April 24, 2024, 04:16:00 PM

Author Topic: Steve David’s son, Tyler David, hoping MLS calls his name  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve David’s son, Tyler David, hoping MLS calls his name
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:03:19 PM »
Lakeville's Tyler David hoping MLS calls his name
By Andy Greder (Pioneer Press)

Tyler David was a standout midfielder on Lakeville North's boys soccer teams before graduating in 2012. At Saint Louis University, he moved to center back defender for four solid seasons through 2015. At this week's Major League Soccer player combine, David slid over to right back.

That versatility might make David a pick in this week's MLS SuperDraft in Baltimore.

Defender Eric Miller of Woodbury, currently training with the U.S. men's national team, is the most notable Minnesotan recently selected, fifth overall in 2014 by the Montreal Impact.

The first two rounds of the draft, comprising the first 40 picks, will be held Thursday. David is more likely to be selected during the third and fourth rounds on Tuesday.

"Tyler's best quality was that he had a little bit of everything," Saint Louis coach Mike McGinty said. "He wasn't terribly flashy (coming out of Lakeville North). Nothing really jumped out at you. (But) the more you watched him, he was really good all around."

Although Minnesota United FC reps were in Lauderhill, Fla., to watch David and others at the combine, the club won't be participate in this year's draft. An announcement on when the second-division team will make the jump to the top domestic league, in 2017 or 2018, has yet to be made.

MLS analyst Matthew Doyle lists David as the third-best center back available, and defenders are considered an area of need throughout the league.

"A four-year starter at a college that produces pros, and his soccer upbringing is legit," Doyle wrote at mlssoccer.com. "David played some (defensive midfielder) in college, but he's a pure center back in MLS."

David's father, Steve David, played for the Trinidad and Tobago national team and won the North American Soccer League's MVP award in 1975.

"His father was a fabulous player," said his mother, Jenny, who played club soccer in Arizona.

Saint Louis is a bit of a factory for future pro players. The Billikens have three players in top international leagues and five across MLS. Alums Jack Jewsbury and Anthony Manning won the MLS Cup with the Portland Timbers in December.

"We've had more professional soccer players than any team in the country outside of UCLA," McGinty said . "We develop pros very consistently. I'm excited that (David) will be a part of the next group."

Still, David's odds of making an immediate impact in MLS are long. About half of the drafted players make rosters the following season.

However, David's interview with the New York Red Bulls revealed their desire to see him play on the right side. David, who is 6-2, 185 pounds, played the majority of three games at the combine on the right side.

"It was pretty positive for me," David said. "Most teams know that I'm a center back, but they also could see I could do the job at right back."

At Saint Louis, David scored three goals in four seasons but provided leadership and toughness on a back line that was among Atlantic 10 Conference leaders in shutouts in 2013 and 2014.

"I think he can play a couple of positions" in MLS, McGinty said. "I think he can solve a couple of things. ... He's an intelligent person. If given the opportunity, he just kind of finds a way."

David graduated with a degree in business administration and was a finalist for the NCAA's Senior Class Award for excellence in the community, on the field and in the classroom.

David flew back to Lakeville and hopes his name will be called in the MLS draft.

"I'm obviously a little nervous going into it because you never know what could happen and what teams are thinking necessarily," David said. "But I feel like I will get a chance to go somewhere."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Steve David’s son, Tyler David, hoping MLS calls his name
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:30:51 AM »
Hmm funny how these guys never suit up for us ...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:33:57 AM by Trini _2018 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 07:13:10 AM »
Hmm funny how these guys never suit up for us ...

Why?

Tell me one reason?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:33:08 AM »
Has he suited up for the US? Or have they called him up? I heard Steve had a son, but this is the first time I am hearing about him playing and also his name. Tyler will make up his own mind. Which ever way he goes, I do hope We respect his decision. We now waiting for Archie's son or grandson to appear on the scene.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
Has he suited up for the US? Or have they called him up? I heard Steve had a son, but this is the first time I am hearing about him playing and also his name. Tyler will make up his own mind. Which ever way he goes, I do hope We respect his decision. We now waiting for Archie's son or grandson to appear on the scene.

One can only hope eh.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:57:49 PM »
Has he suited up for the US? Or have ye they called him up? I heard Steve had a son, but this is the first time I am hearing about him playing and also his name. Tyler will make up his own mind. Which ever way he goes, I do hope We respect his decision. We now waiting for Archie's son or grandson to appear on the scene.
Could swear we spoke about this kid in arizona  a few years ago .
Anyway its  kinda exciting having these two progenies coming along , I am thinking now if Nick had joined us 2 years ago he would've been leaps ahead off where he is now.
Hopefully Tyler don't waste 5 years waiting for the USA call up , and just jumps into the fray of concacaf and the World Cup .

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
Anyway its  kinda exciting having these two progenies coming along , I am thinking now if Nick had joined us 2 years ago he would've been leaps ahead off where he is now.
Hopefully Tyler don't waste 5 years waiting for the USA call up , and just jumps into the fray of concacaf and the World Cup .
Maybe you're thinking of Nick because he grew up in Arizona as well and I remembered we did a story on him 2-3 years ago.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:38:48 AM »
Maybe you're thinking of Nick because he grew up in Arizona as well and I remembered we did a story on him 2-3 years ago.
Maybe it was Nick because this is the only tread on Tyler .

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:30 AM »
Did any team ink Tyler ?.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
Taken today by the Vancouver Whitecaps in the 4th round. 77th overall.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »
Taken today by the Vancouver Whitecaps in the 4th round. 77th overall.
That's very good, congrats to the young man.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »
Tyler David wants to play for T&T.

Confirmed !!!!

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »
Nice  , how old is Tyler btw .

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tyler David signs with Saint Louis FC
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 05:53:46 AM »
TYLER DAVID Signed

http://saintlouisfc.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20160306o2p6oy

Saint Louis FC Roster Continues to Grow

Mar 06, 2016   
ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis FC continues to add to its roster as it announced today the signing of two new players.  AJ Cochran, a defender and native of St. Louis and Tyler David, a midfielder who played collegiately for Saint Louis University, are the newest members of STLFC.

AJ Cochran suited up for St. Louis Scott Gallagher as a youth player and played his high school soccer for Christian Brothers College where he was an All-American and the Gatorade Player of the Year in Missouri his senior year.  Cochran was voted an All-American again in college while playing for the University of Wisconsin.  Also voted the Big Ten Defender of the Year in 2013, Cochran scored three goals and helped lead the defense to seven shutouts.  After his junior year at UW, Cochran joined the Generation Adidas program with Major League Soccer and on January 16, 2014, the Houston Dynamo made him the 16th overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft. 

In two seasons with Houston, Cochran made 26 appearances with 19 starts.  Of the 1,882 minutes Cochran accumulated in his career with Houston, 1,370 of them came as a rookie in 2014.

Cochran has also spent time with the U18, U20 and U23 national teams.

"It is great to have AJ Cochran back in St. Louis!" stated Head Coach Dale Schilly.  "Having watched AJ develop over the years, I think Saint Louis FC fans can expect a hard tackling and committed center back who is very brave in the air and a good box defender.  His quality mid range and long range passing will help generate attacks and this addition will be good for all involved as we have quality center backs battling for playing time."

Tyler David is from Minneapolis, Minnesota and appeared in 79 matches and played over 7,300 minutes for SLU from 2012-2015.  Accolades during his tenure as a Billiken include an NSCAA Second Team All-Midwest Region, one First Team All-Atlantic 10 Conference and two Second Team All-Atlantic 10 Conference honors.

David played his club soccer for Minnesota Thunder, where the five-year captain was named the 2011 National American Soccer Player of the Year.

"Tyler is a nice addition." said Schilly.  "Tyler is versatile, having grown up playing as a defensive midfielder and as a center back during his junior and senior seasons at SLU. Tyler has a very good brain and understands starting positions.  He is a good ball winner, good in the air and a very good passer."

The additions of Cochran and David bring the roster of players under contract to 20.  With three weeks remaining in preseason, Saint Louis FC continues its preparation for the USL season opener in Sandy, Utah on March 26.  For more information, including securing tickets for the 2016 season, please contact our Account Executives at 636.680.0997, visit the World Wide Technology Soccer Park box office Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or send an email to tickets@saintlouisfc.com.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:34:11 AM by Tallman »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 07:44:11 AM »

Confirmed !!!!

Anyone knows if how he doing, might worth a call up?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »

Confirmed !!!!

Anyone knows if how he doing, might worth a call up?

Has made 21 appearances this season, but most of them as a sub.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »
Nice, at least he getting sweat.

1]; } ?>