March 29, 2024, 09:25:46 AM

Author Topic: 15th IAAF World Championships 2015: 22nd~30th August (Beijing, PR of China)  (Read 73387 times)

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
JG......9.84   +2.1

UB......9.96   -0.2

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
jehue clearly not fully fit, should have stayed home. I don't want him anywhere near the 4x4 team

They should have selected Emanuel Mayers for the 4x4 relay pool based upon how well he performed at the Pan Am Games instead of Jehue Gordon. That was another short-sighted decision by our NAAA management to leave Emanuel Mayers out of the relay pool.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline RC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
17.43m
maybe the season was a bit too long for Borel, i think this  is her worst performance this season

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
17.43m
maybe the season was a bit too long for Borel, i think this  is her worst performance this season

Really disappointed

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
17.43m

She threw 18.55 in the qualifying round. Don't think her bad performance was due to a long season. Something else went wrong.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joy to sorrow
Borel's medal bid halted by freak injury

Published on Aug 22, 2015, 9:34 pm AST
By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com

MODEL OF CONCENTRATION: Trinidad and Tobago shot putter Cleopatra Borel is a model of concentration as she prepares to throw on the opening day of the IAAF World Championships, in Beijing, China, yesterday. Borel finished 12th in the women’s shot put final. —Photo: @GETTY IMAGES

Achieving her best-ever IAAF World Championship finish was no consolation for Cleopatra Borel as a freak injury put paid to her chances of earning a top-eight spot and a shot at a medal, at the Bird's Nest Stadium here in Beijing, China, yesterday.

Competing at the World Championships for the sixth time, Borel was 12th in the women's shot put final, improving on her previous best finish—13th in the 2011 final in Daegu, Korea.

Severely hampered by a finger injury, sustained while warming up for her medal bid, Borel was very flat and could only manage a 17.43 metres effort.

“I hurt my finger warming up and that was it,” a bitterly disappointed Borel told the Sunday Express. “Something happened and it separated my fingers. It was just kind of a freak thing. I was doing what I always do and the shot just came out my hand bad. I couldn't throw after that.

“It's something that's happened before,” the Trinidad and Tobago athlete explained. “In the past it was just on this portion of my finger, but now I feel pain in the middle of my hand so hopefully it's nothing too serious.”

Borel produced the 17.43m throw in round one. Very unhappy with her next effort, the 2015 Pan American Games champion deliberately stepped on the stop board for a foul. And in round three, she landed the shot just 16.85m, ensuring early elimination from the final.

Germany's Christina Schwanitz grabbed gold with a 20.37m throw. Lijiao Gong (20.30m) earned silver for the host nation, while bronze went to American Michelle Carter (19.76m).

Borel went into the World Championships in fourth spot on the 2015 world outdoor performance list at 19.26m.

“I've had so many good meets this year, and when it counted the most it felt like my body let me down, so it's tough,” said the 36-year-old thrower, fighting back the emotions on a day that promised much but delivered little.

At the end of yesterday's qualifying competition, Borel was in buoyant mood. She had thrown 18.55m to secure an automatic berth in the final, the quality effort earning her sixth spot.

Borel had an ordinary start in the qualifying event, throwing the iron ball 17.01m.

“I don't even know what happened there. I was trying to not rush and not be stressed, and I was just so slow and deliberate and not like myself, so I had to remember to go after it.”

And that she did in round two. Following a chat with her coach, Ismael Lopez Mastrapa, Borel went well past the 18.30m automatic qualifying mark. The 18.55m effort was a big confidence booster ahead of the final.

“You know my history with qualifying. I had to work extremely hard to have that kind of throw under my belt when necessary, so I'm really really happy that I can do it for myself and for my coach and for the whole team…start things right for the team, and come back this afternoon and hopefully do well again.”

Unfortunately, the freak warm-up injury scuppered Borel's plans.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:17:56 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Our medal chances are now down to Keshorn, our women sprinters and our quarter milers.

Sparkle Mc Knight could also surprise us in the 400m hurdles and make the final based on her recent form.

Regards the Men's 400m hurdles Jehue needs to focus on getting himself back to 100% healthy and fitness for next season. On a related note looks like Kerron Clement is back in good form.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jehue's reign over
Injured Bledman out, bitter over Pan Am

Published on Aug 22, 2015, 9:22 pm AST
By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com

OUT GOES THE CHAMP: Jehue Gordon goes over a barrier during the second men's 400 metres hurdles first round heat, at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China, yesterday. The 2013 champion finished seventh in 49.91 seconds, and did not advance to the semis. —Photo: @GETTY IMAGES

Jehue Gordon was under no illusions about the uphill battle he faced at the IAAF World Championships here in Beijing, China. But he is a true warrior, and was not prepared to surrender his title without a fight.

Gordon battled in the opening round of the men's 400 metres hurdles. But while the 2013 world champion's mind was willing to do the work required, his body was weak. He could only finish seventh in heat two in 49.91 seconds—not fast enough to earn a semi-final lane as a “fastest loser”.

“I know what I've been working with,” Gordon told the Sunday Express, “and how challenging things have been.”

Diagnosed with a sports hernia, Gordon had been working against the clock to get ready for his title defence.

“I wanted to come out there and at least not back down from the fight. It's better to go out there and give a good effort. I wasn't able to give an effort that I think I was capable of, but that's the nature of sport. Nothing's ever guaranteed, and I still have to be thankful to God.”

Gordon stayed away from competition for six weeks as he tried to get his body strong enough to compete with the best one-lap hurdlers in the world.

“Things have definitely been getting better over the last couple weeks, but today with the hurdles I just wasn't as sharp as I would like to be.

“I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to at least make it to the next round, but I can't be angry with myself knowing what I've been faced with and what I've been trying to do. It's definitely not going to turn me off. It's just to continue working hard and believing.”

Kenya's Boniface Tumuti won heat two in a personal best 48.79 seconds to advance to the semis fourth fastest, behind his teammate Nicholas Bett (48.37), Russia's Denis Kudryavtsev (48.51), and T&T-born American Kerron Clement (48.75).

Gordon was 31st overall. Pre-Championship favourite Bershawn Jackson was also eliminated, the American clocking 50.14 seconds for 34th spot.

Keston Bledman was T&T's lone representative in the men's 100m dash. And while he was determined to secure a lane in today's final, the groin injury that had cost him 21 days of training ahead of the World Championships was always going to make it a difficult task.

As it turned out Bledman was unable to successfully negotiate the opening round. Running in heat three, the 27-year-old sprinter struggled from the start, and eventually crossed the line eighth and last in 10.75 seconds.

“I got all kinds of shots in my groin,” said Bledman, “real painful shots just to run. In practice I was going like 30 per cent. From the time I pushed out the block, I felt like everything in my groin just stayed open. I trained really hard, I dieted, I did everything right. It just wasn't my time and it wasn't in God's works.”

But while he accepted his fate, Bledman told the Sunday Express the outcome could have been different had he not competed at last month's Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada.

“To be honest, I didn't want to go to Pan Am because I knew I had a groin injury. I told Trinidad and Tobago that, and they said once you're getting Government funding you have to come. My coaches, Lance Brauman and Gunness Persad called them and told them my main focus was Beijing. I really didn't want to go.

“I told Trinidad going Pan Am would risk it for Worlds, and that's exactly what happened. I was in great shape this year, but I went to Pan Am, got hurt, and blew my chance in the first round.”

American Justin Gatlin led all qualifiers into the semis with a wind-assisted 9.83 seconds triumph in heat six. Jamaica's Usain Bolt, the defending champion, won heat seven in 9.96 to progress fifth fastest.

Bledman's injury has ended T&T's hopes of fielding a men's 4x100m relay team at the Championships. With Rondel Sorrillo and Dan-Neil Telesford also injured and expected to leave Beijing today, only Emmanuel Callender, Kyle Greaux and Mikel Thomas are left in the sprint relay pool.

At 12.14 this morning (TT time), Michelle-Lee Ahye will clash with Ivory Coast sprinter Murielle Ahoure in the third women's 100m first round heat. Semoy Hackett takes on Netherlands athlete Dafne Schippers in heat five. And in the sixth heat, 2011 World Championship bronze medallist Kelly-Ann Baptiste battles Jamaica's 2015 Pan Am Games champion Sherone Simpson.

The women's 100m semi-finals and final are scheduled for tomorrow (Monday) morning (TT time).

After press time, last night, 19-year-old Machel Cedenio opened his World Championship campaign in the first of six men's 400m heats. He squared off against American David Verburg.

The three 2012 Olympic Games medallists—T&T's Lalonde Gordon (bronze), Grenadian Kirani James (gold) and Dominican Republic's Luguelin Santos (silver)—featured in heat four. And in the final heat, T&T's 2009 World Championship bronze medallist Renny Quow matched strides with evergreen Bahamian Chris Brown and South African sensation Wayde van Niekirk.

Also in action after press time was Sparkle McKnight, T&T's lone entrant in the women's 400m hurdles. She clashed with Jamaican Kaliese Spencer in the opening first round heat.

The men's 400m and women's 400m hurdles semis will be contested tomorrow morning (TT time).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:10:07 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Our sprinters have been very injury prone this season particularly the males.

Something needs to be done as too many of them are showing up unhealthy at the major championships.

If Keston Bledman is injured like he seems to be then that's our Men's 4x100m relay chances of even taking part in the 4x1 Heats out the window.

Ato must be frustrated with this situation as one of our relay coaches looking to help our 4x1 relay teams become serious medal contenders.

Why travel and take up a spot in the team if you are not 100% healthy and able to give your best?
I think our athletes need to be checked by our medical team for fitness just before the final team is selected for major championships especially for athletes who have not been active to prove their form and fitness in the last weeks leading up to team selection. Getting the qualifying standard for Championships is one thing but maintaining your form to a medal contending standard and staying healthy is just as important.

Hopefully our female sprinters and our male quarter-milers can salvage something to help get us on the medal table after all the anticipation of good world class performances from members of our team.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:44:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We need the youths now!!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We need the youths now!!!!!

Unfortunately too many of our talented youths are being criminalised and thrown into prison and not enough is being done by us to discover and nuture new talent.

Also most of our talented youngsters that we have discovered in recent years seem to be injury prone which could be restricting their development into world class athletes who can replace our seniors at these major championships without us missing a beat.

If we don't remedy these problems with our talent development systems as quickly as possible we may go thru a long dry spell in male sprinting at the world class level.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:37:43 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bledman vents his frustrations...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HziJNCmP_oU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HziJNCmP_oU</a>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue Gordon speaks on his early exit...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IGdnbVsizyg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IGdnbVsizyg</a>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HziJNCmP_oU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HziJNCmP_oU</a>

I don't understand it. I was of the impression that all our athletes needed to prove their fitness and form before selection to the T&T team.
If they knew that Bledman was hurt then why did they select him to the T&T team and bring him to the World Championships to embarrass himself with a subpar performance?

Also I don't undestand why Bledman was so negative about competing at the Pan Am Games. To me it was an opportunity for him to win a major title and to get himself better prepared for these World Championships by running a few races under silimar conditions against 2nd tier sprinters who he should have been able to dominate.

Bledman also needs to learn to speak slower and clearer in his interviews. I think all our top athletes need to be trained to give professional sounding interviews as part of their training as all top successful athletes should be prepared to give professional interviews in front an international watching audience.
Jehue gave a much more professional sounding interview than Bledman did.

I also think that Bledman needs to give Ato a call as next year could be his last major opportunity to prove himself as a 1st tier sprinter on the world stage. Bledman is in danger of only being regarded as a good relay runner as far as major championships are concerned.

T&T's rich sprint tradition on the men's side is in danger of going into a long dry spell if we are not careful.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:05:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline RC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile

I don't understand it. I was of the impression that all our athletes needed to prove their fitness and form before selection to the T&T team.
If they knew that Bledman was hurt then why did they select him to the T&T team and bring him to the World Championships to embarrass himself with a subpar performance?

Also I don't undestand why Bledman was so negative about competing at the Pan Am Games. To me it was an opportunity for him to win a major title and to get himself better prepared for these World Championships by running a few races under silimar conditions against 2nd tier sprinters who he should have been able to dominate.

Bledman also needs to learn to speak slower and clearer in his interviews. I think all our top athletes need to be trained to give professional sounding interviews as part of their training as all top successful athletes should be prepared to give professional interviews in front an international watching audience.

I also think that Bledman needs to give Ato a call as next year could be his last major opportunity to prove himself as a 1st tier sprinter on the world stage. Bledman is in danger of only being regarded as a good relay runner as far as major championships are concerned.

T&T's rich sprint tradition on the men's side is in danger of going into a long dry spell if we are not careful.

Other than De Grasse there were no other top 100m sprinters at the Pan Am games. The americans and Jamaicans did not force their top sprinters to attend. i am not sure how dominating second tier sprinters would be helpful to someone who competes regularly with the best in the world in the Diamond league. his participation did not deprive anyone a  place on the team. The world championship and olympic games are the events that really count and the TTNAAA needs to work with the top athletes to ensure they are in the best possible condition for the majors. Allowing an olympic champion who has thrown over 90m this season to compete injured a couple months before the world champs is questionable at best. Other than the National championships i hope this does not happen next year.

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Bleadman's heat

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dij84Xe8-44" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dij84Xe8-44</a>
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:39:34 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Other than De Grasse there were no other top 100m sprinters at the Pan Am games. The americans and Jamaicans did not force their top sprinters to attend. i am not sure how dominating second tier sprinters would be helpful to someone who competes regularly with the best in the world in the Diamond league. his participation did not deprive anyone a  place on the team. The world championship and olympic games are the events that really count and the TTNAAA needs to work with the top athletes to ensure they are in the best possible condition for the majors. Allowing an olympic champion who has thrown over 90m this season to compete injured a couple months before the world champs is questionable at best. Other than the National championships i hope this does not happen next year.

I understand your point but aren't our athletes meant to keep themselves relatively active after National Champs to ensure they don't lose their form as a major championship like World Champs or Olympics approaches?

It is not clear from that interview if Keston is saying that he got injured at Pan Am or if he was injured before Pan Am and was still forced to attend.

If the Pan Am Games disrupted Bledman's preparation for Worlds and caused him to get injured then the NAAA TT must take some of the blame for his injury and how he ran earlier today. 
But what I can't understand is why they would force Bledman to run and embarrass himself if they knew he was injured.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:43:14 PM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This has been an issue ever since the WCs were initiated in 1983, with both competitions being held so close to each other. In 1983 the WCs ended a week before the PanAm games started in Caracas, prompting many US athletes to reconsider. Even then Bert Cameron the 400m WChamp did not compete for Jamaica at those games, not even the relay. With both games being "major" competitions the athletes have to compete at high to fairly high levels throughout the rounds which takes a toll on their legs, and then being asked to repeat without sufficient downtime and subsequent ramp up training before the next meet.

One would think that Mr. Serrette being a former national athlete himself would understand these things, so given that Bledman said the NAAAs made participation in the PanAms a prerequisite for WC competition is a disappointing surprise. I am sure they will cite that Andre De Grasse didn't complain, but he was competing in his country, and it is yet to be seen what the impact is as he progresses further.

As RC mentioned, forcing Keshorn Walcott (if that indeed was the case) to basically compete while injured as a prerequisite is both derelict and irresponsible to his and his comrades' future.

Anyway, there are both sides to a story so I will reserve my opinion until I hear what the NAAAs have to say in response to his interview.

Offline RC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
This has been an issue ever since the WCs were initiated in 1983, with both competitions being held so close to each other. In 1983 the WCs ended a week before the PanAm games started in Caracas, prompting many US athletes to reconsider. Even then Bert Cameron the 400m WChamp did not compete for Jamaica at those games, not even the relay. With both games being "major" competitions the athletes have to compete at high to fairly high levels throughout the rounds which takes a toll on their legs, and then being asked to repeat without sufficient downtime and subsequent ramp up training before the next meet.

One would think that Mr. Serrette being a former national athlete himself would understand these things, so given that Bledman said the NAAAs made participation in the PanAms a prerequisite for WC competition is a disappointing surprise. I am sure they will cite that Andre De Grasse didn't complain, but he was competing in his country, and it is yet to be seen what the impact is as he progresses further.

As RC mentioned, forcing Keshorn Walcott (if that indeed was the case) to basically compete while injured as a prerequisite is both derelict and irresponsible to his and his comrades' future.

Anyway, there are both sides to a story so I will reserve my opinion until I hear what the NAAAs have to say in response to his interview.

i don't know if he was forced, merely allowing him to compete was a bad idea IMHO

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ok unto some good news for today Machel Cedenio 2nd in 44.54 advance to the semi

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rusheen MacDonald (JAM) in 43.93, that track/clock like POS or what?

I'll say it again, with so much talent parity the semis may be so fast, that the final may be underwhelming
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:31:15 PM by STMB »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Something wrong with the timing.These 400 times I don't believe it

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sparkle advances too
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That clock in that 2nd 400m Heat must have been off.  It did not look much faster than 1st heat.

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If any of our 400 athlete run full out in the heat . National record gone

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No way mc Donald is and under 44 sec sprinter

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As Ato say, surprises to come - look with both eyes open

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

And from lane 2 or 3 too

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bonevacia from Netherlands went from a 45.4 PR to 44.7 something wrong  with the second heat timing

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Top 6 PR's

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

All T&T 400m men sprinters make it the semis

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I dont believe it too and no disrespect to him. The clock had to be off in that race

1]; } ?>