. 
That way we can at least ensure that Japan and China can no longer beat us in a World Champs and Olympic 4x100m Final as is now starting to become normal.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:10:09 AM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 22, 2016, 12:06:47 AM »
Some of you want to soft-talk this Olympic experience and conclude that all of our athletes did their very best and were just unfortunate. If we accept that, then nothing will change for the better for TTO T&F.

This Olympics was underwhelming, plain and simple - no matter how much lipstick we want to put on the pig.

When you have athletes performing worse at the Olympic Games than they did at TTO Olympic trials, that is a failure. Conditions were no worse, and most likely better at the Rio Olympic stadium (track, wind, competition, etc).

We therefore have to evaluate why not just a few, but a significant measure of our seasoned and professional athletes, receiving elite funding, and resident at world-class training groups in the US could get it so wrong. If we don't then we pissing into the wind.

I for one will not advocate calling athletes by puerile names nor offering up destructive criticism, but when they do not perform up to their capabilities then it begs a question - are they injured, are they fully-fit as they say, did they overtrain, were they mentally prepared, were they properly peaked and tapered, were the OG village accommodations inadequate, was the food in the OG village a cause of any discomfort, etc.

In a news article the team mentioned they had a GREAT camp. I beg to differ.
100m MEN
No one ran even close to their SB, OG trial times, far less their PB, at the Olympic Games, the Olympic Games people - what they all train their lives for. Given that our 100/200m sprinters are aging and in their last OG cycle, if no one comes forward to mention that they are carrying an injury/niggle, etc. then this campaign was a failure in preparation, a failure in peaking or tapering, a failure in judging ones efforts during the rounds - all extremely disappointing for an experienced group.
4x100m MEN
While we competed commendably in the semis, our experienced athletes had a lane or passing zone violation in the final, something that we have been astute enough in the past OGs to prevent. Not one athlete nor designated coach has come forward and owned up as an adult or professional to say, look it was my fault and not my intention, not one person.
4x100m WOMEN
Someone has to speak up about Khalifa St. Fort's underwhelming performance on anchor and why a change was not made. The first indication was in the semis. An 11.16 performer does not get gapped or overtaken by some of our competition (Germany and Nigeria) that hardly has that talent even on their anchor (Okagbare ran the 2nd leg). I have to assume the young lady is not 100%, because no one has voiced up to it.
4x400m MEN
This was a most disappointing result. Lalonde Gordon suffered a mental mishap that as an experienced pro, he should not have, and needs to verbally take responsibility and move on.

Maybe I'm premature here. Maybe once they leave Rio and collect their thoughts they will do so. But all we are hearing is that they all did their very best and the lost opportunities were just misfortunes. That is not what I'd expect from professionals. You are receiving all sorts of financial assistance - explain yourself.

In some of the events, we had athletes meeting the qualifying standards but did not expect medals (110m hurdles, 200m MEN and WOMEN, 400m hurdles WOMEN). Then there was the 400m hurdles MEN (why was Jehue Gordon selected). What, he get a pass because he "in the club"? He was a world champion 3 years ago but has declined (48.7, 49.2, 49.98). it is only recently we are hearing about recovery from surgery.

So to one poster,
YES, we need to revamp the entire approach including marketing, promotion, proper coaching, funding redistribution to improve the appeal and brand of T&F in TTO.
YES, some of us in the forum are actually former TTO junior and senior athletes who have experienced the hamster wheel ourselves, know what we are talking about, and want to see TTO T&F get out of this sad story cycle.

But we keep doing the same crap. Maybe you've heard the recycled story - "A world class talent or 2 comes along every 5-10 years, we ride that/those athletes back, showering them with praise, gifts and resources, like a Nobel Prize recipient, while neglecting the 99%. Then we fool the public with short memories into believing that T&F is on an upswing. When said athlete(s) pass(es) their peak we start to denigrate them and leave them out in the cold, unless they are locally connected, got an education along the way, or decide to stay abroad".

So let's be honest, objective, and analytical here. Achieving sustainable improvement will not come by chance, there is a measure of will, science, expertise, and practicality needed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:51:57 AM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 22, 2016, 12:51:36 AM »
STMB, I agree with most of your above post but would word this bit slightly different to be more accurate.

Some of you want to soft-talk this Olympic experience and conclude that all of our athletes did their very best and were just unfortunate. If we accept that, then nothing will change for the better for TTO T&F.

I do believe that all our athletes gave their very best but most were not properly prepared either physically or mentally or both to make their best efforts count when it mattered the most.

Sorrillo for example did not progress out of the 100m Heats because he slowed down and assumed that he had the 2nd place secured behind Gatlin.
He then came back in the 200m Heats and almost made the same mistake again by relaxing & slowing down in his 200m heat before the line and only made it to the Semi Finals in 200m as a fastest loser. As we know fastest losers always get the worst lanes in Semis and so Sorillo was given lane 1 in his 200m Semi Final and so could not progress and ran even slower than he did in the Heats.
What was disappointing to me about Sorrillo is that he stated in an interview after he won the 200m Final at National Trials that he was prepared to go sub-20 this season because everything was going well in training, etc and he had no injuries to contend with this season. I was hoping that he was saving his best for the Olympics and would go sub-20 there and hopefully make the 200m Final to prove that he is progressing both physically and mentally as an athlete with all his experience.

Deon Lendore and Lalonde Gordon were both disappointing in the individual 400m and after seeing them run in the Heats and Semi Final respectively I started to worry a little about us being able to win gold ahead of the USA or even silver or bronze ahead of one of the other top contenders but I never imagined that we won't even make it to the 4x4 Final due to a DQ and none of our quarter-milers who made the mistake and was responsible for us being DQed would own-up and come out and say my bad, I made a novice error but promise that I will learn from this and never make such an error ever again.

I also believe that in the W4x100m relay that both Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Khalifa St Fort were clearly not at their best and that Reyare Thomas should have ran the 3rd leg and Kai Selvon should have run the 4th leg in the 4x100m Final and we could have most likely performed better and go sub-42 in that Final. But I am not the relay coach to see how they are running in practice but to me no one should be guaranteed a spot in the 4x100m Final if they were clearly not at their very best in the 4x100m Heats. Competition for places and best performances is what will help us to medal and once we move away from that standard we are going to be throwing away our best chances to medal especially seeing that our rivals for 3rd place are now regularly running sub-42 while we are still stuck on 42.xx times which is no longer good enough for 3rd place in the W4x100m Final.

Stlll big-up to these Team TTO athletes who all performed to expectation and made the Finals in their individual events:-

Michelle-Lee Ahye (100m/200m Finalist)
Machel Cedenio (400m Finalist)
Cleopatra Borel (Shotput Finalist)
Keshorn Walcott (Javelin Finalist)

We can expect these 4 Team TTO athletes just above to be rewarded with a lot of Diamond League invites before the season ends and during the next season based upon their Olympic Finals performances.
Special big-up to Keshorn Walcott for the bronze medal which saved our TTO Olympic Team from having a totally disastrous Olympic medal winning campaign this time round.

For Team TTO to seriously win at least 10 gold medals in our Olympic history by 2024 as is the current TTOC Olympic Medal Campaign slogan, we needed to win 2 or 3 gold medals at this Rio Olympics and another 3 gold medals at Tokyo 2020 and another 3 gold medals at the 2024 Olympics wherever that is held.
So as it now stands we are already 2 or 3 gold medals short of achieving the TTOC Olympic medal winning target of 10 golds by 2024 which means to catch up we now need to win at least 4 gold medals in 2020 to take our total up to 6 gold medals and then another 4 gold medals in 2024 to take us up to 10 gold medals.
Unless we get serious like Jamaica is about track & field and other sports I can't see where this ambitious goal of 10 Olympic gold medals by 2024 is going to come from unless one or two of the other sports outside of track and field also start to contribute Olympic gold medals to our Olympic treasure chest.

We also need to see some of the Indo-Trini population making the Olympic standard in their sport of choice and in our TTO Olympic team as their clear lack of representation in the TTO Olympic team should be of serious concern. If White-Trinis could make our Olympic team by attaining the Olympic standard in their sport of choice and they are such a small percentage of our T&T population then what is stopping Indo-Trinis who make up about 35% of our population from making our Olympic team to reflect the full diversity of T&T as a nation?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:33:41 AM by Socapro »

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 22, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
I agree with the above post. There needs to be a larger contingent represented by athletes, men and women of all races. This country is too talented to have 1 medal.

Thank god for Keshorn who salvaged something for us. We have regressed and failure should not be commended.
Bolt said after his first games he cried and that the people in Jamaica called him a failure. Now they call him GOAT. We as a people need to stop accepting mediocrity
whey boy!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 22, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
Reaching the Olympic games by attaining the standards (not any special invite) is mediocre now. ok. Let`s try looking at this from perspective of athlete & coach. As STMB correctly pointed out. Any athlete-coach who goes to THE big meet and does not do a pb or sb would have a solid dose of introspection and reflection of their sport. From a personal level, the greatest support is required when failure occurs, more so than when successful. This is when everything has to be analyzed, emotional. mental and physical and trying to determine what processes and methods must be changed and improved upon or in many cases, and probably most difficult, which must be persevered with.
 As we see, even if a world class athlete manage a pb, does not guarantee a medal or even a final look. That does not make them less of being world class. At this level it takes sifting through a lot of earth to find a few diamonds, we are blessed with many small diamonds with very little work, yet it is not enough. Which in itself is fine, but are we willing to do more work to reap larger rewards, or are we just gonna sit back and comment on the size of the little diamonds we reap. I happened to be in TT for the National meet and was so encouraged by the radio and television promotion that I said I had to be there. Many people I spoke to said they saw the ads, and had to be there, especially because everyone knew someone from their area who was competing personally. From Richard Thompson to noname athletes I didn`t know. I had no less than 10 offers to go down on Friday & Saturday. Suddenly everyone of those offers were busy on Friday. On Saturday, Ato`s dad passed for me, and to look in on his aunt, I told him go ahead, about 2 buddies passing for me. I eventually begged a cousin to give me a lift, and she couldn`t stay as she had a dinner date that evening. No one who indicated they would be there showed, I know because while searching for Ato`s dad(which didn`t take long) among the relatively few ppl I didn`t see them or they me.
Ato dad chastised me for not knowing better. When you look at the difference in pictures above, the difference can be viewed as lots of earth in one and hardly any in the other.
 Yes, the athletes can do better, but realize they know it. Listen to them. Listen to the winners. Even them expected to have done better, based on their previous results and training. Even the Legend felt so, but he won. And he is confident that he would not have to carry on longer, because he has served to motivate and encourage many in his country, as he has been encouraged by the support and spotlight he recieved as a young athlete.
 If we will constantly chastise our strong representatives when they fail, if even by their own standards, then expect our few young potentials to find ways to avoid this negativity, and not waste their time with other people non-acceptance of mediocrity. Meanwhile, we might be throwing out the baby with the dirty bath water. I thank god for the coaches and parents who however keep those that persist encouraged and going, those fans, who actually come out to support, Like my little friend and grandmother who travelled from La Brea  and paid a weekend to stay in town to see and support their neighbour Sorillo run, and others like them. I am sure they were very proud of him, irregardless of his result this time.

Yes, changes should and must be made, but let`s not destroy and discourage and instead analyze, modify,tweak and encourage. I think the long term results would be more satisfactory. I have been trying with my own kids and so far it has been good, in spite of their current mediocrity on the world stage. Yet, it`s still a personal choice. And if they make it , I know we all tried our best, and therein lie our Success.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 22, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Reaching the Olympic games by attaining the standards (not any special invite) is mediocre now. ok. Let`s try looking at this from perspective of athlete & coach. As STMB correctly pointed out. Any athlete-coach who goes to THE big meet and does not do a pb or sb would have a solid dose of introspection and reflection of their sport. From a personal level, the greatest support is required when failure occurs, more so than when successful. This is when everything has to be analyzed, emotional. mental and physical and trying to determine what processes and methods must be changed and improved upon or in many cases, and probably most difficult, which must be persevered with.
 As we see, even if a world class athlete manage a pb, does not guarantee a medal or even a final look. That does not make them less of being world class. At this level it takes sifting through a lot of earth to find a few diamonds, we are blessed with many small diamonds with very little work, yet it is not enough. Which in itself is fine, but are we willing to do more work to reap larger rewards, or are we just gonna sit back and comment on the size of the little diamonds we reap. I happened to be in TT for the National meet and was so encouraged by the radio and television promotion that I said I had to be there. Many people I spoke to said they saw the ads, and had to be there, especially because everyone knew someone from their area who was competing personally. From Richard Thompson to noname athletes I didn`t know. I had no less than 10 offers to go down on Friday & Saturday. Suddenly everyone of those offers were busy on Friday. On Saturday, Ato`s dad passed for me, and to look in on his aunt, I told him go ahead, about 2 buddies passing for me. I eventually begged a cousin to give me a lift, and she couldn`t stay as she had a dinner date that evening. No one who indicated they would be there showed, I know because while searching for Ato`s dad(which didn`t take long) among the relatively few ppl I didn`t see them or they me.
Ato dad chastised me for not knowing better. When you look at the difference in pictures above, the difference can be viewed as lots of earth in one and hardly any in the other.
 Yes, the athletes can do better, but realize they know it. Listen to them. Listen to the winners. Even them expected to have done better, based on their previous results and training. Even the Legend felt so, but he won. And he is confident that he would not have to carry on longer, because he has served to motivate and encourage many in his country, as he has been encouraged by the support and spotlight he recieved as a young athlete.
 If we will constantly chastise our strong representatives when they fail, if even by their own standards, then expect our few young potentials to find ways to avoid this negativity, and not waste their time with other people non-acceptance of mediocrity. Meanwhile, we might be throwing out the baby with the dirty bath water. I thank god for the coaches and parents who however keep those that persist encouraged and going, those fans, who actually come out to support, Like my little friend and grandmother who travelled from La Brea  and paid a weekend to stay in town to see and support their neighbour Sorillo run, and others like them. I am sure they were very proud of him, irregardless of his result this time.

Yes, changes should and must be made, but let`s not destroy and discourage and instead analyze, modify,tweak and encourage. I think the long term results would be more satisfactory. I have been trying with my own kids and so far it has been good, in spite of their current mediocrity on the world stage. Yet, it`s still a personal choice. And if they make it , I know we all tried our best, and therein lie our Success.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 22, 2016, 09:56:22 AM »
NO UNITY IN RIO

Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott who won T&T’s only medal at the Rio Olympics which ended yesterday, has blasted the lack of team spirit and unity within the T&T camp during the Games.

“We did not do so well as a team this year because honestly, for my part, we were not a team. We did not come together as a unit as in 2012. I was young in 2012 and I was one of the younger ones and I saw the gelling of the team, but here it was not like that. I would not say it was the athletes, I would have to say it was the heads. You need to be able to understand that for a team to be able to perform properly you need to bring them together.”

Walcott, who stunned the world in London in 2012 at the age of 19 when he became the second Trinidadian to win an Olympic gold medal, said the overall environment was bad for everyone.

“It is the environment. When you as a team do not feel everybody is together (it) is like everybody is just concentrating on their own,” he added.

Asked about the pre-Olympic camp organised by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee, which was designed to bring the team together, Walcott brazenly dismissed that, “Let’s move on,” he said.

Walcott said that people needed to be aware of how tough competition is at the Olympics. “These are the best athletes in the world and people need to understand that.”

Walcott was high in praise for his coach Cuban Ishmael Lopez-Mastrapa. 

“I have so much to be thankful for my coach especially and all my team because my coach has brought me here today. He has worked with me so much I thank him. This is because of him,” said Walcott.

The Toco-born Walcott said he was again very proud of his achievement.

“I am glad that we have a medal for Trinidad and Tobago and hope for support going forward. It is not easy competing against the best, so I just to thank God for that and all he has done and continues to do for me,” said a proud Walcott.

“I am just happy to get a medal. I wanted gold but to be in the top three was good enough. It has been a tough season; not the build-up I would have wanted leading up to these Games but I just kept on trying my best,” said Walcott. 

“I wanted to win four gold medals by 2024, but now I will have to settle for three and that is my goal—to keep improving and to not be concerned by other matters.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 22, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
NO UNITY IN RIO

Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott who won T&T’s only medal at the Rio Olympics which ended yesterday, has blasted the lack of team spirit and unity within the T&T camp during the Games.

“We did not do so well as a team this year because honestly, for my part, we were not a team. We did not come together as a unit as in 2012. I was young in 2012 and I was one of the younger ones and I saw the gelling of the team, but here it was not like that. I would not say it was the athletes, I would have to say it was the heads. You need to be able to understand that for a team to be able to perform properly you need to bring them together.”

I suspect had something to do with the Marissa Dick issue, some T&T athletes were harbouring feelings about her selection on the team. Very unfortunate if tis was the case. Olympics come only every four years. A wasted opportunity for them

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 22, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
NO UNITY IN RIO

I suspect had something to do with the Marissa Dick issue, some T&T athletes were harbouring feelings about her selection on the team. Very unfortunate if tis was the case. Olympics come only every four years. A wasted opportunity for them

Tell em Keshorn. On social media I saw positive vibes from only a few (specifically Cleo was a joy to follow). On Instagram only Cleo congratulated Keshorn which seemed odd. Something went down. The other athletes were quite active on social media but didn't have much to say to/about Keshorn when he won bronze
whey boy!

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 22, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

This Olympics was underwhelming, plain and simple - no matter how much lipstick we want to put on the pig.

When you have athletes performing worse at the Olympic Games than they did at TTO Olympic trials, that is a failure. Conditions were no worse, and most likely better at the Rio Olympic stadium (track, wind, competition, etc).

We therefore have to evaluate why not just a few, but a significant measure of our seasoned and professional athletes, receiving elite funding, and resident at world-class training groups in the US could get it so wrong. If we don't then we pissing into the wind.

I for one will not advocate calling athletes by puerile names nor offering up destructive criticism, but when they do not perform up to their capabilities then it begs a question - are they injured, are they fully-fit as they say, did they overtrain, were they mentally prepared, were they properly peaked and tapered, were the OG village accommodations inadequate, was the food in the OG village a cause of any discomfort, etc.

In a news article the team mentioned they had a GREAT camp. I beg to differ.
100m MEN
No one ran even close to their SB, OG trial times, far less their PB, at the Olympic Games, the Olympic Games people - what they all train their lives for. Given that our 100/200m sprinters are aging and in their last OG cycle, if no one comes forward to mention that they are carrying an injury/niggle, etc. then this campaign was a failure in preparation, a failure in peaking or tapering, a failure in judging ones efforts during the rounds - all extremely disappointing for an experienced group.
4x100m MEN
While we competed commendably in the semis, our experienced athletes had a lane or passing zone violation in the final, something that we have been astute enough in the past OGs to prevent. Not one athlete nor designated coach has come forward and owned up as an adult or professional to say, look it was my fault and not my intention, not one person.
4x100m WOMEN
Someone has to speak up about Khalifa St. Fort's underwhelming performance on anchor and why a change was not made. The first indication was in the semis. An 11.16 performer does not get gapped or overtaken by some of our competition (Germany and Nigeria) that hardly has that talent even on their anchor (Okagbare ran the 2nd leg). I have to assume the young lady is not 100%, because no one has voiced up to it.
4x400m MEN
This was a most disappointing result. Lalonde Gordon suffered a mental mishap that as an experienced pro, he should not have, and needs to verbally take responsibility and move on.

Maybe I'm premature here. Maybe once they leave Rio and collect their thoughts they will do so. But all we are hearing is that they all did their very best and the lost opportunities were just misfortunes. That is not what I'd expect from professionals. You are receiving all sorts of financial assistance - explain yourself.

In some of the events, we had athletes meeting the qualifying standards but did not expect medals (110m hurdles, 200m MEN and WOMEN, 400m hurdles WOMEN). Then there was the 400m hurdles MEN (why was Jehue Gordon selected). What, he get a pass because he "in the club"? He was a world champion 3 years ago but has declined (48.7, 49.2, 49.98). it is only recently we are hearing about recovery from surgery.

So to one poster,
YES, we need to revamp the entire approach including marketing, promotion, proper coaching, funding redistribution to improve the appeal and brand of T&F in TTO.
YES, some of us in the forum are actually former TTO junior and senior athletes who have experienced the hamster wheel ourselves, know what we are talking about, and want to see TTO T&F get out of this sad story cycle.

But we keep doing the same crap. Maybe you've heard the recycled story - "A world class talent or 2 comes along every 5-10 years, we ride that/those athletes back, showering them with praise, gifts and resources, like a Nobel Prize recipient, while neglecting the 99%. Then we fool the public with short memories into believing that T&F is on an upswing. When said athlete(s) pass(es) their peak we start to denigrate them and leave them out in the cold, unless they are locally connected, got an education along the way, or decide to stay abroad".

So let's be honest, objective, and analytical here. Achieving sustainable improvement will not come by chance, there is a measure of will, science, expertise, and practicality needed.

my friend, well said indeed. and everything you said is basically my point, but then again im not gonna cry down the athletes, most of them to big and Olympic Seasoned to be getting lambasted for there poor performances from me!! i just hope people see, what needs to be done and do it.
and be held accountable, cause how much Hundred thousand of dollars in they get in elite funding yet,this is what im getting, then they shouldn't be elite but just above average!!
what they should be doing is from the time they reach 32,start parting uh knowledge and training in to coaching in your specific community.
also that 5yr cycle is like a religion in Trinidad and Tobago Sporting culture,
always have to wait for that special talent to say yea i train that, instead of actually making talent sprinters from ordinaries!
i hope i will be doing my part soon, which will be on coaching part!!! and seriously be able to do something with these talent we have here... in the end, we need to start breeding winners in our next Generation to come in sport or culture etc, it needs to be fueled.
and Winners i mean by Mentality!! cause we fail miserably on that when it comes to mental preparations etc . start instilling winning attitudes in kids from ages= 5 to 12 and continue it up in process!!! stop with the let them have fun talk!! which they should by no means!! but still they must be nurtured to take it seriously and use it as a way to the world!! etc
well that's what ill be doing.any how!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 22, 2016, 06:43:42 PM »

While this could true, I really don't see how this could be a major factor. I had my opinion on the situation. I think the gym fed. are the major culprit in this mess. But Keshorn probably  rightly point to the management not doing certain things to encompass team unity. Our team was small. It not like US, China, Russi, etc. We have 3 yrs before Tokyo. Enough time to turn this paper boat around.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »
Hello forumites!!   I reach back!!!  Had a fantastic time.  The semi final game between Brazil and Honduras was the sporting highlight of my trip.  Not the mess Honduras made of themselves, but the atmosphere in the Maracana was electric.  I'm kinda disappointed I didn't get a reason to wave mih flag for a medal at one of the athletic events.  I was already back by the time Keshorn medalled.

The sporting powers that be need to get their act together man geez!!  Overall, I had a great time!!  I almost feeling to got to Tokyo but if I have to fight up with Cartan Global for tickets, eh, eh...not me and dem bandits papa!!

Later forumites!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 23, 2016, 03:37:12 AM »

Yup looks like both Bahamas and Grenada did better than T&T

https://www.facebook.com/myvtv/posts/1238011526217181?pnref=story

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 23, 2016, 06:07:54 AM »
For those who feel hurt that Grenada is above TT ..... tough f....king luck. Who the hell we Trini think we are because dem backward Grenedians cut we arse in the medals race. They learn from Trini, and they doing what it takes to get results on a limited budget. One Caribbean. One Love.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2016, 06:31:54 AM »

Yup looks like both Bahamas and Grenada did better than T&T

https://www.facebook.com/myvtv/posts/1238011526217181?pnref=story

Kudos to Grenada for having representatives in the decathlon. When are we going to get on board with the same?!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2016, 07:54:25 AM »
For those who feel hurt that Grenada is above TT ..... tough f....king luck. Who the hell we Trini think we are because dem backward Grenedians cut we arse in the medals race. They learn from Trini, and they doing what it takes to get results on a limited budget. One Caribbean. One Love.

At least 25% of the Afro-Trini population have a Grenadian family connection.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2016, 05:49:57 PM »

Ato Boldon breaks his silence… TTO relay team did not practise together in Rio

If what Ato Boldon said on Wednesday is true, then there must be a serious enquiry into the Trinidad and Tobago camp at the just concluded Rio Olympics.

Speaking on CNC3 on Wednesday, Boldon broke his silence by revealing that the members of the Trinidad and Tobago’s women 4×100 metre relay team never practised together while in Brazil.

Boldon, a four-time Olympic medallist, said when he saw Trinidad and Tobago women team run 42 seconds at the World Championships in 2015 in Beijing, he told them he knew they needed to work harder on their times if they are to medal at the 2016 Olympics. As part of the coaching staff then, he told them not to become complacent as they needed to improve on their times.
Read More; http://ttwhistleblower.com/ato-boldon-breaks-silence-tto-relay-team-not-practise-together-rio/

1]; } ?>