April 28, 2024, 07:27:53 PM

Author Topic: Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.  (Read 10632 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What.. so wait any Trini footballer could try ah ting and pick up and afford a ticket to say trials in New York, but ticket only for Florida, USA and as the ticket only reach Florida and they stranded, is up to TTFA or T&T to forward them on to New York  and/or bring them back home? serious ? We musbe have the most convincing Aunties in the world. I know my family would have told me don't go or send a ticket to come back home, and we taking it up with Sosa, all this could only be on a private & personal level. How this come a National football calamity is beyond me. That is just plain dotishness, maybe the boys shoulda pay a little more attention in sociology & economics class, and not just football academy. I dream of success & riches, I gamble my savings and have faith allyuh go bail me out.  :o

nah..i must be misunderstand...let me read it again
ps: ppl know what vex money is ?
ok..reread, adjusted my post

ah tryin to get a flight to Jersey this evening..doh have a tkt to get back home yet, where's the TT consulate at ? just in case
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:56:14 AM by maxg »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraiser for Europe-bound trialists; 18 T&T players try their luck.
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2015, 04:20:43 AM »
I'm just ciriou
Bakes that is real low!! As for the trials, I genuinely don't think this is the right way to go about it. Players should respect the contract with the club they are signed to and use their brains, why trust a FAKE agent to help them?? Respectable European clubs would laugh this guy out of town.

Once again Bakes grow up and stop slingin insults when things get heated

Don't know if I agree with this comment. If the Levi Garcia situation and the W Connection Genoa thing has shown us one thing is that big European clubs don't respect small foreign clubs. I'm more than certain that AZ found out about Garcia's situation before they signed him. This is why I'm conflicted about these trials, I'm a fan of FS and everything he's done for local football however I am a bigger fan of the national team. It seems like most players progress by playing overseas and training vs and playing vs superior opposition. Every player's goal should be to move to a bigger league. I remember when the Garcia situation happened FS said central had a 2 year plan to get Garcia to Mls or Europe,  but with Sosa's help Garcia basically expedited the process, and went in a couple months. This time next year he could be an established AZ player. So even if most players do not get through and only 1 or 2 of the squad make a move to a mid level European league I would deem this as a success. W CONNECTION is a good selling club with a good networking system yet besides the st Lucian and joevin their best players move to Vietnam, Finland and now Latin America. Therefore we must give Sosa some credit because he got Garcia signed and 2nd looks for Corbin and Hackshaw. I wish these players all the best.

Throughout this whole story, what stands out everytime is the line "unregistered agent...."
It simply does not look good.

What's the process to becoming a registered agent ?
It seems like Sosa has developed these relationships abroad, why not step it up and take it more seriously?

Awaiting a response from his side as to what really went on with the guys stranded in London

To get registered you need to pass a test on FIFA's transfer rules and regulations, and some related legal stuff I think.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 07:29:43 AM »
I know that the agents licence in the UK is now very tough. It includes lots of questions about taxation, including benefits in kind.

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
As well as the tests and regulations you have to have a  professional indemnity insurance, it used to be £50,000 bond to protect yourself from  claims from third parties
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
I know that the agents licence in the UK is now very tough. It includes lots of questions about taxation, including benefits in kind.

That's right - you need FA-specific information, so if you apply in Trinidad you need to know the relevant legislation for Trinidad, which would include the taxation etc.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »
Playing for their futures: the tournament giving unemployed footballers a lifeline
By Nick Ames (The Guardian, UK)

Around 60 out-of-contract players, including the former Chelsea midfielder Jiri Jarosik, competed in the finals of the Fifpro Tournament in the Netherlands in the hope of finding a club for the new season

Team CAFH from the Czech Republic won the Fifpro Tournament with a squad that included the former Norwich striker David Strihavka as well as Jiri Jarosik.

“The last thing I said to them was: ‘Please, no accidents. Whatever you do, just don’t get injured.’” Marketa Haindlova is watching France snap into a tentative Czech Republic team and things will get worse before they improve. Eight minutes into the second half, the French defender Clevid Dikamona launches into a gruesome tackle on right-winger Daniel Vesely and is unceremoniously sent off. Vesely writhes in pain and Haindlova, the president of the Czech Association of Football Players, is swiftly to her feet, taut with concern. The margins are too thin here for anything but a swift recovery; the consequences of a long-term lay-off bear no imagining.

Vesely does recover and the Czechs proceed to win 3-1. The collective achievement is impressive but the ramifications of what occurs here in Rijnsburg, half an hour south-west of Amsterdam, will be felt entirely by the individuals competing in front of a handful of scouts and curious locals. Around 60 of them are in the semi-finals of the annual Fifpro Tournament, run by the world players’ union, which has been played on a knockout basis over the summer between teams representing 18 European countries. All are footballers by profession and each has his own story: a handful have been to the very top; most would simply like a guaranteed monthly wage. The one thing all have in common is that they are unemployed.

“It’s an opportunity to feel like a footballer again,” says Cristóbal Márquez, a former Villarreal midfielder who has travelled to the Netherlands with the Spanish Footballers’ Association (AFE) squad. Cristóbal spent a year out of the game during a contractual dispute with the Ukrainian side Karpaty Lviv. He won his claim but has since struggled to rebuild his career during spells in New Zealand, Greece and Indonesia.

Team AFE watch with the coaches hoping they will get a chance to come off the bench and show what they can do

“If you have time out and clubs cannot see you play, you are easily forgotten. Here, they can see that you still know how to do it – that you still have something valuable to offer.”

AFE is peerless in the depth of its provision for out-of-contract footballers. Its squad are refreshed constantly: an entirely different set of players and staff will contest a series of friendlies against Segunda División opponents over the next two weeks, and the fact 64 of the last 70 players selected before the Fifpro Tournament found employers points to its surfeit of available talent as well. All of its players have been offered to Indian Super League clubs before the new season in October and half a dozen could make the journey. Whether or not their future is already mapped out, a long run here is an exercise in maintaining fitness and discipline.

“You can see the change since we started the tournament in 2005,” says Tijs Tummers, Fifpro’s head of player services. “It used to be that a player would be taken on trial by a club but had gained a few kilograms over the summer. We were told: ‘Sorry, we couldn’t judge him because he wasn’t fully fit’ so many times. Now, if you join one of these squads for training, you’ll be fit and ready to go for whoever wants you. If they pick you, you come for a week, maybe more, of intensive work and it’s a big advantage. The fact you have played here shows that you are fit, ambitious and have a good attitude.”

The Spain coach, Óscar Arpón – for whom this is an equally important shop window – concurs: “This is easier than coaching players at a club. The players are all motivated, expectant and desperate to be here.”

Fifpro points out the cart cannot precede the horse. Players’ unions are invited to participate in the tournament only when their domestic services are deemed sufficient.

“We love the tournament but really this is about providing services for your unemployed players on a wider level,” Tummers says. “We tell countries to set these services up at home, organise matches and training camps and show us what they’ve done. Then, as an extra, you can have a place here.”

That was the reward given to the Czechs, whose players’ union is only four years old, this time around and their debut had taken in victories over Romania, Portugal and Switzerland before the finals weekend in Rijnsburg. Their squad are perhaps the most mixed of the four involved and as well as the former Norwich striker David Strihavka, who captains the side, they include the former Chelsea and Celtic midfielder Jiri Jarosik – who is 37 and most recently played for Alavés.

“He met the guys by coincidence when they were travelling on the plane to Lisbon for the Portugal game earlier this month,” Haindlova says. “They had a chat and he said: ‘OK, I don’t have a club at the moment so I’d love to come with you for a couple of weeks.’

A Czech player, right, is challenged by an opponent from France’s Team UNFP in a tournament where injury can be catastrophic.

“It is really positive for the guys to play alongside him. Most of them – I’d say 90% – have had problems with clubs not paying them on time, which has contributed to their being here. But I think about half of them already have offers, and from my experience most of them will find a club.”

Playing alongside the occasional big name can add conviction to the quests of players who, much as they may not show it, have often had their pride hurt. “Luís Boa Morte played here for Portugal once and his influence was interesting,” Tummers says. “It was a case of: ‘If he’s doing it then we don’t have to be ashamed either.’”

Jarosik plays in central defence during the Czechs’ win against a France team who include the former Charlton and Portsmouth midfielder Therry Racon and, playing against his home country, the former Southampton and Brest midfielder Mario Licka. The standard is mixed, perhaps reflecting that former top-flight players are consorting with players of far lesser standing. Jiri Kabele, a Czech midfielder whose most recent football has been in his country’s third tier, is one of the more impressive performers but is among those who feel this is their last chance to make a living from the sport.

“I’ve made some mistakes with my decisions about joining clubs in the past, and here we are,” says Kabele, who has also played in Hungary, Slovakia and India. “I’m 28 now so if I don’t get a club I’ll find some work, maybe as an engineer or for my sister’s business, and play part-time. But I’m open to anything. I’m not out of hope – I’ve had a good career and after being together with this squad for five weeks now I feel ready.

“Many of us didn’t really know each other but we have all come together and it’s a really positive atmosphere. You cannot cry, sit in the corner or wait for something. You need to show the best of yourself and have faith. The players are positive and joking in the dressing room; nobody is sad.”

The stands are not packed with trenchcoated figures scribbling into notebooks but no one is shouting into a void. While scouts from the Dutch clubs Heerenveen and RKC Waalwijk are present, along with a couple of representatives from German clubs, information will be more widely disseminated by Scout7, a Birmingham-based company which has sent two employees to feed the week’s events into its online recruiting tool used by a client base of around 150 clubs. Nowadays, a piece of brilliance produced in this tiny arena can fly into inboxes worldwide within hours.

The Team UNFP dressing room is a nervous place as the French players hope a moment of brilliance will alert the world to their skills.

Strihavka, who scores the Czechs’ third goal against France with a smart backheel and leads the line exceptionally, is 32 and admits his last move – to Racing Beirut in Lebanon – was “for the money”. He says he has five or six offers on the table, and later elaborates he is likely to accept one from an upwardly mobile Italian club but has postponed negotiations in order to see the Fifpro Tournament through.

“I said to all of them that I want to finish this project first,” he says. “I’m motivated to show the young guys that we can achieve something quite unusual. It’s a new project for our footballers and an important one to set an example in. I’m happy with the offers I have but I want to help the others get what they deserve too.”

The Czechs stay to watch the AFE team, inspired by the former Real Oviedo forward Nacho Rodríguez and the 34-year-old Carlos Martínez, beat Poland 4-0 and confirm their place in the final. Later, in the hotel where all four teams are staying, they joke with the defeated Licka, who trained with them for two weeks before honouring a promise to join the French and whose father, Werner – by coincidence – coaches the team. “You really want to play with those guys now?” comes a shout. “Put me in the team for the final if you want,” is the response.

They will not need him, ending Spain’s attempt to retain the trophy two days later with a penalty shootout win that owes much to an injury-time equaliser from Jarosik.

Their victory – in a tournament whose format, expanded to celebrate Fifpro’s 50th anniversary, is likely to alter next year – is a remarkable one in its context and testament to a squad whose visible unity belies their short life.

Perhaps the Professional Footballers’ Association, which entered a young team in 2005 but has pursued its own support structures since, might look again at the benefits this kind of competition brings, although English players’ financial expectations would render them off-radar to most scouts from lower-profile foreign leagues. In the end, the tournament’s bottom line is to provide tangible and realistic benefits for those who need them.

“If a 22-year-old footballer comes here and is still a professional player 10 years later, then the Fifpro Tournament has done its job,” Tummers says. “That is the real success for us.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
Shouldn't we have some feedback by now regarding the fruits of this venture? In this case no news is not good news. Updates welcomed.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »
Shouldn't we have some feedback by now regarding the fruits of this venture? In this case no news is not good news. Updates welcomed.

Paul did not play for Central in againt the L. A.Galaxy in CCL. Barring an injury it could be he is on the way to securing a contract
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »

Paul did not play for Central in againt the L. A.Galaxy in CCL. Barring an injury it could be he is on the way to securing a contract

Paul is out of contract
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
Yes, what about Leston in truth ?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »

Paul is out of contract

i hope he gets something abroad soon
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »
Lasana, you started this ... wrap it up fuh we nah. Or yuh saving a big lash for a slow news day? Bring de ting full circle.

1]; } ?>