March 28, 2024, 04:38:03 AM

Author Topic: Gov’t negotiates Gold Cup feed; Sancho, TTFA discuss Pan Am bacchanal  (Read 5533 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gov’t negotiates Gold Cup feed; Sancho, TTFA discuss Pan Am bacchanal
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Sport Minister Brent Sancho revealed today that the Government hopes to acquire live feeds for the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup in time for Trinidad and Tobago’s opening match against Guatemala on Thursday July 9.

Sancho, a former 2005 Gold Cup and 2006 World Cup player, promised, earlier in his tenure, to allow the Trinidad and Tobago public to see their sport teams in action on local television. And he hopes to start with the Gold Cup.

“I am still talking to the different parties and we know there is interest from different (corporate companies),” Sancho told Wired868. “We would like to make sure the public can see these games live so we are working on making it a reality. It is of high importance that we work out a reasonable deal to have it shown.

“And not just football, we want to get most of our sport shown in Trinidad (and Tobago) so our public can see what our national teams are doing.

“I think it gives our athletes and sports a good market to hopefully inveigle corporate sponsorship. And it transcends down to the young ones who can see their heroes perform on the world stage.”

But it was a rare spot of good news for football as disharmony between the Sport Ministry and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) again affected the preparation of its national teams.

Yesterday, the Trinidad and Tobago National Women’s Senior Team and National Men’s Under-23 Team both left for the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games, which officially starts on July 10.

But it was a matter of problems postponed rather than solved as the TTFA and Sport Ministry remain at loggerheads over match fees promised to footballers while mismanagement and distrust continues to hamper the respective teams.

Key to the current rift, which led to a threatened boycott by the “Women Soca Warriors”, was match fees of US$500 per game that was promised to both teams.

But, as the two teams prepared to depart, the TTFA could only assure the players of US$600 each for the entire three week competition.

It prompted a furious social media response from star attacker Kennya “Yaya” Cordner and a threatened boycott from her teammates.

TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips described the episode as a misunderstanding and suggested that the Women Warriors erroneously thought they were not due match fees.

“There were some players who thought that was it,” Phillips told Wired868, “and we said that is what we would be able to source (at the moment).”

It took an assurance from the Sport Minister to team captain Maylee Attin-Johnson to placate the women.

“My first concern was making sure we got them on the plane,” said Sancho. “Sheldon apparently told the girls not to go on the plane and wait for us to meet to sort it out, which didn’t make sense because they would have missed their flight…

“I said to get on the plane and we will sort it out.”

Phillips retorted that his suggestion was for a morning meeting, which would not have jeopardised the team’s travel plans.

More importantly though, Sancho’s promise did not necessarily address the issue since, according to the Sport Minister, he did not agree to any specific sum.

“First, we have to get a full scope of what is happening,” said Sancho. “We have to sit with a representative of the TTFA… We don’t know if we can meet their demands.

“We have to make sure the taxpayers’ dollars are used appropriately.”

TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee reiterated that the players only hope for match fees lay with the Government.

“Yes, the match fees will come down to the (Sport) Ministry,” said Tim Kee.

Both sides lay bare their misgivings about the other party and there was a hint that, even if the Pan American teams receive their due, future national football teams might suffer for the TTFA’s perceived brinksmanship.

“I am drawing the line in the sand,” said Sancho, who suggested that the TTFA was less than forthright about its true financial situation. “This is it (and) it is going to have a ripple effect on the other teams. We want to try our best to make the athletes happy but this is a song that has been playing for donkey years…

“If one party is seemingly not operating in the most honest way, then we have a problem.”

Sancho claimed the TTFA was due a CONCACAF payment of US$100,000, which was meant to prepare the National Senior Men’s Team for the 2015 Gold Cup. But, he said, the sum had not been mentioned in multiple discussions between the two parties.

“They told us that they only had $13,000 (TT) in their account so they couldn’t pay for visas for the Under-23 Team,” said Sancho “but one of the challenges we have is gauging what they have and what they don’t have because we got information that they received $100,000 US from CONCACAF.

“Then, when they knew we were aware of it, they said they would get the money at the end of July. Then, when we asked why preparatory money would only be available after the tournament, they came back and said they would get it by the end of the week.

“It is hard to keep up with the stories.”

Tim Kee countered that the CONCACAF payment had been affected by chaos enveloping the governing body, whose president Jeffrey Webb is fighting an extradition request by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ).

He claimed the preparation funding would usually be available to teams before the Gold Cup but that was not the case on this occasion. The TTFA, he said, made a special request for some funds before the competition.

“When these things happened in Zurich the other day, there was a lot of panic in CONCACAF and people being sent home and so on,” said Tim Kee. “We applied to CONCACAF for some of that money as a loan and that is where we got $330,000 US from…

“They limited the maximum we could get to one third and that is compromising their own laws because they are very strict about (associations) getting something for one purpose and using it for something else.

“But they are fully aware of the challenges we face and they have compromised…”

Sancho insisted that the TTFA never submitted a specific request for match fees for its Pan American Teams.

“The TTFA submitted budgets for about 10 different teams when we first met,” said Sancho. “Since then, we have met with (TTFA official William) Wallace and Sheldon (Phillips), Wallace and (Senior Team coach Stephen) Hart, Wallace alone, Wallace and Tim Kee…

“Every time they came in, they were asking for different things. First, it would be flights, then flights and hotels, then a game was on and then off.

“These are the kind of things we have to deal with… They sent in an overall budget for all the teams but the cases change over time.

“They have to have specific requests for specific teams to access money. And from my knowledge, we didn’t have anything specific for the women’s team.”

Tim Kee conceded that the TTFA did not make an official request for the Women Warriors. However, Phillips suggested that the Sport Ministry was partly culpable for the budget changes referenced by the Minister.

“The adjustments in the budget are based on the continual shift in what we were told we had access to,” said Phillips. “It is very difficult to plan when this is happening. We are trying to create revenue streams that will lessen that dependence but that will take some time…

“The latest narrative we are getting from the Sport Ministry is NGOs don’t get their full subvention. So you present us with what we are authorised to get and we do our budget based on what you gave to us. And then at the eleventh hour, you tell us NGOs don’t get their full subvention…

“It has been an ongoing conversation and we will continue to sit with the (Sport Ministry) to sort things out.”

The overriding issue, of course, is the TTFA’s failure to raise money to fund its own teams.

“They have to take a long hard look at themselves and how they raise money,” said Sancho. “To sit down and wait for taxpayers’ money is ludicrous. We have lots of other sporting bodies who don’t have FIFA and CONCACAF money and they make it work and raise their own money.

“They need to tailor their plans according to the money they have. The Government is supposed to assist with a shortfall (so) if you have money coming in, then you use it.

“Cricket and everyone else seems to manage without issue or find ways of getting round their shortfalls. This is the only body we have this problem with.”

Just over a month ago, the TTFA requested match fees of US$1,000 for the Under-23 Men’s Team. The Sport Ministry retorted that it would pay no more than half the match fees requested for all national football teams.

So, the TTFA promised the Under-23 Men’s Team US$500 match fees instead. But an agreement was not reached with the Sport Ministry.

The Women Warriors then threatened to boycott the Pan Am competition unless they received equal pay with the Under-23 Men’s Team.

So now both teams have promises with no guarantor. And the TTFA and Sport Ministry continue to glare at each other with distrust and apprehension.

Sancho accused the TTFA of trying to hold the Sport Ministry over a barrel.

“It seems like we are always outing fires before we could even enter into negotiations with them,” said Sancho. “Because they agree match fees and stipends (with their players) and then throw them at us. I don’t know what the final arrangement was for the (TTFA) and the (Pan Am) players so there is a lot to happen before we get to (the promise to the Women Warriors).

“The main thing is I didn’t want an embarrassment to the country… The (TTFA) made it abundantly clear that they will be getting money from CONCACAF.

“So we will see how that goes and take it from there.”

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:35:34 AM by Flex »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sancho more than make time to respond to this request for comment boy... in fact he might as well have written the article himself.

As for the TV rights... there's that small matter of the Ministry of Sports not having the authority to negotiate rights which it does not own, but why let facts get in the way of a good self-congratulatory pat on the back.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
I will well glad for the link to the game organized by the ministry of sports.
Right through is:"TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee reiterated that the players only hope for match fees lay with the Government."
so what is the function of the ttff? why they don't resign and get the fork out?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sancho more than make time to respond to this request for comment boy... in fact he might as well have written the article himself.

As for the TV rights... there's that small matter of the Ministry of Sports not having the authority to negotiate rights which it does not own, but why let facts get in the way of a good self-congratulatory pat on the back.

So, out of the whole article, that's the only point of interest? Instead of TTFA negotiating with sponsors to get the games shown, Sancho is reaching out and you're talking about authority? Hell, who has more moral right to get taxpayers acess to the teams THEY have funded? Nobody anywhere has claimed MoS want the TV dollars. But I know you'll want to keep arguing about this instead of the real issues contained in this article.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Its surprising that he made time to answer to Lasana but totally ignored the SWO.

I guess he was not fund of my questions.

;D

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Its surprising that he made time to answer to Lasana but totally ignored the SWO.

;D

I think there is a difference between answering a set of written questions and answering the phone.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

You're a hypocrite.. Why isn't Tim kee making sure the nation sees the game?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So, out of the whole article, that's the only point of interest? Instead of TTFA negotiating with sponsors to get the games shown, Sancho is reaching out and you're talking about authority? Hell, who has more moral right to get taxpayers acess to the teams THEY have funded? Nobody anywhere has claimed MoS want the TV dollars. But I know you'll want to keep arguing about this instead of the real issues contained in this article.

I'm sorry... am I supposed to be posting for your enjoyment and benefit?  Maybe I should PM you drafts of my posts before I submit them?

Sport Minister Brent Sancho revealed today that the Government hopes to acquire live feeds for the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup in time for Trinidad and Tobago’s opening match against Guatemala on Thursday July 9.

This implies more than just "reaching out"... it implies grandstanding.  A Super Cat line from "Ghetto Red Hot" comes to mind.  Whether the MoS "wants the money" or not is besides the point... the Ministry cannot "acquire" any TV rights or live feeds.  Maybe he misspoke, lol.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I'm sorry... am I supposed to be posting for your enjoyment and benefit?  Maybe I should PM you drafts of my posts before I submit them?

This implies more than just "reaching out"... it implies grandstanding.  A Super Cat line from "Ghetto Red Hot" comes to mind.  Whether the MoS "wants the money" or not is besides the point... the Ministry cannot "acquire" any TV rights or live feeds.  Maybe he misspoke, lol.

Maybe he plans to sneak into the TTFA office and steal them. Is that your next comment? I believe the rights are owned and available to the highest bidder? So if Sancho can put together a corporate package to "acquire" them, what's the problem? Isn't that a constructive aim for the taxpayers who are funding the campaign?

Actually, I am enjoying your posts....it's funny watching you trying to deflect attention from your pals at TTFA. Just change your name to "Blame Sancho"   

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maybe he plans to sneak into the TTFA office and steal them. Is that your next comment? I believe the rights are owned and available to the highest bidder? So if Sancho can put together a corporate package to "acquire" them, what's the problem? Isn't that a constructive aim for the taxpayers who are funding the campaign?

Actually, I am enjoying your posts....it's funny watching you trying to deflect attention from your pals at TTFA. Just change your name to "Blame Sancho"   

I'm really not bothered by your attempts to discredit my posts, as stated before you're an empty suit.  Slowly but surely both you and your handler are being found out.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Article 13, par. 1 and article 17, par. 1 of the FIFA Statutes oblige member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence from third parties
So let me wonder aloud since the lines are becoming blurry... almost seems as if Sanko has some intent to have the TTFA banned and maybe form a new federation

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ministry of Sport and TTFA on money collision course again
By Rhondor Dowlat (Guardian).

The Ministry of Sport has exhausted all its funding for football and is expected to make a request to Concacaf to divert part of its US$100,000 grant to the women’s team and the Under 17 and Under 20 tournaments for 2015.

As it looks now, both women soca warriors teams may not make it for their respective upcoming tournaments happening later in the year.

On Friday, the Ministry of Sport was expected to send a correspondence on the matter to Concacaf.

Officials at the Ministry of Sport and Sport Company of TT (SporTT) said they have questions for the TT Football Federation (TTFF) to answer concerning the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup funding and the use of taxpayers money from the Ministry for the tournament, which is being held at Soldier Field in Chicago, USA, starting tomorrow.

According to a previous T&T Guardian article, on June 11, 2015, the TTFA collected a cheque for TT$133,000 from the Ministry of Sports. Initially the ministry was allegedly informed by the TTFA that they didn’t have funds to send the senior men’s team to overnight in London before heading off to Jordan for one of its warm-up matches which is part of the team’s Gold Cup preparations.

The Concacaf grant, according to sources in the Ministry of Sport, which is due at the end of this month, includes an allocation for the senior men’s team travel, from Trinidad to their first point of entry into the US. Since, the funding was not yet available, the Ministry was asked to cover the team’s trip from Trinidad to Florida in the USA and from Florida, to Chicago where the team will play its opening contest of the tournament.

According to the source at the ministry, concerns have been constantly raised over the TTFA’s claims of money issues and their continuous requests of monies to fund both the men and women’s Soca Warriors.

However, from the $9 million that the Cabinet approved last November, $6 million was used for staff and players salaries owed by the TTFA since 2012.

With $3 million left, it is believed that the TTFA has allegedly used $2 million for the Pan Am Games.

According to the Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, the TTFA used up almost the whole $9 million, “all for the fault of themselves and what they would have used so far has nothing to do with women’s football.”

“The problem that we are having, we have a pool of money and when we look at it as a piechart we can see that a great amount of money is already used up for football. Because of the fact that the TTFA refuses to pay for anything and it is jeopardising other sporting programmes because they refuse to use whatever monies they would have gotten from FIFA to fund these programmes,” Sancho said.

“We cannot continue to spend all that money in football with other sports being finance neglected. The Government of TT will have to bail out the Soca Warriors Women’s Team eventually because that is where it is heading but it has to stop somewhere,” he added.

“Well, this is not bailout yet, but it is where it is heading, but the real story is the fact that they do not seem to have anything within them to want to even fund in any programmes, to put anything towards it and they continuously look to the ministry and the government to pay all their salaries, travel etc and it is not fair to other governing bodies and I think that’s the challenge that we are faced with,” Sancho said.

The sports minister noted that President Raymond Tim Kee has even allegedly refused, on many occasions to show their financial books.

“These are people who refuse to show anything in its books with regards to the Fifa money that they get, to the Concacaf money that they get, we tend to wonder what is going on with those monies,” Sancho said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ministry of Sport and TTFA on money collision course again
By Rhondor Dowlat (Guardian).

The Ministry of Sport has exhausted all its funding for football and is expected to make a request to Concacaf to divert part of its US$100,000 grant to the women’s team and the Under 17 and Under 20 tournaments for 2015.

As it looks now, both women soca warriors teams may not make it for their respective upcoming tournaments happening later in the year.

On Friday, the Ministry of Sport was expected to send a correspondence on the matter to Concacaf.

Officials at the Ministry of Sport and Sport Company of TT (SporTT) said they have questions for the TT Football Federation (TTFF) to answer concerning the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup funding and the use of taxpayers money from the Ministry for the tournament, which is being held at Soldier Field in Chicago, USA, starting tomorrow.

According to a previous T&T Guardian article, on June 11, 2015, the TTFA collected a cheque for TT$133,000 from the Ministry of Sports. Initially the ministry was allegedly informed by the TTFA that they didn’t have funds to send the senior men’s team to overnight in London before heading off to Jordan for one of its warm-up matches which is part of the team’s Gold Cup preparations.

The Concacaf grant, according to sources in the Ministry of Sport, which is due at the end of this month, includes an allocation for the senior men’s team travel, from Trinidad to their first point of entry into the US. Since, the funding was not yet available, the Ministry was asked to cover the team’s trip from Trinidad to Florida in the USA and from Florida, to Chicago where the team will play its opening contest of the tournament.

According to the source at the ministry, concerns have been constantly raised over the TTFA’s claims of money issues and their continuous requests of monies to fund both the men and women’s Soca Warriors.

However, from the $9 million that the Cabinet approved last November, $6 million was used for staff and players salaries owed by the TTFA since 2012.

With $3 million left, it is believed that the TTFA has allegedly used $2 million for the Pan Am Games.

According to the Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, the TTFA used up almost the whole $9 million, “all for the fault of themselves and what they would have used so far has nothing to do with women’s football.”

“The problem that we are having, we have a pool of money and when we look at it as a piechart we can see that a great amount of money is already used up for football. Because of the fact that the TTFA refuses to pay for anything and it is jeopardising other sporting programmes because they refuse to use whatever monies they would have gotten from FIFA to fund these programmes,” Sancho said.

“We cannot continue to spend all that money in football with other sports being finance neglected. The Government of TT will have to bail out the Soca Warriors Women’s Team eventually because that is where it is heading but it has to stop somewhere,” he added.

“Well, this is not bailout yet, but it is where it is heading, but the real story is the fact that they do not seem to have anything within them to want to even fund in any programmes, to put anything towards it and they continuously look to the ministry and the government to pay all their salaries, travel etc and it is not fair to other governing bodies and I think that’s the challenge that we are faced with,” Sancho said.

The sports minister noted that President Raymond Tim Kee has even allegedly refused, on many occasions to show their financial books.

“These are people who refuse to show anything in its books with regards to the Fifa money that they get, to the Concacaf money that they get, we tend to wonder what is going on with those monies,” Sancho said.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well this is getting heated again - when will we get transparent accounting on both sides :(

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Umm...I really not sure if it's the reporters getting these quotes wrong or the administration playing the fool but...

...MINISTRY OF SPORT can't write Concacaf to request funds to be diverted for other programmes. FIFA don't deal with government (unless it is off the books to take bribes). Only Tim Kee could make that request. And TTFF have that right to say "govt interference" if they decide they don't want those funds diverted.

In other words, Sancho can only deal with the local arm unfortunately. Despite what he says, or hopes,  he can't go above Tim Kee head even if it seems to be in the best interest of the players and tax payers.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just so that i not too misinformed, could someone help me figure out if the payment the ministry makes for (i)coaches & staff salaries and (ii) travel and airfare for teams
were they both included in the $9million the Ministry of sport gave / is giving to the TTFA? or are these separate monies in addition on the $9million?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Just so that i not too misinformed, could someone help me figure out if the payment the ministry makes for (i)coaches & staff salaries and (ii) travel and airfare for teams
were they both included in the $9million the Ministry of sport gave / is giving to the TTFA? or are these separate monies in addition on the $9million?

TTFA received money for the Jordan and also from the gold cup... this is additional money received on top of the amounts given to them by the MOS... so all the talk about TTFA have no money is a lie..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yes,  the cabinet note covered all expenses for practice/friendly matches as well as camps, including the Florida camp.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Who the hell owns the rights to broadcasting CONCACAF football overall?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yes,  the cabinet note covered all expenses for practice/friendly matches as well as camps, including the Florida camp.
I always find it hard to understand a "yes"or "no" answer to a question where there are 2 options given,  as I don't know which of the options to apply the "yes" or "no" to.

Please excuse my slowness. So as I understand your statement, the TTFA draw up a proper budget all these things were included and agreed to, the problem is the disbursement of already agreed upon funds as Sancho decide to hold back delivery of money as he suspects the TTFA were not truthful in their original income reporting (which the previous sports minister would have assumed was correct before deciding to spend taxpayers money that way)?

If that is true then Sancho not in the right. If he suspect some kind of fraud on the part of the TTFA to me the proper way would be to use the Attorney general and all the branches of the state at his disposal to properly investigate and prosecute - gov't funds after all...not becoming the law unto himself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:55:45 PM by kounty »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I always find it hard to understand a "yes"or "no" answer to a question where there are 2 options given,  as I don't know which of the options to apply the "yes" or "no" to.

Please excuse my slowness. So as I understand your statement, the TTFA draw up a proper budget all these things were included and agreed to, the problem is the disbursement of already agreed upon funds as Sancho decide to hold back delivery of money as he suspects the TTFA were not truthful in their original income reporting (which the previous sports minister would have assumed was correct before deciding to spend taxpayers money that way)?

If that is true then Sancho not in the right. If he suspect some kid of fraud on the part of the TTFA to me the proper way would be to use the Attorney general and all the branches of the state at his disposal to properly investigate and prosecute...not becoming the law unto himself.

TTFA apply to the Ministry to access funds that were awarded via the cabinet note and also a subvention. Neither of these are guaranteed. If TTFA submit a budget and the Ministry is not happy with it, he can decide not to fund the entire budget. Also, the budget can change. The Jordan trip suddenly increased because there were two overnight stays that were not budgeted for. Then we had the U23 visa fiasco which MoS had to pay for. Both U23's and SMT lengthened their stay in hotels in T&T. Each time the budget changes, MoS has to approve the new figure and hope there is available funds. Another point was that Sancho was not prepared to pay stipends and believed that the match fees were too high. That's not to say TTFA couldn't pay stipends and big match fees, but the Ministry wasn't prepared to.

You have to understand how this works. Once the agreed funding at MoS is exhausted, where will TTFA obtain money for U17's, U20's and the rest of the national teams including SMT WC18 preparation?  What about grassroots? SuperLeague? F.A.Trophy? Remember, TTFA not telling MoS how much it receives from FIFA or CONCACAF.

MoS knew that CONCACAF paid travel allowances for Gold Cup. But why did TTFA not declare this? It's not fraud, it's just not honest. And when did that money reach? Because 3 weeks ago, TTFA apparently couldn't raise $23,000 for visas and last week requested money for laundry.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online

;D

I think there is a difference between answering a set of written questions and answering the phone.

Send me his number, I'll call him with the same questions.

Dn't patronize me

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

;D

Dn't patronize me

Patronize? Just stating a fact. Just remember, Tim-Kee got a ghost writer to answer at least some of your questions, so he ain't no hero. You are the only person that I have seen Sancho sit and spend an hour responding to questions. Even TV only takes 10 minutes.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Exerts from the Guardian report, a few members and FS.

1. According to the Minister of Sport, Brent Sancho, the TTFA used up almost the whole $9 million, “all for the fault of themselves and what they would have used so far has nothing to do with women’s football.”
Well said Sancho. However, The Prime Minister made promises in Parliament and at the press conference after the Caribbean Cup Final assuring our senior team they will have “nothing to worry about” through the Gold Cup. My thing is, give the TTFA their owed money and off your backs?

2. “We cannot continue to spend all that money in football with other sports being finance neglected.
I am not sure about that. The Olympic team normally get MILLIONS and homes etc. Furthermore, Cricket are seeking 31M from the T&T government. They also just got 13M from government owned companies.

3. The sports minister noted that President Raymond Tim Kee has even allegedly refused, on many occasions to show their financial books.
Tim Kee told SWO that; "we are working with KPMG on getting the TTFA audits completed from 2008 -2014." Why not call KPMG and asked them if they are finished? furthermore, Tim Kee became TTFA president in 2012. Why would Sancho expect him to account for events before this? Sancho is asking the wrong person, he needs to asked Jack Warner, who emptied the accounts bone dry and left the TTFA dead broke. I am not hear to defend anyone. But to me this have to stop. The problem is very easy to fix, but instead all involved are using our teams like pawns.

4. Who the hell owns the rights to broadcasting CONCACAF football overall?
Valid question and how much are they getting?

5. The Jordan trip suddenly increased because there were two overnight stays that were not budgeted for. Then we had the U23 visa fiasco which MoS had to pay for. Both U23's and SMT lengthened their stay in hotels in T&T. Each time the budget changes, MoS has to approve the new figure and hope there is available funds.
And what was the reason for the delay may I asked? Was it the TTFA fault?

6. You have to understand how this works. Once the agreed funding at MoS is exhausted, where will TTFA obtain money for U17's, U20's and the rest of the national teams including SMT WC18 preparation?  What about grassroots? SuperLeague? F.A.Trophy? Remember, TTFA not telling MoS how much it receives from FIFA or CONCACAF.
So you are genuinely telling us that the TTFA did not provide any long term programms to the MOS? Furthermore, the Super League and F.A.Trophy was completed last season and teams were paid their prize money, no? Then they want to take it further next season and restructure the league, One have to remember, it takes money to do this, if the TTFA don't have 23,000 to pay for a VISA how do you expect them to run leagues and grassroots without the government assistance. I'll tell you what I will contact Sheldon (at your request) and have him send you over programs from grassroots to Super League, tell me when FS, this way, problem solved.

7. MoS knew that CONCACAF paid travel allowances for Gold Cup. But why did TTFA not declare this? It's not fraud, it's just not honest. And when did that money reach? Because 3 weeks ago, TTFA apparently couldn't raise $23,000 for visas and last week requested money for laundry.
Totally unacceptable. if the TTFA needs assistant, they have to be open. I agreed wholeheartedly once or if this is true. And I can't understand why accounts cannot be reveal from 2013 - 2015 (Tim Kee era).

8. Another point was that Sancho was not prepared to pay stipends and believed that the match fees were too high. That's not to say TTFA couldn't pay stipends and big match fees, but the Ministry wasn't prepared to.
Agreed, the TTFA can't expect the government to PAY FOR EVERYTHING, they have to contribute as well. and they also should consider firing and hiring some people who could market their product and better management than Muhammad, etc. Why I also don't like is they do not do any community service and small fund raising events but just waiting on government help. I might be wrong? They need to be hands on, get players involved also.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:29:16 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online

;D

Dn't patronize me

Patronize? Just stating a fact. Just remember, Tim-Kee got a ghost writer to answer at least some of your questions, so he ain't no hero. You are the only person that I have seen Sancho sit and spend an hour responding to questions. Even TV only takes 10 minutes.

Does it matter who wrote it?

Once the words is coming from his mouth and he reads and acknowledges it then go ahead, I could care less who wrote it. Infact, if anyone wants to interview me, they too will be writing it and editing it to make it more professional and well written.

Furthermore, I have no issue with Sancho not doing the interview, like I told you via PM.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
6. You have to understand how this works. Once the agreed funding at MoS is exhausted, where will TTFA obtain money for U17's, U20's and the rest of the national teams including SMT WC18 preparation?  What about grassroots? SuperLeague? F.A.Trophy? Remember, TTFA not telling MoS how much it receives from FIFA or CONCACAF.
So you are genuinely telling us that the TTFA did not provide any long term programms to the MOS? Furthermore, the Super League and F.A.Trophy was completed last season and teams were paid their prize money, no? Then they want to take it further next season and restructure the league, One have to remember, it takes money to do this, if the TTFA don't have 23,000 to pay for a VISA how do you expect them to run leagues and grassroots with the government assistance. I'll tell you what I will contact Sheldon (at your request) and have him send you over programs from grassroots to Super League, tell me when FS, this way, problem solved.

Flex, you provide all the plans you want, my point, that you are actually agreeing with, is how are those plans to be funded? Again, no money for visas yet you're saying they can fund SuperLeague? No money for laundry, yet you're suggesting they can fund U17's, U20's and the rest of the national teams including SMT WC18 preparation? What usually happens is that they get into a crisis and rush to the MoS for more funds. If MoS don't pay, they rush to the press. That's how there were arrears from 2012 and 2013 Gold Cup. How was the 2013 Gold Cup participation money spent? Don't worry about asking Sheldon for the plans. Ask him for the source of income to pay for it please.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What usually happens is that they get into a crisis and rush to the MoS for more funds. If MoS don't pay, they rush to the press.
This is what I'm interested in. Where under Sancho's watch has the ministry paid for something that wasn't already in the budget / cabinet note?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Is the T&T government obligated to help football and to what extent, how much money should be allowed per year?

Just asking?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTCB wants $31m from Govt
Jelani Beckles

The T&T Cricket Board (TTCB), meeting in an executive retreat over the weekend in Couva, has approved and submitted a budget of $31,351,275 to the Sport Company of T&T to cover their developmental programme for the current fiscal year.

Of this amount, the board will put forward approximately $1,593,000, with external funding through grants and sponsorship totalling $31,351,275.

The funds requested represent proposals for the upgrade of their sprawling 17-acre training and administrative facility at Balmain, Couva, and the undertaking of several important projects to enhance the preparedness of its national teams, increase their assistance to clubs, and provide specialist training for curators, umpires and scorers.

The TTCB also has set key timelines to achieve several other major objectives including competitive tours for boys and girls teams (primary and secondary schools), the constitution of an elite umpires’ panel, and the establishment of minimum coaching requirements for the BGTT age-group competition.

And in a fulfillment of a pledge to alleviate the burgeoning costs associated with club administration and community development which are intrinsically linked, the TTCB is allocating approximately $9,000,000 in grants.

In addition, the clubs are being asked to twin with educational institutions and urged to develop their own grant and scholarship programmes which will add impetus to the board’s vision to expand the potential of their sport-education model to ensure success in the future.

One of the biggest chunks of the budget targets the National Cricket Centre (NCC), which is wholly owned by the TTCB, with proposals to outfit it with a state-of-the art electronic scoreboard costing in the region of $2,000,000.

There is also a proposal for the laying of a sand-based outfield at the NCC which is expected to bring it on par with internationally accepted standards and is estimated to set the board back approximately $3,000,000.

The board also hopes to erect bleachers to accommodate cricket fans at the NCC which should be in place by October 31, and will enhance the facility’s capability to host mega-events in a safe and comfortable environment.

Stressing that coaching and youth development are two of its major strengths, the board also intends to continue to improve its development model to meet the changing requirements of the game and has placed additional emphasis in this regard.

For preparation of the national teams under its purview, the TTCB has budgeted $2,371,250 for their Under-13, Under-15, Under-17, Under-19 and senior Red Force teams to be supported by island-wide coaching programmes costing $750,000. These initiatives involve 3,000 children instructed by 120 coaches.

Specialist coaching programmes to boost the TTCB’s successful initiatives are also listed for batting, bowling and fielding ($300,000) while the board’s unique Cricket Academy, the incubator of latent talent on the threshold of national senior selection, has also been allocated $300,000 for the training of 20 elite cricketers.

The annual Easter Bunny Programme casts a net for 5,000 children supervised by 200 trained coaches while the Primary Schools Cricket League attracts the participation of 386 schools throughout T&T for boys and girls who will benefit from development tours costing $100,000 each. That figure is $50,000 less than that budgeted for their Secondary Schools Cricket League colleagues.

At the U-11 level, the board aims to double its intake of schools in the Scotiabank Kiddy Cricket Programme, a holistic programme combining athletic skills with scholastic performance with a target of 104 schools.

The national executive places great importance on improving the cricket standards on and off the field and has catered for the training of umpires ($100,000), curators ($120,000) and National League scorers ($50,000).   

The board also recognises the valued contribution made by its 188 affiliated clubs, described as the lifeblood of the organisation and as such have pledged $864,000 for an ambitious sports foundation; assistance for the provision of pitch covers ($408,000) and for acquiring equipment ($240,000).

In addition to $120,000 for development seminars, the total budget for club development is $1,892,000 of which the TTCB will cough up $180,000 to be supplemented by $1,712,000 which will be raised from external sources. 

The progress the TTCB hopes to achieve in the coming months will be measured by key timelines for other important initiatives including draft fixtures for the 2016 National League; a review of competition regulations; establishment of an elite umpires’ panel (Premier I and II) in conjunction with the Cricket Umpires and Scorers’ Council.

The timeline for the training of National League officials in electronic scoring, and an exercise to assess the performance of umpires using video footage of selected matches has also been set. This is all expected to be completed by October 31 when the financial year ends.

Also discussed at the executive retreat at the Metro Hotel was an umpire recruitment programme, a course for curators, and the setting of minimum coaching certification for the BGTT Youth Series: Under-13, Under-15 (Level 1); Under-17 and Under-19 (Level II)

It was also decided that the BGTT Under-13 series will be played immediately after the 2016 Secondary Entrance Assessment for primary schools, to facilitate minimum disruption for the students and their teachers.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2015-07-08/ttcb-wants-31m-govt

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Money for medals
Pan Am athletes to be rewarded for success in Canada
By Roger Seepersad

The Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC), in an effort to give its athletes extra motivation to perform at the Pan Am Games in Toronto, Canada, has announced medal bonuses which will form part of the TTOC's 10 or more Olympic gold medals athlete welfare and preparation programme.

TTOC president Brian Lewis set a national objective to achieve eight more Olympic gold medals by the 2024 Summer Games and for the first time in its history the TTOC will have a medal bonus which will see athletes getting US$3,000 for winning a gold medal, US$2,000 for a silver and US$1,000 for bronze in individual competition at the Toronto Games which start on Friday.

In the relay events, teams will get US$9,000 for gold, US$6,000 for silver and US$3,000 for bronze.

In respect of team sports, US$1,500 will be rewarded per athlete for a gold, US$1,000 for silver and US$750 for bronze.

The TTOC is determined to take the necessary steps and decisions in its effort to create the environment that will assist

the athletes in striving to achieve medal winning objectives.

TTOC vice-president Dr Ian Hypolite feels that the introduction of the medal bonuses could be a very worthwhile initiative.

He said that while athletes are already motivated to do well, the incentives will let them know their efforts are appreciated and will be like the icing on the cake.

“Anything that serves to incentivise our athletes is obviously welcome,” Hypolite told the Express. “It is a bold initiative and principle in the cause in an attempt to incorporate corporate Trinidad in the process.”

“There are a lot of expectations surrounding our athletes but I think the public needs to understand that athletic success is not a give and that support is always vital. The incentives are one thing but what the TTOC is really calling upon is for corporate Trinidad and Tobago to support our athletes,” he explained.

“Motivation is a complex thing. Many athletes are already intrinsically motivated however some extrinsic motivation in the form of a reward can always be like the icing on the cake so to speak,” Hypolite added.

“I don't think there are any athletes who are going to say they are going to run for the money. They are already motivated to do well but I think the rewards will be an indication of some level of appreciation for the athletes' commitment towards Trinidad and Tobago and I think that is also a major consideration,” he said.

According to a TTOC press release, “the introduction of medal bonuses is an essential component of the 10 or more Olympic Gold medals athlete welfare and preparation programme.

“In pursuit of its strategic goals and objectives the TTOC acknowledges the support of its corporate partners: bpTT, Guardian Group, Scotiabank, Adidas, Lisa Communications and NLCB. It is an exciting time for the TTOC. Rio 2016 is just around the corner. Pan Am Toronto will get underway this week. Lots of challenges but it's exciting,” the release stated.

1]; } ?>