April 25, 2024, 03:53:23 AM

Author Topic: Why does November 19 resonate more than November 16?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Why does November 19 resonate more than November 16?
« on: August 17, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
I was reading through the David Nakhid thread this weekend....and boy.....it had some real memories on dey...talk bout teef head... :rotfl:

And I was looking at the post dates and realizing it was coming close to the WC playoffs against Bahrain.

I could easily remember November 19.  A day forever etched in my memory.  But I actually had to think about the date for our World Cup qualification which of course was November 16

So it struck me......why was one of....if not....the most happiest day of my life.....seemingly less memorable than one of my most traumatic days?

To add to that, I can't even remember the date we played Sweden.  I know it was sometime in June or July 2006.  And that was a date when tears of pure joy and pride came to my eyes when our national anthem was played.

Is it because the bad stuff stays with you longer than the spectacular stuff?

Thought I would share with forumites to see if it's similar or the same for you

When we qualified that day in Bahrain....I honestly thought November 16 would forever banish the memories of November 19....or at least push them firmly into the recesses on my consciousness. 

Obviously that hasn't happened.  I'm struggling with why that is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:28:29 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Why does November 19 resonate more than November 16?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
The struggle lies in the fact that we knew we were good enough to be there more than once... The loss in Haiti also resonates with me despite the fact I wasn't born yet.. Because we were robbed and would have showed the world our talent and skill... The fact of missing out I believe is strong when it comes to emotions.. Regret, heart break...

I can't lie when we qualified it was a very emotional moment for me and the people closest to me who love TT football and our nation, that first was equally the same, I'm happy my parents were there to witness it as well, since my fathers family has a history in football.. All the matches and meeting members of the board was special, it was a nostalgic feeling unlike any other... I will always cherish that moment and thank god I was there to witness it...

But I believe 2018 will also resonate as strong... God willing when that time comes

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »
Moments that lift spirits of our nation
by Andre Baptiste

As Independence beckons, it is important to identify important and significant dates that should be noted by all of those involved in sports in T&T.

These are dates and months when significant contributions to this country have impacted so much on so many, that maybe some of us, have taken them for granted, or have forgotten their importance

So what follows are some of these, which need to be brought to the attention of a nation, in need of some positivity.

Saturday June 10 2006—Trinidad and Tobago’s Soca Warriors earn a point in their first ever World Cup match, playing with 10 men but holding Sweden to a 0-0 draw.

Tuesday November 15, 2005—Dennis “Tallest “Lawrence climbs above everyone to score the crucial winning goal for Trinidad and Tobago away to Bahrain, from a Dwight Yorke corner in the 49th minute  to ensure T&T qualifies for its first ever World Cup.

Saturday August 11, 2012—Keshorn Walcott sends shockwaves through the London Olympics 2012 when he wins the javelin goal medal with a throw of 84.58 metres. This is only T&T’s second ever gold medal. He becomes the youngest ever Olympic gold medallist in the men’s javelin (19 years and 131 days)

Saturday July 24, 1976—Hasely Crawford wins the Montreal Olympics 100 metres gold medal in a time of 10.06. It is T&T’s   first ever Gold medal in the Olympics.

Monday April 12, 2004—Brian  Lara scores 400 not out against England at the Antigua Recreational Ground to regain the world record for the highest score in Test cricket from Matthew Hayden.

Monday April 18, 1994—Brian  Lara breaks Sir Garry Sobers’ 36-year-old record of 365, scoring 375 at the Antigua Recreational Ground against England.

August 1979—T&T’s netballers, led by Sherrill Peters wins the World Netball title in 1979 (jointly with Australia and New Zealand), becoming the first T&T team to win  a world title.

Tuesday December 2 , 2014—T&T’s female footballers lose 0-1 to Ecuador at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and miss  qualification for a Women’s World Cup.

Thursday August 23, 1973—Bernard Julien scores 121 for the West Indies against England at Lords; it is considered his best innings ever.

Sunday November 19, 1989—T&T’s Strike Squad loses 0-1 to the USA at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and miss World Cup qualification, and the entire country cries in pain

Sunday August 9, 2009—Ato Boldon returns to the track at the World Championships in Athens, after finishing a disappointing 5th in the 100 metres finals, to win the men’s 200 metres giving T&T, its first gold medal at the World Championships.

Wednesday August 14, 2013—Jehue Gordon wins the 400 metres hurdles finals at the World Championships in Moscow, Russia.

Friday October 23, 2009—Daren Ganga leads T&T to the Champions League T20 Finals, where we lose to New South Wales in a close contest; contracts follow for Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine in the IPL thereafter.

Friday August 20, 2004—George Bovell wins bronze in the men’s 200 metres individual medley at the Athens Olympics, in the process claiming T&T’s first Olympic medal in a swimming contest.

Saturday August 16, 2008—Richard Thompson runs 9.89 to place second in the Olympics 100 metres final in Beijing, China behind Usain Bolt.

Sunday March 27, 2006—Stephen Ames wins his first PGA tournament, the Players Championships at Sawgrass in Florida. He finished 14—under 274 and earned $1.44 million US.

Tuesday December 4, 1973—T&T’s footballers lose a crucial game against Haiti 2-1 after scoring five goals, four of which were denied.

Saturday September 12, 1981—Claude Noel fights Mexican boxer Rodolfo Gonzalez for the WBA Lightweight title in Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States and wins a unanimous decision (145-140,145-141, 144-141) and the world title, the first in boxing for this country.

Saturday May 23, 1987—Leslie “Tiger” Stewart defeats Marvin Johnson in Port of Spain; Trinidad to win the WBA World Light Heavyweight title, after his opponent Johnson could not come out for the ninth round.

With the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, schedule in a few days; this would be a great time for our athletes to add to these dates.

It is also important for sporting interest to keep these moments alive through our National Sporting Archives, which is an interesting and informative addition to our sporting landscape but which has been stymied by a lack of funding of late. You can view more about our great moments in sport by logging on to www.sportarchivestt.com. I also hope that those in authority, especially the Ministry of Sport and corporate T&T can align themselves with this very critical project called the National Sporting Archives of T&T.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »
Its the "what if" and "shock" factor...

If we had gone on to Italia 90, our football would have taken off on another level, as it was the golden generation of the late 80's and 90's players, U-20 WC etc. It took us 16 years to recover from that heartbreak, just like it took 16 years to recover from Haiti 74.

We were also supposedly so much better than the US, and end up not only not winning, as were expected to blow them out, and not even drawing, but losing to a real fluksey lob goal..And at home.

In 2006 WCQ, once we got the playoff spot vs Bahrain, we were the favourites over a 2-leg tie. We took care of business.

1]; } ?>