March 28, 2024, 05:04:37 AM

Author Topic: 2016 Copa America Centenario Thead  (Read 52816 times)

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2016 Copa America Centenario Thead
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
Anybody know when and where the playoff games for the last two Copa spots will take place?

Panama vs Cuba
T&T vs Haiti.

winners will qualify for Copa 2016.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:04:37 PM by Flex »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Copa 2016 Playoff games.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:28:31 PM »
No date has been set as yet. There is a possiblity that Panama may qualify for the Copa by winning the Gold cup (even though that is a little far fetched). So it will probably make sense to wait and see what the outcome is.

I think putting the 4 teams into another playoff is bad decision making by Concacaf and Conmenbol. They should take the top finishers of the Gold cup. Especially considering that Copa 2016 is "up in the air" due to the corruption scandal.

If they do the playoff in October and Fifa cancels the tournament in November then the playoff would have been a total waste. I wouldn't be surprised if Concacaf and Conmembol pick the highest ranking teams based on the Gold cup.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:30:23 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:35:02 PM »
It still would not make sense because the 3 of the top 4 teams are already automatic qualifiers, The US, Mexico, Jamaica. Now if Panama won the whole thing, these 4 teams in the semi-final  will still be qualified..FIFA will still need to two more teams to complete the 6 teams that they intend to include in th eCopa
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:37:21 PM by truehaitian »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:09:41 AM »
It still would not make sense because the 3 of the top 4 teams are already automatic qualifiers, The US, Mexico, Jamaica. Now if Panama won the whole thing, these 4 teams in the semi-final  will still be qualified..FIFA will still need to two more teams to complete the 6 teams that they intend to include in th eCopa

Costa Rica are already qualified a Central American winners
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:00:55 AM »
No date has been set as yet. There is a possiblity that Panama may qualify for the Copa by winning the Gold cup (even though that is a little far fetched). So it will probably make sense to wait and see what the outcome is.

I think putting the 4 teams into another playoff is bad decision making by Concacaf and Conmenbol. They should take the top finishers of the Gold cup. Especially considering that Copa 2016 is "up in the air" due to the corruption scandal.

If they do the playoff in October and Fifa cancels the tournament in November then the playoff would have been a total waste. I wouldn't be surprised if Concacaf and Conmembol pick the highest ranking teams based on the Gold cup.
  There is absolutely no chance that the Copa America Centenario will be cancelled.  With all the corruption this year uncovered in CONCACAF, the current Gold Cupwould have been the first casualty...Tothink that the FBI investigations can stop the tournament taking place is absurd.  That's like saying there will be no world cup in 2018 or 2022 because of corruption. World cup will goon, people will be prosecuted for whatever crimes were committed.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2016 Copa America Centenario Thead
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 03:06:15 PM »
United States to kick off Copa America on June 3 at Levi's Stadium
ESPN

The United States will kick off the 2016 Copa America Centenario at Levi's Stadium, the home of the NFL's San Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara, California, on June 3, while Mexico will open the tournament on June 5 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and tournament organizers on Thursday announced the seedings, complete schedule and venues for all 32 games in the 16-team competition, which features the top teams from the Americas.

Host United States were given the top seed in Group A, while Argentina -- the highest FIFA-ranked nation in the Americas -- will be seeded at the top of Group D. Brazil and Mexico are the other two seeded teams and will head Groups B and C, respectively.

All 10 CONMEBOL teams will compete, plus six teams from CONCACAF. The remaining 12 non-seeded teams will be sorted into the four groups in a public draw in early 2016.

The potential Copa America pots should they be based on the FIFA ranking would be: Pot 1: United States, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina; Pot 2: Chile, Colombia, Uruguay and Ecuador; Pot 3: Costa Rica, Paraguay, Peru and Trinidad-Tobago-Haiti winner; Pot 4: Jamaica, Panama-Cuba winner, Bolivia and Venezuela.

The United States will also play in Chicago (June 7) and Philadelphia (June 11) in the group stage.

Argentina will head to Santa Clara (June 6) as well as Chicago (June 10) and Seattle (June 14).

Brazil will travel to Pasadena, California (June 4); Orlando, Florida (June 8.) and Foxborough, Massachusetts (June 12).

Mexico will play its group matches in Phoenix (June 5), Pasadena (June 9) and Houston (June 13).

The four quarterfinals will be played at CenturyLink Field in Seattle; MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey; New England's Gillette Stadium and Levi's Stadium from June 16-18.

The semifinals will be played June 21 and 22 at Houston's NRG Stadium and Chicago's Soldier Field.

The third-place match is set for June 25 in Glendale and the championship will take place June 26 at MetLife Stadium.

Paul Carr @PCarrESPN
Theoretical Centenario pots by FIFA ranking:

1: USA, BRA, MEX, ARG
2: CHI, COL, URU, ECU
3: CRC, PAR, PER, TRI*
4: JAM, PAN*, BOL, VEN

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »
United States to kick off Copa America on June 3 at Levi's Stadium
ESPN

The United States will kick off the 2016 Copa America Centenario at Levi's Stadium, the home of the NFL's San Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara, California, on June 3, while Mexico will open the tournament on June 5 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and tournament organizers on Thursday announced the seedings, complete schedule and venues for all 32 games in the 16-team competition, which features the top teams from the Americas.

Host United States were given the top seed in Group A, while Argentina -- the highest FIFA-ranked nation in the Americas -- will be seeded at the top of Group D. Brazil and Mexico are the other two seeded teams and will head Groups B and C, respectively.

All 10 CONMEBOL teams will compete, plus six teams from CONCACAF. The remaining 12 non-seeded teams will be sorted into the four groups in a public draw in early 2016.

The potential Copa America pots should they be based on the FIFA ranking would be: Pot 1: United States, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina; Pot 2: Chile, Colombia, Uruguay and Ecuador; Pot 3: Costa Rica, Paraguay, Peru and Trinidad-Tobago-Haiti winner; Pot 4: Jamaica, Panama-Cuba winner, Bolivia and Venezuela.

The United States will also play in Chicago (June 7) and Philadelphia (June 11) in the group stage.

Argentina will head to Santa Clara (June 6) as well as Chicago (June 10) and Seattle (June 14).

Brazil will travel to Pasadena, California (June 4); Orlando, Florida (June 8.) and Foxborough, Massachusetts (June 12).

Mexico will play its group matches in Phoenix (June 5), Pasadena (June 9) and Houston (June 13).

The four quarterfinals will be played at CenturyLink Field in Seattle; MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey; New England's Gillette Stadium and Levi's Stadium from June 16-18.

The semifinals will be played June 21 and 22 at Houston's NRG Stadium and Chicago's Soldier Field.

The third-place match is set for June 25 in Glendale and the championship will take place June 26 at MetLife Stadium.

Paul Carr @PCarrESPN
Theoretical Centenario pots by FIFA ranking:

1: USA, BRA, MEX, ARG
2: CHI, COL, URU, ECU
3: CRC, PAR, PER, TRI*
4: JAM, PAN*, BOL, VEN

I hope the Soca Warriors who show up on Jan 8th are the ones who we have grown to love in the recent months. One more hurdle to go.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
Co-sign. Jan 8 is the most important day in T&T's recent soccer history.
A win will catapult us into a market that will have lasting impact for years to come. Words cyah describe
and will give the vital prep for the rest of the World Cup campaign and make our young players grow and some will make it bigger.
However, before we get ahead of ourselves, yuh cyah send troops out to fight without taking care of them. Sorry.
It's more symbolic than truly financial for many. KJ & others don't need the money. They are fighting for what is right in our shitty football culture. No stipend deal honored, no game and I say hard luck for all of us lookin' to ride dey back selfishly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:53:15 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
Co-sign. Jan 8 is the most important day in T&T's recent soccer history
A win will catapult us into a market that will have lasting impact for years to come. Words cyah describe.
and will give the vital prep for the rest of the World Cup campaign and make our young players grow and some will make it bigger
However, before we get ahead of ourselves, yuh cyah send troops out to fight without taking care of them. Sorry.
It's more symbolic than truly financial for many. KJ & others don't need the money. They are fighting for what is right in our shitty football
culture. No stipend deal honored, no game and I say hard luck for all of us lookin' to ride dey back selfishly.

Well said Dreamer. There will be a good revenue stream for the federation if they do things right. But first, invest into the players and the return will come.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:50 PM »
Interesting development.. Not sure if this has been posted. Apparently Haiti's coach Marc Collat is now Haiti's "former coach".

http://www.sportsmax.tv/?q=articles/2015/11/27/haiti-football-collat-sacked-national-technical-director

http://haitisports.com/football/256-marc-collat-burst-into-racist-rants-towards-haitians-and-their-country

Collat was fired for the recent results against Costa Rica and Jamaica, and for making remarks about Haitians. There are also rumors that he WASNT BEING PAID. The Haitian federation is scrambling to find a replacement before the Copa playoff.

Collat made Haiti into a good team. Although Haiti lost two key games, the scores were low and the opposition was good.

I know we got problems in our own backyard, but this one may be harder for the Haitian federation to resolve.

Maybe True Haitian could provide us with some background to this development..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:40:32 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 11:12:22 PM »
Call me crazy,  but if we make it I hope we land in ether Brazil or Argentina group. Playing one of these two would be good for T&T football.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
Call me crazy,  but if we make it I hope we land in ether Brazil or Argentina group. Playing one of these two would be good for T&T football.

If we beat Haiti, it appears we will be in the group with Arg., Ecuador, Venezuela. But the way it is looking, it appears we may not be going to that tournament.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:00:59 AM by Deeks »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »

If we beat Haiti, it appears we will be in the group with Arg., Ecuador, Venezuela.
I think if we were to advance, based on our current standings, we'll be drawn from pot 3 with Costa Rica, Paraguay and Peru. So we still wont know who we'll be in our group from pot 1, 2 and 4. All we know if pot 1 is set.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2016 Copa America Centenario
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »
NEW YORK -- The United States will play Colombia, Costa Rica and Paraguay in what appears to be a difficult first-round group in the Centennial Copa America.

In the opener of a special 16-nation tournament the Americans play Colombia on June 3 in Santa Clara, California. The U.S. meets regional rival Costa Rica four days later in Chicago, then closes Group A play against Paraguay in Philadelphia on June 11.

To U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann, the daunting group that emerged from Sunday night's draw at the Manhattan Center reminds him of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, where the U.S. opened with a 2-1 win over Ghana, tied Portugal 2-2 and lost to Germany 1-0, good enough to finish second. The Americans were eliminated with a 2-1 extra-time loss to Belgium in the round of 16.

"It's doable. We had a similar kind of scenario in Brazil, and we went through," Klinsmann said. "First or second with that group is both tremendously fine."

GROUP A
United States
Colombia
Costa Rica
Paraguay

GROUP B
Brazil
Ecuador
Haiti
Peru

GROUP C
Mexico
Uruguay
Jamaica
Venezuela

GROUP D
Argentina
Chile
Panama
Bolivia

Colombia went 3-0 in its group at the World Cup and was knocked out by Brazil in the quarterfinals. Ranked eighth in the world, Colombia has a player pool that includes stars James Rodriguez and Jackson Martinez.

"We know we start right on our toes with the opening whistle in Santa Clara," Klinsmann said.

In a famous match during the group stage of the 1994 World Cup, the U.S. upset the Colombians 2-1 at the Rose Bowl, a result that led 10 days later to the murder of Andres Escobar, a 27-year-old Colombian defender who had deflected a pass from John Harkes into his net for an own goal.

Two years ago, Colombia beat the U.S. 2-1 in an exhibition in London.

"One of the toughest groups because of the history of all the teams involved," Colombia coach Jose Pekerman said.

More at http://www.espnfc.us/copa-america/story/2812551/us-and-mexico-learn-copa-group-opponents

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Copa America Centenario
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »
We could've been in group B, it would've been a dream come for me to see T&T vs Brazil....ah still nursing ah tabanca, like Machel say "and ah cyar let go"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda......
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
I so forkane vex eh...

We coulda...woulda...shoulda....be looking at Copa America Group B like this

Brazil
Ecuador
Haiti    Trinidad & Tobago
Peru

we woulda be playing Brazil......FORKANE BRAZIL YUH KNOW.......in Orlando at de Citrus Bowl.   Neymar and krew

Instead....we hadda stay home and wrinch and bawl out like a pathetic jilted lover......."IT SHOULDA BEEN WE"!

And is not like we didn't have chances eh........5....FIVE....CINQ....CINCO.....五....FORKANE CHANCES TO QUALIFY and we FORK UP ALL?????

:banginghead: :banginghead: :banginghead:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda......
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »
Literally every time I see news on de Copa America Centenario, I does steups. It bother meh more dan getting knock out by Guyana during 2014 World Cup qualification.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »
Well I'm relived to hear it's not just me...I really don't think I could even watch Copa America, hopefully by summer it changes.

Up to Saturday night, I ran into a guy who owns a bar that hosts the US Outlaws, he looked at me all excited and said this summer T&T Copa America.....when I told him we lost the playoff spot to Haiti de man was stunned yes. He was like what??? Haiti???

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
Steeps, doh start meh nah, like a bad ting u in love wid, tabbanca rite tru
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »
I like Hart and I hope he learns, but his careful approach was a big decision for us not being there.

When you have an understrength Haitian team to beat, you pile it on them.

Then after a certain period he was hoping for extra time.

Youthman Neveal Hackshaw should not have been on the field in a must win game and you have players like Cato, Winchester and Guerra on the bench. Hackshaw didn't cover his man and he scored after chasing him down from midfield.

Hyland or Boucaud should have made way.

Peltier was another one, yes, he fought hard but added nothing going forward and gave away a few important passes. This was a player who one time used his pace to unsettle teams, now he is a shadow of himself.

Aubrey David should have replaced Mitchell after that head butt he got.

I know you guys will string me for this, but I say it like it is, Hart got this one wrong.

Still love him as our coach, but he needs to stop with his hoping not to lose approach.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
We went into that game underestimating Haiti and mentally unprepared ... and it showed throughout the game. Haiti wanted it more than us and they deserve to be in Copa. Let our players watch Copa and weep from home.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
We went into that game underestimating Haiti and mentally unprepared ... and it showed throughout the game. Haiti wanted it more than us and they deserve to be in Copa. Let our players watch Copa and weep from home.

Agree. Haiti had no preperation and a coach that was hired about a month before the game. Though it hurts that we aren't the players have no one to blame but themselves.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »
What tournament is this? Never heard of it.  :notlistening:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
I have no f---king interest in this. DELETE THIS THREAD, PLEASE, SIL VOUS PLAIT, POR FAVOR

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
We went into that game underestimating Haiti and mentally unprepared

Breds, I digress here. You really feel TT does take any Haitian and JA team lightly. Never. They just were not good that night.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:56 PM »
Breds, I digress here. You really feel TT does take any Haitian and JA team lightly. Never. They just were not good that night.

EXACTLY!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »
We went into that game underestimating Haiti and mentally unprepared

That is an easy question. And the answer is yes and YES! I have seen different T&T teams take Haiti lightly in the past and paid the price. Same with taking Cuba lightly in the past and having suffered the unexpected outcome.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 11:50:49 PM »
Underestimating NO. mentally unprepared Yes!

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
I saw the draw and it was disappointing not seeing T&T there.

T&T doesn't do well in games they need to win.

Since Hart have been coach he has won one important game and that was the last one against Guatemala.

Since the match against USA you could tell that the team were being held back.

I do not blame him because he doesn't get the warm up required to fix these problems but I do blame him for working under these conditions.

Under Jack Warner T&T was always a better team.

Under Jack, T&T have been to 5 youth world cups and one senior.

T&T hosted 2 (men u17 & women u20) and qualify for 2 under 20 (Portugal & Egypt), one under 17 in S.Korea and a senior in Germany.

Give credit where credit is due.

This is will never happen again.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 01:36:58 AM »
Steeps, doh start meh nah, like a bad ting u in love wid, tabbanca rite tru
this is so true, was engaged to a slag and stayed with her for five years, it was the most painful five years of my life. And trini football kind of reminds me of that slag.just like I had no faith in her I have no faith in Trinidad footballers.

1]; } ?>