March 28, 2024, 08:30:28 AM

Author Topic: Would our athletes and footballers stand up for our flag like this?  (Read 934 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Greg Rutherford blasts ‘ridiculous’ British kit for world championships

The Olympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford has made a series of stinging criticisms of the redesigned British vest for the World Athletics Championships, which begin in Beijing next week, calling the new kit “ridiculous and wrong” because it omits the famous Union flag.

Not since 1997 has a British athletics competition vest for a major championships not carried the traditional red, white and blue flag somewhere in its design. And Rutherford, who is among the most popular and forthright members of the squad, believes that is a major mistake and says that every athlete he has spoken to agrees with him.

After tweeting a picture of the new kit on Thursday afternoon, Rutherford called the decision “stupid” and jokingly threatened to bring British vests with the flag stitched on it to Beijing with him. “I’m proud to be British, so this is a terrible choice,” he said. “If I could take a flag-loaded British kit with me for everyone I would. This new kit is ridiculous. It isn’t a British kit anymore. It’s promoting British Athletics the company.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/aug/13/greg-rutherford-british-kit-union-flag-world-athletics-championships

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Would our athletes and footballers stand up for our flag like this?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
I remember there was an uproar after the 1989 campaign when the football jersey no longer had the national flag on it. I cant remember if it was just Gally or others as well.

It was then revealed that we are not legally supposed to have the national flag on such things.

Yes, I know i sounding old
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
as far as kits go, it would be nice for JOMA to ramp up the red white n black, after all hitler had the same colors with the swastika and won bess logo award for ww2. I think JOMA lives up to its name,
Just Ordinary Mediocre Average......

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
as far as kits go, it would be nice for JOMA to ramp up the red white n black, after all hitler had the same colors with the swastika and won bess logo award for ww2. I think JOMA lives up to its name,
Just Ordinary Mediocre Average......

You serious, Breds.

1]; } ?>