April 28, 2024, 06:03:00 PM

Author Topic: Cameron Roget signs in Finland  (Read 2632 times)

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cameron Roget signs in Finland
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:04:48 AM »
Cameron Roget signs in Finland
T&T Express

Twenty-three year-old former St Ann’s striker Cameron Roget  has signed a professional football contract with Sporting Kristina in Finland.

Roget, a former Trinidad and Tobago Under-23 striker, is one of four new players signed by the small Finnish club,  which plays in a 2,000 capacity stadium in the third tier of Finnish football. Also signed are two Americans, including  former MLS club Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Scott Angevine.

Rangers administrator Richard Piper remembers Roget as a decent young man and a definite attacker. Piper described him as an asset during his time with Rangers between 2011-2013.

Roget was a member of the T&T Under-23 team seeking to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics. He scored in a 4-0 victory over Dominica prior to the Pan American Games in Mexico where T&T drew their three preliminary round qualifiers against Uruguay, Mexico and Ecuador.

Roget signed a three-year contract with Rangers after the tournament, but was released when he indicated an interest in furthering his studies.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:17:17 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron Roget signs in Finland
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »
Good luck to the youngster, but several statements in this article disturb me:

small Finnish club,  which plays in a 2,000 capacity stadium in the third tier of Finnish football. Is this really the best level of football that he could find as a National U23 player? Playing in this league will not improve his chances of a call up by Stephen Hart. Playing in the Pro League is a far better standard.

but was released when he indicated an interest in furthering his studies But he's not "furthering his studies". He had a three year contract and should not be able to sign with anyone, anywhere. Maybe he changed his mind, but Rangers should have had the first option to bring him back.

Obviously I don't know the conversations that were held (if any). But I do think there are players being badly advised out there. Finland seems to be the new Vietnam. Their 1st division isn't bad and gives a chance of European exposure, but the lower divisions are a step back in my opinion.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
not sure about advice in here (your's) either...but that's something we can discuss later..
 ;D

on point one...At 23,he's not making our snr National team..i can say that for a fact, not even seeing him play...I won't call all the name in front of him at present.

on point two..at 23, he has to start looking at a payday, with a possibilty of getting a transfer to a higher payday...it's not going to happen in the PFL top tier. it's not about development..there are guys way ahead development wise, and talent wise, and not going nowhere fast..there are a few National players on your team, that came back home..scoring lottsa goals, and can't get a big contract outside..they come back to develop some more ? On the broken contract issue, i agree..however, ppl will alays find some loophole to get out.. what he shouldn't have done was sign for such a long period...but who is to know..maybe he studying culutures or different systems ;)
maybe the pro league will give more football development, but experiencing other ppl, cultures. amongst others as well as environmental obstacles, sometimes...sometimes more beneficial to life development, if not football.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »
Gotta agree with FS here - Third division in Finland? He'll never get found there unless he gets promotions back-to-back. If, however, it's a move for himself to a country that might offer him more employment or better options for his family when he settles down, then it's more understandable.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
Agree with MaxG

23 n in the PFL and not on the natl team radar?

Gets an opportunity somehow to play in Europe and experience a diff. life?
Only time will tell if he's good enough to play for a team in a higher division or another neighboring country

The PFL and national setup is def. not paying well, and I believe these players going to Finland, Kazakhstan and Vietnam for example are rightly looking out for their best interests and making the best move for them.

And...T&T is not a big name on the world stage, so to expect our players to be seen more regularly in the bigger leagues like La Liga and EPL is living in a fantasy land.

We can strive for it but realistically we are not at that level.
On the odd occasion we may hv a player who can make it and even when they do (See Hyland, Peltier), it seems like they are coming up just short of making the step up to the next level

So i agree again with Roget's move.
Highly likely it was a move for financial reasons n personal growth
so best of luck to him

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
on point one...At 23,he's not making our snr National team..i can say that for a fact, not even seeing him play...I won't call all the name in front of him at present.
  Exactly my point. And he won't make it from the Finnish 3rd Division!

on point two..at 23, he has to start looking at a payday, with a possibilty of getting a transfer to a higher payday...it's not going to happen in the PFL top tier. I feel that is completely incorrect. If he stands out in the PFL he has a decent chance of making at least the top Finnish league!

there are a few National players on your team, that came back home..scoring lottsa goals, and can't get a big contract outside I agree it may appear that way, however, transfer windows are currently closed. You may wish to revisit the statement come July, which would be a fairer time to assess player movements. Also, T&T national players would be smarter to wait until after the Argentina & Iran games.

Speaking to players who have played in Finland, yes, the money is better than T&T, but it's not an environment best suited to Caribbean players (and I don't just mean the weather!)

I actually met a player who became ill in Finland. He wasn't aware that he had S.A.D. (a disease where a lack of sunlight reduces your vitamin D levels and can lead to softening of your bones, depression and tiredness). Because there are months without sunlight, the condition, though mild in other climates, really affected his performance in Finland. (Well, that's the excuse he gave me  :devil:)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
Oddly enough, regular physical exercise is one of the treatments used to combat this disorder.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
  Exactly my point. And he won't make it from the Finnish 3rd Division!
[i]You assume, he setting sights on making the Ntnl team. When every indication to me (and maybe him) is there a long line ahead of him. So doesn't matter where he ply his skill. He get somebody to pay him, and he trying something different, before he get to old. Nothing wrong with that. Or he could just be another role player in TT. He could be a medium size fish in a lil pond for a lil while.[/i]on point two..at 23, he has to start looking at a payday, with a possibilty of getting a transfer to a higher payday...it's not going to happen in the PFL top tier. I feel that is completely incorrect. If he stands out in the PFL he has a decent chance of making at least the top Finnish league!
IF he stands out in the PFL..he's been there, done that, got left in the dust of PFL.. Playing for a team tht has no stars and getting beaten by everyone. W, Stars nor Central came calling..How long a youth should hold his breath for, especially when not only it have obviously more preferred talent locally, but now the stars(or National team top players) coming home to roost too. Here's another big IF that don't happen everyday..If you get a little opportunity to see a little piece of the world before 27, i would say in this case take it.
there are a few National players on your team, that came back home..scoring lottsa goals, and can't get a big contract outside I agree it may appear that way, however, transfer windows are currently closed. You may wish to revisit the statement come July, which would be a fairer time to assess player movements. Also, T&T national players would be smarter to wait until after the Argentina & Iran games.

Yeah, but he's not a National player, he didn't get any pick up. So good..again IF a TT Ntl player gets a call..but we went to a WORLD CUP..and I think only Whitley get a bly, and he couldn't hack it, the rest continued to thread water for ahile wherever they were. Our greatest ever goal scorer get dumped..so what is a average youth with a small opportunity to experience something must wait on ?
Speaking to players who have played in Finland, yes, the money is better than T&T, but it's not an environment best suited to Caribbean players (and I don't just mean the weather!)

Sounds like a opportunity for a life learning experience to me. Plenty ppl/youths actually dying in TT more than in Finland. If things don't go well, there is always an option. Check JanI actually met a player who became ill in Finland. He wasn't aware that he had S.A.D. (a disease where a lack of sunlight reduces your vitamin D levels and can lead to softening of your bones, depression and tiredness). Because there are months without sunlight, the condition, though mild in other climates, really affected his performance in Finland. (Well, that's the excuse he gave me  :devil:)

Craps happens everywhere, look at the Akeem piece of sadness. Does that mean he shouldn't have gone ? Of course, all kind of negatives can go down regrdless of where you are. Does that mean we should lock ourselves up and not try to go for something we can get a grasp at ? I might simply have a dream of playing foreign..and only Hard Rock FC (Grenada) call me, offer me a little contract..I should say no, i waiting for who again ? For me depending on my age, and what I see around me, Grenada might be as foreign as i can get. but that is just me, living in the cold here, i learn to appreciate little things..it made me appreciate how good i had it in the warmth.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:41:33 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
sorry that whole last sequence got confusing..should have done that better..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
sorry that whole last sequence got confusing..should have done that better..

I'm not saying the man shouldn't go if he believes that's the best he can achieve. Maybe he peaked at 22? Clubs aren't allowed to approach players contracted to other clubs so they can't "come calling". But, if you can find a club in Finland, I'm sure you could find a way to talk to other Pro League clubs (maybe he did, but I don't remember any contact with Central)
I suspect he jumped into Rangers and then realised that it was a bad career move. Many of Rangers best players left and he was trapped. (again, I'm just guessing) We actively searched for former internationals and U23's, but Roget would not have been available.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:31 PM »
so lets look at it another way...as i didn't single out Central..was Central even interested ? Pre-Plaza et al...would he have given Winchester or Quint a run for their money, even if he was available...not the way I heard you and everyone else say.. No one was interested, no was talking him up, I never hear the man name mentioned once..and he get an out and an opportunity, that many not being offered (and shouldn't consider according to you) and he shouldn't try something different..and kudos for Rangers for allowing everything...and now you saying ppl might of had advised him wrong ? nah..the fella was going nowhere on a slow boat..if he can be get even a little self esteem, and still get paid, i say, grab with both hands..  Now that I think i understand your points, i think your advice might not be in his best interest. but , i have been wrong before.. Yet, Given it's a done deal..I wish him best of luck, and hope he can continue to display, that very good players come from our country...Today's 3 rd Div team, might be premier in 2 years, sports funny like that sometimes,... u must of known the story of Duke Latas in Scotland & a prince in Portugal...he went an play in a JA league and in Canada..and he was a cream of the crop in TT,luckily it work out .. I wish the guy get to learn/study a few things at the foreign grass roots, and come back an implement some of that knowledge.....but of course, nobody might listen..after all, by then he will be foreigner from a nobody league.."the road is long, with many a winding turn, that leads to who, know where".  Good luck Mr Roget, big step as far as i concerned, stay brave

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
Cameron Roget has signed with Finnish Division 1 club, Vasa IFK.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »

If you stand out in the lower leagues, the bigger clubs will call.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

If you stand out in the lower leagues, the bigger clubs will call.

Congratulations Cameron. One of the worst decisions you've ever made was to join the pro league and the St Ann Rangers. It is a deadbeat club with a deadbeat owner playing in a deadbeat league controlled by a deadbeat commissioner. Simultaneously, one of the best decisions you've ever made was to leave all of them behind you. After seeing you play a couple of times for the under 20s I thought you were better than that and I was right. Keep on improving your game and take nothing for granted. Train everyday like it's your last because that is the only way you will get better. The sky is the limit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:46:55 AM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »

Happy to know that his decision to go Division 3 has proven a prudent one. 

1]; } ?>