March 28, 2024, 03:28:16 AM

Author Topic: Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago: Faris AL-Rawi. September 2015.  (Read 14296 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Under the new P.N.M Government, Faris AL-Rawi, may quite possibly be the new Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:28:52 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Faris AL-Rawi Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
Yup. Dr. Rowley stated the AG would be chosen from the elected 23. I can't think of anyone else from the list who can fill the post.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
I was waiting to create a thread named "Attorney General Faris Al Rawi Thread" but I see you didnt even wait for the official announcement  :D

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »

I was waiting to create a thread named "Attorney General Faris Al Rawi Thread" but I see you didnt even wait for the official announcement  :D

When and if it happen, the thread will be rename. :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:54:05 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:57:54 PM »
Some might argue that Faris is a bit of a lightweight, but he would seem the most obvious choice at this point.  Rowley certainly has the utmost of confidence in him.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
I understand the enthusiasm, but there is/was no reason to create a new Faris thread, one exists ... created by Jumbie 3 years ago.

What is the Faris is a lightweight argument?

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »
Some might argue that Faris is a bit of a lightweight, but he would seem the most obvious choice at this point.  Rowley certainly has the utmost of confidence in him.

Went to school with Faris.  He is a good soldier.  Plus he came from a long time PNM family and as you said Rowley has a lot of confidence in him.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »
I understand the enthusiasm, but there is/was no reason to create a new Faris thread, one exists ... created by Jumbie 3 years ago.

What is the Faris is a lightweight argument?

What's his legal background and experience in International, Constitutional and Administrative law?  Being a 4-year (or is it 5?) parliamentarian one would assume that he's up on parliamentary procedure, which has it's use, but as the Government's lawyer he has to be a jack-of-all trades and possess facility if not mastery of them all.  His background seems to be that of a general practitioner, which should serve to help some.

Went to school with Faris.  He is a good soldier.  Plus he came from a long time PNM family and as you said Rowley has a lot of confidence in him.

I like Faris personally... I have no issue with him.  What year was he at Presentation... '87 or '88?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Faris AL-Rawi TIPPED FOR AG Thread.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 12:29:41 AM »
I have a different take re: elements of the analysis on this thread, but will reserve comment.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 12:45:22 AM »
i heard it from a friend that fitzgerald hinds is tipped to be the next AG, but don't quote me.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 06:12:28 AM »
I prefer Stuart Young. The role of attorney general should always at least seem to be impartial... forget the last 2 who served in the role... I feel Young can play that role. I would save Al-Rawi as an attack dog in parliament when necessary.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 06:24:53 AM »
Redman, yuh wukkin.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
i heard it from a friend that fitzgerald hinds is tipped to be the next AG, but don't quote me.

I hope you wrong like an o.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »
Confirmed Faris as AG; Dillon for National Security.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
I knew the latter was happening, but I was hoping it wasn't the case. I listened to Dillon at a town hall and I was very unimpressed. I don't get why we keep putting leaders of the regiment as Ministers of National Security. We need a complete reform of the police service (from the ground up), and military leadership isn't necessarily what we need to get us there. We need a demilitarization of the police with an emphasis on basic education, investigative skills, understanding of criminal law, and community relations. That's entirely different from the role of the defense force.

I'm hoping for a change but initial signs/comments really don't suggest we will be getting a different approach.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
I knew the latter was happening, but I was hoping it wasn't the case. I listened to Dillon at a town hall and I was very unimpressed. I don't get why we keep putting leaders of the regiment as Ministers of National Security. We need a complete reform of the police service (from the ground up), and military leadership isn't necessarily what we need to get us there. We need a demilitarization of the police with an emphasis on basic education, investigative skills, understanding of criminal law, and community relations. That's entirely different from the role of the defense force.

I'm hoping for a change but initial signs/comments really don't suggest we will be getting a different approach.

I find merit in that comment.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
National Security by definition incorporates a military role.  Further, when one examines the elements of the portfolio, it makes sense that an individual from one of the branches of the armed forces be appointed to lead the office.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
National Security by definition incorporates a military role.  Further, when one examines the elements of the portfolio, it makes sense that an individual from one of the branches of the armed forces be appointed to lead the office.

Not suggesting it isn't part of the portfolio, but I think the "makes sense" argument isn't that strong given that many countries around the world appoint non military/police persons to lead the ministerial portfolios which include policing and national defense. In Canada the Minister of Public Safety has responsibility for the RCMP (Police) and other agencies, and the Minister doesn't have a military background. The Minister of National Defence (where the military reports to) is also a non-military political head.

Granted we've had both Ministers of National Security with a military background (i.e. Alfonso, Griffith, Theodore) and without (Martin Joseph, Howard Chin Lee, Jack Warner, Emmanuel George, etc.) under both the PNM/UNC. My real judgement is on the plan, regardless of background - from what I've heard of Dillon, the emphasis he spoke of was largely what we've heard before (tools and weapons) versus some of the more boring reform that is drastically necessary.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago Faris AL-Rawi Thread.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »

Not suggesting it isn't part of the portfolio, but I think the "makes sense" argument isn't that strong given that many countries around the world appoint non military/police persons to lead the ministerial portfolios which include policing and national defense. In Canada the Minister of Public Safety has responsibility for the RCMP (Police) and other agencies, and the Minister doesn't have a military background. The Minister of National Defence (where the military reports to) is also a non-military political head.

Granted we've had both Ministers of National Security with a military background (i.e. Alfonso, Griffith, Theodore) and without (Martin Joseph, Howard Chin Lee, Jack Warner, Emmanuel George, etc.) under both the PNM/UNC. My real judgement is on the plan, regardless of background - from what I've heard of Dillon, the emphasis he spoke of was largely what we've heard before (tools and weapons) versus some of the more boring reform that is drastically necessary.

Given the option between a bureaucrat/political functionary and someone with actual experience training and bonafides... I'll opt for the latter everyday.  That aside, you say that you object to Dillon, based on "what [you've] heard" of him.  That's almost laughable.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
 Trinidad and Tobago going forward people, for the moment, please stay away from the negatives.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »

It "makes sense" depending on the individual vested with the post ... but should by no means be a pre-req to hold the portfolio. The country has had non-military Ministers of National Security whose tenures in office have been excellent ... contributions that have eclipsed those with a vested military perspective. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
So the good Dr. has opted for the path of identifying a new personal attorney. Dahis one way to go.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
It "makes sense" depending on the individual vested with the post ... but should by no means be a pre-req to hold the portfolio. The country has had non-military Ministers of National Security whose tenures in office have been excellent ... contributions that have eclipsed those with a vested military perspective. 

The position put forth (in which you found merit) was that we should move away from appointing persons with military backgrounds and that the portfolio itself should be demilitarized (of course that has now been amended to say that DIllon himself was a poor choice given his alleged focus on "tools and weapons" but that's another matter).  My counter to that is that appointing someone with a military background is a rational ("makes sense") decision. Not sure where the prerequisite talk is coming from.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »

The position put forth (in which you found merit) was that we should move away from appointing persons with military backgrounds and that the portfolio itself should be demilitarized (of course that has now been amended to say that DIllon himself was a poor choice given his alleged focus on "tools and weapons" but that's another matter).  My counter to that is that appointing someone with a military background is a rational ("makes sense") decision. Not sure where the prerequisite talk is coming from.

Your restatement of my position is inaccurate. I did ((and do) not concur with R45's entire contribution. I find partial merit in his contribution. The more expansive comment (that you quoted above) reflects my view. I do not hold the view that "that we should move away from appointing persons with military backgrounds and that the portfolio itself should be demilitarized".

I don't challenge the underlying rationality regarding the presumptive utility of a military background. However, I espouse a view that finds that other persons are suitably effective to occupy the portfolio.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
Given the option between a bureaucrat/political functionary and someone with actual experience training and bonafides... I'll opt for the latter everyday.  That aside, you say that you object to Dillon, based on "what [you've] heard" of him.  That's almost laughable.
My objection was based on what he said he would do at a town hall meeting, and that's laughable?

We shouldn't judge politicians on what they'd say we would do?

Are you serious?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago going forward people, for the moment, please stay away from the negatives.

based on the last 2 few imps who held the position

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
Your restatement of my position is inaccurate. I did ((and do) not concur with R45's entire contribution. I find partial merit in his contribution. The more expansive comment (that you quoted above) reflects my view. I do not hold the view that "that we should move away from appointing persons with military backgrounds and that the portfolio itself should be demilitarized".

I don't challenge the underlying rationality regarding the presumptive utility of a military background. However, I espouse a view that finds that other persons are suitably effective to occupy the portfolio.

I actually never stated nor restated your position. I stated the position of our illustrious international non-profit boardmember... and the fact that you agreed with his comment vis-a-vis military men and the Ministry of National Security.

My objection was based on what he said he would do at a town hall meeting, and that's laughable?

We shouldn't judge politicians on what they'd say we would do?

Are you serious?

You said your objection was based on "what I've heard of Dillon."  Now you're telling me it was based on what you personally heard him say at a town hall meeting.  I'm sorry, next time I'll stop and take time to read your mind before responding.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago: Faris AL-Rawi. September 2015.
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Why was the PM sworn in last?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago: Faris AL-Rawi. September 2015.
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
I actually never stated nor restated your position. I stated the position of our illustrious international non-profit boardmember... and the fact that you agreed with his comment vis-a-vis military men and the Ministry of National Security.

Lehwe jes deem this as richly fertilized with bullshit and move on.

What are your thoughts on the order in which the swearing-in occurred?

1]; } ?>