March 29, 2024, 08:11:35 AM

Author Topic: GOOD READ..football in " NEW" New Orleans.  (Read 909 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: GOOD READ..football in " NEW" New Orleans.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
Across the States, ah came to realize that a lot of leagues have blossomed through Mexican and Central American influence. It's an enviable scene that the West Indian community jes CYAH duplicate because of the lack of the same numbers and population as the Hispanic community.

Although West Indian (lehwe call dem what they really are, mostly Jamaican squads plus others) teams playing in dem leagues at times find it hard to get a fair shake from the refs, yuh hadda respect de absolutely RAW industry that the Spanish-speaking community has put in to make dem into a commercial product that's  self-sufficient and off the radar of the mainstream soccer community. And, I mean, OFF DE RADAR!

I've seen fields carved out on patches of land that just say "dese fellas rell love de game".

One that comes to mind had ah incline/decline of I doh-know-how-many degrees, but depending on which goal yuh chasing, yuh had a definite downhill or uphill battle on a sandy surface. Doh mind de field, there was always PLENTY spectators in support, and two or three games in progress at the same time. Several very talented players on display, others just tenacious labourers with occasional skill, nuff umman and plenty chirren adding to de mix.

Typically, Mexican restaurants and some landscaping ventures are among the sponsors. The refs are well-paid (2 to 3 of dem will ref all day and pocket good coin... each squad hadda pay ref fees). An enterprising businessperson will set up ah taco truck.

Yuh hadda respect the initiative. In some ways, they put us to shame because they have figured out how to generate a separately economically viable machine that is independent of the mainstream economy AND have made US consumers of their product.

Back in de day ah had a pardna from El Salvador who invited me to watch a game at a small stadium near the airport in Boston. I wasn't prepared for the magnitude. The match was mid-week, either Tuesday or Wednesday and no advertising of which I was aware. Watch nah man, it was essentially an informal international between El Salvador and one of its neighbours. EVERYBODY was in blue and white or white and blue, and a nutsman was in evidence. Easily at least 1500 in attendance. It was ah real insight into de runnings. Shortly after that, pardna forked out some change to bring his lil brother across de border. Within 3 weeks Small Man was bussing tables at a upscale restaurant that shall remain nameless (only because ah cyah remember de name :rotfl: but it's across de street from ah 5-star hotel).

Dahis that side of things. This next part is about the Northern Ireland side of things (since the article highlights the Honduras and NI game).

As a yute, ah used to watch Man Utd, buh ah wasn't a Utd fan per se. Supported a North London squad called Spurs. However, a lot depended on the teams in battle, but I never really bet against Fashanu or Crooks or Cyrille Regis. So against de grain, with United, ah rell liked watching Whiteside ball. Found his play enterprising and since he was a yute too, winner instantly!

Last year ah was in Belfast at de QUB grounds waiting on meh transport when ah older head pulled me aside and said, see that fella there ... he was the Northern Ireland kitman at the 1982 WC ... He was another Laing. Quiet, assuming etc. He also turned out to be my ride back. In quick order I got my Norman Whiteside questions answered. This gentleman's name was Derek McKinley. A legend hiding in plain sight that I would have otherwise missed.

Cyah tell yuh de last time ah set foot in New Orleans, but I seem to have memories of a Daisy Dukes-wearing Scandinavian somewhere in de faded picture.

Good find (both de Scandinavian and de article) :rotfl:

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
Top post asylum - this is how the game grew in all the places it conquers the nation's heart. Charlton have played at the valley for over 100 years and you find the best teams often grew up with the community from some old patch of land. I cant speak with any certainty, but my own limited experiemce and those who i talk to in t&t believe that moving to the big stadiums killed the local game attendances.

A pro league manager i spoke to said he could guarantee a crowd of over a thousand if he was allowed to play in the community and have a lime. This is how the sport should be.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
I cant speak with any certainty, but my own limited experiemce and those who i talk to in t&t believe that moving to the big stadiums killed the local game attendances.

The local game eh dead yet. They need to go to the TTFA super league games. The games are community based, and mostly free.

1]; } ?>