March 28, 2024, 09:11:49 AM

Author Topic: David John Williams Thread.  (Read 121642 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: David John Williams Thread.
« Reply #660 on: April 30, 2021, 07:12:18 PM »
The matter isn't related to the TTFA yet the headline latches on to the TTFA reflexively. If the TTFA was an unblemished institution ... it would probably make that observation formally but as it is accustomed to negative headlines it probably hasn't blinked.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 30, 2021, 07:48:12 PM »
The matter isn't related to the TTFA yet the headline latches on to the TTFA reflexively. If the TTFA was an unblemished institution ... it would probably make that observation formally but as it is accustomed to negative headlines it probably hasn't blinked.
‘HoF construction mogul’ would have would have worked equally well .  :rotfl:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 30, 2021, 08:36:42 PM »
I don't understand how they're so bad at such a basic thing. If you're so incompetent pay a bailiff to do it for you...

They're probably trying to engage Bassant's service (pun intended) since he has demonstrated an ability to deliver surprise. :rotfl:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 30, 2021, 08:45:51 PM »

Speaking of HOMES and HOUSES ... In an anonymous voice note left for an unfortunate credit union, Anonymous may have said: "Cat luck eh dog luck, allyuh mussee feel I name Camps. Good luck."

According to unidentified sources, in the background to the recording, this could be heard. Investigations into whether it was a hint or a taunt are continuing  :rotfl: ... without a proper rudder.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:05:21 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 30, 2021, 09:41:38 PM »

Speaking of HOMES and HOUSES ... In an anonymous voice note left for an unfortunate credit union, Anonymous may have said: "Cat luck eh dog luck, allyuh mussee feel I name Camps. Good luck."

According to unidentified sources, in the background to the recording, this could be heard. Investigations into whether it was a hint or a taunt are continuing  :rotfl: ... without a proper rudder.
  :laugh: :laugh: Nice !  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 10, 2022, 10:49:16 AM »
SportsMax Zone discuss reports that former TTFA President David John-Williams is suing former TTFA General Secretary Ramesh Ramdhan, Wired868 editor Lasana Liburd and Trinidad Guardian investigative journalist Mark Bassant for allegations made against him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oxHnSowtO9U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oxHnSowtO9U</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 24, 2022, 07:32:52 AM »
Hearing reports that he passed away this morning.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former TTFA president David John-Williams has died
« Reply #667 on: June 24, 2022, 08:21:58 AM »
Former TTFA president David John-Williams has died
T&T Newsday

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams has died.

John-Williams led the TTFA from 2015-2019, before being replaced by William Wallace in the TTFA election. Before getting into TTFA administration, John-Williams was heavily involved in local football as the founder of W Connection FC – one of the most successful clubs in T&T.

The Sport Company of T&T said in a social media post, "The board and management of the Sports Company of TT would like to express deepest condolences to the family and close friends of the former TTFA president David John-Williams after his passing earlier this morning.

"Let us always remember his legacy in the sport of football and his contributions to the sporting industry of T&T. RIP."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 24, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »
Condolences to the Williams Family on John's passing. I will honestly say that I did not agree with John's performance towards the latter half of his tenure as TTFA president. I backed him for President in the beginning. I thought as a successful businessman with his football and business acumen, he would have been able to resurrect and/or stabilize the TTFA. But his  antagonism towards Hart quickly left a sour taste for me. I admired the way he ran his football team. They were one of the most successful football team in such a short space of time. But the big question is,  how long will they last ? RIP Mr. Williams.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 25, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
DJW passes...Football community in mourning
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

LOVE him or not, David John-Williams will always be remembered as the president to finally get the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) a home.

The former TTFA president (2015-19) died early yesterday. He was the founder and president of the W Connection Football Club who possessed a genuine passion and dedication for the growth of the sport.

John-Williams loved culture and thought himself to be a good disc jockey (DJ) as he sometimes deejayed at his W Connection’s team matches-- where he dusted off the foreign and local classics.

He loved football and invested heavily in players. His passionate for the game evident as many a time he could be heard shouting at referees during W Connection matches. But, with the huge responsibility on becoming TTFA president, he began to “behave himself” a lot more.

As TTFA president, John-Williams was a divisive figure. He felt you were either in his corner or against him. He brought FIFA president Gianni Infantino and CONCACAF president and FIFA vice-president Victor Montagliani to Trinidad for the inauguration of the TTFA’s Home of Football, which was also attended by Prime Minister Keith Rowley and Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe.

John-Williams would openly boast that regardless of what anyone said about him, no one could take away the fact that he built the ‘Home of Football’. He put in personal time and work into it and could be seen daily, muddy boots and all, at the venue, supervising its construction.

But with the Home of Football came accusations that John-Williams was a dictator, refusing to show TTFA Board Members financial details relating to the construction of the controversial HoF.

Coaches Anton Corneal, Stephen Hart and Technical Director Kendall Walkes may all have bitter-sweet memories from their dealings with John-Williams. All instituted legal action against the TTFA, when under his stewardship, for breach of contract.

One of John-Williams’ greatest critics was Referees Association president Osmond Downer, who offered condolences on behalf of his representative body, on learning of John-Williams’ passing.

Downer credited John-Williams for his role in bringing much-needed professionalism to T&T football through his W Connection FC. “As far as football is concerned, John-Williams made valuable contribution in a certain way. He was one of the pioneers of professional football in the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League with his club W Connection,” stated Downer, adding, “He would not be as favourably remembered as president of the TTFA.”

Former national captain Clayton Morris was also dealing with his own loss yesterday; the passing of his sister, who is also the mother of Jevon Morris, the Terminix La Horquetta Rangers stopper. Additionally, Morris is also mourning the death of the 10-year-old daughter of goalkeeper Perry Martin, one of his players when Morris coached the national Futsal team.

Morris was anything but a fan of John-Williams’ style of management. But he none-the-less recognised the contribution John-Williams made to football. “It is always sad to see the passing of a the life of someone who was part of your journey,” said Morris. The former TT Super League president added: “Despite everything, you have to look at what the person contributed to your journey -- whether positive or negative.”

Former AC Port of Spain manager Michael Awai was one of those still in John-Williams’ corner after John-Williams lost to William Wallace when running to be re-elected as TTFA president. “I think he was misunderstood,” opined Awai. “I think he should also have been more inclusive in his management style. That is why he lost the election.”

But Awai is also of the firm view that John-Williams contributed greatly and was unfairly vilified at times. “The initiative of the Home of Football was a fantastic contribution,” Awai stressed. “The case pertaining to him having a suspected Panama bank account will soon come to an end, and I think people of Trinidad and Tobago will finally get the truth, and all that will be put to rest once and for all.”

The TTFA was among those expressing its deepest sympathies to John-Williams’ immediate family and friends. “Affectionately known as “Presi”, his contributions and commitment over the last decades will be remembered,” the TTFA stated.

TTFA normalisation committee Chairman Robert Hadad, said: “David’s passion for and knowledge of the game will be well remembered. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 25, 2022, 10:55:37 AM »
‘A visionary, pioneer’: Wallace, Sancho remember the late David John-Williams
By Roger Seepersad (T&T Express)

A passionate visionary and a pioneer.

That is how former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association president William Wallace and former Minister of Sport Brent Sancho described the late David John-Williams, who passed away yesterday.

John-Williams took over the TTFA presidency from Raymond Tim Kee (deceased) in November 2015 and served in as the head of the organisation until November 2019 when Wallace took the reins.

He was also the founder and president of the W Connection Football and dabbled in cricket with W Connection Wanderers competing at the highest level of T&T cricket for a number of years.

Sancho, a former Minister of Sport who represented T&T at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, said John-Williams’ legacy looms large in T&T football and that he made a significant impact to the development of the game. “David was a visionary and a pioneer in what he did,” said Sancho.

“He was fully committed to football. His life was football and he was a passionate individual and to suggest that his passing is massive loss to football is an understatement. I think when you look at his contribution, it will transcend beyond generations,” he added.

Wallace shared similar sentiments saying that although they had their differences in terms of TTFA politics, “his heart was in the right place.”

“I think he has made a tremendous contribution to the sport of football through his club and as president of the FA. He did make an effort to get some stuff done as president of the FA and sometimes we would disagree on the way it was done. But I think he made a tremendous effort and I think his heart was in the right place and he will definitely be missed in the football fraternity,” said Wallace.

“It was a not real shock because I was aware of his ailment and it was really sad and we were on different political sides but he is a human being and when a human leaves us, it is always a sad thing and I am sending condolences to his family,” Wallace added.

In terms of the legacy left by the former TTFA boss, Wallace agreed that the Home of Football will be high on the list.

“It was constructed under his regime and he was directly involved in its construction and there are many issues surrounding it but at the end of the day the project was done and it is for whoever comes after to try to see if they can improve on what was left behind but definitely that will be a legacy of David John Williams,” he said.

Meanwhile, Sancho said John-Williams’ was also an instrumental figure in professional football in T&T. “From a playing perspective, what he did in terms the TT Pro League and the instrumental role the Pro League played in our qualification for youth World Cups and senior World Cups is there to be scene as well,” Sancho declared.

“David was the type of individual that was very forceful and very passionate. He bled football and even in his leadership you saw that. He was the type that had a vision for the sport and very few could tell him different about that vision,” he continued.

“As a president, I worked with him in the TT Pro League in the board and even when Central FC first came into the league, he was one of first persons we spoke to for advice and guidance. He wore his emotions on his sleeve and in a time when people talk about Trinidad and Tobago and its administration, for a tiny country we’ve been very successful in our exploits on the field and people like David was instrumental in that success,” Sancho explained.

“I think it has rocked out world in the TT Pro League because of what he meant to the League, to the board and to professional football so it is a big loss a lot of the board members are speechless. As much as we would have known about him ailing for a while, a lot of us were still very downtrodden by the news,” he added.

In terms of what keeping his memory alive, Sancho said it was important that something be done so that future generations will know impact John-Williams had on the sport.

“We tend too much on this country to forget and sometimes sweep a person’s legacy under the carpet. For me personally, I would love something is done enshrine what he has done and understand the impact he would have had so that future generations will have that understanding of his contribution,” Sancho concluded.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 25, 2022, 08:23:21 PM »
Father, businessman, local football pioneer. Strong legacy with local football. Much less so on the national stage.

RIP
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 28, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »
Earl Jean wants Home of Football  named after David John-Williams
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

There is now a call for the controversial Home of Football to be named after David John-Williams, the deceased former T&T Football Association president who lost his battle with cancer on last Friday at the age of 59.

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports On Monday, Earl Jean, a former player, coach and protégé of the man known popularly as “Prezy” believes it would be appropriate, as John-Williams always had a desire to construct a football home in T&T, saying even the team he founded in 1999 known as W Connection had its own home.

“There is so much scandal and bacchanal with that but it would be nice because that’s his legacy. Stuarty (Stuart Charles Fevrier, W Connection coach) and I always spoke to him about that, we said ‘Prezy’ the most important thing for T&T is a home for football because he gave W Connection a home, so he wanted to do the same thing for T&T because he felt he was spending too much money on teams going to hotels and travelling etc.”

“He wanted a home, he wanted a place where the teams could come in and have a meal, and what I am proud about is that he did it in five years.

“Sometimes I feel that that caused his downfall, his death. The fall he had at the site (Home of Football), the stress from all the bacchanal and the noise, but his legacy is the Home of Football and I know they will always remember that he gave them a home that they never had,” Jean said.

In John-Williams, the stocky former St Lucian striker had developed a friend, brother and father, following a relationship that spanned for more than two decades. Prezy was who pursued him at Portuguese club Felgueiras and brought him to T&T. But upon his arrival here, Jean later became an assistant and confidant with key matters of player transfer and management.

John-Williams influence on T&T Pro League

Meanwhile, John-Williams also played a key role in upholding the T&T Pro League, Jean said, and had a burning desire to ensure that local clubs were compensated for their role in developing players. As Managing Director of John-Williams Construction Co Ltd, Prezy’s entry into local football was also his pathway to becoming T&T Football Association president, although he was supported on one hand and rejected on the other.

“I think there was jealousy because when he walked into the Professional League, many people felt that he was trying to hang his hat where it couldn’t reach. They felt he wouldn’t have achieved, he was a young man trying to show himself and it wouldn’t have happened, but David was a special person, in that he didn’t really care too much about what people felt about him.

“He had ideas and dreams and he always told us as players to dream big. And he showed us because by building this team he showed that we could achieve and he put out everything in that. I think there was that jealousy in the country about that, but a lot of people supported him and that’s why it was so unbelievable.

“A lot of people wanted him to become president of the TTFA because they saw how he handled it at his club, people in the country said it was the best professional team because of the standard he set. So how you wanted him to be president and then when he came in, you never gave him a chance?” Jean asked.

In 2015, John-Williams got the nod for the position of T&TFA president ahead of Raymond Tim Kee (now deceased) and was instrumental in ensuring that the embattled football association delivered audited financial accounts that would enable it to receive funding from FIFA, the sport’s world governing body.

John-Williams also spearheaded the construction of the Home of Football, lobbied with FIFA for clubs to be recognised for their work with players and also boasted about negotiating with other countries for the senior national team to play international friendly matches at little to no cost.

However, Jean said John-Williams, who has assisted many people in sports and culture, is undoubtedly an icon who should be sent off in grand style.

The funeral service for John-Williams will take place on Thursday at the St Paul’s RC Church, Southern Main Road, Couva. The service will start at 9.30 am.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 29, 2022, 04:46:09 AM »
Some observations:

1. A FIFA press release regarding the passing of David John-Williams has been absent ... somewhat conspicuously. Is there one?

I have seen a CFU release. I would also be happy to be pointed in the direction of a CONCACAF release.

2. According to some reports, the House that John built is indeed a "john". According to other reports it is serviceable but not superlative. There isn't going to be a stampede to name the facility after others - given all the attendant circumstances.

3. It has informally been regarded as the David John-Williams Home of Football, so go for broke ... notwithstanding the seemingly tacit understanding that such a call would emerge.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 29, 2022, 12:54:17 PM »
Veteran Footballers Foundation remembers ex-TTFA president
T&T Newsday

THE Veteran Footballers Foundation of TT is saddened by the death of former TT Football Association (TTFA) and W Connection president David John-Williams.

John-Williams was president of the TTFA from 2015-2019. He also founded local football club W Connection in 1999.

In a media release, president of VFFOTT Selby Browne said, “It is with sadness that I received news of the passing of former TTFA president David John-Williams earlier (on Friday).”

Browne, who extended condolences to John-Williams' family, remembered his service to TT football.

“David has made a profound contribution to football in TT, starting with the establishment of his club W Connection. He was one of the founding members of the TT Professional League in which his club winnings have been legendary as former Concacaf club champions.

“Through his club W Connection, he provided careers to numerous footballers, coaches, technical and administrative staff and took his club throughout the Caribbean, Central, South and North America into Europe and the Asian Confederation. Several of his professional footballers secured transfers to clubs globally.”

Browne reflected on John-Williams’ achievements as the head of the TTFA.

“As president of the TTFA, David’s vision for the development of the TTFA resulted (in) moving the assets of the association from a paltry sum in the lower six figures, with the construction of the Home of Football asset owned by the TTFA.”

Recalling his early days, Browne said, “As a young man, David demonstrated his love for sport, calypso and culture. Apart from following his passion for football, which took him to become one of the founding members of the TT Professional League and president of the TTFA, he invested in production of calypsos and promotion of the art form."

John-Williams was also the president of the Naparima Past Students Association.

“I trust David’s family would find strength in God as they mourn at this time. His memory will remain a blessing, and I join in prayer that his soul will rest in peace and rise in eternal glory.”

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 30, 2022, 04:30:43 AM »
Some observations:

1. A FIFA press release regarding the passing of David John-Williams has been absent ... somewhat conspicuously. Is there one?

I have seen a CFU release. I would also be happy to be pointed in the direction of a CONCACAF release.

2. According to some reports, the House that John built is indeed a "john". According to other reports it is serviceable but not superlative. There isn't going to be a stampede to name the facility after others - given all the attendant circumstances.

3. It has informally been regarded as the David John-Williams Home of Football, so go for broke ... notwithstanding the seemingly tacit understanding that such a call would emerge.
that place doesn't even have a weight room, a spar or a training pool, let alone a recreational pool for hotel guest.

you know i often wonder why our people in the caribbean think so small, couldn't all the yes men around him inform him that these things is a must for a football home? the place is just a hotel in the middle of nowhere without in pool. i cringe when i contemplate my people down in that disheveled place, it seems like critical thinking is a rare commodity in that country.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:35:42 AM by pull stones »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 30, 2022, 04:22:56 PM »
Heart in the right place: Football agent Mike Berry pays tribute to David John-Williams
T&T Express

Englishman Mike Berry has made a tribute to David John-Williams, the former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association president (2015-2019) who will be buried today.

Englishman Berry, had a long working relationship with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, having been responsible for landing contracts for many T&T footballers, including Carlos Edwards and Dennis Lawrence.

John-Williams died on June 23 following an ailment and will be laid to rest today, following a funeral service at the St Paul’s RC Church, Southern Main Road, Couva, starting at 9.30 a.m.

John-Williams, a businessman and contractor, was also the founder and president of W Connection Football Club and W Connection Wanderers cricket team.

John-Williams was also one of the pioneers of the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League from its 1999 inception and also was the main force behind the construction of the TTFA’s Home of Football project, which was officially opened in November, 2019, with FIFA President Gianni Infantino, CONCACAF President and FIFA Vice-President Victor Montagliani, Prime Minister Keith Rowley and Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe all present.

Below is Berry’s poetic tribute to John-Williams.

On my first visit to Gods country way back in ninety-nine
I first met DJW for the very first time
A giant of a man with football in his blood
Wanted success for his team and did all that he could
His team played with heart and plenty of style
Winning cups and the Pro League by a country mile
He made sure his players and staff always dressed very smart
Wherever they went he ensured they would look the part

He loved his club and his players he would enhance
Getting them contracts away and giving the youths a great chance
His pride and joy was his beloved W Connection
Which he showered with his love and affection
To make the club a success he felt was his duty
Ably assisted by his good friend and coach “Stuarty”
The club was run in his particular own way
And continued to do so under his daughter Renee

When he set his sights on the national game in T&T
He decided to stand as a candidate for the TTFA Presi
After winning the election and beginning his new role
He carried it out with a lot of passion, commitment, heart and soul
During his tenure there were many ups and downs in his heavy workload
But nobody can ever doubt the effort he always showed
His greatest achievement which was acknowledged by nearly all
Was the TTFA’s first major asset The Home of Football
He worked tirelessly and sweat a lot of blood and tears
To build a legacy that would last for many years
He lost the next election because of too many doubting Thomases
Who all were taken in by several dodgy promises
To DJW this vote was truly a killer

The sad news of his passing was such a shock to me
As it was no doubt for the whole football fraternity of T&T
This giant of a man has achieved a hell of a lot
And his contribution to the game should not be forgot
He was a true pioneer of professional football
Although his communication skills were not the best, was always happy to take a call
And those who had the pleasure to know him will always remember his face
As a man who loved football and whose heart was in the right place

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 01, 2022, 02:42:54 PM »
A Caribbean man’
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

DAVID JOHN-WILLIAMS has been described as a pioneering, purpose-driven, passionate, patriot. Calypsonians sang in his honour and colleagues yesterday spoke of his love for Naparima College, his W Connection FC, his family, and Trinidad and Tobago.

The former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president was laid to rest yesterday. John-Williams, 59, died last Friday, after ailing for some time.

Colleagues and well-wishers paid tribute to the big man of local football, whose rise from a fete match football team organiser saw him elevate to the highest office in local football, when he helmed the TTFA from 2015-’19. It was during John-Williams’ term that the TTFA’s Home of Football was constructed.

Through his very successful W Connection FC, John-Williams was one of the pioneers of the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League from its 1999 inception, and also was the main force behind the construction of the TTFA’s Home of Football project. The HoF was officially opened in November 2019, when FIFA president Gianni Infantino and CONCACAF president and FIFA vice-president Victor Montagliani were among the guests.

Many tributes were made as persons spoke of his love for family, especially his daughter Renee John-Williams.

A businessman and contractor, John-Williams converted W Connection from a fete match football team into this country’s most successful professional club, winning 31 major championships, including five T&T Pro League Championships and three Caribbean Club Championship titles. Among his few unrealised ambitions was winning a CONCACAF Club Championship and achieving a Caribbean Professional Football League.

John-Williams’ close friend David Martin spoke of John-Williams’ first loves, when delivering the eulogy. “David loved W Connection. He loved W Connection and he loved his family,” Martin said. “And his patriotism extended to the Caribbean. His own football club was a callaloo of Caribbean citizens.”

Stubborn and purposeful, John-Williams was described as go-getter. “David had the ability not gifted to many, to create a vision, a dream, and transform it into a reality,” added Martin. “He took the brand of a fete match-playing sports club and created the most decorated local professional football club in over 20 years; leading one ESPN commentator to remark that W Connection was the big, little club in CONCACAF.”

Martin continued: “When he latched on to an idea, you could love him or hate him, but you couldn’t ignore him.” Martin also announced that FIFA, UEFA, CFU, CONCACAF and the TTFA, had all paid tribute to John-Williams.

“David was keenly interested and supported local culture,” noted Martin. “This patriot of a man...some who are older will remember, put on several successful calypso productions. Even giving financial support to some calypso tents.”

John-Williams was said to be strongly touched by social issues and committed to supporting the Point Fortin area. As a lover of culture and calypso also, he would probably have appreciatedhis final send-off. Paying tribute, calypsonian Cro Cro did a rendition of “Memories”, a signature song of the Mighty Sparrow.

“Dear David, I’ll always remember, when ah broken and can’t pay, David always dey. Happily, bubbly, he used to help everybody.” Cro Cro sang, “Dear David, I’ll always remember, when ah was broken and didn’t have ah cent, he help me open the calypso tent. Happily, bubbly, He used to help everybody.” Cro Cro ended by stating: “The worst thing (to) ever happen in June. David John-Williams, gone too soon.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 01, 2022, 03:01:43 PM »
DJW was a 'pioneering, purpose-driven, passionate patriot'
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and W Connection football club president David John-Williams has been remembered as a “pioneering, purpose-driven, passionate patriot” by his close friend David Martin, during his funeral, on Thursday, at the St Paul’s Roman Catholic Church, Southern Main Road, Couva.

The 59-year-old John-Williams died last Friday, after ailing for some time.

John-Williams founded W Connection in 1998 and the club became one of the most successful in T&T’s football history – the club earned five T&T Pro League titles, four FA Cup trophies and six First Citizens Cup trophies.

He also served as the TTFA boss from 2015-2019 and his lasting achievement was the construction of the Home of Football, located next to the Ato Boldon Stadium in Balmain, Couva.

Martin, who was John-Williams' friend for 40 years, said, “David loved W Connection, he loved Trinidad and Tobago football and he loved his family, and sometimes I was tempted to believe it was in that order, but it was not. David loved his family. It was what grounded him.”

He continued, “Most of us know him in the public space, and his lengthy list of achievements, but it was in his family that his heart was rooted.”

Reflecting on John-Williams' life as a football administrator, Martin said, “David had the ability, not gifted to many, to create a vision and transform it to a reality. He took the brand of a fete-match playing squad and created the most decorated local professional football club in over 20 years.”

According to Martin, “This purpose-driven man, when he had an idea or when given an assignment, was all in, 100 per cent, with energy and vigour, that made it difficult for most of us to keep up with. He did not see obstacles, he saw solutions.

“He was meticulous and he was resolute, and that’s another word for stubborn.... boy was he stubborn. But he was stubborn in his purpose, if he felt what he was doing was right and would benefit others. When he latched on to an idea, you could love him or you could hate him, but you could not ignore him. I'm sure the folks in FIFA could attest to that.”

Martin said, “In one sentence, David John-Williams was a pioneering, purpose-driven, passionate patriot. That is the man his family had, that is the man W Connection had, that is the man Trinidad and Tobago football had, that is the man Concacaf had.”

After the service, former CEO of the T&T Pro League, Julia Baptiste, and T&T men’s team coach Angus Eve shared their memories of John-Williams.

“I always remember the passion that he had for the sport,” said Baptiste. “I always would remember the way he would verbalise all that he would want to see done (and) have done. David was really a man who had football at heart, and to take a unit that at one time (was) a fete-match side and bring it to a professional unit, with a number of championships and a lot of trophies, speaks volumes for the desire that he had.

“His desire for the sport was so much that he took it and he made it his own, by showing us what he thinks a professional unit should really be, if we wanted to get into professional football,” she added. “He didn’t just speak it but he did it through his club. I loved the fact that it wasn’t only talk but it’s things that he did. It’s sad to see him go and I think he would be missed. He would be a name that would go on. Everybody knows of his domineering personality, he was an indomitable force.”

Concerning her personal memories of John-Williams, Baptiste said, “David was a friend of mine. He gave me the opportunity to become part of football. I remember going for that interview with the Pro League when it had started (in 1999).

“We didn’t always get along, we didn’t always see eye-to-eye but, after it was all said and done, we could still see one another and say ‘how you’re going’. We respected one another’s opinions.”

Eve, who would have known John-Williams from his days as a player (with San Juan Jabloteh and Joe Public) to a coach (with North East Stars, St Ann’s Rangers and Club Sando), lauded the ex-TTFA boss for “his competitiveness, his willingness to win, his loyalty to his coaches and his players.

“A lot of his players, when they finished playing, went back and coached (at) the club. That shows loyalty and that showed that he cared about the people that passed under his charge.”

Eve heard about John-Williams' death in Honduras, where he was in charge of the T&T team at the Concacaf Under-20 Championship.

“It was a little bit bitter-sweet,” he pointed out. “Sometimes you never get to tell somebody what you’re supposed to tell them. I always like to tell people about the contribution that they would have made.

“None of us are perfect, but David would have made a tremendous contribution to Trinidad and Tobago football and his legacy would live on, with the Home of Football.”

About his personal memories of John-Williams, Eve said, “When his team was playing, you would hear him in the crowd spurring on the players and he was pushing them forward. His passion for the game, his love for the game would be the most memorable things.”

A staunch lover of calypso, veteran artistes Carlos “Skatie” James and Weston “Cro Cro” Rawlins gave impromptu performances at the end of the hour-and-a-half long service.

John-Williams, who was a businessman and contractor by profession, leaves to mourn his wife Vanessa Atherley, children Renee and David Anthony, brothers Louis, Christopher and Patrick, and his grandchildren Sydnie and Gabriel.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 04, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
DJW: Stubborn to a fault
By Fazeer Mohammed (T&T Express)

“Yeah David, but…”

In any discussion with David John-Williams, those three words were invariably the precursor to whatever my response was to his strenuous assertion on some issue or other related to football.

And it was always strenuous, because the founder of W Connection Football Club and former president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association was not a man of half-measures.

So when I read the reporting of David Martin’s eulogising of his long-time friend at last Thursday’s funeral in Couva, especially the part where he focused on his pardner’s single-minded determination, it struck a chord. Here it is:

“He was meticulous and he was resolute, and that’s another word for stubborn…boy was he stubborn. But he was stubborn in his purpose, if he felt what he was doing was right and would benefit others. When he latched on to an idea, you could love him or you could hate him, but you could not ignore him.”

By definition, stubbornness also implies a reluctance to accept another point of view, even when presented with convincing supporting evidence. And that, to me, is where DJW made life so hard for himself and indeed the effective operation of the national game when he was at the helm for those four years from 2015 to 2019.

Surely even those who were solidly on his side during that time will acknowledge that his attitude towards the offering of a different perspective, or an insistence by other officials that due process be followed in matters of the administration of the TTFA, did not make for an environment conducive to good governance.

Transferring that “Commander-In-Chief” sort of style at W Connection, which was phenomenally successful in transforming a fete match side into the most successful local football club of the past 25 years, was bound to result in confrontation. And so it unfolded to his detriment, even with Prime Minister Keith Rowley, FIFA boss Gianni Infantino and CONCACAF chief Victor Montagliani on his side at the opening of the Home of Football on November 18, 2019, mere days before the election which saw him losing out to William Wallace for the top job in local football administration.

To his credit, he accepted the result and moved on, even if the impact of his tenure created ripples which run through various elements of the sport to this day.

When I look back on our interactions over the years, not the formal ones on radio or television but the informal ones, I always recall a telephone conversation nearing the end of his first year as TTFA jefe which brings that “stubbornness” theme to the fore.

It was very clear he wasn’t a fan of Stephen Hart, even if the senior men’s national team coach appeared to have earned broad acceptance for both results and style of leadership of a squad which was gradually improving and, with senior striker Kenwyne Jones as captain, had advanced to the “Hex,” the six-nation final round of CONCACAF qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

So it was no surprise when Hart was fired after Trinidad and Tobago lost the first two games of that final round. Subsequent events and results, even allowing for the shock defeat of the United States at the Ato Boldon Stadium which eliminated them from the World Cup, showed that to be a wrong decision.

Yet even when that axing came up in subsequent discussions, John-Williams maintained it was the right thing to do at the time, invariably adding that time would vindicate him over what were seen as controversial decisions and actions.

Look, I would never claim to have been a friend of David John-Williams but, because of my role in the media, we interacted on a number of occasions and I always found him a very engaging individual even if at the end of all of that engagement his opinions remained rock solid. Hence the “Yeah David, but…”

It raises the obvious question: does that type of personality make for effective leadership?

Clearly it did at the level of W Connection, where he had complete control of a club which was essentially his baby. At the level of national administration though, where systems and committees are supposed to be in place to facilitate the consideration of the inevitable broad range of views as part of the decision-making process, conflict is inevitable.

Speaking of conflict, when I saw that footage of him being pursued and questioned while on the golf course by Mark Bassant of CNC3, I felt discomfort for him at the same time that I appreciated that an investigative journalist was doing his job.

DJW certainly left his mark on local football. Were it not for that stubbornness though, the impact would have been far more positive and expansive. I will miss him.

1]; } ?>