March 29, 2024, 07:19:18 AM

Author Topic: Skeene reiterates the need for community fields towards a sustainable Pro League  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Skeene reiterates the need for community fields towards a sustainable Pro League.
ttproleague.com

Chief Executive Officer of the TT Pro League, Dexter Skeene, has renewed his stance that community-based fields suited for professional football will be the catalyst in taking the Pro League to the next level.

“Despite repeated promises, the League will continue to soldier to make representation for community grounds,” said Skeene during the launch of the 2015-2016 Digicel Pro League on Friday 25 September at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.

Skeene, who plans to take his plea to new Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, Darryl Smith, added, “It was always part of the business model submitted to the Ministry to the understanding that if this is provided, after a few years clubs would have no excuse not to be self-sustaining and viable.

Skeene, who took up the post in 2004, reminded that it started in 2002 with pioneers who had a vision to create an industry with professional football, to take Trinidad and Tobago’s football to next level. He said that people like Jerry Hospedales, Jamaal Shabazz, David John-Williams, Darryl Mahabir, Richard Fakoory together with others have invested over $325 million in bringing professional football to where it is today.

The Pro League CEO added that while government has contributed just over $50 million, for which League is appreciative, stakeholders must understand the amount of money the owners have invested.

He said the Major League Soccer (MLS) has lost over US$200M (TT $1Billion) before they realized a profit within recent times.

“When you place that into context you understand what is required and the life cycle necessary for a successful professional football league.

“Community fields is a critical success factor and I remain convinced when put in place it will be the catalyst to take professional football to the next level.”

Point Fortin Civic stands only Pro League club with a community-based field—the Mahaica Oval, which recently had stadium lights installed.

While every other club play their home matches at various stadia across Trinidad but none – Hasely Crawford, Ato Boldon, Larry Gomes and the Marvin Lee stadia – are directly linked to the community of any club.

A recent inspection visit by the League at Ojoe Road Recreation Ground revealed that the venue in Sangre Grande – home of North East Stars – is presently not suited or equipped for professional play but Skeene hopes it can be ready by the end of October.

The Pro League CEO said it’s also about giving local coaches the opportunity to work fulltime as coaches just like the Jose Mourinhos (Chelsea / England) and Arsene Wengers (Arsenal / England) of the world.

“We must not limit ourselves; we are just as talented, ambitious and intelligent as anyone anywhere in the world. The TT Pro League is the platform, it is our platform, the stage, the place, the forum where we can achieve greatness, utilising and exposing our indigenous talent.”

Recent performances by Pro League clubs Central FC and W Connection in the CONCACAF Champions League and the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s Senior Team on the international stage have gained the twin-island plaudits.

“I feel proud because the Mexicans and Americans are now taking notice,” continued Skeene. “Former assistant to Rafa Benitez, Paco Ayestaran, the Spanish-born head coach of Mexican champion club, Santos Laguana, believes that the recent performances of the National team and local clubs, W Connection and Central FC, in CONCACAF Champions League, is proving that the gap is narrowing within the Federation. Ayestaran said ‘in CONCACAF there is no real difference anymore.’

“The TT Pro League is about building an industry; it is about developing football as a profession, creating a pathway for youngsters to aspire to earn a living from playing football.

“It is about supplying the National senior team with players like Ataulla Guerra, Willis Plaza, Jan-Michael Williams, Joevin Jones, Keron Cummings, and many others who can effectively and efficiently compete at international level. The contribution of the Pro League and its clubs, players and coaches is unquestioned or let me be more precise ought not to be questioned.”

Skeene, who holds a BA in Economics attained at Columbia University in New York, added, “With the falling oil revenue and economic downturn, each one of us must stand ready to defend our league and stand up for Professional football in Trinidad and Tobago not just by words but by our actions.

“In relation to off the field of play the League can say with total clarity that in the conduct of the League's business, good governance, transparency and accountability are our unflinching watchwords.”

Skeene pleaded with clubs to continue working together to build a sustainable and viable professional football industry.

He went further to say, “The platform has been laid; the league is secure in its knowledge and confident that the stage has been set for the continuous growth of football in Trinidad and Tobago. We have built a cadre of owners, managers, coaches, trainers, physiotherapists and players with over a decade of experience. We still have a lot of work to do, but the die has been cast. It’s an idea whose time has come; there is no turning back now.

“This is evident from the performances of W Connection and Central FC in the recent CONCACAF club championship, I wish to congratulate them. I feel proud because many leagues in existence for over a decade have not made it this far.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
in the stadium in couva and the team called central fc is that not a community based field?

I understand what he saying but I not sure if it will be a silver bullet.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My only question is what will happen when T&T Pro League teams come up against CONCACAF teams for home games. Will  LA Galaxy play Morvant United at a community based field in Morvant instead of the Hasely Crawford Stadium? Because once you establish community fields as your home ground then people will expect you to play all your home games there.. Doh be jumping one home game from the community then the next one at a stadium against more popular opposition because then the public perception will be teams have more than one home ground. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My only question is what will happen when T&T Pro League teams come up against CONCACAF teams for home games. Will  LA Galaxy play Morvant United at a community based field in Morvant instead of the Hasely Crawford Stadium? Because once you establish community fields as your home ground then people will expect you to play all your home games there.. Doh be jumping one home game from the community then the next one at a stadium against more popular opposition because then the public perception will be teams have more than one home ground. 

I see your point about community stadium/big stadium dilemma. If the crowds were turning out for games the issue of the empty big stadiums would be mute. But there is need for the community stadiums, because it will bring the crowd closer to home. For instance a small stadium in Aranguez could serve both AIA and Jabloteh. Plus community stadiums take the wear and tear of the big stadium. The big stadiums are also used for SSFL and fetes. Honestly, I don't see a problem of Connection or Central playing in the big stadiums against teams like Santos, Pumas, Chivas, Galaxy etc. All the pro teams have to do is start winning and the fans will come. Winning is everything.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I see your point about community stadium/big stadium dilemma. If the crowds were turning out for games the issue of the empty big stadiums would be mute. But there is need for the community stadiums, because it will bring the crowd closer to home. For instance a small stadium in Aranguez could serve both AIA and Jabloteh. Plus community stadiums take the wear and tear of the big stadium. The big stadiums are also used for SSFL and fetes. Honestly, I don't see a problem of Connection or Central playing in the big stadiums against teams like Santos, Pumas, Chivas, Galaxy etc. All the pro teams have to do is start winning and the fans will come. Winning is everything.

What is this 'Community Stadium' you talk about? We have Community FIELDS and we have Stadiums. So again the question is where will teams play when they are playing HOME games against Non-Trinbago teams such as LA Galaxy and Santos?

You cannot say your home ground is a community field in Morvant and play home games in the Stadiums at your own convenience against popular teams because the public will develop the perception you have several home grounds which then defeats the original purpose of Skeene idea of teams having community feilds as their home ground. 

You do not have a problem with them playing home games in the Stadiums against popular CONCACAF teams well then you accept the point they have more than one home ground. Community fields, Stadiums and pretty much they will be playing home games anywhere in the country.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:07:29 PM by Sando prince »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Building football by returning it to its roots
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 11:08:34 PM »
Building football by returning it to its roots
By Dexter Skeene (ttproleague.com
)

Football is one of the most played sports in Trinidad and Tobago. On any given afternoon or weekend, groups of children, men and women, the young and the young at heart gather to play the beautiful game - from sweat matches to five-a-side tourneys, intercol football, the annual BagoSports Beach Soccer Championship, amateur leagues like the Central Bank league, zonal leagues, the Super League and finally the pinnacle of the local game, the TT Pro League. Since its introduction in 2002, professional football in Trinidad and Tobago has gone through its fair share of upheaval but recent indicators point to long awaited revival and steady progress in the right direction.

Over the weekend hundreds of football fans in San Fernando and Barataria were able to enjoy a series of matches when Club Sando was victorious over Police and W Connection triumphed over Caledonia Morvant, while San Juan Jabloteh drew with St. Ann’s Rangers at their respective home grounds of Naparima College and Barataria Recreation Ground. Recently over 3,000 people came out to watch the first official community football game at the newly renovated Morvant Recreation Ground. Also, on Friday, San Juan Jabloteh will be playing for the first time at the Brian Lara Recreation ground in Santa Cruz.

This level of support for the local game comes as no surprise to those of us who have been involved in football administration since its inception. At the Pro League we have long said that as long as the teams are provided with the opportunity to have secure home fields in their respective communities, where they can collect gate receipts, and provide fans with a quality experience that includes modern, up to standard facilities, the government will eventually not have to pay a subvention to the League or clubs.

An Australian study in 2015 found that every dollar spent on community football, generated at least a $4.40 return on investment in terms of social connectedness, wellbeing, mental health status, employment outcomes, personal development and physical health.”

As football in Trinidad and Tobago returns to its community roots, clubs will now be able to increase their fan bases, monetize their assets and utilize these to earn and develop revenue streams. It goes without saying that revenue generating initiatives such as merchandising are critical to the sustainability and viability of football as a sporting product.

The reality of sport in Trinidad and Tobago, like any other business has always been that without a product and brand to market and promote, success will always remain a far off dream. I am confident that as we expand football into communities across the country (games are now being played at Barataria Oval, Morvant Park Street Recreation ground, Mahaica Oval, and Naparima College and soon at the Brian Lara recreation ground in San Juan and New Settlement ground) we are developing a brand and a product that will position the League to take advantage of sports unique opportunities.

The league would not have been able to take this first step without the support of the Honourable Darryl Smith, Minister of Sport and his staff, the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago, Mr. Anthony Blake and Mr. David John Williams. I would also like to thank Jamaal Shabazz, Ricarda Nelson, Morvant Caledonia United and all the clubs (Police FC, W Connection, Defence Force, coaches and players, who have met us half way by playing on surfaces which can sometimes be described as challenging, and finally our fans.

Fans are the lifeblood of any sport and you have been coming out in your numbers every weekend. On behalf of the players and the league, I thank you. As we celebrate recent successes, there is much to look forward to as we seek to use this momentum to build the market for local sport and form partnerships across our communities. These partnerships have the potential to not only improve our bottom line, but positively impact our communities and in turn our nation.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What about turning one field in the QP Savannah into a community's stadium.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I still waiting to see a south pro team have Skinner park as their home ground. This is a missed opportunity by these teams. Located in the heart of San Fernando, a pro football club can use this venue to position itself as the symbol of the city, where the people in the neighbouring communities to Skinner Park will develop a sentimental attachment with the Sando team. I wish T&T football club owners/ management had the long term vision, I wish they think of their football clubs more as the symbols and representation of the people in communities and towns instead of just another football club. I wish the clubs will get involved in community charities, in the schools in the communities they representing, have youth events..all genuine tactics to develop that relationship with their people. This is how the big sporting franchises in America develop a hardcore fan base in their cities.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 11:41:49 AM by Sando prince »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I still waiting to see a south pro team have Skinner park as their home ground. This is a missed opportunity by these teams. Located in the heart of San Fernando, a pro football club can use this venue to position itself as the symbol of the city, where the people in the neighbouring communities to Skinner Park will develop a sentimental attachment with the Sando team. I wish T&T football club owners/ management had the long term vision, I wish they think of their football clubs more as the symbols and representation of the people in communities and towns instead of just another football club. I wish the clubs will get involved in community charities, in the schools in the communities they representing, have youth events..all genuine tactics to develop that relationship with their people. This is how the big sporting franchises in America develop a hardcore fan base in their cities.

Yuh damn right. It just wasting away. Imagine this venue used to hold international matches in de past.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yuh damn right. It just wasting away. Imagine this venue used to hold international matches in de past.
So no football is played in Skinner Park these days?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What about turning one field in the QP Savannah into a community's stadium.
I read they placed lights around one of the fields so that can be a start. Maybe they can put some bleachers around it.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

There is some precedent in the MLS - Montreal plays their regular league home games at the smaller Stade Saputo usually, and big games (playoffs, etc) at the large Olympic Stadium. Granted both are like a block from each other, but there's a team that has more than one home ground.

I actually think the community field / stadium setup wouldn't be such a bad thing, especially since pro league attendance is so bad.

1]; } ?>