April 28, 2024, 08:23:38 PM

Author Topic: Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.  (Read 10635 times)

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »
I agree players want to play as high as possible, but if your under contract you cant just up and leave on the off chance
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 07:49:20 AM »
Has there been confirmation that they are under contract?

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »
im guessing some will still be contracted, I apologise if im wrong

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »
Bakes that is real low!! As for the trials, I genuinely don't think this is the right way to go about it. Players should respect the contract with the club they are signed to and use their brains, why trust a FAKE agent to help them?? Respectable European clubs would laugh this guy out of town.

Once again Bakes grow up and stop slingin insults when things get heated

Don't know if I agree with this comment. If the Levi Garcia situation and the W Connection Genoa thing has shown us one thing is that big European clubs don't respect small foreign clubs. I'm more than certain that AZ found out about Garcia's situation before they signed him. This is why I'm conflicted about these trials, I'm a fan of FS and everything he's done for local football however I am a bigger fan of the national team. It seems like most players progress by playing overseas and training vs and playing vs superior opposition. Every player's goal should be to move to a bigger league. I remember when the Garcia situation happened FS said central had a 2 year plan to get Garcia to Mls or Europe,  but with Sosa's help Garcia basically expedited the process, and went in a couple months. This time next year he could be an established AZ player. So even if most players do not get through and only 1 or 2 of the squad make a move to a mid level European league I would deem this as a success. W CONNECTION is a good selling club with a good networking system yet besides the st Lucian and joevin their best players move to Vietnam, Finland and now Latin America. Therefore we must give Sosa some credit because he got Garcia signed and 2nd looks for Corbin and Hackshaw. I wish these players all the best.

Levi is excellent. My concern has always been a case of too high too soon. I honestly hope he makes it, but I have seen examples up close in UK of young guys making the right and wrong moves. If you start too low, you'll quickly move up, but if you start too high, you tend to disappear. Look how they put Winchester into T2. I don't think he would have walked straight into Timbers, but  they've had a good look at him, he has settled into the routine and  hopefully they will make an offer in November.

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
Some of the players will play higher, but this could kill off some of the dreams if they don't make the grade. I have seen players turn their backs on the game because they haven't made it first time round. I just hope the lads know what they are doing, maybe a chat with their current clubs or even national team manager might persuade them to re think even if it's for a year to work on weaknesses etc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
I'm hearing that 3 players are stranded at the T&T Consulate in London after being abandoned at the airport with no ticket to Turkey. I believe they paid their own return fare to London and were supposed to be provided with a ticket to Turkey. Instead, they were left with some cash for food and no idea when they would be heading out to the trials.

The Consulate contacted the Minister of Sport to see if he could help, but as it's a commercial enterprise, the Ministry cannot pay for the players to fly to Turkey. However, the Minister is trying to find a way to help.

I don't have all of the details so don't read this as fact as yet.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:17:29 AM by Football supporter »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
Better not be 3 who "should" be in Toronto. :devil:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »

I think at least one of them is!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »

I think at least one of them is!!

Might be fundraising for 2 tickets then.  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »
they were left with some cash for food and no idea when they would be heading out to the trials.
I hope this is a rumor  ??? ??? ???

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »
they were left with some cash for food and no idea when they would be heading out to the trials.
I hope this is a rumor  ??? ??? ???

No its fact. Been talking with Dwight Quintero's aunt in New York. 

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
Ouchhhhhhhh

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »
I'm hearing that 3 players are stranded at the T&T Consulate in London after being abandoned at the airport with no ticket to Turkey. I believe they paid their own return fare to London and were supposed to be provided with a ticket to Turkey. Instead, they were left with some cash for food and no idea when they would be heading out to the trials.

The Consulate contacted the Minister of Sport to see if he could help, but as it's a commercial enterprise, the Ministry cannot pay for the players to fly to Turkey. However, the Minister is trying to find a way to help.

I don't have all of the details so don't read this as fact as yet.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It good...

And Dion Sosa showing he true colors.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sancho saves stranded football trialists; Quintero, Rochford stuck in London
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The Ministry of Sport was forced into a rescue operation today as two former Trinidad and Tobago national youth team players, Jean-Luc Rochford and Dwight Quintero, were among three footballers left alone in a hotel in London while their contingent moved on to trials in Turkey.

The third player, Keon Russell, is a former Caledonia AIA employee while Rochford and Quintero are both free agents but represented Central FC in Pro League action last season.

All three left Trinidad for Turkey with Dion Sosa, an unregistered local football agent, and close to a dozen other players.

However, once in London, Quintero, Rochford and Russell were allegedly informed that there was no plane ticket to take them on Turkey.

Eventually, they made their way to Trinidad and Tobago’s High Commission in London where a SOS was put through to Sport Minister Brent Sancho.

“I was contacted this morning by a lady named Keisha Rochford-Hawkins from the Consulate in London, who said that they had three players there who were stranded,” Sancho told Wired868. “I didn’t get the nitty gritty of the situation. But, from what I understand, a party left for London on a broken ticket to Turkey.

“Some of the members went on and these stayed waiting for help and they eventually contacted the consulate… So I am trying to assist.”

Wired868 tried to contact Sosa by What’s App and email but was unable to reach him.

By the end of the day, the Sport Ministry did book plane tickets from London to Turkey. But, in the confusion, they ended up a ticket short.

Nathalie Fournillier, Quintero’s aunt, said her nephew contacted her for help this morning. At the time, Quintero and Rochford were together but they could not find Russell and thought he had left them since he was supposedly familiar with London.

Fournillier convinced Sancho that there were only two players in need of help, only to discover later that Russell had resurfaced.

Sancho vowed to do all he can to get a ticket for Russell tomorrow. Eid festivities have apparently complicated travel to Turkey.

Fournillier explained that the contingent, led by Sosa, arrived in London on Thursday morning. However, Quintero, Rochford and Russell were allegedly told that, due to financial issues, there was no ticket to take them to Turkey and Sosa would go ahead with the other players and make the necessary arrangements from there.

The group of players are due to play three practice matches against European clubs, who are in their pre-season, with the hope of catching the eye and being signed or invited for formal trials.

Fournillier said each player was asked to pay $25,000 for airfare and accommodation, although most did not have the full amount and there were several fund-raising initiatives.

Quintero and Rochford, who roomed together, had not heard from Sosa as they neared the 11 am check-out time.

In Trinidad, Quintero’s mother and relatives were in tears.

“I had a lot of calls from my sisters this morning while I was at work,” said Fournillier, who lives in the United States, “and I got messages saying to call as soon as possible, so I got worried.

“When I called, I was told my nephew (Quintero) was left behind in London with two other players and Sosa and the others went ahead to Turkey.

“It took me a while to wrap my head around that because I felt it must have been a huge mistake.”

Quintero is a former National Under-20 striker and was on the current Under-23 squad, although he missed the Olympic qualifiers and 2015 Pan American Games due to the team’s managerial issues.

Rochford, who represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 2009 Under-20 and 2007 Under-17 World Youth Cups, contacted a relative who works at the High Commission in London and they made their way there for help.

That relative, Keisha Rochford-Hawkins, was able to pay for another night’s stay at a hotel for the players and give them other assistance.

Fournillier said she eventually got a phone call through to Sosa in Turkey and he allegedly admitted that he did not inform the players beforehand about their travel issues.

“He said he didn’t want to let the ticket issue interfere with the trip after they had (done so much work),” said Fournillier. “He asked me if I could work on sponsors to get them plane tickets for Turkey… He said there was still money tied up by sponsors and, once he got back into Trinidad, he would honour all debts.”

Sancho agreed to help.

The Sport Minister is a former chairman at Central FC, which employed Quintero and Rochford. However, neither player is under contract while the club is not entitled to any developmental fee for Rochford, since he has already passed his 23rd birthday.

Sancho, who was heavily criticised by Sosa during Levi Garcia’s transfer to Netherlands top flight club club AZ, said he was only interested in helping young players in a time of need.

“I’ve been in that situation before and it is not a nice feeling,” said Sancho, who was a former Scotland Premier League and England League One defender. “It happened when I left Ross County and an agent took me to a trial in Romania. And when I didn’t sign, they yanked my return ticket and I was stranded for a couple of days…

“I am not involved with Central with my new portfolio. But these are young men in a jam and guys I know… So I cannot just leave them there.”

Fournillier said she and Rochford’s mother did their best to lift the boys’ spirits and get them in the right frame of mind for what lies ahead.

“I told them that God never lets adversity affect his children unless he knows something good is going to come out of it,” said Fournillier. “They must not be disheartened and they have to forge forward and finish what they started by any means necessary. Whatever drama plays out, keep your eyes on the prize.

“Jean-Luc’s mom also sent them a very inspirational message… They were a bit fearful at one point but they are in really good spirits now.

“They want to say ‘thank you’ to Brent (Sancho) for reaching out to help them.”

Despite the chaos, Sancho commended Sosa for his efforts in trying to find professional deals for local players in Europe.

“I applaud the efforts of Sosa and company for trying to find greener pastures for our players,” said Sancho, “although he obviously fell short in his attempts.”

Dion Sosa’s trialists: Raheem Belgrave, Curtis Gonzales, Dario Holmes, Weslie John, Jelani Peters, Keon Russell, Jamel Farrell, Leon Whyle, Leston Paul, Jean-Luc Rochford, Duane Muckette, Keane McIvor, Xavier Rajpaul, Micah Lewis, Qian Grosvenor, Phillip Borde, Dwight Quintero and Brent Sam.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:32:06 AM by Tallman »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
this is terrible

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
So sorry these youths have to go through this shit
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »
Quintero, Holmes and Rajpaul are all members of Trinidad and Tobago’s 2015 Pan American squad, which is in action against Uruguay, Paraguay and Mexico on July 13, July 17 and July 21 in Toronto.

Sosa said the players will leave Toronto immediately after their last group match and head for Turkey.

Then the incident in Puerto Rico should serve us well then. Because if three players leave an 18 man squad, where does that place us? Need I mention that one of the 18 is the reserve or alternating GK?

Clearly someone has calculated that we won't be progressing out of the group! And, if players on NT duty are of that mindset, then we are well and truly inseminated.

I woulda drop them immediately.

This is why foreign based players even de ones in Colleges will always be better options.

Locals just looking for food and nothing more.

Nobody eh saying they cant go for trials, but they couldn't go a little later?

Sosa have to be a real jackass in true and should be a father figure to these players but instead he looking for money to put in his pocket and not seeking the best for these kids.

If it's any comfort to them, there will be scouts at Pan Ams.

I was thinking the same thing --- there will be scouts at the Pan Am games.  So I cannot understand the mentality of 'preparing' to leave the Games right after the Group phase.  That sends a dubious message right there.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stranded T&T footballers: We still don’t know what happened
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The road to fame and fortune for Trinidad and Tobago footballers Jean-Luc Rochford, Dwight Quintero and Keon Russell took an unexpected detour in London.

The three players were part of a 10-member contingent, led by scout and unlicensed agent Dion Sosa, that left the Piarco International Airport on Wednesday for trials in Turkey. But they only made it as far as the United Kingdom.

Sport Minister Brent Sancho responded to a plea for assistance for the three young men today but, due to an error in the formal request, tickets were only sourced for Rochford and Quintero.

Ironically, Russell, a 24-year-old former Caledonia AIA midfielder and El Dorado West Secondary student, was one of the few players who paid for a plane ticket from London to Istanbul. Still, he was left behind.

Wired868 caught up with the three young men at the Park Inn Hotel in London, as they discussed their fates.

The 24-year-old Rochford, who represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 2007 Under-17 and 2009 Under-20 World Youth Cups, said they were told at Piarco that tickets were still needed for the London to Istanbul leg. But he trusted that Sosa had everything in control.

“He said six tickets were waiting for us from Heathrow to Istanbul,” said Rochford. “And he said when we (got there), he would organise the rest.”

In most cases, the agent or club pays for the trialists’ airfare and accommodation. But, in this instance, Sosa allegedly asked players to pay TT$25,000 each.

Most of the players did not raise the full figure and Sosa tried desperately to source funds before their departure.

Once the contingent landed in London, Sosa allegedly asked the players to pool resources to see if there was enough to take them forward to Turkey.

Russell had travelled with 600 Euros in case of contingencies and handed it over to Sosa. Somehow, he still ended up left behind.

“I am still trying to understand what went wrong,” Russell told Wired868. “I had money for my ticket to Turkey… The (return) tickets came up to 592 Euros for each player, so I said okay and I gave him my 600 Euros.

“But he said we fell short, so I told him to keep my money and use it for us to come across one-way to Istanbul instead.”

Sosa left with four players and promised to book tickets for the remaining six to join them on Friday morning.

Rochford spoke to Sosa on Thursday evening.

“He said he was organising to get the money up from Trinidad to buy the tickets,” said Rochford.

That was the last the players heard from him. On Friday morning, Leston Paul, who was Rochford’s captain on both World Youth Cups, as well as Point Fortin Civic defender Weslie John and ex-St Anthony’s College utility player Leon Whyle were sent tickets and they left.

“I heard three players got tickets but I wasn’t one of them,” said Russell.

As it neared time for the players to check out of their hotel, Rochford remembered his father, Timothy Rochford, had a cousin, Keisha Rochford-Hawkins, who worked at the High Commission in London.

They had never met before but Rochford made contact. And she was able to book another hotel for the trio and contacted the Sport Ministry on their behalf.

“Everything happens for a reason yes,” Rochford told Wired868. “Maybe it is a test to see how strong I am mentally. We are praying all the time and talking and making plans.

“We put up to buy meals and we are trying to eat properly. We got stuff to eat from my father’s cousin as well. We are dealing with this as a group.”

The group will split up in a few hours, though. Quintero, who is 21 and was a member of the current National Under-23 Team, and Rochford both leave in the morning.

The three young men chatted through the night to pass the time. Rochford and Quintero do not want to leave their new comrade behind but Russell insisted he would be okay.

The players still hope that, once they get to Turkey, they can salvage their trial and catch the eye of waiting scouts. They feel closer to their dream of becoming football stars than ever before.

“Every setback is a setup for a major comeback,” said Russell. “We are just here chilling and talking and staying positive and hopeful. God is still in control.”

Thus far, Wired868 has been unable to reach Sosa for comment.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:21:04 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »
I was thinking the same thing --- there will be scouts at the Pan Am games.  So I cannot understand the mentality of 'preparing' to leave the Games right after the Group phase.  That sends a dubious message right there.

OustsideMan, I was saying the same damn thing. They should have gone on their tryouts and forget the PanAm games. After such a showing I wonder if any of the scouts would be interested. Part of your mind in TO, the other part in Turkey.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let's hope there's a trial.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Disgraceful amateur - those sounding caution in the forums last week are looking pretty sage now.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2015, 07:53:35 AM »
There are normally two sides to every story, but this doesnt sound to good on Sosa's behalf.

Sorry that these three players have to go through this at this stage.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
A mixed bag of emotions, mostly unfavourable:
1. Happy in a way to see the aggressive proactive attitudes to getting out there on the shop window, but ...
2. Sickened by the seemingly exploitative tactics of the mercenary recruiters who prey on hungry little people ... from their own land.
3. Hurt by the frightening abondonment of youngsters made suddenly vulnerable in a strange land, trust betrayed.
4. Angry that these Mediterranean-like raft smugglers would want to go behind coaches backs and let the players drown and abandon them as the ship capsizes, and take their money, snacks and life-jacket to boot.
Heartbreaking, worthy of PTSD counselling for these players.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1. Happy in a way to see the aggressive proactive attitudes to getting out there on the shop window, but ...
2. Sickened by the seemingly exploitative tactics of the mercenary recruiters who prey on hungry little people ... from their own land.
3. Hurt by the frightening abondonment of youngsters made suddenly vulnerable in a strange land, trust betrayed.
4. Angry that these Mediterranean-like raft smugglers would want to go behind coaches backs and let the players drown and abandon them as the ship capsizes, and take their money, snacks and life-jacket to boot.

ent..why ppl like to do this to folks trying to make a positive step in life...it reminds me of the rackets in the 90s with ppl who would take monies from poor ppl under the pretense of going to "check out colleges in the US"  >:(

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Not sure where this comes from Mediterranean-like raft smugglers ?  Also, these are not young teenagers, they are big men. Yes, it's not good how this happened, but they are in a (reasonably) civilised country that speaks the same language as them. Quintero and Rochford have both traveled overseas before. It wouldn't  be a pleasant experience, but it's not exactly a sequel to Home Alone!!

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I for one respect the men for trying to progress, but on the other hand it seems like fake agent Sosa has only made money from peoples dreams.
When I heard of the situation I offered to put the lads up at my house in if it was needed as I felt they deserve better.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:07:06 PM by gb8702 »

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
In light of this recent development with some of our citizens happening abroad, where is the TTFA's response on this situation going forward? In regards to football players seeking to ply their trade abroad, relying on good faith and the promise of riches from shady characters willing to exploit their stupidity, lack of knowledge, and naivete, checks and balances have to be implemented. After all, didn't any of these individuals know anything of Jack Warner and his promises? The TTFF and the TTFA by extension, has been promising to deliver to change the atmosphere of distrust and disbelief in them but have failed miserably time and time again. It is the most promising football federation on the planet. This was another one of those lost opportunities to step forward to begin the journey on the road to repairing that distrust and once again they have to decided to pass the buck onto someone else in the face of adversity. This is the hallmark of this Tim Tee led federation. It is "When the going gets tough, we don't take credit for it nor do we step up, front and center, to the plate. But when everything is going good that's when we hold a press conference. It is the Jack Warner way. I am my own man, and I endorse this messge." How can any football player of any age, sex, creed and race find an equal place based on a promise to do? The ignorance level on the part of football players, male and female, coming out of Trinidad and Tobago is staggering. Forrest Gump said it best. "Stupid is as stupid does"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:32:15 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
I'm just ciriou
Bakes that is real low!! As for the trials, I genuinely don't think this is the right way to go about it. Players should respect the contract with the club they are signed to and use their brains, why trust a FAKE agent to help them?? Respectable European clubs would laugh this guy out of town.

Once again Bakes grow up and stop slingin insults when things get heated

Don't know if I agree with this comment. If the Levi Garcia situation and the W Connection Genoa thing has shown us one thing is that big European clubs don't respect small foreign clubs. I'm more than certain that AZ found out about Garcia's situation before they signed him. This is why I'm conflicted about these trials, I'm a fan of FS and everything he's done for local football however I am a bigger fan of the national team. It seems like most players progress by playing overseas and training vs and playing vs superior opposition. Every player's goal should be to move to a bigger league. I remember when the Garcia situation happened FS said central had a 2 year plan to get Garcia to Mls or Europe,  but with Sosa's help Garcia basically expedited the process, and went in a couple months. This time next year he could be an established AZ player. So even if most players do not get through and only 1 or 2 of the squad make a move to a mid level European league I would deem this as a success. W CONNECTION is a good selling club with a good networking system yet besides the st Lucian and joevin their best players move to Vietnam, Finland and now Latin America. Therefore we must give Sosa some credit because he got Garcia signed and 2nd looks for Corbin and Hackshaw. I wish these players all the best.

Throughout this whole story, what stands out everytime is the line "unregistered agent...."
It simply does not look good.

What's the process to becoming a registered agent ?
It seems like Sosa has developed these relationships abroad, why not step it up and take it more seriously?

Awaiting a response from his side as to what really went on with the guys stranded in London

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
How Sancho save them Lasana?

With who money, his own?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Deese, right now, the TTFA is so tangled up in trying  to function properly, they can't even deal with issues like that. They can't even send a ticket for those guys to come back home. You would expect as the governing body, they would have ,and enforce rules on these kind of matters. Maybe they have rules, but is in no position to enforce it. If there was a players association, they and the TTFA could have worked together on issues like this.

But these guys are big men. They took their hard earned or family money to pursue their dreams. They know the situation with the TTFA, they should have asked other senior players who have experience about the agents who deal with these matters. Did their clubs endorsed this venture? Did they pursue this endeavour behind the clubs back?

1]; } ?>