April 23, 2024, 02:02:38 PM

Author Topic: Bitch better have my money! Soca Warriors respond to Sancho/Tim Kee impasse  (Read 5133 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bitch better have my money! Warriors respond to Sancho/Tim Kee impasse
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The “Soca Warriors”, who just booked their place in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals for just the third time in the country’s history, are not bumping their heads to Maximus Dan’s “I am a Fighter” these days.

R&B star Rihanna’s “Bitch better have my money” is said to be the track of choice among many of the players.

Trinidad and Tobago lead Group C, after successive wins over Guatemala and Cuba, and can top the group with a win or draw against Mexico tomorrow. They will have to do so without not only suspended midfielder Andre Boucaud but also injured team vice-captain and goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams.

Williams looks set to be ruled out for three weeks after a hamstring injury suffered in the first match against Cuba. It means the Central FC custodian would miss the rest of the Gold Cup as well as his club’s opening CONCACAF Champions League fixture away to Steven Gerrard’s LA Galaxy on August 6

If the Warriors finish atop Group C tomorrow, they will almost certainly face Panama in the quarterfinal round in New Jersey on Sunday. Should they lose to Mexico, they will probably meet Costa Rica in the knockout round instead.

Trinidad and Tobago’s most successful Gold Cup was in 2000 when coach Bertille St Clair led a team that boosted the likes of Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, David Nakhid, Jerren Nixon and the late Mickey Trotman to the semifinal round, where they were edged 1-0 by Canada.

However, with history beckoning, Trinidad and Tobago’s Gold Cup team was again distracted by off-field matters.

On Sunday, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee and general secretary Sheldon Phillips issued a press release that accused Sport Minister Brent Sancho of spreading malicious and misleading information and attempting to bully the football body.

And, yesterday, Sancho responded by accusing Tim Kee of mismanagement, dishonesty and disrespect towards the TTFA’s major sponsor.

“They will not be funded,” said Sancho. “Unless they can account for where our funds will go.”

The conflict has not gone unnoticed within the Warriors camp.

This morning, team captain Kenwyne Jones shared Sancho’s response on social media and referred to the feud with two posts.

“We play we fight… support from the relevant body? Still outstanding smfh.”

Jones followed that up with:

“So while the feud continues, the football suffers, note TT anytime we fall short in something it always a funding issue, if this doesn’t stop it can be the end of progress…

“Egos aside put the football first… or leave the relevant offices held.”

Warriors manager William Wallace admitted that there was some anxiety in the camp since, unlike the 2013 Gold Cup, players are not receiving match fees after each game as they are still awaiting funding from the Sport Ministry.

And Wallace revealed that, for the first time in a Gold Cup tournament, the TTFA did not offer win bonuses or financial incentives for qualifying for the quarterfinal, semifinal or even winning the entire thing.

“The last time we left Trinidad with US (dollars) so we got paid after each game,” Wallace told Wired868. “Now, I am trying to get a lump sum payment after the three group games. I hope we can get it done…

“We were not able to negotiate win bonuses due to financial constraints. Based on the budget we are working with, we are barely able to deal with match fees at this point in time.”

The TTFA relies almost entirely on the Ministry of Sport for its funding and was not able to raise money otherwise to pay its staff and players.

Wallace was much more tactful in his response to the Government’s relationship with the Warriors.

“With all that is happening on the political front, I would still like to thank the Ministry of Sport and the new PS (Gillian MacIntyre) who has been extremely professional in her approach in dealing with me,” said Wallace. “At this point in time, the Ministry of Sport is the only bearing tree, so we cannot cut it down.

“It might not be bearing as quickly or as prolifically as we would like it to be. But that is what we have…”

Sancho reiterated today that the Sport Ministry will honour its commitments to the Warriors as well as the Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Women’s Team, which is competing in the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games at present.

However, the Sport Minister did not promise any assistance to the TTFA beyond that, which would include the Warriors’ Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Sancho’s own political survival would depend on the polls as the country’s general elections will be held on September 7.

A TTFA insider, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, defended the timing of the press release, which slammed the Sport Minister’s behaviour.

“We have sat back for a while as the ministry at various times has levelled some misdirected allegations knowing that the organisation is still feeling the effects and negative impact of the Warner years,” he said. “So if something critical about us sounds plausible, even if it turns out to be untrue at closer look, the damage is done.

“And the ministry comes out looking like heroes in a situation they created.”

However, in the United States, Wallace said the Warriors technical staff felt the weekend release was part and parcel of the election season and they were concerned about its timing.

Tim Kee, who is also the Port of Spain Mayor, is the treasurer of the opposition People’s National Movement (PNM) party.

“The staff was questioning whether (the TTFA release) was necessary at that time,” Wallace told Wired868. “But it is politician against politician and we are in that season, so I suppose it is expected.

“As the African saying goes: when the elephants fight it is only the grass that suffers. But my focus is on the players and staff and I will not allow anything to derail that.”

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:40:08 PM by Flex »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
dunno if dis is the right time for all of this. Not only from the two set up men but Lasana too. What we should be hearing now is if we keeping the same squad or bring in new players for the next rounds.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:06:03 PM by royal »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
so what does this translate to????

no money, no winning...

jones and them should concentrate on winning the tournament, unless the players going to give 50% because no bonuses and incentives are in place by the TTFA and Sancho is looking for transparency...

Like I said before, the players should just strike if they are unhappy... don't get the die hard fans hopes up that they are going to give 100% when in the back of their mind it's a "bitch better have my money" attitude...

what happened to the honor in playing for your nation??? players can't rely on national football to mine them, that's club football and no one is saying the problem won't be sorted out but if that is the end all of success for your nation, don't play... because it takes time to weed out guys like TK and put things in place so the players are taken care of.. maybe if they formed a players union we wouldn't be having this discussion...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:19:16 PM by Controversial »

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I know a lot of posters on here would love to turn out for the nation, but how many would pay for free?? Just curious. I know players have families and bills but to represent your nation is the highest honour
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
I know a lot of posters on here would love to turn out for the nation, but how many would pay for free?? Just curious. I know players have families and bills but to represent your nation is the highest honour

not asking them to play for free, but the tone of the article and not looking at TK and what he is doing is disturbing..

Jones and the players need to realize that by winning and doing well, it puts them in a better position to demand better incentives and bonuses.. it gives them leverage... throwing the matches in the quarters and so forth is not helping their case...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:17:22 PM by Controversial »

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I know what your saying contro I was just interested in people's opinions on representing the nation. I'd give my left ball to play for mine
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
throwing the matches in the quarters and so forth is not helping their case...

KJ and them are in no position to throw away games. The verdict is very much out on this team. KJ is sitting pretty. He is should be a millioniaire by now. providing he doh follow 50 cents. The rest a them fellahs should be playing to impress Hart, and the scouts in the stands.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just to clarify....KJ has received assurances that the players will be paid. The comment about not continuing to fund TTFA is directed at when the cabinet note is exhausted.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Just to clarify....KJ has received assurances that the players will be paid. The comment about not continuing to fund TTFA is directed at when the cabinet note is exhausted.

good to hear :beermug:

pay the players, coach and coaching staff, don't give a red cent to TK and his cabal.. they cannot be trusted...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

KJ and them are in no position to throw away games. The verdict is very much out on this team. KJ is sitting pretty. He is should be a millioniaire by now. providing he doh follow 50 cents. The rest a them fellahs should be playing to impress Hart, and the scouts in the stands.

sorry brother but some men don't think like that... i support the players 200% and also support them being paid but sometimes money is not the end all and only motivating factor, sometimes it appears that it is...

the players winning and going into the semis or finals will put them in a very strong position to demand better salaries and incentives/bonuses... i hope they keep that in mind... they should also value playing for their nation... above everything else...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Kenwyne, doh take chain up from Sancho, he days numbered and as a footballer short lived.

You think before yuh jump.

Everyman control they own destiny eh.

Remember that.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Kenwyne, doh take chain up from Sancho, he days numbered and as a footballer short lived.

You think before yuh jump.

Everyman control they own destiny eh.

Remember that.

the chain up not from Sancho, it's from TK  ;)

the MOS paid the money, what has TTFA done to secure sponsorship???

personally I will say this, the business elite in TT will not fund TK, they prefer to work with Sancho and a new Prez when that happens.. so breds I hope you not taking the chain up from TK and his minions like Bakes...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Like I said in another post, the players are in the position to rectify this. They should have some balls and say TTFA we not playing until we sign a contract. Is time to have some balls here. When this tournament finish. Tell Tim Kee we tired of this, we are not playing until you can satisfy the players demands. If they go and play for the TTFA in the coming WC qualifications, then they accepting the status quo. So right now, it up to the players. Stop playing macomere men and shoo-shooing to Lasana. Come out straight and be f--kin men. Form allyuh players association.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Like I said in another post, the players are in the position to rectify this. They should have some balls and say TTFA we not playing until we sign a contract. Is time to have some balls here. When this tournament finish. Tell Tim Kee we tired of this, we are not playing until you can satisfy the players demands. If they go and play for the TTFA in the coming WC qualifications, then they accepting the status quo. So right now, it up to the players. Stop playing macomere men and shoo-shooing to Lasana. Come out straight and be f--kin men. Form allyuh players association.

been saying this for years brother... no one listens... with the new constitution things will change... TK will be gone... hopefully, the regionals will vote against him...

players need a union and it would have solved these problems...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

that chapter 11 by 50 was due to the lawsuit against him with rick ross's gf and her sex tape he released, the chapter 11 halts all court cases.. it was done deliberately... 50 is not broke by any means  ;)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now that a players association will get a TTFA vote, players need to form up. But I doubt if this will happen. I don't see players attitudes to be any different than they were back in 2007/8. I don't see them interested in paying subs to obtain bargaining power, pensions, insurance etc.

I really don't believe that most T&T players -both club and country - are greedy. And that may be the problem.

However, match fees is what's keeping TTFA in the red. The Gold Cup is costing just over TT$1 million in match fees for players and staff. The quarters will cost another TT$448,000. Then we have the U23's and the women. I'm not suggesting not paying players anything, but if you have no money, how can you negotiate match fees and then ask someone else to pay? At least let the MoS negotiate the fees.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Now that a players association will get a TTFA vote, players need to form up. But I doubt if this will happen. I don't see players attitudes to be any different than they were back in 2007/8. I don't see them interested in paying subs to obtain bargaining power, pensions, insurance etc.

I really don't believe that most T&T players -both club and country - are greedy. And that may be the problem.

However, match fees is what's keeping TTFA in the red. The Gold Cup is costing just over TT$1 million in match fees for players and staff. The quarters will cost another TT$448,000. Then we have the U23's and the women. I'm not suggesting not paying players anything, but if you have no money, how can you negotiate match fees and then ask someone else to pay? At least let the MoS negotiate the fees.

Valid question.

Will the MOS do it though?

If the TTFA give them the power to, will they?

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wheys Sancho causing plenty bacchanal since he reach boi. doh worry yuhself in a few months his corbeaux sweat will be done

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Valid question.

I doubt it. It would be conceding control. But maybe TTFA and MoS could work on a figure together.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wheys Sancho causing plenty bacchanal since he reach boi. doh worry yuhself in a few months his corbeaux sweat will be done

You would rather have Hunt or Griffith? If you all put your "Sancho wants to be TTFA President" theories aside, think about it. You think Hunt would realise that TTFA receive funding from CONCACAF for Gold Cup travel? You think Griffith had any idea of what U23's earn compared with US$1,000 match fees?

If you get your wish and the new sports minister is Karate enthusiast, who would keep a check on these things? (Mind you, Karate may be doing the same to Sancho now and he wouldn't know but at least the sums are a lot smaller!)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

Valid question.

I doubt it. It would be conceding control. But maybe TTFA and MoS could work on a figure together.

MOS needs a person they can sit at a table with and negotiate.. Currently that is not happening with TK...

What must be kept in mind is TK will negotiate much higher and then place the burden on the government, without their consultation..

When he does this, it automatically puts the government under the gun and it's a political tactic to make them look bad.. TK could say they don't want to pay the money to jeopardize the MOS image prior to the general elections..

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Patriotism means to hide news from the public? Maybe some readers don't want to know. But don't I have an obligation those who DO want to know?
And what is the real benefit of not knowing the truth about what is happening and what people think anyway? It does not make it any less real.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

FS save me all that ole talk. I can engage you in meaningful dialogue but since it is KNOWN Sancho is your boy and we KNOW yuh will defend him to the end let us just leave it right there.. BTW you do not know who will be the next Sports Minister and what will be his/her performance, however you can continue to make assumptions

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
But maybe TTFA and MoS could work on a figure together.

when cock have teeth!!!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
for the little time i here i could already tell that this controversial fellow is a political thumper. it's like he lives to fight mr timkee and the pnm. the thing is he finds no fault with brent sancho's tactics who is running his mouth when the team most needs their support. why don't sancho shut his mouth until the gold cup and panam games has concluded. there after he could run his political campaign and the demeaning of the PNM treasurer and mayor of pos all he wants, but it's too tempting for him to resist and continues to steal the good vibes that the MNT has been spreading. 

it will be nice to finally have a government and federation on the same political page for a change. and sancho you are a mobilang bachanalist bloke for doing this every time the lads are fighting to fly the flag while you exploit and steal their moment. i no longer feel sorry for you for scoring that own goal and crouch pulling your hair. it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:34:35 PM by pull stones »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Why is it on the players to rectify?

If they stop playing....they get ridicule from sporting public and media alike

You want them to stop playing....AFTER THE TOURNAMENT DONE.  With all due respect....you on kicks bro
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
for the little time i here i could already tell that this controversial fellow is a political thumper. it's like he lives to fight mr timkee and the pnm. the thing is he finds no fault with brent sancho's tactics who is running his mouth when the team most needs their support. why don't sancho shut his mouth until the gold cup and panam games has concluded. there after he could run his political campaign and the demeaning of the PNM treasurer and mayor of pos all he wants, but it's too tempting for him to resist and continues to steal the good vibes that the MNT has been spreading. 

it will be nice to finally have a government and federation on the same political page for a change. and sancho you are a mobilang bachanalist bloke for doing this every time the lads are fighting to fly the flag while you exploit and steal their moment. i no longer feel sorry for you for scoring that own goal and crouch pulling your hair. it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Hmmmm..

Logically speaking JW was a UNC, so Sancho attacking him has nothing to do with politics. The MOS asking the TTFA to be transparent is normal in a first world nation. Just recently, numerous  Canadian senators were involved with not disclosing expenses and expenses that were personal and not business. They are being investigated by the authorities, corruption is corruption.

The TTFA are using state money, tax payers money to fund their programs. So why is it unreasonable to ask for accountability and transparency?

Earlier on in this debacle I called out Sancho but then learned a lot more info about TK and his not so above the board dealings. Not to mention his inability to run the football federation properly.

If you cannot see the writing on the wall, I can't help you. If Sancho is the snake, it will come out, but so far TK is doing a good job at that.

For the record I'm not affiliated to any political party, TK is and reason for his rants is because Sancho is a unc member, it has nothing to do with football...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:42:52 PM by Controversial »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Why is it on the players to rectify?

You want them to stop playing....AFTER THE TOURNAMENT DONE.  With all due respect....you on kicks bro

Breds, I eh on no kicks. It is their call after the GC to put this shit to an end. Everytime you go to play a game or tournament is problem with your money. Since last year in JA this started. Do you see Sancho and Tim Kee sitting down to resolve this issue? No.!!!! So why prolong it. Like I said, if they decide to play in this coming  WC qualifiers, then they are accepting the status quo until after the elections. So stop bitching. Forget the MNT and play club football until after the elections. At least they getting money from the clubs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

ridicule by waggonists,  but the true football supporters will understand their plight.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
What have we learned? Timing timing - this script played out before- recall the Cariibbean Cup - Hart had this team achieving succes - time to play Jamaica same sheet came up - money money talk - - demoralized the team and we payed for it by not getting a chance at the Copa Cup tournament? Why? - greed greed - it will be our downfall-
Is like everyone want a piece of the pie- everyone want to eat ah food - everyone focusing on the wrong prize-

Hart time to take this team- lock them up - Vision exercise on the prize at hand- first time win ah group stage  move beyond and build like crazy for WC 2018 qualifers-
Leh we deal with the nonsense after the task here nah lawd! Why the distractions? As a player this political sheet have to stop - what is FIFA's role in safeguarding aganist the exploitation of players by government or local Federations?
What is the ethical stance that a government could take to ensure players are duly compensated? I sheeting in the wrong hole - I furget yuh cyar get  moral actions from a governance that has demonstrated beyond belief that ethics and morality doh exist.
Shame shame shame on all those who are letting we down and our players who are giving it all for TnT.at the end of the day- them players should play to their best and spite them  fire truckers - Only continued success will shame the dastardly money suckers.

1]; } ?>