April 19, 2024, 07:38:50 PM

Author Topic: RIP Errol Mahabir  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RIP Errol Mahabir
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »
Breaking News; Former Energy Minister and Member of Parliament has left us for greener pastures. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:32:08 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Errol Mahabir
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
Condolences. :(
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
Oh Damn!

You know I was thinking of him just yesterday.

He was my Mum's boss a the Ministry of Petroleum and Mines back in the 70s.

For yeas I referred to him as "the Magic Man."
He used to call me in his office and do magic tricks for me.

As a six year old yute, I was in awe of that man.

RIP Sir.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 05:32:37 AM »
He stepped up to serve at a time when the country needed the help of men like himself, and serve he did faithfully. Condolences indeed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:59:04 AM »
Condolences to the Mahabir family. He did his job well for TT.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
Why was he not Williams' successor? Ting to ponder.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »

So rather than celebrate the man's life you choose to subtly infer race and politics into his death. RIP Mr. Mahabir you served your country well.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »

he was not Williams successor because Ellis Clarke choose Chambers.......talk dun, RIP Mr Mahabir
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:40:46 PM by royal »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »

So rather than celebrate the man's life you choose to subtly infer race and politics into his death. RIP Mr. Mahabir you served your country well.

Race? My comment had NOTHING to do with race. Absolutely nothing.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 04:57:07 AM »
I see in either the Guardian or Express, there is a pix of Errol in football uniform. anybody know who he played football for.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:17:10 AM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »

Well the answer has everything to do with Race.
Mohammed and Mahabir were the two foudning and Sr. members. You really think anyone was letting them lead the PNM?

Nutten to ponder, it's obvious.

VB
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:25:29 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »

Mohammed and Mahabir were the two foudning and Sr. members. You really think anyone was letting them lead the PNM?

VB

I think Mohammed was a founding member of the PNM but not Mahabir who joined later. See link: http://www.pnm.org.tt/index.php/history/history2/the-formative-years-of-the-pnm.html?showall=1&limitstart=

Here is some info on the selection of Chambers as PM after Eric Williams died

On 29 March 1981 Eric Williams died. Williams had maintained an iron grip over the party and forced all potential rivals out of the party. In the absence of a clear successor, President Ellis Clarke was left to choose the new Prime Minister from among the three Deputy Political Leaders of the PNM party.
Clarke appointed George Chambers Prime Minister in preference to Kamaluddin Mohammed and Errol Mahabir. Chambers was subsequently elected as Political Leader of the PNM and led the party to victory in the 1981 General Elections. The PNM won 26 of 36 seats and 52% of the vote.

However because President Ellis Clarke selected George Chambers as PM who was then backed by the PNM to become its official political leader some folks try to imply that the PNM made a decision based on race to select George Chambers as leader of the PNM while conveniently forgetting that it was Ellis Clarke who was the President of T&T at the time and who is not a member of the PNM who had selected George Chambers as the new PM. It was only natural for the PNM to go on to officially back George Chambers as leader of the PNM if he was already doing a good job as PM and had proven his leadership abilities. Nothing racial about that.
Remember that Chambers did lead the PNM to victory in the 1981 General Elections in which they won 26 of 36 seats with 52% of the vote.

Those who try to pass off this decision as racial don't properly understand our political history and are falling prey to all the racist rhetoric being spewed by people like Satnarayan Maharaj which is helping to keep folks in ignorance and so keep back the progress of T&T as a united developing nation.

Also note that President Ellis Clarke was unanimously voted in as President by both sides of the House in 1976 when he became the first President of the Republic. See this link for more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Clarke
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:22:23 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »

VB

I wouldn't be so presumptuous. Nonethless, even if it featured in someone's calculus in 1981 ... it wasn't part of my hope for discussion.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 06:14:22 PM »
I see in either the Guardian or Express, there is a pix of Errol in football uniform. anybody know who he played football for.

I saw a reference in an unrelated article which mentioned him being with a club from San Fernando named Tollgate.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »

I saw a reference in an unrelated article which mentioned him being with a club from San Fernando named Tollgate.

Thanks for that piece of info, Tallman!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »

This was de article from 2003: 81-year-old Administrator was called in to give evidence for Imran Khan
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 09:33:34 PM »

This was de article from 2003: 81-year-old Administrator was called in to give evidence for Imran Khan

Thanks, Tallman!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tributes pour in for Mahabir: One of the better energy ministers
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
Tributes pour in for Mahabir
One of the better energy ministers
By Richard Lord (T&T Guardian)
Published: Monday, September 21, 2015

Former prime minister Dr Eric Williams, left, and Errol Mahabir, centre, and Kamaluddin Mohammed in an undated photo taken in the 1960s.

Chairman of the People’s National Movement (PNM) Franklin Khan in his tribute to former PNM deputy political leader Errol Mahabir, who died at hospital on Saturday, said he was a servant of the PNM in no short order.

Mahabir was also MP for San Fernando West from 1966 to 1986.

Mahabir served as Minister of Petroleum and Minies, Foreign Affairs and Labour under the country’s first and second prime ministers, Dr Eric Williams and George Chambers, both deceased.

Mahabir was 84. Khan told Guardian Media Ltd’s Sky 99.5 FM yesterday that his passing was “a shock and surprise” to the PNM although he was ailing.

“Mahabir will be remembered as one of the better ministers of energy the PNM has ever produced. He has been instrumental in the development of the Point Lisas Industrial Estate. So his contribution to T&T is unquestionable but his contribution in particular to San Fernando and the industrialisation of South and Central Trinidad is really his legacy,” Khan said.

The party’s general secretary Ashton Ford said the party became aware of Mahabir’s death yesterday. He described Mahabir “as an outstanding member of the PNM.”

“Mr Mahabir made his mark as a negotiator while working at the Ministry of Labour and also as Minister of Foreign Affairs, “ Ford said.

According to Ford, the PNM’s political leader, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, presented Mahabir with an award two years ago for his outstanding contribution to the 60-year-old party.

Mahabir’s family also issued a statement yesterday on his passing. It said the family was “heartbroken” by his death after a brief illness. He was described as “a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.”

The statement also said: “Mahabir, who rose from very humble beginnings to national recognition, never forgot his origins.”

Mahabir had 20 years in public service, a minister of government and the mayorship of his hometown of San Fernando.

The statement said Mahabir “served his nation proudly, but he never sought praise or accolades. Rather he was comfortable just knowing that he was doing the best that he could for his country.”

It said after he demitted office following the National Alliance for Reconstruction’s defeat in 1986, Mahabir became active in the business sector, assisting his family with the management of the Damus Group, and serving on numerous boards of directors in both the public and private sectors.

As much as Mahabir cherished his privacy, the family stated, he always appreciated the expressions of goodwill from people from all walks of life across the country and abroad. The family thanked all for their continued outpouring of love.

“Errol will be dearly missed,” his family said in the statement.

Another founding member of the PNM Kamaluddin Mohammed, 88, was last week warded at hospital for two and was discharged on Friday and is now home resting comfortably. Hours later, he was visited by Rowley and Health Minister Dr Terrence Deyalsingh.

His son, Alimuddin Mohammed, said yesterday on behalf of his father and the immediate Mohammed family, he offered condolences to Mahabir’s wife, Yvonne, their children and grandchildren.

He said Mahabir had “always been in contact with my father and the family over the years.”

“He was a great friend and Cabinet colleague of Mr Mohammed who worked very hard in early days.”

A dedicated patriot—Kamla

Political leader of the United National Congress (UNC) Kamla Persad-Bissessar says former government minister Errol Mahabir was a committed and dedicated patriot, who raised the country’s profile nationally and internationally through his professionalism and work ethic.

Mahabir, a former MP for San Fernando West, and deputy political leader of the PNM, who was ailing, died at his at Southern Medical Centre on Saturday.

Persad-Bissessar is expected to be sworn in as Opposition Leader at the Office of the President, St Ann’s this afternoon.

In a statement yesterday she said Mahabir was “an outstanding political icon who will be remembered for his sterling contribution to the development of T&T, putting country ahead of partisan political interests.”

Persad-Bissessar, a former prime minister, said in 2010, her People’s Partnership Government “awarded Mahabir the Chaconia Medal Gold for his long and dedicated service.”

She said the country was “poorer today with the loss of this humble and patriotic son.”

Former energy minister Kevin Ramnarine, who honoured Mahabir in September 2014, stated in a post on Facebook : “I am deeply saddened by the passing of Errol Mahabir. He was a friend and a mentor to me. On numerous occasions during my term as Energy Minister I turned to him for advice on critical decisions. We have lost a great citizen and a patriot.”
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:31:07 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »

VIDEO Report; http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Errol-Mahabirs-Funeral--2522---329605401.html

Errol Mahabir’s Funeral

One of the country's most distinguished sons, Errol Mahabir, was laid to rest this morning. At the funeral service at St Paul's Anglican Church in San Fernando, the Chaconia Gold medal recipient was bid farewell by loved ones and a number of his former contemporaries. Among them, several members of government past and present, including Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley and former Prime Minister Patrick Manning.

1]; } ?>