April 26, 2024, 11:07:34 AM

Author Topic: 2015 Boys & Girls SSFL & InterCol Thread.  (Read 49462 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Boys & Girls SSFL & InterCol Thread.
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
So south take 1st, 2nd and 3rd, well done.
What allyuh eatin down there?

Scrunter has the answer for you  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88HTvdCfwuo

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2015, 01:55:41 AM »
‘Naps’ not done yet, says skipper
By Sean Taylor (Express).

“We want to take everything this year.” said Michael Basdeo the Naparima College captain Saturday evening shortly after he led his team to a second league title in a row in the 2015 BGTT/First Citizens Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

The diminutive midfielder as if by fate, put the ball into the back of the net with just over nine minutes on the clock in the match against Shiva Boys Hindu College, which turned out to be the winner in a close contest. “It felt really good (the goal) because it was my first goal of the season.” he told the Express.

WINNING TEAM: Naparima College skipper, Michael Basdeo, centre, is surrounded by teammates as he holds the SSFL trophy after they defended their league title when they beat Shiva Boys 1-0 at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, on Saturday evening. —Photo: Sean Taylor

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:15:47 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:11 AM »
Eve hails ‘collective’ effort
By COLIN BENJAMIN (NEWSDAY).

Angus Eve, coach of the 2015 Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) BGTT/ First Citizens Premier Division champions Naparima College has praised the collective effort of the players and school administrators for leading the school to consecutive titles.

Naparima’s impressive season has seen them lose just one of their 13 games, a 1-0 defeat to Anthony’s College. On Saturday they got past Shiva Boys by that same scoreline to impressively wrap up the title with one round still to go.

“The key to our success has been a collective effort from the players, staff and principal of the school,” said Eve, who is also coach of Pro League side St Ann’s Rangers.

“The school has a vision where they want to excel on the field of play just as they do in academics or in any sport they participate in, so we are essentially maintaining that philosophy.” Eve who is Trinidad and Tobago most capped international player in history, was unwilling to mention individuals for special praise but did name a couple of his charges who he says make the team stronger.

“Obviously guys like captain/midfielder Michael Basdeo or defender Stephon Smith are players who everyone who watch the team play will highlight but I don’t want to single out anyone.” He noted though that some of his players have what it takes to make a career out of the sport.

“To lose just one game in a league season is a tremendous achievement — despite what level of football — so all the players deserve praise and I believe a few them definitely have a future as professional players,” he declared.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2015, 04:35:59 AM »
Eve hails ‘collective’ effort
By COLIN BENJAMIN (NEWSDAY).

Angus Eve, coach of the 2015 Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) BGTT/ First Citizens Premier Division champions Naparima College has praised the collective effort of the players and school administrators for leading the school to consecutive titles.

Naparima’s impressive season has seen them lose just one of their 13 games, a 1-0 defeat to Anthony’s College. On Saturday they got past Shiva Boys by that same scoreline to impressively wrap up the title with one round still to go.

“The key to our success has been a collective effort from the players, staff and principal of the school,” said Eve, who is also coach of Pro League side St Ann’s Rangers.

“The school has a vision where they want to excel on the field of play just as they do in academics or in any sport they participate in, so we are essentially maintaining that philosophy.” Eve who is Trinidad and Tobago most capped international player in history, was unwilling to mention individuals for special praise but did name a couple of his charges who he says make the team stronger.

“Obviously guys like captain/midfielder Michael Basdeo or defender Stephon Smith are players who everyone who watch the team play will highlight but I don’t want to single out anyone.” He noted though that some of his players have what it takes to make a career out of the sport.

“To lose just one game in a league season is a tremendous achievement — despite what level of football — so all the players deserve praise and I believe a few them definitely have a future as professional players,” he declared.

Eve has been criticized for this dual-role. What allyuh think now?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2015, 06:15:49 AM »
When you win, you is ah hero. When you lose, yuh is a goat. His team win. What else is there to say? The way football is structured, he can afford to do dual roles. If there was promotion and demotion in the proleague, he would have had to chose one or the other. Right now a proleague team can be in last place forever. They know they will always be there, in the the premier league.

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2015, 10:44:17 AM »
You see a lot of coaches doubling up their roles. And coaching more than one team.
I see no problem once you see the results and one don't suffer because of the other.
congrats to Naps and Angus.
Clearly Naps seems to have a formula for success. On and off the field.
(Coming from a Town boy. That was hard to say. lol.)
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2015, 12:32:41 PM »
You see a lot of coaches doubling up their roles. And coaching more than one team.
I see no problem once you see the results and one don't suffer because of the other.

What's the difference between coaches doing this, and "professional" players sweating in minor league football?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
“Obviously guys like captain/midfielder Michael Basdeo or defender Stephon Smith are players who everyone who watch the team play will highlight but I don’t want to single out anyone.

Yet...he did just that
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »

What's the difference between coaches doing this, and "professional" players sweating in minor league football?

risk/injury? In this case could it be seen that the Pro coach is further contributing to the development of the game from a 'youth' level..with the experience and knowledge from the pro game? On the flip side a pro player playing in a minor league.. is the reward (i'm sure he/she will influence the game at that level) worth the risk to a career? Interesting topic.

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »

risk/injury? In this case could it be seen that the Pro coach is further contributing to the development of the game from a 'youth' level..with the experience and knowledge from the pro game? On the flip side a pro player playing in a minor league.. is the reward (i'm sure he/she will influence the game at that level) worth the risk to a career? Interesting topic.

Hmmn. Interesting perspectives. I support for coaches, but as articulated above not for players. Worthy of some further discussion.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »

The minor league has no insurance for players injuries. Right?! Like I said before, our "pro-league" has ways to go in many respect. In the US many coaches have camps in the summer where they supplement their income. The problem with TT football is the SSFL coincides with the pro-league schedule, at least up to Nov./Dec.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:45:12 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »

The minor league has no insurance for players injuries. Right?!

I doh know, but I doubt it. I just throwing de topic out there to see if there is a double standard, or is it simply about protecting your investment. I know in some sporting contracts, certain types of activities are prohibited based on perceived risk.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »
How come Wenger not coaching Brighton & Hove Albion?

Or Mourinho not coaching Stevenage FC?

You're contracted to coach a particular club.  It means ALL of your efforts and focus belong on that club.

Dis eh Panorama where it used to have less qualified arrangers than bands and even less tuners.

If is ok fuh Eve to coach Naps and Rangers....then SH could be coachin Benedicts and de National team

And wit de fuss National team loss.....every bitch and dey brudder would be bawlin bout how de coach short changing de national team because he focus elsewhere.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
I know this stretching the original point a bit. But the minor leagues continue to attract a lot of support and passion. And the SSFL is not far behind. I just think that there is an opportunity that we continue to miss in translating that to the Pro league level. Back to my original post, we lose these boys after SSFL, so having Pro League coaches coaching them at school is an opportunity for both player and club.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »
If is ok fuh Eve to coach Naps and Rangers....then SH could be coachin Benedicts and de National team

And wit de fuss National team loss.....every bitch and dey brudder would be bawlin bout how de coach short changing de national team because he focus elsewhere.

Coaching the national team is a different animal. There is consequences when it comes to the national team. The coaches are relieved much quicker for failures. The proleague and SSFL, recycle the same coaches. If one get fired here, he gone across dey and get a next coaching job. If failed proleague teams were demoted, you would not see the coaches double dipping. They would pay full attention to their team as is done in the overseas leagues. Also, Eve probably has the consent of the pro team owner to do that. I don't see Stuart Charles or Central coaches coaching any school team.

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »
Jason Spence was coaching St. Ann's Rangers, T&T Women's Under 20, & Fatima (before they fired him)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
How come Wenger not coaching Brighton & Hove Albion?

Or Mourinho not coaching Stevenage FC?

You're contracted to coach a particular club.  It means ALL of your efforts and focus belong on that club.

Dis eh Panorama where it used to have less qualified arrangers than bands and even less tuners.

:rotfl: the way things going with the Blues, he may be looking for that wuk soon oui!

+ Benedicts may be better served with SH in uniform.  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
WATCH: Michael Basdeo's golazo givaes Naparima a 1-0 win over Shiva Boys.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YNNEav2iLXA?start=285" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YNNEav2iLXA?start=285</a>
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:52:20 PM by Tallman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »
Tallman, I did not see the goal in the video.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
Tallman, I did not see the goal in the video.

Ah fix it. Watch it again.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »
That is a golaso!!! Thanx Tallman!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2015, 01:55:34 AM »
​East Mucurapo, Five Rivers clash in Big-Five.
T&T Guardian Reports.

First day winners, East Mucurapo and Five Rivers will go head-to-head at Fatima College Ground, Mucurapo Road, when match day two of the BGTT/First Citizens Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) takes place today from 3.30pm.

On Friday last, when the tournament which will see three teams gaining promotion to next year’s Premier Division kicked off, East Mucurapo edged host Chaguanas North 3-2 while Five Rivers also had a narrow 2-1 win over Pleasantville at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

Also today, newly crowned Tobago zonal champions, Signal Hill will host Chaguanas North at Signal Hill while Pleasantville is on a bye.

Matches will continue on Friday, Sunday and next Tuesday at the end of whichthe top three will be promoted.

Fixtures:
NB: All matches kick off at 3.30pm

Today
East Mucurapo vs Five Rivers, Fatima Ground, Mucurapo Road.
Signal Hill vs Chaguanas North, Signal Hill Ground

October 30:
Pleasantville vs Signal Hill, Pleasantville
Chaguanas North vs Five Rivers, Chaguanas

November 1:
Five Rivers vs Signal Hill, Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar
East Mucurapo vs Pleasantville, Fatima Ground, Mucurapo Road,

November 3:
Pleasantville vs Chaguanas North, Pleasantville
Signal Hill vs East Mucurapo, Signal Hill

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2015, 06:21:25 AM »
Tobago SSFL Zone matches

Wednesday 28th October 2015

Light and Life vs Mason Hall Secondary
Bishop's High vs Goodwood High

Current Tobago Zone Intercol match-ups

Speyside/Roxborough vs Scar. Sec/Mason Hall

Signal Hill/Goodwood vs Light and Life/Bishop's

The only teams that can change positions in the table and change match-ups are Mason Hall and Goodwood. Bishop's can jump Light and life with a win and a Light and Life loss OR with a big 14-0 win and a Light and Life draw (the latter is HIGHLY UNLIKELY). The BHS vs Light and Life match-up will remain regardless of result.

ALL WILL BE DETERMINED ON WEDNESDAY 28TH OCTOBER

Teams                P    W    D    L   GF    GA    GD   Pts
Signal Hill          12    8    2    2    25     9      16    26
Scarborough       12    7    2    3    32    12     20    23
Light and Life      11    6    1    4    17     8      9     19
Bishop’s             11    5    2    4    13    17     -4    17
Mason Hall         11    3    4    4    11    17     -6    13
Goodwood          11    3    3    5    13    16     -3    12
Roxborough        12    1    0    11   7     37    -30    3
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:36:44 AM by Richard G. »
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
I wonder whether the main driver for dual roles is merely financial? I can't imagine being properly compensated as a Pro League coach and having an interest in coaching SSFL. In addition, the attention to detail required to shepherd a team through a season is immense. While I am intrigued by Jumbie's point regarding a Pro League coach delivering value in the SSFL, I think at the core this issue raises the question of whether Eve feels challenged in the Pro League or is exploiting that challenge sufficiently.

As a general proposition, doing opponent research and reviewing film, looking at data etc. takes a lot of time. But perhaps, given the stagnancy of the PL and familiarity with the cast of characters ... maybe this needs to be done only casually for a man with AE's breadth of experience across this environment.

Should Pro League owners demand more? Or does winning in the SSFL raise one's stock on the professional circuit?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:28:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

What about de knock in general? How does it compare to back in de day?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »

What about de knock in general? How does it compare to back in de day?

I honestly cannot give a comparison with the past, because we don't see entire games. But from the clips I have seen, Naps seem to be above the rest. They have this intangible team cohesion. The ball always following their players. They are just better than the rest at this time. In my time, Sando Tech., Saints, Belmont, Tranquil were the gunners. In my last year Naps with Francis, Homer were playing the best then.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »

VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/csportslive/videos/1036648416386790/

Naparima College retained their BGTT / First Citizens Secondary School's Football League Premier Division title after edging fellow Southerners Shiva boys 1-0 to make absolutely certain of the crown.

Ruskin Mark has more on this and St. Anthony's college's late surge for a big-four spot.

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2015, 01:14:03 AM »
SSFL Premier League Promotional Playoff

Tuesday 27th October

East Mucurapo 3 vs Five Rivers 1
Signal Hill 3 vs Chaguanas North 1

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2015, 02:38:20 AM »
Naps captain credits coach Eve
T&T Newsday Reports

Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) championship captain, Michael Basdeo, of Naparima College, credited the wittiness and experience of team coach, Angus Eve, for their recent success on the local competitive circuit.

Having successfully defended their SSFL crown by producing an impressive record – 12 wins, one loss and two draws – Basdeo admitted that the squad’s secret to success lies within the wisdom of Eve, who has been coach of the south school for the third consecutive year.

Speaking to the young footballer, Basdeo revealed that the former national striker has implemented several new techniques in and around the squad to ensure that his team has a slight advantage on game-day.

“We have a brilliant coach and he taught us that we must go in every game applying different strategies,” Basdeo explained. “We always had scouts observing the other teams while they played so we had an extra edge knowing how some of the teams (would) play and how to adjust to them. We always said that every game must be played like a final and we went out there and played our hearts out.”

Following their team’s 0-1 defeat to the ‘Tigers’ (St Anthony’s) during the middle of the season, Basdeo acknowledged that this was a blow to their highly motivated team. However, upon realising the slight negative impact that this result had on team members, managerial staff stepped in to limit the mental damage suffered.

“We had a meeting after the game (St Anthony’s) followed by a motivational session which was organised by the manager (Percy Samlalsingh). They told us that if we won the League, the team would visit the US, so that was a big motivator ahead of each match after that. We wanted that a lot so we had to play to the best of our abilities,” added Basdeo.

On his outfit’s successful trophy defence, the ‘Naps’ captain stated, “It’s a relief because every game was tough. All the teams wanted to say ‘we beat the champions’ so every game was hard-fought. There were some challenges, sometimes the games did not go as we wanted but we had to keep our heads up.

I also tried to lead the team and keep our confidence high in the tough games.” And with the 2015 Coca Cola Intercol scheduled to kick off from Monday, Naparima are intent on bagging top honours once more and completing a sweep of local titles. Basdeo however, hopes that his team can implement the same winning strategy to the Intercol in their effort to capture all national schools titles.

“We have to go into the Intercol with a similar mentality and intensity in every game because it’s a knockout tournament,” he continued.

“We did miss some players this year, but the ones we brought in did well to replace them so it was not much of a difference - they have been excellent. I think we only conceded six goals this season and our defence did a great job. We are going for everything this year,” he concluded.

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2015, 02:01:17 AM »
Tobago SSFL Zone matches

Wednesday 28th October 2015

Light and Life 1 vs Mason Hall Secondary 1
Bishop's High 1 vs Goodwood High 0

Current Tobago Zone Intercol match-ups

Scheduled for Thursday 5th October

Signal Hill/Goodwood vs Light and Life/Bishop's (venues TBD)

Scheduled for Monday 9th October

Speyside/Roxborough vs Scar. Sec/Mason Hall (venues TBD)

**Speyside might seem to have an easy quarter-final draw vs Roxborough Secondary. Signal Hill will be favourites to win their clash with Goodwood even though they drew 2-2 and beat Goodwood 1-0 respectively. Scarborough Secondary will have their work cut out for them vs Mason Hall Secondary. Mason Hall could be deemed responsible for beginning Scar. Sec's collapse at the start of the 2nd round when they beat Scar. Sec. 1-0 (Mason Hall lost 3-0 in the first round).

The clash between Bishop's High and Light and Life promises to be the match of the quarter-final round in Tobago. Both teams ended on 20 points with goal difference the decider. Bishop's won the 1st round 2-1 with Light and Life winning 2-0 in the 2nd round. Light and Life has the joint best goals against average and are currently unbeaten in 9 matches dating back to 26th September 2015. Bishop's defense might not seem as steady, however, apart from two 4-0 and 5-0 loss (Scar. Sec and Signal Hill) only one other team has scored more than 1 goal against BHS......Light and Life. Only 2 schools have scored more than 1 goal against Light and Life....Signal Hill and Bishop's.

Teams                P    W    D    L   GF    GA    GD   Pts
Signal Hill          12    8    2    2    25     9      16    26
Scarborough       12    7    2    3    32    12     20    23
Light and Life      12    6    2    4    18     9      9     20
Bishop’s             12    6    2    4    14    17     -3    20
Mason Hall         12    3    5    4    12    18     -6    14
Goodwood          12    3    3    6    13    17     -4    12
Roxborough        12    1    0    11   7     37    -30    3

**Speyside relegated from Premier Div. following 4-1 loss to Naparima**

1]; } ?>