April 28, 2024, 04:21:03 PM

Author Topic: Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.  (Read 10630 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

Former 2009 Under-20 World Cup players Leston Paul, Jean-Luc Rochford, Qian Grosvenor and Curtis Gonzales are among 18 Trinidad and Tobago players who will try to land professional deals in Europe later this month, through an initiative by local scout Dion Sosa.

The players are due to leave for Turkey on July 16 where they will form a team that plays a series of exhibition matches against various European clubs, who are in pre-season.

Players who catch the eye will hopefully be signed or invited to further trials by watching scouts.

The full list of players includes: Paul, Rochford, Gonzales, Grosvenor, Dwight Quintero, Dario Holmes, Brent Sam, Raheem Belgrave, Jelani Peters, Weslie John, Micah Lewis, Duane Muckette, Keane McIvor, Xavier Rajpaul, Phillip Borde, Jamel Farell, Leon Whyle and Keon Russell.

Quintero, Holmes and Rajpaul are all members of Trinidad and Tobago’s 2015 Pan American squad, which is in action against Uruguay, Paraguay and Mexico on July 13, July 17 and July 21 in Toronto.

Sosa said the players will leave Toronto immediately after their last group match and head for Turkey.

Muckette, Rajpaul and McIvor were with the National Under-23 Team in Puerto Rico last month when they were eliminated from the 2016 Olympic qualifying series by St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Lewis and John are also former national youth team players while Whyle represented St Anthony’s College in the SSFL Premier Division last season.

There will hold a fundraiser for Sosa’s squad at the Prisons recreation ground in Arouca on Sunday July 5, which comprises of an exhibition match between his players and a Prisons XI from 4 pm to 5.45 pm followed by an after-party from 6 pm to midnight.

Tickets cost $100 and are valid for both events.

Sosa explained that the trip would cost roughly TT$23,000 per player and the money generated by the fundraiser will help make up for the shortfall. It is, he said, an unmissable opportunity for the players to put themselves on the European market.

“Many clubs don’t want to see highlight videos anymore, they want to see you play live,” said Sosa, who counts Kazakhstan-based defender Robert Primus and late Hungary-based left back Akeem Adams as former clients. “Clubs from places like Denmark and Sweden don’t come to Trinidad to scout… There are about 200 teams in Turkey right now playing games (in their pre-season).

“This is the chance they get to be seen.”

Sosa, who is not a registered FIFA agent, usually operates in tandem with licensed Dutch agent Humphry Nijman but said he is spearheading this initiative on his own.

The Turkey trials mirrors a similar excursion, two years ago, done by Caledonia AIA, which led to overseas deals for Trinidad and Tobago internationals Ataulla Guerra and Radanfah Abu Bakr and Guyana players Walter Moore and Trayon Bobb.

Caledonia’s venture was done in conjunction with Finland-based agency, Goal Management Group, and spearheaded by FIFA agent Mark Saranlinna.

Former Holland 1974 World Cup player Theo de Jong, who assisted Dutch coach Leo Bennhakker when the “Soca Warriors” qualified for the 2006 World Cup, prepared and coached the Caledonia contingent during their time Turkey.

Sosa will take on the responsibility of coaching the current crop of players himself.

“I am familiar with the players and I will control things there,” said Sosa. “I have a guy there who will prepare them fitness-wise and I will be selecting the teams and making the changes.”

Two players who delayed their own potential overseas careers are National Senior Team attacker Kadeem Corbin and Under-23 midfielder Neveal Hackshaw. Both opted to skip trials with unspecified Belgium clubs to represent their country at the July Gold Cup and Pan Am Games respectively.

“I was supposed to carry Hackshaw and Corbin but they chose to go to the Gold Cup and Pan Am,” said Sosa. “Hackshaw’s trial was supposed to start on Monday. The Belgium clubs cannot afford to wait because July 29 is their opening game for next season. But they chose to go (to international tournaments) instead…

“I am optimistic that between five to seven guys can be signed (from this group), maybe more. The other guys who don’t get through can use it as an experience to build on and try again.”

Most of the players selected are free agents, although their previous clubs will still probably be owed developmental fees if they are hired by European teams.

Sosa said some Pro League clubs were happy to support his venture.

“Jabloteh paid for Sam and Rangers paid for Jelani,” he said. “They were the only two clubs who were willing to help players.”

Sosa’s work in the transfer market has not been without controversy. Last year, Nijman and Sosa clashed with Pro League champions, Central FC, over the services of then 16-year-old attacker Levi Garcia.

In the end, the matter was was resolved after the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) had mediator, Tyrone Marcus, talk to both parties.

At present, Garcia is at Eredivisie club, AZ Alkmaar, where he is due to sign a professional this November on his 18th birthday.

Sosa’s 18 Europe-bound players would be thrilled to follow Garcia’s footsteps.

Potential trialists: Raheem Belgrave, Curtis Gonzales, Dario Holmes, Weslie John, Jelani Peters, Keon Russell, Jamel Farell, Leon Whyle, Leston Paul, Jean-Luc Rochford, Duane Muckette, Keane McIvor, Xavier Rajpaul, Micah Lewis, Qian Grosvenor, Phillip Borde, Dwight Quintero and Brent Sam.

(July 5 Fundraiser)

Exhibition match from 4 pm to 5.45 pm followed by after-party from 6 pm to midnight at Prisons recreation ground, Arouca. Tickets are $100.

CREATRED - July 3rd.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Quintero, Holmes and Rajpaul are all members of Trinidad and Tobago’s 2015 Pan American squad, which is in action against Uruguay, Paraguay and Mexico on July 13, July 17 and July 21 in Toronto.

Sosa said the players will leave Toronto immediately after their last group match and head for Turkey.

Then the incident in Puerto Rico should serve us well then. Because if three players leave an 18 man squad, where does that place us? Need I mention that one of the 18 is the reserve or alternating GK?

Clearly someone has calculated that we won't be progressing out of the group! And, if players on NT duty are of that mindset, then we are well and truly inseminated.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:59:18 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Good initiative for the players.. They need that exposure...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile

Then the incident in Puerto Rico should serve us well then. Because if three players leave an 18 man squad, where does that place us? Need I mention that one of the 18 is the reserve or alternating GK?

Clearly someone has calculated that we won't be progressing out of the group! And, if players on NT duty are of that mindset, then we are well and truly inseminated.

I woulda drop them immediately.

This is why foreign based players even de ones in Colleges will always be better options.

Locals just looking for food and nothing more.

Nobody eh saying they cant go for trials, but they couldn't go a little later?

Sosa have to be a real jackass in true and should be a father figure to these players but instead he looking for money to put in his pocket and not seeking the best for these kids.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sosa will take on the responsibility of coaching the current crop of players himself.

“I am familiar with the players and I will control things there,” said Sosa. “I have a guy there who will prepare them fitness-wise and I will be selecting the teams and making the changes.”

Well, that's ok then. ::)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I woulda drop them immediately.

This is why foreign based players even de ones in Colleges will always be better options.

Locals just looking for food and nothing more.

Nobody eh saying they cant go for trials, but they couldn't go a little later?

Sosa have to be a real jackass in true and should be a father figure to these players but instead he looking for money to put in his pocket and not seeking the best for these kids.

If it's any comfort to them, there will be scouts at Pan Ams.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This Sosa fellah is one slimy toad oui. SMFH

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yuh have a better solution?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yuh have a better solution?

Well, if he was serious, I'd suggest he do the same as Caledonia and organise a professional coach.

But I really don't like these open trials. Sure, if you get a free invite, have a go, but to pay your own way and compete against hundreds is a real long shot. I'm disappointed in Quintero and Leston Paul because they didn't discuss this with Central. We could have got them trials with several MLS and European clubs if they wanted to invest $5 -$10,000.
And before you ask, if Central felt there was a good chance of success, the club would have paid, as in the case of Winchester.

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
What is Sosa gaining from this?  Unregistered agent yet he has clients??
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:07:10 PM by gb8702 »
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »

Well, if he was serious, I'd suggest he do the same as Caledonia and organise a professional coach.

But I really don't like these open trials. Sure, if you get a free invite, have a go, but to pay your own way and compete against hundreds is a real long shot. I'm disappointed in Quintero and Leston Paul because they didn't discuss this with Central. We could have got them trials with several MLS and European clubs if they wanted to invest $5 -$10,000.
And before you ask, if Central felt there was a good chance of success, the club would have paid, as in the case of Winchester.

What about Rochford?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »

What about Rochford?

Yeah, forgot about Jean-Luc. He only started 5 Pro League games for Central last season, although he made some valuable contributions.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
I am surprised players connected to a professional team can just go on trials?

Is this only in T&T?

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
So let me get this. If the TT make it to the second rounds, they still have to go ? I hoped TTFA  clarified this situation before they left for TO.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »
So let me get this. If the TT make it to the second rounds, they still have to go ? I hoped TTFA  clarified this situation before they left for TO.

I can't imagine that the federation is aware. It's an untenable position to support as stated.

Perhaps it's they can leave directly from TO if we don't progress ... they don't have to return to T&T with the squad etc.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:44:55 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »
I am surprised players connected to a professional team can just go on trials?

Is this only in T&T?

I thought this meant these players were released from their clubs or are unattached ... if lacking the blessing/hope that something will come out of it from their clubs (Brent Sam and Jelani Peters).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »

So you think that Sosa by himself, in his individual capacity should be doing the same as a professional club?

As for Quintero and Paul... if Central could have gotten the players trials... why didn't you?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »

So you think that Sosa by himself, in his individual capacity should be doing the same as a professional club?

As for Quintero and Paul... if Central could have gotten the players trials... why didn't you?

I'm sorry, I thought you could read. Here, have another go:  And before you ask, if Central felt there was a good chance of success, the club would have paid, as in the case of Winchester.

I think Sosa by himself, in his individual capacity should either do the job properly and get a decent coach, pay for the players himself or leave it to the clubs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »
Nobody answer the question. What if TT goes to the second rounds, What next?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought you could read. Here, have another go:  And before you ask, if Central felt there was a good chance of success, the club would have paid, as in the case of Winchester.

I think Sosa by himself, in his individual capacity should either do the job properly and get a decent coach, pay for the players himself or leave it to the clubs.

When I treat you with the contempt you so richly deserve you cry and complain about how I'm being a bully... how it's no fun posting on the site anymore, and how...   When I give you the benefit of the doubt that you're off the rag and can respond like the mature intelligent being your God intended you to be, you reveal yourself to be the sensitive asshat that you are deep inside that empty, posturing, prevaricating, decrepit English shell.

Let's try the paint by numbers version:

Unsolicited, you offered that Central could have gotten the players in question better opportunities... if only the players ahd approached Central wo discuss it.  You said that that you were "disappointed" that they didn't approach you.  So... that begs the question, if you were disappointed that the players didn't approach you to arrange a trial, to stave off such disappointment, why not be proactive and call the players in, or arrange the trials anyways?  The answer is that you didn't think the trials would yield any benefit, therefore you didn't initiate the conversation. 

In pointing me back to this comment you reveal your own inability to appreciate that I brought you back here to confront you with the inherent contradictions in your stance: if you were not confident that the trials would yield any opportunities for the players, why are you "disappointed"?  The answer of course is that your issue isn't really about the players or the trial... it's about your personal animosity towards Sosa... as revealed by your irrational final statement.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »

When I treat you with the contempt you so richly deserve you cry and complain about how I'm being a bully... how it's no fun posting on the site anymore, and how...   When I give you the benefit of the doubt that you're off the rag and can respond like the mature intelligent being your God intended you to be, you reveal yourself to be the sensitive asshat that you are deep inside that empty, posturing, prevaricating, decrepit English shell.

Unsolicited, you offered that Central could have gotten the players in question better opportunities... if only the players ahd approached Central wo discuss it.  You said that that you were "disappointed" that they didn't approach you.  So... that begs the question, if you were disappointed that the players didn't approach you to arrange a trial, to stave off such disappointment, why not be proactive and call the players in, or arrange the trials anyways?  The answer is that you didn't think the trials would yield any benefit, therefore you didn't initiate the conversation. 

In pointing me back to this comment you reveal your own inability to appreciate that I brought you back here to confront you with the inherent contradictions in your stance: if you were not confident that the trials would yield any opportunities for the players, why are you "disappointed"?  The answer of course is that your issue isn't really about the players or the trial... it's about your personal animosity towards Sosa... as revealed by your irrational final statement.

Oh God, it's so easy isn't it? Just for you, Mr Sell out-working for the Yankee dollar, one more time...now pay attention:
An unlicensed (travel) agent is charging players $23,000 to attend an open trial that anybody can turn up to. Same unlicensed (travel) agent is going to coach the players and form them into a team, no matter that even you probably have more coaching ability than he. If. by a stroke of luck, a player gets a contract, same unlicensed (travel) agent will get paid a fee. This fee will reduce the package offered to the player who paid his own way in the first place.

My disappointment is that, even though Central may not think the players are ready to attend a trial with a decent club (and therefore haven't arranged such a trial), had they approached us, we could have offered to arrange such a trial at their expense, which would be much less than $23,000.

In what way is that irrational?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »
Bakes daiz not you...jump over the cess pit doh step in it....I know it personal but I know yuh better than that.

On another another note , aren't some of these players under contract with local clubs? if so, is he acting in the capacity as manager of these players? What kind of contract has he, if any, negotiated with the players were they to receive contracts while on tour?
The other issue I have is that with most professional seasons starting in a few weeks why not do this at the end of May when rosters are starting to be examined.
It seems very last minute to me...you're going on "try-outs" in a couple weeks and you haven't raised all the money yet...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:59:49 AM by Flex »

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
Bakes, why you have to lower the tone? True or not, that is not mine or your damn business ie FS's private life. Mods dunno about y'all but to me that last post by Bakes is totally out of order and a personal attack on FS that can't be tolerated.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 11:20:16 PM »
Bakes, why you have to lower the tone? True or not, that is not mine or your damn business ie FS's private life. Mods dunno about y'all but to me that last post by Bakes is totally out of order and a personal attack on FS that can't be tolerated.

Thomo, Bakes is a loser plain and simple.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »

He did the same years ago and decided to attack my mother and father, people he doesn't know based on hearsay.. People shielded him and his name from me but know it's in the open and I already told him to tread carefully...very carefully...

He's an insecure lowlife and God doesn't like ugly...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 11:54:25 PM »
It's interesting that in order to try to win an argument you need to insult someone you don't know nothing about and lower your standards to try and make yourself look like the bigger person...

That is a sign of insecurity and an unstable upbringing... You ever hear the saying manners make it man? You lacked the necessary love and attention as a youth and now you're seeking it online as a form of validation.

You are striving to be someone and be of importance but only God can provide that, your shallowness and lack of confidence leads to these brazen and unwarranted attacks that are low and uncalled for because you don't have the intelligence to debate properly and any sign of defeat weighs heavy on your fragile ego...it can destroy your self confidence, you feel this constant need to prove yourself.

Instead you end up alienating yourself from people because as a child and young man you lacked tHat male role model to guide you.

You need help and counselling.. Prayer most importantly... If you don't you will find yourself in a lot of problems because of your psychological issues as being not only insecure but a non apologist.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:58:03 AM by Flex »

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 02:49:04 AM »
Bakes that is real low!! As for the trials, I genuinely don't think this is the right way to go about it. Players should respect the contract with the club they are signed to and use their brains, why trust a FAKE agent to help them?? Respectable European clubs would laugh this guy out of town.

Once again Bakes grow up and stop slingin insults when things get heated

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:05:51 AM by Flex »
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »

In pointing me back to this comment you reveal your own inability to appreciate that I brought you back here to confront you with the inherent contradictions in your stance: if you were not confident that the trials would yield any opportunities for the players, why are you "disappointed"?  The answer of course is that your issue isn't really about the players or the trial... it's about your personal animosity towards Sosa... as revealed by your irrational final

statement.

Coward.... Why did you edit your post, be brave and be a man, leave your comments, I wake up this am and the coward that you are you erase all your defamatory comments from last nite..

Word of advice to everyone.. When half baked posts anything make sure you quote what he said, because he goes back in and edits his posts and comes back on and lies about it.. This is the type of individual you are dealing with...

I believe bakes should be banned from this board permanently for the low comments made against FS..

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 07:33:51 AM »
Bakes that is real low!! As for the trials, I genuinely don't think this is the right way to go about it. Players should respect the contract with the club they are signed to and use their brains, why trust a FAKE agent to help them?? Respectable European clubs would laugh this guy out of town.

Once again Bakes grow up and stop slingin insults when things get heated

Don't know if I agree with this comment. If the Levi Garcia situation and the W Connection Genoa thing has shown us one thing is that big European clubs don't respect small foreign clubs. I'm more than certain that AZ found out about Garcia's situation before they signed him. This is why I'm conflicted about these trials, I'm a fan of FS and everything he's done for local football however I am a bigger fan of the national team. It seems like most players progress by playing overseas and training vs and playing vs superior opposition. Every player's goal should be to move to a bigger league. I remember when the Garcia situation happened FS said central had a 2 year plan to get Garcia to Mls or Europe,  but with Sosa's help Garcia basically expedited the process, and went in a couple months. This time next year he could be an established AZ player. So even if most players do not get through and only 1 or 2 of the squad make a move to a mid level European league I would deem this as a success. W CONNECTION is a good selling club with a good networking system yet besides the st Lucian and joevin their best players move to Vietnam, Finland and now Latin America. Therefore we must give Sosa some credit because he got Garcia signed and 2nd looks for Corbin and Hackshaw. I wish these players all the best.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 07:41:26 AM »
Excellent nuggets, Dynamite.

1]; } ?>