March 28, 2024, 06:02:55 AM

Author Topic: Big up T&T, but we need to work on how to protect a lead.  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Big up T&T, but we need to work on how to protect a lead.
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
VS Guatemala

Big up T&T, but we need to work on how to protect a lead, against a better team we could have lost. But I understand they will learn too.

Big up to Hartie and the team, congrats, but we have to learn from that second half mess that almost cost us.

How can we just give a team permission to come at us at will?

When you have a team to kill, finish them because yuh dont get back them chances.

We need a player on de field who can hold de ball up, maybe Marshall shoulda come on for Hyland and move Bakr to defensive midfield and slop Marshall in de back?

I dont think Jones and Plaza is a good combo upfront? they styles similar.

Jan - 6, did ok when tested.

Cyrus - 7, fighter, and he didn't take bait from Ruiz who was trying to make his get a red, he hold he head.

Abu Bark - 6 - His pace is his killer, hard to have de last man as de slowest, but he good at man marking.

David - 7, Neat player.

Joevin - 6, played like Latas for the first 15 mins and then where did he go?

Hyland - 8, fight, but must watch de wild play.

George, 7, Was there in de first lil bit, but he played very good in de second half, save we a few times and break up plays good.

Cato - 9, My man of the match, confident and able and smart, but sometimes he drift wide and not only lose his marker, but his teammates to.

Bateau - 7, Scored a nice goal, but he get caught out of position a few times and leaving Bakr to take wood.

Guerra - 7, I see flashes of what he can do, very nice player but tend to try to hard and sometimes over tricky, but made some nice nippy touches. Plaza came on for him, nice to see three Central FC players on the field, Sancho must be real proud.

Kenwyne - 6, Was ok, tried hard, but need to be more vocal on the field, miss two baby sitters.

Of all de subs, Plaza look de best, I suspect Boucaud came on to settle de game and he did that, and Peltier did ok to.

All in all fellas, a wonderful win and I am very proud of them fellas, they played like Chelsea in de first half with hustle and running and fight but in de second half they played  like St Anns Rangers.

Hartie is a smart coach, now he will give players like Glenn, Marshall, Williams, Corbin, Boucaud, Winchester and Cummings a chance to wet they feet next game and get everybody up to a higher level.

We 2 center backs carrying yellow cards, so it important to get de others ready. This is why Julius shoulda been here, but no scene man, next time.

My line up for Cuba

Williams
David
Marshall
Williams
Cyrus
Joevin
Boucaud
Cummings
Cato
Winchester
Jones

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:37:22 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T cannot protect a lead.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
Stupid title for this thread  :thumbsdown: especially as we won by 2 goals!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
I like this style of football.  Score a flurry of goals and hang on for dear life.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
Sam, everyone should at least geh a 6. Harsh on Jones and Bakr.

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »
Jones had some neat passes, but his wild shots and two sitters drove me up a wall!!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »
we could lock up a spot on saturday d way Cuba playin
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »

No team is to be taken for granted, that atitude can get us into trouble!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »
smh@this headline.............why not Congrats TT?????
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:46 PM »
Don't agree..

It's called strategy... Hart used the second half to work on defense and the counter attack...

They need the practice and experience, good half to work your plays and experiment ...

And for the record they did protect the lead...

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »

No team is to be taken for granted, that atitude can get us into trouble!
I said we "COULD" have plenty room for error dey...come on now
I pity the fool....

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
We were lucky to score 3 goals.

but I think we are better than guatemala.

our defense is not strong enough to limit any team to no chances.

possession wise we should have controlled the game more but once a team gets a big lead in the back f the mind you have to drop back and try to prevent goals

we should have found a way to stick a goal in the second half to kill of the game on the counter.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »
Don't agree..

It's called strategy... Hart used the second half to work on defense and the counter attack...

They need the practice and experience, good half to work your plays and experiment ...

Breds, I was beside myself when I was watching the first half. Is this the friggin team that too-too down in Jordan. Like I said in an earlier post, that it was quite a while that we have seen a TT team attacked like they did in the 1st. Second half was pins and needles. Guat had 3 chances. one, Jan got his palm to and the other 2 flashed across the goal with Guat. missing closely. This could have been a tie game, but the force was with us. The good sign is, when we start good in this tournament we play well up to the semis. So this win may be a good omen.!!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
Why some people think our defense played badly. Or are they trying to say that collectively the team did not play good defense? The back four were not spectacular, but they played very well. We won 90% of the air ball. We won most of the final third tackles. I must admit, I was scared of our back four  making bad tackles in and around the area. Aubrey may have been tired, but ran his socks off. Our problem was the ball possession was poor in the 2nd half. Guat. dominated. We were not able to counter like the first.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:49 PM »
Don't agree..

and how do you know that sir are you part of the technical team? i believe we ran out of steam because we played a fast pace game, simple.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Big up T&T, but we need to work on how to protect a lead.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:39 AM »
Guatemala missed 3 clear chances on goal.

Allyuh talking shit.

And I did big up de team and coach.

F00ck off.

Maybe de title was a lil of.

But ah trying to make a point.

And Contro right, I agree, Hart made the team practice on how to work on defense, keep pocession and the counter attacks.

I am very proud of de fellas.

Best game I have seen from T&T in a while now. Especially first half.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:16:22 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 05:59:58 AM »
We were lucky to score 3 goals.

Dat eh no luck. We take advantage of dey defensive mistakes. Daiz how it dis usually wuk. If yuh say we lucky to score three goals, I could easily say we unlucky not to have scored five or six.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 06:21:59 AM »
Congrats to the coach/ staff and team.. definitely areas to work on, however this will do wonders for your confidence moving on. 

Had to laugh when the announcer mentioned speed and Abu in the same sentence oui! Love the effort (for the most part) by the entire team. Best of luck as we progress!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
Hear nah man I have not seen the warriors play in a long time and I was bouncing off the walls when we rip them with 3 in 25 min OMG when last we team do that!!!
SO PROUD of the team.

My only concern watching Mexico is to find a way to cut off them quick passes and flicks. Physically we are bigger but my goodness them Mexicans were running the whole time, Cuba just could not handle them

BUT FOR NOW I HAVE TO REVEL IN THE MOMENT FOR MY WARRIORS !!!!!!! WE GO TAKE THAT ONE ALL DAY

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 06:32:49 AM »
I also have to big up JAMACIA AND HAITI for good fighting performances. The Caribbean REPRESENTING!!!!!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
The defenders are still getting used to the system... These games will serve as well, because Mexico and them have 14 more games under their belt than us.. So we need to use these games to work our strategies and prepare for wcq ...

I think we are playing a full strength Cuba team on Sunday... Mexico made sure of that... So we need to put them way....

I believe hart will try some different combos on Sunday to get the other players involved because of the yellow card situation..

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »
Great win fellas. What really impressed me (besides netting three goals in 20 minutes, which I have never seen Trinidad do, even when we used to hit Caribbean sides 7+) was the way we maintained our shape and had positional discipline. I give a lot of credit to coach Hart for that.

Also pleased with the young and upcoming players. Imagine if we had Molino to add to this side.

One note on Guerra, damn that boy talented. If the light switches on for  him...
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
Guatemala missed 3 clear chances on goal.

Allyuh talking shit.

And I did big up de team and coach.

F00ck off.

Maybe de title was a lil of.

But ah trying to make a point.

And Contro right, I agree, Hart made the team practice on how to work on defense, keep pocession and the counter attacks.

I am very proud of de fellas.

Best game I have seen from T&T in a while now. Especially first half.

Thanks for the title change, no need for the obscenity.

Many factors can be used to explain the performance of the 2nd half.  This is a team that was desperate for a win, and they stopped playing and started to count down the minutes.

I am also proud of the team, because they simply defied expectations and possibly raised them.  All the international/neutral match previews had Guatemala winning this game.

At the end of the day, we sat back and Guatemala were bound to create chances.  Thankfully, we protected our lead and our confidence is now sky high and we believe that we belong in this tournament.

nb: 2nd place in our group plays 2nd place in Group B in the Quarter Finals

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 08:52:29 AM »
Andre, after taking the lead we sit back. I don't think that was intentional. They forced us on the back foot. Their mids took over the game. We defended well. And yes, played for time. But I liked the fortitude of the team. Fight to the very end.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »
Andre, after taking the lead we sit back. I don't think that was intentional. They forced us on the back foot. Their mids took over the game. We defended well. And yes, played for time. But I liked the fortitude of the team. Fight to the very end.

It happens at all levels. 

Did you see the Jamaica vs Argentina game.  Argentina controlled the game until the 75-80min then Jamaica took over.  Argentina lost the midfield when they were primarily concerned with protecting their 1-0 lead.

A midfield can only dominate or hold possession if movement is being made in and around them.  This was not taking place while we were in possession since we switched into a mindset to protect the 3pts.

But you are right, we showed plenty defensive fortitude, I have seen stronger TnT teams buckle under the pressure of a team that they were previously dominating.  Anyone remember TnT vs El Salvador in 2009?  We were up 2-0 and cruising, missed a penalty and all.  Then the mindset changed into protecting the lead then El Salvador took over and we drew 2-2.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »

It happens at all levels. 

Did you see the Jamaica vs Argentina game.  Argentina controlled the game until the 75-80min then Jamaica took over.  Argentina lost the midfield when they were primarily concerned with protecting their 1-0 lead.

A midfield can only dominate or hold possession if movement is being made in and around them.  This was not taking place while we were in possession since we switched into a mindset to protect the 3pts.

But you are right, we showed plenty defensive fortitude, I have seen stronger TnT teams buckle under the pressure of a team that they were previously dominating.  Anyone remember TnT vs El Salvador in 2009?  We were up 2-0 and cruising, missed a penalty and all.  Then the mindset changed into protecting the lead then El Salvador took over and we drew 2-2.

Good point mr.3000....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 12:44:13 AM »
what a lot of us missed in this game was the pace in which we played yesterday's game was blisteringly fast. i noticed this when i watch the game again, and right after the usa haiti match. we played twice as fast in our game and was pressed heavily by the guatemalans in the second half. compared to the usa haiti game we were flying. no wonder we made so many errant passes, there was no time to think, real race horse football.

Offline Fyzo10

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
Hyland must be in the line...dude is up there

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
Hart calls for full 90 minutes from his Warriors.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

TALE OF TWO HALVES

TWO good halves of football is all coach Stephen Hart wants from the Soca Warriors, but he is nevertheless pleased with a T&T'S 3-1 opening win over Guatemala and a good start to the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Hart lauded his team's defence and pressing, which was largely responsible for forcing Guatemala defenders to concede their second goal in a first half where T&T scored three goals in 25 minutes.

“Hopefully we can play more consistently like we played the first half,” Hart said. “I thought Guatemala in the first 15, 20 minutes, didn't handle well, the press from us. They panicked a bit because you get scored on.”

“We pressed well, we recovered the ball in good areas of the field, we got the goals and we kept possession well,” added the former Canada coach. “We made Guatemala chase, which they weren't comfortable with.” Hart felt his players lost the midfield battle in the second half.

“They (Guatemala) have good quality. Good footballers, with some experience up front, and the second half showed they could be a completely different team,” he said.

“In the second half, we dropped too deep. We allowed Guatemala to play,” Hart pointed out. “One; they kept the ball very well, (they) made us run, and two; they played a little more direct and forced us to defend around the penalty box, and it caused us problems.”

The loss of midfield control provided a greater test for the Soca Warriors defence which was sometimes stretched in the second half. “This is sort of a new defence and they are still trying to understand each other. At times they did well, except the second half when they (Guatemala) started to play a little more direct,” Hart said.

“We were not winning the first ball or the second ball, and I though Khaleem Hyland and Kevan George had too much work to do. We were not compact enough in the midfield to stop them playing those penetrating balls.

Meanwhile, Guatemala's coach Ivan Franco Sopegno is still confident of the Central Americans advancing out of Group C to the quarter-final stage. But he thinks Guatemala must play a perfect match against Mexico and also beat Cuba. Obviously not pleased with the showing against T&T, Sopegno said Guatemala is building for the World Cup.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
The above statement by coach Hart shows that he is well aware of our deficiencies despite the good results. I agree with his statements. We did lose control of the middle and made Guatemala dominate the 2nd half. He knows that sometimes when you winning, we tend to overlook our faults. He appears not to want to fall into that trap. Good luck coach.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
The above statement by coach Hart shows that he is well aware of our deficiencies despite the good results. I agree with his statements. We did lose control of the middle and made Guatemala dominate the 2nd half. He knows that sometimes when you winning, we tend to overlook our faults. He appears not to want to fall into that trap. Good luck coach.
a lot of us was bigging up cordel cato but that man gave away a lot of possession on the flank by trying to force the game which in turn caused us to defend a lot more than we needed to. cordel has to play to his strength and stop trying to out dribble his markers because he's not a good dribbler and it showed yesterday. he is easily moved off the ball and does not have the size to shield of bigger defenders, he does however have a lot of speed and should use his speed instead of trying to out maneuver his markers.

i would like to see us avoid the errant passes altogether. we seem to try and force the issue in many of our games, and do lees to try and keep the ball and move it around in order to give our players a breather, but when we force plays and turn over possession then we cause our midfielders and defenders to over work themselves especially getting back in defense. the team gave away a lot of possession to guatemala on thursday, and a better team will make us pay for relinquishing so much possession to them.

1]; } ?>