March 28, 2024, 09:34:52 AM

Author Topic: Tobago to get a Pro League club?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tobago to get a Pro League club?
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »
Tobago FC Phoenix 1976
Breaking News: For International Release

American Sports Management Company PMI acquires ownership stake in Tobago FC Phoenix 1976
through innovative partnership connecting Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 to the world

FRISCO, TX _ The next stage of life for Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 includes joining the United States based Playbook Management International (PMI) family.

PMI has partnered with Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 Club Director Terry Williams to develop the new direction and branding for the Caribbean football club. The new partnership took effect on July 1, 2015.

PMI, led by American executive Michael Hitchcock, owns and operates the Fort Worth Vaqueros FC minor league football club. Additionally, PMI holds ownership stakes in professional English club Alfreton Town FC and the Professional Futsal League. PMI utilizes sports technology products such as the PMI Player Marketing System, a cloud based player marketing platform, that will be used to market Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 players to clubs around the world.

Williams said the partnership with Hitchcock and PMI serves as a dream come true for the island based club.
“I can remember the vision of four young boys back in 1974, clearly as it was yesterday and approximately 38 years later, that vision has manifested,” Williams said.

“I am indeed thankful, that Mr. Michael Hitchcock and the team at Playbook Management International, shared our vision and took the opportunity to partner with us to further develop and promote the sporting discipline of football in our beautiful island of Tobago.

“Over the years, Phoenix has produced a cadre of players that had the opportunity to represent their country with pride on the Trinidad & Tobago National Team. Phoenix also boasts the birthplace of international football player Dwight Yorke, as he attended our Academy from the tender age of approximately 7. He further went on to the National Team from the approximate age of 15.”

PMI will bring its knowledge of American sports management principles, technology, marketing, sales and global network of contacts to Tobago. The newly formed partnership will allow for shared ideas, training, players and sponsorships between Texas, Tobago and England.

PMI’s goals for Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 include reaching the highest level of football in the Caribbean, growing the club's successful youth academy and creating opportunities for the Tobago football players to play internationally.

Hitchcock said Tobago has become a special place to him on a personal level due to the people, the food and the culture.

“On a professional level, I believe in Tobago and feel that there is a great business opportunity. It's football in paradise and we have an opportunity to connect Tobago Football to the world,” Hitchcock said.

“Our vision is to become the top football club in the Caribbean. It will take time and lots of hard work but we know that there is a great opportunity to build something very special in Tobago. Terry and the Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 Staff have done an incredible job with the club. We plan to bring additional resources to build on the solid foundation that has been created.

“Full credit to Terry Williams for having the vision and ambition to take this club to the next level; we look forward to being a part of it. The future is bright for football in Tobago.”

Through Match Day Five, Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 is currently unbeaten to start the Trinidad & Tobago National Super League.

SOCIAL MEDIA Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 is launching social media platforms so fans in Tobago and around the world can get all the latest club news and information.

Instagram: TobagoFCPhoenix
Facebook: Tobago FC Phoenix 1976
Twitter: @TobagoPhoenix
Website: Tobago FC Phoenix 1976 will be launching a new website in the near future

ABOUT TOBAGO FC PHOENIX 1976: The club was originally founded by 15-year-old Terry Williams and three friends in 1974 as the “Sand Champs.” The club changed names to Marva’s in 1975 but after a rough year the founders regrouped and launched the new club Phoenix based upon “rising from the ashes” of the previous versions. During its time the club has supported men’s and women’s football teams, basketball teams and swimming teams.

ABOUT PMI: Michael Hitchcock founded PMI in 2009 after a 12-year career in Major League Soccer where he started as an entry-level sales rep and rose to become President and General Manager of FC Dallas. Hitchcock won the MLS Sales Director of the Year 4 times, his sales team won MLS Sales Team of the Year 5 times and he was recognized as the Commissioner’s New Business Leadership Award winner. PMI built and managed the San Antonio Scorpions of the 2nd division NASL and managed the business operations of the NPSL before launching its own club in Fort Worth, Texas called Fort Worth Vaqueros FC. PMI also owns a stake in the English professional club Alfreton Town FC. Hitchcock also serves as president of the Professional Futsal League where PMI is a partner.

ABOUT TERRY WILLIAMS: Williams secured 10 national titles in Tobago while coaching the Bon Accord Government Primary School. Terry’s determination secured him a position on the Trinidad & Tobago’s National Football Team where he proudly represented his community and Tobago from 1985 to 1989.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:48:09 PM by Flex »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Tobago to get a Pro League club?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
LOTS of raw footballing talent in Tobago.  Hopefully this sort of initiative can showcase that talent and demonstrate to Tobago youth that this can be a viable and sustainable career

Massive respect to Terry Williams who has been one of those that work tirelessly and in virtual anonymity doing their bit to keep that fire burning in the sister island.

If this turns out how I hope it can....Trinidad AND Tobago will benefit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:00:24 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »
LOTS of raw footballing talent in Tobago.  Hopefully this sort of initiative can showcase that talent and demonstrate to Tobago youth that this can be a viable and sustainable career

Massive respect to Terry Williams who has been one of those that work tirelessly and in virtual anonymity doing their bit to keep that fire burning in the sister island.

True. There are many decent players in Bago who have to come to Trinidad to break through. My only concern with a Tobago team in the Pro League is the cost of travel, which everyone would be worried about.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

True. There are many decent players in Bago who have to come to Trinidad to break through. My only concern with a Tobago team in the Pro League is the cost of travel, which everyone would be worried about.

Valid.

The argument is....when you have to play CONCACAF Champions League.....how are those travel costs dealt with?  Do qualifying clubs receive some sort of reimbursement from CONCACAF/CFU?

Are all costs covered?  Some?  If so, which costs are not covered?  How do the clubs cover these costs?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »

How is it handled in the Super League where you have Phoenix, Stokely Vale, and Bethel United involved?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »
My concern would also be the availability of transportation. Just a couple months ago I was home for a funeral and people from Tobago couldn't come because everything going back was booked solid.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:26:44 PM »
In this day and age, anything dark and sinister can happen but I hope that the President and the people behind PMI are on the up and up. If they are, what a breath of.fresh air. Well done Terry. Hope everything works out well for everyone involved in this collarabation as well as the players and the organization who will definitely reap the rewards and to the people of Tobago. Dexter Skeene. Tiny Toons. Are you seeing this? And you say you cannot find sponsors. What a.f%&king joke.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »

Valid.

The argument is....when you have to play CONCACAF Champions League.....how are those travel costs dealt with?  Do qualifying clubs receive some sort of reimbursement from CONCACAF/CFU?

Are all costs covered?  Some?  If so, which costs are not covered?  How do the clubs cover these costs?

Teams pay their own way in CFU.

In CONCACAF you get US$40,000 per away game. But this didn't cover Centrals visit to LA or Connections trip to Mexico. Remember, the Champions League has a lot of sponsorship and TV rights.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:22:23 PM »

How is it handled in the Super League where you have Phoenix, Stokely Vale, and Bethel United involved?

These guys have to work, so sometimes a weakened team would travel. Also, Pro League teams would want to stay overnight (at least in a cheap guest house)
It's very difficult to book a team on a flight to Tobago. Usually you have stand by's which means teams travel in groups. If an agreement could be made with CAL that teams have a guaranteed flight, it would be a step in the right direction.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
These guys have to work, so sometimes a weakened team would travel. Also, Pro League teams would want to stay overnight (at least in a cheap guest house)
It's very difficult to book a team on a flight to Tobago. Usually you have stand by's which means teams travel in groups. If an agreement could be made with CAL that teams have a guaranteed flight, it would be a step in the right direction.

This is ridiculous. You quicker get a reservation to Miami than Scarborough.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »

The system is flawed. I guess companies and travel agents buy blocks of tickets to use/sell as and when. So flights are always "full" and you have to wait for a standby.

Easy to rectify: if you don't use your ticket for the prescribed date and time, you have to pay another TT$75 to rebook.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »

The system is flawed. I guess companies and travel agents buy blocks of tickets to use/sell as and when. So flights are always "full" and you have to wait for a standby.

Easy to rectify: if you don't use your ticket for the prescribed date and time, you have to pay another TT$75 to rebook.
Nah the problem is the shear number of people using the Airbridge. People booking online for themselves sometimes months in advance because it is available. I could buy a ticket for next year right now, and people planning their trips early because they know of the limited space. The problem is that the Airline has no way of adjusting to booked up days. It booked up.... they don't care. I don't even think that they monitor their online sales to know when there are no seats available.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:14:22 PM by Rastaman »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »

Stupid question here.  Is the ferry not an option?

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »

1. They often go down to one ferry which makes the problem worse
2. teams don't like to use them to go to games. Some players get sea sick....especially going to Tobago

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »
If things were running smooth you could fly down midday, play and fly back up the night or vice versa.

Maybe if Manning had buy the Jet  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »
They need a ferry from Toco. Problem solved.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »

Currently only one working. I know people who took the ferry recently. When they arrived in Tobago in the morning, they were told that the ferry returns in 30 minutes and there was no other ferry for the day. So when they went to purchase tickets to return, they were told that the ferry was full!
Eventually they returned on a cargo ferry that docked in Trinidad at 7 a.m.
They said that when they bought their ticket in Port of Spain and while they waited for the ferry, there was no notification that there was no return ferry service later in the day.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »

Currently only one working.

Eh heh??   ???   :-\

I know people who took the ferry recently.

How recent is recent?   From about late April/early May to early July only one was working but they brought back the 2nd ferry to cope with the busy July/August holiday period.  Two weekends ago I went back and forth no problem....and two ferries were working...

The major challenge is getting a booking especially on a weekend and with a car......unless its done at least a month in advance forget it.  Unless you like the drama of standby...........
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »

How recent is recent?   From about late April/early May to early July only one was working but they brought back the 2nd ferry to cope with the busy July/August holiday period.  Two weekends ago I went back and forth no problem....and two ferries were working...

The major challenge is getting a booking especially on a weekend and with a car......unless its done at least a month in advance forget it.  Unless you like the drama of standby...........

I think that incident was around end of June. Someone recently mentioned to me that there was still only one ferry, so I apologise for posting erroneous information!

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »

I think that incident was around end of June. Someone recently mentioned to me that there was still only one ferry, so I apologise for posting erroneous information!
That is the whole point.... If teams use the fast ferry, will they be able to get bookings without having to make them months in advance.

Remember that you have to pay same time, no actual "Booking" service available.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »
Fast ferry from Toco, anyone?

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »

What is the cost of travel from Tobago to Trinidad?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
Whats the latest with this?

Another dead deal?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »

If you carry 18 players plus 3 staff then the airfare alone is $6,300 ground transport is another $400 at least... depending on where the game is playing. They also have to have accommodation... least you expect then to bathe and change at the stadium. If Trinidad teams come to play in Plymouth, it aint have no proper place for them.  Even at 3 in a room that is 7 rooms at $300 to $500 each $2,100 to $3,500.

Easy like that a game is over $10,000
Trinidad teams play one or twice in Tobago but Tobago teams play maybe 20 games or more in Trinidad.

These are just me estimates and the actual prices may be much higher.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
So a a Tobago pro team looking at approx. 210,000 alone  for transport and accommodation. Any sponsor among the forumites?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 10:35:35 AM »

If you carry 18 players plus 3 staff then the airfare alone is $6,300 ground transport is another $400 at least... depending on where the game is playing. They also have to have accommodation... least you expect then to bathe and change at the stadium. If Trinidad teams come to play in Plymouth, it aint have no proper place for them.  Even at 3 in a room that is 7 rooms at $300 to $500 each $2,100 to $3,500.

Trinidad teams play one or twice in Tobago but Tobago teams play maybe 20 games or more in Trinidad.

What's amazing is, the Tobago teams that play in the SSFL don't seem to have a problem flying back and forth?

And Rastaman does have a point, if Speyside High can compete in the SSFL Premier League in Trinidad, maybe St Anthony's or Naps can play a few games there as well.

I haven't heard any problems this season coming from Speyside High.

How come the Super League and Pro League have these problems?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:46:21 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »

What's amazing is, the Tobago teams that play in the SSFL don't seem to have a problem flying back and forth?

And Rastaman does have a point, if Speyside High can compete in the SSFL Premier League in Trinidad, maybe St Anthony's or Naps can play a few games there as well.

I haven't heard any problems this season coming from Speyside High.

How come the Super League and Pro League have these problems?

School teams travel is paid by the SSFL/Ministry of Education/Division of Education.....
Super League I believe pays for transport and Pro League Teams are expected to pay some of the cost....not all(at least when last I was around the Pro League).

It is not so much as having a problem......I was just offering some figures to answer a question asked in the discussion.

1]; } ?>