March 28, 2024, 07:22:28 PM

Author Topic: The gap in CONCACAF closes?  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The gap in CONCACAF closes?
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
Nice to see CFU teams making a mark in CONCACAF at the 2015 Gold Cup.

T&T vs Mexico - One of the best comebacks ever, most goals scored against the 6 time champs and most entertaining game ever.

Jamaica vs USA - Biggest shock thus far. Jamaica have benefited from its well run and supported program.

Haiti vs Honduras & Panama - Another big shock. Haiti was supposed to be the whipping boys of this group.

Cuba vs Guatemala - Close in terms of teams but well represented. Who knows what would have happened if some of their better players hadn't defected.

Both T&T and Jamaica top their groups for the first time ever.

First time in history 4 CFU teams made it into the quarter-finals at the same time.

Jamaica has made it into the finals for the first time.

USA has never lost to a CONCACAF team (except Mexico) in the history of the Gold Cup.

Wells done, we can only build from here.

World Cup qualifiers will be interesting.

I hope all relevant authorities prepare well.

Would be nice to see 2 CFU teams in the World Cup.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:33:20 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The gap in CONCACAF closes.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
Nice to see CFU teams making a mark in CONCACAF at the 2015 Gold Cup.

T&T vs Mexico - One of the best comebacks ever, most goals scored against the 6 time champs and most entertaining game ever.

Jamaica vs USA - Biggest shock thus far. Jamaica have benefited from its well run and supported program.

Haiti vs Honduras & Panama - Another big shock. Haiti was supposed to be the whipping boys of this group.

Cuba vs Guatemala - Close in terms of teams but well represented. Who knows what would have happened if some of their better players hadn't defected.

Both T&T and Jamaica top their groups for the first time ever.

First time in history 4 CFU teams made it into the quarter-finals at the same time.

Jamaica has made it into the finals for the first time.

USA has never lost to a CONCACAF team (except Mexico) in the history of the Gold Cup.

Wells done, we can only build from here.

World Cup qualifiers will be interesting.

I hope all relevant authorities prepare well.

Would be nice to see 2 CFU teams in the World Cup.

Key for us
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
I hate Jamaica but for de first time ah glad them f00ckers beat USA, even though Jamaica start 7 foreign born players and play 9 all together who eh even know they anthem. But credit to the team.

That Zardes fella was getting to much hipe and he is a shit hound, Yedlin overrated, Guzan is tutu, Beckerman is a fake Beckham, Diskerud look like a tired number 10 and Dempsey is a racist pig.

De TTFA plan a game vs Mexico in Sept, so at least we have something to look forward to, ah hope we get a few more games. Kudos to the TTFA.

We went into this tournament as de most unprepared team and did good.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »
Time to rotate the Gold Cup host country, and make North American teams play each other for 2.5 spots.  Let Canada play UNCAF or CFU for a spot.
No other confed championship has 1 host.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »
The announcers were saying that maybe the U.S. 6-0 over Cuba was too easy a prep. for this semi. On the other, JA had a very tough game against Haiti, which prepared them for this game. Congrats to them. Defensively, they are a hard nut to crack.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
I hate Jamaica but for de first time ah glad them f00ckers beat USA, even though Jamaica start 7 foreign born players and play 9 all together who eh even know they anthem. But credit to the team.

Just say congrats and Stop talking BS. When was the last time you sacrifice anything for your country the way these players sacrifice for Jamaica? What have you contributed to your country recently hypocrite? I bet you don't even live in the Caribbean.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:29:41 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:42:08 PM »
Maybe he should dig up the history of some of the US players.  ;)
jjbrown

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »
Congrats is in  order to Reggaefan and  the J.A national team  and staff   ....Congratulation  . and best wishes in sunday's final.... time to  do yuh ting  ...  congrats again

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
Said this early on... My congrats went out to JA on the other thread...

They played with passion and pride...

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 04:24:13 AM »
Said this early on... My congrats went out to JA on the other thread...

They played with passion and pride...
controversal how could you play with passion in 100 degree weather and two days rest after such a grueling game three days before? now now mate be reasonable. we managed to hold down panama who had two more days to recover and we actually scored on them, a team that mecixo had a hard time scoring on from open play. say what you like but i thought it was an absolute miracle that no one died from the heat on sunday. i was in the stands and had to run indoors in the AC because i thought i was going to faint that's how hot it was. after the mexico ticos game i had to walk at least 15 minutes to get to our ride and i felt like i was going to faint, could you imagine how the lads felt? lighten up will you.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 04:57:47 AM »
I have had this feeling all along during the tournament that it was rigged so that USA and MEX meet in the finals.  It usually is a ratings bonanza and major returns on attendance, but I guess they never thought US was going to get knocked out by Jamaica. Mex seems to pull through by hook or crook.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 05:11:57 AM »
Fifa needs to sanction the appalling display by Mexican fans by fining the Federation and or banning Mexico from international competition for a year   >:(
MEX and USA showed their flaws in glaring fashion and I hope we get past this passive and submissive approach when we face them in the future. First and foremost we need to be physically ready in terms of fitness and take the game to them at the first whistle. If it were not for Haiti's inability to finish, the US could have been beaten when they faced them, because Haiti went after them with wave after wave of attacks down the flanks.
I have seen now in the tournament that US and MEX have grown so accustomed to each other's style of play that they were not expecting TRI JA OR HAITI to be such threats. The common factors I observed from the Caribbean teams were speed, physical strength and unpredictability. I am looking forward to the Qualifiers and hope it is MEX and US struggling to get in the top 3

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:00 AM »
One Commentator said Good coaching is the reason for closing the gap in CONCACAF, Preparation was the key for Jamaica's  success. Fail to prepare- prepare to fail. I hope Jamaica win the Cup. They look steady and comfortable at the back and confident going forward.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 07:04:52 AM »
Maybe the gap closed for this tournament. If this happens for the WC and the next 2 GCs then we can say, yes, we on par with them. If the various Caribbean countries get 1/3 of the resources Mex and US get, to prepare their teams, then will see a real shake up. TT will continue to struggle as long as this impasse continues. Really it was funny to see Klinnmans is a state of despair. And yes, the tournament is geared for Mex and US to meet in the final. This tournament is about making money. It is held every 2 years. It is not rigged. We need some more display like JA, Haiti and TT to upset the status quo. We have to earn respect.

The players have a say in this now. They either put up or shut up. Not being disrespectful to them. Form your players association. Go to TTFA and MoS, and give them an ultimatum. Fix it or we walk. At least you guys have a job playing football. Not like Sammy Llwelyn, Buggy Haynes, Chris Pierre, Nobby Phillips and some I can't remember. These men use to sacrifice and play, and hardly ever get compensation. And I am sure most times they got none at all.

The players also have to done individual training to build their strength and stamina. Proper diet, sleep, less alcohol and friggin weed. Many of them need to spend some time in the weight room. The TT team is a 60 mins team. The game is 90 + 30 if you were to get thru the first round.

The pro clubs have to step up their product also. Our local guys are not ready for this type of competition. Or at least prove us wrong in the upcoming Club championship. If some of the foreign players are not regular starters in their clubs and get get priority over local players, then that shows that the standard of the pro leagues as a lot of kvetching up to do.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:06:32 AM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:38 AM »
Deeks, perhaps it can't be stated that the tournament is rigged, but it can be stated that there are indicia of there not being a level playing field.

It is the specter of these inequities that raises the question of "preferred" outcomes.

Also, considering lessons from the WWC and CONCACAF's not so sparklingly bright history... tarnished to be fair... there is sufficient doubt as to entirely benevolent outcomes.

All is not well with the Gold Cup.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 07:27:12 AM »
Here's the reality check:

Gold Cup finalists:
Jamaica and Panama or Mexico

T&T drew with Jamaica in November (lost on penalties)
T&T drew with Mexico last week
T&T drew with Panama this week (lost on penalties)

Imagine if we could plan better (TTFA & MoS) if we could attract sponsorship to prepare better, if we could field a fully fit first choice squad.

WC18 starts in November.

I'm feeling confident!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
Maybe the gap closed for this tournament. If this happens for the WC and the next 2 GCs then we can say, yes, we on par with them. If the various Caribbean countries get 1/3 of the resources Mex and US get, to prepare their teams, then will see a real shake up. TT will continue to struggle as long as this impasse continues. Really it was funny to see Klinnmans is a state of despair. And yes, the tournament is geared for Mex and US to meet in the final. This tournament is about making money. It is held every 2 years. It is not rigged. We need some more display like JA, Haiti and TT to upset the status quo. We have to earn respect.

The players have a say in this now. They either put up or shut up. Not being disrespectful to them. Form your players association. Go to TTFA and MoS, and give them an ultimatum. Fix it or we walk. At least you guys have a job playing football. Not like Sammy Llwelyn, Buggy Haynes, Chris Pierre, Nobby Phillips and some I can't remember. These men use to sacrifice and play, and hardly ever get compensation. And I am sure most times they got none at all.

The players also have to done individual training to build their strength and stamina. Proper diet, sleep, less alcohol and friggin weed. Many of them need to spend some time in the weight room. The TT team is a 60 mins team. The game is 90 + 30 if you were to get thru the first round.

The pro clubs have to step up their product also. Our local guys are not ready for this type of competition. Or at least prove us wrong in the upcoming Club championship. If some of the foreign players are not regular starters in their clubs and get get priority over local players, then that shows that the standard of the pro leagues as a lot of kvetching up to do.

Thank you brother....  :applause: :applause:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
Here's the reality check:

Gold Cup finalists:
Jamaica and Panama or Mexico

T&T drew with Jamaica in November (lost on penalties)
T&T drew with Mexico last week
T&T drew with Panama this week (lost on penalties)

Imagine if we could plan better (TTFA & MoS) if we could attract sponsorship to prepare better, if we could field a fully fit first choice squad.

WC18 starts in November.

I'm feeling confident!!

TT can and will qualify in the top 3 for the WC if they get the right prep...

The mos and ttfa need to get their act sorted... More so the ttfa.. TK and Phillips needs to go..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:43:41 AM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
Deeks, perhaps it can't be stated that the tournament is rigged, but it can be stated that there are indicia of there not being a level playing field.

It is the specter of these inequities that raises the question of "preferred" outcomes.

Also, considering lessons from the WWC and CONCACAF's not so sparklingly bright history... tarnished to be fair... there is sufficient doubt as to entirely benevolent outcomes.

I agree... But if people have not noticed, since this Fifa corruption case has been blown wide open, there seems to be a quiet awakening...
Expect the unexpected...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:49 AM »
One Commentator said Good coaching is the reason for closing the gap in CONCACAF, Preparation was the key for Jamaica's  success. Fail to prepare- prepare to fail. I hope Jamaica win the Cup. They look steady and comfortable at the back and confident going forward.

TT has always been head and shoulders above the rest in talent, even this current team has more talent than JA but coaching was always our problem, coupled with discipline and prep...

What is now needed is prep... TT have the money to fund this team and get them prepared, time to stop the excuses and get them what they deserve..

This team has the talent to make the big dance

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 07:57:25 AM »
JA look determined and have a steady defense for the most part. those tough matches at copa america really add some grit to this team.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »
The ref for the Mexico games vs Costa Rica and Panama was paid off.

I hope their FA's take this matter to FIFA.

I T&T played the way they did in the Gold Cup for the upcoming world cup qualifiers, we will surely grab one of the top three spots, but we must prepare well, its not going to be easy.

Fitness, experiece and depth is the key.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
The ref for the Mexico games vs Costa Rica and Panama was paid off.

I hope their FA's take this matter to FIFA.

I T&T played the way they did in the Gold Cup for the upcoming world cup qualifiers, we will surely grab one of the top three spots, but we must prepare well, its not going to be easy.

Fitness, experiece and depth is the key.

:beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »

You know Seeker, it really don't matter how the tournament is set up. As long as the Caribbean teams come prepared, at least one will cause an upset. And in the very near future we may se an all Caribbean final or a Car vs Central Amer. final. It would have been nice to see JA vs Panama. But the Canaleros lost their cool with those two pks. The first, to me was dubious. Maybe the ref was not in the right position. The second was 60/40 in favor of the pk.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »

Breds, you should have heard Alexi. He was livid. I can't remember exactly what he said. It was understood that US should not have lost against JA, especially with all the resources and preps. that they had. He is clearly pointing a finger at Klinnsman.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:27:48 AM by Deeks »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
Yeah I doubt Lalas sleep last night.  Good for them with their arrogant entitled mentality.
Talkin about USA with a 65% chance of winning the cup, and an 85% chance of beating Jamaica.
This is from their polls conducted on their American website, and reporting it like it has some relevance.

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »
From what I have witnessed from Jamaica, T&T and Haiti, we might be able to get 3 in the  Concacaf final round and 2 into the 2018 the world cup. Going to Jamaica, Haiti and T&T to play on their home turf won't be an easy task for countries like the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama. CFU will no longer be fighting for the .5 spot, they will also be fighting for the first 3 spots.  I think at this point, the 2018 world is wide open. Mexico, US, Costa Rica and Honduras are longer the automatic favorites to get in..

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »
The difference between world cup qualifiers and a tournament such as the Gold Cup is that in tournament situations, players have more time to develop team chemistry, the coaches have more time to get accords his tactics to the players etc.  In world cup qualifiers, players come together for 2-3 days before a game, then they go away and come back 2 months later, coach has to start all over again.

Schaeffer had the reggae boys together for close to a month... they gelled, they got to know each other on and off the field.  This has traditionally been a problem for Jamaica given that 95% of our players play in overseas leagues.

Bottom line is,  Caribbean teams can match the bigger teams in the region if the coaches get enough time with the players. When Jamaica qualified for France, 80% of the players lived together, trained regularly... as 80% of the team was based in Jamaica. Fast different scenario in Todays game.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
RF makes good points regarding the WC qualifier. It can also be likened to a league over a cup run. Anybody can win a Cup depending on form and luck. The league is the true test as to who is the best, in each country.

The big sides tend to last the course because of the depth in their squad.

TnT and JA: a few injuries here and there, a few players benching for their club sides, a red card and suspension along the way and that rhythm lost. Same as a side like Southampton looking good until January but people knowing they can't last the distance.

Mexico and USA are a class above, despite their failure in this cup. This is just based on their organisation and resources. Big sides who have their players only concentrating on football. Them men have their own cooks, their nutritionists, their sleep monitors, measurements of how much energy players expend per game etc

In terms of talent, yeah, we may have it...but we will still be fighting up amongst ourselves for that third spot.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 10:43:18 PM »

Agreed.  International coaches are not expected to teach players to improve technically.  They don't have enough days with their respective national teams per year for that sort of thing.  Problem is that in truth, we don't have a truly professional league:  the facilities are substandard, the coaching is 10-15 years behind, in terms of scientific approach, and there isn't enough depth in squads, so "star boy" players are not pushed enough, and bad habits are enabled.

1]; } ?>